Evolution: Hillary no longer wants marriage left to the states, hopes the Supreme Court will rule for SSM

posted at 6:41 pm on April 15, 2015 by Allahpundit

I know what you’re thinking. Didn’t she long ago hop aboard the gay-marriage bandwagon, knowing that it’s now an absolute litmus test for Democrats? Granted, she only formally expressed her support for SSM in 2013, but surely that support encompassed a Supreme Court ruling on equal protection legalizing gay marriage nationwide. The left might tolerate her being a Wall Street crony and a hawk and about 8,000 other things they profess to loathe, but they won’t tolerate her thwarting their “Selma envy” by hedging on gay marriage. They let Obama slide on that in 2008 because it was still unclear at the time whether a pro-SSM Democrat could get elected. After 2012, it isn’t. Of course Hillary is rooting SCOTUS on.

But actually, until today … she wasn’t. Remember the NPR interview last year when she was grilled on her belated support for gay marriage? I certainly do support making it legal, said Hillary — if that’s what states want.

NPR’s TERRY GROSS: “So what’s it like when you’re in office and you have to do all these political calculations to not be able to support something like gay marriage, that you actually believe in. Obviously you feel very committed to human rights and you obviously put gay rights as part of human rights but in doing the calculus you decided you couldn’t support it. Correct me if I’m reading it wrong.”

HILLARY CLINTON: “I think you’re reading it very wrong. I think that, as I said – just as the President has said – just because you’re a politician doesn’t mean you’re not a thinking human being. You gather information, you think through positions, you’re not one hundred percent set, thank goodness, you’re constantly re-evaluating where you stand. That is true for me. We talked earlier about Iraq, for goodness sakes. So for me, marriage has always been a matter left to the states and in many of the conversations I and my colleagues and supporters had, I fully endorse the efforts by activists to work state-by-state. In fact, that is what is working and I think that being in the position that I was in the Senate, fighting employment discrimination which we still have some ways to go, was appropriate at that time.

Hillary would vote yes on SSM and Ted Cruz would vote no, but as a matter of national policy, they share the position that the states should decide whether to recognize gay marriages. Or at least, they did share it — until 10:47 p.m. last night, when Chris Geidner of BuzzFeed innocently wondered in a post whether Hillary’s still sticking to her federalist position with the Supreme Court poised to rule. Roughly 12 hours later, Geidner had his answer: Nope. In a world where sentiment on gay marriage has changed remarkably quickly, Hillary’s 12-hour “evolution” under pressure from one of the Internet’s biggest sites may be the most head-spinning:

The Obama Justice Department has argued that such bans “cannot be reconciled with the fundamental constitutional guarantee of ‘equal protection of the laws.’”

Clinton, the presumptive Democratic nominee, has not said whether she agrees with that position. Spokespeople for her campaign have repeatedly stated since Sunday that an answer is forthcoming on the question, but no answer has been provided.

And then the inevitable update from Geidner this morning:

“Hillary Clinton supports marriage equality and hopes the Supreme Court will come down on the side of same-sex couples being guaranteed that constitutional right,” Adrienne Elrod, spokesperson, Hillary for America, told BuzzFeed News. April 15, 2015, at 10:23 a.m.

Here’s my only question: Why did it take this long? Why would the prohibitive frontrunner for the Democratic nomination need to wait until a few months before SCOTUS’s decision, with BuzzFeed bearing down on her, to issue a check-the-box statement bringing her in line with the liberal orthodoxy that her old boss in the White House created? Some of you are reading that and thinking, “Swing states, obviously.” Why alienate the conservative Democrats in Ohio and Pennsylvania by being too rah-rah for court-ordered legal SSM coast to coast? The problem with that logic, though, is that she would have had to appease the left by issuing a statement celebrating the decision once it was handed down. Even if, against all odds, SCOTUS ended up siding with Hillary’s federalist position and upholding state marriage bans, she would have had no choice but to pander to her base by condemning the ruling. She was destined to end up taking the position she took today, in other words, whether or not it’ll cost her anything with swing voters. (Probably not.) In which case, why didn’t she accept reality, endorse a Supreme Court ruling for SSM last year in her NPR interview, and show the left that she doesn’t have to be dragged kicking and screaming to a position that represents an overwhelming consensus on their side? I know Hillary’s a timid, tin-eared politician, but this isn’t even Politics 101. This is Politics for Dummies. Even if she doesn’t get it, someone on her staff should have. The only explanation I can come up with, in a weird reversal of Obama 2008, is that Hillary’s actually secretly ambivalent about gay marriage and forced to pretend like she’s a fan in order to preserve her electability. I wonder how many other lefties share that perception today.

Comments

Fudge Ugly.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on April 15, 2015 at 6:45 PM

The world is being taken over by sitzpinklers.

Queers can call it whatever they want. But it is NOT marriage.

And no, I won’t do IT work for your gay wedding.

ConstantineXI on April 15, 2015 at 6:45 PM

The media’s going to be even more negligent in their vetting duties this time around. Disgusting.

Madd_Addam on April 15, 2015 at 6:49 PM

*Whew!*

I thought we were going to miss our daily HotGay post by Analpundit!

Remember kids, everyday is gay here at HotGay!

Augustinian on April 15, 2015 at 6:49 PM

Since SCOTUS has voted for everything gay that has come before it, she’s making a safe call. Republicans might as get on board.

Cindy Munford on April 15, 2015 at 6:49 PM

There is hope for Huma.

CW on April 15, 2015 at 6:49 PM

Following the Obama 2012 blueprint

weedisgood on April 15, 2015 at 6:51 PM

“If I had [another] daughter, she would ‘look’ like Hillary Clinton”.

Some attribute that quote to Richard Nixon while others to Al Capone.

VorDaj on April 15, 2015 at 6:52 PM

One thing for sure, Hillary is a One Woman Crime Syndicate and if President will be a one woman Crime Wave.

VorDaj on April 15, 2015 at 6:53 PM

The reality is that Hillary is a progressive. Anything else she says is lies, smoke and mirrors.

INC on April 15, 2015 at 6:54 PM

Does anyone doubt for one second that she’ll rule by executive fiat?

CurtZHP on April 15, 2015 at 6:55 PM

Being a bisexual swinger herself, this is as unsurprising as it is fully expected.

Maybe Hotair could post something about Hillary’s staged Iowa stop?

Star Bird on April 15, 2015 at 6:55 PM

*Whew!*

I thought we were going to miss our daily HotGay post by Analpundit!

Remember kids, everyday is gay here at HotGay!

Augustinian on April 15, 2015 at 6:49 PM

And I thought I’d miss the usual suspects bellyaching about gay threads for the umpteenth time. Why in gawd’s name do you frequent threads like this if you don’t like them?

JetBoy on April 15, 2015 at 6:55 PM

It’s important that we mark a distinct contrast with the left on this issue.

In the polls showing a rise in support for gay marriage we can expect that this support is a mile wide and an inch deep. Why don’t they measure intensity of support? Or opposition. Well, there’s a critical mass of Dem leaning Independents and even some Dems that are intensely opposed to gay marriage (and the gay militant movement) and very likely may vote Republican because of the gay issue.. IF our candidate is not a Romney (or Walker?) style mush candidate on that issue, but holds firm on conviction. On the other hand, we are going to find very few Republican leaning Independents or Republicans that would vote Democratic if our candidate took a firm stand against gay marriage. So, contrary to what just a superficial analysis of the polls may suggest, we win by being a vocal opponent of the gay militants.

Think about what i said above. There’s no logic in switching sides here. Or in going mush on it. Stand firm, and don’t fudge it!

anotherJoe on April 15, 2015 at 6:56 PM

Vagzilla is evolving.

HornetSting on April 15, 2015 at 6:58 PM

“The only explanation I can come up with, in a weird reversal of Obama 2008”

OK, that made me laugh.

“is that Hillary’s actually secretly ambivalent”

That made me laugh as well. If she were not so totally dependent on Bill’s appeal, she would dump him and marry Huma who would most likely love to dump her pervy husband. Sick, isn’t it?

Yeah, wimmin powwah!!!

Cody1991 on April 15, 2015 at 6:58 PM

Vagzilla is evolving.

HornetSting on April 15, 2015 at 6:58 PM

You just made me spit iced tea all over. Dangit.

JetBoy on April 15, 2015 at 6:59 PM

I want to know how her opinion changed as a matter of jurisprudence. It wasn’t equal protection yesterday but it is today?

crrr6 on April 15, 2015 at 7:00 PM

Vagzilla is evolving.

HornetSting on April 15, 2015 at 6:58 PM

You just made me spit iced tea all over. Dangit.

JetBoy on April 15, 2015 at 6:59 PM

Definitely time to start drinking for the evening…

ConstantineXI on April 15, 2015 at 7:00 PM

Still the funniest Hillary related thing I’ve seen all day….

portlandon on April 15, 2015 at 7:01 PM

JetBoy on April 15, 2015 at 6:55 PM

Because I know I’ll eventually get a chance to deride perverted fairies like you.

But then – why do you respond to me?

Augustinian on April 15, 2015 at 7:03 PM

Vagzilla is evolving.

HornetSting on April 15, 2015 at 6:58 PM

You just made me spit iced tea all over. Dangit.

JetBoy on April 15, 2015 at 6:59 PM

What I was going to post would have made you shoot iced tea out your nose, JB.

HornetSting on April 15, 2015 at 7:05 PM

I can’t believe Huma would dive into that decrepit smelly muff.

Not that she’s any great beauty but still…

ConstantineXI on April 15, 2015 at 7:06 PM

But then – why do you respond to me?

Augustinian on April 15, 2015 at 7:03 PM

Because their battle cry is, “We will make you care partake!”

Steve Eggleston on April 15, 2015 at 7:12 PM

Couples only?!?!?!??! What about bisexuals?????!!!!!11!1!1!1!??

Nutstuyu on April 15, 2015 at 7:14 PM

homosexuality is both a mental disease and a sin….but the homosexuals have made it more trouble than it is worth to focus any kind of negative attention on them….in that sense they are victorious…however, due to the histrionic and vitriolic nature of the homosexual mental aberration i fully expect homosexuals to overplay their hand and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory over the next 15 years as homosexuality is exposed for the disease-ridden moral disaster that it is and is forced eventually back into a kind of marginalized silent rage that is their historic place……if heterosexuals were not providing them with free anti-AIDS treatments their numbers would today be decimated and their retreat would be already in evidence….if the AIDS virus mutates into a resistant form, which is the usual pattern with pathogens and anti-pathogenic antibiosis, their numbers will collapse and the lifestyle will be isolated again……all that stands between gay marriage on the one extreme and decimation on the other are the anti-retrovirals, not politics, religion, or the state…and as far as curing ‘gayism’ i don’t think its possible….but if an end stage alcoholic can, by treatment and rehab, be taught how to never take another drink then the same can be done with the external behaviors of the homosexual if it becomes a desired goal similar to the desirableness of sobriety

clandestine on April 15, 2015 at 7:15 PM

What isn’t forbidden is compulsory.

Iblis on April 15, 2015 at 7:15 PM

VorDaj on April 15, 2015 at 7:15 PM

Her Thighness is thinking about her future with Huma

rik on April 15, 2015 at 7:15 PM

Couples only?!?!?!??! What about bisexuals?????!!!!!11!1!1!1!??

Nutstuyu on April 15, 2015 at 7:14 PM

What about the polygamists, bigamists, bestials, incesters, and pederasts (Can’t leave out Senator Reid)?

Why is Hillary discriminating against them?

ConstantineXI on April 15, 2015 at 7:16 PM

crrr6 on April 15, 2015 at 7:00 PM

And didn’t one if iur resident trolls tell us the other day what a phenomenal lawyer Killary was?

Nutstuyu on April 15, 2015 at 7:17 PM

…but they won’t tolerate her thwarting their “Selma envy”

“I ain’t no ways fabulous…”

Meh, I don’t fault a person for changing their mind about something…but I do question the timing. Just like The One, and a bunch of congressional Dems during the last election cycle, their “evolution” on SSM is nothing but blatant pandering. Either the Left is simply too stoopit to realize it, or too phoney to care.

JetBoy on April 15, 2015 at 7:18 PM

Granny in a big ole black bus. Eating burrito’s. Drinking tea, and evolving-dissolving what her unfaithful, hoe husband signed into law.

go, Granny, go Granny!

Key West Reader on April 15, 2015 at 7:18 PM

Why is Hillary discriminating against them?

ConstantineXI on April 15, 2015 at 7:16 PM

Wait 9-15 months. She won’t be divorcing Bill, but her marital status will change.

Steve Eggleston on April 15, 2015 at 7:19 PM

But then – why do you respond to me?

Augustinian on April 15, 2015 at 7:03 PM

Because their battle cry is, “We will make you care partake!”

Steve Eggleston on April 15, 2015 at 7:12 PM

Yep. Because rationalized dysfunction always views normalcy as a threat.

Augustinian on April 15, 2015 at 7:19 PM

clandestine on April 15, 2015 at 7:15 PM

Ruh roh. I hope you don’t own a pizzeria. :-/

Nutstuyu on April 15, 2015 at 7:19 PM

Beginning to wonder if this entire campaign is an abortion in progress.

Key West Reader on April 15, 2015 at 7:20 PM

I am so effing sick of teh gheys

The Notorious G.O.P on April 15, 2015 at 7:21 PM

Steve Eggleston on April 15, 2015 at 7:19 PM

Hillary hates Weiner. But Weiner is going to appear on the trail.

BotchedAbort = Hillary 2016

Key West Reader on April 15, 2015 at 7:21 PM

Ruh roh. I hope you don’t own a pizzeria. :-/

Nutstuyu on April 15, 2015 at 7:19 PM

I make a damn good Pizza Quick sauce Italian bread pizza.

And no, I won’t make any for a gay wedding.

ConstantineXI on April 15, 2015 at 7:22 PM

hopes the Supreme Court will rule for SSM

With that pic of Killary…

I would even go SSM…

Electrongod on April 15, 2015 at 7:23 PM

What I was going to post would have made you shoot iced tea out your nose, JB.

HornetSting on April 15, 2015 at 7:05 PM

Heh…brand spankin’ new $50 white oxford shirt I had on too.

JetBoy on April 15, 2015 at 7:23 PM

I make a damn good Pizza Quick sauce Italian bread pizza.

And no, I won’t make any for a gay wedding.

ConstantineXI on April 15, 2015 at 7:22 PM

Who orders a catered wedding with Pizza as the main course?

Nobody, that’s who.

/The MSM shoulda stuck to the cakes.

Key West Reader on April 15, 2015 at 7:24 PM

I can’t believe Huma would dive into that decrepit smelly muff.

Not that she’s any great beauty but still…

ConstantineXI on April 15, 2015 at 7:06 PM

By most standards (the ones we might believe acceptable) Huma would have gone by the wayside given her husband’s lack of judgment and reliability. Not so for Hill and her lackeys.

There’s probably much more to the relationship other than a lesbian romance.

But everything about the Clintons is revolting and grotesque, so what can one say?

Cody1991 on April 15, 2015 at 7:24 PM

“I ain’t no ways fabulous…”

JetBoy on April 15, 2015 at 7:18 PM

It’s also pandering when the GOP (Grand Ole Progressives) cowardly evolve into endorsing your f@ggotry.

So you can stop with the feigned indignation towards the Left.

Augustinian on April 15, 2015 at 7:25 PM

or too phoney to care.

JetBoy on April 15, 2015 at 7:18 PM

That. More power is the ONLY principle. By any means necessary.

GrumpyOldFart on April 15, 2015 at 7:27 PM

“Ok, if I say this, how many will vote for me?”

“Ok, if I say that, how many will vote for me?”….

Spineless, morally-bankrupt lib weasels…

hillsoftx on April 15, 2015 at 7:28 PM

I’m already tired of typing this.

Politicians lie.

corona79 on April 15, 2015 at 7:31 PM

Why alienate the conservative Democrats in Ohio and Pennsylvania

There is still such a thing as conservative Ds?

cat_owner on April 15, 2015 at 7:31 PM

“Ok, if I say this, how many will vote for me?”

“Ok, if I say that, how many will vote for me?”….

Spineless, morally-bankrupt lib weasels…

hillsoftx on April 15, 2015 at 7:28 PM

Because the GOP is different? This is typical behavior for any elected official.

Tlaloc on April 15, 2015 at 7:50 PM

Wink Wink

Bmore on April 15, 2015 at 7:58 PM

This is typical behavior for any elected official.

Tlaloc on April 15, 2015 at 7:50 PM

Prove it. Such a simple and easy thing to claim.

CW on April 15, 2015 at 8:04 PM

So, Hillary is for an even greater amount of federal-government power than she was as a flaming liberal back in 2008.

GaltBlvnAtty on April 15, 2015 at 8:06 PM

Today’s email from Team Killary:

Welcome to the campaign — we’re so glad to have you.

We’ve got one goal here: For Hillary Clinton to secure the Democratic nomination and then win 270 electoral votes to become President.

Help kick it off. Chip in $5 or more and become a founding donor right now.

That’s our goal, but the truth is, this campaign is not about Hillary Clinton.

It’s about Americans who are trying to build better lives for themselves and their families.

Those families are counting on us to win — they’re counting on a president who will be their champion. Here’s how we’re going to do it:

We’re humble. We’re not taking anything for granted. We will out-work our opponents and fight for every vote we can win.

We’re disciplined. We’re driven by strategy, not tactics or the horserace. There will be rough days — but we’ll bounce back and work even harder.

And just as importantly, we’ll have fun. This is going to be tough, but it’s an incredible privilege and honor to try and elect the 45th President of the United States. We won’t forget that.

I’m so grateful to be on board as campaign manager — and I’m glad you’re a part of this work. I hope you’ll step up and own a piece of it:

Thanks,

Robby

Robby Mook
Campaign Manager
Hillary for America

22044 on April 15, 2015 at 8:29 PM

“I ain’t no ways fabulous…”

JetBoy on April 15, 2015 at 7:18 PM

So why does she get a pass when any GOP’er that even tried to change would still be tarred and feathered by the SJWs.

Because the FACTS are that it’s not about homosexuality… but Social-ization period.

Don’t worry – We’ll be following Putin and Castro soon enough.

Live by the government sword…

Skywise on April 15, 2015 at 8:44 PM

Skywise on April 15, 2015 at 8:44 PM

Why do liberals always seem to get a pass…no matter what they say or do from one day to the next? Do I really need to answer that one for you?

And to be sure, I don’t give her…or a GOPer who does the same thing…a pass. I respect convictions, even if I might not agree with each and every one a candidate has.

JetBoy on April 15, 2015 at 8:54 PM

JetBoy on April 15, 2015 at 8:54 PM

I know YOU don’t give her a pass… but your CAUSE does and, more importantly, is

Where’s the social justice rioting that was going after Memories Pizza last week? Where’s Tim Cook? Where’s the Democrat city governors running economic boycotts against another state?

Oh wait… there’s a D after her name.

Skywise on April 15, 2015 at 9:03 PM

Prove it. Such a simple and easy thing to claim.

CW on April 15, 2015 at 8:04 PM

Really? You actually think GOP politicians don’t tailor their messages for the audience? Why do you think it’s become so common for campaign operatives from the other side to attend private speeches? They all hope to get another “47%” comment where a candidate says something to a private group they know wouldn’t fly with the general public.

Given how much you guys complain bout the GOP running as conservatives and governing as moderates I’m rather surprised you’re so skeptical.

Tlaloc on April 15, 2015 at 10:04 PM

I know YOU don’t give her a pass… but your CAUSE does and, more importantly, is

Oh wait… there’s a D after her name.

Skywise on April 15, 2015 at 9:03 PM

She didn’t promise to deny people access to food based on their sexuality, now did she? So not really comparable to the memories pizza idiot.

but feel free to try an tell us why it’s totally the same thing…

Tlaloc on April 15, 2015 at 10:07 PM

This is typical behavior for any elected official.

Tlaloc on April 15, 2015 at 7:50 PM

A lot of them, yes. The difference I see is not so much in the politicians, but in the voters who support them.

When a GOP politician says something that turns out to be a lie, the conservative base gets outraged over it. When a GOP politician commits a crime, the conservative base is happy when they go to jail.

When a Democrat politician lies, what do we hear from all you leftists? “Meh, big deal” is as close to outrage as you guys ever get, and sometimes the response is praise.

When a Democrat politician commits a crime, what do we hear from all you leftists? “Meh, big deal” is as close to outrage as you guys ever get, and sometimes the response is praise.

You’ve proved it over and over again. You don’t care if they’re thugs, you don’t care if they’re crooks, you don’t care if they’re sociopaths… just so long as they win, and your team gets more power.

GrumpyOldFart on April 15, 2015 at 10:10 PM

Tlaloc on April 15, 2015 at 10:07 PM

Do you think there’s anyone on the planet who is going to miss a meal because they couldn’t get food at Memories Pizza?

On the other hand, you are perfectly comfortable with Baronnelle Stutzman being bankrupted and imprisoned based on her religion, aren’t you?

GrumpyOldFart on April 15, 2015 at 10:14 PM

but feel free to try an tell us why it’s totally the same thing…

Tlaloc on April 15, 2015 at 10:07 PM

She, a high-ranking government official, decided that gay people shouldn’t be married have their rights denied and continue the hate and oppression they face every day.

The pizza place (as you well know) said they’d serve gay customers, they just wouldn’t cater a gay wedding.

Guess that’s not comparable huh? But somehow I think you’d be supporting Memories Pizza if the waitress had a D after her name.

Skywise on April 15, 2015 at 10:43 PM

Dietary orientation equality to too important to be left to the states. Coprophagiaphobia cannot be reconciled with the fundamental constitutional guarantee of ‘equal protection of the laws.’ “That’s why Hillary Clinton supports dietary orientation equality and hopes the Supreme Court will come down on the side of coprophagiacs of all races, colors, creeds, genders, and anything else you can think of being guaranteed the constitutional right to dine as, where and how they like,” said a Clinton spokesperson while displaying a peculiar grin.

Mason on April 16, 2015 at 1:32 AM

Should SSM be a discussion left to sovereign nations or should the UN impose their standards?

Skywise on April 16, 2015 at 9:58 AM

Many children are now coming forward and detailing the way that their lives have been negatively impacted by being raised in a Gay family. No one wants to address this because it is not politically correct but it is an issue that will grow as more and more Gays get married. Even some Gays have come out against this. The devolution of the traditional family is going to destroy us.

fight like a girl on April 16, 2015 at 10:48 AM