Trump on Cruz: Let’s face it, “Ted was in favor of amnesty”

posted at 6:01 pm on January 7, 2016 by Allahpundit

A leftover from yesterday that shouldn’t go unnoticed, as it represents another escalation in the developing Trump/Cruz immigration war. There are two ways Trump might really damage Cruz, I think. One is by going full alpha male on him, insulting him and then gloating that Cruz is a wuss when Cruz inevitably fails to hit back. The other way is by discrediting him on immigration, which has become a proxy issue for all sorts of deeper cultural divides — political correctness, establishmentarianism, transnationalism, and so on. Trump is smart to skip the alpha-male approach, which would probably backfire by making him look even more boorish than he already does, in favor of immigration. He’s got a leg to stand on, after all: Republicans have been debating for weeks whether Cruz’s 2013 work-permit amendment to the Gang of Eight bill really was a poison pill, as he claims, or a double-edged bill designed to give him “moderate” credibility for the general election this year.

But don’t worry about Cruz. He’s got plenty of old amnesty-friendly soundbites from Trump’s past to drop on him if it comes to that. And if you want to stick to the present, he’s to Trump’s right on immigration in at least two ways. One is H-1B visas, which Cruz previously wanted to expand but now wants to freeze per his new, Jeff-Sessions-esque stance towards legal immigration. The immigration platform posted on Trump’s website also calls for limiting visas for low-income workers — but when Trump was asked about that at the GOP debate in October, he seemed to say that he’d be fine with increasing the number of H-1Bs for higher-income workers. H-1B visas are a boutique issue for most voters, though. A bigger issue is the new divide between Trump and Cruz about whether to let deported illegals apply for readmission to the U.S. as legal immigrants. Cruz says no way. Trump, as you’re about to see, seems all for it. Which is … strange, given that one of the engines of Trumpmania among his blue-collar base is that he’s going to guard their jobs more jealously than any other candidate would. Deporting a huge foreign supply of cheap labor only to let it back in again might even the playing field a bit on labor costs, but it doesn’t solve the problem of low-wage competition from foreign-born workers. Why is Trump letting Cruz outmaneuver him here?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

There is no “illegal immigration”. None.

Schadenfreude on January 7, 2016 at 11:21 PM

In short, why is it that immigration and/or immigrants – illegal or legal – seems to be the only problem the Trumpsters care to talk about?

Speakeasy on January 7, 2016 at 11:13 PM

So why do YOU think your boy trails Trump by 28 points nationally?

fossten on January 7, 2016 at 11:22 PM

Wall street Trump supporter complains about what?

Cruz cultist right2bright sock whining about others says what?

Cruz has been the most vocal about stopping the K Street gangs.

While taking huge sums of money and his family being on their payroll. Goodjob.

Weird thing is that Trump loves him some K street lobbying, doesn’t he.

So does Cruz. He just sends his wife to do it, can’t have it reaching the public that he is doing it.

Doesn’t he like to brag that when he wants something from the government he gets it?

Because you prefer that the government gets whatever it wants from us.

So the big question is,

Where is right2bright?

what does he want from government for his benefit that lobbying cannot get him?

To be President.

I am guessing it is pretty big if he is going to spend hundreds of millions of dollars for it.

The Presidency is pretty big isn’t it right2bright?

The general going return on lobbying is about 100 to 1. So he is looking at getting government to return his investment to a few tens of billions of dollars it looks like.

Constitutionalist (Sock of right2bright) on January 7, 2016 at 10:54 PM

Fixed it for you.

NWConservative on January 7, 2016 at 11:22 PM

Speakeasy on January 7, 2016 at 11:13 PM

You slandered every Trump supporter last night as a racist, braindead, socialist morons and have continued to do so.

Why do you expect that any supporter you just wrote several personal attack tirades against, should give you the light of day? Or for that matter, any respect at all?

NWConservative on January 7, 2016 at 11:27 PM

So why do YOU think your boy trails Trump by 28 points nationally?

fossten on January 7, 2016 at 11:22 PM

Cruz’s ceiling seems to be 18% nationally, a few show above that and were proven to be outliers, like Quinnipiac.

NWConservative on January 7, 2016 at 11:29 PM

Cruz is running your classic, election year conversion campaign. I don’t think there’s a single contested issue that he has not flip flopped on.

cimbri on January 7, 2016 at 11:32 PM

cimbri on January 7, 2016 at 11:32 PM

No. Cruz is a consistent conservative. Trump is the flip flopper. Get the picture racist howler monkey!

NWConservative on January 7, 2016 at 11:35 PM

So why do YOU think your boy trails Trump by 28 points nationally?

fossten on January 7, 2016 at 11:22 PM

For the simple reason that immigrants are easy to blame and the other, more complicated issues, are harder to understand and solve. Its easy to look at a foreigner and say, “Go home! You’re not welcome.” It’s much harder to look another American in the eye and ask them why they’re destroying our country, impoverishing the middle class, and securing their own wealth. Especially when their security teams have you in an arm bar.

Speakeasy on January 7, 2016 at 11:47 PM

America’s future

sheryl on January 7, 2016 at 10:32 PM
Schadenfreude on January 7, 2016 at 10:48 PM

Trump support explained

sheryl on January 7, 2016 at 11:58 PM

NWConservative on January 7, 2016 at 11:27 PM

What’s the matter? Did I hurt your feelings? I watched fossten go bare knuckles on a guy who called him/her a “princess.” Grow up. I called you all the “mob” and you are based on what I’ve read on this site over the past few months and tonight. If you don’t want to give me the time of day, that’s up to you. However, all I’ve done tonight is questioned why immigration seems to be the only thing Trumpsters can talk about and why Trumpsters believe immigrants are so bad. If you cannot handle that or respond to those questions, then it doesn’t really matter if you give me the time of day.

Filing a hurt feelings report is useless. Something I learned a long time ago. If you think the questions I’m asking are unfair, then you should challenge them; but if you’re going to cry because I’ve been harsh toward people who would deprive my family of income, security, and well being then you really don’t understand the issue I’m raising.

You talk about giving me the time of day but why should ANY conservative give the Trumpsters or Trump the time of day after witnessing the treatment given to people who question Trump’s bona fides? Pot meet kettle.

(For the record, I never said that Trumpsters were racist or socialist. I’ve called you fascists because Trump is a corporatist and corporatism is nothing but fascism by another name. I’ve said that you’re uninterested in having a serious discussion on these issues I’ve raised tonight and its seems from some of the responses tonight that I was right. I’ve also said that Trumpsters’ main beef is immigration and *bang* Gary demonstrated that I was right. Now I give Schad and Doom credit because they engaged substantively but calling me mean to Trumpsters isn’t a substantive response.)

Speakeasy on January 8, 2016 at 12:03 AM

sheryl is brainless.

Okay let me rephrase it for you, Trump and Cruz will LOSE even more than Romney in the general election.
sheryl on December 28, 2015 at 10:46 PM

Mitt is very handsome, intelligent, attractive man. He looks like Matthew Fox’s, from Lost, distinguished, older brother. Plus it’s kinda sexy that he can speak French…..ooh la la!
sheryl on January 16, 2008 at 11:06 PM

Schadenfreude on January 8, 2016 at 12:12 AM

sheryl is brainless.

sheryl on December 28, 2015 at 10:46 PM

sheryl on January 16, 2008 at 11:06 PM

Schadenfreude on January 8, 2016 at 12:12 AM

This is the fight that’s been brewing for weeks. The two sides have tried to be civil to each other, but we’ve reached that point in the primary where it’s time to bang a gong and get it ON!1!!1!!

DFCtomm on January 8, 2016 at 3:58 AM

It looks like I hit the nail on the head. You demand a serious discussion whilst smearing your opponents, over-generalize and exaggerate the minority as if they are speaking for the majority, and you whine a lot.

You are a SJW using political correctness to try and bludgeon your opponents into submission.

So you personally benefit from illegal aliens? Well then I really got you pegged. The harshest critics here of Trump supporters have all been illegal alien supporters masquerading as conservatives.

Again when you come into a conversation with that sneering, holier than thou attitude, don’t expect people to be civil with you, princess. Let me know when you’re ready to descend from your ivory tower of perfection and bomb throwing to mingle with the racist nativist po’ folks.

OH! Is THAT all? Only admitting to calling people fascists eh, TBSchemer? So TBSchemer, which industries is Trump calling for to be nationalized? When has he talked up a martial citizenry and violent oppression of minority, non-traditional elements in the US? Where are his brownshirts, his private militias at? I eagerly await your response on this.

Speakeasy on January 8, 2016 at 12:03 AM

I didn’t know the thoughts of one individual spoke for everyone, but I forgot who you are. You are an illegal alien supporter and political correctness enforcing SJW, who is masquerading as a conservative, duh!

It is a classic SJW tactic.

NWConservative on January 8, 2016 at 5:07 AM

Not only is Trump similar to Democrats in his political donations and his recently held political beliefs, he is similar to them in that his entire campaign plays to ignorance, bigotry, and stupidity.

Without any of that, he has no support.

Cruz in favor of amnesty?
Ha. He’s not the one who likes cheap labor and said it was “too mean” to force illegal immigrants (“wonderful people”) to self-deport by taking their welfare away and making it more difficult for them to find work.

DRayRaven on January 8, 2016 at 5:38 AM

How can anyone trust Cruz.He was for a path to legalization,but now wants to deport illegals,He called for a 500% increase in H1B visas but now wants to freeze them.He was opposed to Obamatrade,but only after insuring its passage by voting for cloture.He was vehemently against Iran developing a nuclear weapon and then voted for the Corker Amendment which gave them the ranch.Guess when your donor cronies call Ted,you sure come running.Then lo and behold you figure out all their money is only getting you around 14% in the polls-so you decide to embrace every position pioneered by Trump.What a slick fake you have demonstrated yourself to be!

redware on January 8, 2016 at 6:36 AM

The reality is that both Trump and Cruz are extremely weak on illegal immigration and the expansion of legal immigration. Unfortunately, Jeff Sessions and Tom Tancredo aren’t running and the rest of the candidates are completely unacceptable on the subject to the point that I would never considering voting for them.

So that leaves Trump and Cruz with their multiple conflicting statements and actions throughout the years versus what they are saying now. Cruz’ recent declarations seem to be tighter and stricter than what Trump is offering with his undefined “let the good one’s back in” nonsense. Trump does a better job of harnessing the anger and resentment of the absurdity of our immigration tsunami and leading the charge by saying what needs to be said.

So who to vote for, and will they actually follow through with what they are now saying instead of what they said and did in the past? Who knows?

Sammy on January 8, 2016 at 6:45 AM

Whether it be falsely claiming that Cruz “was in favor of amnesty”, or intimating that Cruz is ineligible to be president – If Trump is as awesome as he and his supporters would have America believe – then why does he have to lie? Why can’t Trump simply stick to the truth as Cruz does?

Lying is for cowards.

Pork-Chop on January 8, 2016 at 7:25 AM

Cruz was never for Annesty. Trump was for amnesty as recently as 2014 and is FOR amnesty NOW! He reiterated just a few weeks ago that he will expedite illegals back into the country and legalize them. Cruz will not. Cruz told a “dreamer” that she would be deported. Trump? He backs DACA.

fight like a girl on January 8, 2016 at 8:38 AM

Come on, Allahpundit – you are smarter than to write about this. This is a non-issue. Wolf is specifically stating that Cruz won’t let illegals back in. Trump, confused as always, is trying to make himself different by saying he’d let legal immigration happen. No one is saying that legal immigration is going to stop. Illegals who leave under a Cruz presidency would be eligible, just like anyone else, to apply for legal citizenship. That’s exactly what Trump is saying. In fact, that’s exactly what all the top tier candidates are saying. Build a wall, enforce/expand current laws for entry and employment. That wall will take one or two presidencies, minimum.

This is just chum for low information voters. I look for better from HotAir.

RumblinDurango on January 8, 2016 at 8:39 AM

Why can’t Trump simply stick to the truth as Cruz does?
Lying is for cowards.

Pork-Chop on January 8, 2016 at 7:25 AM

well here is slick teddy cruz telling the truth, unlike now since hes in campaign mode and getting smacked around for choosing donor/owner bribes and foreign invaders over American Citizens:

“Legal Status for 11+ Million Illegals, Double Legal Immigration, Raise H1B visas by 500%”
-Ted Cruz

for the 11 million who are currently in the shadows. If this amendment is adopted to the current bill the effect would be that those 11 million under this current bill would still be eligible for RPI status. [Registered Provisional Immigrant] They would still be eligible for legal status and indeed under the terms of the bill they would be eligible for LPR status as well [Lawful Permanent Resident], so that they are out of the shadows, which the proponents of this bill repeatedly point to as their principle objective — to provide a legal status for those who are here illlegally to be out of the shadows. This amendment would allow that to happen.

And a second point to those advocacy groups that are so passionately engaged. In my view if this committee rejects this amendment, and I think everyone here views it as quite likely this committee will choose to reject this amendment, in my view that decision will make it much, much more likely that this entire bill will fail in the House of Representantives. I dont want immigration reform to fail. I want immigration reform to pass, and so I would urge people of good faith on both sides of the aisle, if the objective is to pass common sense immigration reform that secures the borders, that improves legal immigration, and that allows those who are here illegally to come in out of the shadows
-Ted Cruz

Garyinaz66 on January 8, 2016 at 8:43 AM

Let’s face it. Trump was for illegal immigration and DEMS before he was against it.

If you watch, they will show you who they fear. Your fear is showing Trump.

brainpimp on January 8, 2016 at 8:43 AM

Hey GaryinAZ that has been debunked about 50 times.

brainpimp on January 8, 2016 at 8:44 AM

brainpimp on January 8, 2016 at 8:43 AM

Donald Trump wants the illegals sent back NO AMNESTY!!!
Uploaded on May 8, 2010

brainpimp on January 8, 2016 at 8:44 AM

only in the minds of cruzombies who are so sycophantic they refuse to see the truth, even when on video and repeated often by slick teddy.

Garyinaz66 on January 8, 2016 at 8:54 AM

If you watch, they will show you who they fear. Your fear is showing Trump.

brainpimp on January 8, 2016 at 8:43 AM

Michelle Bachman worked on Jimmy Carter’s campaign. Ronald Reagan and Rick Perry were democrats.

NWConservative on January 8, 2016 at 9:27 AM

Trump on Cruz: Let’s face it, “Ted was in favor of amnesty”

That made me laugh.

We all know that Trump supporters do not understand the word “was”…

And Trump is in favor now!

Trump was in favor of Hillary, Reid, Pelosi…ObamaCare, Planned Parenthood…is he now?

Trump is for amnesty now…Cruz isn’t.

Trump is playing his people as fools…like tossing feed to a bunch of turkeys, lots of gobbling and noise…and getting fattened up for the slaughter when they look up and realize, Trump is a liberal…

right2bright on January 8, 2016 at 9:43 AM

Ronald Reagan and Rick Perry were democrats.

NWConservative on January 8, 2016 at 9:27 AM

Ronald Reagan, a dem 20 years before running for office…so let’s have Trump wait his 20 years…deal?

If you use Reagan as an example…use him properly in context…

right2bright on January 8, 2016 at 9:44 AM

NWConservative on January 7, 2016 at 11:27 PM

And you and your cronies have slandered, for months, every poster who supported someone else…

And now you are whining? Try calling 1-800-waa-waaa

How can you post something like you did without laughing at yourself…

BTW, aren’t you the one who called the blue hairs at the Reagan library who booed Trump for his stupid remarks…”Thugs”…

Grandma and grandpa thugs for not supporting Trump and his foolish antics on stage.

Quit whining and complaining about someone attacking you, when you have been incessant in your attacks. Toughen up cupcake…

right2bright on January 8, 2016 at 9:52 AM

Garyinaz66 on January 8, 2016 at 8:43 AM

You need new material to prop up Trump’s lies – you keep posting the same old worn-out junk.

It’s unclear why Trump lies – but, it makes him looks really bad.

Pork-Chop on January 8, 2016 at 9:58 AM

If you use Reagan as an example…use him properly in context…

right2bright on January 8, 2016 at 9:44 AM

We weren’t talking about the time they were democrats only that they flipped-flopped on positions. But that flew right over your head didn’t it?

NWConservative on January 8, 2016 at 10:04 AM

It’s unclear why Trump lies – but, it makes him looks really bad.

Pork-Chop on January 8, 2016 at 9:58 AM

These posters supports someone who is all in on ethanol lobby, all in on the unions and raising tariffs on the Chinese…

They can spread lies, but they can’t spread them fast enough to stay ahead of what Trump actually states…

It’s a full time job for them trying to spin what Trump actually says.

Now Trump is say “was”…as if Trump was never a democrat, never supported Hillary, Pelosi, Reid…ObamaCare, Planned Parenthood…but now supporting tariffs and ethanol, and amnesty.

Amazing…those Trump boi’s must be exhausted trying to change Trumps position…

right2bright on January 8, 2016 at 10:04 AM

I think Donald Trump is going to choose Scott Brown for V.P. Predictions.

Fleuries on January 8, 2016 at 10:07 AM

NWConservative on January 8, 2016 at 10:04 AM

Pal, over a course of 40 years, peoples minds change…context means something to most people that think logically.

What you think at 25 years old, can be different than 50 years old…that’s not a “flip flop”, that’s a maturity of thought.

Flip flop is when six weeks ago you said pull out of Afghan, and two weeks later you say pull out…like Trump did.

Or When just a few years ago, supported Hillary, Reid, Schumer, Crist, Planned Parenthood…or you said you were all in for deportation, but days later you leave it out of your “detailed immigration plan”…that’s flip flopping.

Not in 1956 you decide to work on Nixon’s campaign…and then decades later run for president…

You don’t understand that? Of course you do, but you can’t or you would be forced to acknowledging that Trump has made a fool out of you.

right2bright on January 8, 2016 at 10:09 AM

Pull out, stay in…

right2bright on January 8, 2016 at 10:09 AM

No, only the ones who started attacking Trump first. And you have been the worst offender. There really almost hasn’t been a Trump thread you haven’t tried to derail with your incessant nagging and lies.

And now you are whining? Try calling 1-800-waa-waaa

He wanted to have a “serious discussion” whilst smearing Trump supporters. He won’t get one unless he’s prepared to talk like an adult, like you sweetie.

I want you to link that. This is the second time someone has attributed something I’ve done without backing it up. And in any case, the audience was completely stacked with republican party officials and therefore the vast majority of them were Jeb Bush supporters.

Just because someone is a “blue hair” doesn’t mean they can’t be called out for their had behavior when they are acting like children.

right2bright on January 8, 2016 at 9:52 AM

I can link to hundreds of posts that have you talking about Trump and/or other posters to show you what whining really is sister.

NWConservative on January 8, 2016 at 10:19 AM

Their original position was to be a democrat, they became a Republican. They flip-flopped in their positions. I didn’t attribute negativity to it, you did.

Again, you are reading way into this sister.

No that would be consistency.

God, it’s really annoying when Senator Trump got all that funding for planned parenthood passed, refused to campaign against Reid, used kid gloves on Hillary Clinton, and worked with Senator Schumer to pass amnesty.

Oh wait, that was currently elected republicans. Sorry I get them mixed up with Senator Trump, responsible for all evil done in Washington DC.

Deportations are covered under enforcing the existing law portion in the plan. What do you think all those ICE agents are for?

right2bright on January 8, 2016 at 10:09 AM

Again, no one was talking about the time he held those positions, except for you, we were talking about positions.

And BTW, does Fiorina still have her positions on her website in video form?

NWConservative on January 8, 2016 at 10:33 AM

Trump…..Liar.

PappyD61 on January 8, 2016 at 12:15 PM

NWConservative on January 8, 2016 at 10:19 AM

Still whining?

“Bobby hit me first…waaaaa”

right2bright on January 8, 2016 at 1:23 PM

And BTW, does Fiorina still have her positions on her website in video form?

NWConservative on January 8, 2016 at 10:33 AM

Better to not have them on, then to lie about them like Trump…

You, in your defintion, think that changing your mind over a 40 year period is the same as flip flopping…

Okay, that’s your definition, you redefined a word to make it fit Trump, and fit your argument.

If that is how you define flip flop..great

flip flop: an abrupt reversal of policy

If you think 20 or 30 years is abrupt…it explains a lot about how you interpret facts.

right2bright on January 8, 2016 at 1:33 PM