Trump’s strongest Republican supporters: Registered Democrats?

posted at 1:01 pm on December 31, 2015 by Allahpundit

That’s odd. What could Democrats possibly see in a lifelong true conservative like Donald Trump?

nc

There’s something for everyone in Nate Cohn’s new post. If you’re a Trump fan, here’s the smoking gun that he really is a new Reagan, the guy who’s going to broaden the tent and sweep to victory in November by bringing centrist Democrats into the GOP. If you’re a Trump critic, here’s further proof that he’s the RINO of RINOs, a man who’s blended nationalism, center-left economics, and Jacksonian foreign policy into something that tastes better to members of the other party than it does to conservatives. That sounds a lot like Perotism, frankly — except, according to the (Democratic) pollster who provided Cohn with data, Trump’s geographic support is the opposite of Perot’s. Perot did best in the west and in New England. Trump cleans up in the south, up through Appalachia, and into the industrial northeastern states like New York. How do you explain that?

Cohn’s theory, comparing Trump’s map of support to a map of “racially charged Internet searches,” is that prejudice is driving some of his votes. There was nothing comparable in Perot’s campaign to Trump inveighing against rapists from Mexico and calling for a temporary ban on Muslims entering the United States. (There’s no disputing that Trump is the favored candidate of the white nationalists of the “alt-right.”) On the other hand, how many Trump voters in economically distressed industrial areas in the eastern U.S. like Trump’s immigration rhetoric because they “hate” Mexicans and how many simply want less competition from foreign labor in the name of bringing back jobs to America? According to Cohn, Trump’s best state is West Virginia; West Virginia also happens to be the only state in the U.S. where (as of March of this year) less than half of the adult civilian population is employed. Being a protectionist doesn’t make you a racist. Either way, though, this part is certainly true — and important to the future of the GOP:

In many of these areas, a large number of traditionally Democratic voters have long supported Republicans in presidential elections. Even now, Democrats have more registered voters than Republicans do in states like West Virginia and Kentucky, which have been easily carried by Republicans in every presidential contest of this century. As recently as a few years ago, Democrats still had a big advantage in partisan self-identification in the same states.

But during the Obama era, many of these voters have abandoned the Democrats. Many Democrats may now even identify as Republicans, or as independents who lean Republican, when asked by pollsters — a choice that means they’re included in a national Republican primary survey, whether they remain registered as Democrats or not.

Conn Carroll put it this way:

Right. The GOP is gradually becoming older and whiter due to white Democrats crossing the aisle for various reasons — contempt for some Democratic welfare programs, disagreement with progressives on cultural flashpoints like gay marriage, righteous disgust for the left’s insistence on open borders, racial anxiety, and so forth. On “values” issues, that influx of culturally conservative Dems will help entrench the GOP (for a while, at least) as a socially right-wing party despite more centrist tendencies among younger Republicans. Economically, though, it seems likely to do the opposite: Trump’s gone a long, long way this year preaching protectionism and zealous defense of entitlements, and as the Democratic constituency within the GOP grows, other Republican pols will feel pressure to follow suit. The Reagan revolution was about convincing centrist Dems to try smaller government and deregulation; the Trump revolution is about convincing them that big government will work for them with Donald Trump in charge. A populist would say that that’s really no different than what we have now, with GOP candidates preaching Reaganism to get elected and then practicing Trumpism once in office — except it’s Trumpism for the donor class, not for blue-collar voters. Reaganism remains the party’s ideological guiding star, though, at least for the moment. If Trump has a long run this year thanks to centrist Democrats coming out to vote for him in Republican primaries, does that change? How do you build a conservative party if a significant chunk of it is Democratic? Or do we no longer care about conservatism so long as we’ve got nationalism?

That’s the long-term problem. The short-term problem is one for Trump: How do you get these Democratic voters re-registered as Republicans and out to the polls in February? And if you’re Ted Cruz, how do you maintain your position as their second choice when you’re running as the staunchest conservative in the field? Maybe continuing to attack the “Washington cartel” without emphasizing too heavily how right-wing you are is enough. I’d be curious to see how Trump fans shake out, though, in a hypothetical match-up between Cruz and, say, Chris Christie after a month or two of Christie selling his own brand of alpha-male centrism on the trail beyond New Hampshire. If you want a guy who knows how to pander to Democratic voters and ostentatiously doesn’t care how boorish people find him, there’s an obvious choice. And it ain’t Ted Cruz.

Exit question: Is Trump’s Democratic support being oversold by Cohn? Look back at the numbers at the top. Even among registered Republicans, he’s just a hair shy of 30 percent support, enough to lead the field. Is that because a bunch of former Democrats have already re-registered as Republicans over the last 10 years and are responding to Trump? Or is Trump appealing in some ways even to longtime righties?

Comments

I see a lot of arguing between Trump and Cruz supporters. Who is tougher on illegals? Trump! no, it’s Cruz! etc.

Here’s my take.

We wouldn’t be talking about illegal aliens if it weren’t for Trump.

In every instance I can think of, Trump has been setting the tone and he has been moving Overtones Window to the right.

Some will argue Trump isn’t a conservative.
Some will argue Trump is a fake, a stealth Democrat.
Some will argue Trump isn’t serious.

But I’m going off what I see. And what I see is a man who is moving the entire country to the right, and he isn’t even in office yet. Whether it’s on politically correct speech, immigration, taxes, guns, doesn’t seem to matter the conservative issue, he moves the country to the right on that issue.

And he’s talking about the issues which I care about.

I hear he is pretty liberal and socialist on health care. Yet, when I hear Trump talking about health care, all I hear is he’s going to repeal Obamacare. This sends the left into a frenzy and Republicans (On the left and in the middle) laughing and saying, “He can’t do that!”

And that’s always what I hear Republicans saying. But I know that “I Can’t” never did nothing. And the Republicans have become the party of “We can’t!”

Trump turns the Republican party into the party of “Yes, we can.”

And as co-opted as that phrase is by the Obamabots, I’d love to have some politicians in office who, for once, can start the long hard slog of getting rid of something like that EPA (Something Trump promises to do), repealing Obamacare, and building a wall on our border.

And this is why I support Trump.

I like Cruz also and will support Cruz if Trump is being beaten. But, from my observation, Cruz doesn’t set the pace. No one is following Cruz. Cruz isn’t moving the window to the right.

Trump is the only candidate in the race doing that.

Baggi on January 2, 2016 at 1:01 AM

Bmore

Schadenfreude on January 2, 2016 at 1:22 AM

No one is following Cruz.Baggi on January 2, 2016 at 1:01 AM

That’s because Senator Ted Cruz is not a leader and Donald J. Trump is and that is the difference.

There is another difference that I see and that is Senator Ted Cruz wants to be President for all the wrong reasons and Donald J. Trump wants to be President for all of the right reasons.

Your comments are well stated and many believe those and more.

bluefox on January 2, 2016 at 1:59 AM

December 31st Ipsos/Reuters poll, Donald Trump is at 39%, Ted Cruz 14%, Ben Carson 12%, and Marco Rubio 12%.

Donald Trump also wins 24% of independents. Carson and Rubio win 11% and 8% respectively. What about Cruz you say? Well, he gets 3% of independents.

In fact, with independents, he is tied or behind every other candidate except for Santorum and Huckabee. He. is. unelectable. If there was ever a meaning for that term, this was it.

NWConservative on January 2, 2016 at 4:18 AM

CLUEBIRD: Trump is appealing to even longtime righties, conservatives like me.

mountainaires on January 2, 2016 at 6:40 AM

Progressives have purged the party of normal Democrats.

Nexialist on January 2, 2016 at 6:41 AM

Trump did not know what the nuclear triad was; and, couldn’t even fake an answer even though Hewitt defined it in the question. Anyone who buys that clown’s BS after that moment is willfully ignorant or just plain ignorant.

Lou Budvis on January 1, 2016 at 11:05 PM

Lou,
I understand your frustration here but I do not knock Trump, who is a civilian-businessman, for not knowing the triad. H*ll, there are likely many people on this site that did not know ALL the components to the triad…and WHY should they? To me as a veteran, there are aspects of my job of running sources that I understand, that even within the military, there are going to be people that do not understand what my job is in MY LANE nor do I understand their role as a nuclear sub guy.

Someone once told me that the “A-B” people in life will ALMOST always work for the “C” people in life. I have found that to be true in most cases. The reason is because the C people are the one’s with the vision, the dreamers, the idea people, and they go out and find the one’s with the technical abilities, or what ever skills they need to get their dreams accomplished.

Trump, though he is a very smart individual, is a big visionary guy. He is the guy that looks at the piece of real estate, deals, agreements, etc, and can envision the size and scope of the building and revenue that site will bring in to his company’s bottom line. People like Rubio, Christie, Cruz, Santorum, etc are the guys he would hire to implement HIS VISION. The “A” students working for the “C” student.

So when Trump says he will Make America Great Again…all the elitist’s from the IVY League schools and Beltway boys, these are all the “A” students, laugh at him and say what an idiot, trump is the one with the vision and KNOWS exactly what he wants and needs to do to Make America Great Again.

You’ll also recall they laughed at Reagan and thought he was a dreamer as well…

g2825m on January 2, 2016 at 7:51 AM

I think it was bluefox that posted this link earlier but I highly recommend everyone watch it. It is very prescient for today and how ALL of our candidates should be running.

Note: the video is from 2012 and the headline is misleading in the sense that the video doesn’t even mention Trump. However, listen to what Bill Whittle says at the end.

g2825m on January 2, 2016 at 8:26 AM

Baggi on January 2, 2016 at 1:01 AM

You make some persuasive points. I got to say that I’m voting for Cruz, not because I hate Trump or anything but because I feel more sure of his conservative credentials than I do about Trump. You are right, Trump is moving the country right, ummmm, right now anyway, but once he is in office and has won the republican primary, will he still be moving right? Cruz was filibustering the gang of 8 amnesty bill years ago while Trump was hanging out with Hillary. I like Trump’s self funding independence and, hey, I’m voting for Trump if he takes the nomination, no doubt about it, but this is the primary and I have to vote for someone who I am more sure has conservative politics. Ted Cruz is someone with a record of conservatism, who has stood up to the RINOs in his party for conservative principles. He has worked in congress and knows how it works and I have some respect for the man. Cruz gets my vote.

Dollayo on January 2, 2016 at 8:53 AM

Baggi on January 2, 2016 at 1:01 AM

Dollayo on January 2, 2016 at 8:53 AM

Dollayo,
Totally get it and Cruz is right in my wheelhouse as far as where I am as a conservative, HOWEVER, after thinking about his possibilities in the General Election I really do not think he has a chance because he has had his “brand” tarnished so much both by MSM and many within the Republican Party. Just as many people (4M) stayed home in 2012, I honestly could see many (who knows the figure?) RINO’s send their protest vote against Cruz by staying home or voting Hillary. Will this happen to Trump by the RINO’s? Absolutely.

Where Trump and Cruz differ though and (one of many reasons) why I am voting for Trump over Cruz is because Trump has 99% name recognition with the general pop. Cruz name recognition is likely below 40 percent to the general populace. Trump also will bring in people from ALL races and genders. Cruz MAY be hurt in this area in the general election due to negative press and Trump will carry more people in this area (minorities, Dems, blue collar, etc) than RINO’s actually staying home in protest.

Hence: My vote for Trump. Those are my thoughts. Plus I just like his NON PC speak! I am so sick of PC crap for the last decade or more.

g2825m on January 2, 2016 at 9:45 AM

An immigrant group based in Bern has called for the emblematic white cross to be removed from the Swiss national flag because as a Christian symbol it “no longer corresponds to today’s multicultural Switzerland.”

Muslims in Switzerland now comprise 5% of the population. That is a key level which coincides with muslim aggression in demanding accommodation for their customs and sharia law.

Trump is the only candidate addressing the levels of muslim immigration. Cruz does not support the initiatives that Trump has proposed to counter high levels of muslim immigration. If those high levels continue, their will inevitably be social unrest and conflict as the muslim population increases.
All immigration of individuals from cultures which resist assimilation should be completely halted.

Trump has taken a position on immigration which Americans of all parties are attracted to. Independents and moderate Dems observe what is happening with immigration, and they want the issue solved, not by conceding benefits and legality to illegals and hostile immigrants, but by removing them or halting their admission.

bobthm3 on January 2, 2016 at 10:08 AM

We wouldn’t be talking about illegal aliens if it weren’t for Trump.

Baggi on January 2, 2016 at 1:01 AM

Yes, Trump moved the overton window way right on illegal immigration. And Cruz: Ted Cruz – “Legal Status for 11+ Million Illegals, Double Legal Immigration, Raise H1B visas by 500%”

Ted asserts he’s gone right on immigration, but just a month ago: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2015/11/cruz_flipflops_on_legal_immigration_implies_most_illegals_can_stay.html

Trump also moved the overton on Muslim immigration. Dramatically. But the globalist immigration promoting Cruz rejected Trump’s proposed ban without hesitation:

Cruz on Trump’s proposed Muslim ban: ‘No, that’s not my policy’

anotherJoe on January 2, 2016 at 11:01 AM

Cruz on Trump’s proposed Muslim ban: ‘No, that’s not my policy’

anotherJoe on January 2, 2016 at 11:01 AM

Trump’s muslim immigration plan. Stop muslim immigration for a short time for a theatrical look at the process to deem it safe. Then muslim immigration returns as it was before. How to tell if they are muslims? A simple voluntary question, “are you a follower of Islam?”. If the answer is no, then they get in anyways.

Cruz’s muslim immigration plan. Stop all immigration from current muslim terrorist active nations, and those restrictions remain in effect so long as the threat of terrorists coming from those nations persist. No stupid voluntary questions.

So, short term kabuki theater security or long term actual security.

Here Cruz is superior to Trump’s position.

Constitutionalist on January 2, 2016 at 11:27 AM

Constitutionalist on January 2, 2016 at 11:27 AM

I don’t think so.

Trump says to ban them “until we figure out what the h— is going on.” There’s two possibilities: 1) we never figure that out so the ban continues long-term, or 2) if we do actually “figure it out” we will figure out what common sense already tells us: the Muslims are deadset on infilitrating the west and taking us over from the inside out (just read the Koran), so the ban continues.

The biggest deal would be implementing even a temporary ban and seeing the aneurysms of the seers of political correctness. The pc forces will be kowed, and a permanent ban would be a two foot put after that.

So the answer on Muslim immigration is Trump, NOT Cruz:

Don’t let Muslim immigration turn us into the UK or France!

anotherJoe on January 2, 2016 at 11:48 AM

anotherJoe on January 2, 2016 at 11:48 AM

Like all of the high priests of the infallible omnipotent all powerful Trump, you take his very first strong stance and retain that as if it is his actual stance. It never fails. You guys never hold Trump accountable for his failings.

After making that statement and asked about it, he started walking it back until eventually it was a short term, couple months most likely thing that would be based upon the HONOR of the muslims to self identify.
How long will the ban remain in effect? “He said the ban could be lifted ‘very quickly if our country could get its act together.'”

How to enforce it? When pressed, Trump said one option would be the honor system, telling MSNBC’s Willie Geist, that “a customs agent would ask ‘Are you Muslim?’”

Cruz’s Muslim immigration plan is far better thought out and is far superior than Trump’s.

Constitutionalist on January 2, 2016 at 12:02 PM

Constitutionalist on January 2, 2016 at 12:02 PM

On the contrary, Trump said the determination of whether they’re Muslim would be based on a combination of questions and a background check. Trump’s not stupid, so this an easy thing for him to get right in comparison to harder things like his huge wall.

Two months my rear. It’s until “we figure out what the H is going on.” And if we figure that out then we won’t them in here … ever: Trump doubles down on vow to bar Muslims.

And Trump’s no fairweather friend of the anti-Muslims, from 2011 Donald Trump warns of the Muslim Problem.

And from 2010:
Donald Trump wants the illegals sent back NO AMNESTY!!!

Don’t be like right2bright now, Constitutionalist.

anotherJoe on January 2, 2016 at 12:23 PM

Rubio supporter responsible for anti Trump skywriting stunt. It figures

rik on January 2, 2016 at 12:29 PM

anotherJoe on January 2, 2016 at 12:23 PM

Funny, it is his own words. He does not seem to have what I would call good instinct on things.

Constitutionalist on January 2, 2016 at 12:30 PM

Trump wants Amnesty. That is why his amnesty plan did not state that he would deport all illegal aliens. It was the start of his walk back.
I went through his entire twitter account, and unsurprisingly, the statement of deport all is no longer part of the stated plan.
He does not think companies can live without the illegal aliens, and thus they will have to quickly be put back into place. He does not think it is humane to send children back. He thinks people who have been here illegally for a long time have strong enough connections to their communities that they should be put back in their communities.

But maybe he will come back and make statements that declare that he still plans to deport all illegal aliens. But since he is no longer talking about it, I tend to think that all his walkbacks are what they are, walkbacks.

Constitutionalist on January 2, 2016 at 12:35 PM

Trump wants Amnestyimmigration. That is why his amnesty plan did not state that he would deport all illegal aliens. It was the start of his walk back.

fixed

Constitutionalist on January 2, 2016 at 12:47 PM

Trump wants Amnesty…

Constitutionalist on January 2, 2016 at 12:35 PM

If Trump just wanted amnesty why would the liberals be so outrageously outraged? Why would Kasich make his grandstanding statement on national tv saying “you can’t just deport 11 million folks!”

Ann Coulter explains Trump & immigration well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKcP3_yTPAQ

Trump’s long history of being AGAINST amnesty:

2013:
Citizenship for illegal immigrants is a GOP suicide mission
Donald Trump said “The fact is those 11 million [plus] people will be voting Democratic. You can be out front. You can be the spearhead. You can do whatever you want to do, but every one of those 11 million people will be voting Democratic. It is just the way it works.” Source: 2013 CPAC in Wash Times, Mar 15, 2013

2011:
Anchor babies were NEVER the intent of the 14th Amendment
The root cause of all the welfare payments to illegal aliens is the so-called “anchor baby” phenomenon, which is when illegal immigrant mothers have a baby on American soil. The Fourteenth Amendment… was not intended to guarantee untrammeled immigration to the United States. Source: Time to Get Tough, by Donald Trump, p.140-141 , Dec 5, 2011

Triple-layered fence & Predator drones on Mexican border (2011)
Control borders; even legal immigration should be difficult (2000)
“Enter by the law, or leave.” (2000)

1999:
Limit new immigration; focus on people already here
Trump was firm concerning restrictions in immigration. “I’m opposed to new people coming in,” Trump said. “We have to take care of the people who are here.” Source: nytimes.com/library/politics, Dec 10, 1999

anotherJoe on January 2, 2016 at 12:53 PM

Trump wants Amnesty.

Constitutionalist on January 2, 2016 at 12:35 PM

As opposed to your hero Elmer Gantry Ted Cruz who has spoken out in favor of: 1) doubling legal immigration with huge increases for Mexico, India and China, all of whose immigrants vote overwhelmingly Democratic; a 500% increase in H-1Bs and 3) legalization of illegal aliens and NEVER used the “D” deport word?

What’s the point of electing a man who claims to be a “constitutional conservative” if he wants to flood the country with foreigners who oppose the Constitution?

bw222 on January 2, 2016 at 1:08 PM

anotherJoe on January 2, 2016 at 12:53 PM

Why would he say that he wants to bring the good ones back quickly?
That is amnesty.
Why would he say there are jobs Americans will not do? That indicates a need for non american workers.
Why would he argue that an illegal alien’s connection to the community has value worthy of having them brought back quickly and returned to their communities?

These are his most recent statements, ones that came out after his immigration paper was put forward.

Look, I get it. You are only capable of seeing trump as infallible and perfect. Plenty of people have your condition in the world. Trump is fallible. he is a salesman. He knew what you wanted more than anything else in the world, and he needs votes to get what he wants. So he told you what you want to hear. “Deport All Illegal Aliens.” And like he expected, you jumped right in and became a follower of his. A funny and twisted thing happened after that. He began to walk back that statement. A day later he began talking about some of the good illegal aliens, and that we need them here. But you did not care, he already bought you off with words.
Workers filling jobs American’s will not do. Something you would excoriate anyone else for, you cheer Trump on about. YEAH!
Long term illegal aliens are a strong part of their communities and we need them here. Something you would excoriate anyone else for, you cheer Trump on about. YEAH!
Going to bring them back quickly with a legal statues. Something you would excoriate anyone else for, you cheer Trump on about. YEAH!

These are the code words that every anti-illegal immigration person has RIGHTLY decried as the words of an amnesty shill. But Trump supporters, nope, you all think these are now not only just reasonable but the perfect!
Trump wants the illegal aliens in the nation. He has said so. The only difference is that he stroked your little microscopic ego by saying he would deport them all. Since he stroked that ego, your rationality has gone out the window. Like a little awkward boy who got a kiss from a cute girl.

Constitutionalist on January 2, 2016 at 1:20 PM

What does this do to Hillary?????????????
We keep hearing that the GOP is in big trouble because we don’t have support from minorities…..so what is the inverse for the DEMs? Can they win only on minorities and elites????

cab8505 on January 2, 2016 at 1:21 PM

“What could Democrats possibly see in a lifelong true conservative like Donald Trump?”

LMAO!!!

Could this be the reason that polls show Trump losing to Hillary even though he supposedly has a lot of support? Could be! /smug

Let the Trump apologists spin these facts. It’s not as if they have ever been relevant.

DannoJyd on January 2, 2016 at 1:58 PM

Why would he say that he wants to bring the good ones back?

Constitutionalist on January 2, 2016 at 1:20 PM

In response, a comment from The RightMan:

Trump is not the typical politician but there are still some aspects of Politics 101 that any of his advisers will ensure he adheres to.

One is “Never give your opponent the bullets to shoot you with” (in my own words perhaps :))

Only a political novice will give too much detail. It allows your opponents to twist and make ads out of them while they give you nothing.

Notice the GOPe candidates have practically NOTHING on their websites about amnesty? But if they win, expect them to turn it into “Americans rejected the hateful immigration speech of Trump therefore they want us to pass amnesty”. Even though they said nothing about it.

Trump’s line about letting the “good ones” back in is to deflect the attacks and fear mongering that he will be some monster that will send ALL Hispanics home, even those legally here or some such nonsense.

The key is Trump will build the wall (a totally doable thing) and enforce our immigration laws. That by itself will revitalize this country and kill off the illegal pandering that is now so common with our politicians.

If illegals are deported, coming back in means they will be subject to the existing process for legal immigrants. If that process is reviewed and updated, we will all benefit. He recently made a statement that he favors a merit-based approach. That is also a good thing.

So he is listening and taking advice from the right people and that is good. :)

TheRightMan on October 18, 2015 at 1:07 AM

anotherJoe on January 2, 2016 at 2:01 PM

“In the Senate, McConnell’s primary focus is protecting the handful of vulnerable Republican senators whose seats are at risk as Democrats fight to regain the Senate majority they lost a year ago. That means weighing the political risks and benefits of every potential vote to endangered incumbents in Ohio, Illinois, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and New Hampshire.”

New Years resolution: remove the BIGGEST roadblock to getting anything done in the Senate. How McConnell has lasted this long is beyond me??!! Come on Kentucky!! You guys are killing us with him.

McConnell is more worried about getting along with Obama and the MSM than being a MAJORITY leader for WE THE PEOPLE.

g2825m on January 2, 2016 at 2:21 PM

anotherJoe on January 2, 2016 at 2:01 PM

So, what makes Trump different is that Trump is a lying liar who lies for votes.
What makes Trump supporters different is that they love the lies because it allows them to be bamboozled into believing that Trump really means what they personally want to believe Trump will do.
In other words, Trump is this year’s Blank Canvas for people to paint their hopes and dreams upon.

Constitutionalist on January 2, 2016 at 2:35 PM

Constitutionalist on January 2, 2016 at 2:35 PM

Constitutionalist,
I am assuming by your name that you believe in the Const.? I am as conservative as the next Joe maybe more so…I do not believe for a second that Trump is in my same lane, however, he is on the same road going in the same direction I am which is restoring America back to its greatness.

Trump supports the military and wants to overhaul the VA
Trump wants lower taxes and bring back money from overseas because of ridiculous policies
Trump supports the 2A
Trump wants a wall on the border (with a big, beautiful door)
Trump wants to halt legal immigration initially until we figure it out
Trump wants illegals out – what does illegal mean?
Trump wants Americans to be Americans and not hyphenated people
Trump wants to only get involved in wars when necessary to protect homeland – as a seven year Iraq and two yr AFG Vet I support that
Trump wants us to “win” in trade deals, finances, and treaties.
Trump is a MAN and not wussy like so many politicians today
Trump is NOT PC

All of these I support as a strong conservative. I do not see where he is “lying” to me. I have my eyes wide open as many millions of others who will be voting for him.

g2825m on January 2, 2016 at 2:47 PM

g2825m on January 2, 2016 at 2:47 PM

If Trump’s supporters want to keep attacking my preferred candidate, I will continue to bring forward the flaws of him and them.
Nothing requires them to keep attacking Cruz when even their candidate does not.
I would rather talk Trump up. But when push comes to shove, he is not my preferred choice and is a very distant second place.
By all means, talk up your Trump and enjoy the fact that he is leading in the polls. But if you are going to accuse Cruz of evil things, instead of writing about the good things about Trump, I will simply remind you and everyone else about the flaws about Trump. And there are legion of those flaws with Trump.
Would I vote for Trump? Not in the Primary. In the General I will if he sweetens the pot with a rock solid conservative running mate. Cruz would be a top pick, but I am sure there are plenty of others around the nation that can be raised up into prominence by being the VP of the United States of America.

Trump supports the military and wants to overhaul the VA

Good.

Removing millions of people from the tax rolls who get the power of the vote is not a good thing. By the way, everyone that has scored his proposals all say there is no way he can fund the government with his tax plan.

Trump supports the 2A

Well, he does except when he did not. He was all for the assault weapons ban if I am not mistaken. He is also for additional stringency on background checks.

Trump wants a wall on the border (with a big, beautiful door)

So does Cruz.

Trump wants to halt legal immigration initially until we figure it out

No he does not. It was no where in his policy paper. I thought your eyes were open.

Trump wants illegals out – what does illegal mean?

He stopped saying ALL illegals will be deported. Do you think he will have every last illegal alien out of the nation by his original January 2019 date? What does that mean if he does not?

Trump wants Americans to be Americans and not hyphenated people

Funny because every time he talks I hear him talk about how he has Muslim-American friends and he loves them. And so forth with every hyphenated group.

Great.

Trump wants us to “win” in trade deals, finances, and treaties.

Who does not?

Trump is a MAN and not wussy like so many politicians today

Funny, I see him back tracking on his statements all the time and when he faces push back I hear him talking about how great such and such a group he insulted is, kissing their asses with the best of them.

Trump is NOT PC

Actually, Trump is very PC. He just uses it differently than most people. Like I said, he might not have a problem insulting people, but right after he does so, he starts wrapping himself up in PC bullshit like talking about his black friends, and muslim-american friends, that these are great people, hard workers, honest blah blah blah blah. His division politics like, I am going to get 100 black pastors to endorse me. (he did not) He suckers idiots into seeing himself as not PC and then turns around the next day and gets on his knees to make nice nice with the offended party.

Look, he is good enough in changing the Overton Window to the right side of the debate, for that alone he gets about to 40% of the needed good will from me to vote for him. Maybe in the white house he will continue to remain true on some of these things. That is almost enough to earn my vote. I already explained above what he needs to do to move to actually voting for him.

Constitutionalist on January 2, 2016 at 3:29 PM

g2825m on January 2, 2016 at 2:47 PM

Constitutionalist on January 2, 2016 at 3:29 PM

Constitutionalist,
Go back and read ANY of MY posts. I do not attack Cruz. I love Cruz but feel in the general he may not be electable…I wish he was.

I am not sure of your age but anyone over 50 as I am have always referred to people of varying races as black, muslim, mexican, japanese, etc…Trump uses this language and all the talking heads on TV and bloggers who have implemented this PC crap freak out and say Ohhhhh….he used offensive language. Sorry, we don’t use the PC monikers that the “safe space” generation likes to use in labeling people. We call it as we see it. So actually Trump doesn’t wrap himself in PC as you say.

Trump also is a great salesman and so when he undercuts someone he also realizes that he still needs that person on his side down the road and so after the intended “body blow” he’ll go in and make nice.

Thanks for reading the post!

g2825m on January 2, 2016 at 3:49 PM

g2825m on January 2, 2016 at 3:49 PM

I did not mean to say you have attacked Cruz.

Constitutionalist on January 2, 2016 at 4:05 PM

Trump wants a wall on the border (with a big, beautiful door)

So does Cruz.

Constitutionalist on January 2, 2016 at 3:29 PM
A great summary of the difference between the two is from earlier in this very thread:

Ted Cruz: once we secure the border, we can discuss amnesty.

Trump: once we deport them all we can discuss amnesty.

Joseph K on December 31, 2015 at 7:28 PM

“I like Ted Cruz, but, yes, he’s a disaster on immigration.” -Ann Coulter

anotherJoe on January 2, 2016 at 4:20 PM

Ted Cruz: once we secure the border, we can discuss amnesty.

Trump: once we deport them all we can discuss amnesty.

Joseph K on December 31, 2015 at 7:28 PM

“I like Ted Cruz, but, yes, he’s a disaster on immigration.” -Ann Coulter

anotherJoe on January 2, 2016 at 4:20 PM

Yes, Ann Coulter is the epitome of people I trust on things. She was a big Romney fanatic if I recall.

Cruz has the same deportation plan Trump has. His position on amnesty or legalization and allowing them to stay is not today, tomorrow, ever. Stronger than Trump’s message.

Trump wants to have them back and working in the jobs they are taking from Americans and back to being upstanding long time community members quickly and is willing to create a taskforce to expedite the process and is willing to effectively remove (amnesty) the 5, 10, and 20 year bans on re-entry for those illegal aliens to make them legal residents (amnesty). That is if he really even deports them. My guess is that he stopped saying he will deport all illegal aliens because he will no longer, you guessed it, deport all illegal aliens. That is usually why you stop saying things.
Trump started spot on. Deport them all. Too bad that he no longer seems to support that position. I have done my due diligence, his twitter account going back as far as it shows has no more calls for it. Google no longer shows him saying it any more. It pretty much ended with his immigration paper release which does not discuss deporting all illegal aliens.

Constitutionalist on January 2, 2016 at 4:37 PM

Constitutionalist on January 2, 2016 at 4:37 PM

Oh will you just shut the hell up! You’re worse than my ex-wife! You aren’t going to change anyone’s mind! Go back to Mother Jones or Daily Kos or Redstate and pester them for a while! Getting sick of looking at you! Yak! Yak! Yak! Same nonsense, SAME day!

Judge_Dredd on January 2, 2016 at 4:56 PM

Judge_Dredd on January 2, 2016 at 4:56 PM

I take it that you have said the same thing to Trump supporters, right?
If not, pound sand.

Constitutionalist on January 2, 2016 at 5:25 PM

Constitutionalist on January 2, 2016 at 5:25 PM

Look, lady, just quit the yapping. I’m getting a headache.

Judge_Dredd on January 2, 2016 at 5:29 PM

Constitutionalist on January 2, 2016 at 5:25 PM

Look, lady, just quit the yapping. I’m getting a headache.

Judge_Dredd on January 2, 2016 at 5:29 PM

Look basement dwelling dweeb who is still suckling on his mommies boobs for comfort, this is not a safe zone and if you do not like the conversations feel free to skip them. Every one of my posts comes with the following information to help you avoid them.
Constitutionalist on Date at Time
Grow up, get a job, get off your moms boobs and move out would ya?

Constitutionalist on January 2, 2016 at 5:36 PM

Constitutionalist on January 2, 2016 at 5:36 PM

Here’s the thing, dink. You’re tedious and long-winded. Like Tlaloc. You come close to making threads unreadable. Why can’t you be more like Mr. Potatoehead or fight like a skirt? Or better yet, Meredick – drop one mouth-bomb and split.

Judge_Dredd on January 2, 2016 at 5:38 PM

Judge_Dredd on January 2, 2016 at 5:38 PM

This is not a safe place for people incapable of living on the outside world. Nothing makes you read any of it.
I step in to defend my preferred candidate. I will continue to do so, regardless of a mommies boy of indeterminate age but certain lack of maturity saying otherwise.

Constitutionalist on January 2, 2016 at 5:50 PM

Constitutionalist on January 2, 2016 at 5:50 PM

Whatever you say, dingus. I just wish you’d say it a little less. Your keyboard runneth over.

Judge_Dredd on January 2, 2016 at 5:52 PM

Judge_Dredd on January 2, 2016 at 5:52 PM

You could have saved 4 whole posts to read by just keeping your immature mouth shut. So, I tend to think that you actually like reading my posts. I like to make them into whole stories. That is probably what hooks you into them. You are welcome.

Constitutionalist on January 2, 2016 at 6:08 PM

I like to make them into whole life stories.

Constitutionalist on January 2, 2016 at 6:08 PM

You ain’t lyin’ abt that.

Judge_Dredd on January 2, 2016 at 6:16 PM

You ain’t lyin’ abt that.

Judge_Dredd on January 2, 2016 at 6:16 PM

I am positive that what I write have no lies in them. I have been corrected for things I was mistaken about, but I do not lie like some here. No need to.

Constitutionalist on January 2, 2016 at 6:19 PM

Judge_Dredd on January 2, 2016 at 5:38 PM

Whereas the ignorant, moronic, nonsensical blather that comes out of your mouth can make a thread unreadable in just a few short lines.

alchemist19 on January 2, 2016 at 8:00 PM

buttchemist19 on January 2, 2016 at 8:00 PM

It sure can, buttchemist19, it sure can. But insults from a douchebag are just that – insults from a douchebag.

Judge_Dredd on January 2, 2016 at 8:11 PM

Oh look right2bright as “Constitutionalist” is back!

Droning on and on with her “facts,” using 6 month old information, denying any clarification of said positions by Trump, and twisting what was presented into insane conclusions that she claims are Trump’s current positions.

And through all that, making wild absolutist declarations about Ted Cruz being a “pure conservative” and giving Cruz a pass for *ACTUAL* unconstitutional acts he has done as a Senator that you intimate Trump *MIGHT* do as a President.

NWConservative on January 2, 2016 at 9:25 PM

alchemist19 on January 2, 2016 at 8:00 PM

Judge_Dredd on January 2, 2016 at 8:11 PM

No one posts in the thread for hours, I toss out one pithy little line and you just so happen to show up and respond 11 minutes later. On the one hand it’s funny that it’s so easy for me to make the monkey dance but on the other it’s kinda sad that you dedicate that much time to monitoring threads just in case so you can swoop in to answer any challenge. If I had your level of insecurity, well, I don’t know what I would do because I can’t relate to being even half as insecure as you seem to be.

Now the question is: How long can you hold off responding? I know it’s eating you and you want to fart at us all again, but at the same time I’ve mocked your lack of a life so that might make you hold off for two or three minutes just to show me.

Now dance, monkey. Dance and amuse us so we can toss you more peanuts.

alchemist19 on January 2, 2016 at 9:33 PM

g2825m on January 2, 2016 at 8:26 AM

Thanks for listening to that. Whittle is something else. I’ve only listened/watched very few of his videos, but may watch more:-)

bluefox on January 2, 2016 at 10:00 PM

buttchemist19 on January 2, 2016 at 9:33 PM

Quite simple, and I’ll explain so your pea brain can comprehend. This is my HA computer. I have multiple computers connected via KVM. I don’t need to close one single tab. But that was too difficult for you to consider, eh, boy?

Judge_Dredd on January 2, 2016 at 10:02 PM

Never forget, the exact words used now to attack the candidacy of Donald J Trump are the identical words the power-elite used in the 1980 republican primary to attack candidate Ronald Reagan:

At the following website, page down to ” […] Reagan is a serious challenge to the old discredited order. Those who underestimate him, do so at great risk……

************************************************************************

Just a friendly word of advice about that website. They don’t suffer trolls…..

bluefox on January 2, 2016 at 10:06 PM

Judge_Dredd on January 2, 2016 at 10:02 PM

So nice when you prove yourself to be who we think you are all on your own volition.

Constitutionalist on January 2, 2016 at 10:15 PM

buttchemist19 on January 2, 2016 at 9:33 PM

Judge_Dredd on January 2, 2016 at 10:02 PM

Or you could have just gone to the front page and noticed a new comment. Its really not that hard to check without hitting refresh every ten seconds. I never understand people who make a big deal about responses being fast. It’s stupid.

NWConservative on January 2, 2016 at 10:15 PM

NWConservative on January 2, 2016 at 9:25 PM

Hotair has had problems with trolls as long as I’ve been registered. However, they can be reported to Ed or AP and they have and do ban them depending on their comments.

They come out of the woodwork with their lies every time there is a major election as I’m sure you know if you’ve been posting here.

bluefox on January 2, 2016 at 10:20 PM

bluefox on January 2, 2016 at 10:20 PM

Constitutionalist, like right2bright, nags people to death and forms completely insane conclusions based on deliberately cherry picked facts.

I became convinced that she was a troll during one debate when she started attacking me because I defended Trump after one of her insane rantings, saying something to the effect of “I will attack Trump if you attack Cruz.” Except I never referenced Cruz at all and when I pointed it out, she had the gall to say I am responsible for other posters comments here on HotAir who were attacking Cruz. And she now shows up all the time, coincidentally I’m sure, right after Cruz was declared ahead in some polls from the rest of the pack.

And around that time, the Cruz kids took their masks off and started calling Trump supporters homeless, puke eating, retarded trash heaps, stealth Rubio hacks for Hillary, braindead liberals, howler monkeys, etc. for DARING to use Cruz’s own words in their arguments or for even DARING to make a single argument against him.

NWConservative on January 2, 2016 at 10:47 PM

NWConservative on January 2, 2016 at 10:47 PM

Well, then they need to be reminded of the Terms of Use again and reported. That kind of language should not be tolerated and when it happens, reported to Ed or AP. I’ve been registered for almost 8 years, but have not been too active lately. Had/have other interests, due to being burnt out being an activist. I hadn’t even heard of the one lying troll on here until this thread. All trolls are alike as their purpose is to take over a thread and make it all about them, & that’s why I don’t respond once I see one. If no one responds, they leave. I know it’s hard not to respond, but it’s necessary. Just respond to other posters and ignore them.

I think there is enough of Senator Ted Cruz modifying his policy positions and backtracking etc plus his current “preaching” that we don’t need to search for more changes on him. There is enough out there.

You and anotherjoe and others on other sites have a lot of info & his voting record, can’t be changed.

bluefox on January 2, 2016 at 11:05 PM

Constitutionalist on January 2, 2016 at 10:15 PM

Who’s this “we”, dingdong? You got a mouse in your pocket? I’ve been here 8 years. I don’t know where YOU suddenly came from. Only that you’re annoying as a mother fletcher.

It’s stupid.

NWConservative on January 2, 2016 at 10:15 PM

If you’re referring to buttchemist19, you are correct. Pretends to be a conservative. But all the classical libertarian (democrat) views. Unlimited buttsex, legal drugs, etc. I forget if it’s him or coronalahole79 that pretends to be a lawyer.

Judge_Dredd on January 3, 2016 at 9:22 AM

Here’s the problem, no candidate, not even R Paul is promising smaller government conservatism. Since they’re all lying, the only one telling the ‘truth’ at this stage is Trump (and maybe Huckabee). That’s the problem. The math says you can’t have smaller government when money supply is growing at 6% per year. Money supply grows ONLY through the generation of TREASURY BILLS (ie. a wider deficit), get it, bigger government. Until the conservatives settle on the math, WE ARE BIG GOVERNMENT. Let me know if you know of any EXCEPTIONS to this RULE.

oarmas on January 3, 2016 at 11:38 AM

bluefox on January 2, 2016 at 11:05 PM

You almost sound rational with your argument about not feeding the trolls.
Almost.

That would be because you are a hypocrite on who you see as trolls. The pro trump crew goes into every single thread and distorts Cruz’s positions and attacks Cruz regardless of the topic. That is the first trolling activity. Gratuitous attacks. You refuse to see that as trolling, because Trump is your guy, and you are biased.
Correcting their distortions and returning their attacks is not trolling. But you see it as trolling, because you are pro-trump and your bias blinds you.
Like you said, if you do not respond back, I am perfectly happy to leave it at, your attack and my riposte and move on. But the true trolls are not happy with that, or the even better solution, stop distorting and stop attacking in general.
They cannot stop themselves. Attacking Cruz is an automatic reflex with them that is uncontrollable. Just like your automatic blind defense of Trump Supporters and disdain for Cruz supporters.
Find a thread where I have spoke about Trump on the other hand before they arrive to spew their Cruz hatred and you will find that in most cases I defend Trump or admire him in the thread. Honestly, Trump is not the worst person running, not by a long shot. I see him as the alternative to Cruz.

Constitutionalist on January 3, 2016 at 11:46 AM

Constitutionalist on January 3, 2016 at 11:46 AM

I thought I ran your hind end off once already?

Judge_Dredd on January 3, 2016 at 1:07 PM

Judge_Dredd on January 3, 2016 at 9:22 AM

V7_Sport does it to. The whole “YOU DONT HAVE A LIFE IF YOU RESPOND TO ME IN A TIMELY MANNER!!1!!1”

NWConservative on January 3, 2016 at 1:23 PM

Constitutionalist on January 3, 2016 at 11:46 AM

So much projection.

NWConservative on January 3, 2016 at 1:25 PM

NWConservative on January 3, 2016 at 1:23 PM

I actually like V7_Shoe. Besides, he predates me. This bloviating, Tlalockian ‘Constitutionalist’ dink seems to have shown up in the last month or so. I don’t mind the nutty skirt being here, it’s just that she takes over the comment count on a level I’ve not seen since AnninCA.

Judge_Dredd on January 3, 2016 at 2:04 PM

NWConservative on January 3, 2016 at 1:23 PM

There’s “timely” and there’s “I sit on my computer(s) checking Hot Gas constantly, either reloading tabs or memorizing comment numbers so I can swoop into action in seconds to answer any challenge.” There’s nothing wrong with rapid fire responses when you’re participating in an active discussion, but it’s when there really is no active discussion but you’re so fixated that you still keep looking just in case, well, that’s when people start to unintentionally reveal some thing about themselves. The emotional insecurity and negative self-image problems our young Mr. Dredd puts on display actually are starting to make me think I should back off and leave him alone before I compound those issues. When I basically say “You’re an idiot if you respond to this,” knowing that he will it is good for a cheap chuckle, but he’s a real person with some real issues I don’t need to exacerbate. So, Mr. Dredd, I apologize for what I’ve done to you and making everyone laugh at you. I was wrong to do that and I’m very sorry. I hope one day you can find some peace and live a happier life.

alchemist19 on January 3, 2016 at 2:55 PM

I apologize for what I’ve done to you and making everyone laugh at you.

buttchemist19 on January 3, 2016 at 2:55 PM

OK, my buttchemistian friend, now you owe me a new keyboard!

And this tab shall remain open on the left until this thing finally peters out.

Judge_Dredd on January 3, 2016 at 4:20 PM

NWConservative on January 3, 2016 at 1:23 PM

alchemist19 on January 3, 2016 at 2:55 PM

That’s some top shelf comedy right there!

Joseph K on January 3, 2016 at 4:31 PM

Judge_Dredd on January 3, 2016 at 2:04 PM

Oh, you mean Petunia?

You do go back a ways, don’t you Judge_Dredd?

Burke on January 3, 2016 at 6:48 PM

alchemist19 on January 3, 2016 at 2:55 PM

I check the front page of HotAir several times a day, and usually check in threads I’ve commented in. Leaving a tab open in your browser will also let you know if there are new comments as the pages auto-refresh to. It doesn’t require much more than clicking a tab once.

NWConservative on January 3, 2016 at 6:48 PM

Oh, you mean Petunia?

No I mean AnninCA. Petrollia is still around and doesn’t hijack threads.

You do go back a ways, don’t you Judge_Dredd?

Burke on January 3, 2016 at 6:48 PM

In one form or another…

Judge_Dredd on January 3, 2016 at 7:16 PM

Breaking! Great news for the Trump supporters!

Before, they only had Trump 1.0 (D) and Trump 2.0 (R) as choices, but soon they will get Trump 3.0 [tyrant?]

Never before has any Liar of the Year offered so much! /sarc

DannoJyd on January 4, 2016 at 1:18 AM

Ahw man, I just cannot wait to vote for The Donald who ran for president back in 2000 and failed. Of course that was not in the GOP, because that party was “too conservative” for him, and therefore chose the Reform Party to ram an assault rifle ban, single payer, higher taxes, and abortion down our throats. Having failed miserably then registered as a Democrat. Those political views in mind, him having shown his true colors when he called Romney’s self-deportation comments mean-spirited, and him relying heavily on support from Dems and Indies to win the general election; there is just no possible way Trump will sell out conservatives, no way I tell you. Cruz on the other hand, relying not on independents but putting all his hopes solely on turning out the conservative base to win the election and reelection after that, of course cannot wait to alienate his base the first chance he has by breaking his repeated pledge of no amnesty or legalization.

Jeffreyvdb on January 4, 2016 at 4:15 PM