SeaWorld is ending their killer whale shows

posted at 6:41 pm on November 9, 2015 by Jazz Shaw

Via Mashable I saw that SeaWorld made a rather unexpected announcement today. They’re going to put an end to their live killer whale shows at their parks. This was no doubt in response to the relentless pressure they’ve been under ever since CNN released their documentary, Blackfish. (San Diego Union Tribune)

SeaWorld intends to phase out its longstanding killer whale show at its San Diego park next year as part of a comprehensive strategy unveiled Monday to re-position the embattled company amid persistent criticisms of how it treats its orcas.

In its place would be a new orca experience debuting in 2017, described as “informative” and designed to take place in a more natural setting that would carry a “conservation message inspiring people to act.” The announcement is contained in a company document posted online in advance of a webcast this morning in which SeaWorld Entertainment CEO Joel Manby and other senior executives will unveil their vision for the company and its collection of 11 parks.

The company is replacing some of the space allotted for a previously planned Orca cage expansion with a new resort hotel chain in partnership with Evans Hotels. What the new “informative Orca experience” is going to be they’re not saying, but I assume it’s not having the killer whales jumping over sticks in a pool and splashing tourists.

Frankly, I’m glad to see the shows go. This may sound out of character for me since I’m not a believer in “animal rights” on the same level as human rights, but I also don’t like to see animals – particularly the really smart ones – being abused for no reason. I feel the same way about big cats and other predators being kept in zoos. I don’t even go to the zoo any more because it’s just too sad to see them sitting there, penned up, bored and miserable looking. If SeaWorld was gathering up these Orcas to sell whale steaks that would be one thing, but this just seems like torture to me. I’ve been to see the killer whales and they just seem… there’s no other way to put it. Those beasts are smart. They have a language like dolphins and large whales. They show a lot of emotion. And they are just too damn large to pen up in the equivalent of a puddle when they were clearly built to be out there roaming over thousands of miles of oceans.

They’re also fairly ornery creatures with a bit of a temper. They’ve killed or maimed more than one handler already. This apparently still managed to come as a surprise to some of the park management even though they were sending their handlers in to swim with something named… Killer Whale.

I don’t go and protest the zoos and I didn’t protest SeaWorld. This is their business, after all, and the whales are their property. But it’s still very off putting to me. Of course, if they don’t plan on releasing the whales I’m not sure how much better off they’re going to be, but perhaps if they can’t run these big circus shows with them they’ll eventually cut them loose. The sooner the better as far as I’m concerned.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’m glad to see the shows go.

I also don’t like to see animals … being abused

The fact that you conflate those two means you not only have a soft heart but a soft head, Jazz.

for no reason

No reason at all? Yeah, soft head is definitely in evidence.

I feel the same way about big cats and other predators being kept in zoos.

LOL, you’re ok with the stupid or herd animals being kept, but not the somehow noble predators? Egad, man, are you entirely senseless?

Leftists never will… perhaps it’s because they lack the intelligence to see the need for applying it.

dominigan on November 10, 2015 at 9:57 AM

It’s also the fact that they are herd animals. They love being protected and told where to go and what to do and kept as if they were sheep.

GWB on November 10, 2015 at 10:26 AM

Which leaves the question: What’s Sea World going to do with the remaining Killer Whales? Leave them to swim in their boring little puddles? They can’t release them, as they will die almost immediately.

Rode Werk on November 9, 2015 at 6:58 PM

Excellent point! The orcas that have been raised in captivity in Sea World don’t have the hunting and fishing skills of those that live in the open ocean, and are not used to fish that swim away when attacked. They probably wouldn’t be able to feed themselves in the open ocean, so Sea World will probably have to feed them for years until they die of natural causes.

Steve Z on November 10, 2015 at 10:37 AM

GWB on November 10, 2015 at 10:26 AM

Is that what they told you? Interesting, wherever did you learn to speak whale?

Buttercup on November 10, 2015 at 10:48 AM

Because realeasing killer whales born in captivity has worked out so well in the past

catmman on November 10, 2015 at 11:30 AM

Is that what they told you? Interesting, wherever did you learn to speak whale?

Buttercup on November 10, 2015 at 10:48 AM

Wherever did you learn your reading comprehension skills? Because you should ask for your money back.

Again, with context:
In replying to someone who was speaking about leftists, I said:

See, the word “they” there has an antecedent the subject of the quoted sentence, that is leftists. See, the antecedent is the noun to which the pronoun (“they” in this case) refers. It is usually the noun (subject or object) closest in proximity to the pronoun – which would be the word “leftist” in the preceding quotation.

Did you get it that time? Or should I slow down my typing and use smaller words?

(Oh, and yes, the leftists absolutely tell me all the time that they love being treated as herd animals. It’s evident in their actions, attitudes, political choices and their speech. I learned to speak leftist by watching the idiots in the news and by engaging trolls on the internet.)

GWB on November 10, 2015 at 12:08 PM

See, the word “they” there has as an antecedent the subject of the quoted sentence, that is leftists.

GWB on November 10, 2015 at 12:08 PM

FIFM. If only preview worked I would have caught that.

GWB on November 10, 2015 at 12:11 PM

This article furthers the liberal meme that wacko leftists exclusively “speak for the animals”!!

What rubbish!!!

What evidence is there that leftists understand what animals think and what they consider a good life? Who elected them…and how?? These leftist wackos don’t even understand their own species: much less animals!!!

Isn’t it a fact that captive animals live longer? Then how are they harmed by captivity??

Leftist wackos: I speak for the ants, and thus I out-vote you all!!! (sorry you missed the election: I won because of your forfeit)

landlines on November 10, 2015 at 12:27 PM

There is no difference between keeping a dog or cat as a pet than an Orca, or any other fish in an aquarium.

Disappointed with you Jazz, seems like you let your heart get in front of your intellect.

JustPlainBill on November 10, 2015 at 12:41 PM

Prove they are smart. What have they done to make you think that? Have they developed writing? Music? A verbal history? No? But they can do stupid animal tricks! I think this is proof that the size of the brain has nothing to do with intelligence.

Fact is, they are just a very large, very dumb animal that knows how to hunt in packs in the wild. And they taste like chicken.

earlgrey on November 10, 2015 at 1:33 PM

Jazz, not disagreeing with you but do your feelings extend to agility competitions for dogs? Or was there something in the documentary you mentioned that highlighted abuse?

OBQuiet on November 10, 2015 at 1:40 PM

Since we seem to have assembled a forum which attracts animal activists, I have a question for them:

How come you agitate for “cage free chickens” but not “cage free dogs”???

/futile_attempt_to_mix_liberalism_with_logic>