Video: ISIS-inspired terrorist killed outside police station in Paris

posted at 10:41 am on January 7, 2016 by Ed Morrissey

In this case, a better description might be “ISIS terrorist wannabe.” Paris police killed a lone man with a knife and what turned out to be a fake bomb outside of a police station earlier today, and rapidly cleared the area, an effort this video from a French journalist captures. In the end, though, the man had only a knife and some amateurish ISIS propaganda on him:

The attack attempt comes on the first anniversary of the massacre in the Charlie Hebdo offices, NBC News notes:

A knife-wielding man shot dead by Paris police on Thursday was carrying paper with an ISIS flag on it as well as a claim of responsibility, according to the Paris prosecutor.

The incident came as France marked the one-year anniversary of the deadly Charlie Hebdo terror attacks.

The prosecutor’s office said a terrorism investigation has been opened into the incident, which took place outside the Goutte d’Or police station in the 18th arrondissement.

The suspect was carrying a butcher’s knife and shouted “Allahu akbar” — or “God is greatest” — before he was shot dead by police, according to a statement from the prosecutor’s office.

It said a piece of paper with the ISIS flag and a claim handwritten in Arabic were found on the suspect, along with a cellphone. The suspect’s identity has not yet been confirmed, the statement added.

The BBC is reporting that the knife in question was a “meat cleaver,” which has overtones of the London beheading of a British soldier in May 2013.  Prosecutors in Paris have already opened a terror investigation:

The Paris prosecutor’s office says it is opening a terrorism investigation after a man carrying a butcher’s knife and wearing fake explosives showed up at a police station in northern Paris and was killed by police.

The statement Thursday from the Paris prosecutor said the man’s body was found with a cell phone and a piece of paper with an emblem of the Islamic State group and a claim of responsibility written in Arabic. The statement did not provide more details about the claim.

Given the facts as presented in the early going — which are subject to change, of course — the terrorist motive seems pretty clear. The planning and preparation for it looks decidedly more amateurish than the previous attacks in Paris, though. It could possibly have been a decoy to draw resources away from a real target, as seen in the November attacks, but there doesn’t appear to have been any other attacks launched. That makes this look like an ISIS supporter acting on his own with no resources to do anything but kill the first couple of people he contacted, but … why do that in front of a police station, where the response would be fastest and strongest? Perhaps this was a lame attempt at martyrdom, or just someone who wanted to commit suicide by cop, but the latter wouldn’t explain the ISIS propaganda that he carried.

This is a strange incident, to be sure. Perhaps later developments might shed more light on a rational plot, but for the moment, it’s difficult to see any.

Comments

Is there really a difference between between Islamic State and Islamic State supporter? I think really just should be labeled jihad, I think it’s that simple. No matter what your organizational status, you are carrying a bomb, gun, or knife to kill the non-believers.

Oil Can on January 7, 2016 at 10:45 AM

Inept terrorists are the best kind.

Rode Werk on January 7, 2016 at 10:47 AM

Is it possible this guy also ripped the cover off a Radio Shack clock and “built” his own?

Maybe he was just excited about his invention and was running to show it off the local police officers?

Megyn Kellys Lipstick on January 7, 2016 at 10:49 AM

The person holding up the safety tape conveniently sitting on a chair is suspicious looking. Undercover, man, women?/

plutorocks on January 7, 2016 at 10:49 AM

Are the words “His motives are unclear at this time” marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of the press coverage?

CurtZHP on January 7, 2016 at 10:49 AM

This sounds more like “suicide by cop” than an actual attack.

Unless this guy is a complete idiot (even by ISIS standards)

Megyn Kellys Lipstick on January 7, 2016 at 10:51 AM

It is a well know fact Islamic terrorists will test response times in order to better plan and execute later attacks.

So a loner dies, but what have the terrorists learned?

Turtle317 on January 7, 2016 at 10:55 AM

Unless this guy is a complete idiot (even by ISIS standards)

Megyn Kellys Lipstick on January 7, 2016 at 10:51 AM

Never underestimate the power of inbreeding. I’m not joking, first cousin marriage is very common where these guys comes from. And to add that affect up over several generations….

Oil Can on January 7, 2016 at 10:56 AM

According to the US State Department, this wouldn’t be terrorism. Since there is no evidence he was in direct contact with a terrorist group, this is merely a “lone wolf” attack.

Mitoch55 on January 7, 2016 at 10:58 AM

So a loner dies, but what have the terrorists learned?

Turtle317 on January 7, 2016 at 10:55 AM

To attack a softer target than a police station? I get the “testing response times” argument, but the choice of target makes that a moot question.

Ed Morrissey on January 7, 2016 at 11:00 AM

Obviously this guy has been watching too many Trump videos.

HumpBot Salvation on January 7, 2016 at 11:03 AM

Isn’t there some sort of saying about knives, and gunfights, or something?

I recall it being discouraged, but: I simply don’t recall.
Nor, apparently, did Mohammad-bin Deadguy.

orangemtl on January 7, 2016 at 11:04 AM

Inept terrorists are the best kind.

Rode Werk on January 7, 2016 at 10:47 AM

Considering that because mohammed approved of incest that it’s common practice among muslims, this will just about always be the case!

ConstantineXI on January 7, 2016 at 11:05 AM

Isn’t there some sort of saying about knives, and gunfights, or something?

I recall it being discouraged, but: I simply don’t recall.
Nor, apparently, did Mohammad-bin Deadguy.

orangemtl on January 7, 2016 at 11:04 AM

If they carry a knife, you carry a gun.
If they put one of yours in the hospital you send one of theirs to the morgue.

That’s the Chicago Way!

ConstantineXI on January 7, 2016 at 11:06 AM

Too bad for

“Never waste a good crisis” Comrade Clinton

the terrorist had an edged weapon..

Torcert on January 7, 2016 at 11:06 AM

“I think it’s outrageous, just outrageous that the Bundy family, the Koch Brothers and That Man Trump are somehow encouraging this kind of thing” (clutches pearls).

–Deb Wideload Schultz
–Josh Earnest
–MSNBC
–CNN
–NYT
–etc.

orangemtl on January 7, 2016 at 11:07 AM

Ed Morrissey on January 7, 2016 at 11:00 AM

Ed, are you going to cover the actualization from Iran that Saudi Arabia just bombed their embassy in Yemen? It seems like we could have direct conflict soon and not by proxy.

Oil Can on January 7, 2016 at 11:15 AM

How do you kill a fake bomb?

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on January 7, 2016 at 11:16 AM

…are there cries…for “meat cleaver” control?

JugEarsButtHurt on January 7, 2016 at 11:17 AM

The world cannot have enough suicide by cop.

Cindy Munford on January 7, 2016 at 11:21 AM

O/T

Whoopi Goldberg took to The View to rail against automatic weapons and demand they be banned immediately!

We should all stand with Whoopi!

Megyn Kellys Lipstick on January 7, 2016 at 11:21 AM

…are there cries…for “meat cleaver” control?

JugEarsButtHurt on January 7, 2016 at 11:17 AM

One must be a licensed knife dealer or butcher having passed a valid ATK (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Knives) background check, and you are good.

If you make your own shiv, or purchase one at the local Shiv Show, the Feds won’t know about it.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on January 7, 2016 at 11:22 AM

We should all stand with Whoopi!

Megyn Kellys Lipstick on January 7, 2016 at 11:21 AM

The ban should be on ill-informed knee jerk reactions. Ah well…

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on January 7, 2016 at 11:24 AM

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on January 7, 2016 at 11:22 AM

Baseball bats are deadly too. We need to regulate those too. Just think what can happen at a baseball game is no one is properly trained.

Oil Can on January 7, 2016 at 11:26 AM

…are there cries…for “meat cleaver” control?

JugEarsButtHurt on January 7, 2016 at 11:17 AM

About 20 yrs ago, there was a rash of driver window smashes and car jackings by the Lincoln Tunnel. I had my handy meat cleaver on the passenger seat.

katy the mean old lady on January 7, 2016 at 11:26 AM

You know, if these guys are just going to keep attacking people on the anniversary of stuff, all we really need to do is have a few guns on the street a few days a year and all our problems are solved.

Maybe even just make it snipers on rooftops, then neither the perp nor the public will know something’s happening until it’s all over.

The Schaef on January 7, 2016 at 11:30 AM

Maybe he was still celebrating the New Year muslim style.

HumpBot Salvation on January 7, 2016 at 11:33 AM

This is how Daesh gets rid of the stupid ones… test the perimeters and response times. Guarantee you that another terrorist was close by, filming, recording the whole thing. A “cleaver” and a fake bomb is a low-tech way to test a target.

ExpressoBold on January 7, 2016 at 11:42 AM

I had my handy meat cleaver on the passenger seat.

katy the mean old lady on January 7, 2016 at 11:26 AM

Really?

ExpressoBold on January 7, 2016 at 11:43 AM

So does he still qualify for 72 pigs?

GarandFan on January 7, 2016 at 11:46 AM

Really?

ExpressoBold on January 7, 2016 at 11:43 AM

Put your arm in my car? Don’t get it back.

katy the mean old lady on January 7, 2016 at 11:48 AM

“The police acted stupidly.”

BO

revolutionismyname on January 7, 2016 at 11:54 AM

I wonder if the Paris cops recreated the Indiana Jones scene.

Marcola on January 7, 2016 at 11:56 AM

So we’re now combining “wackjob” and “terrorist” attacks. That pretty much blankets the spectrum.

GWB on January 7, 2016 at 12:09 PM

This attack happened 250m from my house. The metro station closed is my metro station.

Dont misunderestimate these tactics. This is just like clockboy. If you think about it this is a very cheap way to cause damage. You dont even have to use any ressources. You just get your crazy people to mount attacks like this and sow discord, sooner or later an innocent person will get taken out by a nervous cop and the situation will get worse. There is no down side for them.

In a very real sense now, I feel both under siege and at war. There is also a sexual component. What happened to the German women this New Year already happened to me on a night bus in Paris, and I wasn’t alone. I didn’t say anything because I was worried they would kill my partner. It was the most terrifying experience because they act totally openly. They know they have total control. And the bus driver was in with them.

But dont underestimate us. Europeans live in a both a very open and tolerant society. But I think youll find our patience has run out. enough is enough. We defeated Hitler with your and the Russians help. we will defeat this lot. People who fear men with crayons and musicians with violins and silly haircuts dont frighten me one jot. They can kill me, but they cant kill what I stand for or the long line of great ancestors who created what I stand for and who I am.

We also know that when push comes to shove, you will be with us because we come from the same values and the same place, therefore we have the same enemies. Obama is not America, people like you on Hot Air are, but also Liberals who are already waking up in their droves.

Esperanza on January 7, 2016 at 12:33 PM

I didn’t say anything because I was worried they would kill my partner.

Esperanza on January 7, 2016 at 12:33 PM

And this is one of the big reasons we “cling” to the 2d Amendment, here.

Sadly, your own elites and gov’ts are taking care of the latter bit.

GWB on January 7, 2016 at 12:38 PM

We tried to warn you euroweenies that Muslims are feral inbreed mutants with souls hewn from Lucifers turd pile.

SpongePuppy on January 7, 2016 at 12:40 PM

We have the same enemies. Obama is not America, people like you on Hot Air are, but also Liberals who are already waking up in their droves.
Esperanza on January

Warms my heart. Well said, in total.

Cleombrotus on January 7, 2016 at 12:53 PM

3…2…1…Because Trump!

dengony on January 7, 2016 at 12:54 PM

I didn’t say anything because I was worried they would kill my partner.

Esperanza on January 7, 2016 at 12:33 PM

And this is one of the big reasons we “cling” to the 2d Amendment, here.

Indeed.

Esperanza on January

Warms my heart. Well said, in total.

Cleombrotus on January 7, 2016 at 12:53 PM

I am not sure the Left-indoctrinated-not-really-Liberals will wake up fast enough.
However, some of the Democrats who are “legacy members” because Grandpa voted for FDR and Mamma for JFK are seeing that the DNC no longer represents their values; and the younger voters never had anything invested in the Hard Left except Free Love, and they are not happy with other parts of The Plan.

Esperanza – thanks for your reality-check.
Stay vigilant – stay safe – and if you need to come over here, I bet someone in the Commentariat would sponsor you.

AesopFan on January 7, 2016 at 4:49 PM

ExpressoBold on January 7, 2016 at 11:42 AM

Didn’t we see that on some TV show?
Which isn’t to say they wouldn’t do it.
CF. the Flying Imams and others.

AesopFan on January 7, 2016 at 4:50 PM

I didn’t say anything because I was worried they would kill my partner.

Esperanza on January 7, 2016 at 12:33 PM

And this is one of the big reasons we “cling” to the 2d Amendment, here.

Indeed.

Esperanza on January

Warms my heart. Well said, in total.

Cleombrotus on January 7, 2016 at 12:53 PM

Esperanza – thanks for your reality-check.

AesopFan on January 7, 2016 at 4:49 PM

Totally for the second amendment. However as you know in the US gun laws are based on law abiding people abiding by the law. At the end of the day, gun laws aren’t worth the paper they are written on.

Thank you so much, in the last couple of years, I have been wondering where to escape to, but no, I am a European, this is my home, I will not leave it to the Barbarians. I will stand and fight. Of course as a 54 year old woman, I hope this doesn’t have to be literally lol.

Esperanza on January 7, 2016 at 6:21 PM