Jimmy Carter: Let’s face it, Jesus would support gay marriage

posted at 3:21 pm on July 7, 2015 by Allahpundit

“I don’t have any verse and scripture” to back that up, he allows, but he’s got a good feeling about it. And why not? “Jesus” is really just a stand-in in this question for morality writ large, right? If you support SSM you think the practice is moral (I should hope), and if you’re a Christian who believes something is moral, almost by definition you need to believe Jesus thinks so too. There’s nothing doctrinal about this, by Carter’s own admission. It’s just “I feel strongly this is right, ergo God must as well.”

It occurs to me that I’ve never seen a poll on this question, asking religious gay-marriage supporters and opponents whether they think their position lines up with what God would want. That’d be interesting, especially among supporters. Opponents have the passage in Leviticus against homosexuality to stand on but supporters would be forced to either wing it Carter-style or concede that what God wants and what they want as a matter of public policy don’t always line up, a difficult admission for a person of faith. At least one religious person I know who backs SSM justifies it in render-unto-Caesar terms: A church should be free to refuse to perform gay weddings in accordance with its interpretation of God’s will but the state can’t refuse equal rights to all of its citizens on the same grounds, even if a majority agrees that God would disapprove. That solves the church-and-state problem of gay marriage potentially but it doesn’t really solve the WWJD problem. If you honestly believe that God opposes a certain practice, is it permissible to condone it as a matter of state policy (while refusing to participate in it yourself, say)?

Comments

As I’ve said before, if you enjoy making vile references to the physical aspects of homosexual relationships
Meredith on July 7, 2015 at 6:06 PM

I don’t think people should make vile references to any sexual activity. However, “gay” – by it’s very nature – is solely defined by certain unnatural sexual acts. You take out the sodomy and pretty much all you’ve got is some showtunes aficionados.

whatcat on July 7, 2015 at 11:17 PM

Some here are suggesting that Jimmah has never read scripture. I recall a very famous (at the time) reference to scripture he made in 1976 when he admitted (to Playboy reporters) that he had committed adultery in his heart by lusting for women.

Christ said, “I tell you that anyone who looks on a woman with lust has in his heart already committed adultery.” I’ve looked on a lot of women with lust. I’ve committed adultery in my heart many times.

I guess he’s learned since then not to take scripture quite so literally.

dont taze me bro on July 7, 2015 at 11:32 PM

What Would Jimmy Do.

virgo on July 7, 2015 at 11:54 PM

whatcat on July 7, 2015 at 11:17 PM

Like, Sing-along-a-Sound-of-Music?
Well, and some good hairdressers and interior designers.
If you take out the sodomy (and the lesbian equivalent), then the people with SS attraction aren’t committing a sin.

We are all subject to temptations according to our physical and emotional natures; some sins are harder to resist than others, and I applaud those who manage to hold the line.
If you aren’t a Christian (or Jew, or Muslim) and don’t consider SS intercourse (along with a lot of other behaviors) as sinful, then that’s your business: congratulations, you won the brass ring on this turn of the carousel.
When you force people who do consider sodomy to be a sin to support and participate in your associated behavior, then you are a bully and (if a government agent) a tyrant.

AesopFan on July 8, 2015 at 12:36 AM

Who needs scripture when we’ve got a living Ex-President to reveal God’s mind and will to us? Funny how it always tracks Democrat politics and the Supreme Court.

flataffect on July 8, 2015 at 12:50 AM

Actually, God has made his position clear on marriage and families through living Prophets, Seers and Revelators: https://www.lds.org/topics/family-proclamation?lang=eng

flataffect on July 8, 2015 at 12:55 AM

The man is a disgrace to submariners everywhere.

307wolverine, HM1(SS), USN(Ret.)

307wolverine on July 8, 2015 at 1:16 AM

Mmmm no. Pretty sure Jesus wouldn’t be so keen on gay marriage.

But Jimmy boy seems awful concerned, maybe he should just go ahead and out himself so he can marry bho already. They’re perfect for each other.

Andy__B on July 8, 2015 at 3:21 AM

Supposing Jimmy regards Paul’s writings on the subject in the New Testament with disdain, if he wished to advocate for gay marriage he could have said one of two things:

A – Well, scripture isn’t all that clear — and if God doesn’t proscribe it it’s a matter we’re free to decide on. We don’t need to wonder what Jesus would do, which is probably presumptuous.

B – Regardless of what you find in scripture, yes, I think Jesus would approve of gay marriage. I have no evidence to support that, but I’m willing to gratuitously suppose it.

Now why in their right mind would someone free to say either of those (on their own reading, anyway), not say the first? The second is clearly needless (the first accomplishes the purpose of advocacy), but is also troublesome because it fails to adduce the authority cited so limp-wristedly.

Bizarre, absolutely bizarre. Carter never fails to amaze me.

rasqual on July 8, 2015 at 4:43 AM

Jesus would have some harsh words for some religious people like certain religious broadcasters that end up getting rich off of old ladies sending in donations. He would have criticized the prosperity gospel.

But what would he call sin today? The Millstone story was reserved for those who used religion to lead others astray. Jesus didn’t like to see people representing God giving him a bad name.

Looking at the woman at the well with 7 husbands he did forgive…but the part I wonder about is this…go and sin no more.

How would Jesus answer that today with gay marriage?

timoric on July 8, 2015 at 6:04 AM

Through many dark hour
I’ve been thinkin’ about this
That Jesus Christ
Was betrayed by a kiss
But I can’t think for you
You’ll have to decide
Whether Judas Iscariot
Had God on his side
— Bob Dylan

rhombus on July 8, 2015 at 6:52 AM

Read Romans 1

Rumpole of the Bailey on July 8, 2015 at 7:52 AM

Let’s face it. Jimmy is in deep mental decline.

HotAirian on July 7, 2015 at 3:24 PM

You must be too young to have lived through the Carter presidency.
Jimmy was always a moron.
The only thing that has changed about him over the years is his attitude/demeanor.
In general, people thought that he was more or less an affable character at the beginning of his Presidency.
When it became clear to him that he was increasingly regarded as an abject failure (around the time of his malaise speech), he subsequently became increasingly morose. Losing to Reagan was the straw that broke the camel’s back and, from that point onward, Jimmy shifted from moroseness to becoming increasingly bitter.

So, Carter was always an imbecile and a massive failure. He added meanness and bitterness to his lovely resume later on.

justltl on July 8, 2015 at 8:27 AM

BTW, based upon Jimmy’s reasoning as outlined above, I feel quite certain that Jesus would consider him to be a total douchebag.

justltl on July 8, 2015 at 8:48 AM

justltl on July 8, 2015 at 8:27 AM

Nailed it. I, too, lived through the Carter years. For many years after he left the WH, I thought he was a decent enough fellow, just wrong in his beliefs. The bitterness and hatred seems to have percolated and destroyed any decency he had left. His attacks on Israel and his abandonment of what I thought were tightly held Christian values have only confirmed this belief.

I pity him, actually.

brushman on July 8, 2015 at 8:59 AM

Jesus didn’t talk about the issue of homosexuality and gay marriage because it was not an issue. It was already known to be a sin and an abomination before God. The same reason disciples and followers didn’t ask his opinion on killing the unborn. Gays and liberals love to talk about the love between same sex couples but they never talk about love making between same sex couples. Why is that? Because it is perverse and unnatural and a majority of people when confronted with that visual would find it repulsive and perverse, except for liberals that find nothing repulsive or perverse.

iceman1960 on July 8, 2015 at 9:20 AM

No, they are eternal for the people they only applied to.
avi natan on July 7, 2015 at 5:08 PM
You mean orthodox Jews?
Mimzey on July 7, 2015 at 7:55 PM

Actually it applies to all Jews, but only orthodox follow it.

avi natan on July 8, 2015 at 9:32 AM

No need to go all Old Testament to condemn homosexuality.

Romans 1:26-27 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Timothy 1:9-10 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;

Immolate on July 8, 2015 at 10:31 AM

How would Jesus answer that today with gay marriage?

timoric on July 8, 2015 at 6:04 AM

I think this is the important question. We are all sinners, and if our salvation were dependant upon our righteousness, then we’d all be lost. People who embrace their sin are living in rebellion against God. If you’re “living together”, you’re rebelling in fornication. If you’ve got a mistress, you’re rebelling in adultery. If you’re in a gay marriage, you’re defying the sanctity of one of God’s institutions, and probably rebelling in an abomination. Can the blood of the Lamb wash away an unrepented sin? Can someone indwelled by the Holy Spirit live comfortably in rebellion against God? I don’t feel qualified to answer the first question, but I believe that, if you can defy God’s will without disturbing your conscience, then you need to question your salvation.

Immolate on July 8, 2015 at 10:43 AM

Jimmy Carter is a buffoon!

LarryK on July 8, 2015 at 10:47 AM

I don’t think Jimmy Carter knows Christ. Perhaps in the past, it was different for him, but I believe the man now worships mammon.

MsYoung on July 8, 2015 at 11:33 AM

When is this idiot going to go away?

ultracon on July 8, 2015 at 11:40 AM

MsYoung on July 8, 2015 at 11:33 AM

Well, you know about the Sower and the different types of ground the seed lands in.

whatcat on July 8, 2015 at 11:56 AM

The left is usually against free speech unless this kind of claptrap comes out of the mouth of a fool like this. Carter should not be allowed out in public without adult supervision.

savage24 on July 8, 2015 at 12:08 PM

Bizarre, absolutely bizarre. Carter never fails to amaze me.

rasqual on July 8, 2015 at 4:43 AM

Really? He continually shocks the hell out of me.

runawayyyy on July 8, 2015 at 3:28 PM

Gay Marriage will certainly be what the Winepress will be about….

The Nerve on July 8, 2015 at 6:59 PM

When is this idiot going to go away?

ultracon on July 8, 2015 at 11:40 AM

When he blesses us by taking his last breath!

belad on July 9, 2015 at 12:14 AM

Remember, this is the same Jimmy Carter who supports the islamists that are butchering Christians left and right in a very open middle east Christian genocide.

tommyboy on July 9, 2015 at 7:58 AM