Rested, ready, rap anthem: Rick Perry announces he’s running for president

posted at 3:21 pm on June 4, 2015 by Allahpundit

The media’s conventional wisdom is that he won’t be able to shake memories of his poor 2012, but then members of that same media couldn’t recognize Marcus “Lone Survivor” Luttrell standing next to Perry onstage today. (Dave Weigel snarks: “It’s Perry’s fault for not standing to real, recognizable heroes, like the Olympics guy who got breast implants.”) There are lots of things the media misses that are right in front of its face. For instance, imagine the impact on Perry skeptics if he gets a question at the first GOP debate on, say, Syria and proceeds to break off a thoughtful two-minute answer on sectarian politics, U.S. leverage, and ISIS’s roots in Obama’s withdrawal from Iraq. It’s true that Perry will have less slack for screw-ups this time because of his “oops” reputation from the last campaign, but the flip side of that is that he also has more room to impress. GOPers who came away from the 2012 primaries thinking he was a dolt or too soft on amnesty will almost inevitably find him more polished this time, now that he doesn’t have to run while trying to manage pain from back surgery with medication. He’s got executive experience, he’s got an economic record that would play in the general election, he’s gotten right with tea partiers on immigration by slamming Obama over last year’s border crisis, and he’s acceptably socially conservative to the base. Even his similarities to Dubya are mitigated this time by Jeb Bush’s presence in the race. He came armed with some memorable shots at the rest of the field too:

That’s a dig at fellow Texan Ted Cruz, with whom he’ll be competing for tea-party votes, even more so than it is at Rand Paul. Anyway, if he’s prepared, he should be formidable, and it’s hard to believe he’d try running again if he wasn’t prepared. My question is, how does he break from the pack? Even if the indictment pending against him in Texas is tossed out, which’ll have to happen for the party to nominate him, needless to say, he’s polling in single digits right now against a talented field that’s by and large solidly conservative. Assume that Perry does well at the debates. Ted Cruz will probably do well too. So will Marco Rubio. How well will Perry need to do to get noticed when younger candidates with higher name recognition are also impressing people? Perry’s got an executive record that they don’t, but there are many executives with solid resumes in the mix too — Walker, for starters, as well as Bush, Jindal, and almost certainly Kasich. (I’m not even counting Christie given how little his base overlaps with Perry’s.) I can imagine Perry squeezing some votes from the other governors and I can imagine him squeezing some votes from tea-partiers like Cruz, but it’s hard to imagine how he squeezes, say, 35 percent out of it. I wonder if he and Jindal will end up in the same spot, as qualified candidates whom the right likes and respects but who end up being overshadowed by splashier, better-funded rivals. Hope I’m wrong about that, though. It’d be a dream come true for the president of the United States to mention “Hot Gas” one day from the White House podium.

Here’s a bit from today’s speech. If you want the full video, the Weekly Standard has it and calls it “electrifying.” Whatever you end up watching, at least watch the second clip below of Perry’s entrance music. In a close race with Jeb Bush, an ass-kicking country-rap anthem could be the difference between victory and defeat, my friends.

Comments

As much chance as Dr. Carson.

Texas can do better.

Although Cruz has made some unforced errors lately.

Hard to find anybody with a complete spine anymore.

profitsbeard on June 4, 2015 at 3:26 PM

Another “Oops” moment coming in 3…2…1…

BoehnerTears on June 4, 2015 at 3:28 PM

Rick Perry has a perfect last name recognition. Who doesn’t know Katy Perry?

Rix on June 4, 2015 at 3:28 PM

Ready to listen to any man or woman who will say they will do the will of those who elected them.

Let the primaries begin soon.

hawkdriver on June 4, 2015 at 3:28 PM

He’s baaaack…

vnvet on June 4, 2015 at 3:29 PM

Happiest person on HotAir today??

Gopher Girl!!

ToddPA on June 4, 2015 at 3:31 PM

-Allahpundit

Did Alfonzo Rachel write this?!

blatantblue on June 4, 2015 at 3:33 PM

Perry isn’t up to the task. He struggles to speak in complete sentences.

We can and should do better than him.

His 2012 campaign was a a disaster.

bluegill on June 4, 2015 at 3:35 PM

I don’t see how he breaks from the pack either. And that’s without the indictment.

cat_owner on June 4, 2015 at 3:36 PM

From leadership and experience point of view, the most two important trait by far for a President, Rick Perry is the most qualified, followed by Scott Walker…

mnjg on June 4, 2015 at 3:38 PM

Heartless Conservatives for Perry!

ShainS on June 4, 2015 at 3:38 PM

Who can forget Rick Perry’s leftist-style attacks on Mitt Romney (and Bain Capital) as a “vulture capitalist”?

VIDEO: http://youtu.be/RTg_uDtus8c

VIDEO: http://youtu.be/6BX-NsPpzeM

bluegill on June 4, 2015 at 3:38 PM

Perry isn’t up to the task. He struggles to speak in complete sentences.

We can and should do better than him.

His 2012 campaign was a a disaster.

bluegill on June 4, 2015 at 3:35 PM

Beside the “oops” moment that was so insanely over rated by idiots including conservatives, I see Perry as very good speaker… But most importantly he has the best actual record needed to be President and that is leadership and experience…

mnjg on June 4, 2015 at 3:39 PM

Allah, I can’t understand giving that tool Weigel’s tweet ink on this while ignoring Sean Davis, who has been all over it. Weigel popped up in Sean’s TL, not vice versa.

Check it out.

Sean Davis on Twitter

Also, IowaHawk linked a Twitter search that exposes the Proggie ignorance about this American hero in full flower.

novaculus on June 4, 2015 at 3:40 PM

Sadly what destroyed Perry candidacy last time was not the “ooops” moment but that he did not give the red meat base what they want regarding immigration…

mnjg on June 4, 2015 at 3:41 PM

He should change his name to “Kid Rick” and pursue country-rap full time.

Redstone on June 4, 2015 at 3:41 PM

VIDEO: http://youtu.be/RTg_uDtus8c

VIDEO: http://youtu.be/6BX-NsPpzeM

bluegill on June 4, 2015 at 3:38 PM

He was right and the banker could not make it… America was not ready for a banker and still is not… Wall Street is not Capitalism….

mnjg on June 4, 2015 at 3:42 PM

VIDEO: “Texas DREAM Act” supporter Rick Perry says “you don’t have a heart” if you don’t support special state benefits like in-state tuition for illegal aliens – http://youtu.be/JDXSu3JVXhg

bluegill on June 4, 2015 at 3:42 PM

His speech was fantastic, and you could tell the SEALS that were beside him. Their eyes never stopped surveying the crowd….

lovingmyUSA on June 4, 2015 at 3:44 PM

Michelle Bachman is wiping the floor with Rick Perry

SpongePuppy on June 4, 2015 at 3:47 PM

Perry can’t speak, is soft on illegal immigration, and hired the campaign staff who orchestrated Thad Cochran’s “race-baiting to get out the democrat vote and cancel out MS Republican voters” campaign. Plus he has seemingly borrowed Marie Harf’s glasses. Oh, and he’ll never win.

What’s not to like?

Redstone on June 4, 2015 at 3:50 PM

I know the story here is Perry’s announcement, but there is a huge side-story that Allah only brushed on.

A whole cadre of Proggie Journolisters, completely ignorant of the identities of Marcus Luttrell and his brother, posted snarky tweets about Perry’s big, sweaty “bodyguards”.

If they had been stand-ins on Game Of Thrones and not the Luttrell brothers, every single one of those jackasses would have known exactly who they were.

I seem to recall that Perry helped Marcus out at some point when he needed it, but neither of them speak of it. Need to check on that when I have some time later.

Do yourselves a favor & check the links I posted above. Personally, I think it’s worthy of it’s own post.

novaculus on June 4, 2015 at 3:52 PM

OT: I think there is a decent potential market for a “bluegill blocker” add-on.

I know I’d buy one.

novaculus on June 4, 2015 at 3:54 PM

Bluegill, you are trying so hard…stop with this self-flagellation. Its embarrassing. You are not helping Cruz…

lovingmyUSA on June 4, 2015 at 3:55 PM

Happiest person on HotAir today??

Gopher Girl!!

ToddPA on June 4, 2015 at 3:31 PM

Don’t you know it :) :) :)

gophergirl on June 4, 2015 at 3:59 PM

Hey Bluegill,

Go. Away.

As for Perry, I’m excited for his entrance in the race!

Jack_Burton on June 4, 2015 at 3:59 PM

novaculus on June 4, 2015 at 3:52 PM

That is at once sad, hilarious, pathetic and infuriating.

I recognized Marcus immediately.

Haven’t seen the movie, but I do have the book Lone Survivor.

Brian1972 on June 4, 2015 at 4:00 PM

Wow, the ignorance on the left hurts.

Read to the end. Incredibly moving story, and at the end incredibly stupid for all the left. YOU are a shame-inducing lost.

Schadenfreude on June 4, 2015 at 4:01 PM

OT question for the Hot Air staff: Are you guys going to cover ObamaTrade at all? I may have missed one, but I haven’t seen anything over the last month or so.

Thanks!

Vatican Watcher on June 4, 2015 at 4:03 PM

YOU are a shame-inducing lost.

Though, you are lost too, you scum of the Earth.

Schadenfreude on June 4, 2015 at 4:04 PM

I like how that first twitter link shows people going full faceplant mocking the Luttrell brothers. Perfect ‘platform’.

DanMan on June 4, 2015 at 4:07 PM

Crowd out Cruz and try and take out his Texas support.

I love career politicians looking for a new gig.

Rick Perry…..Mr. Trans-Texas Corridor.

Wasn’t he indicted for some charge? What happened there?

PappyD61 on June 4, 2015 at 4:09 PM

“Nineteen Kids and Counting.”

It’s not just the name of a reality TV show anymore.

It’s a description of the GOP presidential field, 2016.

RedPepper on June 4, 2015 at 4:09 PM

Despite all the Perry naysayers, this will be an economic election. The first debate question will go like this:

Perry – So Gov. Walker, how many jobs have ben created since you took office?

Walker – Ummm, Ummm, ……. not many.

Perry – My record in Texas speaks for it’s self.

Tater Salad on June 4, 2015 at 4:10 PM

Bluegill has some good links.

PappyD61 on June 4, 2015 at 4:11 PM

Wasn’t he indicted for some charge? What happened there?

PappyD61 on June 4, 2015 at 4:09 PM

got indicted for defunding the “Travis County Public Integrity Unit” when the gal running it got busted for DWI and wouldn’t step aside. The legislature just changed the law to totally defang them as well by moving the prosecution to the jurisdiction of the politico charged with improprieties.

DanMan on June 4, 2015 at 4:14 PM

(Reposted from the other thread on Perry, but worth repeating):

Rick Perry has already had his fatal “oops” moment of the 2016 campaign if he is in any way associating with that hateful, incompetent and abhorrent strategist Steve Schmidt. Hiring that P O S shows a staggering lack of good judgement.

Sorry Rick, I might have been interested in what you had to say but you have already blown it if you’ve hired Steve Schmidt.

Right Mover on June 4, 2015 at 4:24 PM

Rick Perry threads – it feels like the HA of old :)

gophergirl on June 4, 2015 at 4:28 PM

Perry, without question has the best personal biography and executive leadership record in the race. His line about senators is priceless, it covers our sitting president, Hillary and most of his challengers in the GOP.

Tater Salad on June 4, 2015 at 4:32 PM

Right Mover on June 4, 2015 at 4:29 PM

I judge politicians by what they’ve done, ……not the last election they won.

Tater Salad on June 4, 2015 at 4:34 PM

This primary season is gonna be – somehow – worse than 2012’s. How long until Michelle Bachmann jumps in to be a [insert establishment candidate]-shield again?

mythicknight on June 4, 2015 at 4:37 PM

Herman cain where are you?

coolrepublica on June 4, 2015 at 4:40 PM

Haven’t seen the movie, but I do have the book Lone Survivor.

Brian1972 on June 4, 2015 at 4:00 PM

Same here.

novaculus on June 4, 2015 at 4:43 PM

About as “electrifying” as watching a grape turn into a raisin. It’s shame, because Perry accomplished quite a bit as governor, and would probably make a halfway decent POTUS. But he came off, to me anyway, as a typical bs’ing candidate. And as much as I admire the heck out of the Luttrells, it looked awkward having Perry all pumped-up and excited while being flanked by two guys who look like they’re at a funeral.

As for Perry’s entrance…not good. Not good at all.

JetBoy on June 4, 2015 at 4:43 PM

Right Mover on June 4, 2015 at 4:24 PM

I’m with you on this one. Disappointing, I like Perry but I won’t support anyone who is connected in any way with the POS Schmidt.

novaculus on June 4, 2015 at 4:48 PM

Yay Rick Perry!

That speech was a good one. I love that he quoted the Declaration of Independence, name checked George Washington, and surrounded himself with veterans. He offered an excellent take down of Obama without ever once sounding angry or mean. There were some great quotes. “We don’t have to settle for a world in chaos. We don’t have to apologize for American exceptionalism” Also, I loved the emphasis on “return power to the states and freedom to the individual”

As for breaking out of the pack, I think he is off to a good start.

bitsy on June 4, 2015 at 4:49 PM

“Vote for me, or my Navy SEAL pals will make you! Nobody wants that!”

–Rick Perry for President

Nethicus on June 4, 2015 at 4:51 PM

Right Mover on June 4, 2015 at 4:24 PM

novaculus on June 4, 2015 at 4:48 PM

These guys so bad because they are known for smearing conservatives, right?

Isn’t it possible he hired them to keep someone else … Like, say, Jeb Bush… from hiring them and smearing him? Isn’t Steve Schmidt the guy who got Bush and Schwartzenagger re-elected? I would want that guy on my team and not my opponents. It’s a pretty weak argument when you ignore a 15 year record as governor and obsess over a couple of strategists.

bitsy on June 4, 2015 at 5:02 PM

Dang, I forgot how annoyingly ignorant and stupid the Perry-hatin’ nutballs could be.

hagfish yappin’ away like Perry was the new version of Palin.

cozmo on June 4, 2015 at 5:09 PM

bitsy on June 4, 2015 at 5:02 PM

Given my extensive experience in politics (I’ll never get the stink off) I’ve come to be guided in large part by my estimation of a candidate’s character. The people the candidate hires & associates with are among the primary harbingers of the reality of a candidate’s character.

Hiring Schmidt tells me Perry either doesn’t recognize a moron, untrustworthy and malicious, when he sees one. Or worse, he’s happy associate with scumbags like Schmidt.

At this point in time, I find either situation disqualifying. I think your theory of Perry hiring Schmidt to keep him in house and neutered is highly improbable, to say the least.

novaculus on June 4, 2015 at 5:11 PM

gophergirl on June 4, 2015 at 4:28 PM

How many are y’all Perry-girls these days?

Is jetboy still on board?

cozmo on June 4, 2015 at 5:11 PM

I like Perry

John the Libertarian on June 4, 2015 at 5:17 PM

BTW, anyone who thinks that Walker, Cruz, Rubio or many of the others have any idea of how ruthless the Clinton campaign will be are kidding themselves. Perry has been through many tough political wars, expanded the GOP in Texas (which was a minority 20 years ago), and has a record (not rhetoric) to run on.

Tater Salad on June 4, 2015 at 5:22 PM

Tater Salad on June 4, 2015 at 5:22 PM

To be honest, democrats in Texas twenty years ago resemble nothing like democrats in Texas today. Except Ann Richards and Molly Ivins. And they are a big part of the reason there are statistically fewer democrats in Texas.

cozmo on June 4, 2015 at 5:27 PM

Perry Rubio 2016

Key West Reader on June 4, 2015 at 5:39 PM

..yawn..

celt on June 4, 2015 at 5:49 PM

Perry would make the best president of anyone running or likely to run.

Hands down.

DRayRaven on June 4, 2015 at 5:51 PM

F;acts count:

Rick was buddies with the most liberal Democrats in the Texas house when he was himself a Democrat.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on June 4, 2015 at 5:57 PM

cozmo on June 4, 2015 at 5:11 PM

Still here, and still understand why bluegill gets on your nerves.

jazzuscounty on June 4, 2015 at 6:58 PM

Not sure what all the fuss is about. Perry sounded good to me but I’ve been a citizen under Obama for the last 7 years and absolutely hate Hillary so maybe I’m biased.

I especially like when the candidate says what they will do in their first days in office to stop the bleeding.

The GOP is looking better that it has in over 20 years and other than Jeb and Paul I’ll eagerly support any of them in the general.

tej on June 4, 2015 at 7:16 PM

Glad Gov. Perry is running….and I hope he gives Bush Inc. & The Clinton Crime Family Hell!

Gig Em’

God Bless Texas!

workingclass artist on June 4, 2015 at 7:28 PM

Rick Perry threads – it feels like the HA of old :)

gophergirl on June 4, 2015 at 4:28 PM

Indeed…

workingclass artist on June 4, 2015 at 7:31 PM

MEANWHILE:

This makes 4, in the last 36Hrs.:

Jindal
Perry
Chafee (D)
Bush

2016 US elections
2m
Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush posts on Twitter that he will make an announcement on June 15 at Miami Dade College’s Kendall Campus – @JebBush
See original on twitter.com

canopfor on June 4, 2015 at 6:34 AM

canopfor on June 4, 2015 at 7:31 PM

gophergirl on June 4, 2015 at 4:28 PM

How many are y’all Perry-girls these days?

Is jetboy still on board?

cozmo on June 4, 2015 at 5:11 PM

On board with whom?

Meh…as it is now, Walker’s my guy. But that could change. Again, I think Perry has some decent accomplishments on his resume, but if his announcement presser is indicative of his campaign, he’s toast.

JetBoy on June 4, 2015 at 7:32 PM

canopfor on June 4, 2015 at 7:31 PM

canop!

Yeah, I’m already starting to lose track of who’s officially in, who’s made announcements pending making it official, and who may or may not run. The first debates with so many candidates aren’t going to get much accomplished, me thinks.

JetBoy on June 4, 2015 at 7:36 PM

Jindal’s back to being my first choice-but I could gleefully still vote for Rick!

annoyinglittletwerp on June 4, 2015 at 7:40 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on June 4, 2015 at 7:40 PM

I gotta say, twerpster…I don’t think I’ve ever “gleefully” voted for anyone. I wanna go vote with you and see how it’s done! ;)

JetBoy on June 4, 2015 at 8:45 PM

JetBoy on June 4, 2015 at 8:45 PM

Guess you didn’t get to pull the lever or mark the dot for Reagan over Carter then.

jazzuscounty on June 4, 2015 at 9:10 PM

How many are y’all Perry-girls these days?

Is jetboy still on board?

cozmo on June 4, 2015 at 5:11 PM

Think it’s just me – party of one.

gophergirl on June 4, 2015 at 9:33 PM

gophergirl on June 4, 2015 at 9:33 PM

1 and 1/2. I’m still sort of a Perry girl-I just prefer Bobby Jindal.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 4, 2015 at 10:05 PM

jazzuscounty on June 4, 2015 at 9:10 PM

I wasn’t born quite yet at the time…still cookin’ in the womb.

JetBoy on June 4, 2015 at 10:06 PM

Broadswords for everyone. THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!

flackcatcher on June 4, 2015 at 11:51 PM

bitsy on June 4, 2015 at 5:02 PM

That’s possible. Proof in the pudding is how much Steve influences Perry and how visible.

If rarely seen then you may have a point.

AH_C on June 5, 2015 at 12:58 AM

Perry for Ambassador to the U.N.

Cruz for Justice of the Supreme Court