Finally. Somebody makes the connection between Trump and Joseph McCarthy

posted at 12:41 pm on January 5, 2016 by Jazz Shaw

I’ve long since given up trying to predict what will happen with the presidential campaign of Donald Trump. He’s either on his way to being the GOP nominee in a bum’s rush or there’s some truly spectacular saga of American political theater and drama about to unfold which I can’t even speculate on yet. But the one thing I’ll never get tired of for as long as the show lasts is watching the responses of Trump’s increasingly hysterical critics who have mounted one line of attack after another, only to see them go down in flames as Trump’s fortunes continue to rise.

Saying he “wasn’t serious” didn’t work. Claiming that he’s “not conservative” hasn’t taken much wind out of his sails. Charges of racism, sexism, Islamophobia, xenophobia and (probably) triskaidekaphobia have only shoved him closer and closer to a 50% approval rating. But today I saw what might be a liberal course of last resort in a column by Richard Cohen at the Washington Post. If you can’t take Trump down by comparing him to Hitler, you may has well try comparing him to Joseph McCarthy. And we begin with a less than flattering portrait of the famous communist hunter.

In the late 1940s, Sen. Joseph McCarthy arrived in Columbus, Ohio, to make a speech but within an hour allegedly was shooting craps. “It was a disgusting sight,” according to a source, “to see this great public servant down on his hands and knees, reeking of whiskey and shouting, ‘Come on, babies, Papa needs a new pair of shoes.’ ” What Papa really needed was a kick in the butt.

I’ve never claimed to be more than an amateur historian, but I must confess that I’d never heard that story. Reeking of whiskey? Shooting craps on the sidewalk? I knew there was something I liked about that guy. But where does Trump come into all this? He’s notoriously averse to boozing it up and people who wear suits that cost more than some of us make in a year don’t frequently engage in games that involve kneeling on the pavement.

Donald Trump is not quite yet ready to fill McCarthy’s boots. He has the late senator’s gift for exaggeration and self-worship, and he needs the spotlight the way a vampire needs blood. But he holds no public office, least of all a Senate seat. He commands no committee, the way McCarthy did the one that investigated the Army. He cannot subpoena and he cannot compel testimony and he does not have access to FBI and other confidential files that can be used to destroy careers and reputations. All this is something to shoot for…

What I hear is robust condemnation of him followed almost instantly by a whispered assertion that he is on to something. Maybe so. Our immigration laws are broken and need to be fixed. There is an Islamist threat, but it comes from sociopathic radicals, not from the vast Muslim community.

McCarthy’s contempt for the truth was evident from his earliest days in public office. Yet countless Republicans thought he could be useful and, besides, he raged against the political correctness of his day. His defenders insisted he said what needed to be said. Never mind the exaggerations and the lies. He supposedly spoke a greater truth.

I see. We’re all being hoodwinked! Trump has some secret master plan on the back burner wherein he will take a wrecking ball to freedom and the American Dream, but first he needs access to everyone’s secret personnel files. And the only way for him to get access to that sort of information and influence is to… run for President?

Normally such blistering hyperbole doesn’t merit a response, but Cohen, while wrong on nearly every specific point, may have unwittingly put his finger on a very real aspect of Trump’s popularity which continues to puzzle media observers. McCarthy definitely went overboard with his efforts during his time in the limelight and there were some obvious, negative results. The blacklists which became infamous during that period swept up a lot of people who had no real affiliation with communism or attempts to overthrow our government. But at the same time, it’s hard to deny that he crystallized a national focus and sense of urgency regarding a very real problem. There absolutely was an active communist party in the country for a significant period of time and it was completely antithetical to the common weal in a vibrant democratic republic. That party lasted a lot longer with significant financial backing and public support than Cohen gives them credit for, too. I can still recall seeing nationally run campaign advertisements for Gus Hall when I was a young lad.

But the deeper point is that Trump, like McCarthy, seems to have an ability to point out problems and get people talking even if you don’t agree with him on the specifics. I freely admit that this is an element of “Trumpism” (as it’s being called in some circles) which I totally failed to grasp at first and really only began to consider after hearing about it from our own readers and some other, less frantic voices in new media. Even among those here who are some of Mr. Trump’s biggest supporters, I’d venture to say that each and every one of them can point to one or more policies, statements or past actions of the real estate mogul where they disagree with him. And yet… he gets people up out of their seats and sets them in motion to deal with some very real problems, doesn’t he?

It’s somewhat ironic that on the same day that Cohen published his high pitched screed against The Donald, his own paper released another column which oh so carefully suggests that Trump may have finally gotten people to the point where they are getting fed up with political correctness.

In the 2016 Republican presidential primary season, “political correctness” has become the all-purpose enemy. The candidates have suggested that it is the explanation for seemingly every threat that confronts the country: terrorism, illegal immigration, an economic recovery that is leaving many behind, to name just a few.

Others argue that growing antipathy to the notion of political correctness has become an all-purpose excuse for the inexcusable. They say it has emboldened too many to express racism, sexism and intolerance, which endure even as the country grows more diverse.

“Driving powerful sentiments underground is not the same as expunging them,” said William A. Galston, a Brookings Institution scholar who advised President Bill Clinton. “What we’re learning from Trump is that a lot of people have been biting their lips, but not changing their minds.”

Combining that with the experience of a number of the folks here I’ve spoken to about Trump, that may be one of the best phrases I’ve heard applied to this phenomenon yet. “Biting their lips, but not changing their minds.”

It’s sort of refreshing in a World Collide sort of way. Your thoughts?

JoeMcCarthy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

By the logic employed by the TDS idiots, no one who participated in NYC government in the 1980′ & 90’s should be considered, since the Mafia had a monopoly on window installations in city-owned housing:

ebrown2 on January 5, 2016 at 2:21 PM

You mean THAT was SDN’s angle?

The fact that Trump HAD to deal with the Mafia just to get buildings built and business done, means Trump is corrupt and a Mafioso himself???

SHEESH.

Look, for decades (under administrations both R and D, including REAGAN’S!) the US State Dept knows that in order to simply GET BUSINESS DONE AND SUCCESSFULLY BROUGHT TO COMPLETION, many foreign governments at all levels are “on the take” and thus what State calls “Facilitating Payments” are considered a valid expenditure.

It’s no different in business. You want to build an office building to profit off of in Mexico? You gotta pay “La mordida”. Wanna build a hotel in Dubai? You gotta pay Baksheesh.

In NYC it’d be no different. I have no doubt La Cosa Nostra has its hands into business deals across the NY/NJ/Connecticut region, and has to similarly be paid off in order to bring an otherwise PERFECTLY LEGITIMATE business project to successful completion. You don’t pay, it don’t get built.

In that case, Trump was simply facing business realities in order to get his investment projects completed. It’s not the same as his being INTENTIONALLY criminal. Complicity for successful business outcomes’ sake, is not the same as being “on the take” oneself.

Shirotayama on January 5, 2016 at 2:39 PM

Lying pro-choice POS with mafia ties. The choice of today’s Tru-Cons, obviously…

JohnGalt23 on January 5, 2016 at 1:00 PM

We’re not talking about Ron Paul

Rogue on January 5, 2016 at 1:07 PM

Se, when I accuse The Rug of having LCN ties, I can cite evidence to prove it.

Unlike the lying POS acolytes of The Rug, who can only make baseless charges.

But then. they are so fond of Obama’s lies, I guess they just cannot help themselves.

Modeling themselves after a filthy, greasy, shiftless, lying POS. Imagine that…

JohnGalt23 on January 5, 2016 at 2:39 PM

Shirotayama on January 5, 2016 at 2:39 PM

So, I guess we can expect the same type of lazy expediency from POTUS Rug then?

Can’t wait for the Nicky Scarfo Memorial….

JohnGalt23 on January 5, 2016 at 2:41 PM

Galt,

What is Trump lying about?
Clarification please?
No I’m NOT being snarky.
Simply haven’t seen all of your prior arguments.

Days can literally go by when I’m busy and don’t have time at all to even think of logging on here to see what folks are saying.

Which seriously impinges my info continuity.
So, I’m just asking your thoughts w/o any guile behind the ask.

Shirotayama on January 5, 2016 at 2:44 PM

So, I guess we can expect the same type of lazy expediency from POTUS Rug then?

JohnGalt23 on January 5, 2016 at 2:41 PM

What would you have preferred he do instead?

Shirotayama on January 5, 2016 at 2:45 PM

MJBrutus on January

Man, where have YOU been?

Cleombrotus on January 5, 2016 at 2:47 PM

So, I guess we can expect the same type of lazy expediency from POTUS Rug then?

JohnGalt23 on January 5, 2016 at 2:41 PM

Note that I still haven’t made my mind up about which candidate I’m going to vote for in my state’s primary, BUT:

Businessmen are in business to make a profit off their investments.
Otherwise they eventually go bust.

I’m not sure why you term a businessman making payments to an organized crime organization acting as gatekeeper to realizing successful, profitable completion of his investment project, is perceived by you as “lazy expediency”.

The Reverse: Lazy expediency for a businessman would be to NOT pay the “facilitating payment” and thus ensure his project never gets completed, and also thus ensure he realizes a loss.

That’s just business. People invest money in order to MAKE money.
It’s called “capitalism”.

That said: The CEO/Chairman of a large investment/building enterprise is NOT the same role as a POTUS. Some behaviors that would be expected and normal in the business world, would put any POTUS in a world of hurt if they surfaced into the light of day.

But that doesn’t mean that men holding the position of POTUS for the past 200+ years HAVEN’T engaged in them.

Galt, I’m not sure what it is you expect from Trump other than what businessmen have done in order to succeed, for millenia. Nor am I sure WHY.

I’ve asked you calmly and honestly to engage, but since you seem to be ignoring me as unserious, this is basically my last attempt.

Which means your opinions LOSE my open-minded ears and eyes.

Shirotayama on January 5, 2016 at 3:03 PM

Cleombrotus on January 5, 2016 at 2:47 PM

Hiatus :-)

MJBrutus on January 5, 2016 at 3:05 PM

What would you have preferred he do instead?

Shirotayama on January 5, 2016 at 2:45 PM

The Master of the Art of the Deal?!?!

Gee, I don’t know… maybe buy concrete from people who don’t kill people professionally…?

JohnGalt23 on January 5, 2016 at 3:10 PM

Shirotayama on January 5, 2016 at 3:03 PM

You mean, like NOT get into bed with mafiosi? Like all types of (honest) businessmen have done.

For millenia…

JohnGalt23 on January 5, 2016 at 3:13 PM

JohnGalt23 on January 5, 2016 at 3:10 PM

And if any such concrete vendors aren’t available within a certain radius of the NYC region?

Meaning, he’d have to pay even more than he would otherwise even WITH the facilitating payments added in, because the transportation/shipping costs of concrete, steel, whatever, become prohibitive?

I’m struggling to ascertain the perspective you’re coming from?
Is it a Christian perspective?
A libertarian perspective?
What?

Dude, have you ever prepped a financial analysis and calculated a Net Present Value? Or a break-even?

Shirotayama on January 5, 2016 at 3:15 PM

Note, I’m NOT (yet) a Trumpette.

Simply trying to evaluate this from a business person’s objective, dollars and cents, perspective. No more, no less.

Shirotayama on January 5, 2016 at 3:16 PM

What is Trump lying about?

Shirotayama on January 5, 2016 at 2:44 PM

Oh, where to freaking start?!?!

How about this one:

“I got to know him very well because we were both on 60 Minutes,” Trump said during the GOP debate. “We were stablemates, and we did very well that night.”

The only problem: Trump and Putin were not even in the same country. “60 Minutes” host Charlie Rose actually traveled to Moscow for a two-hour interview with Putin and Scott Pelley interviewed Trump in his New York penthouse.

A lying sack of shiite…

JohnGalt23 on January 5, 2016 at 3:17 PM

For millenia…

JohnGalt23 on January 5, 2016 at 3:13 PM

That would depend on whether that industry or region is CONTROLLED by mafiosi or not. Some are. Some aren’t.

Of COURSE I’d prefer my candidate for president NOT be involved with organized crime outfits like LCN.

All I’m saying that given the location where he built his biz, and that given the line of biz he chose for himself, how it could become an ugly necessity in order for his business to succeed.

Would I prefer he NOT be involved in such things? Of course.
Do I see the inevitability of it given situation, location, or industry?
Unfortunately, Yes.

Shirotayama on January 5, 2016 at 3:19 PM

A lying sack of shiite…

JohnGalt23 on January 5, 2016 at 3:17 PM

Can you name me ANY politician who DOESN’T lie through his/her effing teeth?
I can’t think of one.

Shirotayama on January 5, 2016 at 3:20 PM

What is Trump lying about?

Shirotayama on January 5, 2016 at 2:44 PM

Or this one:

The 9/11 terrorists’ friends, family, girlfriends in the United States “were sent back for the most part to Saudi Arabia. They knew what was going on. They went home, and they wanted to watch their boyfriends on television

A lie:

Filthy, greasy, mafiosi-beholden liar…

JohnGalt23 on January 5, 2016 at 3:21 PM

Seriously, I believe ALL politicians lie.
Even the “good” ones.

Shirotayama on January 5, 2016 at 3:22 PM

Would I prefer he NOT be involved in such things? Of course.
Do I see the inevitability of it given situation, location, or industry?
Unfortunately, Yes.

Shirotayama on January 5, 2016 at 3:19 PM

Exactly the type of spinelessness that allows LCN to propser.

The Spineless Rug…

JohnGalt23 on January 5, 2016 at 3:23 PM

Seriously, I believe ALL politicians lie.
Even the “good” ones.

Shirotayama on January 5, 2016 at 3:22 PM

By all means, feel free to list Ted Cruz’ lies…

JohnGalt23 on January 5, 2016 at 3:24 PM

Se, when I accuse The Rug of having LCN ties, I can cite evidence to prove it.

Unlike the lying POS acolytes of The Rug, who can only make baseless charges.

Modeling themselves after a filthy, greasy, shiftless, lying POS. Imagine that…

JohnGalt23 on January 5, 2016 at 2:39 PM

Considering you just lied because I’m not a Trump supporter, I’m a Cruz supporter, though Trump is my second choice…and you’re well aware of that.

But then again, you’re modeling yourself after a filthy, greasy, shiftless, lying, hypocritical, anti-semetic, racist POS by the name of Ron Paul.

Rogue on January 5, 2016 at 3:25 PM

Considering you just lied because I’m not a Trump supporter,

Rogue on January 5, 2016 at 3:25 PM

Point out where I called you a tRump Ranger, or admit that you cannot…

JohnGalt23 on January 5, 2016 at 3:28 PM

Considering you just lied because I’m not a Trump supporter,

Rogue on January 5, 2016 at 3:25 PM

Point out where I called you a tRump Ranger, or admit that you cannot…

JohnGalt23 on January 5, 2016 at 3:28 PM

Sounds like evidence of a guilty mind, to me…

JohnGalt23 on January 5, 2016 at 3:29 PM

OK, thanks for the link.
I just read it.

I would describe that as “Spewing untruth by pulling it out his @$$ in a stupid attempt to think on his feet”…which in fact IS the same thing as a lie.

And frankly IMHO he should admit that he made it up.
Yes, he was untruthful.

From a policy perspective, I may even agree that threatening jihadis’ families might be a good way to make those jihadis think twice..or it might not, since it might simply convince the jihadis that they’ll surely meet their families in Muzzie paradise, in which case I disagree. It might be worth the experiment.

But I don’t see what he’s done as any different from the “lying on your feet” that other pols engage in.

What’s your deal about the Mafia? Why does Trump dealing with them burn you so much? Is there a personal life aspect to this or something?

Shirotayama on January 5, 2016 at 3:29 PM

By all means, feel free to list Ted Cruz’ lies…

JohnGalt23 on January 5, 2016 at 3:24 PM

I happen to like Ted Cruz very much and he’s one of the candidates I’m considering supporting. I like the positions he takes and his real conservative bent very much.

I am not able to point out or list any of Cruz’ lies.
Frankly I don’t have the free time to research it at the moment, so I yield to you on that basis.

HOWEVER…he’s a politician, and if he’s earned his well-deserved success by NOT lying EVER during his political campaigns on the way to the US Senate, than he’s one of the very few honest pols out there.

And I’m just not yet convinced there’s such a thing as a truly honest pol.

Shirotayama on January 5, 2016 at 3:33 PM

Exactly the type of spinelessness that allows LCN to propser.

The Spineless Rug…

JohnGalt23 on January 5, 2016 at 3:23 PM

The guy builds casinos (among other buildings) for Pete’s sake.
LCN has been involved in the gambling biz for decades.

Maybe what you really ought to be saying is that Trump should have picked a different line of business to succeed in. Yes?

I can see such an argument. But given that he chose the line of biz he chose to be in, choosing to make losses instead of profits isn’t spinelessness, it’s stupidity.

I think a better statement would be that he should have had a spine and proven to himself he could succeed in a more honest, more “pure” line of biz.

That’s at least an argument I can see.

Shirotayama on January 5, 2016 at 3:37 PM

Shirotayama on January 5, 2016 at 3:29 PM

That’s personal, having grown up in Philly and seen many innocents, including honest Italian American businessmen, suffer at the hands of Scarfo and his crew that Trump was so comfortable doing business with…

JohnGalt23 on January 5, 2016 at 3:43 PM

The guy builds casinos (among other buildings) for Pete’s sake.
LCN has been involved in the gambling biz for decades.

Shirotayama on January 5, 2016 at 3:37 PM

It wasn’t gaming that connected them. To their credit, I give both Nevada and New Jersey gaming commissions props for having excised that particular cancer.

No. It was concrete that brought them together…

JohnGalt23 on January 5, 2016 at 3:44 PM

For Richard Cohen to make this comparison, Trump to McCarthy, shows me that the liberal left is scared to bonkers-land. Just as McCarthy dragged influential people in to testify in front of his committee, lefty libs, too, are afraid that they will be singled out and be required to answer for… something. What is that something?
Most of the left reacts to “code words.” John Birch Society. Army-McCarthy Hearings. Nixon. Herbert Hoover. George W. Bush. Now, Trump. There are more bogey men in a liberal’s brain than any psychologist could ever identify, much less exorcise. If the nation gets though Obama (who’s been making Carter look good since 2008) then liberals will have lost their best chance in two generations to destroy the conservative voter.
Long may they lose.

ExpressoBold on January 5, 2016 at 3:45 PM

JohnGalt23 on January 5, 2016 at 3:43 PM

I thought it might be something along those lines given the intensity of your statements about them.

Please don’t misunderstand, I’m not defending LCN.
Actually I also hate that kind of unnecessary cruelty for cruelty’s sake.

So at least I now understand where you’re coming from.
Thanks for that. Was simply struggling to understand.

Shirotayama on January 5, 2016 at 3:46 PM

Shirotayama on January 5, 2016 at 3:33 PM

Given this media slant against conservatives, if Ted Cruz were a quarter of the serial liar that Trump is, you wouldn’t have to look them up. You’d hear about them every news-consuming minute of your waking life.

That you cannot list them should tell you something…

JohnGalt23 on January 5, 2016 at 3:46 PM

Shirotayama on January 5, 2016 at 3:46 PM

In which case I double-down on my earlier position:

Trump should have focused on a line of biz to succeed in where LCN or other similar criminal elements weren’t involved.

I see your point.

I’m not necessarily (yet) dissuaded from possibly voting for him yet.
But I’m not any more committed to voting for him, either.

At this point I’m watching both him and Ted Cruz very, VERY carefully as this whole party nomination process plays out.

In short: I’m still evaluating.

Shirotayama on January 5, 2016 at 3:50 PM

That you cannot list them should tell you something…

JohnGalt23 on January 5, 2016 at 3:46 PM

Fair point.
Point taken.

Shirotayama on January 5, 2016 at 3:51 PM

Which is why I wonder why somebody wealthy AND conservative doesn’t invest in a truly conservative alternative media.

Other than internet sites such as this one and a few others, as well as talk radio, that is.

I’m talking a truly conservative TV news network (which Fox is NOT).

Perhaps it’s ‘coz it couldn’t survive since advertisers would be too scared of the libs to risk selling their goods/services on such a TV network?

Shirotayama on January 5, 2016 at 3:54 PM

The truth is every single person named by McCarthy was a communist agent. Not one single person was ever shown to have been wrongly accused. The Venona transcripts prove it all. Both the FDR and Truman administrations were inundated with them. It is a travesty the libs have been able to get away without any repercussions for their past sympathies.

ssking111 on January 5, 2016 at 4:13 PM

Se, when I accuse The Rug of having LCN ties, I can cite evidence to prove it.

JohnGalt23 on January 5, 2016 at 2:39 PM

Like most everything, it depends on a agreed upon definition. In this case the word “ties” needs to be clarified.
In establishing your “proof” and “evidence”, what is your definition of the concept of having “ties”?

Mimzey on January 5, 2016 at 4:14 PM

I was wrong twice about Trump at the beginning:

First: I thought he was Lucy with the Football. I was wrong…He obviously is serious this time.

Second: I thought he would be more like a political prophet, one who would change the political climate in the country, who would change the rules, but having no political experience I figured he would slip up with his own biggest supporters at some point. I was wrong again…he has proven to have great political instincts and a motor to match.

By the beginning of August (if my memory serves me) I was convinced that he was a serious candidate with exceptional political skills. I wanted Cruz for the nomination, and still do, but would be completely satisfied by Trump. It has been a two horse race for some time in my mind, and to watch those two strategically maneuver against each other has been good stuff. Trump wanting to draw Cruz into fights, Cruz avoiding them (and Trump’s traps) until some real opportunity to hit Trump actually opens up.

William Eaton on January 5, 2016 at 4:48 PM

This is the time the writer at WaPo needs to be asked about Alger Niss…and what does he know about him….(Credit goest to Hewitt)
The ensuing stammering …or crickets….would definitely entertain.
yeas….I proclaim it to be…

FlaMurph on January 5, 2016 at 5:02 PM

Pssst…. McCarthy was right.

FishingwFredo on January 5, 2016 at 5:27 PM

Joe McCarthy is an American HERO and it’s a compliment to compare Trump to him, the TRUE “Lion” of the Senate. Ann Coulter’s book on McCarthy is a MUST READ.

In fact, it was Rick Perry’s Joe McCarthy insult several months ago that made me completely give up on him. If you don’t know the TRUTH about McCarthy than you are simply an idiot.

Aslans Girl on January 5, 2016 at 5:43 PM

Trump dares to do what beloved Sen. Joe McCarthy did: Tell the truth about a terrible problem(s), despite the PC rules of the socialist-loving lamestream media.

Trump doesn’t give a crap what the lamestream says, about him or about anything, and neither does a very large sector of the American electorate. Trump has discovered this treasure trove of voters while all the other candidates are too cowed by the lamestream.

Trump is just saying what, probably, a majority of Americans already believe. The lamestream cannot ever get over it, and will keep on bleating and fainting whenever Trump opens his mouth.

I hope Ted Cruz is listening.

RedBaker on January 5, 2016 at 8:34 PM

McCarthy had the Communists pegged-he was right.

Unfortunately, he and other congress critters were never allowed to totally ferret them out.

Having Leftist sympathies is one thing, but being involved with a spy network run by a foreign, hostile power is quite another.

I will say that I think some of those people didn’t realize that their like-minded friends were in touch (directly or indirectly through other friends) with KGB agents.

But, there is a lot of weirdness in all that. We know since the release of the Venona Files that the FBI/Hoover knew all about these people and did nothing?

If memory serves me, Bobby Kennedy was an aide to Senator McCarthy and the senator and Joe McCarthy were tight. And on the House side, Nixon (even though a junior congressman) was selected to be on the HUAC. So, there’s a connection between anti-Communism in Congress and the Kennedys and in roundabout way the Emmanuel Goldstein of the Libs-Richard Nixon…but to hear all of the Liberalism come out of Ted Kennedy’s mouth ad nauseum for decades, you have to wonder…WTH?

The Federal apparatus hung Tailgunner Joe out to dry, but a little later on concocted the Baby of Pigs and then Vietnam…?

Dr. ZhivBlago on January 6, 2016 at 1:22 AM

“Baby of Pigs”…LOL…uh, should be “Bay of Pigs”

Dr. ZhivBlago on January 6, 2016 at 6:26 AM

McCarthy was right. The people in Hollywood who thought it was being overrun with leftists and outright Communists were right. I’d take the comparison from either as a compliment.

hawkdriver on January 6, 2016 at 9:23 AM

The difference between Trump and Joseph McCarthy: McCarthy was right and Trump actually supported Communists.

DannoJyd on January 6, 2016 at 2:47 PM

Actually, Trump and Andrew Jackson bear a closer resemblance. That’s Andrew Jackson of Trail of Tears fame; Battle of New Orleans fame; and invading a foreign country (Spanish Florida) fame.

Both guys are/were huge narcissists, both are/were populists, and both operate primarily on a personal level (revenge is a way of life).

The similarity is so striking that Newt Gingrich has mentioned it twice in comments on Fox News interviews. Newt classifies both men as being big, bigger than life in the eyes of the electorate. Remember Andrew Jackson not renewing the National Bank charter because he didn’t like the bank president? That little move resulted in a nationwide depression, and in some states printing their own currency. However, Jackson got back at the guy he didn’t like.

If this is the kind of guy Trump really is, we may be in for a wild ride.

koolbob on January 7, 2016 at 10:08 AM