The next appointment TV: Greg Gutfeld getting new show

posted at 2:31 pm on May 16, 2015 by Jazz Shaw

Normally the launch of a new television show wouldn’t merit much space at Hot Air (unless it’s The Walking Dead, of course) but there’s something coming down the pike which I’m guessing a lot of you will enjoy and want to keep up with. Greg Gutfeld of Redeye and The Five fame, is getting a new show on Fox News on Sundays and it promises to be the kind of fun you don’t see all that often on the conservative side of the television spectrum. (From Fox)

Greg Gutfeld will host the new FOX News Channel program “The Greg Gutfeld Show.”

Gutfeld will continue to appear on “The Five” as he takes on his new gig as the solo host of the new, one-hour program.

“Every host of a new show likes to say they’re breaking new ground,” Gutfeld said in a press release. “So why should I be any different. This show will forever change the way you watch television, plus guests provide their own transportation.”

The new show will include parodies of current events and feature interviews with newsmakers, media personalities and culture critics.

Greg is hilarious, with a proven track record for being sharp and witty. (You should be following him on Twitter if you don’t already.) I think Redeye missed out on a lot of the audience it might have garnered because of the odd time slot, while The Five has been a solid ratings performer. I have Greg’s latest book, Not Cool, and it lives up to his other work. There’s always a temptation to refer to Gutfeld as “the conservative Jon Stewart” but that really doesn’t do him justice. He tackles many of the same subjects and is a master of satire, but the “feel” of his work is distinctly different from The Daily Show. I’d expect that tradition to continue with his new show.

For a taste of Greg’s style (on the odd chance any of you don’t already know him) he did a great interview with The Blaze last year talking about Not Cool. Here’s his take on hipsters:

By the way this isn’t about fashion. I think a lot of people mistake – because when you use the word “hipster” – they think of the goatees and the nose rings. But it’s not about that. It’s about a mindset. I’d say the Brooklyn hipster is probably a sub-segment of this kind of destructive academia-media-government complex. But it’s more about an idea than it is a person. And it’s a destructive one. And it’s always about undermining tradition in all parts of life.

I mean you see it right now I think in foreign policy. You know what happens when a person, an educated person, has spent most of his life being educated that your country, the United States, is the villain. Their exceptionalism is what’s wrong with the world, and if we only retreated and fixed what was inside of us, the world would appreciate it. The world would be a better place. And the world would be a better place primarily because we’re not there.

And so, what is the consequence of that? There’s not much of a consequence if that person stays on campus. But when that person leaves campus and enters the White House, does that have an effect? The idea that somehow America is equally to blame, if not more to blame for the world’s problems, that that somehow must infect the way you think about how to deal with things like Russia, or Venezuela, or Iran…it makes you “lead from behind.” Which in some ways means you don’t lead at all.

The new show kicks off at the end of the month. Check your local listings.

Comments

I was kidding, too, I find his “schtick” very funny.

Redstone on May 16, 2015 at 7:12 PM

We gotta start using sarc tags. Carry on.

de rigueur on May 16, 2015 at 7:23 PM

Strike that. Gutfeld never uses sarc tags.

de rigueur on May 16, 2015 at 7:34 PM

My point is Greg Gutfeld is establishment.
birdwatcher on May 16, 2015 at 3:18 PM

Yes, both he and the Pe-RINO are. He’s been pretty meh on The Five lately.

chris0christies0donut on May 16, 2015 at 7:41 PM

Hopefully a little bit of that absurdist vibe will carry over into Sunday show, anything is better than watching George Will, Donna Brazile, John McCain and the other Sunday show regulars.

Redstone on May 16, 2015 at 7:33 PM

Hope you’re right. “Parodies of current events” sounds promising.

de rigueur on May 16, 2015 at 7:42 PM

I remember when Huffington Post started and Greg was one of the original columnists. He was hilarious! Imagine him doing commentary on MSNBC if you wanted to know what it was like for him. Arianna canned him in about 6 months. Figures the Cruzbots don’t like him because he isn’t impressed by the Elmer Gantry act.

Marcus on May 16, 2015 at 8:05 PM

Marcus on May 16, 2015 at 8:05 PM

I remember that! And when she banned him from blogging, he discovered the little bio area on his about page, whatever, where he continued to blog in the little blurb spot. LOL This tiny bit of screen real estate with a scroll bar became his home.

Didn’t last long though, but it was hilarious.

MaggiePoo on May 16, 2015 at 9:14 PM

Bring back Bill Shultz as the disgusting sidekick and we’ll talk.

V7_Sport on May 16, 2015 at 3:03 PM

Him, Andy Levy (who is also U.S. Army Veteran BTW-Ooo-Rah!) and Gutfeld were all great together on Red Eye. Ah well.

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 16, 2015 at 10:03 PM

I am not sure anyone can replace Huckabee for humor. If anyone can, its Greg. He is funny. /s

steveracer on May 17, 2015 at 8:09 AM

The 5 is almost watchable now that BB has left. What is he doing, time or undercover work for HRC?

Kissmygrits on May 17, 2015 at 8:52 AM

Sunday night, huh? Brave man…

ladyingray on May 17, 2015 at 8:56 AM

Beckel is allegedly out with a back injury/surgery.

Younggod on May 17, 2015 at 9:08 AM

Greg is one of those well-intentioned people who screamed “HOMOPHOBE!” everytime someone had a point about SSM. Now that those very same warnings are coming to fruition before his dim eyes, he thinks the rational and funny thing to do is doubledown on mocking the prescient and wise.

So of course I will never watch him. He is a malevolent fool just like all the others.

StubbleSpark on May 17, 2015 at 9:46 AM

I cancelled cable TV 6 months or so ago. The ONLY programming I watched was “The Five” and that, only because of Gutfeld. I would pay a monthly premium to watch Fox News on my Roku box. I hope cable channels soon catch up with their audiences and begin offering alacart (sp?) programming to willing subscribers.

SoldiersMom on May 17, 2015 at 10:17 AM

SoldiersMom, I cut my cable two years ago and also use a Roku. I assume you have the free Rox News (and Fox Business) channel on it, right? So even though they usually only show the “A Block” from The Five each day, at least it’s something. They also show many clips of several of their other shows. They do a particularly good job with my two favorites, Special Report and Fox and Friends.

The time delay is usually only about an hour or so.

ncinca on May 17, 2015 at 10:30 AM

I used to hate Red Eye, and sent helpfully insulting notes to Foxnews about it, but the real talent was Greg Gutfield and Andy Levy.

It will be interesting to see what the new show is like.

It’s not fair to compare him to John Stewart because the latter always retreated to the “I’m just a funny-man” defense whenever he was called out. That will happen if all you do is read your (hopelessly liberal) script. Conversely, Gutfield knows his own mind, probably wrote the script, so he does not have the Stewart faint-heartedness.

virgo on May 17, 2015 at 11:39 AM

when greg announced that he was leaving ‘red eye’ it nearly broke my heart…my favorite show was ruined ! …but, it turned out that the show went on and has been just as entertaining…even the rotating hosts has worked out okay. fox stopped the late-night/early morning reruns of ‘the five’ so he’s been an out-of-sight-out-of-mind thing for me. it will be interesting to see what greg does with his new show but i almost wish he could go back to driving huffpo commenters off the deep end with his common sense posts there…that was some funny stuff.

el polacko on May 17, 2015 at 12:05 PM

Greg is hilarious, will definitely be watching!!1

soapyjeans on May 17, 2015 at 2:47 PM

DISGRACEFUL: Greg Gutfeld advocates for illegal alien amnesty:

Daily Caller senior editor Jamie Weinstein expressed support for the Gang of Eight’s plan, explaining that “you can’t force [illegal immigrants] back,” echoing the legislators’ belief that naturalizing the existing immigrants is more reasonable than trying to deport all 11 million people here illegally.

“I know you hate this whole idea,” host Greg Gutfeld then said to a cringing Gavin McInnes. “But what it does is removes the race card. This is going to help the Republicans because they are no longer going to be called racist because they are introducing immigration reform,” Gutfeld explained.

Source: http://www.mediaite.com/tv/red-eye-panel-battles-over-amnesty-for-illegal-immigrants/

Greg Gutfeld has only moved further left since then. Gutfeld may be funny and clever at times, but he can also be pretty dense and an ally of the RINO wing of the party, which includes the mushy Dana Perino. It’s beyond naive to think that Republicans “would no longer be called racist” if they embraced amnesty. And should that be a reason to support citizenship for illegals, anyway?

Here’s what they’re saying:
“Yeah, amnesty would totally transform the electorate, shifting it eventually and irreversibly to the left, but, just think, and Republicans might not be called racist anymore!”

This is smart thinking?

bluegill on May 17, 2015 at 3:07 PM

Moving Gutfeld into a Sunday talk slot is a big upgrade for Fox, no matter how you cut it.

He isn’t a social Conservative, no doubt about that. He leans libertarian on some issues, no doubt about that.

However, he makes no claim to be, nor does he act in a way that is expected to be confused with, a serious reporter. He pokes fun at absurdities, including his own. When he flubs a line, he eats it and owns it. If he were a more polished comedian, he’d probably already have a show in that vein. If he were a more serious political commentator, he’d probably already be replacing Morning Joe.

Serious isn’t included in the Red Eye format, never has. The discussions wander about, the panel is made of mostly D-list quasi-celebs who dare to have a worldview atypical of modern Hollywood, and the topics are marginally more substantial than those found on TMZ.

He’s smart, he’s funny, and he doesn’t take himself too seriously. He does decent analysis of topics, points out where the socialist mindset is destructive for society. Overall, he’s very watchable, even if I don’t agree with him on numerous issues.

Freelancer on May 17, 2015 at 6:44 PM

Personally I dislike Greg then again I also dislike The Five. First, The Five is nothing more than a hand full of people sitting around BS’ing around a table. Not very informative and on top that they are always talking over each.

Then there is Greg, (sorry but I don’t find him funny) who is very annoying. It seems the few minutes that the Five actually starts a good discussion – in pops Greg with some stupid joke. Take a serious discussion and throw Greg in if you want to screw it up. Then there is Greg’s control freak problem – always banning this, banning that, what the h$ll is up with him. Greg seems bent on banning and controlling things – sure doesn’t seem conservative to me.

You can take Greg and The Five and put them where the sun doesn’t shine.

bzip on May 17, 2015 at 6:47 PM

You can take Greg and The Five and put them where the sun doesn’t shine.

bzip on May 17, 2015 at 6:47 PM

I don’t think you get it.

Mimzey on May 17, 2015 at 7:43 PM

It would be helpful if the did reruns of Red Eye at a non-insomniac hour. But I do like the re-run of Special Report; if I miss something important I can always tape or disk it.

And whatever did happen to Bill Shultz? Did those nice young men in their clean white coats finally come and take him away?

ReggieA on May 17, 2015 at 11:43 PM

ReggieA on May 17, 2015 at 11:43 PM

Ha-ha, hee-hee, ho-ho, to the funny farm. . .

Freelancer on May 18, 2015 at 1:46 AM

Sadly, I think John Stewart’s style of comedy has greater appeal than Gutfeld’s, though maybe Gutfeld will surprise me with his new show. Stewart’s agenda is promoted effectively in the packaged, scripted segments. In interviews Stewart seems like he’s performing, and he’s usually so condescending and snide. Gutfeld doesn’t seem to look down on people when he’s talking to them; actually, he’s always respectful and doesn’t try to place himself above whomever he’s talking to. I would love to see some very well-produced, scripted segments on the new show. Get some more excellent conservative comedy writers to help. There should be an agenda to this show; otherwise, it’s just a waste. Entertainment isn’t enough of a goal. And please end the broadcast worship of nicely-nice Dana Perino.

Conservatives need to fight back. Remember Breitbart. This show needs to work towards a similar goal. Mock liberalism. Don’t squander the opportunity.

bluegill on May 18, 2015 at 4:33 AM

And when I say Gutfeld is always respectful I’m ignoring the stupid insult jokes (which are meant to be funny but which I could do without.)

bluegill on May 18, 2015 at 4:35 AM

So I think Gutfeld could do a lot of good, but I think the cancer of RINOism has entered his brain and the desire to be popular among the “elite” RINO pundits has drawn him towards embracing disgraceful positions like the pro-amnesty one. Gutfeld could learn a thing or two from people like Michelle Malkin, who know what’s right and couldn’t care less if people like Charles Krauthammer or George Will like her or not.

bluegill on May 18, 2015 at 4:41 AM

Let’s not forget that both George Will and Charles Krauthammer worked for the Bush campaign against Reagan. – gryphon202 on May 16, 2015 at 5:38 PM

Horrifying if true. But neither is true.

In 1980, Krauthammer, still a liberal Dem, was a speechwriter for Walter Mondale, Carter’s VP.

In 1980, George Will helped Ronald Reagan with debate prep against Carter. He wasn’t a Bushie.

Toocon on May 18, 2015 at 6:21 AM

Or has Greg been assigned to keep the Hucksters seat warm until his campaign fizzles out.

meci on May 18, 2015 at 8:53 AM

Will there be legs?

CurtZHP on May 16, 2015 at 2:40 PM

Yes. Short ones.

trigon on May 16, 2015 at 3:44 PM

I’m pretty sure Greg has all sorts of legs in his basement. He keeps them in 50 gallon drums.

redzap on May 18, 2015 at 11:38 AM

I’m not a great fan of Gutfeld’s, particularly of his politics. In fact, when I used to watch “The Five,” I would put the TV on mute when he spoke (I did the same for Dana Perino). When Andrea Tantaros left that show, I was very disappointed–disappointed, that is, until I found that she had simply switched over to the morning Fox show “Outnumbered.” Outnumbered is far superior to “The Five,” and I watch it instead of “The Five” regularly. It’s a smarter, sharper, more conservative show than “The Five” ever has been.

I give Gutfeld credit, though, for creating a conservative talk show comedy program that has lasted so many years (namely, “Red Eye”). There were many attempts at trying to create a TV show that was both conservative and funny through the years, but only he succeeded. Now (especially since Gutfeld left) I watch “Red Eye” almost every day. I look to see who the guests are, and if they include either a liberal or or that stupid loudmouth Degan McDowell, I flick it off. Otherwise I watch it.

I can’t stand Gutfeld’s personal politics. Not only is he pro-amnesty, of course, as Bluegill points out, and not only does he support Chris Christie and Jeb Bush for president, but he’s a fanatical supporter of NSA snooping and he never saw a war he didn’t want to double down on and make larger. He definitely doesn’t support the Tea Party movement and a lot of his humor is based on belittling those the smart-power group consider to be on the conservative “fringe.”

Burke on May 18, 2015 at 11:53 AM

You think they’ll build him an entire .75 scale studio?

PJ Emeritus on May 18, 2015 at 12:37 PM

I’m not a great fan of Gutfeld’s, particularly of his politics.
Burke on May 18, 2015 at 11:53 AM

It took you multiple paragraphs to say what you could have left at your first sentence.

gryphon202 on May 19, 2015 at 1:11 PM