Ted Cruz on the Senate floor: Mitch McConnell’s a liar and our new majority is a cronyist fraud

posted at 2:41 pm on July 24, 2015 by Allahpundit

I’m not going to excerpt it for you, despite the length. You need to watch it all; if you can’t spare 20 minutes, at least watch the middle third where he gets into corporate cooptation of the one-party state. This is one of the most brutal attacks — not incorrect, mind you, just brutal — you’ll ever see by a senator on his colleagues, starting with his own majority leader. Sample quote: “[This majority] does get things done, but it listens to one and only one voice: That is, the voice of the Washington cartel, of the lobbyists on K Street, of the big money and big corporations.” This guy is talking about his own caucus.

Nominally, this speech is about McConnell’s betrayal of opponents of the Ex-Im bank and his Reid-esque procedural scam to block conservative amendments that could have jeopardized the Iran deal. What it really is, of course, is a campaign commercial for Cruz 2016 aimed at all the Trump voters he covets but who prefer someone (for the moment) who stands outside the political class. This is Cruz’s way of showing them that not only is he willing to throw punches at the establishment too, he hits much harder than Trump does. The unspoken point is, “If you detest Washington and its endless corrupt excrescences, why would you support him instead of me?” Good question. I have no idea.

I wonder what Cruz is planning to do career-wise if his presidential campaign falls short. It’s hard to imagine him hanging around the Senate for decades, as it’ll be an even lonelier place for him after this than it already was. I assume he has his eye on a seat on an appellate court somewhere, either at the circuit level or SCOTUS itself, once a Republican’s back in the White House. Alienating the people who vote to confirm federal judges is an … interesting strategy, but maybe Cruz figures that a Senate Republican majority would be too scared of the base to reject him. Even if you dislike his style politically, there’s no question he’d be a staunch conservative as a judge. You deny the right another Scalia on the bench at your peril.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

But this was a great moment. I’ve never seen someone go against the leadership like that. Hopefully he keeps it up and makes some hay.

BoxHead1 on July 25, 2015 at 2:34 PM

Ted Cruz is the real deal.

Trump? Not so much.

AprilApple on July 25, 2015 at 2:45 PM

White House press secretary Josh Earnest said Thursday that Obama is adamant the Ex-Im Bank renewal should be included in the transportation funding bill, despite the objections from the GOP-led House.

more examples of obama reaching out to repubs, maybe he can take them to a movie to show them he’s really a nice guy, right Tlaloc?

aceinstall on July 25, 2015 at 3:24 PM

Cruz is brilliant, fearless and correct!

dpduq on July 25, 2015 at 6:52 PM

Cruz’ original vote for Obamatrade(I refuse to believe this smart guy was duped)his failure to rule out a path to legalization for illegals and his call for a huge increase in H1B visas,coupled with Trump’s populist message reall took a toll on Cruz’ presidential campaign.His poll #s nosedived.he has been kissing Trump’s behind and looking for “look how tough” I am moments ever since.This is clearly one of them.But it remains to be seen how much permanent damage has been done to the guy who was expected to carry the “purist” banner into this campaign.

redware on July 25, 2015 at 7:01 PM

Well, did McConnell lie or not?

That’s it.

Sherman1864 on July 25, 2015 at 7:13 PM

redware on July 25, 2015 at 7:01 PM

Who do you support for president??

Sherman1864 on July 25, 2015 at 7:19 PM

My take: one point off from Cruz.
Why?
Because he took so long to SAY it.

partsnlabor on July 25, 2015 at 7:38 PM

It’s why I’m for Trump. If I thought Cruz would win and achieve reform, I’d vote for him. But he’s more of an intellectual than an executive. I see him as the brains and Trump as the brawn who would actually get things done on the ground. Our party leadership after the 2014 wave election was the last straw. They handed the agenda over to Obama. I’m going for Trump all the way.

writeblock on July 26, 2015 at 3:27 AM

Go Cruz! :) :) :)

Theophile on July 26, 2015 at 3:44 AM

Cruz would be great on the Sup. Ct or Attorney General. Due to the trade and H1B vote, he dropped below Rand Paul, who was solid in that entire process. He came out at the beginning of the debate and said he was against it. Rand Paul is also much more electable. Tons of young people like Paul. Cruz is very much your classic pro-business Republican who might have a hard time breaking through to any other constituencies.

I’m sticking with Trump as top pick and really, the only pick for now; he’s the first nationalist to run in my lifetime. If he crashes and burns, I’ll have to try and figure out who to support.

cimbri on July 26, 2015 at 5:47 AM

I wish this was longer.

smilek on July 26, 2015 at 7:17 AM

Lets face it. The whole GOP are liars. If Cruz is elected president, there is enough progressives in both houses to override any of his vetoes

Brock Robamney on July 26, 2015 at 7:49 AM

Brock Robamney on July 26, 2015 at 7:49 AM

Fortunately, with this most recent administration, the precedent has been set for the higher office to dis-regard laws it doesn’t wish to implement.

I can see the same thing happening with a reform conservative president, who doesn’t wish to allow changes from a two-party collusion to take place.

FrankT on July 26, 2015 at 10:31 AM

He would make a great conservative President, but he might be better in the Supreme Court.

I just took a long plane trip and was reading Cruz’s book over my husband’s shoulder on his e-reader. It was a fairly interesting read. Cruz seems to have been enthralled with the Constitution since childhood. (He also seems to have spent a fair amount of his youth drunk and disorderly. Fortunately he seems to have outgrown that.)

We all have our priority belief systems-religions or pseudo religions. Cruz seems to have Constitutional principles at a near religious level with regard to their critical importance in his personal belief system, right after the Christian religion, with which there is a fair amount of overlap. He seems to be the real deal.

talkingpoints on July 26, 2015 at 1:01 PM

If Cruz is despised by the despicable (starting with Alexander and McConnell) then I admire him….

McConnell, Alexander, Boehner, et all are a big part of the problem.

HBowmanMD on July 26, 2015 at 11:17 PM

What AP says here, albeit obliquely, is that there is no room in the Republican Party for anyone who is not a cronyist sellout.

kunegetikos on July 27, 2015 at 11:27 AM

Give ’em hell Ted ! If it were only you sitting on the SCOTUS bench, instead of Roberts.

kjatexas on July 28, 2015 at 1:25 PM