Jeb Bush: Your NRA Statesman of the Year, 2003

posted at 8:01 am on January 5, 2016 by Jazz Shaw

I’ve been over Jeb Bush’s resume a number of times these past couple of years but I somehow missed his being honored as the 2003 National Rifle Association’s Statesman of the Year. Presented by Charlton Heston, the prestigious award comes with the group’s iconic flintlock rifle and is a coveted feather in the cap of conservative leaders eager to strut their Second Amendment stuff. As a member of the group myself and regular recipient of their informational materials I was somewhat shocked that I hadn’t heard of that one until Andrew Kaczynski pointed out one uncomfortable fact. The NRA’s Statesman of the Year award does not, in fact, exist. (Buzzfeed)

The former Florida governor has told the story on several occasions, saying he received a rifle from then-NRA president Charlton Heston and was the recipient of the group’s “statesman of the year” honor in 2003.

While the NRA rates the records of politicians on gun issues, the group does not hand out a statesman of the year award. In 2003, the NRA held its annual meeting in Orlando, Florida, with Bush as the keynote speaker. The NRA’s meeting page from that year makes no mention of Bush receiving any award.

A BuzzFeed News search of various archive search engines like Lexis Nexis for the “statesman of the year” award and Jeb Bush only turned up comments this year made by Bush.

The first question that came to mind for me is whether or not the award was presented by Steve Harvey.

This obviously isn’t a deal breaker sort of story and the Bush campaign has apologized for the error and said they would remove references to the award from their social media accounts. The explanation, which I definitely have some sympathy for, was that, “Jeb was mistaken and conflated multiple events unintentionally.” As I’ll get to in a moment, that’s at least somewhat understandable. Jeb was the keynote speaker at the group’s convention that year in Orlando, Florida and was scheduled to be presented with the flintlock rifle by Heston in honor of his keynote speaker status. (Heston was not feeling well and left early, so the rifle was presented by Kayne Robinson instead.)

As I said above, I’m in more of a position these days to have a bit of sympathy for Bush on things like this. We recently returned from handling a family funeral and there’s been a lot of discussion about memory in my house. My mother suffered from advanced dementia in her late 80s and it’s a very disturbing thing to witness to say the least. During the meetings where we set up the funeral arrangements I had a bothersome moment myself when a relative was chatting with me about my father’s funeral back in the 80s. A question had come up about the pallbearers for my mom and I mentioned the arrangements we’d had for dad. I received a strange look and a short while later was reminded in private that I had some of the key details wrong. In fact, one person I remembered being a pallbearer had actually died before my father did. I’ll confess that I was shocked. I honestly believed that the details I recalled were correct, but photos and other evidence proved me wrong.

Time grinds on and as we acquire more silver hair (or lose it entirely in some cases) some of our mental records begin to slip away. The years distort our memories – at least for some of us – and details begin to blend together. With all that in mind I can’t come down too hard on Jeb over this “award” from more than a decade ago. I’m probably starting to make similar mistakes myself.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I forgot to take my Geritol this morning.

BushNRA

Comments

It’s early. What was this about?

docflash on January 5, 2016 at 8:05 AM

If your campaign is based upon being the rational, competent candidate, you need to have your ducks in a row and have everything double checked. Insurgents can be forgiven for mistakes, not establishment types with $100 million in the war chest. Otherwise, what are you buying?

rbj on January 5, 2016 at 8:09 AM

So, ¡El Yeb! is in the early stages of Old Timers Disease? Is that what I am supposed to glean from this retraction of a bald-faced, self-aggrandizing lie?
OK.

ExpressoBold on January 5, 2016 at 8:12 AM

Who’s that doofus with Yeb? It’s certainly not Charlton Heston.

Bat Chain Puller on January 5, 2016 at 8:13 AM

Thinning a bit there Jazz? ;)

Rogue on January 5, 2016 at 8:13 AM

please stop posting about jeb and rube…the pro-amnesty florida twins

Pragmatic on January 5, 2016 at 8:14 AM

===================================================

Jazz, my wife works for the VON,
day-care worker, so spouses can
get a break!

That toll you mentioned, I too, see
it daily, but, from the otherside.:)

Sorry for the O/T.

canopfor on January 5, 2016 at 8:15 AM

Meh! It’s not like I (or anyone else) was going to vote for him anyway.

Racistanyway on January 5, 2016 at 8:16 AM

Insurgents can be forgiven for mistakes…

rbj on January 5, 2016 at 8:09 AM

Who’s an insurgent? Do we have any insurgents in this election cycle?

Walter L. Newton on January 5, 2016 at 8:19 AM

If your campaign is based upon being the rational, competent candidate

rbj on January 5, 2016 at 8:09 AM

I stopped reading right there HA HA HA HA HA HA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HA HA HA HA HA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

fossten on January 5, 2016 at 8:20 AM

This award is so rare, so coveted, so secret that Jeb is the only one who has received it.

Or heard of it.

Any mention of it results in the denial of its existence. It goes up on his wall right there next to the Area 51 Lifetime Merit Award.

clement on January 5, 2016 at 8:23 AM

Who’s that doofus with Yeb? It’s certainly not Charlton Heston.

Bat Chain Puller on January 5, 2016 at 8:13 AM

Might want to be careful calling the motor city madman a doofus.

clement on January 5, 2016 at 8:26 AM

Still trying to figure out which one is JEB in the picture..

dougmva on January 5, 2016 at 8:27 AM

Obaguncontrol has zero chance of surviving legal scrutiny. And I didn’t go to Harvard and (allegedly) get a law degree like Obama (allegedly) did and know this.

In better news: 380 Days Left. And Obama’s lazy lack of attention to details might get the FFL itself ruled Unconstitutional.

Why?

What other CONSTITUTIONALLY GUARANTEED right requires a FEDERAL LICENSE in order to engage in commerce in?

Do newspapers have to be licensed by the Federal Government in order to publish stories?

Do individuals have to be have to be licensed by the Federal Government in order to speak?

Then how can it be Constitutional to that businesses that buy and sell firearms have to be licensed by the Federal Government in order to do so?

It can’t be.

ConstantineXI on January 5, 2016 at 8:30 AM

Might want to be careful calling the motor city madman a doofus.

clement on January 5, 2016 at 8:26 AM

Good grief, when did the Nuge grow a double chin?

Bat Chain Puller on January 5, 2016 at 8:31 AM

Still trying to figure out which one is JEB in the picture..

dougmva on January 5, 2016 at 8:27 AM

It can’t be the guy with the flintlock rifle, guns scare Bushes too much.

ConstantineXI on January 5, 2016 at 8:31 AM

It’s one thing to forget and mentally turn around memories. It’s something else entirely for a campaign to not vet the candidate’s stories so nothing comes back to bite them. That’s on top of the fact that he’s running to be the guy with the nuclear codes. *smh*

(And I’m sure the trolls will come along and remind us of Reagan.)

GWB on January 5, 2016 at 8:31 AM

Jeb Bush always says the right things on gun rights. What what they do, not what they say.

And How embarrassing that it takes BuzzFeed to fact check stuff like this.

Fenris on January 5, 2016 at 8:33 AM

No Choice eh:

The Hill [email protected] 19m19 minutes ago

Top Obama adviser: Republicans left president with no choice on gun actions http://hill.cm/aH6GEgO
==================================

canopfor on January 5, 2016 at 8:34 AM

At my (ahem) advanced years, I can certainly sympathize as well.

That said, unfortunately people in high profile and ultra-responsible positions are held to a much stricter and higher standard. Just look at what happened with Brian Williams.

And for someone applying (as it were) for the highest and most stressful and responsible job in the USA, I’m afraid that this type of major memory lapse and claiming of an award that was merely a thank you type of gift would be pushing the envelop. Tough call all around.

UPNorthWolf on January 5, 2016 at 8:34 AM

Who’s that doofus with Yeb? It’s certainly not Charlton Heston.

Bat Chain Puller on January 5, 2016 at 8:13 AM

Might want to be careful calling the motor city madman a doofus.

clement on January 5, 2016 at 8:26 AM

Jazz’s post says that is Kayne Robinson.

GWB on January 5, 2016 at 8:34 AM

ConstantineXI on January 5, 2016 at 8:30 AM

That’s next.

Fenris on January 5, 2016 at 8:35 AM

No Choice eh:

The Hill [email protected] 19m19 minutes ago

==================================

canopfor on January 5, 2016 at 8:34 AM

Because the Founders intended Congress to be nothing but a Rubber Stamp™ body that does whatever the President orders them to do.

ConstantineXI on January 5, 2016 at 8:35 AM

…Do journalists have to be licensed by the Federal Government in order to write news stories?

ConstantineXI on January 5, 2016 at 8:30 AM

That’s next.

Fenris on January 5, 2016 at 8:35 AM

And certainly possible if Obama does manage to grab the guns. He can do anything he wants (including declare himself Emperor for Life) with impunity if they pull that off.

But he can’t. There aren’t enough Government Goons™ who are ready to die like an army of Redshirts to do it.

Americans will never be disarmed.

ConstantineXI on January 5, 2016 at 8:37 AM

Wow. That picture is just disturbing. Both of men. What a doozy of a negative NRA propaganda pic that is.

deepdiver on January 5, 2016 at 8:38 AM

Every time my parents come back from a trip and show the pictures, it is like they were on two different adventures. Usually, they agree on the country but not necessarily anything else. :0

My point is total accurate recall on a personal level isn’t going to happen. However, when one is running for President, this kind of misrepresentation is not an “error.” Not as egregious as claiming that one came under sniper fire when arriving in Bosnia or asserting that one was pushing bad legislation as a “starting point” for Republican input. But this wasn’t a mistake either.

Happy Nomad on January 5, 2016 at 8:38 AM

It can’t be the guy with the flintlock rifle, guns scare Bushes too much.

ConstantineXI on January 5, 2016 at 8:31 AM

LMAO.. didn’t think of that..

dougmva on January 5, 2016 at 8:39 AM

No Choice eh:

Top Obama adviser: Republicans left president with no choice on gun actions

canopfor on January 5, 2016 at 8:34 AM

“Obviously, the president made a very strong effort to work with Congress,” Jarrett continued. “We just had a hard time getting Republicans to take what most people think are reasonable steps.

How is that obvious. There is no evidence that the rat-eared bastard even talked to Congress. And Obama is so lazy he hasn’t made a strong effort at anything since last year’s NCAA Basketball picks.

I’m as sick and tired of these Obama liars as I am with the Trump liars. Really two peas in the same pod. Neither Trump or Obama want to work within the Constitution and rule of law. Both are anathema to what this nation needs.

Happy Nomad on January 5, 2016 at 8:44 AM

…Americans will never be disarmed.

ConstantineXI on January 5, 2016 at 8:37 AM

I wish I shared your confidence. But countries and a national culture do not last forever, especially when being swamped by people from a different culture who have no interest in assimilating. For example, if something like this happened here today, would there be a national outrcry and a course reversal? I reckon the usual suspects would dismiss the real causes and use it to further exacerbate the problem with their ‘solution’.

Fenris on January 5, 2016 at 8:49 AM

Americans will never be disarmed.

ConstantineXI on January 5, 2016 at 8:37 AM

My SO keeps telling me that, quite emphatically.

And yet I keep remembering back during Hurricane Katrina, all the news coverage showing the police taking guns from everyday private citizens who were only protecting their private homes from looting and vandals while the crisis was ongoing. The private folks would have been shot or ended up in court or jail had they resisted.

That’s how easy it was during a major natural crisis. How many other ways could it happen like that I’d hate to count. That’s why I don’t believe my SO, unless it came down to a major effort to take the guns nationwide. In that case only I can see private folks banding together in major protests and riots to stop it. But I’d bet that the next weather crisis will just bring another chance for them to get the guns.

UPNorthWolf on January 5, 2016 at 8:55 AM

Who’s that doofus with Yeb? It’s certainly not Charlton Heston.

Bat Chain Puller on January 5, 2016 at 8:13 AM

Might want to be careful calling the motor city madman a doofus.

clement on January 5, 2016 at 8:26 AM

Jazz’s post says that is Kayne Robinson.

GWB on January 5, 2016 at 8:34 AM

It’s not him. Don’t know who it is though. Here‘s the full with Kayne Robinson in black tie.

Jeffreyvdb on January 5, 2016 at 9:04 AM

UPNorthWolf on January 5, 2016 at 8:55 AM

A Katrina gun grab won’t ever happen again. It won’t be tolerated.

It worked the first time because it surprised people. It won’t ever work again.

Same here. Obama’s Goons might succeed in their initial raid or two but hard resistance will begin WELL before the tenth, and Goons will drop like Redshirts beaming down to an unknown planet with Captain Kirk. It won’t take many examples before the job of Gun Grabber Goon™ becomes so unappealing that it becomes a job not even Left Wing Fascists are willing do do.

ConstantineXI on January 5, 2016 at 9:11 AM

Some people forget, and some people are just liars.

claudius on January 5, 2016 at 9:18 AM

Some people forget, and some people are just liars.

claudius on January 5, 2016 at 9:18 AM

Yeah, isn’t it funny how people’s forgetfulness always seems to make them look good?

Fenris on January 5, 2016 at 9:20 AM

I remember when his father was all for gun rights, and then he wasn’t, and then he turned in his NRA card and disavowed the organization. It’s all coming back to me, Jeb. The word turncoat comes to mind.

claudius on January 5, 2016 at 9:23 AM

Did they give him the gun at least? The picture suggests he was about to receive the rifle. If he didn’t at least get the gun then he’s in Brian Williams territory.

Buddahpundit on January 5, 2016 at 9:26 AM

There was another picture of Bush with the gun in a story linked further down in the original one. I didn’t reprint it, but it looks like he did at least get the gun.

Jazz Shaw on January 5, 2016 at 9:31 AM

At my (ahem) advanced years, I can certainly sympathize as well.

That’s fair. Someone running to be POTUS absolutely should be held to a higher standard than, say… a drunken grumpy old blogger. (Dear God, at least I hope so. I still have to pay off that last gin shipment.) But seriously, I was just trying to say that I can sympathize with the guy if he begins calling his kids or pets by the wrong name at that stage of the game. I’ve done it.

Jazz Shaw on January 5, 2016 at 9:36 AM

Jazz Shaw on January 5, 2016 at 9:36 AM

Give yourself some credit, you don’t come across as grumpy at all. ;)

Fenris on January 5, 2016 at 9:40 AM

Who’s that doofus with Yeb? It’s certainly not Charlton Heston.

Bat Chain Puller on January 5, 2016 at 8:13 AM

It’s Daniel Boone. Read the article.

HiJack on January 5, 2016 at 9:57 AM

“Eyewitness” testimony is frequently wrong for the same general reasons.

Humans fill in the blanks with their expectations, predilections, and they wrongly combine perceptions to complete their mental picture.

Even though I’ve got decades of experience judging tennis and racquetball, I am dumbfounded when what I swore I saw is proven wrong on instant video replay.

Years ago I shot an intruder in the leg. I was flabbergasted when I saw the physical evidence — it turned out that I had shot him in the other leg than I had believed.

To this day, I can vividly see the replay in my mind of my shooting, him grabbing his right leg and dropping — but that’s not the way it actually happened. The scars on the left leg prove it.

Experience has forced me to accept the “honest mistake” excuse more than I used to. . . .

Younggod on January 5, 2016 at 10:06 AM

I tucked this knowledge into the “Don’t care” file. I am not a ¡Jeb! supporter, but I don’t care if he was mistaken or just outright BS’d this, I won’t be voting for him either way.

BobM88 on January 5, 2016 at 10:28 AM

When Trump talked about seeing “thousands and thousands” of New Jersey Muslims celebrating the 9/11 attack, I knew what happened.

Yes, the Donald is prone to exaggeration, but that’s not it.

He saw or heard of some local Muslims celebrating the downing of the World Trade Center.

He later saw footage of numerous towelheads around the world celebrating the 9/11 attack and various other assorted bad things happening against America.

He honestly thinks he saw many New Jersey Muslims cheering, he’s combined them all in his mind.

What he did is understandable and many of his critics know it.

Putting Trump to a higher standard than human performance is political demagoguery generated by his enemies and accepted by the unenlightened.

Younggod on January 5, 2016 at 10:42 AM

rbj on January 5, 2016 at 8:09 AM

Almost half a percentage point! *ba dum ch*

Ukiah on January 5, 2016 at 11:01 AM

Ed, are you going to take that?

Pain Train on January 5, 2016 at 11:56 AM

Hmmm, what comes after 2003? Oh yeah.

WryTrvllr on January 5, 2016 at 11:58 AM