Video: The Bobby Jindal push-up challenge

posted at 6:01 pm on August 5, 2015 by Allahpundit

Consider my earlier suspicions confirmed: Before much longer, possibly even before the end of August, every marginal Republican running for president will do a viral video bit for some clickbait-y mega-site. First came Carly Fiorina’s sly spoof of sexism in the workplace for BuzzFeed, then came Lindsey Graham smashing up his phone for the IJ Review after Trump doxxed him. The IJR came back with Ted Cruz cooking bacon on the barrel of his AR-15, an ante-upper insofar as Cruz isn’t nearly as marginal as those other two candidates. How would BuzzFeed, with its vast audience, respond? I was expecting a hot-dog-eating contest between Jeb Bush and Marco Rubio, or maybe a dunk tank featuring Donald Trump, but no. They went back to the marginals and landed Bobby Jindal for a push-up challenge, the logic of which escapes me. Fiorina’s video was a commentary on her career as a pathbreaking CEO; Graham’s video showed his good humor after being pranked by Trump; Cruz’s video winked at his reputation as a grassroots firebreather. Jindal’s video … really just has him doing push-ups. You could have swapped in any other candidate without much difficulty. Maybe we’ve now reached the point where low-polling candidates feel obliged to accept any offer they get from a viral site to try to raise their name recognition, even if the stunt they’re being invited to perform is generic. Makes me wonder how the negotiations for these things go between the campaign and the website. Did BuzzFeed offer Jindal a choice between the push-ups and, say, getting hit in the face with a bunch of cream pies, and he chose this? Or did he actually propose this format himself? At this stage of American idiocracy, push-ups really might be the fastest way for a Rhodes scholar turned congressman turned governor to get noticed by young adults.

Actually, I should probably put “push-ups” in quotes. Unless that chest touches the floor, they don’t really count, son. Exit question: The inevitable Rick Perry viral video is going to be the most humiliating yet, isn’t it? If he was willing to pick a fight with Trump for weeks in hopes of getting attention, I wouldn’t rule out a cream-pies-to-the-face stunt later if it comes to that.

Comments

Not worth the time to watch. Trust me on this.

Bmore on August 5, 2015 at 6:02 PM

Hey, at least with machine gun bacon, you get bacon.

Bmore on August 5, 2015 at 6:05 PM

Still waiting for the Trump vs. Hillary golf challenge.

Christien on August 5, 2015 at 6:06 PM

Unless that chest touches the floor, they don’t really count, son.

Not at all. In a legitimate push-up the chest never touches the floor but it has to come within 3 inches of the floor and the head and back have to remain straight throughout the whole process. For fingertip pushups the chest only has to come within 6 inches of the floor.

Those are true push-ups.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on August 5, 2015 at 6:11 PM

Per army push up standards your chest doesn’t have to touch the floor.

JamesB on August 5, 2015 at 6:12 PM

Next up: Rick Perry out on the firing range shooting Trump dolls off a log with an AR-15 wearing nothing but his smart-glasses, black grease paint and combat boots.

“It’s a winner, first tier here we come!” — Steve Schmidt

otlset on August 5, 2015 at 6:13 PM

Those are true push-ups.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on August 5, 2015 at 6:11 PM

How many can you do ThePrimordialOrderedPair ? At once?

Bmore on August 5, 2015 at 6:13 PM

Bobby Jindal for a push-up challenge, the logic of which escapes me.

Bobby’s real first name is Piyush.

Piyush-ups, get it?

Emperor Norton on August 5, 2015 at 6:14 PM

So we are heading towards “Jackass – The Republican Edition “?

Terrific

HotAirian on August 5, 2015 at 6:14 PM

You can tell when the fear of utter failure has set in on these wannabes.

they lie on August 5, 2015 at 6:16 PM

“It’s a winner, first tier here we come!” — Steve Schmidt

otlset on August 5, 2015 at 6:13 PM

Lolz!

Bmore on August 5, 2015 at 6:16 PM

I really like the Rhodes Scholar Jindal, but I’m a minute into the video and I hear the question:

“Do you think you’re overlooking Obamacare and taxes today?”

Of course this is in jest and all is good but what about not overlooking the issue that since Trump’s announcement has become exponentially more paramount than all the others: IMMIGRATION?

It’s hard for Jindal because he’s for amnesty and WAY MORE legal immigration. And I don’t like bringing this up because otherwise I like Jindal so much.

Let’s hear: “illegal immigration is down.” That should have been one of the only competitor.

anotherJoe on August 5, 2015 at 6:17 PM

How many can you do ThePrimordialOrderedPair ? At once?

Bmore on August 5, 2015 at 6:13 PM

I do fingertip push-ups as my sole exercise (they are the best exercise one can do!). I used to do 75 a day (in one clip, as that’s the only way it matters) but I’ve run into serious elbow problems and can’t do the reps anymore so now I’m reduced to doing holding fingertips (held at the bottom for ten seconds) and I only do 8 a day with a few regular ones to fill in at the end. It’s just good enough to keep the power in my golf swing.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on August 5, 2015 at 6:17 PM

I’ll never forget my dad the first time I brought my girlfriend over. He dropped and did 100 real ones–at over age 60. USAFR, baby! Then he told her to help out and clean the bathroom.

Christien on August 5, 2015 at 6:19 PM

Those are true push-ups.

Yes, but to make it easier, he removed his pocket protector.

Emperor Norton on August 5, 2015 at 6:21 PM

*sigh* I can’t stand our “I must be entertained!!!” culture. That a man with Bobby Jindal’s qualifications can’t get noticed without silly gimmicks is a worse reflection on voters than on him for being willing to do it. And I knew SOTU response was going to be the toughest one. Whatever…

Jindal 2016!

pannw on August 5, 2015 at 6:21 PM

Unless that chest touches the floor, they don’t really count, son.

Those are true push-ups.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on August 5, 2015 at 6:11 PM

I would like to concur with Primoridial; he is correct on this. And I’d like to note that my three brothers who voted for Obama put together cannot do half as many pushups as I can.

radjah shelduck on August 5, 2015 at 6:22 PM

You know who this helps? JEB!

Nah! Just kidding! This helps TRUMP!!!!

Augustinian on August 5, 2015 at 6:24 PM

I’m sure whatever video Perry comes up will be cringe-inducing, phony, forced and way too obvious.

Dongemaharu on August 5, 2015 at 6:25 PM

Emperor Norton on August 5, 2015 at 6:14 PM

Clever. Any funny ones about his wife? Supriyas us.

Christien on August 5, 2015 at 6:25 PM

@pannw

Well said.

Aizen on August 5, 2015 at 6:26 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on August 5, 2015 at 6:17 PM

I hear ya! I can still manage 50, but the age thingy and injuries of a life fully lived have caught up to me. ; )

Bmore on August 5, 2015 at 6:26 PM

Good, clean fun. Lighten up, Francises.

Christien on August 5, 2015 at 6:27 PM

Still waiting for the Trump vs. Hillary golf challenge.

Christien on August 5, 2015 at 6:06 PM

But that wouldn’t be new or fresh.
No doubt they’ve been on many greens together throughout the years, having a grand time.

itsnotaboutme on August 5, 2015 at 6:28 PM

Bobby’s real first name is Piyush.

Piyush-ups, get it?

Emperor Norton on August 5, 2015 at 6:14 PM

Clever!

They should’ve used that.

itsnotaboutme on August 5, 2015 at 6:29 PM

itsnotaboutme on August 5, 2015 at 6:28 PM

So? What you got, Holmes?

Christien on August 5, 2015 at 6:30 PM

Christie vs Clinton: Truffle Shuffle-Off

Christien on August 5, 2015 at 6:31 PM

Jindal 2016!

pannw on August 5, 2015 at 6:21 PM

I’m with ya, but hope is dimming…
Seems like we’ll have to hope for a Jindal VP slot.
Cruz/Jindal would be cool.

itsnotaboutme on August 5, 2015 at 6:33 PM

If I were running I’d do a “I can stand in a 120 mph wind and not have my hair blow off.”

Dusty on August 5, 2015 at 6:33 PM

Someone should do a video of Christie asking him what he’ll do for a Klondike Bar.

OliverB on August 5, 2015 at 6:52 PM

I got another one. Rick Perry and Jeff Foxworthy doing “Are you Smarter than a 5th Grader?”

OliverB on August 5, 2015 at 7:00 PM

Do one with Hillary driving the Beltway at rush hour.

Christien on August 5, 2015 at 7:04 PM

I got another one. Somebody do one with Biden working the counter at 7-11 and Dunkin Donuts.

Christien on August 5, 2015 at 7:06 PM

Hillary’s would be thinking of a e-mail password and coming up with”hotrod”.

OliverB on August 5, 2015 at 7:09 PM

I got one! A video asking people who George Pataki is and universally getting the response, “The dude that played Mr. Sulu on Star Trek.”

OliverB on August 5, 2015 at 7:16 PM

A little sad, also not great form.

I like Jindal but I think this shows yet again that the political class is utterly clueless in terms of lessons that should be gleaned from Trump.

They apparently think Trump is doing well in the polls because the voters are borderline-retarded (don’t know if that word is allowed), and want to turn politics into some sort of monster truck show.

Jindal would be far better off to ditch the consultants, stop using “political speech” and truly bash Jeb!, McConnell, Boehner and others.

If Jindal attacked Jeb! in the way that Perry attacked Trump, he would easily have qualified for the debate. It would be out of character for him, though. And I do think Jindal is a very smart guy.

Redstone on August 5, 2015 at 7:21 PM

Per army push up standards your chest doesn’t have to touch the floor.
JamesB on August 5, 2015 at 6:12 PM

Sure has changed from my day. In my day, the PT test scorer put his hand under your chest and you had to smack it good with your chest to get that pushup counted.

Merely tickling it with a drooping shirt didn’t count.

LegendHasIt on August 5, 2015 at 7:22 PM

Ooooo, Ooooo. O’Malley doing a Freedom Rock paid advertisement–not available in stores.

Christien on August 5, 2015 at 7:24 PM

May I suggest Jim Webb dressed up as the roaming gnome across Iowa.

OliverB on August 5, 2015 at 7:35 PM

Bill would like someone to ask him to do a “Cheat On Your Spouse Challenge.”

No, he really would. Just ask him.

Dusty on August 5, 2015 at 7:36 PM

I got one for John Kasich. Scene: He goes into BestCuts and says, “Give me the usual.”

OliverB on August 5, 2015 at 7:47 PM

The Army and Air Force standard is to go down until your elbows are at a 90-degree angle.

If you let a soldier put his chest on the ground, then he can get away with resting down there.

There Goes the Neighborhood on August 5, 2015 at 7:48 PM

Pretty good form by Jindal, perhaps he could have come down another inch of two, should have ditched the tie.

How many, Allahpundit? Two? Three? Pull ups, I say zero.

Mr. Arkadin on August 5, 2015 at 8:38 PM

In the army you only have to go down far enough that your upper arms are parallel to the ground. You don’t have to touch your chest to the ground. That said, He wasn’t even close. Those were terrible push-ups.

jhffmn on August 5, 2015 at 9:11 PM

Mr. Arkadin on August 5, 2015 at 8:38 PM

I’m a woman(looks down shirt to make sure) and I can do 20 guys push ups.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 5, 2015 at 9:24 PM

Well, they’re not the best push ups I’ve ever seen. Then again, Bernie would have a stroke after push up number one, and Hillary wouldn’t even be able to get down on the floor so everything is relative.

eyedoc on August 6, 2015 at 9:22 AM

I was expecting a hot-dog-eating contest between Jeb Bush and Marco Rubio

Based on the Nathan Hog Dog winners body shapes, Jindal would actually destroy Rubio, Bush and especially Christie in a eating contest.

LoganSix on August 6, 2015 at 9:27 AM

Please don’t vote for Jindal.

Sincerely, Louisiana GOP donors and supporters.

rock the casbah on August 6, 2015 at 3:18 PM