About that killer cop epidemic…

posted at 7:21 pm on January 6, 2016 by Jazz Shaw

As we’ve already been seeing, the beginning of the year is the traditional time for everyone in the media to start compiling all the statistics from the previous twelve months and scrambling to find what it all means. One of the more sad numbers to add up is the number of people killed in various ways, but the press has a particular fixation on the number of people who die in lethal force encounters with the police. Boy howdy, that must be one heck of a number. From the headlines we see on a nearly weekly basis, you’d think that cops are out there mowing down unarmed (primarily black) suspects with abandon. But as Michael Walsh pointed out at the New York Post last week, the reality turned out to be very different from the hype.

It’s the narrative that’s given rise to the protest movement Black Lives Matter and to a growing public mistrust of the police in general. From Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo., to the recent shooting of a middle-aged woman and a teen in Chicago, the body count seemingly keeps rising, exacerbating racial tensions and keeping the nation on edge. And each incident is breathlessly reported by a media determined to show that America remains deeply, irredeemably racist.

Problem is, it’s simply not true.

Last week, the Washington Post published a study of the police shootings that took place in 2015. Likely they intended the story to be shocking — as on Dec. 24, 965 people were killed by police! Instead, the report quells the notion that trigger-happy cops are out hunting for civilian victims, especially African-Americans.

The specifics, even in the normally biased eye of the Washington Post, look very bad for the SJW and their claims. Walsh picks out a few, among which are these eye opening tidbits.

• White cops shooting unarmed black men accounted for less than 4 percent of fatal police shootings.
  • In three-quarters of the incidents, cops were either under attack themselves or defending civilians. In other words, doing their jobs.
  • The majority of those killed were brandishing weapons, suicidal or mentally troubled or bolted when ordered to surrender.
  • Nearly a third of police shootings resulted from car chases that began with a minor traffic stop.

Possibly the biggest shocker (assuming you get all your information from MSNBC, anyway) is that the total number of unarmed people shot and killed by the police was 90. And more than half of them were white. And simply being “unarmed” doesn’t describe the full set of circumstances for many of them. Is it any wonder that so few municipalities wind up taking cops to trial? And even when they do, the charges frequently don’t hold up under scrutiny.

Let’s just stop and think about that for a moment. Even taking into account the handful of obviously bad shootings ( such as Walter Scott) and the truly tragic accidents like Tamir Rice, we’re talking about a few dozen people here. That’s not to say that every life isn’t important or that each incident shouldn’t be fully and competently investigated, but the idea that the police are out there hunting people down in droves is simply absurd when you look at the actual numbers. You literally have a better chance of being struck and killed by lightning.

Not that I expect these numbers to change the tone of the conversation in the media, mind you. I’m not that much of an optimist. But those are just a few good figures to keep on hand next time it comes up.

Police Line

Comments

If a shop owner puts their hands up, don’t loot.

Hands up don’t loot.

SpongePuppy on January 6, 2016 at 7:23 PM

As retired leo, all perps are innocent and all cops are guilty. Just the way it was.

vnvet on January 6, 2016 at 7:24 PM

Cops vs BLM = Predators vs Aliens. For what it’s worth, aliens are worse.

Rix on January 6, 2016 at 7:25 PM

Scenario: Somebody is trying to break into my house.

Who do I call?

A.The Police
B.#BlackLivesMatter

Hmmm.

portlandon on January 6, 2016 at 7:31 PM

But, but, but, but, but, ‘Racist!’ and all that…
The narrative matters, not the facts.

Especially with a Media that enables the lies rather than exposes them.

But then, they are all branch offices of the Liberal Propaganda Office anyway.

They’ve shirked their duty to the nation for decades.

No wonder they want to control the Internet and its content.

ProfShadow on January 6, 2016 at 7:35 PM

This should make OU812 feel better about the extra 75 dead in Baltimore.

WryTrvllr on January 6, 2016 at 7:35 PM

Yeah, but if we could save just one life………

Cindy Munford on January 6, 2016 at 7:37 PM

Scenario: Somebody is trying to break into my house.

Who do I call?

A.The Police
B.#BlackLivesMatter

Hmmm.

portlandon on January 6, 2016 at 7:31 PM

Trick question…
C. The morgue, to pick up a dead criminal

nextgen_repub on January 6, 2016 at 7:38 PM

Libtards like to preach…If it saves one life…..I’ll say, Harris County Sheriff Deputy Darren Goforth is unavailable for comment.

My favorite video that proves BLM and their mouthpieces in the media are completely unaware:

Activist critical of police undergoes use of force scenarios….

HornetSting on January 6, 2016 at 7:39 PM

vnvet on January 6, 2016 at 7:24 PM

As a retired perp you’re right – John Gotti Jr.

RickB on January 6, 2016 at 7:41 PM

And less cops were killed in 2015 than any other year since the 1800s. So maybe the claims of officers “fearing for their life” are overblown as well. I won’t hold my breath for you to correct your “war on cops” bs rhetoric.

iwasbornwithit on January 6, 2016 at 7:46 PM

that the total number of unarmed people shot and killed by the police was 90.

Heh, my lotto number was 91 this year!

HonestLib on January 6, 2016 at 7:47 PM

iwasbornwithit on January 6, 2016 at 7:46 PM

You seem mad? I am happy deaths are down for all concerned. Some folks are never happy.

HonestLib on January 6, 2016 at 7:50 PM

Well Let me do the math:
965 *.04 = 38.6

So how many murders of unarmed black men by white cops do you think we should be going for?

Tlaloc on January 6, 2016 at 7:52 PM

iwasbornwithit on January 6, 2016 at 7:46 PM

It’s pretty simple. Don’t hold your breath. It could cause more brain damage.

docflash on January 6, 2016 at 7:53 PM

An argument vastly more applicable to terrorism, which we spend enormous sums on despite the tiny amount of damage done.

Tlaloc on January 6, 2016 at 7:54 PM

Tlaloc on January 6, 2016 at 7:52 PM

What were those unarmed dudes up to?

docflash on January 6, 2016 at 7:55 PM

What were those unarmed dudes up to?

docflash on January 6, 2016 at 7:55 PM

They were taking Granny out to church and for ice cream afterward.

RickB on January 6, 2016 at 7:58 PM

iwasbornwithit on January 6, 2016 at 7:46 PM

You’re really that ignorant huh?

I think the point was that cops aren’t killing minorities in some radical fashion…but you obviously lack reading comprehension skills.

Pay attention asswhisperer or go elsewhere to troll.

celt on January 6, 2016 at 7:59 PM

Well that still leaves a number of 25% of the incidents where they were not under attack nor defending civilians.

Jeffreyvdb on January 6, 2016 at 8:00 PM

What were those unarmed dudes up to?

docflash on January 6, 2016 at 7:55 PM

They were all kung fu ninja masters who couldn’t be taken down by the cops without a hail of bullets, natch!

Tlaloc on January 6, 2016 at 8:01 PM

You’re really that ignorant huh?

Pay attention asswhisperer or go elsewhere to troll.

celt on January 6, 2016 at 7:59 PM

Ironic given you completely failed to read his post.

Tlaloc on January 6, 2016 at 8:02 PM

What were those unarmed dudes up to?

docflash on January 6, 2016 at 7:55 PM

They were taking Granny out to church and for ice cream afterward.

RickB on January 6, 2016 at 7:58 PM

I heard they were going to cure cancer while killing the sock gnome hidden in everyone’s dryers.

HornetSting on January 6, 2016 at 8:04 PM

Only guns kill…
Right italic?

CWforFreedom on January 6, 2016 at 8:05 PM

Bornwithit, still with us I see.

CWforFreedom on January 6, 2016 at 8:07 PM

Ironic given you completely failed to read his post.

Tlaloc on January 6, 2016 at 8:02 PM

I quoted it word for word you idiot.

Take your BS elsewhere because we know you and it doesn’t sell here anymore.

celt on January 6, 2016 at 8:10 PM

Only guns kill…
Right italic?

CWforFreedom on January 6, 2016 at 8:05 PM

So if other things are just as deadly as guns I guess you have no need for guns, huh CW?

Tlaloc on January 6, 2016 at 8:12 PM

I quoted it word for word you idiot.

Take your BS elsewhere because we know you and it doesn’t sell here anymore.

celt on January 6, 2016 at 8:10 PM

Jeebus, and you think copy and pasting it means you read it? Try to think for a second before posting next time.

Tlaloc on January 6, 2016 at 8:13 PM

Well Let me do the math:
965 *.04 = 38.6

Tlaloc on January 6, 2016 at 7:52 PM

Was the .6 dude short or not fully grown? Hard to hit a .6 dude. Must have been a good shot.

Style points.

HonestLib on January 6, 2016 at 8:14 PM

The asshat gets to post here, but Davidk, not so much.

HornetSting on January 6, 2016 at 8:15 PM

Jazz tries to cherry-pick a point that’s favorable to police. The article by the Washington Compost is far from scientific. Apparently, their data is compiled based on media reports which are, in turn, gathered from police reports. The fact is that we have pretty terrible data compilations as far as people killed by police. http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-many-americans-the-police-kill-each-year/

Furthermore, as I said above, the circumstances of the shootings are allegations by the police, as reported by the local media. For instance, “guy was coming at police with knife” is something that might be true, but the alleged knife-wielder no longer exists to dispute the claim.

I am concerned about police killings of all races and I think it’s important to always be skeptical of the state’s justifications for killing citizens. Obviously some, maybe even most, are justified. But I certainly couldn’t glean that knowledge from this study.

iwasbornwithit on January 6, 2016 at 8:20 PM

People like Tialoc and the people he/she supports would have us believe it’s all about the cops..

I personally think Tialoc lives in an upscale liberal community where this isn’t an issue and that they are insulated.

Correct me if I’m wrong Tialoc – do you live in an urban ghetto location and are speaking from experience or are you just some liberal insulated from reality. On a side note, I have spent a lot of time in these communities you seem so knowledgable about…we can debate here if you’d like.

celt on January 6, 2016 at 8:20 PM

So if other things are just as deadly as guns …
Tlaloc on January 6, 2016 at 8:12 PM

POS, who said that? Nice try.

Truly, you’re an idiot.

CWforFreedom on January 6, 2016 at 8:21 PM

celt on January 6, 2016 at 8:20 PM

Why would you have to live in an “urban ghetto’ (charming bit of phrasing that, almost disguises your racism, but not quite) in order to be bothered by cops shooting minorities with no cause?

Tlaloc on January 6, 2016 at 8:24 PM

POS, who said that? Nice try.

Truly, you’re an idiot.

CWforFreedom on January 6, 2016 at 8:21 PM

You didn’t *say* it, it’s just a necessary conclusion of your argument that you were to dumb to think through…

Tlaloc on January 6, 2016 at 8:25 PM

iwasbornwithit on January 6, 2016 at 8:20 PM

I too am concerned about things like no-knock invasions and I’m a big advocate for doing away with them..we don’t need swat teams or mini-tanks in every small town or city. I also have a big problem with cowardace and the need for specialized swat teams in case there is any possibility of danger.

We can agree on that – but this BLM rioting is far outside everything else – it’s mod rule as seen in the latest manifest assimilation by teens at the mall in KY – if we allow that then we have lost civility in the country…period!

celt on January 6, 2016 at 8:26 PM

Scenario: Somebody is trying to break into my house.

Who do I call?

A.The Police
B.#BlackLivesMatter

Hmmm.

portlandon on January 6, 2016 at 7:31 PM

dmacleo on January 6, 2016 at 8:29 PM

And less cops were killed in 2015 than any other year….
iwasbornwithit on January 6, 2016 at 7:46 PM

Fewer

/grammarpolice

LegendHasIt on January 6, 2016 at 8:31 PM

Thank you for seeing my criticism. I don’t support BLM. I also don’t support the police as they are the fist of the state. I’m not sure how much can be gleaned by these national statistics anyway, even if an accurate accounting existed. Maybe if the statistics were broken down by city, that might give us some useful data. Really, I prefer to look at things on a case by case basis rather than making judgements about blacks or police based upon national data. IOW, whether or not police killings of blacks are up or down nationally in a given year tells me nothing about whether a killing was justified or not.

iwasbornwithit on January 6, 2016 at 8:44 PM

And less cops were killed in 2015 than any other year….
iwasbornwithit on January 6, 2016 at 7:46 PM
Fewer
/grammarpolice

FTGP ;)

iwasbornwithit on January 6, 2016 at 8:46 PM

Next time a lib needs a cop, they should call the MSM.

GarandFan on January 6, 2016 at 8:47 PM

iwasbornwithit on January 6, 2016 at 8:44 PM

Good points – thanks.

celt on January 6, 2016 at 9:15 PM

How many white men did they kill? How many black men were killed by black cops? How many white men were killed by black cops?

xblade on January 6, 2016 at 9:33 PM

I’m so confused. Because let right wing media tell it going to get killed by a scary Muslim terrorist on my way to 7-11 but there’s literally a 0.00000001% chance of that happening yet and still you guys want to ban muslims and Islam lol. Guess the two sides and their over reactionary tactics arent really that different huh?

Politricks on January 6, 2016 at 9:33 PM

iwasbornwithit

Because you can only be in fear for your life if you actually die…or something.

xblade on January 6, 2016 at 9:36 PM

Tlaloc hardest hit by data.

SpongePuppy on January 6, 2016 at 9:37 PM

I’m so confused.

Politricks

That’s not a secret.

xblade on January 6, 2016 at 9:37 PM

Spook hoods are way more dangerous

Even to their own

Mr Soames on January 6, 2016 at 10:03 PM

portlandon on January 6, 2016 at 7:31 PM

Trick question…
C. The morgue, to pick up a dead criminal

nextgen_repub on January 6, 2016 at 7:38 PM

I was gonna say Smith&Wesson – but I like yours better.

dentarthurdent on January 6, 2016 at 10:22 PM

Politricks on January 6, 2016 at 9:33 PM

Math class in session, so show your work.
How did you get that number?

dentarthurdent on January 6, 2016 at 10:24 PM

What a bummer.

Guess I should rescind my application to the police academy.

/Sarc!

Oxymoron on January 6, 2016 at 10:29 PM

Well Let me do the math:
965 *.04 = 38.6

Tlaloc on January 6, 2016 at 7:52 PM

The real question is, how many could’ve been avoided?

If people acted civilized that number could be a lot lower.

Oxymoron on January 6, 2016 at 10:32 PM

Politricks on January 6, 2016 at 9:33 PM
Math class in session, so show your work.
How did you get that number?

3/300000000=.00000001

iwasbornwithit on January 6, 2016 at 10:41 PM

4 Marines, 14 in San Bernardino = .000006 % chance, and it would have been higher if the clowns in Texas had been successful, and the guy with the knife at the college, and who knows who else.

F X Muldoon on January 6, 2016 at 10:57 PM

iwasbornwithit on January 6, 2016 at 7:46 PM

But how many cops in 2015 were shot “just for being cops” verses other years, huh? Let’s see THOSE numbers.

DethMetalCookieMonst on January 7, 2016 at 8:05 AM

If you have them, share them.

iwasbornwithit on January 7, 2016 at 9:39 AM

O/T remark for Jazz. I like that you are putting the picture from the front page at the end of your articles. I hope you see this and I hope the other writers start too.

Big John on January 7, 2016 at 9:50 AM

iwasbornwithit on January 6, 2016 at 8:44 PM

Perhaps, but right here you have fewer than 45 examples you can look through. What I mean is, this study reports less than 45 unarmed black males who were killed by white cops.

So this shouldn’t take too long. If you’re really this aggrieved, you can go through these on a case by case basis and report back to us how many you think were unjustified, based on the actual evidence.

If you choose not to do so, you can stop whining about it. Sounds fair, right?

runawayyyy on January 7, 2016 at 10:07 AM

Uh no. Because I am not the one asserting that this “study” is evidence of any POV. i pointed out some fundamental flaws above. If you want to defend the findings and methodology, have at it.

iwasbornwithit on January 7, 2016 at 10:24 AM

I wonder how many of the “unarmed” were in those vehicle chases?

GWB on January 7, 2016 at 10:34 AM

Spook hoods are way more dangerous

Mr Soames on January 6, 2016 at 10:03 PM

I’m not one to normally call for banning, but could we please dispense with “Mr Soames”? This is not the only instance of his blatant racism.

GWB on January 7, 2016 at 10:37 AM

DethMetalCookieMonst on January 7, 2016 at 8:05 AM

I think one of the issues is not numbers, but the fact that a large number of those incidents this year can be traced pretty directly to a particular group/movement. Whether there are more or not, it makes the numbers seem more egregious when you can clearly identify them and the motive.

GWB on January 7, 2016 at 10:40 AM

Scenario: Somebody is trying to break into my house.

Who do I call?

A.The Police
B.#BlackLivesMatter

Hmmm.

portlandon on January 6, 2016 at 7:31 PM

Black Homeowner Shot and Critically Wounded after Calling Police to Report Breakin in His Own Home:

So a black guy defends his home from criminal with his gun. Calls 911. Cop comes to his home, finds the black hero still holding his gun, and then shoots him in the neck.

proverbs427 on January 7, 2016 at 3:31 PM

proverbs427 on January 7, 2016 at 3:31 PM

Tell the important part of the story, troll:

….refused to drop his gun when requested,…

Even I know enough to holster or set down my firearm and step away from it when uniformed cops show up.

LegendHasIt on January 7, 2016 at 7:50 PM