Politinerds: RNC Chairman Reince Priebus

posted at 10:01 am on March 20, 2015 by Jazz Shaw

PolitinerdsHotAir

The Chairman of the RNC joined Doug and I for this week’s edition of Politinerds. Before getting to the politics, we found out that Reince was Jersey Shore long before he was a cheesehead. You’ll hear about his family ties in Greece and what he learned about American politics by following his grandfather around Athens. He also explained why somebody would choose the world of party politics over being a partner in a successful law firm. As far as the national committee goes, we asked him about what he did to drag the RNC out of debt and how he is deploying their resources for 2016. We also touch on the challenges of dealing with internal warring factions and a wide variety of candidates all vying for the attention of the base.

My favorite quote, regarding the changes he has made to the primary and debate schedule:

I can’t control everyone’s mouth, but I can control how long we have to kill each other.

The Chairman was a great guest and very generous with his time. Enjoy the interview.

Comments

Say what you will…he pulled off a miracle this last election.

Brilliant strategy, brilliant ground game, one of the historical elections and he was the mastermind behind it.

I know the naysayers are out there, but what he did was amazing…you have got to give him credit for that huge win.

The problem is…we are throwing that win away, wasting it…

right2bright on March 20, 2015 at 10:09 AM

The Chairman of the RNC joined Doug and I

Townhall, also send Jazz Shaw to that remedial English class. It is “me” not “I” in that instance.

Sorry, but I’m tired of reading bad English.

rbj on March 20, 2015 at 10:11 AM

What’s a “Reince?”

Galtian on March 20, 2015 at 10:14 AM

Question for Prince Riebus: Why did the RNC hire Liz Mair, who is openly anti life, for open border amnesty AND gay “marriage”?

ConstantineXI on March 20, 2015 at 10:15 AM

lather, reince, repeat?

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on March 20, 2015 at 10:16 AM

Reince Priebus?

Is not a Lee Atwater.

I knew Lee Atwater (played damn fine Blues all over the DC club circuit back in the day) and this Reince Priebus character?

Sure as hell is no Lee Atwater.

We could use someone like Atwater these days.

Strategy. Focus. Message. Identifying those hills that are well worth dying for. Ignoring the idle chatter. Culling the herd when necessary. But, above all, making sure that what the party stood for was precisely what the candidate stood for.

Reince Priebus cannot even identify what it is that makes one a Republican, cannot even identify what is vital to Conservatism in America today.

Is still fighting that grade-school battle, well, Obama did this, and Harry Reid did that…turning what should have been a successful midterm into a command over the political process in DC…but…instead…is trying to keep the candidates from, in his words, “killing each other.”

Well, Reince, have you figured out yet WHY they want to kill each other, decimate their own ranks long before the actual battle has begun?

Ever consider principles over personalities? Culling that herd early on?

Getting all candidates on board? Laying out the message, the strategy, or otherwise marshaling the RNC’s resources to actually be a winning party instead of this victimhood crap, or schoolyard banter?

The Nation is in peril.

What, precisely, is the GOP doing about it? Today?

Answer those questions before you can even hope to find answers to what the GOP could, should or would do at some point long long down the road.

God, I miss Lee.

coldwarrior on March 20, 2015 at 10:17 AM

Sorry, but I’m tired of reading bad English.

rbj on March 20, 2015 at 10:11 AM

i’m gonna half too agree wit you.

Walter L. Newton on March 20, 2015 at 10:18 AM

This guy is just another lying RINO who made all kinds of promises in Nov and did not deliver on any of them. Republicans are in one with the Democrats and have allowed obama to change Amerika into a 3rd world country. I am no longer a republican!

hardrock230 on March 20, 2015 at 10:21 AM

hardrock230 on March 20, 2015 at 10:21 AM

The Republican Party is no longer separable from the Democrat Party nor recognizable as a second party because of leadership like Prince Riebus’s.

ConstantineXI on March 20, 2015 at 10:25 AM

Rancid Preibus is just another lying bagman for his rich, liberal donors.

Wigglesworth on March 20, 2015 at 10:29 AM

OT – another obama ‘success’ in foreign policy, Yemen.

Schadenfreude on March 20, 2015 at 10:38 AM

The problem is…we are throwing that win away, wasting it…

right2bright on March 20, 2015 at 10:09 AM

The DC rats wasted it before they were sworn in.

Schadenfreude on March 20, 2015 at 10:59 AM

Just saw a copy of RNC debate rules.

“Don’t UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES ask Jeb any tough questions.

Topics that are off limits-

1. Immigration
2. Common Core
3. Bush “fatigue”

Anyone who puts Jeb on the spot or is generally “mean” towards him WILL be disqualified and will NOT receive their chamber of commerce checks.

Remember, Jeb is the nominee. You all have a role to play, however.

Scripts will be mailed out 5 days prior to the debates, and there will be rehearsals the night before to make sure everyone knows their lines.

We hope that we have made ourself clear.”

Redstone on March 20, 2015 at 12:08 PM

I actually think he’s done a fairly good job overall. Now we will see how things work out in the general next year.

cat_owner on March 20, 2015 at 12:12 PM

Jazz, the first sentence should read:
“The Chairman of the RNC joined Doug and me. . .” or
“Doug and I were joined by the Chairman of the RNC. . .”

A.S.R. on March 20, 2015 at 12:19 PM

Jazz, the first sentence should read:
“The Chairman of the RNC joined Doug and me. . .” or
“Doug and I were joined by the Chairman of the RNC. . .”
A.S.R. on March 20, 2015 at 12:19 PM

Exactly right.

bluegill on March 20, 2015 at 12:29 PM

S

ay what you will…he pulled off a miracle this last election.

The problem is…we are throwing that win away, wasting it…

right2bright on March 20, 2015 at 10:09 AM

Did you forget the snark tag?

Cuz you can’t possibly be serious. The 2010 and 2014 election waves happened IN SPITE OF RNC PR BS, not because of him.

hrh40 on March 20, 2015 at 1:31 PM

I wrongly accuse Jazz Shaw of being a “RINO” at times, but his lefty views fully represent the modern Republican. He’s a consummate party insider.

Conservatives are the RINOs.

sauldalinsky on March 20, 2015 at 3:54 PM

…had to make it 20 comments…for Rinsed Peni$!

JugEarsButtHurt on March 20, 2015 at 11:45 PM

right2bright on March 20, 2015 at 10:09 AM

Don’t you think he shares some responsibility for undermining conservative candidates and for propping up a leadership who, everyone knows, had little intention of using this historic electoral gain that he worked so hard for?

virgo on March 20, 2015 at 11:55 PM