Video: Asked who the “standout” candidate in the GOP field is, Palin names Trump

posted at 8:01 pm on November 16, 2015 by Allahpundit

Skip to 6:00. I’m really surprised. Not that she’s favorable to Trump — they’ve been populist allies for awhile now — but that she’d make a clear choice when prompted. After all, her other ally, Ted Cruz, is not only also in the race but trying to make his move right now. She and Cruz are easily the two most popular politicians of the tea-party era among grassroots conservatives, I think; Palin campaigned for Cruz during the 2012 Senate primary and they campaigned together in September against the Iran deal (along with Trump) in Washington. At worst you’d expect her to say that she likes both candidates, that they’re dynamic speakers, strong on immigration, intent on bringing down the Washington cartel, and so forth. Nope. She doesn’t hesitate when asked who the “standout” in the field is (which is distinct from an endorsement, I guess?) and actually goes so far as to say that what she likes about Trump is that “He doesn’t have to be bought or sold, obviously, especially when it comes to contributions. He is his own man.” That’s a Trump attack in the making against Cruz, who does depend on donations from rich conservative benefactors to make him competitive with the other top-tier candidates. Until now, I’ve assumed that populist heroes like Palin and the right’s talk-radio stars were willing to defend the populist Trump unless and until a Cruz surge in the polls forced them to choose between the two, at which point they’d choose Cruz on principle. If you want a populist conservative in charge, better to elect the populist who’s actually conservative than the one who isn’t, right? Now I don’t know. If we end up with a showdown between Trump and Cruz for the nomination, are Rush, Sean, etc going to remain neutral between the two? Will they actually quasi-endorse Trump by calling him, not Cruz, the “standout” in the race? For most righties, that choice is a no-brainer, I think. (I hope?)

Elsewhere here, at 2:35, Palin says that Katie Couric’s famous question about what she likes to read was “fair” and that she gave a “crappy” answer.

Comments

This is disapointing. Trump and Cruise I could understand. But just Trump? I guess she doesn’t respect Cruise fighting the fight. Just wants campaign rhetoric.

KMav on November 17, 2015 at 3:46 PM

KMav on November 17, 2015 at 3:46 PM

She doesn’t respect Cruise because he’s a Scientologist. :P

Buttercup on November 17, 2015 at 3:50 PM

Palin is a sad figure, in my eyes.

She wasted a YUGE opportunity to make a difference, to instead become a reality star. She has turned her back on the “Tea Party” movement and been used by her “people” as a weapon against certain conservatives.

Its well known that she has destroyed relationships with some pretty big named conservatarians for reasons that can only be described as her being easily manipulated probably because of an inflated ego.

This is about what id expect from her. Cozy up to the TV star. Maybe Trump will help her stay famous.

Im not sure Palin even really cares about anything but her image. She sure hasnt grown as a thinker in 7 years.

Palin sold her soul for a bit of fame…..and it shows.

alecj on November 17, 2015 at 3:51 PM

So Palin is admitting that she was bought & sold while she was a politician…?

itsnotaboutme on November 17, 2015 at 4:09 PM

Too bad multitudes of Republicans are not as logical as you are, AP.

Cruz is actually a conservative.
Trump is left of Obama on some issues.

Cruz has a track record of fighting for conservatism.
Trump has a track record of donating to & palling around with leftist politicians.

(Did you see the Palin mini-quote there?)

itsnotaboutme on November 17, 2015 at 4:15 PM

I much prefer Ted Cruz but once again Sarah is correct, Trump is nothing if not standing out from the other candidates at this time.

RJL on November 17, 2015 at 4:31 PM

She doesn’t respect Cruise because he’s a Scientologist. :P

Buttercup on November 17, 2015 at 3:50 PM

Thanks for the democrat talking point lie, Moby. Cruz is a baptist.

V7_Sport on November 17, 2015 at 4:36 PM

The stand out candidate is Trump.

Palin is right again.

SpongePuppy on November 17, 2015 at 4:47 PM

itsnotaboutme on November 17, 2015 at 4:09 PM

Nope. That’s not what that sentence means.

SpongePuppy on November 17, 2015 at 4:48 PM

She doesn’t respect Cruise because he’s a Scientologist. :P

Buttercup on November 17, 2015 at 3:50 PM

Thanks for the democrat talking point lie, Moby. Cruz is a baptist.

V7_Shoe on November 17, 2015 at 4:36 PM

Double facepalm…

Judge_Dredd on November 17, 2015 at 4:58 PM

I’m getting to the point that if it’s NOT Trump I’ll stay home.

Judge_Dredd on November 16, 2015 at 10:18 PM

I can just imagine you in your white socks, aiming at your toes when a cat sneaks up and licks your ear

*BAM*

DarkCurrent on November 17, 2015 at 5:00 PM

Double facepalm…

Judge_Dredd on November 17, 2015 at 4:58 PM

Gee, that’s a facepalm for each of your user names.

V7_Sport on November 17, 2015 at 5:00 PM

The bullet would probably hit something greasy and flammable in that dump and the whole place would go up in flames before you were able to limp out…

DarkCurrent on November 17, 2015 at 5:02 PM

Gee, that’s a facepalm for each of your user names.

V7_Sport on November 17, 2015 at 5:00 PM

I’ve heard there are more than two, but trustworthy friends don’t tell about stuff like that…

DarkCurrent on November 17, 2015 at 5:04 PM

She doesn’t respect Cruise because he’s a Scientologist. :P

Buttercup on November 17, 2015 at 3:50 PM

Thanks for the democrat talking point lie, Moby. Cruz is a baptist.

V7_Shoe on November 17, 2015 at 4:36 PM

Double facepalm…

Judge_Dredd on November 17, 2015 at 4:58 PM

Heh. And shoe just showed why he routinely mocked.

davidk on November 17, 2015 at 5:06 PM

he is

davidk on November 17, 2015 at 5:09 PM

I can remember when Palin thread would bring 700-1000 comments.

davidk on November 17, 2015 at 5:22 PM

Split up for mods…

Heh. And shoe just showed why he routinely mocked.

davidk on November 17, 2015 at 5:06 PM

So there is no whispering campaign to call Cruz a scientologist?

More dishonesty- Cruz keeps claiming to be a born again Christian when he’s actually a secret Scientologist.
Like · Reply · 5 · Apr 10, 2015 4:51pm

Aside from being Canadian, Ted Cruz is also a secret Scientologist.

V7_Sport on November 17, 2015 at 5:26 PM

Palin sold her soul for a bit of fame…..and it shows.

alecj on November 17, 2015 at 3:51 PM

under what rock did a filthy troll like you crawl out from under.

have never seen you here before.

go back to huffpoo turd.

renalin on November 17, 2015 at 5:31 PM

So there is no whispering campaign to call Cruz a scientologist?

Cruz? No.

Cruise? No need to whisper.

(Re-read the posts.)

davidk on November 17, 2015 at 5:39 PM

Come on, baby needs a new pair of V7_Shoes!

Judge_Dredd on November 17, 2015 at 5:41 PM

So there is no whispering campaign to call Cruz a scientologist?

V7_Sport on November 17, 2015 at 5:26 PM

Only from you. Congratulations!
Can’t believe I have to explain it but I was joking at the expense of Kmav who referred to candidate Cruise.
Nobody named “Cruise” is running for President and in a skirmish with Rubio. Only you would need this explained to them.

Buttercup on November 17, 2015 at 5:42 PM

No where in this article do they suggest that Cruz is a scientologist.

davidk on November 17, 2015 at 5:45 PM

No where in this article do they suggest that Cruz is a scientologist.

davidk on November 17, 2015 at 5:46 PM

Aside from being Canadian, Ted Cruz is also a secret Scientologist.

No where in this article/video:

Video: One-on-One Interview With Ted Cruz

by Jay Root and Todd Wiseman

is it suggested that Cruz is a scientologist.

The statement that shoe references comes from an anonymous commenter. Another anonymous commenter makes the same charge.

davidk on November 17, 2015 at 5:51 PM

Cruz? No.

Cruise? No need to whisper.

(Re-read the posts.)

davidk on November 17, 2015 at 5:39 PM

Just going down the google list:
RealityCzech May 1, 2013
Is America ready for a Scientologist president?

Potlemac03/29/15 09:43 AM
Is Ted Cruz still a Scientologist?

If Buttercup was being facetious than my apologies, but there are are accounts spreading this.

V7_Sport on November 17, 2015 at 5:51 PM

but there are are accounts spreading this.

V7_Sport on November 17, 2015 at 5:51 PM

Yeah. Spread by doofii such as you. Kinda like Shannon Breitweiser being mentioned as Vice-Presidential material. Who?

Judge_Dredd on November 17, 2015 at 5:55 PM

Dangit! Forgot the “Shoe”.

Judge_Dredd on November 17, 2015 at 5:56 PM

No where in this article is it suggested that Ted Cruz is a scientologist.

Note that the URL seems to make the claim the Hubbard was actually a TEA Party member.

Obviously the TEA Party started well after Hubbard assumed room temperature. And the article’s tit;e is less disingenuous:

L. Ron Hubbard: The First Tea Partier?

davidk on November 17, 2015 at 5:57 PM

davidk on November 17, 2015 at 5:51 PM

Hence the term “whispering campaign”. A coordinated effort to promote a falsehood or a meme that is adopted by the easily lead and gullible. Sort of like the whole “shoe” thing.
Good thing you are too smart to fall for any of this.

V7_Sport on November 17, 2015 at 5:57 PM

Sort of like the whole “shoe” thing.
Good thing you are too smart to fall for any of this.

V7_Shoe on November 17, 2015 at 5:57 PM

Settle down, Russ. It’s said with love.

Judge_Dredd on November 17, 2015 at 5:59 PM

Judge_Dredd on November 17, 2015 at 5:55 PM

Dangit! Forgot the “Shoe”.

Judge_Dredd on November 17, 2015 at 5:56 PM

Seeing as I am supporting Ted Cruz you don’t make any sense twice over, admitted sockpuppetr. What is your other user name, the one you admitted to having?

V7_Sport on November 17, 2015 at 5:59 PM

I am not a sockpuppet, Shoe.

Judge_Dredd on November 17, 2015 at 6:00 PM

Settle down, Russ. It’s said with love.

Judge_Dredd on November 17, 2015 at 5:59 PM

I’m feeling the love all over. Not “Russ” BTW…

V7_Sport on November 17, 2015 at 6:01 PM

This article shoe cites:

Like · Reply · 5 · Apr 10, 2015 4:51pm

is from Forward Progressives: http://www.forwardprogressives.com/ted-cruz-upset-people-pointing-out-lies/ .

There is a video which I do not care to watch, but no where in the article is it suggested that Cruz is a scientologist.

davidk on November 17, 2015 at 6:02 PM

I’m feeling the love all over. Not “Russ” BTW…

V7_Shoe on November 17, 2015 at 6:01 PM

It’s an oft-repeated line from a series of movies, Shoe.

Judge_Dredd on November 17, 2015 at 6:03 PM

Good thing you are too smart to fall for any of this.

V7_Sport on November 17, 2015 at 5:57 PM

I roam far and wide on the ‘net. This is the first time I’ve heard “Cruz” and “scientology” used in the same sentnce. Whisper indeed.

And when we call you “shoe,” we aren’t whispering.

davidk on November 17, 2015 at 6:05 PM

Jeezus this is getting stupid.

Buckshot Bill on November 17, 2015 at 6:10 PM

I do admit that I do not frequent many progressive sites.

davidk on November 17, 2015 at 6:10 PM

Jeezus this is getting stupid.

Buckshot Bill on November 17, 2015 at 6:10 PM

Then you’ll fit right in.

davidk on November 17, 2015 at 6:11 PM

but no where in the article is it suggested that Cruz is a scientologist.

Why are you not getting this? I have seen this before in other comment sections. The Mobys and trolls are trying to call Cruz a scientologist or a “closet scientologist” to hopefully split off the religious right. Here from the same source:

I’m waiting to hear from the Religious Right once it’s revealed that Ted Cruz is a secret Scientologist.

How much is the Church of Scientology contributing to Cruz’s campaign?

I wish “Going Clear” would have looked into Texas Sen. Ted Cruz’s association with the Church of Scientology. It scares me that a Scientologist has such influence in Washington and may one day be President.

Cruz is also very good at hiding his association with the Church of Scientology.

The Church of Scientology will have a frightening amount of influence over the federal government if Ted Cruz is elected president.

I wonder if people would vote for a Scientologist for president. Despite pandering to the Christian vote, Ted Cruz is actually a Scientologist.

V7_Sport on November 17, 2015 at 6:15 PM

davidk on November 17, 2015 at 6:05 PM

There’s a dozen quotes. I first saw this on Breitbart months ago.

And when we call you “shoe,” we aren’t whispering.

No, you are hopping on a bandwagon and using a term that if you were in the USN you wouldn’t because it’s being used wrong and if you were not you are simply regurgitating something from a creepy sick puppy with a humiliation fetish.

V7_Sport on November 17, 2015 at 6:24 PM

V7_Sport on November 17, 2015 at 6:15 PM

Fer gawd’s sake man! I’ve never heard anyone ever, eeevvveeerrr try to tie Cruz to scientology. And who even cares if he was? Of all the things to have an issue with, that’s the least important thing. Lordy. You misread an obvious (and funny) joke, then keep dragging the stupidity out over and over and over….

So, to get back on topic, what are the realistic odds that Trump will announce Palin as his Sec of Energy or Interior?

Buckshot Bill on November 17, 2015 at 6:29 PM

V7_Sport on November 17, 2015 at 6:24 PM

So what? blink has his head screwed on straight. You’ve always been a little bit on the loon side. Not nearly as objectionable as Meredith or joana, but slightly irritating nonetheless. Lo, for all these many years. You simply do not argue your position without stirring negative emotions in others. Don’t sweat it. Most people can’t stand my loud mouth in real life. Fukc ’em.

Judge_Dredd on November 17, 2015 at 6:31 PM

It’s an oft-repeated line from a series of movies, Shoe.

Judge_Dredd on November 17, 2015 at 6:03 PM

Aaaaah. Almost rather be shoe.

V7_Sport on November 17, 2015 at 6:31 PM

There were 4 Russes. Not just Anthony Michael.

Judge_Dredd on November 17, 2015 at 6:34 PM

Buckshot Bill on November 17, 2015 at 6:29 PM

Yay, a new character.

And who even cares if he was?

Lots of people in his base would, if it were true, which it isn’t, which was the whole point.

Lordy.

Bring it back, you are overselling it.

V7_Sport on November 17, 2015 at 6:36 PM

Judge_Dredd on November 17, 2015 at 6:31 PM

So what? blink has his head screwed on straight.

He, seriously does not.

You’ve always been a little bit on the loon side.

That wounds me. :-)

That’s just the thing, when you are confronted with an opinion that differs from what you want to believe it isn’t necessarily crazy.

It’s a fair criticism.

Don’t sweat it. Most people can’t stand my loud mouth in real life. Fukc ’em.

Now you’re talking.

V7_Sport on November 17, 2015 at 6:43 PM

Don’t sweat it. Most people can’t stand my loud mouth in real life. Fukc ’em.

Now you’re talking.

V7_Shoe on November 17, 2015 at 6:43 PM

Yes, but here, Shoe, everybody likes me. Even if I were somebody else. Everybody that’s worth talking to anyway. Everybody here does not like you. That’s just the reality of the situation. If I can be liked on a web page but thought of as abrasive in real life, what does that say abt you? But before you go postal, or try putting a pill in your head, you’re not nearly as bad as Meredick or joe-hanna. What do you bet those two broads don’t have a man? I mean, they’re worse than brain-dead democrat females.

Judge_Dredd on November 17, 2015 at 6:55 PM

I appreciate Palin’s perspectives and opinions. She’s been right about almost everything she said would happen about Obama getting elected. She was right about Putin. She was right about Inflation. She was right about quatative easing.

I don’t have to agree with her on Trump. I think Cruz is a better choice. But she supports Cruz. Heck, she really helped him get elected.

I keep hearing how this woman’s opinion doesn’t matter, and then the same people crap their pants and drool anytime she gives an opinion. It obviously matters.

portlandon on November 17, 2015 at 6:56 PM

Buckshot Bill on November 17, 2015 at 6:29 PM

Interior would be my choice. I believe she would do a fine job and make us all proud.

otlset on November 17, 2015 at 7:14 PM

Judge_Dredd on November 17, 2015 at 6:55 PM

Yes, but here, Shoe, everybody likes me.

Meh. :-)

Even if I were somebody else.

So the other name is beloved?

Everybody here does not like you.

It’s obviously not a priority. Seriously, If it was vital to be liked, here or anywhere else I would just tell people what they want to hear. Hopping on the latest bandwagon and hopping off of it in time with the rest and reminding people how clever they are for feeling what they feel.
People don’t want to hear that they have a responsibility to the country above and beyond voting for instance, They don’t want to hear that they can have an effect on the political process. Should I agree to be popular? There are people here who insist that the country is finished and we should just let it burn, nothing conservative about that, but should I go along to get along?

It should tell you that my alliance is to my inner compass, my principles. Not to the ones and zeros that someone else posts on a server in Allahpundits closet next to his furry costumes that will exist until he trips over the chord.
That inner compass is what makes me a conservative, if I wanted just to be “popular” I would have chosen an easier belief system that didn’t focus on individuality or personal responsibility.
I realize that’s not an excuse to be obnoxious, but I gve as I get.

There’s always that.

V7_Sport on November 17, 2015 at 7:22 PM

This is not really a conservative idea, but here goes anyway.

President Trump can create a new Federal Department, and name Palin it’s first Secretary.

The Dept of Media Integrity and Discipline.

The Honorable Governor Sarah H. Palin, Secretary.

Brian1972 on November 17, 2015 at 7:22 PM

There’s always that.

V7_Shoe on November 17, 2015 at 7:22 PM

Well, I am here talking to you. So you can’t be that bad. And for the record, when I call you Shoe, Shoe, I’m thinking of the comic strip with the buzzard, not the USN. I would have been a fly-boy but for two minor in possessions when I was younger. Never a squid. Too many months at sea with nary a skirt to chase.

Judge_Dredd on November 17, 2015 at 7:34 PM

Interesting..as I scan the comments, I don’t see as many different posters as the ‘Palin’ threads used to bring

Nobody and I mean nobody outside the little Palin world knows her name anymore

Redford on November 17, 2015 at 8:12 PM

I had not heard the scientology smear on Cruz. I don’t care myself, although, of course, evangelicals do care. Democrat operatives invent smears out of thin air; they did a number on Santorum as well.

cimbri on November 17, 2015 at 10:32 PM

Nobody and I mean nobody outside the little Palin world knows her name anymore

Redford on November 17, 2015 at 8:12 PM

But the thread still brought out posters like you who just can’t pass up an opportunity to snark on her.

Interesting how those like you who keep telling everyone she is insignificant, a loser, a nobody STILL think it necessary to waste their time repeating that. Given that she holds not office and isn’t running for any it is time for you to stop letting her live rent free in your head.

As for the complainers who accuse her of selling out because she didn’t dismiss Trump as the buffoon you think he is, did she trash talk about Cruz? Did she endorse either guy? Did you agree with all her previous endorsements or did you criticize her for some of them? Since she is so “insignificant” who she likes shouldn’t matter.

katiejane on November 18, 2015 at 9:47 AM