NYT: High Obamacare deductibles make mandated insurance practically useless

posted at 8:41 pm on November 17, 2015 by Kristina Ribali

PiggyBank

Remember the Affordable Care Act? The law that was supposed to lower the cost of health care by providing health insurance plans to the masses that were more affordable. That’s what we were promised, but the reality is that millions have seen their formally affordable premiums skyrocket, and now they’re also stuck with deductibles that are hard to swallow.

One man from New Jersey told the New York Times just how worthless his newly mandated plan has become.

“The deductible, $3,000 a year, makes it impossible to actually go to the doctor,” said David R. Reines, 60, of Jefferson Township, N.J., a former hardware salesman with chronic knee pain. “We have insurance, but can’t afford to use it.”

Deductibles in the thousands of dollars are not uncommon. In fact, “in many states, more than half the plans offered for sale through HealthCare.gov, the federal online marketplace, have a deductible of $3,000 or more.” Once you add in several hundred dollars per month for your plan premium, a rate that may or may not be lower than it used to be and add in a $3,000 or more deductible, the average individual could be paying over $5,000 out of pocket in a year before their “affordable” insurance kicks in. This is true for employer sponsored plans as well.

Just this past September, I wrote about the Kaiser Family Foundation study showing deductibles on employer sponsored plans rose by almost 9 percent.

How many American families who need to get insurance via Obamacare have the ability to absorb more than $3,000 or $5,000 into their yearly budget? In this economy, with fairly stagnant wages, and millions of Americans leaving the labor force, it’s doubtful that’s an easy cost to absorb for low income earners or even the middle class.

Kevin Fanning of Texas told the New York Times that “Basically I was paying for insurance I could not afford to use.” Fanning said that he and his wife “had a policy with a monthly premium of about $500 and an annual deductible of about $10,000 after taking account of financial assistance. Their income is about $32,000 a year.” That’s nearly one-third of their income just to get the insurance company to cover them if they actually need to seek care.

Unsurprisingly, Fanning dropped his plan.

But it gets even worse.

“Our deductible is so high, we practically pay for all of our medical expenses out of pocket,” said Wendy Kaplan, 50, of Evanston, Ill. “So our policy is really there for emergencies only, and basic wellness appointments.”

Her family of four pays premiums of $1,200 a month for coverage with an annual deductible of $12,700.

Twelve thousand, seven hundred dollars! Is that what this Administration considers affordable?

And let’s not forget, people are required to purchase this unaffordable insurance, or face a fine from the IRS.

Clarissa Morris, 47, has been a server at the Golden Corral here for five years, earning $2.13 an hour plus tips. On a typical day, she leaves the restaurant with about $70 in tips. Her husband makes $9 an hour at Walmart but has been offered only a part-time schedule there, without benefits. Their combined paychecks barely cover their rent and daily essentials.

“It’s either buy insurance or put food in the house,” she said.

A study in 2014 found that 56 million Americans under age 65 will have trouble paying their health care bills. A whopping 10 million Americans between the ages of 19 and 64 “will be unable to pay for basic necessities like rent, food, and heat due to their medical bills.”

Furthermore, “In 2013 over 20% of American adults were struggling to pay their medical bills, and three in five bankruptcies in 2014 will be due to medical bills.”

For millions of Americans, the insurance plans they are now required to purchase under Obamacare could potentially bankrupt them – forcing them to choose insurance or food, insurance or rent, insurance or heat during a cold winter. And if they don’t choose insurance, a hefty fine awaits as well.

It’s long past time for Congress to start rolling back these senseless government mandates on health care. Real solutions that put families back in charge of their health care costs and help the uninsured are already being pioneered in the states, but first the federal government needs to get out of the way.

Update (Ed), 11/18 12:33 pm: At Kristina’s request, I edited the post slightly to remove a reference to deductibles increasing $5,000 per person, which was an error in cross-referencing some of the data.

________________________________

Kristina Ribali is the Senior Coalitions Director for the Foundation for Government Accountability.  Follow her on Twitter for the latest on Obamacare or email her at [email protected]

Comments

“We have to pass the bill to see what’s in it.”

“What good is reading the bill if it’s a thousand pages and you don’t have two days and two lawyers to find out what it means after you read the bill?”

Flange on November 17, 2015 at 8:45 PM

Single payer will fix all. Except for healthcare itself which will get a lot worse.

bgibbs1000 on November 17, 2015 at 8:45 PM

Who could have imagined? Well, just about everyone not blinded by the blackness of BO.

Dr. Frank Enstine on November 17, 2015 at 8:46 PM

But he said ‘folks’ can get it for as little as $75.

I saw that policy. I think it had a 10k deductable.

Good luck selling that in the South Side. Even more luck getting them to pay the hospital when their $3,500 ER room visit for a bad case of flu lands in their mailbox.

No wonder the States are going broke.

Limerick on November 17, 2015 at 8:48 PM

Among the many improvements in health insurance prior to Obamacare was the ability to have a low deductible and have a mini plan. The mini plans did not have $750,000 of coverage, and so were shut down by Obamacare. It is the mandatory maximum, and the 10 mandated areas of coverage driving this idiotic insurance.

The Congress should let everyone buy catastrophic. Obama’s HHS secretary doles that privilege out to select groups, let everyone who wants that choose it. We don’t want maternity coverage and kiddie dental. And make women switch over and pay more when they are pregnant if they don’t already pay for a family plan. (A mother and a baby is a family, and the baby will need to be covered.)

Fleuries on November 17, 2015 at 8:48 PM

Y’all are gonna be pissed when deductibles, ah screw it.

Judge_Dredd on November 17, 2015 at 8:50 PM

But, you can keep your health plan, you can keep your doctor and you’ll save $2,500 a year.

bw222 on November 17, 2015 at 8:50 PM

Y’all are gonna be pissed when deductibles, ah screw it.

Judge_Dredd on November 17, 2015 at 8:50 PM

You will NEVAH get me to believe you are Tialoc.

Limerick on November 17, 2015 at 8:51 PM

As anyone could tell that actually read the bill.

No one, other than the insurance companies that wrote the bill and are raking in huge premiums, that read the bill and understood it supported it.

talkingpoints on November 17, 2015 at 8:51 PM

But he said ‘folks’ can get it for as little as $75.

Limerick on November 17, 2015 at 8:48 PM

A week???

Judge_Dredd on November 17, 2015 at 8:51 PM

You will NEVAH get me to believe you are Tialoc libfree.

Limerick on November 17, 2015 at 8:51 PM

Judge_Dredd on November 17, 2015 at 8:52 PM

So they pay $27,100 out of pocket before the insurance kicks in (between premiums and deductables). Nice. Very Affordable. OBama fails at domestic and foreign policy.

talkingpoints on November 17, 2015 at 8:54 PM

but first the federal government needs to get out of the way.

No! First King Barack and the Democratic Party NEED TO GET OUT OF THE WAY!

But then they’d have to admit that their plan sucked from the beginning.

AIN’T GONNA HAPPEN!

GarandFan on November 17, 2015 at 8:55 PM

Judge_Dredd on November 17, 2015 at 8:52 PM

Dang! I missed it again!

Limerick on November 17, 2015 at 8:55 PM

If millions of Ukrainians had to die slowly from starvation so that eggs could be cracked to make the glorious omelet of Communism, shouldn’t everyone go broke so Dear Leader’s health care plan can be a success?

emerson7 on November 17, 2015 at 8:57 PM

That was the whole point of BarryCare, Mr. Fanning.

You’re supposed to pay for benefits that you don’t get to use, because those benefits are intended to be for people who can’t afford them. Those who have basic common sense know it as “redistribution of wealth.”

Welcome to socialism. Enjoy.

Aizen on November 17, 2015 at 8:57 PM

Jonathan Gruber said, in 2009, that this would happen. His solution to control out-of-control costs? Deny treatment.

Health insurance without doctors! Bring on the Death Panels …

ShainS on November 17, 2015 at 8:58 PM

Gee, if only the elites could have foreseen what we low sloped foreheads in flyover country saw.

rbj on November 17, 2015 at 8:58 PM

You can get it for 75 a month if your a hobo. If you have career that pays money and have a family it’s going to cost upwards of 30K all in per year.

It’s a complete disaster for anyone other than the very few who it works for.

Texas T on November 17, 2015 at 8:59 PM

Sylvia Mathews Burwell, the secretary of health and human services, issued a report analyzing premiums in the 38 states that use HealthCare.gov. “Eight out of 10 returning consumers will be able to buy a plan with premiums less than $100 a month after tax credits,” she said.

Animal House: BJ

Pelosi Schmelosi on November 17, 2015 at 8:59 PM

…libfreeorgan might not…show up on this thread today!

JugEarsButtHurt on November 17, 2015 at 9:00 PM

Let people buy Medicaid for $50 a month. Yes, it’s crap. But it is insurance coverage, it will cover major health problems and generic drugs and most big medical centers, where you should go if you have serious health problems, take it. Then let the private sector work to find market based solutions for people that can afford something better.

talkingpoints on November 17, 2015 at 9:00 PM

Does this mean I’m not getting a pony?

myiq2xu on November 17, 2015 at 9:03 PM

My pre-Obamacare high deductible plan only cost $175/mo for a family of four.

That was worth it. It was risk rated and met my needs.

p0s3r on November 17, 2015 at 9:04 PM

Texas T on November 17, 2015 at 8:59 PM

How do I become a hobo?

Crap, I’m a white male rethuglican, guess I’m out of luck. If I could get pregnant…wait, that’d cost a million$ of surgery…hey, they’d cover that if I was an Army Deserter, right?

Wow, we live in strange times….

Who is John Galt on November 17, 2015 at 9:06 PM

But more people are on Medicare … and unicorns … you freaking racist idiots. You hate how badly the ACA screwed up the American Healthcare system because you hate obama you homophobes.

One percenters pay the bill!!! World Star, World Star!!!

hawkdriver on November 17, 2015 at 9:09 PM

Meh…..

WeedisBad

Electrongod on November 17, 2015 at 9:10 PM

hawkdriver on November 17, 2015 at 9:09 PM

Damn it isn’t even Friday and you auto-rotated in!

Limerick on November 17, 2015 at 9:11 PM

Wow, we live in strange times….

Who is John Galt on November 17, 2015 at 9:06 PM

Medicare will pay for the “gender reassignment” surgery first…then go on Medicaid…viola..!!

…strange times indeed…

Pelosi Schmelosi on November 17, 2015 at 9:12 PM

Meh…..

WeedisBad

Electrongod on November 17, 2015 at 9:10 PM

You don’t know how right you are.

From Drudge:

PARIS BOMBER POT HEAD…

Judge_Dredd on November 17, 2015 at 9:13 PM

Limerick on November 17, 2015 at 9:11 PM

I’m coasting to the holidays. :-)

hawkdriver on November 17, 2015 at 9:14 PM

Kristina is one of The 20 Hottest Conservative Women in 2015. There’s that.

faraway on November 17, 2015 at 9:16 PM

Lucky me. I live in Minnesota, so in 2016, my rates will go from $570 something a month with a $1800 deductible, to a $2000 deductible – and – just under ONE THOUSAND BUCKS A MONTH. No; I am not kidding.

So instead, I’m opting for a small bump up each month – and $6500 deductible!!

Fingers crossed I can make it to Medicare in the fall without outlandish medical costs.

Is this insane – or what?

pbundy on November 17, 2015 at 9:19 PM

Yep the Affordable care act aka Obamacare is quite the losing proposition. Just received the new cost for 2016 $593.00 p/mo for a silver plan in NJ. Worthless plan to boot. $6K deductible, copays $30 Dr visit. It’s $7K a year and don’t get sick. Think I’ll pay the penalty in 2016.
Last year the plan was $329 p/mo or $3900 p/yr almost double the coming year. Idiots in Congress and the idiot supreme court justice Roberts may they all get a bad case of the shingles!

woodhull on November 17, 2015 at 9:19 PM

woodhull on November 17, 2015 at 9:19 PM

…I think…they deserve The Clap! (no!…not golf clap…but the sexual clap!)

JugEarsButtHurt on November 17, 2015 at 9:26 PM

But he said ‘folks’ can get it for as little as $75.

Limerick on November 17, 2015 at 8:48 PM

A week???

Judge_Dredd on November 17, 2015 at 8:51 PM

A Day!!!

smokeyblonde on November 17, 2015 at 9:32 PM

My mid-range Silver Plan from BC/BS Texas went from $492 to $591 a month, starting in January. I opted for the low level Silver, which keeps the prescription co-pay but drops the one for doctor’s visits — I come out ahead if I avoid visiting the doctor more than four times per year, but my out-of-pocket expense for 2016 is still in the $8,200 range with no other medial needs.

The Bronze plans are total crap — highest level one from BC/BSTX was a three percent hike from the Silver Plan I had last year, and with no co-pays. So once you threw in the prescription costs at full price, it was worse for me than going with the full premium hike (you might be able to avoid the visits to the doctor. You can’t avoid the visits to the pharmacy).

This only makes sense if it was both designed to fail from the start, and to make people demand the government solve the problem through single-payer. Which is probably what the Democrats thought they were going to be able to run on in 2016 — demonizing the insurance companies and calling for a full government takeover of health care. But the 2013 disaster that was the rollout of healthcare.gov blew up that strategy, because only the most die-hard progressive believes the feds can do a good job running the health care system when they couldn’t get a website functioning for a year, and with three years advance notice.

jon1979 on November 17, 2015 at 9:34 PM

Healthcare has been fundamentally transformed from something most people could afford to pay for and use to something that all people must pay for but are not able to use. And if you suggest changing it back to the way it used to be, you’ll be accused of wanting to take health care away from people.

dkmonroe on November 17, 2015 at 9:34 PM

Samaritan Ministers Christian health care sharing. Exempt from ACA. $360 TOTAL mo. wife and I. We cover first 300 of medical event and all preventative care, they cover rest.

hillsoftx on November 17, 2015 at 9:38 PM

dkmonroe on November 17, 2015 at 9:34 PM

It is the absolute perfect sales pitch.

“I’ll sell you anything that I don’t have to deliver.”

“Um…ok….I’ll take two!”

Limerick on November 17, 2015 at 9:39 PM

I was very upset that hubby’s and my insurance went up to just under $1,500/mo with high deductibles. (We have never met the deductible). In 2009, we had two kids on the policy and it was around $500/mo. So, it tripled but only covers two of us now. We are self-employed. We have no health issues and are on no medications. As I said, I was very upset until hubby told me his partner and his wife are paying $2,000/mo. WTH

It feels like we are being extorted by our own government.

Fallon on November 17, 2015 at 9:43 PM

Again,there will be more uninsured than before this thing started.The government collects fines and insurance companies rake in premiums and pay out very little.

docflash on November 17, 2015 at 9:46 PM

It feels like we are being extorted by our own government.

Fallon on November 17, 2015 at 9:43 PM

You are.

Limerick on November 17, 2015 at 9:46 PM

I just came from the hospital with my wife. Got to talking with the ER doc and he was asking if there was any work at my wife’s job.

He was complaining about the electronic medical records (EMR) and how they have a two whole floors just for training on it. He was saying, that for a small hospital it cost $100 million just for the certified equipment, not including annual upkeep. And for INOVA I’m sure it is much more. It seemed to him that they were trying to find ways to hit them on noncompliance. He said that the governments thing now is how fast they are being seen by an actual DR and not just the intake person. He said that one hospital was putting a DR at the check-in desk and shaking their hand, thereby cutting their 45 minute time down to 3 minutes.

He also brought up the difference in billing between old and young people. It seems as though when older patients are categorized under a different heading; observation. I cant’ remember all the details, but it turns out that a visit that would cost a normal person a couple hundred dollars maybe, ends up costing the senior thousands. He said he had one guy walk out because he couldn’t afford to stay and ended up back there cardiac arrest.

His father left medical practice because of the new EMR mandate. Which he said actually makes it slower in giving care, not faster.

Patriot Vet on November 17, 2015 at 9:48 PM

Our current premiums are over $1,100. Deductible is $11,600. The kids “free” annual checkup cost us more than our pre Obamacare checkups. Our old insurance covered everything and the doctor waived the copay since we’re long time patients. Our new, improved policy, none of the lab work was covered-over $100. We’re looking at insurance for next year and premiums and deductibles are up even more.

hopeful on November 17, 2015 at 9:53 PM

Hillary: “I will work with the lawyers to sue all the drug companies to pay for all the lawyers I’m using to sue all the hospitals, then I’ll EO that everyone not get sick”

Dem conventioneers: “APPLAUSE”

Limerick on November 17, 2015 at 9:54 PM

It feels like we are being extorted by our own government.

Fallon on November 17, 2015 at 9:43 PM

It’s not great for anyone but I think us self-employed are getting the worst of it.

hopeful on November 17, 2015 at 9:59 PM

Germany has a mixed public and private system, with about half on the government plan and half on private insurance. They seem to like it and nobody is going broke. Why not just copy that?

kd6rxl on November 17, 2015 at 10:06 PM

I’ve said this many times: If you give a poor person a health insurance policy with a $5,000 deductible, you haven’t given a poor person a health insurance policy.

Occams Stubble on November 17, 2015 at 10:07 PM

It is almost comical these days. I have to keep my job to have insurance which is about $750 (my portion for me and spouse) a month with a $4000 deductible but these days the deductible has to be paid before they pay anything so I basically have no insurance until my physical systems start shutting down. Just three years ago I at least had $30 co-pays for doctor visits but now it’s 80/20 after I meet the $4k deductible which will never happen.

I can afford it so I’m enjoying watching all the liberals who supported it whine and trash their credit while they go broke.

Obamacare, you can’t live with it and they won’t let you live without it!

tej on November 17, 2015 at 10:21 PM

kd6rxl on November 17, 2015 at 10:06 PM

GDP and population wise Germany is equal to about 4 US states. What works for the entire country of Germany might not work for the entire United States.

Think of it another way: Instead of forcing a “German” style health insurance system on the entire US, how about trying it at a state level first, and see what happens. That’s how our country was designed to work. It’s called federalism. It’s common sense.

Unfortunately power hungry control freaks and ideologues (also known as Leftists) think things are done best at the federal level. That’s one of the reasons why we’re 65 trillion in debt (including liabilities).

visions on November 17, 2015 at 10:37 PM

When premiums decline y’all are going to be pissed!
libfreeordie on May 7, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Schadenfreude on November 17, 2015 at 10:48 PM

But these Obamacare posts are about whistling past the graveyard, by next Novemeber Democrats will be openly running on the ACA. Mark my words.
libfreeordie on December 20, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Schadenfreude on November 17, 2015 at 10:48 PM

Yeah, but who could have opposed it, but racists!

Axeman on November 17, 2015 at 10:54 PM

Does this mean I’m not getting a pony?

myiq2xu on November 17, 2015 at 9:03 PM

No, actually we’re the ones being ridden.
‘Deliverance’ style.
With the Federal government twisting our ear.
“Wheeeeeeee!!”

orangemtl on November 17, 2015 at 11:10 PM

I thought people could afford to be poets and painters, without concerns about health care coverage!

You know there ought to be something we can do to Congress when they stand up before the American people and just LIE for their political agenda like that. Telling something that is not true or slightly deceptive, I don’t care about, but selling it like a product when you don’t have A CLUE!!

Axeman on November 17, 2015 at 11:23 PM

If you do the math, you’ll probably find the fine/penalty/tax for not having insurance isn’t much of a threat. You are exempt from the penalty if your lowest available “bronze” premium is more than 8% of your income (MAGI). This can mean that to “qualify” for the penalty, your household income just might have to be in the low 6-figure range.

Yup, the middle class gets bent over the rail once again.

DaveK on November 17, 2015 at 11:28 PM

Everyone is starting to get it, but Democrats were right the longer it goes on the harder it is to just get rid of it.

There are now adults who have grown up with the idea government has a place in our healthcare. I don’t know where we go from here, but I hope whatever is next we get agreement of the majority at least.

That across state lines thing got us this year, we had to pay $500 extra for our daughter (21) who is fully insured in Washington State to spend a few months at school in Idaho, because our insurance only covered her for emergencies there. Why, when she went to a doctor here before she left, did she need anything other than emergency insurance, but we still had to cough up $500 dollars for nothing.

The rules and requirements are just nonsensical.

petunia on November 17, 2015 at 11:55 PM

We had a catastrophic illness in our family. While it covered the massive bill at the hospital, we still had to pay a LOT of money to meet the deductible, and we’re now in debt up to our eyeballs and still paying huge monthly fees.

We should be able to get CATASTROPHIC insurance ONLY. Logically, it would be less expensive, since they’re not paying for every little doctor visit and prescription you get. And it would be worth having when the worst happens.

Unfortunately, the federal government is mandating what is covered. That should be clearly unconstitutional.

The Rogue Tomato on November 18, 2015 at 12:23 AM

All they really need to do is to make catastrophic insurance an option again … that would tear down the entire house of cards as people are now getting used to actually paying medical bills out of pocket. There is no reason that for simple things OOP should be the way to go with insurance there for the catastrophic issues – legit ER visits, cancers, etc.

smokeyblonde on November 18, 2015 at 12:47 AM

And get rid of all restrictions so health insurance is like auto insurance … portable across state lines and outside of the realm of whom one is employed by.

smokeyblonde on November 18, 2015 at 12:48 AM

Glad others are finally noticing.

Heck with most of these plans you’d be much better off just paying for routine care out of pocket.

But then there’s the fines, which forces you to pay for bad insurance. Paying for the bad insurance then makes it where you can no longer afford to pay for routine care out of pocket even if you wanted to.

It’s almost like they’re intentionally keeping you from having anything but catastrophic healthcare. And even that will still bankrupt you.

I guess this is Obama’s way of intentionally doing to individual Americans and families, the same thing he’s intentionally doing to the country and the world.

Oxymoron on November 18, 2015 at 1:33 AM

Wahhhh!

“I have to pay for stuff I want!”

Stop hating obama because he’s black!

crash72 on November 18, 2015 at 6:38 AM

Wife and I are pre-Medicare, but retired. Our current Silver plan has $4K deductible with a premium of $1438/month. No, we don’t qualify for a handout from the government and are paying this ourselves from our retirement funds.

DanielObrien42 on November 18, 2015 at 7:02 AM

Ahem. My best Gomer Pyle: Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!

NotCoach on November 18, 2015 at 7:50 AM

This garbage was passed for only one reason . . . to give free health insurance to the parasitic underclass. The rest of the productive people can pay for them and go to hell. The blame falls directly on the shoulders of the voters who elected these liberal socialist bums.

rplat on November 18, 2015 at 7:51 AM

While I agree it’s unjust to require people to buy a product they don’t want, this article seriously misunderstands high deductible health plans and their benefits.

These plans are not designed to pay everyday health care expenses, they are designed to protect against catastrophic loss. That is, they are insurance, not a kind of credit card.

They are in fact a form of

Real solutions that put families back in charge of their health care costs

that the article is seeking. The idea being that people will shop around for health care when they actually have to pay out of pocket for the service. High deductible health plans are a conservative invention to provide a market-based solution to high health care costs.

I have one of these plans and it is a fantastic deal given the lower premiums and the ability to contribute to an HSA. For a person with relatively low health care costs or, oddly, extremely high costs so that you meet the annual out of pocket maximum regularly, HDHPs are often better than traditional plans.

Some of the people quoted in this article seem not to understand their plans. For example

coverage with an annual deductible of $12,700.

$12,700 is the maximum legally permitted out of pocket maximum for a family plan. I seriously doubt that it is the “deductible”.

Again, it’s horrible that people are forced to buy these things if they don’t want them. However, HDHPs provide a legitimate conservative solution to rising health care costs and they have their merits.

GeorgeStanton on November 18, 2015 at 8:00 AM

GeorgeStanton on November 18, 2015 at 8:00 AM

The problem is that with the bloated requirements of what must be covered these are no longer your grandpappy’s high deductible plans. High deductible plans used to trade that high deductible for lower premiums coupled with minimum coverage. No more. Now you must be covered for everything imaginable, and premiums are off the charts along with the deductibles.

NotCoach on November 18, 2015 at 8:04 AM

so who was the 50+% that voted for obummer twice

don’t blame oklahoma he didn’t carry any county both elections didn”t waist money on exchanges.

telephone2 on November 18, 2015 at 8:07 AM

High Obamacare deductibles make mandated insurance practically useless.

Having your health insurance be useful obviously wasn’t a priority, huh?

GrumpyOldFart on November 18, 2015 at 8:38 AM

Enjoy the suck.

ChowHound on November 18, 2015 at 9:02 AM

Will Obamacare be repealed or won’t it? Will Congress fund it or won’t it? Will the web site be fixed or not? Blah, blah, blah. We the people just need to do what we need to do and Democrats be damned. Resist. Refuse. Revolt. EXEMPT OURSELVES! We did not comply with Prohibition and we simply should not comply with Obamacare. For religious reasons. For privacy reasons. For the cause of liberty and freedom and in protest of the idea that the federal government (under one party rule, no less), can force private citizens to purchase anything with our own money. Are we citizens or subjects? Mice or (wo)men? Just say NO to socialism and to the corrupt, unionized, far left IRS: the gestapo of America’s political class. Afraid of arrest? not to worry! After all, the federal government ignores millions of illegals who are breaking U.S. immigration law every day. Our Founders pledged their lives, their fortunes and their sacred honor. All we have to do is just say no to a scheme we all know is un-American and a violation of our most basic founding fundamentals of privacy, self reliance, limited government and individual freedom.

devan95 on November 18, 2015 at 10:04 AM

“In many states, more than half the plans offered for sale through HealthCare.gov, the federal online marketplace, have a deductible of $3,000 or more, a New York Times review has found.

“We could not afford the deductible,” said Kevin Fanning, 59, who lives in North Texas, near Wichita Falls. “Basically I was paying for insurance I could not afford to use.”

He dropped his policy.”

Health insurance does not equal health care. And that is why this obamanation is cratering in state exchange after state exchange; it’s not affordable, offers precious little choice, comes with IRS fines, and lots n lots of lies from its namesake.

How’s that hopey changey working out for you?

locomotivebreath1901 on November 18, 2015 at 10:49 AM

Outside of the extreme premiums for the insurance this is how insurance is supposed to work.
You should already have a minimal amount of savings to take care of emergencies, and have have catastrophic illness coverage which would be much less expensive.
What we have today is pre-paid all inclusive 5 star medical coverage with a deductible. So you pay the exorbitant monthly fees, a huge catastrophic level deductible, get your wellness exams covered, and practically nothing else.

Constitutionalist on November 18, 2015 at 11:28 AM

GeorgeStanton on November 18, 2015 at 8:00 AM

Hate to break it to you but the deductibles ar that high. I can only speak as a self-employed but I’m researching insurance right now. Go to any insurance company website and look up policies for independent insurance.

It’s probably irrelevent anyway as I suspect any deductible over 3 or thousand will really hurt the typical family.

BTW catasrophic policies like this used to go for a small percentage of the $1,100-1,300/month premiums they cost now.

hopeful on November 18, 2015 at 12:04 PM