Revealed: Rachel Dolezal sued Howard University for … discriminating against her because she’s white

posted at 4:41 pm on June 15, 2015 by Allahpundit

This was in 2002, before the “transition.”

According to a Court of Appeals opinion, Dolezal’s lawsuit “claimed discrimination based on race, pregnancy, family responsibilities and gender.” She alleged that Smith and other school officials improperly blocked her appointment to a teaching assistant post, rejected her application for a post-graduate instructorship, and denied her scholarship aid while she was a student.

The court opinion also noted that Dolezal claimed that the university’s decision to remove some of her artworks from a February 2001 student exhibition was “motivated by a discriminatory purpose to favor African-American students over” her.

As detailed in the court opinion, Dolezal’s lawsuit contended that Howard was “permeated with discriminatory intimidation, ridicule, and insult.”

She lost the suit but Dolezal’s issues with Howard were well known to her family. Her history with the school is fascinating, in fact, and may be a window onto why she began to try to pass as black in the first place. She got a full scholarship to Howard for her art, which specialized in portraits of African-Americans. The school, her father claims, “took her for a black woman” because of her subject matter although she presented herself as white at the time and wouldn’t begin to change her appearance until years later.

Turns out things weren’t always easy for a white student on campus:

[Rachel’s brother] Ezra believes the only reason his sister would change her identity was due to the racism she claimed to have encountered at Howard University, where she graduated with her master’s degree in fine art in 2002.

Rachel, he added, would often complain that she was treated poorly as one of only a few white students on a mostly black campus.

“She used to tell us that teachers treated her differently than other people and a lot of them acted like they didn’t want her there,” Ezra said. “Because of her work in African-American art, they thought she was a black student during her application, but they ended up with a white person.”

He said that the experience made her angry, and it was then that Rachel started being “hateful to white people.”

She ended up “self-hating,” he claims, which, if true, helps explain the psychological pressure to “become” black. A bit more detail courtesy of a former Howard student:

While nobody doubted [Dolezal’s] racial identity [at Howard], the former student told BuzzFeed News that some faculty members were critical of the motivations behind her work. She noted one professor specifically: Tritobia Benjamin, who was well known in the art world as an authority on black female artists.

“Dr. Benjamin was very critical of Rachel,” the former student told BuzzFeed News, because although she was white, she “captured the black body in her paintings,” particularly black men.

So imagine you’re Rachel Dolezal, having grown up with adopted brothers and sisters who are black, having married a black man, having focused your art on African-American subjects, having applied and been accepted to Howard University, and then discovering that you’re still not black enough to be fully accepted in the cultural and academic circles you move in. Part of the reason she changed her appearance doubtless was sincere identification with and admiration for black culture, but partly too it now seems like an act of desperation to assimilate as completely as she wished. She was caught in an authenticity trap, a ludicrous phony when she tried to pass as black and a “problematic” white artist exploiting black subjects when she didn’t.

Via Mediaite, here’s Whoopi Goldberg wondering why, if a man can sincerely feel like he’s a woman, Rachel Dolezal can’t sincerely feel like she’s black, a question conservatives have been asking for the past four days. Note too Whoopi’s joke near the end about how she’s fine with Dolezal’s new identity so long as she’s prepared for “everything that comes with that.” I asked that question this morning. What if Dolezal is prepared for it? What if she prefers to live as a black woman even if that means experiencing prejudice? If race is a social construct and the touchstone of that construct in America is oppression, why shouldn’t a white woman who’s willing to endure it because of her appearance, with no intention of changing that appearance, be treated as authentic?

Comments

I just thought about my microgessions, I almost feel sorry for those I have offended. For the rest of you I choose to be you, Blah! LOL, will the madness ever end?

NiteOwl on June 16, 2015 at 2:18 AM

I just feel as a gay black/Hispanic/Asian/ Muslim/ Christian/ Multisexual/ Anamalistic/ wanna be wat I wanna be kinda person you are oppressive of me!

NiteOwl on June 16, 2015 at 2:47 AM

In my experience, black women are definitely the most racist of anyone. They are bitter, dramatic, overly sensitive, and needlessly needy.

SouthernGent on June 15, 2015 at 11:31 PM

as a black woman, i resent the stereotype….but sympathize with it :/

bloghooligan on June 16, 2015 at 5:44 AM

Maybe I’m a bit different. Never seen that with the black chicks I’ve dated. Different folks I suppose.

NiteOwl on June 16, 2015 at 2:13 AM

the simple answer is that you wouldn’t date these kind of women, nor would they date you.

bloghooligan on June 16, 2015 at 5:45 AM

Maybe she prepared to make the kind of money Whoopee is making?

Don L on June 16, 2015 at 6:32 AM

As a black woman, I still want to know exactly how this woman “acted” black, especially since she wasn’t “acting black” as an insult. (Quite the opposite.)

If a mentally ill man decides to identify as a woman (or vice versa) or a mentally ill white woman decides to identify as a black woman (or vice versa) to the extent that she’s willing to post pictures of her fake parents on websites , there are clearly stereotypes they have to act upon and social handshakes they embrace.

Bruce Jenner even mentioned nail polish at one point because that, in his mind, is what women “do”. That’s part of their script.

So what, in general, is “acting black”?

What script did this woman embrace, (D)s?

rogerb on June 16, 2015 at 6:41 AM

she ‘acted black’ by appropriating stories of discrimination and passing them off as her own.

let me give you an example:

say bruce caitlyn jenner had been speaking with a group of sexual assault victims, and caitlyn out of no where relays a story of how she was raped one night…in a frat house…by white rich lacrosse players.

would you then say ‘she was just trying to live the ‘female’ experience’ (WTF that is) in order to bring awareness of sexual assault victims?

no. you would not.

in her view she acted black, which in essence means she stereotypes blacks, in order to help them, of course. just like the person lying of rape to bring awareness to the cause of rape victims everywhere.

bloghooligan on June 16, 2015 at 6:54 AM

Another sick, twisted leftist. Their warped ideology does this to them.

forest on June 16, 2015 at 7:49 AM

bloghooligan on June 16, 2015 at 6:54 AM

Thanks for writing that, it opened a whole new way of looking at this.

Of course to “co-opt”, she would have had to “stereotype” the black experience and duplicate it.

It relates to what I posted about gays, for a guy to be “gay” it seems he has to exaggerate the experience. When a guy says they were born to be a woman, than they go out and be outlandish, few of them act like any woman I have ever met, because they have to fake it, pretend. They become cartoon characters of what they perceive to be feminine.

The “blacks” should be more than embarrassed by this, they should be outraged.

It also explains the story she tells about having someone mailing her pictures of black people being hanged, the most stereotypical of all. Wasn’t it Bill Clinton who said he remembers the burning of black Churches, and it was later proved to be false? Her story fell apart when the Postmaster said the only way a letter with no address could have found it’s way into her box is with a key to the mailbox.

And the black professor who’s car was plastered with racial remarks, and it turned out she did it herself…they have to create stories, stereotypical stories, mostly characterizations of what they perceive is the black experience.

Insightful post…as time goes, what you stated will become apparent and the outrage will grow.

right2bright on June 16, 2015 at 7:53 AM

let me give you an example:

no. you would not.

bloghooligan on June 16, 2015 at 6:54 AM

Yep. From the first time this question was avoided by all of our (D)s:

Again, I don’t disagree. I do find it absolutely fascinating that she was clearly promoting a (the?) stereotype of black people, and I’d imagine she was promoting a stereotype of “acting black” significantly more than any other person I’ve ever met.

rogerb on June 12, 2015 at 4:14 PM

rogerb on June 16, 2015 at 8:15 AM

I identify as being filthy rich…

PatriotRider on June 16, 2015 at 8:31 AM

LOL. That makes perfect sense: black people were rude and nasty to her, so naturally she started hating on . . . white people.

This chick is all kinds of messed up.

AZCoyote on June 16, 2015 at 8:31 AM

Wonder if the lower fro is as big as the upper fro?

Nutstuyu on June 15, 2015 at 6:09 PM

You’re disgusting ;-)

But since you broached the subject, I’ve actually wondered about the whole carpet/drapes thing myself. I’m guessing Brazilian which would remove any evidence.

pain train on June 16, 2015 at 8:41 AM

I’ve already posted a thought on the aspect of perjury if this individual completed any applications or forms where misrepresentation is a violation of criminal law of if there are civil cases to be made.

If Trans-Racial is allowed the stand as a defense, then all Affirmative Action and EEO related laws will become null and void.

zdpl0a on June 16, 2015 at 9:03 AM

Day 5 and Dolezal still dominates with 5 mugs on HA’s main page.

claudius on June 16, 2015 at 9:11 AM

This story is so much more entertaining than Jenner’s Genitals.

It’s got so much more to offer: lies, manipulation, psychosis, hypocrisy, racism, stupidity, and hilarious pictures.

Galtian on June 16, 2015 at 9:29 AM

That pretty much defines “wack job”.

This story is so much more entertaining than Jenner’s Genitals.

Galtian on June 16, 2015 at 9:29 AM

Oh, Jenner’s story has all of that, too (including racism if you add in the bit yesterday about the Kardashians “appropriating” black booty). This one is just missing the ick factor of pretending to be female. (At least, her parents raised her as a girl; I won’t press-to-test on that issue here!)

GWB on June 16, 2015 at 9:49 AM

If Dolezal can be black because she wants to, I guess we all owe Elizabeth “Fauxcahontas” Warren an apology. We clearly had no right to suggest that she isn’t Cherokee. For that matter, the Cherokee Nation has no right to suggest that she isn’t, either.

Isn’t this the logical conclusion for identity politics? It’s the Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny. And we all know how this ends, right?

Beo on June 16, 2015 at 9:56 AM

In a sane country, this wouldn’t even be news. In our present demented national state, this will be in the news for days, if not weeks…

Pest on June 16, 2015 at 10:00 AM

Why are there four threads on this person deeply in need of a psych eval?

OT:
Congress has decided to extend the amount of time to reconsider TAA and TPA until July 30. They are determined to return and pass that crap sandwich no matter what.

dogsoldier on June 16, 2015 at 10:29 AM

“Nobody has milked one performance better than me – and I’m damned proud of it.”
Bruce Jenner, A Lifetime of Training for Just Ten Seconds: Olympians in their own words – 2012

airupthere on June 16, 2015 at 10:40 AM

Rank in order of black authenticity: Ben Carson, Herman Cain, Condi Rice, Rachel Dolezal.

airupthere on June 16, 2015 at 10:43 AM

Eric Dyson on Condi Rice:
She is:

“Accidentally black”.

Eric Dyson on Rachel Dolezal:
She is:

“More black than Clarence Thomas”.

Dr. Eric Dyson is a sociology professor at Georgetown and a PhD graduate of Princeton University. Ms. Dolezal received her masters degree from Howard University.

I think that, since around 2002, Ms. Dolezal may be more black than Dr. Dyson.

airupthere on June 16, 2015 at 10:52 AM

airupthere on June 16, 2015 at 10:43 AM

Rank in order of black authenticity: Ben Carson, Herman Cain, Condi Rice, Rachel Dolezal, Barack Obama.

redguy on June 16, 2015 at 11:13 AM

Day 5 and Dolezal still dominates with 5 mugs on HA’s main page.

claudius on June 16, 2015 at 9:11 AM

yeah, I guess a Lifetime movie is next and then an Oprah interview.

redguy on June 16, 2015 at 11:16 AM

Rush put it succinctly, while pointing out the absurdity today:

RUSH: Okay, so I officially today announced that I identify as skinny. From this day going forward, I am skinny. Now, in the old days, people’s reaction to that would be to call me delusional and maybe think I needed some help. Today, I’m brave. It’s a courageous act to identify as skinny when one is not. I’m sure I will get accolades all across Twitter and accolades all across Facebook, and accolades all across the Drive-By Media for positive thinking, now that I identify as skinny. And I’m fully expecting that Weight Watchers and others will identify with me and welcome me to the fold as a skinny, since I now identify that way. The way I see myself is the way I am, not how you see me, and if you don’t see me that way, you’re the bigot. I’m brave!

Neitherleftorright on June 17, 2015 at 3:02 AM