Christie: Trust me, I’ve changed my mind on gun rights

posted at 10:01 am on January 7, 2016 by Ed Morrissey

“You’ve called the president a petulant child,” Sean Hannity starts off his interview with Chris Christie, and the governor of New Jersey gratefully embraces the opening to launch an attack on Barack Obama’s executive action on immigration, ObamaCare, and especially gun control. Christie also blasts the Republican-controlled Congress for being “weak … vacillating,” and says, “They haven’t done their job” in standing up to Obama. When it comes to vacillation, though, conservatives have a very specific bone to pick with Christie as well on gun rights, a subject that played a large part in the grassroots’ disillusionment with Christie over the past couple of years.

Hannity reminds Christie that he sounded closer to Obama than most Republicans on this issue in the past. Christie says he’s changed his mind on gun rights, and now he sees the light:

“Well listen, in 1995, Sean, I was 32 years old and I’ve changed my mind,” Christie said. “And the biggest reason that I changed my mind was my seven years as a federal prosecutor. What I learned in those seven years was that we were spending much too much time talking about gun laws against law-abiding citizens and not nearly enough time talking about enforcing the gun laws strongly against criminals.”

During his state Senate bid in 1993, Christie called a GOP effort to repeal the state’s assault weapons ban an “issue which has energized me to get into this race.” Two years later, Christie campaigned as a supporter of an assault weapons ban and called those in opposition “dangerous,” “crazy” and “radical.”

“They must be stopped,” he said at the time.

So his gun-control support was a youthful indiscretion? Now he wants New Jersey to become a “shall issue” state for carry permits, although there doesn’t appear to be much evidence that he’s forwarded that as a proposal. Still, Christie says that his seven years as a prosecutor has made him see the light on the need to protect gun rights for law-abiding citizens. In fact, he sees the light so brightly that Christie can’t even remember the darkness:

But his concession that he simply changed his mind is a dramatic shift for the Republican presidential candidate. When asked about his changing gun stance in November, Christie said he couldn’t remember supporting an assault weapons ban, remarking that maybe he did, but “it doesn’t sound like me.”

Now it sounds like a 32-year-old version of him. Maybe someone introduced the governor to the state-senate candidate from 22 years ago in the past couple of months.

Look, we want to change minds on gun rights (and on abortion, and on a number of other issues). That’s why we engage in politics in the first place. If Governor Christie has truly seen the light on gun control and the foolishness of disarming law-abiding citizens, terrific. But we are entitled to a certain amount of skepticism on claims like this when they are clearly self-serving, especially considering Christie’s track record of action on the issue … or more precisely, lack thereof.

It would be much easier to credit Christie with this change of heart if we saw him using his influence as his state’s chief executive to expand gun rights in New Jersey before last month. As of now, though, the Garden State doesn’t offer reciprocity with any other state on carry permits, and the state’s gun laws routinely snare legal gun owners on that basis who otherwise abided by the law. Christie has had to issue clemency in more than one case to correct those injustices, but there is little evidence that Christie’s epiphany as a prosecutor has changed him enough to act muscularly to reform New Jersey’s gun laws.

I hope Governor Christie has truly had an epiphany on gun rights. If he has, though, then he has something in common with the “weak [and] vacillating” Republican Congress he criticizes here.

Comments

lol

Flapjackmaka on January 7, 2016 at 10:03 AM

I would like to believe him but, I don’t.

Mr. Arrogant on January 7, 2016 at 10:04 AM

Girl, bye.

artist on January 7, 2016 at 10:05 AM

Not buying it, Christie.

Doc Holliday on January 7, 2016 at 10:05 AM

Well at least until the wind changes again and then he will evolve. I think that is the word these lying liberal(yes, even those pretending to be Republicans) use to change their position as the wind changes.

pwb on January 7, 2016 at 10:05 AM

fine…you’re still an Obama hugging GOPe-er, so go back to Jersey

Rogue on January 7, 2016 at 10:06 AM

He should never have left the Sopranos.

Cecil Corn on January 7, 2016 at 10:06 AM

Tossing the B$ flag here. He is lying and he just hopes everyone will buy his abrupt change on gun rights.

Johnnyreb on January 7, 2016 at 10:07 AM

Nope. I don’t buy it.

A man who refused to stand up for the Bill of Rights does not get my vote.

Turtle317 on January 7, 2016 at 10:08 AM

I’m sure the governor has changed his mind. I am also sure that the check is in the mail.

CelebrateHomogeneity on January 7, 2016 at 10:10 AM

So his gun-control support was a youthful indiscretion?

Yep, much like this other person’s youthful indiscretion:

Flashback–Obama, Circa 1990s: ‘I Don’t Believe People Should Be Able to Own Guns’

Rovin on January 7, 2016 at 10:10 AM

The problem isn’t that he’s changed his mind. It’s the fear that he’d change it back the moment he’s sworn into office. How many Republicans did that on amnesty over the last few election cycles?

Doughboy on January 7, 2016 at 10:14 AM

We need a constitutional amendment barring the presidency from anyone who has held office in NY, NJ, IL and even CA (Yes I know where Reagan came from, and my position stands).

clement on January 7, 2016 at 10:17 AM

Ok,

Let’s see what happens when Trump makes him U.S. A.G?

Walter L. Newton on January 7, 2016 at 10:18 AM

Girl, bye.

artist on January 7, 2016 at 10:05 AM

Or Gone Girl.

leftamark on January 7, 2016 at 10:23 AM

Sure, Chris, we believe you. Just like Obama isn’t your BFF. We believe that too.

Mark Boabaca on January 7, 2016 at 10:27 AM

I’m not sure whom to cheer for. Rubio or Christie? That is, cheer for in the ring of Republican Hack jobs! hehe.

Killary's Server on January 7, 2016 at 10:28 AM

I’ll believe him when I’m strolling through Union County my S&W 9mm on my hip.

ktrush on January 7, 2016 at 10:29 AM

I love how far right extremists are so quick to dismiss Christie for comments he made 20 years ago, but anoint Trump champion for all things conservative even though he voted for Clinton and Obama twice and changes positions faster than his hair blows in the wind.

cdw070 on January 7, 2016 at 10:31 AM

cdw070 on January 7, 2016 at 10:31 AM

What’s Christie done in the last 32 years to advance gun rights?

fossten on January 7, 2016 at 10:34 AM

That a poor single mom from PA had to even consider the possibility of languishing in a NJ jail for one minute because she neglected to disarm before crossing a bridge from one US state to another is obscene.

And Fat Boy let her stew for a while before cutting her loose.

It was all “well, we need to look carefully into this matter….blah…blah….blah….”

What he should have done…
Call the persecutor (yeah, that’s what I meant) and tell him, “You let that woman go IMMEDIATELY with our profuse apologies and a $500 gift card to Cabelas, or YOU’LL be looking at jail time!”

CurtZHP on January 7, 2016 at 10:36 AM

From the link….

New Jersey resident Brian Aitken was arrested in 2009 while transporting locked up and unloaded guns legally purchased in Colorado from one residence to another, and was sentenced to seven years in prison.

Megyn Kellys Lipstick on January 7, 2016 at 10:38 AM

cdw070 on January 7, 2016 at 10:31 AM

Politicians are, and must be, held to a higher standard. They are the ones with the power to change or influence the law(s), especially the ones you and I and even rich real estate moguls have to abide by.

leftamark on January 7, 2016 at 10:44 AM

What Christie needs is another hug from his favorite girlfriend.

HiJack on January 7, 2016 at 10:47 AM

So, confirmed, Christie is a liar. But we already knew that from his denial that he (as GOP Gov. Assoc. Chair) endorsed Obama.

Happy Nomad on January 7, 2016 at 10:48 AM

He should never have left the Sopranos.

Cecil Corn on January 7, 2016 at 10:06 AM

Made me smile.

HiJack on January 7, 2016 at 10:49 AM

Whatevs…but then again, I can’t remember what I did yesterday. I do remember my values though, and haven’t changed them much over the years.

Wyznowski on January 7, 2016 at 10:56 AM

What he should have done…

CurtZHP on January 7, 2016 at 10:36 AM

Love it!

SailorMark on January 7, 2016 at 10:57 AM

You guys don’t believe Christie, but you believe Trump and all of his walk backs?

That’s quite remarkable how you can disconnect the two…Trump has dozens of “change my mind”…and Christie gets nailed for this one.

Planned Parenthood, abortion, Hillary, Obama, Reid, Schumer, Crist, ObamaCare, deportation, Afghan, just a few that pops up.

right2bright on January 7, 2016 at 11:09 AM

cdw070 on January 7, 2016 at 10:31 AM

So, you are claiming “far right extremists”(?) are anointing Trump for “all things conservative”? That’s rich, since one of the biggest complaints about Trump is that he is not a conservative.

Besides, this thread is about Christie, not Trump.

In any case, I do not trust Christie. At all.

bobthm3 on January 7, 2016 at 11:13 AM

Fatass says what?

Nutstuyu on January 7, 2016 at 11:15 AM

Dear Gov. Christie,

If you’re as pro-gun as you claim, please sign an executive order that establishes a must-issue procedure for carry permit. DO IT NOW, YOU FAT RINO PIG, THAT’S YOUR LAST CHANCE IN NEW HAMPSHIRE!

Rix on January 7, 2016 at 11:16 AM

right2bright on January 7, 2016 at 11:09 AM

Christie has an actual track record, dummy.

fossten on January 7, 2016 at 11:16 AM

CurtZHP on January 7, 2016 at 10:36 AM

Exactly!!
So, how long has Chrispie been Governor of NJ?
And in that time, how many pardons has he made for victims of NJ’s fascist gun control laws?
And in his time as Governor, which he got because of his claim that “he could get the legislature to do what he wants”, how many of those fascist gun control laws has he even attempted to repeal?

Ya – I don’t believe him either.

dentarthurdent on January 7, 2016 at 11:18 AM

Christie has an actual track record, dummy.

fossten on January 7, 2016 at 11:16 AM

So does Trump, if his supporters weren’t so intent on ignoring it.

gryphon202 on January 7, 2016 at 11:19 AM

Christie is a New Jersey politician, which means at best he doesn’t give a damn about the 2nd Amendment.

RadClown on January 7, 2016 at 11:19 AM

right2bright on January 7, 2016 at 11:09 AM

I don’t really trust Trump either – but Chrispie has been in a position to do something about the laws in NJ, and has not done anything – Trump has never yet been in a political position to be able to change the laws, or pardon people.

dentarthurdent on January 7, 2016 at 11:21 AM

But he’s still mentally even younger than 32 with his slavish views on the climate change nonsense.

otlset on January 7, 2016 at 11:21 AM

What Christie needs is another hug from his favorite girlfriend.

HiJack on January 7, 2016 at 10:47 AM

The Cowboys didn’t make the playoffs – so no more chances at Jerry Jones’ leg in the stadium……

dentarthurdent on January 7, 2016 at 11:23 AM

dentarthurdent on January 7, 2016 at 11:21 AM

Trump has been in a position to use government favors to kick old ladies out of their homes so he can erect parking ramps for his casinos. But maybe I’m just chasing a rabbit trail here…

gryphon202 on January 7, 2016 at 11:23 AM

RadClown on January 7, 2016 at 11:19 AM

don’t blame it on the state. There are quite a few pro-gun folks here in New Jersey; the problem is the oppressive stranglehold on the Senate and the Supreme Court that the Democrats enjoy thanks to gerrymandering. Christie could easily establish a must-issue carry permit system and it wouldn’t lose him any popularity (considering how low he’s now, probably a net gain). It’s the fact that he does not cries to high heaven that he, as in governor Chris Christie, doesn’t believe in the Second Amendment.

Rix on January 7, 2016 at 11:23 AM

gryphon202 on January 7, 2016 at 11:23 AM

That makes him a non-compassionate conservative. You have problem with that, go kiss a Bush.

Rix on January 7, 2016 at 11:25 AM

….was he dry humping someone’s leg while he was saying all this?

JugEarsButtHurt on January 7, 2016 at 11:25 AM

gryphon202 on January 7, 2016 at 11:23 AM

Which is one reason (of many) I really don’t trust Trump either. I like what Trump has been saying – but I really don’t trust him.
But keeping on topic for this thread – Trump has not been in a position to change state laws or pardon people unjustly victimized by the state – Chrispie has.

dentarthurdent on January 7, 2016 at 11:27 AM

Rix on January 7, 2016 at 11:25 AM

What’s conservative about rent seeking? Did I miss something in the last 31 years? :-/

gryphon202 on January 7, 2016 at 11:28 AM

dentarthurdent on January 7, 2016 at 11:27 AM

Politicians gonna politic. They’re really all the same, and to pretend otherwise is just self-delusion.

gryphon202 on January 7, 2016 at 11:28 AM

I have oceanfront property in Arizona..

Brock Robamney on January 7, 2016 at 11:29 AM

JugEarsButtHurt on January 7, 2016 at 11:25 AM

Heh.

bobthm3 on January 7, 2016 at 11:29 AM

I have oceanfront property in Arizona..

Brock Robamney on January 7, 2016 at 11:29 AM

Hopefully, you will, in the near future……

dentarthurdent on January 7, 2016 at 11:30 AM

Look, we want to change minds on gun rights (and on abortion, and on a number of other issues). That’s why we engage in politics in the first place. If Governor Christie has truly seen the light on gun control and the foolishness of disarming law-abiding citizens, terrific. But we are entitled to a certain amount of skepticism on claims like this when they are clearly self-serving, especially considering Christie’s track record of action on the issue … or more precisely, lack thereof.

Totally agree with Ed on this one, but sometimes we are maybe too skeptical — and sometimes, not (h/t all commenters above).
We have to look at the total record and when the “change” occurred and what happened after that.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating, or, as some others famously said,
“Trust, but verify” and “It ain’t over ’til it’s over.”

AesopFan on January 7, 2016 at 11:30 AM

gryphon202 on January 7, 2016 at 11:28 AM

Yes they do – which is why I really don’t trust ANY of them – but some are worse than others……

dentarthurdent on January 7, 2016 at 11:31 AM

To wit

Doughboy on January 7, 2016 at 10:14 AM

AesopFan on January 7, 2016 at 11:31 AM

gryphon202 on January 7, 2016 at 11:28 AM

Well, “crony capitalism” does include the word capitalism…….

dentarthurdent on January 7, 2016 at 11:33 AM

dentarthurdent on January 7, 2016 at 11:31 AM

Exactly, Dent. Asking me “who’s your guy?” is like asking me whether I’d rather have my left hand or my right hand chopped off. I say “No thank you. None of the above,” and I get all kinds of funny looks like I’m ape-shit crazy or something.

gryphon202 on January 7, 2016 at 11:35 AM

gryphon202 on January 7, 2016 at 11:35 AM

Ya, I have a sort of a rough rank ordering of the ones I’d be ok with if they win, but I’m not really “for” anyone on that list, it’s more a matter of which ones I hate the least.
Most are on a list titled “no way in he11”.

dentarthurdent on January 7, 2016 at 11:41 AM

And Fat Boy let her stew for a while before cutting her loose.

What he should have done…

CurtZHP on January 7, 2016 at 10:36 AM

I don’t think we can blame Christie for New Jersey’s absurd gun laws. He’s the governor, and doesn’t get to make the laws. Neither should he do the selective enforcement Obama specializes in, where he goes behind the legislature and effectively unmakes the laws they pass.

But I don’t trust him on the subject of guns, and the case you mention is one of the biggest reasons why. This woman was guilty of absolutely nothing except owning a gun with a concealed carry permit legally in Pennsylvania, and inadvertently straying into New Jersey because she took a wrong turn on an interstate and couldn’t get back out fast enough. And she was sent to jail, in spite of having two very young children depending on her.

What happened to her was a crime. And that’s exactly why a governor has the pardon power in the first place.

The ultimate solution offered was a diversion to avoid jail, with an purge of the crime record once complete. That would have been an acceptable solution if it had been offered in the beginning. But after going through this turmoil for months, all so New Jersey prosecutors can brag about how tough they are on crime, no solution short of a pardon was acceptable.

There Goes the Neighborhood on January 7, 2016 at 11:49 AM

When Christie loses 100 lbs, I’ll believe he’s changed his mind on gun laws.

GarandFan on January 7, 2016 at 11:49 AM

I am so tired of purists. Name one person who hasnt changed their mind. All the Cruz monkeys out there will claim he is pure as driven snow, but King Corn would beg to differ.

drballard on January 7, 2016 at 11:55 AM

The great charm of Christie is he OWES UP TO HIS MISTAKES. Very refreshing. I was an idiot at 32 as well. It took a military man to set me straight on guns, and I’ve been an ardent supporter ever since.

John the Libertarian on January 7, 2016 at 11:56 AM

Christie’s just a tough talking fraud trying to get elected, and as his horrid choice of NJ judges proves, he can’t be taken seriously as a true limited govt candidate that’s actually FOR the people vs for more of the GOVT, as his judicial picks sadly show.

russedav on January 7, 2016 at 12:12 PM

gryphon202 on January 7, 2016 at 11:23 AM

Maybe. If that story is even true. But he used those laws (or loopholes) created by the politicians of the state Trump built Trump’s casinos in. Now I’m not an advocate of kicking old ladies out of their homes for any reason, but how many people did that affect? One? Two? Sixteen? How many people are affected by Christi and his mind changing, especially when he has the power and influence to enact and enforce the same kind of laws Trump used to further Trump’s own interests? Or maybe you’re just against casinos, and especially casino owners who employ hundreds of people?

leftamark on January 7, 2016 at 12:16 PM

Christie has an actual track record, dummy.

fossten on January 7, 2016 at 11:16 AM

So Trump giving money to Pelosi, Hillary, Reid, Crist, Schumer, is not a “track record”?

Him being a lifelong democrat is not a track record? He supporting Planned Parenthood is not a track record?

So, does history start only when a candidate declares, unless they are a politician?

What a weird, even for you, a weird post…that Trump has no actual track record.

You compare year to year, where Christie was and where Trump was, year to year, and you will find Christie infinitely more conservative than Trump…despite Christie as the only one with a “track record”.

Good grief…my oh my…be sure and wipe off your shoes when walking into a house, you stepped in it again…

right2bright on January 7, 2016 at 12:23 PM

Christie: Trust me

Lost me right there.

Pain Train on January 7, 2016 at 12:38 PM

Christie: Trust me

‘Nuff heard.

Marcola on January 7, 2016 at 12:52 PM

“Did I say white? I meant black. Or, sort of a whitey-black blackish white light shade of dark.
“And anyone who questions my position, which totally never changed except when it did, is a crazy uninformed naysayer.”

–Christie.
–And Cankles.
–And Rubio, Yeb, Huck & Kasich.

orangemtl on January 7, 2016 at 1:00 PM

I have oceanfront property in Arizona..

Brock Robamney on January 7, 2016 at 11:29 AM

Up next, Christie becomes a climate change denier.

kringeesmom on January 7, 2016 at 1:02 PM

Another politicion without core values. Who’da thought?

Redglen on January 7, 2016 at 1:05 PM

An American male grows up understanding the importance of the Second Amendment.

GaltBlvnAtty on January 7, 2016 at 1:08 PM

Big. Fat. Liar.

vnvet on January 7, 2016 at 1:40 PM

“The enemy isn’t conservatism. The enemy isn’t liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.” —Lars-Erik Nelson, political columnist

NHElle on January 7, 2016 at 2:20 PM

Christie: Trust me, I’ve changed my mind on gun rights

The thing that I trust is that you really haven’t changed your thinking and that you will change back to an anti-gun stance at the first opportunity.

RJL on January 7, 2016 at 2:45 PM

But he didn’t demonstrate any change when the PA woman (mother, nurse) was charged in NJ for mistakenly thinking her PA permit allowed her to have a gun in her car in NJ.

MTinMN on January 7, 2016 at 3:18 PM

leftamark on January 7, 2016 at 12:16 PM

I am against rent seeking no matter who does it. I don’t give a greasy brown shit what industry you’re in or how many people you employ. When you use government to trample on other people’s property rights as Trump has repeatedly in the past, you’re going to end up on my shit list.

gryphon202 on January 7, 2016 at 4:34 PM

Christie: Trust me, I’ve changed my mind on gun rights

Do not pass GO and do not collect $200.
He has obviously learned nothing from his hug-buddy, obama.

It’s not “changed my mind”, it’s “Evolved”… he needs to just leave now and go away. All he’s doing is embarrassing himself.

Voodoo Chile on January 7, 2016 at 5:25 PM

That football has long since been pulled away, Krispie Kreme.

Merthin on January 7, 2016 at 10:27 PM

Ever since Obama put Springsteen on the phone and Christie cried, he’s dead to me. I defended him, put up with his crappy response to the destruction of NJ by the hurricane, but crying over a washed-up rock star that supports Obama…..? Too much women in that chubby dude.

Hening on January 7, 2016 at 11:38 PM