Politinerds: Greg Gutfeld of Fox News

posted at 10:01 am on July 17, 2015 by Taylor Millard

PolitinerdsHotAir

It’s another episode of Politinerds with Jazz Shaw and Doug Mataconis. This week’s special guest is former Red Eye host (and current Gutfeld host) Greg Gutfeld!

Interested in how he got into political commentary? When did he become a conservative/libertarian? What was it like being at Berkeley? Why did he get into journalism? How did Red Eye get formed and when did he know he was going to do Gutfeld?

Remember, the show is now available on iTunes so you can catch up with us as soon as new episodes air. And for you non-iTunes users, there’s still the archive of all our previous shows.

Comments

I don’t have time to listen to a 27 minute interview right now. I will say that I enjoy seeing him on The Five on Fox News. His impish wit is biting.

SC.Charlie on July 17, 2015 at 10:14 AM

Might actually listen to this one, been a big fan since I first saw “Red Eye” in 07.

Redstone on July 17, 2015 at 10:28 AM

The Five is Alive!

OregonPolitician on July 17, 2015 at 10:31 AM

Gutfeld has the proper perspective on politics. It’s necessary, but there’s nothing noble about. Not these days. It’s just necessary, like emptying dumpsters once a week.

RBMN on July 17, 2015 at 10:40 AM

Being smart and quick minded does not make you right.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on July 17, 2015 at 10:55 AM

Love him but then I want to tell him to shut up when he goes adolescent on us.

Don L on July 17, 2015 at 11:01 AM

I will have to d/l this for later listen to, Jazz.

But a quick two-fer:

1 – I love the name for your network…but everytime I read it, I always see it as “VigilanteLibertyRadio”…either way, I’m okay with it…lol

2 – I like the hat you got on the graphic…where did you get it from?

That is all… :o)

BlaxPac on July 17, 2015 at 11:12 AM

The Five is Alive!

OregonPolitician on July 17, 2015 at 10:31 AM

It is a great show. I am sad that Bob Beckel had to be let go because of personal problems. Now, when they now use Geraldo, I cringe. I can’t stand the man. When I was younger I could tolerate him. Today I can’t.

SC.Charlie on July 17, 2015 at 11:23 AM

Redstone on July 17, 2015 at 10:28 AM

With you 100%

Remember in the first few years of Red Eye – you almost could not believe how daring that show was? So politically incorrect – it was the best.

Gutfeld is a great writer.

jake-the-goose on July 17, 2015 at 11:24 AM

Gutfeld was witty and cool…until he moved into Dana Perino’s panties apron pocket.

Now he is what Faux is, philosophically, and it had destroyed his brand. His new sow is a disaster.

Schadenfreude on July 17, 2015 at 11:35 AM

His new show, alas Freud :)

Schadenfreude on July 17, 2015 at 11:35 AM

With you 100%

Gutfeld is a great writer.

jake-the-goose on July 17, 2015 at 11:24 AM

From 2007 to 2013 it was outstanding, peak probably 2009-2012.

It lost a little bit of energy when Gutfeld went to the 5, then a little when Bill Schulz left, and a lot when Joanne was added.

On other shows Gutfeld might not be as good but he was really great on Red Eye in those years.

Redstone on July 17, 2015 at 12:01 PM

He will forever be great in my mind for his response to the idiots who wanted to plant a mosque at ground zero, when he leased the building next to the mosque site and announced he was opening a muslim gay bar in it. The left was nonplussed and the muzzies went crazy.

Angering two hate groups for the price of one = greatness.

MTF on July 17, 2015 at 12:03 PM

This thread tells how ‘popular’ Gutfeld is any more.

Schadenfreude on July 17, 2015 at 1:01 PM

Four hours later, fourteen comments (not including this meta-post); yeah, he’s real popular all right..

Fortyback on July 17, 2015 at 2:06 PM

Fortyback on July 17, 2015 at 2:06 PM

Politically he may not be that good.

He was really funny on Red Eye in its heyday, though.

Redstone on July 17, 2015 at 4:18 PM

No, it’s getting closer and closer to a real important election and we just can’t tolerate opinions that deviate even at a little angle. That’s the way it works, and that’s how we leave old friends behind.

Kinda sad.

But I still like him though his non-sequitors sometimes drive me crazy.

MaggiePoo on July 17, 2015 at 9:46 PM

Gutfeld is a question mark for FNC. His show is a poor rerun of RED EYE without the edgy guests. He should be placed between Juan and Geraldo on The Five until his creative flare returns.

Kneale on July 18, 2015 at 8:50 AM