Ninety-seven percent of Obamacare’s “newly insured” are from Medicaid expansion

posted at 11:21 am on October 21, 2015 by Kristina Ribali

Welfare headerThe Obama administration has been bragging that nine million more Americans now have health insurance, thanks to Obamacare. But just like with most numbers cited to support the government takeover of health care in America, that “9 million” figure is deceptive.

We were told that 48 million Americans lacked affordable health insurance and something had to be done, but even five years after the passage of Obamacare, 33 million Americans are still uninsured.

If you dig deeper into the actual numbers and realize what really happened with those 9 million “newly insured”, there’s little reason to cheer.

The number of Americans with health insurance increased by 9.25 million in 2014, the first year that two key provisions of Obamacare took place: the subsidies for coverage purchased through the exchanges and Medicaid expansion. And according to recent research by The Heritage Foundation, out of that 9.25 million, “the vast majority of the increase was the result of 8.99 million individuals being added to the Medicaid rolls.”

In other words, over 97 percent of last year’s newly insured Americans were from Medicaid expansion.

I’ve written extensively about the numerous ways Medicaid fails the poor, and actually traps them in poverty – and Obamacare’s expansion of Medicaid makes the difficulties much, much worse.

While Medicaid was originally designed to help needy mothers, children, and the disabled, Obamacare’s Medicaid expansion opened up the program to able-bodied, working age adults, the majority of whom have no dependent children and also don’t work. Adding several million people into Medicaid while failing to address the program’s systemic problems with financial solvency and access to doctors is bad enough. But every dollar spent incentivizing a healthy young adult not to work is a dollar taken away from someone who is truly needy and has no other options.

Even looking at the roughly 3 percent of the newly insured who aren’t part of Medicaid reveals Obamacare’s inherent shortcomings.

There were almost 4.79 million new enrollees in private individual market plans in 2014. However, as Heritage’s researchers noted, 4.53 million people lost their employment-based group coverage during that same time. This leaves a paltry 260,000 people with new private health insurance.

Obamacare has wasted billions of dollars, increased premiums and deductibles on millions of families, and has likely frustrated countless doctors into early retirement. This administration tore apart our country’s entire health care system, all to provide insurance for roughly the number of people who will attend a game at two major college football stadiums this Saturday.

Ronald Reagan once said, “We should measure welfare’s success by how many people leave welfare, not by how many are added.”

By this standard, President Obama is an utter failure. We’ve added nearly 9 million work-able adults without children onto the welfare rolls – a new entitlement class that has never been eligible for benefits before and in 2013 a record 48 million Americans were also dependent on food stamps – a record high.

This Administration can claim that their domestic policies are a success, but the only thing they’re really successful in doing is trapping millions more Americans in government dependence.

____________________________________________

Kristina Ribali is the Senior Coalitions Director for the Foundation for Government Accountability. Follow her on Twitter for the latest on Obamacare. You can also reach her via email at [email protected]

Comments

You guys…I didn’t know you cared. And my word, I’ve dropped some serious knowledge around these parts. You are, of course, welcome.
libfreeordie on August 18, 2015 at 12:46 PM

When premiums decline y’all are going to be pissed!
libfreeordie on May 7, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Schadenfreude on October 21, 2015 at 11:23 AM

It is too complicated, no one will see the big picture in all of this.

albill on October 21, 2015 at 11:24 AM

As intended. They want everyone on single payer.

rbj on October 21, 2015 at 11:24 AM

Nice to have another non-political story at HotAir /

DanMan on October 21, 2015 at 11:27 AM

Just let this statement sink in for a minute….

NINE MILLION. Which is not true….to which we wrecked
the Health Care of how many MILLIONS??

quick, get out your calculators Leftists….

Tell you what. I’ll come over to your home, and level the
whole f*cking thing, because one of your Deck Railings
were loose….

One of these days, the monumental STUPIDITY of Leftists
will, in fact, destroy this Nation.

ToddPA on October 21, 2015 at 11:28 AM

Good analysis, Kristina.

22044 on October 21, 2015 at 11:30 AM

…and despite all of this, Medicaid had no significant effect on health outcomes vs.being uninsured

…if we’re going to throw trillions of $$ down this rat-hole, we should at least demand that these “newly insured” receive proper care…

Pelosi Schmelosi on October 21, 2015 at 11:32 AM

By this standard, President Obama is an utter failure

…quick name me ONE standard by which Odoooshbag is considered a success…??..and no destroying our once proud and great Nation isn’t one….

Pelosi Schmelosi on October 21, 2015 at 11:35 AM

Ms. Ribali, here’s a challenge that I can’t track down.

I want to know what Obamacare is costing in non-tax dollars.

How many trillions of private dollars that were once going into college savings accounts, piano lessons, and family grocery budgets are now required by men with guns to be spent on premiums, deductibles, and other required-by-law out of pocket expenses over the same taxpayer-cost timeframe?

rogerb on October 21, 2015 at 11:36 AM

One of these days, the monumental STUPIDITY of Leftists
will, in fact, destroy this Nation.

ToddPA on October 21, 2015 at 11:28 AM

That ship has sailed.

Joe Mama on October 21, 2015 at 11:37 AM

rogerb on October 21, 2015 at 11:36 AM

Good question, comrade.

There will be a train along any minute to pick you up and bring you to a fun camp.

Mark Boabaca on October 21, 2015 at 11:38 AM

Of course they are, what else did we expect…

mnjg on October 21, 2015 at 11:40 AM

Got a call from a collection company yesterday about an unpaid lab bill for blood work I had done in March. Just a mix up in billing as I self pay and don’t use group insurance. I get this exact blood work down every six months and the cost ranges between $99 and $199. The reason for the spread is because they get few cash payments and figure out the discounts differently due to confusion.

So I ask how much I owe and it was $859. This is now the approved cash payment for work that used to cost at most $199. I am not saying why the cost jumped up so much, just pointing out that I was told that $199 used to be the price and now $859 is the current cash price.

Hang on folks, the ride is just starting.

HonestLib on October 21, 2015 at 11:40 AM

At the end, what will remain from Obamacare is the medicaid expansion…

mnjg on October 21, 2015 at 11:40 AM

rogerb on October 21, 2015 at 11:36 AM

Good question, comrade.

Mark Boabaca on October 21, 2015 at 11:38 AM

Excellent comrade!

Do they have cookies?

itsspideyman on October 21, 2015 at 11:42 AM

That is a success to them.

Gatsu on October 21, 2015 at 11:45 AM

Both my wife and I are disabled and according to Medicaid we make to much money to qualify even though we are both on disability. Figure that one out. I was told by numerous people (even those who work for Medicaid) that I need to “exaggerate” my bills so that I will qualify. Obviously I would never do something so dishonest so I just have to live with the fact that most months we have to do without some medications. Meanwhile the minority couple that lives above us is on Medicare, Medicaid and food stamps (we don’t qualify for food stamps either) and are driving a 2014 Mustang.

bandutski on October 21, 2015 at 11:48 AM

It’s a mystery why they didn’t just expand Medicaid and Medicare instead of creating a whole circuitous new law that is screwing up care and costs for millions and millions of people who prior to the law’s passage were not having problems getting or paying for coverage.

Oh, wait. No it isn’t.

Good Lt on October 21, 2015 at 11:48 AM

That is a success to them.

Gatsu on October 21, 2015 at 11:45 AM

More like the Holy Grail.

antipc on October 21, 2015 at 11:51 AM

Nice to have another non-political story at HotAir /

DanMan on October 21, 2015 at 11:27 AM

I don’t know why you are dropping the sarcasm tag behind your comment… the tags line following Hot Air reads “Politics, Culture, Media, 2015, Breaking News.” The first tag is “politics.” Are you dense?

ExpressoBold on October 21, 2015 at 11:51 AM

One of these days, the monumental STUPIDITY of Leftists
will, in fact, destroy this Nation.

ToddPA on October 21, 2015 at 11:28 AM

That ship has sailed.

Joe Mama on October 21, 2015 at 11:37 AM

Was this once a great country or what?

antipc on October 21, 2015 at 11:54 AM

bandutski on October 21, 2015 at 11:48 AM

Didn’t you hear that their grand-grand-parents could be slaves? For that, they deserve all your money.

Rix on October 21, 2015 at 11:55 AM

The best part? It’s all free.

Bishop on October 21, 2015 at 11:57 AM

It wasn’t just Obysmal… it was also all the Democrats in Congress and John Roberts, Chief JustAss of the the Supreme Court. Don’t limit your blame to O-Boy when the guilt is much more widely applied.

ExpressoBold on October 21, 2015 at 11:58 AM

Pfft, I’ll wait for Ezra Klein to Voxplain to me how this is all good news, TYVM.

NotCoach on October 21, 2015 at 11:58 AM

bandutski. Oct 21, 2015 at 11:48 am

Do you live in a state that declined the Medicaid expansion?

cam2 on October 21, 2015 at 11:59 AM

The best part? It’s all free.

Bishop on October 21, 2015 at 11:57 AM

What part of “the federal government pays 100% of the costs and the state pays 10% of the cost in ten years” do you not understand?

libfreeordie on August 28, 2013 at 3:13 PM

NotCoach on October 21, 2015 at 12:00 PM

33 million Americans are still uninsured.

Isn’t that illegal now?

mankai on October 21, 2015 at 12:03 PM

Do you live in a state that declined the Medicaid expansion?

cam2 on October 21, 2015 at 11:59 AM

I really do wish management would remove sewer rats like you…

ExpressoBold on October 21, 2015 at 12:06 PM

Isn’t that illegal now?

mankai on October 21, 2015 at 12:03 PM

Yes, and I hope HRC does something about it after she releases an executive order to confiscate all firearms. She can kill two birds with one story by having those who volunteer to go door to door to collect firearms also apprehend those who have not gotten insurance.

NotCoach on October 21, 2015 at 12:09 PM

bandutski. Oct 21, 2015 at 11:48 am

Do you live where the majority (D) House, majority (D) Senate, and (D) president couldn’t exclusively write and pass their law with no (R) votes to cover you?

rogerb on October 21, 2015 at 12:10 PM

Do you live in a state that declined the Medicaid expansion?

cam2 on October 21, 2015 at 11:59 AM

To be honest, I don’t know. We were turned down in PA and also when we moved to SC. I do know that I have seen many others who have much better clothes and cars who somehow mange to qualify for Medicare. I guess I have my father to thank for my ethics. I remember at one point he wanted help with his medical bills and was told that he also qualified for food stamps and Medicaid. He refused and was adamant about only wanting help paying his medical bills. When they told him that he would have to go on assistance to get the help he needed, he said “There is no way I am going on food stamps or any other assistance. Forget the whole thing. I’ll figure something else out.”

bandutski on October 21, 2015 at 12:18 PM

Do we know how many of those 8.99 million new medicaid patients previously had health insurance?

Kristina uses the 48 million uninsured number. That’s the number Obama was using until the infamous Joe Wilson “you lie” moment after which the President started using 30M. It would be nice to know what the actual numbers are for this whole insurance mess.

hopeful on October 21, 2015 at 12:28 PM

hopeful on October 21, 2015 at 12:28 PM

One of our (D)s posted this last year:

VINDICATION: KFF Study: 57% of EXCHANGE QHPs were Previously Uninsured

And don’t forget the woodwork effect that had nothing to do with increased coverage under Obamacare:

Avalere estimates that between 700,000 and 800,000 Americans in non-expansion states who were already eligible for existing Medicaid programs, but never actually signed up for them, enrolled between October through January. This is a phenomenon that health care experts refer to as the ACA’s “woodwork effect,” wherein eligible populations come “out of the woodwork” amid persistent national and local coverage of the health law’s signup period. Some of these people may simply not have known that they previously qualified for government health care benefits, or didn’t know how to sign up.

rogerb on October 21, 2015 at 12:44 PM

Gotta keep ’em voting somehow.

Rusty Nail on October 21, 2015 at 12:49 PM

Hang on folks, the ride is just starting.

HonestLib on October 21, 2015 at 11:40 AM

I have blood work done every three months and I have noticed the same thing as well. The prices have more than tripled. I was speaking with the nurse that drew my blood; she informed me that most of the private clinics and labs had closed or forced to join with the larger hospital groups in the area.

In addition I suffer from chronic kidney stones, so I am always in and out of the doctor. I have seen a great insurance plan go to absolute crap and pricing sky rocket out of control.

Anyone that believes Obamacare is actually good for this country, is a blind partisan hack.

ShadowsPawn on October 21, 2015 at 12:54 PM

Cost of just getting a website marginally working for cACA = $2 billion.

Number of privately insured = 260K.

Price of just the federal debacle of website per newly insured = $7692.

Of course the government management layer would make the health care industry much more efficient.

jukin3 on October 21, 2015 at 1:00 PM

I’d like to “disincentive” use of that so-called word with tar and feathers.

corona79 on October 21, 2015 at 1:00 PM

Well, no problem, Trumps single payer program will be the greatest insurance program on earth…it will insure everyone, and it will not cost anything to anyone…

right2bright on October 21, 2015 at 1:05 PM

“By this standard, President Obama is an utter failure.”

True – for rational, thinking adults interested in facts.

But the government got a $400 million fustercluck of a website out of the deal, plus a massive new multi-billion dollar layer of bureaucracy ripe for fraud and abuse. So, for leftist sycophants, Obama is da man!

locomotivebreath1901 on October 21, 2015 at 1:14 PM

So lets see.

1. Higher costs – Check
2. Less access to doctors – Check
3. Quality of care dropping – Check
4. Use deceptive numbers to claim Obamacare is a success – Check

I was listening to Michael Medved a couple weeks ago, he does a disagreement day once a week, and some guy called up and said, “Well I’m happy that more people have health insurance. I don’t care what it costs.”.

It illustrated the liberal mindset. If it makes them feel good, then consequences be damned. People with this mentality should not be allowed to govern or make important decisions….

Hank_Scorpio on October 21, 2015 at 1:21 PM

The values of the Obama Administration lead them to conclude that their domestic policies are a success, because they’re really successful in trapping millions more Americans in government dependence.

Mission accomplished!

s1im on October 21, 2015 at 1:28 PM

bandutski Oct 21, 2015 at 12:18 pm

I’m so sorry to hear that. You are exactly the kind of person the Medicaid expansion was intended to help — the working poor and those on disability whose incomes are over the limit for regular Medicaid. Unfortunately, PA didn’t accept Federal money for the expansion until this year and SC has refused it. Maybe contacting your state representatives would help change their minds.

cam2 on October 21, 2015 at 1:31 PM

I eagerly await your outcry at the number of people in Medicare, (which is government single payer and the single biggest insurance market).

antisense on October 21, 2015 at 2:00 PM

Ninety-seven percent of Obamacare’s “newly insured” are from Medicaid expansion

…exactly, who are those 3%?

JugEarsButtHurt on October 21, 2015 at 2:02 PM

bandutski on October 21, 2015 at 11:48 AM

Yeah, there’s too much going on here to really figure out whats up. A cursory google search shows that some states at least have medicaid programs that allow you to qualify if you are disabled but have high incomes or assets.

antisense on October 21, 2015 at 2:08 PM

antisense on October 21, 2015 at 2:00 PM

Sure, Medicare has got to go. Replace it with a tax credit.

Now, why do you leftist twits always make such idiotic assumptions about what we like and what we don’t like? I have news for you: Nobody likes Medicare either. Its awfulness is why there are private supplemental plans in existence. Dump the entire wretched system and provide tax credits for the purchase of private insurance.

NotCoach on October 21, 2015 at 2:46 PM

cam2 on October 21, 2015 at 1:31 PM

Why? So in a couple of years states would have to soak their taxpayers to pay for it?

darwin on October 21, 2015 at 2:59 PM

bandutski Oct 21, 2015 at 12:18 pm

cam2 on October 21, 2015 at 1:31 PM

+1.

Head of his class Harvard Law grad and constitutional scholar President Obama, all the lawyer (D)s in the House, and all the lawyer (D)s in the Senate intended to help you when they chose very specific wording for Obamacare to not help you, bandutski.

Maybe contacting people who had nothing to do with Obamacare would help change their minds.

rogerb on October 21, 2015 at 3:30 PM

So lets see.

1. Higher costs – Check
2. Less access to doctors – Check
3. Quality of care dropping – Check
4. Use deceptive numbers to claim Obamacare is a success – Check

Hank_Scorpio on October 21, 2015 at 1:21 PM

The part I highlighted is one of the major differences between a libtard and a Conservative. They make their minds up in an election through empathy and Conservatives use facts.

Sniper on October 21, 2015 at 3:41 PM

So….calling it Obamacare all this time has been wrong.

It’s actually Obamacaid.

MichaelGabriel on October 21, 2015 at 3:41 PM

ObamaCare was designed to fail since Day One.

GarandFan on October 21, 2015 at 4:05 PM

rogerb. Oct 21, 2015 at 3:30 pm

Not sure whether you are ignorant of the statute and its history or are being deliberately disingenuous. Neither speaks well of you. Had Obamacare been implemented as intended, every state would have expanded Medicaid coverage to those with limited income such as bandutski and his wife. The Supreme Court’s ruling made Medicaid expansion optional, so it is now up to the states to decide whether to implement it.

cam2 on October 21, 2015 at 4:10 PM

Welcome to the Democrats 21st century slavery. Up until the mid-19th century, it was outright slavery. That continued until the mid-20th century with Jim Crow laws. Now this is the latest of enslaving millions of people.

djaymick on October 21, 2015 at 4:34 PM

The part I highlighted is one of the major differences between a libtard and a Conservative. They make their minds up in an election through selective empathy and Conservatives use facts.

Sniper on October 21, 2015 at 3:41 PM

Fixed for accuracy.

Leftist @ssholes like cam2 don’t care about those hurt by ChoomCare as much as they do those “helped” by it.

Anti-ControI on October 21, 2015 at 4:52 PM

rogerb on October 21, 2015 at 3:30 PM

cam2 on October 21, 2015 at 4:10 PM

+1.

Yes, exactly.

You are 100% correct.

All they had to do was word the law they, and only they, wrote and passed so that those with limited income were covered.

Instead, they used jumbo crayons to scribble out what they intended, and, as a result of the law they wrote and passed, people like bandutski and his wife aren’t covered.

Shame there wasn’t a constitutional law professor available to look at the ACA before passing it, eh?

rogerb on October 21, 2015 at 5:16 PM

Oh, wait. No it isn’t.

Good Lt on October 21, 2015 at 11:48 AM

Oh, a small portion of despotic liberal governance you dislike?

hawkdriver on October 21, 2015 at 6:17 PM

Medicareaid for all!

The Schaef on October 21, 2015 at 9:43 PM

I’ve dropped some serious knowledge around these parts.

libfreeordie on August 18, 2015 at 12:46 PM

But your shoes clean up pretty good with a stiff pine bough.

Younggod on October 22, 2015 at 6:23 AM

Ninety-seven percent of Obamacare’s “newly insured” are from Medicaid expansion

…exactly, who are those 3%?

JugEarsButtHurt on October 21, 2015 at 2:02 PM

Illegal aliens.

Younggod on October 22, 2015 at 6:26 AM

I’ve dropped some serious knowledge around these parts.

libfreeordie on August 18, 2015 at 12:46 PM

But your shoes clean up pretty good with a stiff pine bough.

Younggod on October 22, 2015 at 6:23 AM

Is that what I stepped in? I would have called it…. something else.

GrumpyOldFart on October 22, 2015 at 9:44 AM