Franklin Graham quits the GOP over Planned Parenthood funding in the new omnibus bill

posted at 2:31 pm on December 23, 2015 by Allahpundit

Is my headline accurate? The idea of him quitting over the widely loathed omnibus is irresistible given the apocalyptic mood on the right about an impending GOP crack-up, and that’s certainly how the wider media is treating this. But Graham’s been slamming the party for months now. Note his choice of words below. Funding PP is an example of why he quit the party, not the final straw. Which makes sense: Republicans have been voting for bills that contain money for Planned Parenthood for ages. As repulsive as the baby-parts sting videos this past year were, pro-lifers were under no illusions before that about PP being a death factory for children in the womb. Graham’s reaction makes more sense as a “case in point” than as the GOP having at long last crossed a taboo line.

But that’s a nitpick. If you’re looking for showy evidence that populist disgust at the party leadership is driving supporters away and building a base for previously unimaginable insurgencies like Trump’s, you’ve found it.

Shame on the Republicans and the Democrats for passing such a wasteful spending bill last week. And to top it off, funding Planned Parenthood! A Huffington Post article called it “a big win for Planned Parenthood.” I call it a big loss for America. After all of the appalling facts revealed this year about Planned Parenthood, our representatives in Washington had a chance to put a stop to this, but they didn’t. There’s no question—taxpayers should not be paying for abortions! Abortion is murder in God’s eyes. Seeing and hearing Planned Parenthood talk nonchalantly about selling baby parts from aborted fetuses with utter disregard for human life is reminiscent of Joseph Mengele and the Nazi concentration camps! That should’ve been all that was needed to turn off the faucet for their funding. Nothing was done to trim this 2,000 page, $1.1 trillion budget. This is an example of why I have resigned from the Republican Party and declared myself Independent. I have no hope in the Republican Party, the Democratic Party, or Tea Party to do what is best for America. Unless more godly men and women get in this process and change this wicked system, our country is in for trouble. I want to challenge Christians, even pastors, across the country to pray about running for office where they can have an impact. We need mayors, country commissioners, city council members, school board members who will uphold biblical values.

Via Betsy Woodruff, compare that to what Graham told a local news outfit in North Carolina seven months ago:

“I have no faith in the Democratic Party, I have no faith in the Republican Party, I have no faith in the Tea Party, whoever they are,” Graham told WIAT 42 News in an interview posted on Thurday.

He added that he’s not endorsing anyone in the 2016 elections, but urges Christians to run for office.

His remarks echo an earlier statement he made in April, when he said he doesn’t believe either Democrats or Republicans will be able to fix America’s problems.

“At 62 years of age, I’ve lived long enough to learn that neither the Democrats nor the Republicans can turn this country around; no political party or politician is the answer. The only hope for this country is Almighty God and His Son Jesus Christ,” Graham said in a Facebook post.

He’s given up on both parties, he won’t endorse, and Christian candidates are our only hope: That’s been his message since spring, one he’s reiterated intermittently. Which, however, is really just another way of saying he was ahead of the curve in this year’s ferocious backlash against the Republican establishment. (Trump didn’t declare his candidacy until a month after Graham made the comments quoted above.) If, as Woodruff imagines, this triggers some wider exodus by evangelicals from the GOP then it’s a two-front catastrophe for Republicans, losing “moderate” nationalist Republicans to Trump on the one hand and devoted social conservatives to the sort of disaffection Graham describes on the other. My question to you is, how likely is that really? Especially with Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio as serious contenders for the nomination, why wouldn’t evangelicals hang around at least through November and try to get a social con elected president? I find it hard to believe, if America’s staring at a choice next fall between Cruz and abortion fanatic Hillary Clinton, that Graham will be scrupulously silent as to his preferences.

If there was a mass movement of evangelicals away from the GOP in the works, I’m guessing we’d have heard noises of disgruntlement before Tony Perkins, Bob Vander Plaats, and various other Christian conservatives decided to unify behind Cruz earlier this month. In fact, although I take Graham at his word that he’s done with the party, it’s hard not to notice how his statement redounds to Cruz’s benefit. Party leaders are leery of Cruz as nominee but they’ll be less leery if they think that nominating someone else might alienate influential social conservatives from the party irretrievably. Graham’s statement increases the right’s leverage in getting their man, whatever his intentions. Rubio’s a social con in good standing too, of course, but he doesn’t have quite the same record of endorsements that Cruz does and his response to some of the gay-rights cultural flashpoints this year has been more tepid than Cruz’s has. The X factor, though, as always, is Trump. How would evangelicals react to him as nominee? He’s the living embodiment of the “smash the GOP” vibe Graham’s tapping into here, but he’s coming at that as a New Yorker who’s been known to say that he’s not sure if he’s ever sought God’s forgiveness and that he’s happy to accept the “little cracker” in church. He’s on the right side of defunding Planned Parenthood (for now) but he’s not even pretending to be the sort of devout Christian that Cruz and Rubio are. Is that a dealbreaker for social conservatives? Franklin Graham seems to like him okay, especially his proposed travel ban on Muslims.

Comments

Anybody know what beef he has with the TEA Party?
Aren’t they all about fiscal responsibility, limited government, personal liberty (with responsibility), the rule of law, and adherence to the Constitution?

Dexter_Alarius on December 24, 2015 at 9:58 AM

SoCon’s have never been fans of the TEA Party for the reasons you note. They didn’t like the TEA Party’s lack of focus on social issues.

Tater Salad on December 24, 2015 at 10:30 AM

He (Tlaloc) is in a for a rude awakening upon (physical) death.
garydt on December 24, 2015 at 10:02 AM

Yeah … he’s going to find out that he really IS … going to exist forever … and ever … and ever … and ever . . . . .

Time, literally, will never end, for all those who die in body, without the LORD.

listens2glenn on December 24, 2015 at 11:02 AM

Anybody know what beef he has with the TEA Party?

Dexter_Alarius on December 24, 2015 at 9:58 AM

Tater Salad on December 24, 2015 at 10:30 AM

You give me an example of a “TEA Party” issue, that has nothing to do with “morality” or “social concerns”… yes, I’m serious … I triple-dog dare and DEFY you to produce, conjure, or otherwise point out any such example.

Call Howard Stern, if you have to … whatever … just come up with one (1).

listens2glenn on December 24, 2015 at 11:28 AM

Until GWB and Huck came on the scene, I didn’t know there were soc cons who were not also fiscal cons and for limuted gov. I still don’t know any personally.

Graham is saying do not put your trust in man to turn this nation around. God is the only one who can deliver us from the mess we’re in.

INC on December 24, 2015 at 11:54 AM

Anybody know what beef he has with the TEA Party?

Dexter_Alarius on December 24, 2015 at 9:58 AM

Might be because when some of them went to Washington they got sucked into the culture. That is why he wants godly people.

wifarmboy on December 24, 2015 at 11:58 AM

INC on December 24, 2015 at 11:54 AM

Me neither … but Tater Salad seems to know some, so let’s just wait on him.

listens2glenn on December 24, 2015 at 12:15 PM

Locke, Descarte, etc all developed enlightenment principles despite having been indoctrinated in christianity.

Tlaloc on December 23, 2015 at 5:12 PM

You just shot yourself in the foot, while fumbling in the duel.

But thank you for acknowledging that the principles of our Founding Fathers, and what they passed on to our nation in our form of government, came from enlightened people who LEARNED IT FROM CHRISTIANITY!

dominigan on December 24, 2015 at 12:33 PM

In leftist world, rights come from government. So if the doctor hasn’t signed the birth certificate yet, it has no legal existence, therefore isn’t a human and has no rights.

Presumably that also means that 2 years ago when my house burned to the ground and all my legal papers of any kind ceased to exist, I had no rights and could have been killed with impunity, since I wasn’t a human until I acquired legal paperwork again.

However, I have a question for those who believe rights are a legal fiction created and maintained solely by government.

Amendment X:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Delegated by whom?

GrumpyOldFart on December 24, 2015 at 2:02 PM

If I don’t get my way I’m talking my ball and going home, what a baby.

News flash Rev. Graham, there has never been nor will there ever be a perfect candidate… I’m not running. :-)

You sound like a Democrat emoting.

flyfish on December 24, 2015 at 2:25 PM

Tlaloc on December 23, 2015 at 5:12 PM

You just shot yourself in the foot, while fumbling in the duel.

dominigan on December 24, 2015 at 12:33 PM

Cha-ching.

CWforFreedom on December 24, 2015 at 2:31 PM

flyfish on December 24, 2015 at 2:25 PM

Well … ahemmm mmm mmm (clearing throat) … I wasn’t going to use quite that strong of language, but I agree with you, in that I don’t see where “quitting” the party does any good towards ‘general election outcomes’, in the end.

Serious voters need to VOTE IN A PRIMARY.

However … nothing says YOU HAVE TO GIVE DONATIONS TO THE PARTY YOU BELONG TO.

Give straight to the candidate of your choice, instead.

Then, if you don’t like the candidate your party nominated, WRITE IN YOUR PREFERRED CANDIDATE at the general election.

If the Party Bosses suck (and ours do), then DEFUND THEM.

listens2glenn on December 24, 2015 at 4:06 PM

Tlaloc on December 23, 2015 at 5:12 PM

You just shot yourself in the foot, while fumbling in the duel.

dominigan on December 24, 2015 at 12:33 PM

Cha-ching.
CWforFreedom on December 24, 2015 at 2:31 PM

I don’t believe Tlaloc could identify one (1), single, solitary “ideal of Christianity”.
But he’s free to come back, and prove me WRONG … right, Tlaloc ?

We’re all waiting . . . . . . .

listens2glenn on December 24, 2015 at 4:20 PM

listens2glenn on December 24, 2015 at 4:06 PM

Did you see this?

IDontCair on December 24, 2015 at 4:21 PM

listens2glenn on December 24, 2015 at 4:06 PM

Did you see this?

IDontCair on December 24, 2015 at 4:21 PM

I probably would have seen it, if I weren’t so dang blasted lazy that I can’t lift myself outta’ my recliner … where I spend most all of my time now, eating bon bons, watching TV, and occasionally posting comments at Hotair.com, while waiting for the Rapture.

listens2glenn on December 24, 2015 at 9:53 PM

Still waiting for Tlaloc, I see…

listens2glenn on December 24, 2015 at 9:59 PM

I stand with Dr. Graham on the stand he has taken here. I never will trust the Democratic Party, and I have totally lost faith in the Republican Party. As for the Tea Party, they have lost the direction they were once on and have become a fringe movement run by borderline extremists who are literally one step from going off the deep end! I find nothing in any candidate running for President that would win my vote. And I am totally disgusted with Paul Ryan for being the gutless yellow coward he has proven to be,and if given the chance, I would call him a gutless yellow coward to his face, knowing he would not do a damn thing about it! We do not need politicians in office! We need LEADERS! And that is exactly what is wrong in government right now! THERE ARE NO LEADERS IN OFFICE! There are only politicians!

pilamaye on December 24, 2015 at 10:03 PM

As a friend of mine said a few years ago:

“I didn’t leave the GOP. The GOP left me.”

ProfShadow on December 24, 2015 at 10:11 PM

If I don’t get my way I’m talking my ball and going home, what a baby.

You sound like a Democrat emoting.

flyfish on December 24, 2015 at 2:25 PM

You no likey Franklin leaving the reservation that doesn’t suit his purposes, do you?

See what I highlighted? Funny, I say the same about a whiny control freak like you! :D

Anti-ControI on December 24, 2015 at 10:31 PM

pilamaye on December 24, 2015 at 10:03 PM

It’s clear to me that Ryan is a dhimmi.

Anti-ControI on December 24, 2015 at 10:53 PM

AP is trying desperately to wring a little political interest out of today.

I don’t read this as Franklin Graham vowing to never vote Republican again. I read it as him refusing to be loyal to the Republican party any more. I read it as refusing to vote for a candidate that doesn’t reflect his values just because he’s the Republican candidate. And I read it as no longer being willing to vote for the Republican incumbent unless he’s the right kind of candidate.

All overdue.

It’s become quite clear that the moderate Republicans are no more in tune with the base than liberal Democrats. They may not be in direct opposition, but they’ll stage elaborate shows of failure theater to line up with the Democrats. The problem, of course, is that this behavior presumes that the base will never catch on, and that hope is long dead.

How many Republican politicians were tickled pink to hear SCOTUS make their ridiculous declaration that the Constitution had something to say about marriage, just because they thought it would get them off the hook on the subject of homomarriage? Marco Rubio could hardly wait to declare it was now a “settled issue,” because “the Supreme Court has spoken.”

And when Planned Parenthood is caught dead-to-rights dealing in aborted baby parts for profit, these profiles in courage couldn’t even say, “let’s at least agree that something controversial like federal funding for abortion needs to be settled as a separate issue.” No, nothing must be denied to the left.

Really, how hard is it to answer criticism for refusing to fund Planned Parenthood in the omnibus bill? Just say, “Nobody gets everything they wanted, and the Democrats can’t be allowed to hold all spending hostage to more funding for abortion,” and you’re done.

There Goes the Neighborhood on December 24, 2015 at 11:02 PM

I have long argued that many social conservative voters, such as evangelical, are largely liberal on economic / size of gov’t issues.

I’m not saying all social conservative voters are this way, but many are – see the support Huckabee – a big gov’t liberal on every issue by abortion – has received in the past as an example. Also see that evangelicals and catholics tend to be for open borders, amnesty, entitlement programs for the poor, etc.

Monkeytoe on December 23, 2015 at 2:45 PM

On the contrary, most social conservatives are more conservative on economic issues.

As for size of government, the issue is not how big the government is, but how far it reaches. I’m for a strong defense, which inevitably requires a somewhat bigger government than no defense spending would. But national defense is a proper function of government, whereas welfare is not.

Huckabee is not an indicator of what social conservatives want. You’ll note that he panders to social conservatives on some issues, but panders to economic populists on others. Social conservatives generally prefer someone like Cruz.

There Goes the Neighborhood on December 24, 2015 at 11:29 PM

Damn. Just going to say this once. The fact that Salem lets in the trolls and encourages them to add to the hit count is the reason I left this place in 2011 for more reasoned sites.

Looks like this cycle will be even more brutal. Be well, all.

ManWithNoParty on December 25, 2015 at 1:22 AM

Why the hate toward Paul Ryan. He and his childrens’ childrens’ children are now rich beyond belief. I can only imagine who much they had to put in his Swiss bank accounts for them to pull this cluster**** off.

Labamigo on December 25, 2015 at 10:51 AM

listens2glenn on December 24, 2015 at 9:53 PM

:]

IDontCair on December 25, 2015 at 11:06 AM

It’s clear to me that Ryan is a dhimmi.
Anti-ControI on December 24, 2015 at 10:53 PM

I dunno… With that growing beard, it looks to me more like he has become an enthusiastic full convert.

LegendHasIt on December 25, 2015 at 2:32 PM

“Christian Sharia?………..Hahahaha….we’ve been living under a tyrannical Progressive Sharia when that racist Glibalist Woody Wilson was sworn in.

Progressive Sharia uses “incrementalism” to force membership in its religion.

“Voluntary” seat belts…..then mandatory but the police can’t stop you for it……..then the police can stop you and give you a ticket but it won’t be for the original sin of not wearing your belts….then it’s they can set up roadblocks and use “seat belt enforcement” units to stop all traffic to do what?….FINE YOU for behavior in your own freaking car!!!

And other examples abound…..the IRS and how income tax was set up in 1913.

Federal mileage standards.

Regulations on shower heads, toilets, dishwashers, all manner of appliances, telling you how to separate your trash.

PROGRESSIVE SHARIA is here!!!

PappyD61 on December 25, 2015 at 6:45 PM

listens2glenn on December 24, 2015 at 9:53 PM

:]
IDontCair on December 25, 2015 at 11:06 AM

Yeah, but shhh … just keep that between us.

If God finds out, boy, will my butt ever be “burned.”

listens2glenn on December 26, 2015 at 11:13 AM

ManWithNoParty on December 25, 2015 at 1:22 AM

LORD knows I don’t hold Salem up as being an example of perfection, but what “more reasoned sites”?

listens2glenn on December 26, 2015 at 11:19 AM

Oops, almost forgot
STILL … waiting for Tlaloc

listens2glenn on December 26, 2015 at 11:23 AM

We’ll see how Cruz handles his capitulation on the depraved lawlessness of the degenerate “gay marriage/marriage equality” fraud: http://hotair.com/archives/2015/12/23/report-cruz-tells-new-york-donors-at-fundraiser-that-gay-marriage-isnt-a-top-three-priority/
That’ll really make social cons ecstatic!
See the bogus nature of the “homosex-” oxymoron exposed by “The gay invention” at http://www.touchstonemag.com and http://www.DrJudithReisman.org
America, the sad sap land of Lysenkoist useful idiots, dimwitted characters out of Orwell’s 1984, though thank God for the few exceptions.

russedav on December 26, 2015 at 2:55 PM

russedav on December 26, 2015 at 2:55 PM

Links to the actual article at Touchstone Magazine:

At http://www.drjudithreisman.com/, almost any article referencing the name “Kinsey” will do.
I had to look-up “Lysenkoist” … that one was new to me.
Speaking only for myself … I don’t believe Ted Cruz has capitulated on ‘government recognition of same-sex/gender marriage.’

listens2glenn on December 26, 2015 at 7:26 PM

STILL … waiting for Tlaloc…

listens2glenn on December 26, 2015 at 11:23 AM

Godot will likely arrive more quickly.

The Schaef on December 28, 2015 at 10:53 AM

I love Mike Pense, gov. of Indiana, but he was the one that put the PP amendment into the first Tea Party budget in 2010 and gave the media yet another thing besides gun control to bagder republicans with (right after Gabby Giffords was shot by the left wing lunatic)

And I remember thinking why is he derailing the whole budget over one sore thumb item. There should be NO money given to PP, but there are millions of other mispent dollars much bigger than the 3-500 million that Planned Parenthood takes. I thought Mike Pense squandered our moment to do something with the budget AND it set in motion the horrible CR funding, from point to point instead of ramming budgets thru like they have been done like it or not when it was a D or an R president. Obama has never had to sign a budget he didn’t like, because he has never had a proper budget, because he whines like a toddler and the media rush in an baby him. So he has never had to eat his peas.

Franklin is worked up over it because, like a sore thumb he has hit with a hammer most recently, it is bothering a lot of people, and also, the corruption of the organization tied to the organ buying industry. But blaming this on republicans, who cannot get the media to play those videos to the public, is kind of a tantrum unbecoming. Franklin should pay to put the videos into an ad campaign, so the rest of the American public knows what they are up to, not just inside baseball, us few pro lifers who look for these things on the internet. The public, you remeber did not know what CArly Fiorina was talking about at the debate, the media set out to show how she must be wrong, they did not show the videos.

Franklin will only make things worse discouraging republican voters, and is empowering the Christians who like bleeding heart crap in the government because it suits their world outlook.

Fleuries on December 28, 2015 at 3:06 PM

STILL … waiting for Tlaloc…
listens2glenn on December 26, 2015 at 11:23 AM

Godot will likely arrive more quickly.
The Schaef on December 28, 2015 at 10:53 AM

It is now 8:15 PM EST (Dec 28, 2015) . . . . . . .
. . . . . do you know where your ‘Tlaloc‘ is ?

listens2glenn on December 28, 2015 at 8:17 PM

Fleuries on December 28, 2015 at 3:06 PM

You used different words, but read my mind, for the most part.

What Franklin Graham, and ALL Evangelical Christian leaders should be doing, is telling everyone to STOP DONATING MONEY TO THE REPUBLICAN PARTY … and give directly to the candidate(s) of your choice, instead.

listens2glenn on December 28, 2015 at 8:41 PM