Video: “I’m Christian, but I’m not…”

posted at 8:01 pm on September 8, 2015 by Allahpundit

This reminds me of the GOP’s approach to Latino voters: Lots of time spent assuring the audience that you’re not against them, zero time spent trying to win them over by explaining what it is you’re for. The underlying message, which is presented as a sort of advertisement for Christianity, is “Believe it or not, not all Christians are terrible people.” That’s some ad. Imagine the corollary for BuzzFeed: “Believe it or not, not all of our posts are clickbait garbage.” Which would certainly be true, but how eager would you be to read the site if that’s how they were marketing themselves?

If you want the believer’s take on this, here’s Erick Erickson wondering how a Christian can witness for their faith without mentioning Jesus and Mollie Hemingway wondering whether it’s Christianity that’s really being witnessed for here. Isn’t it really the BuzzFeed worldview that’s being celebrated, with Christianity merely presented as something that doesn’t inconveniently interfere with that?

As the better half [Mark Hemingway] noted, imagine that BuzzFeed did a video like this for Muslims. “I’m Muslim but I’m not a terrorist!” The outrage would be immediate. But somehow it’s okay to castigate the vast majority of Christians whose views differ from BuzzFeed dogma as homophobic, holier-than-thou, close-minded, unaccepting, uneducated, judgmental, conservative ignoramuses who put themselves on a pedestal. On that pedestal front, I wonder if the BuzzFeed video production team or those interviewed had any idea how self-contradictory that came across.

Coming soon from BuzzFeed video: Is it technically a violation of “Thou shalt not steal” if all you’re stealing is viral content from Reddit?

Comments

For a bunch of non-judgmental people, I see a lot of judging going on there.

munseym on September 8, 2015 at 10:11 PM

Video: “I’m Christian, but I’m not”

Congratulations. You stopped the headline quote at just the right point.

Except for the ellipsis, of course.

There Goes the Neighborhood on September 8, 2015 at 10:12 PM

No, you are not a Christian.

balkanmom on September 8, 2015 at 10:27 PM

“I’m a Christian but I don’t believe in Christ”.

Progressive religion.

fitzsweetpea on September 8, 2015 at 10:31 PM

The funny thing is, they’re Pharisees.

“I’m Christian, but not like those Christians. I accept people for what they are. I love gays. I’m a feminist. I’m queer.”

Compare to:

“God, I thank thee that I am not as other men, extortioners, unjust, or even as this publican. I fast twice in the week. I give tithes of all that I possess.”

They’re just self-righteous for different reasons.

The Pharisees had their own version of “righteousness” from keeping their own rules, but not the righteousness of God.

Modern progressives have political correctness.

There Goes the Neighborhood on September 8, 2015 at 10:34 PM

That was nauseating…

I’m a Christian and I’m quite sure that the world is going to find that offensive. And while that will be hard for me, it’s actually the world’s problem.

And the more Christianity tries to fit in with this rapidly descending world, the more worldly it will become.

paul1149 on September 8, 2015 at 10:54 PM

paul1149 on September 8, 2015 at 10:54 PM

Yes. Nauseating is a good word for it.

I am not ashamed to say that I am pretty narrow minded. Or at least, I strive to be, for “wide is the gate, and broad is the way that leadeth to destruction, and many there are who go in thereat. How narrow is the gate, and strait is the way that leadeth to life: and few there are that find it!”

“If you love me, keep my commandments.”

“Do not think that I came to send peace upon earth. I came not to send peace, but the sword.”

“Do not think that I come to destroy the law or the prophets. I have not come to destroy but to fulfill.”

“If the world hate you, know ye, that it hath hated me before you. If you had been of the world, the world would love its own: but because you are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.”

fools hate them that flee from evil things.

pannw on September 8, 2015 at 11:01 PM

Compassion is the Achilles Heel of western culture and western religion and should be exploited at every opportunity. Losers are always defeated by their OWN dogma, not the other guy’s! (Can you say Political Correctness?)

Pole-Cat on September 8, 2015 at 11:18 PM

This Allahpundit guy’s an atheist but he’s not an anti-theist.

Cleombrotus on September 8, 2015 at 11:22 PM

Would this be a bad time to mention I had a wife leave me for another woman?

HonestLib on September 8, 2015 at 8:55 PM

Does that mean you got the other woman, like when someone leaves you for dead? #LoveEnglish

Nutstuyu on September 8, 2015 at 11:34 PM

paul1149 on September 8, 2015 at 10:54 PM

The minute my congregation allows gays to marry in our sanctuary, is the point that I will be leaving the church.

Happy Nomad on September 8, 2015 at 11:44 PM

paul1149 on September

Had a similar conversation with a friend earlier and couldn’t answer the question of what do we do when the two borders of our respective realms collide?

Who gives in first?

Cleombrotus on September 8, 2015 at 11:48 PM

When they make the “I’m a woman, but I’m not…” I want to be in it.

I’m a woman, but I’m not a man hater.
I’m a woman, but I’m not a leftist.
I’m a woman, but I’m not analyzing your every utterance for microagressions.
I’m a woman, but I don’t need a “safe room” to protect me from unpopular opinions.

I’m a woman, and I am pro-life.
I’m a woman, and I love the Second Amendment.
I’m a woman, and I think men and women are biologically different.

You know, this is kinda fun.

CJ on September 8, 2015 at 11:55 PM

You’re not anything.

spmat on September 8, 2015 at 11:57 PM

I’d just like to clarify one thing; this is NOT an example of what is meant by Christian apologetics…

Something this abjectly insulting can only be trolling for clicks…

And these young folks must be buying into the public school system cartoon of Christianinty or, at the very least, are not well acquainted with New Testament Bible stories. Because, all of them come off sounding a lot like a secular version of the Pharisee, in the Pharisee & the Publican (Luke 18:9-14); gratefully sounding off about how much more righteous (in a secular humanist kind of way) than all of those bad, bad, people who the media shows us all the time.

RocketmanBob on September 9, 2015 at 12:09 AM

All that’s missing is a cock crowing thrice at the end.

Christien on September 9, 2015 at 12:10 AM

Moralistic Therapeutic Deism is not Christianity.

OrdinaryAverageGuy on September 9, 2015 at 12:15 AM

For a bunch of non-judgmental people, I see a lot of judging going on there.
munseym on September 8, 2015 at 10:11 PM

I know, and it just sticks in my craw, that some people would presume to take upon themselves this ministry, when everyone should know the ‘ministry of judgement’ has been assigned to me.
What’s wrong with these people? ….. I think they need a good dose of “judging” … that’ll fix their wagon.

listens2glenn on September 9, 2015 at 12:17 AM

CJ on September 8, 2015 at 11:55 PM
It surrre is … : )

listens2glenn on September 9, 2015 at 12:19 AM

“In your mouth is ‘God!’ ‘God!’–in your pocket, a dagger.”

~Ancient proverb

Christien on September 9, 2015 at 12:30 AM

“Yeah, I’m a Christian … but I’m not TOO Christian … that is to say, I don’t over-do it … if ya’ know what I mean.”

If Christianity were against the law, would there be enough evidence to convict you?

listens2glenn on September 9, 2015 at 1:41 AM

This Allahpundit guy’s an atheist but he’s not an anti-theist.

Cleombrotus on September 8, 2015 at 11:22 PM

“He’s not atheist-atheist!” -Whoopie “Rape-Rape” Goldberg

fitzsweetpea on September 9, 2015 at 2:03 AM

Great comments, but this is my favorite — right to the point.

i never liked when people made a big deal about saying “i’m part of group x, but i’m not like the stereotype of group x.” if you do that, what you’re doing is promoting the stereotype. if you have to make a big announcement about how you are not part of the stereotype, it implies that most people in the group ARE that stereotype and you are a rare exception. otherwise why would you go to the trouble of declaring it to everyone?? if you’re not rare then what’s the point of announcing it to everyone??

Sachiko on September 8, 2015 at 8:10 PM

AesopFan on September 9, 2015 at 2:51 AM

It should say, I’m a Christian, but the bible is racist. Christianity is binary. Either you live the bible, and try to follow gods word with a penitent heart, or you don’t. There is no exceptions or provisos

Brock Robamney on September 9, 2015 at 5:10 AM

I’m a guy who likes the women, so this is just a supposition.

“I’m gay, but my sexuality is not my identity.”
“I’m gay, but two men or two women can’t get married.”
“I’m gay, but the leader of HRC is a pedophile and he should be arrested.”
“I’m gay, but the murder of Matthew Shepard was not a hate crime.”
“I’m gay, but I trust God’s command to be sexually pure, so I will be chaste.”
“I’m gay and I support Kim Davis.”

22044 on September 9, 2015 at 7:46 AM

The funny thing is, they’re Pharisees.

Compare to:

They’re just self-righteous for different reasons.

Modern progressives have political correctness.

There Goes the Neighborhood on September 8, 2015 at 10:34 PM

Reminds me of a guy claiming to be a Christian pastor with his wife holding up an “I’m sorry” sign at a gay pride parade.
The clear inference was that he wasn’t like those other miscreants.

He would fit right in in this way: He and the gay people at the parade can be prideful together.

22044 on September 9, 2015 at 7:55 AM

Since the meme here is to promote liberalism which J Gresham Machen notes is not Christianity, I like how you contributed your own distortions of the faith.

Hate the sin, forgive the sinner….it’s up to God to decide whether or not they have changed their ways and repented, not man.

Any man making decisions regarding your fitness to be in the presence of the Lord is sure to be damned himself.

Andy__B on September 8, 2015 at 8:14 PM

That is an anti-doctrine – exactly the opposite of what Scriptures teach.

John 15:16 (and many more passages) says “You did not choose Me but I [Jesus] chose you.”

It is blasphemy towards the Paraclete to deny His work of transformation aka “regeneration” and claim that you did it yourself.

The Book of Life is not a hotel registry where you can just walk up and write your name in it.

Also, Psalms 5:5 could be an interesting read.

Reuben Hick on September 9, 2015 at 8:23 AM

How about this for a follow on….

“I’m in my twenties, but I’m not looking for a handout from my parents or my government; I’m in my twenties, but I support myself.”

Deafdog on September 9, 2015 at 8:23 AM

Still can’t believe Jesus talked to that whore…what was He thinking?

And then bringing her into His closest group…and teaching and loving tax collectors.

Has anyone ever wondered what was the thorn in Paul’s side? It wasn’t physical, that would be pronounced…

And what was that thing about us being sinful…why was He so judgmental. If we follow Him, doesn’t that make us perfect and us not sinning anymore, ever?

The one thing that Christians cannot tolerate is another persons sins…

right2bright on September 9, 2015 at 8:26 AM

Merely having an open mind is nothing. The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid.

– G. K. Chesteerton

psrch on September 9, 2015 at 8:31 AM

Happy Nomad on September 8, 2015 at 11:44 PM

It will happen, for the apostate pretender Big Boxes like “Jesus World”, they will just go ahead and be trendy, hip and cool and probably underwrite the entire cost of the wedding and reception of Sodomites calling it “outreach”.

For most others, it will begin when the “all inclusive pastor” will refer to Bruce Jenner as “she” and “her”, then easily perform the first Sodomite “marriage” that includes a “transgender” because the first hurdle of calling a dog a horse has already been made.

Reuben Hick on September 9, 2015 at 8:31 AM

– G. K. Chesteerton

psrch on September 9, 2015 at 8:31 AM

As the saying goes: “A gutter is open too and look what falls into it.

Reuben Hick on September 9, 2015 at 8:33 AM

Also, Psalms 5:5 could be an interesting read.

Reuben Hick on September 9, 2015 at 8:23 AM

And you decide what is blasphemy, you decide what is in a man’s heart?

I hope you read Psalm 5:5, it pertains to your proclamation of what is blasphemy…boastful I might add.

The irony of your post.

“You did not choose Me but I [Jesus] chose you.”

So there goes free will out the door, we have no choice…

See where taking text out of context and applying it to whatever you are trying to state ends up being a problem?

That is what you get when you are boastful…but you won’t see that, you will just think you are “straightening” out the other posters beliefs…you’ll show him.

right2bright on September 9, 2015 at 8:35 AM

For a bunch of non-judgmental people, I see a lot of judging going on there.

munseym on September 8, 2015 at 10:11 PM

A common misconception among most unbelievers and many Christians is that Christians are to never judge one another. When what the Bible says is:
1) If you are going to judge, be prepared to be held to the same standard that you are using. (Matthew 7:1,2)
and
2) As the church, Christians are supposed to hold one another accountable to the standards of the Scriptures. (1 Corinthians 5).

Why even what Paul and Silas had to say was judged according to what the Scriptures taught (Acts 17:10,11). And this was considered a good thing.

So it’s important that Christians hold each other to the standard of the Bible. After all, if what the Bible has to say doesn’t inform what we believe, we might as well just be another social club.

RAN58 on September 9, 2015 at 8:36 AM

Too often the term “open-minded” means “lacks all conviction about anything”.

tommyboy on September 9, 2015 at 9:09 AM

I’m an Obama voter, but I’m not like, I want a free phone and stuff…

Galtian on September 9, 2015 at 9:16 AM

You ever notice it’s always the “open minded” calling for others to think differently. Not themselves, mind you; but others. Their minds are made up…because they’re open minded.

anuts on September 9, 2015 at 9:26 AM

The irony of these so-called Christians proclaiming themselves non-judgmental whilst they judge away is particularly amusing. It reminds me of the scripture reading that not all who said Lord, Lord will enter the kingdom of heaven. Calling yourself a Christian and assuming that by accepting and tolerating the sins of others you are fulfilling God’s will is folly. Better a millstone be tied around your neck and be tossed into the sea. No wonder the gate is narrow with “Christians” like these.

ehscott on September 9, 2015 at 9:52 AM

Too often the term “open-minded” means “lacks all conviction about anything”.

tommyboy on September 9, 2015 at 9:09 AM

It’s like the term “free spirit.” Whenever I come across that one, it usually ends up meaning “someone completely lacking any moral compass.”

CurtZHP on September 9, 2015 at 9:58 AM

But he gave man free will.

You’ve chosen to be stupid and drown your mind in narcotics.

itsspideyman on September 8, 2015 at 9:49 PM

What do you mean by narcotics?
Do you know weed is a plant made by God himself?

What’s wrong with using a plant created by God?

weedisgood on September 9, 2015 at 10:05 AM

What do you mean by narcotics?
Do you know weed is a plant made by God himself?
What’s wrong with using a plant created by God?
weedisgood on September 9, 2015 at 10:05 AM

As is the poppy seed and cocoa leaf.

anuts on September 9, 2015 at 10:08 AM

*poppy seed

anuts on September 9, 2015 at 10:09 AM

There Goes the Neighborhood on September 8, 2015 at 10:34 PM

Excellent point, well put!

GWB on September 9, 2015 at 10:11 AM

Christ reserves a special place in Hell for Pharisees and hypocrites like these fake Christians.

RSbrewer on September 9, 2015 at 10:24 AM

But he gave man free will.

You’ve chosen to be stupid and drown your mind in narcotics.
itsspideyman on September 8, 2015 at 9:49 PM

What do you mean by narcotics?
Do you know weed is a plant made by God himself?

What’s wrong with using a plant created by God?
weedisgood on September 9, 2015 at 10:05 AM

Everything of this earth, including the ‘flora and fauna,’ became (in varying degrees) corrupt, after that cataclysmic event we call “Noah’s flood.”

The term “natural,” as pertains to the earth’s environment, and condition today, is not the same as “normal,” the way God intended “normal” to be.
Conclusion: the point of your question is invalid.

listens2glenn on September 9, 2015 at 10:30 AM

listens2glenn on September 9, 2015 at 10:30 AM

Uh, try a bit earlier than that. It was corrupted by the fall in Eden.

GWB on September 9, 2015 at 10:34 AM

Huh, in discussing “narcotics” I must have tripped the HA moderation trigger. smh

GWB on September 9, 2015 at 10:40 AM

If you have to tell people what you are, chances are you’re not.

GT on September 9, 2015 at 11:01 AM

They should sell monogamous hetrosexual marriage to young single women. I’d think they’d be for it.

Tom C on September 9, 2015 at 11:03 AM

15 Nothing that goes into someone from outside can make that person unclean; it is the things that come out of someone that make that person unclean.

21 For it is from within, from the heart, that evil intentions emerge: fornication, theft, murder,

22 adultery, avarice, malice, deceit, indecency, envy, slander, pride, folly.

23 All these evil things come from within and make a person unclean.’

From Mark 15, 21-23

Iblis on September 9, 2015 at 11:09 AM

Conclusion: the point of your question is invalid.

listens2glenn on September 9, 2015 at 10:30 AM

Can you show me a Biblical quotation which says we should not use certain plants for food or medicine?

weedisgood on September 9, 2015 at 11:10 AM

Sigh. We can call ourselves anything we want, but that doesn’t make it true.

JoseQuinones on September 9, 2015 at 11:13 AM

“I’m Christian, but I’m not…”

… modest?

I’m not saying people should be dressing like Mennonites or anything, but is there anything more undermining than saying “please take me seriously” and then bringing that much attention to your “holy sacraments”?

What do you mean by narcotics?
Do you know weed is a plant made by God himself?

What’s wrong with using a plant created by God?

weedisgood on September 9, 2015 at 10:05 AM

Good point.

Do yourself a favor, go out and find yourself a water hemlock and munch on that for a while.

The plant was created by God, so I’m sure everything will turn out fine.

The Schaef on September 9, 2015 at 11:13 AM

My rule on qualifiers: Everything before the “but” is a lie and everything after is the truth.

chrisbolts on September 9, 2015 at 11:19 AM

For a bunch of non-judgmental people, I see a lot of judging going on there.

munseym on September 8, 2015 at 10:11 PM

Never let it be said of me that I am a non-judgmental person.

God judges you at the Throne, and it will include your whole life. I see no reason why I cannot judge what I see of you.

nobar on September 9, 2015 at 11:41 AM

I posted a comment on YouTube and will probably get flamed for it, but that’s okay. Apparently none of the people in the video are familiar with the passage in Luke (18:11).

MsYoung on September 9, 2015 at 11:45 AM

These are just people wanting to be liked. Kinda like “You can behead me if it makes you happy.”

TerryW on September 9, 2015 at 12:24 PM

As soon as a person says “I am a Christian BUT…” I know it is time to roll the eyes. Reminds of me of Demi Lavoto who claims to be a Christian and prays before concerts yet did a video on how she wants to try out some same sex action. Can I assume these are the “United Church” variant of Christians?

Faramir on September 9, 2015 at 12:33 PM

These Christians think they make the rules of the religion. They are idiots!

God makes the rules and he burned the gays in Sodom and Gomorrah. He detests homosexuality with a passion.

You can’t be a Christian and pro-gay “anything” at the same time. It’s either one or the other!

weedisgood on September 8, 2015 at 8:25 PM

Poster Boy!
Your marijuana addled brain always seems to be so confused.

For someone who supposedly doesn’t believe in God, or as you disdainfully like to say, skypappy. You sure seem to worry about Him and those that believe in Him. Do you spend as much time worrying about the people who believe in Santa Claus, Unicorns and UFO’s?

If, as you pretend to believe, God doesn’t exist, why worry about it so much?

You don’t believe in God, but you think He gave you permission to smoke pot because He made it.

Keep tokin’ your mind won’t get more clear, but you will remain blissfully unaware.

Neitherleftorright on September 9, 2015 at 12:33 PM

Passive-aggressive leftism claiming a faith, and judging the conservative position of that faith.

I am a Christian, because I discovered that God loves me, in spite of me, and freed me from the worst of me through Jesus Christ. If being gay, or promiscuous, or a drunkard, or a criminal, was part of who I was, I would have walked away from those things because of Him. I was many other things of which I am ashamed, and I walked away from those things, because of Him. To claim that you love Him, but won’t give up those things about you which He hates, is to be a liar.

Every wise woman buildeth her house: but the foolish plucketh it down with her hands.
He that walketh in his uprightness feareth the Lord: but he that is perverse in his ways despiseth him.
In the mouth of the foolish is a rod of pride: but the lips of the wise shall preserve them.
Where no oxen are, the crib is clean: but much increase is by the strength of the ox.
A faithful witness will not lie: but a false witness will utter lies.
A scorner seeketh wisdom, and findeth it not: but knowledge is easy unto him that understandeth.
Go from the presence of a foolish man, when thou perceivest not in him the lips of knowledge.
The wisdom of the prudent is to understand his way: but the folly of fools is deceit.
Fools make a mock at sin: but among the righteous there is favour.
The heart knoweth his own bitterness; and a stranger doth not intermeddle with his joy.
The house of the wicked shall be overthrown: but the tabernacle of the upright shall flourish.
There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.
Even in laughter the heart is sorrowful; and the end of that mirth is heaviness.
The backslider in heart shall be filled with his own ways: and a good man shall be satisfied from himself.
The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.
A wise man feareth, and departeth from evil: but the fool rageth, and is confident.
He that is soon angry dealeth foolishly: and a man of wicked devices is hated.
The simple inherit folly: but the prudent are crowned with knowledge.
The evil bow before the good; and the wicked at the gates of the righteous.
The poor is hated even of his own neighbour: but the rich hath many friends.
He that despiseth his neighbour sinneth: but he that hath mercy on the poor, happy is he.
Do they not err that devise evil? but mercy and truth shall be to them that devise good.
In all labour there is profit: but the talk of the lips tendeth only to penury.
The crown of the wise is their riches: but the foolishness of fools is folly.
A true witness delivereth souls: but a deceitful witness speaketh lies.
In the fear of the Lord is strong confidence: and his children shall have a place of refuge.
The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life, to depart from the snares of death.
In the multitude of people is the king’s honour: but in the want of people is the destruction of the prince.
He that is slow to wrath is of great understanding: but he that is hasty of spirit exalteth folly.
A sound heart is the life of the flesh: but envy the rottenness of the bones.
He that oppresseth the poor reproacheth his Maker: but he that honoureth him hath mercy on the poor.
The wicked is driven away in his wickedness: but the righteous hath hope in his death.
Wisdom resteth in the heart of him that hath understanding: but that which is in the midst of fools is made known.
Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people.
The king’s favour is toward a wise servant: but his wrath is against him that causeth shame.

~ Proverbs 14

Freelancer on September 9, 2015 at 12:50 PM

listens2glenn on September 9, 2015 at 1:41 AM

Indeed. Everyone on the video, at least at face value, would be acquitted for lack of evidence, and appears to be making sure that is the case.

Christianity is NOT about how you live. How a Christian lives is established only to prevent easy accusations by those whom they seek to bring to a saving knowledge of Jesus. The fact that I don’t and won’t commit adultery, or rob banks, or misbehave at work, isn’t a proof, or even an evidence of my faith. It is a defense against the charge of hypocrisy. Nothing more. I choose to honor God in part, by choosing not to embarrass His name by association with me. But none of that is Christianity.

My acceptance of His sacrifice on the cross, and my willingness to declare that to others, my willingness to give what He asks in service to spreading the Gospel, that is my Christianity. When someone accuses a Christian of failing their faith because of some behavior which is inconsistent with the Bible, they are not accusing God, nor Jesus, nor Christianity. They are merely repeating that humans are imperfect.

Freelancer on September 9, 2015 at 1:04 PM

As a long time Christian who has made her share of mistakes, I have found that any Christian who tries to walk the fence between the world and Jesus Christ usually ends up with a self inflicted wound.

You’re either a Christian or you’re not. Unlike this world full of confusion and gray areas, it’s pretty black and white when it comes to Christ.

kozanne on September 9, 2015 at 1:21 PM

The difference between people who believe in Santa Claus, Unicorns and/or UFO’s and Christian Conservatives is that the former lack the numbers and/or will to harm non-believers and deprive them of rights.

The comment section on this post only serves to demonstrate that the venn diagram of “true” Christians and people who don’t hate women, gays, non-believers, etc is two circles.

It does seem that in order to be a “true” Christian one has to believe that men and women are fundamentally different with the latter being inferior to the former. One must believe that gays should be deprived of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Moreover, one must believe and pursue policy positions to deprive gays, women, non-believers etc. of unabridged rights while simultaneously claiming that you don’t hate gays, women, non-believers etc., at least ISIS has the decency of admitting they do in fact hate gays, women, non-believers etc..

James Edward on September 9, 2015 at 1:32 PM

Happy Nomad on September 8, 2015 at 11:44 PM

Let’s consider remarriage after a divorce. A person who remarries while the spouse of their first covenant marriage is still living is called an adulterer by Jesus and the Apostle Paul. They do NOT call that a marriage, but adultery. So, it is an unlawful marriage, not recognized by God. How is that any different than a gay marriage that is not recognized by God? Will you leave your church when they marry adulterers in your sanctuary? If you allow one, you should allow the other, or disallow both.

tiptopsaidhe on September 9, 2015 at 1:39 PM

What do you mean by narcotics?
Do you know weed is a plant made by God himself?

What’s wrong with using a plant created by God?

weedisgood on September 9, 2015 at 10:05 AM

Interestingly, the New Testament Greek word translated “sorcery” is pharmakeia, which is the source of our English word pharmacy. In Paul’s day, the word primarily meant “dealing in poison” or “drug use” and was applied to divination and spell-casting because sorcerers often used drugs along with their incantations and amulets to conjure occult power.

Sorcerers were common in the culture of ancient Egypt (Exodus 7:11; Isaiah 19:3). We also see sorcery in the kingdom of Babylon, especially in association with King Nebuchadnezzar (Jeremiah 27:9; Daniel 2:2).

Sorcery is an attempt to bypass God’s wisdom and power and give glory to Satan instead. God has no tolerance for sorcery. In Deuteronomy 18:10-12, sorcery is listed among the sinful practices of the nations surrounding Israel. God calls it an abomination: “There shall not be found among you . . . anyone who practices divination or tells fortunes or interprets omens, or a sorcerer or a charmer or a medium or a necromancer or one who inquires of the dead, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the LORD. And because of these abominations the LORD your God is driving them out before you.”

Malachi also speaks of God’s judgment on those involved in sorcery: “Then I will draw near to you for judgment. I will be a swift witness against the sorcerers” (Malachi 3:5).

Apparently, sorcery will still be practiced in the end times. Spiritual Babylon, representing the false religious system of the last days, will deceive “all nations” with sorcery (Revelation 18:23) before judgment falls.

The book of Revelation says that sorcerers “will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death” (Revelation 21:8; see also Revelation 22:15). GotQuestions

tiptopsaidhe on September 9, 2015 at 1:51 PM

tiptopsaidhe on September 9, 2015 at 1:39 PM

So are you approaching this based on some information that leads you to believe that Nomad supports this position? Or are you just fishing for some reason to discredit his intent?

The Schaef on September 9, 2015 at 1:57 PM

“I’m a Christian… but I don’t believe in supernatural miracles, especially the resurrection”.

V-rod on September 9, 2015 at 2:05 PM

listens2glenn on September 9, 2015 at 1:41 AM

Well said.

kozanne on September 9, 2015 at 2:07 PM

There is something particularly wicked and sinister about gay relationships. Heterosexual sex is at least recognized as a moral choice in the right circumstances. Homosexuality never is.

Back to my church. If my church pastor came out and said he thinks God loves the idea of us divorcing and getting remarried, then I would look into getting a new pastor or leaving that Church, most definitely. We can split hairs on this forever if you wish, but tiptops example is pure nonsense.

Faramir on September 9, 2015 at 2:16 PM

Oh snap! You got served, son!

The Schaef on September 9, 2015 at 2:39 PM

What do you want people to know about Christianity?

Not one mentioned Christ….

I would guess these youngsters are Christ followers in so much as they follow his teachings as a philosopher. The whole died on the cross, resurrection, be in the world but not of the world thing is not their focus.

They just want to be liked.

jjjdad on September 9, 2015 at 2:57 PM

The faggotry of religion continues apace.

thejackal on September 9, 2015 at 2:59 PM

We are all sinners.

None are righteous, no not one.

The wages of sin is death. The second death. The death of the spirit.

Christ lived a sinless life, although he was tempted in all things as we are.

Christ died, was buried, and rose on the third day. He has power over death.

Christ paid the death payment owed for our sin.

The gift of God is eternal life, through Jesus Christ our Lord.

A gift has to be accepted before it is yours.

Accept God’s gift while you can, today. Accept Jesus Christ today as the one who died to save you. Accept that he died for you and that he rose again. Repent of your sins and let the Lord fill you. Do it. Today.

Immolate on September 9, 2015 at 3:28 PM

Christianity is NOT about how you live.

Freelancer on September 9, 2015 at 1:04 PM

How can you say this after looking at the NT? Have you ever read James 2:14-26? lol :)

Christians are taught to disassociate from those who call themselves brothers and sisters when they refuse to repent of their sins…what you are saying here is nonsense.

Anti-ControI on September 9, 2015 at 4:57 PM

The Schaef on September 9, 2015 at 1:57 PM

Not at all, nor looking to discredit his intent. Just hoping to point out that standing for lawful marriage in God’s name means standing for it in all forms. We don’t get to stand on our “christian” values to keep out one type of marriage, while our ignorance of covenant marriage allows us to perform another type of unlawful marriage. That’s hypocrisy. Remarriage after divorce is no more allowed than is gay marriage. Just curious as to see if we are willing to leave a church over one type but not the other.

Faramir on September 9, 2015 at 2:16 PM

It’s hardly nonsense, and definitely not splitting hairs. I doubt your church denies marrying those who are divorced, while a covenant spouse is still living. It happens all the time. Cake bakers stand on their “religious beliefs” about providing for gay weddings, yet never ask if a hetero couple is marrying into a covenant or into adultery.

tiptopsaidhe on September 9, 2015 at 4:58 PM

And if he isn’t, what then?

tiptopsaidhe on September 9, 2015 at 4:58 PM

Based on what evidence?

The Schaef on September 9, 2015 at 5:05 PM

And if he isn’t, what then?

Wouldn’t that be the definition of hypocrisy? Or because we can’t identify with one, and can with the other, do we make allowance for one over the other?

tiptopsaidhe on September 9, 2015 at 4:58 PM

Based on what evidence?

The Schaef on September 9, 2015 at 5:05 PM

The evidence is that there are many mixed families sitting in the pews of every church in America, and there are parents and siblings in every church pew that are affected by it in their families. Reflect on your Thanksgiving table and take note of how many of your own have forgotten their vows they made to a first, just to make them to another. You can continue to be pedantic and donnish, but the reality is that God’s people perish every day for lack of knowledge. As Christians, we should embrace this gay marriage conversation because it will help refine the truth about what God had in mind when He instituted covenant marriage. The terms are set: one man to one woman…for life, and they aren’t up for negotiation. That means if we divorce, we wait until the terms of the covenant are finished at the death of one before we move on to another. We are to reflect Christ’s covenant-keeping with His Church.

tiptopsaidhe on September 9, 2015 at 5:56 PM

Christianity is NOT about how you live.
Freelancer on September 9, 2015 at 1:04 PM

Anti-ControI on September 9, 2015 at 4:57 PM

Christianity is the re-establishing (by way of the ‘new birth’) of a PERSONAL, one-on-one, INTERACTIVE … relationship … with the living God.
Exactly how, and to what degree you individually, personally interact with God (after receiving the “born again” experience), is up to you … but that’s what Christianity is … that’s what Jesus won back for us … the capability of approaching the heavenly father (in prayer), with a complete, total sense of belonging there, with Him.

And if God should approach us, we don’t have to run and hide ourselves in shame, because we’re “naked.”
That’s what Christianity is.

listens2glenn on September 9, 2015 at 6:32 PM

That’s what Christianity is.

listens2glenn on September 9, 2015 at 6:32 PM

Christianity:

If you love me, keep my commands. -John 14:15

Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. -John 14:21

Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching.” -John 14:23

Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching. -John 14:24

Anti-ControI on September 9, 2015 at 6:49 PM

Wouldn’t that be the definition of hypocrisy

Suppose it did. How does that bear on his statement?

tiptopsaidhe on September 9, 2015 at 5:56 PM

Extrapolation is not evidence. Based on the fact that there are some families of second marriage in some churches, you employ the dangerous term “every”, and assume (without providing evidence) that his church also has them, and as an even bigger leap, their presence there is proof that specific church/pastor solemnized their marriage.

The Schaef on September 9, 2015 at 8:10 PM

That’s what Christianity is.
listens2glenn on September 9, 2015 at 6:32 PM

Christianity:

If you love me, keep my commands. -John 14:15

Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. -John 14:21

Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching.” -John 14:23

Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching. -John 14:24
Anti-ControI on September 9, 2015 at 6:49 PM

Everything you’ve listed, comes after being “born again.”
You don’t receive the “born again” experience, by first keeping Jesus’ commandments.

Not until after you have established a relationship with God, will He work on your spiritual maturity, and obedience.

However, if you fail to follow His guidance into spiritual maturity, and obedience, it will cost you reward in Heaven, and may shorten your earthly life, in the “here-‘n’-now” … but, it will not cause you to lose your salvation.

listens2glenn on September 9, 2015 at 9:33 PM

Moralistic Therapeutic Deism is not Christianity.

OrdinaryAverageGuy on September 9, 2015 at 12:15 AM

No, it’s definitely not.

The_Jacobite on September 10, 2015 at 12:54 AM

That was one sorry montage…

bandarlog on September 10, 2015 at 3:29 AM

James Edward on September 9, 2015 at 1:32 PM

Wow… how does it feel to have no idea what you’re talking about?

psrch on September 10, 2015 at 11:21 AM

Wow… how does it feel to have no idea what you’re talking about?

What is there to not understand.

Most if not nearly all of the commenters on this post agree that the people in the video are not “true” Christians.

I concur.

If someone doesn’t hate gays, women, and/or non-believers one can not be a true Christian.

Christians also tend to be unable to admit they hate gays, women, and/or non-believers, despite favoring policy which discriminates against them. This makes them cowards in comparison to Muslims who gays, women, and/or non-believers but actively admit this hatred.

James Edward on September 10, 2015 at 2:50 PM

The sad fact is that these on this video who “profess” to be Christians give absolutely no basis for that profession, which is that Jesus CHRIST lived and died and raised from the dead to forgive them and all who will believe in Him for their sin that they might be with Him forever after. All the other babbling is merely incidental to the very HEART of the faith, CHRIST. See http://www.desiringGod.org and the free pdf books “God is the Gospel” and “Desiring God.” There are also many other very valuable helps there.

russedav on September 11, 2015 at 5:01 PM