ICYMI: Exercising your Second Amendment rights is now a taxable activity in Seattle

posted at 9:31 pm on December 28, 2015 by Matt Vespa

In Seattle, exercising your Second Amendment rights is now a taxable activity. Recently, a judge ruled that the city’s ordinance that adds a $25 tax on firearms sold within the city limits, plus an additional two to five cent fee on every round of ammunition, fell within the council’s taxing authority. The law goes into effect next year (via CBS News):

King County Superior Court Judge Palmer Robinson dismissed arguments that Seattle’s tax, adopted last summer, exceeded the city’s authority under state law.

The measure — one of only a few of its kind in the nation — adds $25 to the price of each firearm sold in the city, plus 2 or 5 cents per round of ammunition, depending on the type.

“The NRA and its allies always oppose these common sense steps to shine light on the gun violence epidemic,” said City Council President Tim Burgess, who sponsored the law. “Judge Robinson saw through the NRA’s distorted efforts to put gun industry profits ahead of public safety.”

The NRA did not immediately respond to a call seeking comment, but another plaintiff, the Bellevue-based Second Amendment Foundation, promised an immediate appeal. The groups have argued state law puts responsibility for regulating firearms solely in the hands of the Legislature, not local governments.

“It is unconscionable for Mayor Ed Murray and the City Council to codify what amounts to social bigotry against firearms retailers and their customers,” Second Amendment Foundation founder Alan Gottlieb said in a written statement.

But the judge found the measure falls within the city’s taxing authority and is not an impermissible regulation.

Of course, liberals think taxes are “common sense steps” to solve any social ill. Also, there is no gun violence epidemic. Violent crime remains low, gun murders have dropped 3.9 percent from last year, and overall gun deaths have dropped 30 percent since 1993.

At the same time, this isn’t the first questionable bill regarding Second Amendment rights emanating from Washington State. In February of 2013, Ed Murray was then serving in the state senate and introduced a bill that would ban assault rifles. But it included a very controversial provision that would’ve allowed law enforcement to search one’s home once a year “to ensure compliance.” Even Seattle Times columnist Danny Westneat found this troubling. The bill was subsequently killed, and Murray was elected mayor of Seattle in November of that year (via Seattle Times 2/13):

Lance Palmer, a Seattle trial lawyer and self-described liberal who brought the troubling Senate Bill 5737 to my attention. It’s the long-awaited assault-weapons ban, introduced last week by three Seattle Democrats.

[…]

Responding to the Newtown school massacre, the bill would ban the sale of semi-automatic weapons that use detachable ammunition magazines. Clips that contain more than 10 rounds would be illegal.

But then, with respect to the thousands of weapons like that already owned by Washington residents, the bill says this:

“In order to continue to possess an assault weapon that was legally possessed on the effective date of this section, the person possessing shall … safely and securely store the assault weapon. The sheriff of the county may, no more than once per year, conduct an inspection to ensure compliance with this subsection.”

Even the bill’s co-sponsors, including then-Sen. Murray, admitted that this provision was “a mistake,” and that it was “probably unconstitutional”:

“I’m a liberal Democrat — I’ve voted for only one Republican in my life,” Palmer told me. “But now I understand why my right-wing opponents worry about having to fight a government takeover.”

He added: “It’s exactly this sort of thing that drives people into the arms of the NRA.”

I have been blasting the NRA for its paranoia in the gun-control debate. But Palmer is right — you can’t fully blame them, when cops going door-to-door shows up in legislation.

I spoke to two of the sponsors. One, Sen. Adam Kline, D-Seattle, a lawyer who typically is hyper-attuned to civil-liberties issues, said he did not know the bill authorized police searches because he had not read it closely before signing on.

“I made a mistake,” Kline said. “I frankly should have vetted this more closely.”

That lawmakers sponsor bills they haven’t read is common. Still, it’s disappointing on one of this political magnitude. Not counting a long table, it’s only an eight-page bill.

The prime sponsor, Sen. Ed Murray, D-Seattle, also condemned the search provision in his own bill, after I asked him about it. He said Palmer is right that it’s probably unconstitutional.

“I have to admit that shouldn’t be in there,” Murray said.

So, when it comes to the Second Amendment, the city council of Seattle seems to be trying to tax it out of existence.

Comments

This is the kind of environment where black markets learn how to thrive!!!

lineholder on December 28, 2015 at 9:37 PM

Jeb is on Fox with Rick Perry glasses and his hair streaked with high lights, talking like an East coast frat pledge.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on December 28, 2015 at 9:39 PM

Seattle gun stores to move just outside the city limits.

RickB on December 28, 2015 at 9:39 PM

The best reloaded in our area smokes a cigar as he works.

He is 90 years old a WWII vet.

We ask him to put the cigar out before we go in his work area.

Fearless.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on December 28, 2015 at 9:43 PM

Clips that contain more than 10 rounds

Not to turn this into a gun thread, but do clips hold more than 10? Not talking about mags.

Christien on December 28, 2015 at 9:44 PM

Most Seattle Libtard politicians do not realize that all the good gun shops are outside of city limits like In Tacoma. Besides workers at the gun shops would need to be paid the mandated Seattle $15/hour minimum wage. There are no Cabelas in Seattle for a very good reason. The Seattle Libtards should tax the petroleum based kayaks their constituents use to protest big oil companies. More revenue would come from taxing kayaks and Priuses.

Krupnikas on December 28, 2015 at 9:46 PM

This is the kind of environment where black markets learn how to thrive!!!

lineholder on December 28, 2015 at 9:37 PM

Yep. Avoiding and evading taxes like this is a moral obligation in my book.

ConstantineXI on December 28, 2015 at 9:48 PM

OT: Back from the viewing and calling hours for my mom. It went well. More than three dozen women from the lady’s American Legion Auxiliary showed up for a presentation, prayers and a poem because my mother had held every office in the Legion at one time or another. It was very touching. Some rough moments between me and the Priest over the schedule during the mass, but I think it will work out in the end. Snow has begun to fall and some ice overnight in the forecast so conditions at the grave site may be rough tomorrow, but once it’s done we will be on the way home and I’ll be back to work. Thank you again for all of the support. It means a lot to me. See you on the front page again soon. My family and I are at peace.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on December 28, 2015 at 9:39 PM

That’s my ¡La Jebita!

She is going to let everybody know that Donald Trump is a JERK!

JERK! JERK! JERK!

A jerky jerky pootie poo!

Magicjava on December 28, 2015 at 9:49 PM

Blessing for you, Jazz.

Magicjava on December 28, 2015 at 9:51 PM

Jazz Shaw on December 28, 2015 at 9:48 PM

Good that things are going well.. It’s been boring around here without ya posting threads.. These slackers you call co-workers (lol).. can’t keep up.

dougmva on December 28, 2015 at 9:52 PM

Speaking of Unconstitutional, I’d say making you pay a “violence tax” to exercise a Constitutional right falls into an even more legally egregious category than poll taxes, “literacy tests”, and other similar “Jim Crow” laws.

First of all, you are being taxed in pursuit of exercising a Constitutional right, thus violating that right. (“Shall not be infringed”.)

Second, by making you pay a tax to compensate the government for potential “violence”, you are in effect being declared guilty of that violence in advance without benefit of a trial.

I would say offhand that this law violates the Constitution under the Second, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, Tenth, and Fourteenth Amendments.

Once it is overturned by a higher court, the judge in the case should be impeached and removed from office, as should all city officials involved in writing and promulgating it.

clear ether

eon

eon on December 28, 2015 at 9:53 PM

No need for a black market. This only affects Seattle.

Let them starve themselves from this revenue stream. Gun purchasers can just go across the city lines to a gun shop and purchase all they need from them.

Now if this was a state tax, then I’d be more concerned.

And that may be coming now that the Court has given the green light to this.

There may be a black market in Ammo as a nickel a round is a very stiff tax. But look what that sort of thing has done to cigarettes in the tax that tried to tax it out of existence; still going and being sold.

jake1246 on December 28, 2015 at 9:57 PM

Gee, hope that doesn’t make illegal gun sales (gee, who by and large make those?) soar in the Emerald City.

Christien on December 28, 2015 at 10:01 PM

Jazz Shaw on December 28, 2015 at 9:48 PM

…my mother has had several strokes since Sept and we’re not optimistic……prayers to you and your family…

Pelosi Schmelosi on December 28, 2015 at 10:02 PM

BTW, I don’t think the gun tax will pass constitutional muster.

Magicjava on December 28, 2015 at 10:04 PM

If the feds can tax class 3 purchases at $200 a pop then Seattle probably has winnable a case.

bgibbs1000 on December 28, 2015 at 10:05 PM

….I can see the future of gun sales in Seattle…

Cigarette tax revenue plunges as smokers buy outside New York

Pelosi Schmelosi on December 28, 2015 at 10:06 PM

Jazz Shaw on December 28, 2015 at 9:48 PM

Good news, continue well and prayers to all that helped make this memorable.

koaiko

koaiko on December 28, 2015 at 10:11 PM

Seems to me that taxing what the Supreme Court has verified is a natural right is akin to the poll tax: it should be illegal using the same logic that was used to prohibit poll taxes.

FeedTheHogs on December 28, 2015 at 10:13 PM

…no you’re Left-Tarded and accidentally took your meds that one day…

That lawmakers sponsor bills they haven’t read is common.

…”common”, eh..??..so you’re admitting you don’t do your job…and yet you still get to keep it…if I did that, well…

Pelosi Schmelosi on December 28, 2015 at 10:14 PM

The people who ran into the street to pick up gravel after shicklegruber’s motorcade passed, still live among us.

Ash. Housewares. on December 28, 2015 at 10:16 PM

My family and I are at peace.

Jazz Shaw on December 28, 2015 at 9:48 PM

Blessings to all of you.

Schadenfreude on December 28, 2015 at 10:18 PM

So now they have to drive out of town for ammo and guns, or maybe just move out of the fascist progressive state they live in. IF they aren’t fascist progressives themselves, if they are, they shouldn’t mind the tax one bit, especially since fascist progressives don’t own guns, right?

Andy__B on December 28, 2015 at 10:18 PM

“The NRA and its allies always oppose these common sense steps to shine light on the gun violence epidemic.”
Seattle City Council President Tim Burgess

All political debate … no matter what the narrow subject of the moment is … boils down to defining ‘normal’ and defining ‘common sense.’
And I reject your definition of “common sense”, Seattle City Council President Tim Burgess.

listens2glenn on December 28, 2015 at 10:22 PM

Jazz Shaw on December 28, 2015 at 9:48 PM

Kinda missed this. Sorry for your loss Jazz. I’m glad things went well for you and prayer for her and your + all who loved her.

Mimzey on December 28, 2015 at 10:23 PM

I’ll bet my next retirement check they won’t collect even close to that amount of money.

People will just make their purchases in other cities. And there is always the option of bulk purchases of ammo on the internet.

What would be funny as hell is if Seattle PD needed new guns, and they had to pay an extra $25 for each weapon. Then the real giggles would ensue when they purchased ammo to practice/qualify.

GarandFan on December 28, 2015 at 10:26 PM

Freedom ain’t for nothin’..

And your rights aren’t free..

Electrongod on December 28, 2015 at 10:29 PM

I’d say it’s a duty of every red state to impose a huge tax on bikes, arugula, and yoga classes.

Rix on December 28, 2015 at 10:29 PM

Jazz Shaw on December 28, 2015 at 9:48 PM

Sorry for your loss, Jazz. My condolences, and prayers.

NotCoach on December 28, 2015 at 10:30 PM

GarandFan on December 28, 2015 at 10:26 PM

The city most likely exempted the police from this tax.

RickB on December 28, 2015 at 10:30 PM

*snip*

Jazz Shaw on December 28, 2015 at 9:48 PM

This is something I came across on the internet which summed up the process of losing a parent for me.

There is no one you are more dependent on than your parents.

There is no one who shapes your life more than your parents.

There is no other relationship which evolves more over the course of your life than the one you have with your parents.

The loss of a parent changes your perspective on your life and your world.

There is never enough time to prepare yourself for it.

There is a part of your heart that feels like it has disappeared with them … and will never return.

The path forward is hard and it will hurt.

Your light through this time is hard to believe in until you have done it.

Every time you remember how much they loved you; remember how much you loved them and how much your love meant to them.

There is no limit to this love. It has not died with them. It will endure after the pain has passed.

And one day as you take this path, you will realize that they are still with you – and still live – inside you.

PolAgnostic on December 28, 2015 at 10:31 PM

FeedTheHogs on December 28, 2015 at 10:13 PM

There is also plenty of precedent concerning taxation and the 1st Amendment, and finding such taxes unconstitutional.

NotCoach on December 28, 2015 at 10:31 PM

Hon. Palmer Robinson
King County Superior Court, Seattle, WA

HON. PALMER ROBINSON was appointed to the King County Superior Court by Governor Gary Locke in November 1999. She has served as assistant chief criminal judge, chief criminal judge, chief judge of the Norm Maleng Regional Justice Center, assistant presiding judge and a member of the court’s executive committee.Judge Robinson is a graduate of Stanford University and University of California, Hastings College of the Law. Following graduation from law school she worked for Dwayne Richards and Safeco Insurance Company. She joined Carney Badley Spellman PS in 1982 and practiced with the firm’s litigation department until she joined the bench. Judge Robinson was the first woman president of the Washington Defense Lawyers, was elected to the American Board of Trial Advocates and was recognized as a “Superlawyer” by Washington Lawyer and one of Seattle’s best lawyers by Seattle Magazine.[August 2012]

Office of Governor Gary Locke
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – November 23, 1999
Contact: Governor’s Communications Office, 360-902-4136
Locke names four to King County Superior Court positions

Pelosi Schmelosi on December 28, 2015 at 10:36 PM

. . . . . So, in a sense, this gun tax is bad, but it could’ve been a lot worse. The state also passed a universal background check law–initiative 597–last year. CBS News added that gun store owners might consider leaving the city, as these taxes would kill future sales.

So, when it comes to the Second Amendment, the city council of Seattle seems to be trying to tax it out of existence.
posted at 9:31 pm on December 28, 2015 by Matt Vespa

They (the Progressives) are ALL trying to make the 2nd Amendment go away (the whole Constitution, acually), nationwide, ANY … WAY … THEY … CAN.

“Taxing it out of existence” isn’t really all that new, or recent.

listens2glenn on December 28, 2015 at 10:37 PM

Pelosi Schmelosi on December 28, 2015 at 10:36 PM

Thank you, for that pertinent background info.

listens2glenn on December 28, 2015 at 10:40 PM

This douche puts magazine fed pistols into the category of “assault weapons” with his delusional bill 5737.

(20) “Assault weapon” means:
(a) Any semiautomatic pistol or semiautomatic or pump-action rifle or shotgun that is capable of accepting a detachable magazine, with a capacity to accept more then ten rounds of ammunition and that also possesses any of the following:

(iii) If the firearm is a pistol, a shoulder stock of any type or configuration, including but not limited to a folding stock or a telescoping stock;
(iv) A barrel shroud;
(v) A muzzle brake or muzzle compensator;

Makes gun look scary = more deadly.

Jazz Shaw on December 28, 2015 at 9:48 PM

Glad it is going as well. Blessings and prayers to you and your family, Jazz.

Patriot Vet on December 28, 2015 at 10:40 PM

Jazz Shaw on December 28, 2015 at 9:48 PM
Jazz, my sincere condolences on the passing of your mother, may God bless you and your family and may you have a safe journey home.

Bakokitty on December 28, 2015 at 10:46 PM

Thank you, for that pertinent background info.

listens2glenn on December 28, 2015 at 10:40 PM

…you’re so welcome…I’m always curious when it comes to judges…

Pelosi Schmelosi on December 28, 2015 at 10:46 PM

eon on December 28, 2015 at 9:53 PM
From your lips to Gods ear, and can a punitive amount be levied to fine Seattle , from now until the next century be attached as well?

Bakokitty on December 28, 2015 at 10:51 PM

When Gun Violence Felt Like a Disease, a City in Delaware Turned to the C.D.C.

The final report, which has been submitted to the state, reached a conclusion that many here said they already knew: that there are certain patterns in the lives of many who commit gun violence.

“The majority of individuals involved in urban firearm violence are young men with substantial violence involvement preceding the more serious offense of a firearm crime,” the report said. “Our findings suggest that integrating data systems could help these individuals better receive the early, comprehensive help that they need to prevent violence involvement.”

Pelosi Schmelosi on December 28, 2015 at 10:53 PM

Put a per byte and per second tax on all local, national and inter national internet and video news and blogs on the people of Washington.

Force anyone in the news media to get a State approved license before they can communicate anything.

Put equal restrictions on the 1st Amendment in Washington as those they’re putting on the 2nd.

Ruckus_Tom on December 28, 2015 at 10:56 PM

I was born in Seattle, lived and worked half my life in and around the greater Seattle area, but moved to Eastern Washington about 10 years ago. It’s gotten so bad in Seattle that when I go back there now it’s like visiting a foreign country. I still know my way around, the place itself is familiar, but the composite of the people has radically changed. Seattle didn’t used to be nearly this scary, but hundreds of thousands of socialist immigrants have moved there and have fundamentally altered its political composition. Before the tidal wave of mass-socialist-immigration there was a wave of Californians moving there, bringing their authoritarian views with them. That was bad enough, but mass-immigration was worse.

I’ve always been proud that I grew up on both sides of Washington state, but now Seattle is going down hill so fast due to mass-immigration that I’d like Eastern Washington to Split from Western Washington if things keep going this way. Unfortunately, Eastern Washington has a mass-immigration problem, too, but its political composition is less intolerable. It seems to me that the best solution shouldn’t be to split the state, but rather to deport as many of the unassimilated foreign socialists as the American people and law will allow, or at least stop importing any more.

Immigration is too damn high! There is no quality control. We should let in far fewer immigrants, only the ones that actually respect and admire American values and want to defend and protect them. Muslims and other believers in totalitarian or authoritarian political philosophies/religions that are incompatible with freedom and liberty don’t belong here. Immigrants need to be screened far more closely than they have been. In the old days immigrants were immersed in Americana and inevitably assimilated. Times have changed. Now we have satellite TV with channels from all over the world, computers, the Internet, foreign language radio-stations operating all over America. The assimilation process that served America so well in the past is no more. Back then immigrants were immersed into America and there was a natural process of assimilation that would inevitably take place without much foreign influence. People would send letters and, later, telegrams back to the old-country, but there was no significant connection there.

Now a technological genie has been let out of the bottle and can’t be put back in. Immigrants don’t assimilate like they did back then. Now, unlike then, too many immigrants are more like colonists, if not invaders. They are bringing authoritarian and totalitarian foreign ideologies antithetical to American values with them, and maintaining them. Many immigrants immerse themselves in a foreign entertainment, news and information universe. They don’t melt into America and are fundamentally transforming it into the totalitarian socialist/fascist hell holes that they came from.

So the solution is to greatly reduce immigration and only allow people in if they really, truly believe in America and require little assimilation. If possible, IMO, unassimilated foreigners that should never have been allowed green-cards, or whatever the law will allow, should also be deported.

In the modern age, if we want to preserve American values of freedom and liberty, we need to carefully screen immigrants and only allow people in who are compatible with America. If they want to come here and transform America into their crappy old-country home-country, because they don’t like America but want to exploit its opportunities, they’re not welcome here as far as I’m concerned.

The assimilation process is kaput and the genie can’t be put back in the bottle. From now on the free-world is going to have to severely restrict immigration if they are to remain relatively free, unified nations. Alternatively we will be subsumed by un-American and anti-American foreign ideologies and will inexorably be transformed.

FloatingRock on December 28, 2015 at 10:57 PM

Jazz,

I’m so very sorry to hear of your loss of your mother. My sincere sympathy and condolences. What a wonderful thing for those ladies to do to remember your mom.

Ties to the past help ground us going into the future. When my mother died this fall some friends whom I hadn’t seen in years came. A couple of them I’d known since I was about five years old. That meant a lot.

I pray tomorrow will be a time of remembering that brings some heart’s ease to you. My prayers for you and your family.

INC on December 28, 2015 at 11:03 PM

The gun stores in Renton and Bellevue are thankful for the new business.

JamesB on December 28, 2015 at 11:07 PM

They’d make more money taxing the tax makers.

Limerick on December 28, 2015 at 11:12 PM

Which constitutional right will be taxed next?

Are they going to make certain micro-aggression words taxable?

Oxymoron on December 28, 2015 at 11:39 PM

This douche puts magazine fed pistols into the category of “assault weapons” with his delusional bill 5737………………
Patriot Vet on December 28, 2015 at 10:40 PM

Merely mirroring the Federal House bill that H.R. 4269 came out last week (with 96 co-sponsors)…

I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if there was collusion between the Feds and the city.

LegendHasIt on December 28, 2015 at 11:50 PM

Rix on December 28, 2015 at 10:29 PM

Indeed.
But there aren’t any more yoga classes because they are guilty of cultural appropriation and don’t pass the SJW sniff test.

AesopFan on December 29, 2015 at 12:03 AM

Jazz Shaw on December 28, 2015 at 9:48 PM

Mom would have been proud of her boy:

Best Blogger in a Group Blog:
Jazz Shaw of Hot Air: Consistently excellent coverage of an impressively wide range of issues

Congratulations on the recognition; it is well deserved.
Blessings to you and your family.

AesopFan on December 29, 2015 at 12:05 AM

The rain
Ruined their brain

Schadenfreude on December 29, 2015 at 12:15 AM

I think Claire Wolfe would say “it’s time” at least in Seattle.

Who is John Galt on December 29, 2015 at 12:15 AM

It’s an undue burden on a constitutional right. It’s akin to a poll tax or a tax on abortions. There is tons of precedent to that effect and any judge not appointed by Obama and who’s read the constitution should be able to come to the right conclusion.

mouse31 on December 29, 2015 at 12:43 AM

Of course all of the gang-bangers, being the upstanding citizens they are, will be dropping by the King Co. courthouse to pay all those back taxes on all of those illegal, black market guns in their possession. The Seattle area has a nasty gang problem but of course our local ( or is it loco?) proggie officials, along with the demented local media, keep braying about “gun violence”. Stop the gangs, stop 80% of the “gun violence”.

But seeing that the gang-bangers are a major constituency group for the proggies, the NRA is made to be the bad guy.

Child In Time on December 29, 2015 at 12:48 AM

The gun stores will simply move outside the city limits and join all the businesses who left to escape the $15/hour minimum wage.

I have to laugh at the “revenue estimates” though. It’s like in Maine when the idjit leftists increased the cigarette tax by $1/pack. They figured it’d bring in another $100 million annually. Come the following year, they’d realized just about $70 million. Wouldn’t have been a problem but the morons had already spent the $100 million they expected. What they hadn’t counted on was all these Mainers going to the reservation store or across the border to New Hampshire for their smokes. I expect a similar thing will be happening in Seattle with this new gun tax.

TKindred on December 29, 2015 at 12:56 AM

Nobody knows how it got in there. It’s a mystery. It was probably a typo.

Fenris on December 29, 2015 at 1:10 AM

Grosjean vs American press was a case where Louisiana passed a tax on newspapers. Courts found it wasn’t an “ordinary tax” to raise revenue, but one intended to inhibit first amendment rights. I suspect this would be vulnerable to a similar challenge as an inhibition on second amendment rights. The tax is not a general sales tax (e.g. 5% on anything sold), but on specific items that enjoy constitutional protection. File a civil rights violation case against the city. Don’t settle until every city employ has taken gun safety and training classes as part of constitutional rights awareness remedial education.

yetanotherjohn on December 29, 2015 at 1:10 AM

. . . Making you pay a “violence tax” to exercise a Constitutional right falls into an even more legally egregious category than poll taxes, “literacy tests”, and other similar “Jim Crow” laws. . . . You are being taxed in pursuit of exercising a Constitutional right, thus violating that right. . . . By making you pay a tax to compensate the government for potential “violence”, you are in effect being declared guilty of that violence in advance without benefit of a trial.

I
eon on December 28, 2015 at 9:53 PM

Well-said when you edit out the extraneous and don’t clear the ether.

Younggod on December 29, 2015 at 1:52 AM

I’m so confused. The comments on this thread ar at a stark difference to those on the Tamir Rice thread..

Politricks on December 29, 2015 at 3:13 AM

I’m so confused.

No surprise there.

That would likely be because there is a stark difference between the two threads.

F X Muldoon on December 29, 2015 at 5:58 AM

Hmmmm…..wonder if they will bring back poll taxes….they can use the money for programs to get people to stop voting stupid and stuff

Caseoftheblues on December 29, 2015 at 5:59 AM

Seattle/King County is the liberal hell hole in Washington state, that overrides all the other counties combined when it comes to elections and stupid ideas.

sadatoni on December 29, 2015 at 7:03 AM

No need for a black market. This only affects Seattle.

jake1246 on December 28, 2015 at 9:57 PM

It doesn’t – if one municipality gets away with it, then a second, a third, then multiple.

It’s called setting a precedent. It’s not just that they passed the tax, but also that a judge ruled it was legal. Now any municipality in WA apparently can pass a similar tax.

Lance Corvette on December 29, 2015 at 7:12 AM

Gun sales going up in Washington and Oregon!

albill on December 29, 2015 at 7:18 AM

‘CBS affiliate KIRO reported the City Budget Office estimates the tax will raise between $300,000 and $500,000 a year to be used for gun violence research and prevention programs when it takes effect in January.”

So forcing pro-2A citizens to fund the anti-2A movement is constitutional? Will we next see a tax on baby delivery with the revenue going to Planned Parenthood?

Uffda on December 29, 2015 at 8:07 AM

Seattle City Council President Tim Burgess

They TALK about common sense gun laws but NEVER propose any.

Statistically, GUN FREE Zones and other areas that have been designated off limits to anyone carrying a firearm have been the most common place for mass killings with a firearm.

Yet they never seem to get that and rescind the laws that make them mandatory or possible.

Then there’s the accidental deaths of children who find a firearm and it winds up killing one of them.

Yet leftist progressive go into screaming fits of rage when it’s suggested that the NRA (or anyone else for that matter) provide instructors and materials to teach young children how to behave around firearms for their safety. We used to do that. Right in school. And the lowered number of accidents was not . . (heh) an accident.

There’s more of course but the farthest thing from a leftist progressives mind when it comes to guns is common sense.

jake1246 on December 29, 2015 at 8:07 AM

This is wrong, but it should be fairly easy to get around it. Just go to the next county and buy your guns and ammo there.

Nineball on December 29, 2015 at 8:39 AM

“Taxing it out of existence” isn’t really all that new, or recent.

listens2glenn on December 28, 2015 at 10:37 PM

that is the European model that the left is so enamored with. By making it still available but too expensive for almost everyone to participate. Both hunting and firearms are extremely expensive in most nations.

aceinstall on December 29, 2015 at 8:45 AM

Seattle’s pretty full up with socialists/communists these days. Move outside the city, let it waste away like Detroit.

TerryW on December 29, 2015 at 8:52 AM

one more step in the journey of a thousand miles to disarm the peasants.

aceinstall on December 29, 2015 at 8:52 AM

Seattle gun stores to move just outside the city limits.

RickB on December 28, 2015 at 9:39 PM

Relatives live in Marysville. If I were on their city council, I’d create a tax rebate equal to Seattle’s new tax: $25 rebate on each gun purchase, and $.05 rebate on each round of ammo. Watch the gun shops flock to move.

Nutstuyu on December 29, 2015 at 8:57 AM

sadatoni on December 29, 2015 at 7:03 AM

Just like Chicago/Cook County in IL. Where are those city-leveling alien ships from Independence Day when you need one?

Nutstuyu on December 29, 2015 at 8:58 AM

Politricks on December 29, 2015 at 3:13 AM

‘Nuff said. GDIAF.

Nutstuyu on December 29, 2015 at 9:02 AM

Nineball on December 29, 2015 at 8:39 AM

Or buy online where you not only runaround this unconstitutional tax but the 9.5 percent sales tax as well. More than makes up for the FFL transfer fees of $25 to $50.

Younggod on December 29, 2015 at 9:05 AM

Western Washington state is a communist shithole that would serve the nation best by sliding into the sea. Not to be confused with Eastern Washington on the other side of the Cascades populated with solid patriotic Americans.

The only redeeming feature of Washington gun laws is that gun safes are exempt from sales tax.

Younggod on December 29, 2015 at 9:12 AM

“Taxing it out of existence” isn’t really all that new, or recent.
listens2glenn on December 28, 2015 at 10:37 PM

aceinstall on December 29, 2015 at 8:45 AM

Excellent … “commoners” have no business engaging in that sort-of activity.

It’s for Royalty, only . . . . . and We’ll Never Be Royals.

listens2glenn on December 29, 2015 at 9:18 AM

So it’s legal to tax people to vote? And you can tax people to speak freely? Tax them if they go to church?

You can tax people who want a speedy or fair trial?

Tax women to vote?

Tax someone for petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances?

Tax people who want due process?

All of those amendments in the constitutions can be taxed now?

So you can tax someone for paying taxes? As well as not paying them?

That judge needs to go back to 9th grade civics class…

right2bright on December 29, 2015 at 9:36 AM

LegendHasIt on December 28, 2015 at 11:50 PM

Have you read that? I could be wrong with my quick read, but it seems to pretty much ban the ownership of just about all semi-automatic firearms. It also seems to ban quite a few sporting firearms based on the stock or magazine capability.

Dr. Frank Enstine on December 29, 2015 at 9:51 AM

guess it’s time to start taxing ‘free’ speech

RonK on December 29, 2015 at 9:56 AM

Interestingly enough, these are the same people who say requiring an ID to vote that costs far less (or nothing at all) than their gun tax is too intrusive on constitutional rights. I guess some constitutional rights are more equal than other…comrades.

batter on December 29, 2015 at 10:36 AM

Dr. Frank Enstine on December 29, 2015 at 9:51 AM

Of course I have read that. And yes your notions are correct.

But on the bright side they are willing to allow you to keep your Henry and Marlin Lever Action high capacity Cowboy Assault Rifles and a whole host of bolt action and single shot rifles, and a few assault revolvers.

I think that is awfully generous of them.

LegendHasIt on December 29, 2015 at 10:52 AM

Murray was worried that the annual search provision might have been unconstitutional. I am sure he would have been okay with the law passing anyway.

bartbeast on December 29, 2015 at 10:55 AM

Cook County is trying the same stunt, and they’re going to get pounded in court for it.

Mohonri on December 29, 2015 at 11:24 AM

The only “mistake” these jackasses made, was to let the truth slip through into print.

JackM on December 29, 2015 at 11:27 AM

Any “Right” should not be taxable…and that include Health Care. Once they tax it they can control it and then it is not a right, it is a product which they can choose not to sell you.

rgranger on December 29, 2015 at 12:29 PM

Politricks on December 29, 2015 at 3:13 AM

Congrats on telling the truth for once.
Yes – you are VERY confused – 2 completely different subjects will tend to get completely different comments.

dentarthurdent on December 29, 2015 at 12:37 PM

Mohonri on December 29, 2015 at 11:24 AM

The same way Obamacare got pounded in the Supreme Court?

Wouldn’t hold my breath on that.

Dr. ZhivBlago on December 29, 2015 at 1:05 PM

How is it constitutional to tax a right?

Zelsdorf Ragshaft on December 29, 2015 at 1:13 PM

How is it constitutional to tax a right?

Zelsdorf Ragshaft on December 29, 2015 at 1:13 PM

You’ll have to ask Chief Justice Benedict Roberts.

dentarthurdent on December 29, 2015 at 2:15 PM

If that’s so, then it’s equally legal to charge a $25 tax every time you vote, for precisely the same reasons.

Right UE, everdiso, verbaluce, Tlaloc, weedisgood, OliverB?

GrumpyOldFart on December 29, 2015 at 2:58 PM

Words wound.
Words kill.
Words cause hate.
Words cause anger.
Words cause societal upheaval.

We need to license, regulate and tax words.

If constituonal rights are meaningless in the Obama era, then words must be regulated.

KMC1 on December 29, 2015 at 5:20 PM

What is this code for? Will they hire the NRA? Can they be more specific “gun violence research” ? What is that? “Prevention programs”? Yeah that is very affective. SF and Seattle, 2 cesspool cities.

Goodie on December 29, 2015 at 6:30 PM

I think the “gun tax = poll tax, therefore unconstitutional” argument has been floating around for a while now. I look forward to seeing it in front of the Supine Supreme Court.

And can we Levy taxes on any people or organization, which encourages its members to kill non-members? Just in case anyone cairs.

ReggieA on December 29, 2015 at 8:51 PM

Eventually we will have to fight or just give up our rights. There’s no middle ground. None.

claudius on December 29, 2015 at 9:06 PM

Yes, but how will we need to fight?
Soap box.
Ballot box.
Cartridge box.

If we use the first, we’re shouted down and prosecuted for “hate speech”.
If we use the second, they will “find” other votes, loose ours, or just add more “voters”.
And they want to take away the third box.

ReggieA on December 29, 2015 at 9:54 PM

I would like to see a tax assessed on every member of the Democrat Party. We will use the revenue for stupidity research and prevention.

JackM on December 29, 2015 at 11:01 PM

The city most likely exempted the police from this tax.

RickB on December 28, 2015 at 10:30 PM

That is something done routinely. Government always exempts itself.

ReggieA on December 29, 2015 at 8:51 PM

ISWYDT

Quartermaster on December 30, 2015 at 2:16 PM

I am so tired of this constant assault on our Constitution. Effing progressives and the effing judges in their pockets. What part of “shall not be infringed” is unclear? Honestly, we are losing our Bill of Rights right before our eyes, and the average American couldn’t care jack.

idalily on December 30, 2015 at 2:40 PM

I play by the same rules set up for corrupt politician’s

IXXINY on December 31, 2015 at 2:18 PM