Video: Biden laments lost opportunity to run for President

posted at 8:31 pm on January 7, 2016 by Ed Morrissey

A nice catch from The Hill, as the NBC affiliate that interviewed Joe Biden doesn’t even bother to mention this exchange in their report. They stick to reporting on Biden’s cheerleading for Barack Obama’s meaningless executive actions on guns (“the more the American people learn what we’re doing and not doing, the more support (the action will get)”), but Keisha Grant also asks the VP whether he regrets not running to succeed his current boss in the Oval Office. “I regret it every day,” Biden says, but still thinks it was ultimately the correct decision:

Vice President Biden said Wednesday he regrets not running for president in 2016 but stressed it was ultimately the right call.

“I regret it every day, but it was the right decision for my family and for me, and I plan on staying deeply involved,” he said in an interview with NBC affiliate WVIT in Hartford, Conn.

It’s one of the first times Biden has publicly conveyed remorse about not jumping into the race to succeed President Obama.

Biden agonized over the decision for months during the late summer and early fall following the death of his son, Beau, from brain cancer.

But after road-testing his campaign message and holding dozens of meetings with advisers and family members, he chose not to run, saying it was too late to mount a viable campaign.

I wonder if that’s going to prove true, however. Bernie Sanders still draws large crowds and takes in plenty of cash even with the crowd-out effect of Hillary Clinton’s iron grasp on establishment donors. In a normal cycle, this might have been true, but it’s not a normal cycle in either party. In October, there still might have been room for a dark-horse bid that looked to unite the grassroots and the establishment.

The problem for Biden is he’s simply not that candidate, and wouldn’t have been in October 2014 either. Hillary Clinton’s been in Washington for 23 years; Biden’s been there 20 years longer than that. As Delaware’s Senator, Biden has carried a lot of water for big financial corporations, too, a track record that would hardly endear Team Bernie supporters to Uncle Joe’s banner. Plus, the establishment donors backing Hillary might not be terribly impressed with Biden’s track record of futility in presidential elections … although for some reason they don’t seem bothered by Hillary’s.

With that said, the Democratic Party may come to regret the lack of openings to other candidates in this race, reinforced by a debate schedule that seems to aim for My Mother The Car ratings. If Hillary Clinton boots another chance for the Clinton Restoration this fall, there will be plenty of recriminations, not regret, within their party about how their establishment closed ranks and locked out any potential for a better nominee.

Or maybe, they’ll be the political version of Scottie P. No ragrets, knowutimsayin’?

Comments

If Biden would have ran the only thing this campaign would be missing right now are midgets being shot from a canon. Or is Micheal Murphy planning that for Jeb-Jeb’s next big campaign moment?

Flange on January 7, 2016 at 8:39 PM

Don’t worry, Dear Liar will have Lynch indict Hillary, and the Fascist -Democrats will have a brokered convention with a Draft Biden movement. Biden can do retail politics, Hillary is a horrible candidate.

rbj on January 7, 2016 at 8:41 PM

It’s never too late, Joe! Can you say Biden vs. Romney, my friends?

/AllahPundit

ShainS on January 7, 2016 at 8:48 PM

I still don’t think Biden could’ve beaten Coolidge.

rik on January 7, 2016 at 8:49 PM

Ah! But would Joe Biden have been a better nominee or just a different one? Bernie Sanders isn’t doing well because he’s the best looking old white liberal in the race. Dems too have an anti-establishment faction.

Happy Nomad on January 7, 2016 at 8:52 PM

When do the Joe Biden “Miss Me Yet?” mugs go on sale?

Happy Nomad on January 7, 2016 at 8:53 PM

He prolly plagiarized this response too….

Indiana Jim on January 7, 2016 at 8:54 PM

AFTER he leaves office, you seal clap infested idiot…..

Indiana Jim on January 7, 2016 at 8:55 PM

it wouldn’t have mattered. him and hillary are both brain damaged.

wolly4321 on January 7, 2016 at 8:57 PM

Fire two blasts from a shotgun thru your office door and then decide how much we would miss you. You absolutely worthless tool of a politician…..

Indiana Jim on January 7, 2016 at 9:06 PM

Bull Crap Matters thugs interrupted Trump about 5 times.

“Throw m out” done

Full house,

Trump now let’s the crowd tell who will pay for the wall

“””MEXICO””””” they yell.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 7, 2016 at 9:06 PM

Little Anthony and the Imperials empathize with you, Joe.

onlineanalyst on January 7, 2016 at 9:06 PM

it wouldn’t have mattered. him and hillary are both brain damaged.

wolly4321 on January 7, 2016 at 8:57 PM

Yeah, Hillary pretty much has the pants wetting, Alzheimer’s lane of the democratic race locked down.

Magicjava on January 7, 2016 at 9:08 PM

rbj on January 7, 2016 at 8:41 PM

I don’t think so. Everything Hillary did was done on Obama’s watch. He wouldn’t be able to insulate himself.

RBMN on January 7, 2016 at 9:09 PM

…stand up Joe…

Pelosi Schmelosi on January 7, 2016 at 9:15 PM

I regret that he isn’t running. Consider the Democrat campaign slate of Biden, Clinton, O’Malley, and Sanders.

Ethnic diversity ~ Let’s see. . .nope, they’re all old white folks

Background diversity ~ Nothing but career politicians here

Social diversity ~ The last Democrat “debate” had only one point of contention: Who had the lowest rating with the NRA. There isn’t a paper’s width of difference among them on any topic of significance. Sanders is the only one willing to call himself a Socialist, but they all hold the exact same views on every major topic.

Moral diversity ~ Absolutely not. They are all willing to ignore true corruption such as has come forth from this administration, willingly assisting in the un-Constitutional nature of the Executive Branch’s every move to “fundamentally transform” this nation. They would each throw your life, liberty and pursuit of happiness on the trash heap of their power-grabs.

Freelancer on January 7, 2016 at 9:15 PM

Joe Biden Is Unhinged

Pelosi Schmelosi on January 7, 2016 at 9:19 PM

rbj on January 7, 2016 at 8:41 PM

I don’t think it will get that far. If incitement is inevitable, Hil will have some type of medical emergency that forces her to pull out and Slo Joe rides to the rescue.

Bonus: Biden promises one term only, to “cement” the Obama legacy. That will fire up the Donks who aren’t wed to Hil anyway and are gonna be relieved when she throws in the towel.

Bruno Strozek on January 7, 2016 at 9:23 PM

3rd Party, Joe!

Because it’s worked so well for everyone else, may just get the wish of the puppet-masters that Hillary! win.

(3rd Party is massacre on Reps as actually vote conscious (usually) as opposed to lining own pocketes.)

smokeyblonde on January 7, 2016 at 9:23 PM

He’ll just have to settle for another term as VP

halfbaked on January 7, 2016 at 9:26 PM

Much as I sympathize with his loss of his son, I cannot call Biden a “serious” candidate. If he ran, he’d lose to Carrot Top. And even he would be an improvement over the Democrat stable, with or without Plugs.

Joe is no business in the Oval Office. Having him one heartbeat away has been nerve-wracking enough these last seven years. While The One or Hillary! would destroy us out of spite, Joe might do it by pushing all the buttons in the White House Situation Room “just to see what happens”.

Not to mention breaking off a facedown with ISIS or the mullahs or Putin to have a fascinating conversation concerning the alternate universe inside his boxer shorts with the invisible gerbil he just spotted under the Resolute Desk.

clear ether

eon

eon on January 7, 2016 at 9:34 PM

America is a joke.

Schadenfreude on January 7, 2016 at 9:36 PM

clear ether

eon

eon on January 7, 2016 at 9:34 PM

On a personal level, I just cannot imagine the depth of his loss. I feel for the man. I wouldn’t wish his life experience on anyone.

However, that absolutely DOES NOT give him the right to completely and totally 350 million other people.

smokeyblonde on January 7, 2016 at 9:40 PM

“Completely and totally 350 million other people”???????

Indiana Jim on January 7, 2016 at 9:50 PM

“Completely and totally 350 million other people”???????

Indiana Jim on January 7, 2016 at 9:50 PM

Counting stupid registered voters and the dead and the “estimated” illegals.

Sounds about right given that criteria, eh?

smokeyblonde on January 7, 2016 at 9:53 PM

“Completely and totally 350 million other people”???????

Indiana Jim on January 7, 2016 at 9:50 PM

I am MORE than happy to hear arguments to the contrary! :)

smokeyblonde on January 7, 2016 at 9:54 PM

Smokey. Questioning your sentence formation is all, it doesnt make sense. 350 million people WHAT???

Indiana Jim on January 7, 2016 at 9:59 PM

Indiana Jim on January 7, 2016 at 9:59 PM

Doh! Me Bad!

Word doc says:

However, that absolutely DOES NOT give him the right to completely and totally control 350 million other people in the US.

Stupid Time Warner internet “hiccups” so get interesting posts and emails.

Every spell “count” when spellcheck craps-out and you send a very derogatory term? Yea … that’s where I’m at.

smokeyblonde on January 7, 2016 at 10:06 PM

He might get his chance

Schadenfreude on January 7, 2016 at 10:07 PM

Stupid Time Warner internet “hiccups” so get interesting posts and emails.

smokeyblonde on January 7, 2016 at 10:06 PM

If you’re using the same computer in AZ as TX, then maybe you need to visit the Geek squad and get it checked out.

RickB on January 7, 2016 at 10:12 PM

He might get his chance

Schadenfreude on January 7, 2016 at 10:07 PM

Oh, my! How fun is this getting?!?

If nothing else – even if I end up on a train or a re-education camp, this is damn bloody fun! :)

smokeyblonde on January 7, 2016 at 10:16 PM

RickB on January 7, 2016 at 10:12 PM

I am. :(

But got it sweeped by peeps I trust repeatedly the past 6 motnhs and all is good.

And since only thing that changed is internet provider, going to blame them for being incompetent a’holes.

smokeyblonde on January 7, 2016 at 10:18 PM

Its not too late!

Run Forrest Joe, Run!

LegendHasIt on January 8, 2016 at 12:25 AM

Macacca!

KMC1 on January 8, 2016 at 1:28 AM

nuclearoptional on January 8, 2016 at 1:40 AM

Too funny!

I can just see the chain of “Trump BATF” Convenience stores!

Bye-bye Loves … Hello Trumps BATF! :)

smokeyblonde on January 8, 2016 at 1:43 AM

Biden laments lost opportunity to run for President

He and many others should be lamenting their lengthy prison sentences.

Dr. ZhivBlago on January 8, 2016 at 2:41 AM

Joe, we lament that you had two terms as Vice-President of the United States.

albill on January 8, 2016 at 8:33 AM

Keep your power dry, Joe as you may have to fill in for Hillary after she is charged soon.

Amazingoly on January 8, 2016 at 8:55 AM

This is the master plan.

Joe lets leak he regrets it.

The FBI issues the info regarding Clinton’s server/email, but in the end – as De Genova says – there’s going to be too much for the justice department to ignore.

In steps Biden – and at this point Obama isn’t out there cheerleading for Clinton – and there’s a draft movement of Joe, come save the party.

Joe steps in, Obama gets blacks to vote as he begins stomping for Joe. Joe selects Warren as VP. With her track record, Joe’s pushing for banks for 40 years is not mentioned. And the D’s can still claim they’re breaking the ceiling as they attempt to elect a woman VP.

Best part? Obama pushes to get Joe elected and it is now Obama’s democratic party and the Clintons are finally excised from the party appartchik.

Steve_in_SoCal on January 8, 2016 at 8:58 AM

Video: Biden laments lost opportunity to run for President

With Obama as Brer Fox, and Biden as Brer Rabbit, the White House rehearses a reprise of a favorite Uncle Remus story:

“I’ve got you this time, Brer Rabbit,” said Brer Fox, jumping up and shaking off the dust. “You’ve sassed me for the very last time. Now I wonder what I should do with you?”

Brer Rabbit’s eyes got very large. “Oh please Brer Fox, whatever you do, please don’t throw me into the briar patch.”

“Maybe I should roast you over a fire and eat you,” mused Brer Fox. “No, that’s too much trouble. Maybe I’ll hang you instead.”

“Roast me! Hang me! Do whatever you please,” said Brer Rabbit. “Only please, Brer Fox, please don’t throw me into the briar patch.”

“If I’m going to hang you, I’ll need some string,” said Brer Fox. “And I don’t have any string handy. But the stream’s not far away, so maybe I’ll drown you instead.”

“Drown me! Roast me! Hang me! Do whatever you please,” said Brer Rabbit. “Only please, Brer Fox, please don’t throw me into the briar patch.”

“The briar patch, eh?” said Brer Fox. “What a wonderful idea! You’ll be torn into little pieces!”

Grabbing up the tar-covered rabbit, Brer Fox swung him around and around and then flung him head over heels into the briar patch. Brer Rabbit let out such a scream as he fell that all of Brer Fox’s fur stood straight up. Brer Rabbit fell into the briar bushes with a crash and a mighty thump. Then there was silence.

Brer Fox cocked one ear toward the briar patch, listening for whimpers of pain. But he heard nothing. Brer Fox cocked the other ear toward the briar patch, listening for Brer Rabbit’s death rattle. He heard nothing.

Then Brer Fox heard someone calling his name. He turned around and looked up the hill. Brer Rabbit was sitting on a log combing the tar out of his fur with a wood chip and looking smug.

“I was bred and born in the briar patch, Brer Fox,” he called. “Born and bred in the briar patch.”

And Brer Rabbit skipped away as merry as a cricket while Brer Fox ground his teeth in rage and went home.

…and that’s how the Democratic nomination (briar patch) will be stolen from Hillary in 2016!

landlines on January 9, 2016 at 2:03 AM