Hot Air exclusive: Scott Walker speaks out on cop murders and American leadership

posted at 4:41 pm on September 2, 2015 by Ed Morrissey

Hot Air is pleased to provide Governor Scott Walker with an opportunity to speak directly to voters in this guest column.

We Need a Uniter-in-Chief, Not a Divider-in-Chief

By Gov. Scott Walker

Over the last week, we’ve seen a disturbing trend of police officers being murdered on the job. Texas Sheriff’s Deputy Darren Goforth was killed Friday, gunned down while pumping gas for no apparent reason other than the uniform on his back. And just yesterday, in my neighboring state of Illinois, police Lt. Charles Joseph Gliniewicz was assassinated by three men, who are still on the run.

This isn’t the America I grew up in or that I want my children to grow up in. When the very people responsible for keeping us safe are targeted because they are law enforcement officials, we have a serious problem.

In the last six years under President Obama, we’ve seen a rise in anti-police rhetoric. Instead of hope and change, we’ve seen racial tensions worsen and a tendency to use law enforcement as a scapegoat. This kind of attitude has created a culture in which we all too often see demonstrations and chants where people describe police as “pigs” and call for them to be “fried like bacon.” This inflammatory and disgusting rhetoric has real consequences for the safety of officers who put their lives on the line for us and hampers their ability to serve the communities that need their help.

In Wisconsin we acted to protect both police officers and citizens through a first-in-the-nation law that requires an independent investigation when a suspect dies in police custody.

And I will continue to support efforts to ensure officers receive proper training at the local level to help make sure force is only used in appropriate circumstances.

But we must do more to protect those who protect us. Police officers across this country need to know that we have their back. As I’ve done throughout my career, I will continue to have the backs of police officers, sheriff’s deputies, and state troopers and treat them with the respect they deserve.

After years of division under President Obama, America needs a leader who will seek to unite all Americans. Instead of focusing on what divides us, we need to concentrate on what brings us together. No law enforcement officer should fear to do their job the way he or she was trained to do it, and no law-abiding citizen should fear for their safety from those sworn to protect us.

We need to change the tone in America from chants and rallies that fixate on racial division and instead follow the example of the families of the victims of the Charleston shooting, who showed us the best path forward is through unity. As president, that’s what I’m going to do to make us a united America once again.

Hot Air will be happy to provide other presidential candidates an open forum for guest essays as well.

Comments

Bmore.

Now to repeat since it will be lost on the bottom of the last page:

Walker is our generation’s Reagan and will still be the nominee if people come to their senses.

The Left is terrified of him.

While others have promised and talked, promised and talked, Walker has been in the trenches. Only Walker has delivered, at great personal cost. What he has endured with character and talent is greater than any American politician since Reagan.

The Right does not need to worry that Walker is a closet liberal, unlike the loud-mouth hypocrite and crony capitalist — the Don Rickels of American politics, who insults everyone who might dare disagree with him and who cannot take the heat from an attractive 40-something blonde.

matthew8787 on September 2, 2015 at 5:42 PM

Unfortunately, I think you’re wrong.

He’s delivered on some things, but (currently) he’s showing himself weak-willed in an existential battle for the nation. (The unchecked illegal invasion from our southern border.)

Further, and executives most important qualification is the ability to pick good people to work for him. Walker’s campaign shows a deficit in that area, as well.

I wanted to like Walker, but he’s under-performed badly.

makattak on September 3, 2015 at 10:24 AM

makattak on September 3, 2015 at 10:27 AM

A public hanging would be a start.

mixplix on September 3, 2015 at 11:10 AM

Scott Walker… LOL… He was only elected three times governor of Wisconsin by millions of people and he thinks that he can run for President?… What are his qualifications? What a joke… Our supreme leader Trump was not elected to anything but yet he is the most qualified person ever to be President and we are so blessed as a country that he decided to be President of us mortals… It is true that he has been a long time liberal democrat donor endorsing liberal ideas until just few years ago and he still endorses a lot of liberal ideas but so what? We have to believe in HIM… He is our Savior…

mnjg on September 2, 2015 at 5:07 PM

I took this as satire. No one else did?

cptacek on September 2, 2015 at 11:54 PM

I agree. It is quite funny, huh.

sohumm on September 3, 2015 at 11:29 AM

makattak on September 3, 2015 at 10:27 AM

Hey Walker, I understand that you may not have as many connections with GOP elite class, compared to the Bush family. However, it might help if you are able to show that you have connections with conservative think tanks, such as the Heritage Foundation. Being an Asian immigrant, I myself do not always agree with everything that Heritage promotes; however, Heritage is denifintely a strong link between grassroots conservatives and strategic planning. People there are very nice.

Also, my republican mentor now works for the Hoover Institute in CA, while he helps to build connections between conservative-leaning academic scholars and DC politicians.

I have confidence in you. I think you have a potential to help unify our party, and you can certainly do so much better than Prince Jeb Bush and his powerful Bush family.

Best luck to you! Hope you can be successful and become our next president!

sohumm on September 3, 2015 at 12:36 PM

WalkerRubioBush is the CoC puppet

kunegetikos on September 3, 2015 at 1:18 PM

This is weak tea yammering from a guy who is the equivalent of Bush III and will use his office to repay his mega donors

kunegetikos on September 3, 2015 at 1:20 PM

Hi Gov. Walker, There will be a GOP presidential debate at University of Colorado Boulder on Wednesday, October 28th. I will call your campaign office next week and find out whether I have the opportunity to come to see you when you are staying in CO. I may bring a few close friends who are local tea-party leader, conservative talk show host, as well as friends who may like you enough to attend Colorado’s primary caucus for you.

sohumm on September 3, 2015 at 2:27 PM

I like Scott Walker, Donald Trump, and Ted Cruz, and hope one of them can become our next president. However, for now, Walker is my first choice for a number of reasons.

After all, Colorado is a purple state that is trending blue and is difficult to win. It was indeed a lot of work and effort that my Republcian friends and I had to put in when Senator Cory Gardner was able to defeat Mark Udall and win the state-wide election last year.

We will give it our best try no matter what.

sohumm on September 3, 2015 at 2:42 PM

I have to disagree with Walker re. his statement supporting police. The police are not around to “keep us safe;” the police are around to enforce the law thereby promoting a stable society. It is up to the individual to ensure their safety. In addition, Walker takes 100 words to address a problem that only requires a few: killing police officers is wrong if they aren’t trying to unjustifiably kill you.

I’m tired of the sloganeering and ambiguous platitudes about “what brings us together.” Here’s a tip Scott, tell us what you stand for and argue for your principles with passion. Explain why your principles are the right principles for America. If you do this, you might have the same traction as Donald Trump. Many people mistake The Donald’s street fighter attitude for passionate principled opposition when in reality he’s a capitalist Barack Obama. I loved seeing The Donald kick the RNC in the teeth but I’m smart enough to realize that he has no principles or passion. Now that’s he’s part of the GOPe with his oath of fealty, I fail to see how conservatives can continue support them if another passionate, principled fighter rises to the ocassion.

Speakeasy on September 4, 2015 at 12:13 AM

Not quite.

I agree that individuals are the best arbiters of their own safety. However safety is a primary goal of a stable society; it is part of the meaning of stability. Stability through safety is one reason there are police.

It is easy to understand for what Scott Walker stands. He’s said it many times.

Scott Walker stands for smaller government.

ignatzk on September 4, 2015 at 2:19 AM