Ted Cruz stands alone after the King Corn summit

posted at 9:31 am on March 8, 2015 by Jazz Shaw

Yesterday we covered the acid test of prospective candidates for 2016 in Iowa when it comes to ethanol subsidies and the Renewable Fuel Standard. At that time I promised that I would report back to you on how the 2016 hopefuls did in this admittedly daunting challenge to conservative politicians. I’m sorry to say that, as the WSJ reported for us, the results were less than impressive in most cases.

Let’s start with the bad news. First up… Rick Perry.

[T]he former governor of a petroleum-rich state [Governor Perry] suggested he didn’t think it would be fair to end the RFS while oil companies continued to benefit from tax breaks. “I don’t think you pull the RFS out and discriminate against the RFS and leave all these other subsidies,” he said.

Jeb Bush acted like the RFS is a bad toy, but had no plans to put it back in the cupboard.

“The markets are ultimately going to have to decide this,” said Mr. Bush, who declined to set a firm deadline for ending the fuel standard imposed a decade ago by his brother, former President George W. Bush. “Whether that’s 2022 or sometime in the future I don’t know,” he said.

Chris Christie left no room for doubt.

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie was clearer about his position, saying he “absolutely” supported the fuel standard.

Mike Huckabee is at least consistent.

Mike Huckabee argued that support for ethanol is good national security policy, helping to reduce U.S. dependence on oil imports. He then quipped his support for the corn-based fuel wasn’t about pandering to Iowans because of their important role in the presidential nominating process.

Rick Santorum also stuck to his unsatisfactory 2012 answer.

Former Senator Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania, who won the 2012 Iowa Republican caucuses, said ethanol “creates jobs in small-town and rural America, which is where people are hurting.”

From the same Bloomberg article, Lindsey Graham just played to the crowd.

South Carolina Senator Lindsey Graham expressed strong support for ethanol in his appearance. “Every gallon of ethanol you can produce here in Iowa is one less gallon to have to buy from people who hate your guts,” he said.

Perhaps most disappointing, Scott Walker:

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker backed the RFS, saying that while he tends to oppose government intervention, a marketplace issue exists for ethanol. He said consumers do not have the same access to corn-based fuel as gasoline, and because of that there’s a need for the standard.

“Right now we don’t have a free and open marketplace, and so that’s why I’m going to take that position,” he said.

I’ve been building up some early hopes for you, Governor Walker, but I must say this was a big let down.

And then there was this guy…

CruzIowa

When asked if he would support the Renewable Fuel Standard he just said no. And then he put out some hard truths which seemed to earn him the respect a difficult answer deserved.

“I recognize that this is a gathering of a lot of folks where the answer you’d like me to give is ‘I’m for the RFS, darnit;’ that’d be the easy thing to do,” he said. “But I’ll tell you, people are pretty fed up, I think, with politicians who run around and tell one group one thing, tell another group another thing, and then they go to Washington and they don’t do anything that they said they would do. And I think that’s a big part of the reason we have the problems we have in Washington, is there have been career politicians in both parties that aren’t listening to the American people and aren’t doing what they said they would do.”

And the crowd applauded, giving Cruz the warmest welcome so far.

Hot air reached out to the Cruz campaign about how he managed such an answer.

“Ted Cruz is straightforward about what he believes, whether he is in Iowa, Texas, or Washington DC. We need more leaders who tell the truth about what they will do and the response to that kind of honesty is very positive.”

I have to say, this was a potential game changer for me. I know that I probably put off some of you with my seemingly endless fascination with energy issues in general and ethanol subsidies in particular. It’s a sort of wonky subject, but I feel it’s an important one. And this forum in Iowa was, in my view, a test of character for the nascent candidates on a matter of vital interest.

I’ve expressed doubts in the past about the long term viability of Ted Cruz on the national stage, particularly given the horribly effective way the media has sold the “crazy wingnut” stories to the public. But this guy has demonstrated the kind of intestinal fortitude that is far too often lacking in GOP leaders, and he certainly showed those qualities once again in Iowa. Take this as a benchmark for the coming campaign. There weren’t many clear standouts here, but the Best in Show was clearly a winner.

Comments

damn socons

davidk on March 8, 2015 at 6:52 PM

PREACH IT, brother !

listens2glenn on March 8, 2015 at 7:06 PM

This is a costly federal program that inflates food and energy prices, gums up engines, and reduces mileage. It’s insanity.

And it’s puzzling why so many R politicians want to double talk on the ethanol or wind power or global warming issues because outside of Iowa they will only get grief from conservatives on it, and from the left and the MSM they will only get grief about their wobbly evasiveness. Better to just be firm in taking the conservative position. And in fact the audience reaction suggests that Cruz’s forthright position is actually the winning position even among Iowa conservatives. This should be a no-brainer.

But Scott Walker again takes a disappointing squish / issue skirting position.

Essentially Walker is now saying ~ “You need ‘balance’ between the fact that the subsidies are horrible and the need to support Iowans with it.”
——- ——- ——- ——- ——-
Like the need for “balance” Walker talks about on immigration?

Walker, without any passion, says softly that “We need a ‘balance’ between between being ‘a nation of immigrants’ and that of being a nation of laws.” No, there’s obviously now an IMBALANCE in the immigration system. Cruz plainly shows his outrage about this. Look at the hordes that have been flooding over the border while the border guards just stand by twiddling their thumbs. Is that “balance?” Where’s Walker’s outrage about the current illegal menace?

Walker is showing the same stolid lack of passion on the illegal immigration issue (video at link) now as he did in 2013 when he, after Rubio’s bill had passed, said like an automaton that he’s “not for any of the legislation that’s being kicked around.” But Walker was so passionless. Walker may not have said he was for the Schumer / Rubio bill, but he clearly wasn’t against it either. Remember we were all up in arms against the Rubio bill. Not Walker.

And here’s Walker singing the praises for Rubio, just a few weeks ago! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNJ-8Gwv-_k&info=WalkerPraisesRubio

anotherJoe on March 8, 2015 at 7:07 PM

Mostly I’m just grateful that his fanaticism makes him utterly incompetent at accomplishing his goals.
Tlaloc on March 8, 2015 at 6:07 PM

Now that’s a statement from the pit of hell and the sign of a deranged mind.

“I’m just happy that the people are so politically ignorant that they cannot recognize someone who is trying to restore Constitutional government.”

And you celebrate this. You are one sick pup, Tlaloc.

Cleombrotus on March 8, 2015 at 7:13 PM

There is another aspect that I haven’t seen mentioned. By subsidizing corn for ethanol, there is less corn for its primary purpose as feed for cattle. I don’t think its a coincidence that beef is going through the roof at the same time as ethanol subsidies keep rising. I could be wrong, I haven’t done any real research on the subject.
OpportunityCost on March 8, 2015 at 1:45 PM

That’s actually not true. Cattle prefer the mash byproduct from the processed corn.

Nutstuyu on March 8, 2015 at 7:21 PM

Daryl, I’ve had negative devout Christian influences in my life, but I cannot say they were acting in a Christian manner. I left the faith for a long time before realizing my heart belongs to Christ. We were given free will for a reason. Choose wisely.

njrob on March 8, 2015 at 12:07 PM

I agree that bad behavior on the part of professed Christians (or adherents to any religion for that matter), is very rarely the fault of the core religion. In my case, it was indeed the fault of very sketchy and extreme interpretations, but applied with sincerity and good intentions. It just did not work out as advertised.

As for free will, it is only free until government gets involved. As for choosing wisely, I’ll do my best but must confess to many bad choices in the past. I’m trying to do better.

Daryl on March 8, 2015 at 7:26 PM

Perhaps most disappointing, Scott Walker:

Wait, what? I was an Economics major, and that don’t make no sense.

We don’t want that cr*p in our tanks to begin with. And we don’t want to pay the taxes and subsidies to have the privilege of putting that cr*p in our tanks. So Walker wants the feds to force some sort of “market” on us to force us to buy it. Sounds somehow like Obamacare. Not good.

anotherJoe on March 8, 2015 at 7:34 PM

Tlaloc on March 8, 2015 at 6:07 PM

Still haven’t given your wife a chance to trade-up yet, hmm? Poor woman.

Midas on March 8, 2015 at 7:40 PM

Walker losing, Cruz winning. I may have to move my marbles to the Texas Senator.

J.B. Say on March 8, 2015 at 7:57 PM

Jazz, you covered the opinions of such hopefuls hopelesses as Graham & Santorum.

Why didn’t you mention Jindal’s take?

Jindal has far more HA fans that those other two combined & doubled.

itsnotaboutme on March 8, 2015 at 7:58 PM

…I looked it up for you, Jazz:

Mr. Jindal proposed phasing out the energy standard as part of his energy plan released last year.

itsnotaboutme on March 8, 2015 at 8:04 PM

Here’s RedState’s piece on Jindal’s energy plan:

itsnotaboutme on March 8, 2015 at 8:09 PM

You strongly implied that hispanics would be dumb enough to vote for a terrible candidate simply because his name is “Cruz.”

Tlaloc on March 8, 2015 at 6:05 PM

Your comment is rediculuously subjective. Do you hate Cruz so much that you think anyone voting for him is stupid? Get off this thread you POS troll!!!

Old Country Boy on March 8, 2015 at 8:19 PM

Jazz ,
I have a whole new level of respect for you .
Well done .

Lucano on March 8, 2015 at 8:23 PM

Here’s RedState’s piece on Jindal’s energy plan:

itsnotaboutme on March 8, 2015 at 8:09 PM

Thank you for linking that!!!

IMO, Jindal ROCKS! He’s a natural born problem-solver, very pragmatic yet visionary at the same time.

I agree with Dan McLaughlin. Jindal is setting the tone for serious policy proposals from Republican candidates.

lineholder on March 8, 2015 at 8:29 PM

You say that like “intestinal fortitude” and “long term viability” are the same thing, but that’s not generally true, and it’s very not true with Cruz.

Cruz quite clearly has decided to make a career of milking conservative rubes of their cash and votes with no intention of actually making any changes nationally. You can see this because instead of reaching out to build agreement he’s always in attack mode. The answer you highlight is full of shots at the other contenders and at Iowa politics.

Now you may think those shots are well founded, even necessary, but it doesn’t change the fact that Cruz turns off everyone except the absolute die hard right. And he very much seems to like it that way.

Tlaloc on March 8, 2015 at 4:25 PM

Hilarious! You provide a HuffPo link for polling results where ‘YouGov’ is featured/sourced over 40 times in the 70-some odd polls they used to arrive at the Cruz figures in a sad and pathetic attempt to bolster your assertion vis-à-vis his popularity AND his core support. Tell me something genius, did you even bother looking at the actual internals of ANY of these polls??

YouGov Poll sampling for:
1/3/15-1/5/15
(D) 40%
(I) 32%
(R) 28%

And for:

2/21/15-2/23/15
(D) 36%
(I) 32%
(R) 32%

And can you guess what the almost predictable “Unfavorable Rating” came out to be?

1/3-1/5 —–> Unfavorable +12

2/21-2/23 –> Unfavorable +5

Interesting how that works out, ‘eh moonbat? And I picked those 2 out randomly. Good ol’ YouGov! I wonder what other goodies may be behind those poll numbers?

tanked59 on March 8, 2015 at 8:30 PM

Look at this one from 1/31 – 2/2:

(D) 36%
(I) 38%
(R) 26%

Guess what we see for Sen. Cruz? Another ‘Unfavorable +12’…..Imagine that!

tanked59 on March 8, 2015 at 8:39 PM

Way to go, Senator. On the foundation of “personal character”, you have won my vote. So far.

Jaibones on March 8, 2015 at 8:50 PM

Well, if you people go and nominate Ted Cruz, where are you going to find a running mate for him? Besides Mike Lee is there anyone else in politics with ethics on par with these two? Every single other person in politics is a slimy dirty freak.

paulsur on March 8, 2015 at 9:06 PM

It’s hard for an informed freedom loving American to not like Cruz. He understands the big picture, right on almost every issue, intelligent, accomplished and as courageous as you would expect someone with little to lose. The only thing that keeps me from plastering his bumper stickers across our cars may seem silly, but it’s something that I’ve learned to respect. It’s an intuitive sense that something’s not right: the squinted eyebrows when he needs to sound earnest and empathetic seems over the top. The little body quivers and smug expression he betrays when he’s a little too proud of himself over something he’s saying.

This may be overblown. After all, he’s just a man, not a demigod like Obama. Giving his background and accomplishments, he’s entitled to be a bit full of himself on occasion. But if it goes too far, it can lead to critical errors that erode any gains that he makes, or at least can easily be mischaracterized to have done so. He’s flawed, but Jesus is not on the ballot against him.

elfman on March 8, 2015 at 9:39 PM

I decided on Cruz for Prez 2015 months ago because of things like this.

glsmith36 on March 8, 2015 at 9:55 PM

I’ll take the “attack mode” … there’s a whole lot of ‘rhetorical attacking ‘ that needs to be done, on the “Hill.”

In my lifetime, “compromise” has only happened when Republicans moved left. Never, have Democrats moved right, for the sake of “compromise.”

It’s way past time for attacking, on the part of ANYONE on the right.

Does Cruz just venting his spleen actually accomplish anything? Can you name one thing Cruz has actually gotten done that didn’t immediately blow up in his face (like the government shutdown).

Tlaloc on March 8, 2015 at 4:25 PM

As opposed to Ronaldus Magnus?

listens2glenn on March 8, 2015 at 7:05 PM

I have no love for Reagan but the man was quite charismatic and very capable of swaying people to his side. Cruz is abrasive and asinine and has alientated basically every one in government except lee in the senate and 20-30 hardcore conservatives in the house.

Tlaloc on March 8, 2015 at 10:16 PM

Now that’s a statement from the pit of hell and the sign of a deranged mind.

And you celebrate this. You are one sick pup, Tlaloc.

Cleombrotus on March 8, 2015 at 7:13 PM

Your notion of “constitutional government” and mine are miles apart.

Besides which if Cruz were rally trying to make changes he’d be making allies and convincing people. Instead he’s a conservative demagogue which guarantees he has no support even in his own party caucus.

He’s not trying to change things, he’s just pretending to be what you want so he can fleece you.

Tlaloc on March 8, 2015 at 10:19 PM

Still haven’t given your wife a chance to trade-up yet, hmm? Poor woman.

Midas on March 8, 2015 at 7:40 PM

Woman?

Tlaloc on March 8, 2015 at 10:20 PM

Old Country Boy on March 8, 2015 at 8:19 PM

A) yes anyone voting for cruz is dumb since he’s a con man, but,

B) that’s not what I was saying, I was saying that voting for someone because of the apparent ethnicity of their name is dumb. Oh and,

C) learn to read, please.

Tlaloc on March 8, 2015 at 10:22 PM

Hilarious! You provide a HuffPo link for polling results

It’s a poll aggregator. You know those things that work really well but republicans inexplicably refuse to use?

tanked59 on March 8, 2015 at 8:30 PM

I’m going to stop you right there. You proceed to launch into yet another “unskewing” of the polls as if 2012 had never happened…but it did happen and you stood around slack jawed as all the arguments you made about why the polls could not possible correct turned out to be complete BS.

Learn from it, tanked. Stop being so gullible as to repeat the same mistakes.

Tlaloc on March 8, 2015 at 10:25 PM

Hilarious! You provide a HuffPo link for polling results

Of course it is. An aggregate with suspect sampling methodology (which was the point of my post and which you failed to address), and as for what Republicans do or do not refuse to use, that is irrelevant to my post…but, not unexpected from you.

tanked59 on March 8, 2015 at 8:30 PM

I’m going to stop you right there.

“Stop” me? Stop me from doing what, pointing out the hilarity and absurdity of your post I responded to? And the likes of you could not and would not ever “stop” me, in any way, shape or form.

“Unskewing”? Is that what you call my pointing out the internal numbers from YOUR link? Hilarious, you moonbats are a riot!

I never made such an argument Lumpy, here or anywhere else. You can scour the archives to your little heart’s content and you will find — nichts….Which makes you a liar, Lumpy.

Learn from it, tanked. Stop being so gullible as to repeat the same mistakes.

Tlaloc on March 8, 2015 at 10:25 PM

“Learn from it, tanked.” I did….I learned that you are the typical leftist barking moonbat, which is actually no surprise…

tanked59 on March 8, 2015 at 10:45 PM

Why have you run away from my question, Tlaloc?

Because it very clearly falls exactly in that group…

Tlaloc on March 7, 2015 at 7:11 PM

I see. So when I object to the NAACP celebrating a decision that it’s okay to discriminate against someone based on their skin color and ethnicity, but only if they are white, I am a “threatened member of the privileged class loudly b*tching because the ‘others’ may get equal opportunities.”

So tell me, if you can: How does saying “You can be admitted to the university because you’re black, but you can’t because you are white” represent “equal opportunity”?

GrumpyOldFart on March 7, 2015 at 8:57 PM

It’s not even halfway down the page yet.

I’m still waiting for your answer. Since you’re obviously the most brilliant and knowledgeable person here, I was counting on you to educate me from your font of wisdom.

GrumpyOldFart on March 8, 2015 at 10:47 PM

PRINCETON, N.J. — Conservatives continued to outnumber moderates and liberals in the U.S. population in 2014, as they have since 2009. However, their 14-percentage-point edge over liberals last year, 38% vs. 24%, is the smallest in Gallup’s trends since 1992. The percentage of U.S. adults identifying themselves as politically conservative in 2014 was unchanged from 2013, as was the percentage of moderates, at 34%, while the percentage considering themselves liberal rose a percentage point for the third straight year.

Learn from it, Lumpy.

tanked59 on March 8, 2015 at 10:53 PM

GrumpyOldFart on March 8, 2015 at 10:47 PM

Your answer from Lumpy will be:

a) supposition
b) conjecture
c) hyperbole
d) all of the above

tanked59 on March 8, 2015 at 11:09 PM

Compromise really is a dirty word. You can’t compromise with murderers: “OK, we’ll only paralyze them from the neck down”. You can’t compromise with rapists (and I won’t even use a descriptive example). Similarly you can’t compromise with anti-Conservative forces and remain a conservative. Cruz is the man.

Igor R. on March 8, 2015 at 11:32 PM

Which i exactly what you guys said about the 2012 polls, and you were dead wrong, but hey don’t let a complete history of failure dissuade you from trying the same thing again. And again. And again.

I tried to stop you from making an obvious embarrassing blunder, but you’re right about one thing: if you’re absolutely determined to engage in the same idiotic unskewing BS again, and you seem to be, I can’t make you smarten up.

uh yeah, in 2012 you thought you knew so much better than the posters what the electorate looked like. Then it turned out you were dead wrong. Now in 2014…you think you know so much better than the posters what the electorate looks like…

I’ve seen this film before, forgive me for spoiling the end- you look like.

tanked59 on March 8, 2015 at 10:45 PM

Alright, so you refuse to learn from everyone else making the same argument you just made and having it blow up in their faces? I guess that’s slightly better for you…

Tlaloc on March 9, 2015 at 12:27 AM

Why have you run away from my question, Tlaloc?

A) are you really arguing that I haven’t spent enough time here?
B) you seem to think I care deeply about your wants. this is a mistake, I assure you. Racists, like you, rank very low on my empathy meter.

GrumpyOldFart on March 7, 2015 at 8:57 PM

It’s not even halfway down the page yet.

GrumpyOldFart on March 8, 2015 at 10:47 PM

What is there to educate? You’re making exactly the same boring racist argument that your type always makes; that helping disadvantaged classes is really a secret attack on the privileged class.

I pointed out the exact same thing when I referenced Orenstein’s book- boys usually think gender equality in the classroom is unfair because they’re used to being treated better. Equality to them looks like a loss.

So yeah, I’m really sorry I didn’t see your question before but since it would have taken you all of 15 seconds to google the answer to your deep conundrum I’m not actually sorry at all.

Time for you racists to find new material. Please.

Tlaloc on March 9, 2015 at 12:33 AM

Learn from it, Lumpy.

tanked59 on March 8, 2015 at 10:53 PM

The problem with that is the poll asks people to self identify as conservative, moderate or liberal. What that really tests is how positively people view the words. For the last several decades people have much more strongly self identified as conservative but yet when you poll them on specific issues they are not very conservative at all.

Indeed the voting patterns of the populous clearly also have not been very conservative at all.

See this is an intelligent dissection of a seemingly contradictory poll result (one informed by research on the matter, not coincidentally) as opposed to your “nyuh-uh the internals don’t match what I think they should be” nonsense.

Tlaloc on March 9, 2015 at 12:36 AM

Nothing Governor Sarah Palin hasn’t said, numerous times, and more powerfully, all over the country, INCLUDING Iowa.

I love Ted Cruz and couldn’t be more prouder that he is my Senator, but if we are going to talk energy, Governor Palin, who was Chairman of Alaska’s Oil and Gas Commission [one of the most powerful jobs in Alaska] as well as Chairman of the nation’s Interstate Oil and Gas Compact Commission, and the National Governors Association’s Natural Resources Chairman, is who we should be talking about.

Palin is a recognized expert on energy. Moreover, Palin has the CORRECT positions on energy.

I would support Cruz for President, if Palin doesn’t run. He’s better than the rest of the prospective field, sans Palin.

TopFuel425 on March 9, 2015 at 1:12 AM

I’ve seen this film before, forgive me for spoiling the end- you look like.

tanked59 on March 8, 2015 at 10:45 PM

Tlaloc on March 9, 2015 at 12:27 AM

Good Lord, you truly are delusional.

YouGov Poll sampling for:
1/3/15-1/5/15
(D) 40%
(I) 32%
(R) 28%

And for:

2/21/15-2/23/15
(D) 36%
(I) 32%
(R) 32%

So, highlighting the absurdity of a full 8 point swing from one month to the next in the sampling is simply “you guys” using “unskewing” like it was done in “2012”? You are batsh!t crazy Tlaloc, and that is a fact.

tanked59 on March 9, 2015 at 1:30 AM

elfman on March 8, 2015 at 9:39 PM

Those are some very interesting observations. I find them a whole lot more credible than Tlaloc’s cynicism.

Cleombrotus on March 9, 2015 at 1:31 AM

Tlaloc on March 8, 2015 at 10:19 PM

OK, so what’s his end game?

Cleombrotus on March 9, 2015 at 1:33 AM

Tlaloc on March 9, 2015 at 12:36 AM

Hilarious! Why are “you guys” trying to “unskew” the Gallup polling, Lumpy? That is so “2012” of you!

The internal sampling of the YouGov polls are simple fact Lumpy, something which a simple mind – such as yours – should have no problem in grasping. It is not me who has chosen to change the size of the sample from month to month in order to “skew”(nicely done, ‘eh?) the ‘Unfavorable rating’ for Cruz or any other pol —- nope, it was the good folks at YouGov featured so prominently at the link you provided.

It’s truly sad to watch you shred what little integrity you had Lumpy, but I’m sure the future will afford you the opportunity to find it again….

tanked59 on March 9, 2015 at 1:42 AM

Here’s RedState’s piece on Jindal’s energy plan:

itsnotaboutme on March 8, 2015 at 8:09 PM

Thank you for linking that!!!

lineholder on March 8, 2015 at 8:29 PM

You’re welcome!

Too bad Jazz didn’t see fit to mention Jindal’s position.

itsnotaboutme on March 9, 2015 at 2:39 AM

Comment from CyberAnt at Free Republic:

For Walker to win his elections, he was able to persuade establishment RINOS to vote for him in return for his support for the Chamber of Amnesty-Crony-Welfare-Queens.

Remember, Wisconsin is a purple state, full of conservatives, moderates (lesser-of-two-evils), and liberals.

I voted for Walker a couple of times at the Governor-level, but as his record as a conservative sell-out materialized, I decided he was actually working against my own self-interests when he would not stop pandering to illegal invaders, which hurts my own paycheck, endangers my access to quality healthcare, and risks the safety and security of my family, my friends, and neighbors from the imported gangs from southern and central America into Wisconsin.

When he decided to shill for illegal invaders, I suspect most Wisconsin conservatives have already decided his backstabbing would not make him a Reagan-like President.

Only the purple moderate-establishment voters support his run for President because they believe they will gain financially at the expense of the conservative middle-class.

If you are a conservative voter, are you going to really vote against your own self-interests?

anotherJoe on March 9, 2015 at 4:56 AM

Only the purple moderate-establishment voters support his [Walker] run for President
anotherJoe on March 9, 2015 at 4:56 AM

That’s obviously not true, is it? Well, anyway, warm regards to yours and “Cyber Ant”. See you both at the polls.

Marcus on March 9, 2015 at 5:55 AM

Cruz is a leader. People like Tlaloc have lots of education which is why he’s so confused.

wheelgun on March 9, 2015 at 6:35 AM

Tlaloc on March 9, 2015 at 12:33 AM

So in short, “How does denying someone college admission because they are white represent ‘equal opportunity'” is a question you refuse to answer, beyond “Because I say so.”

Color me unsurprised.

And I’m not even going to bother asking how you come up with the assumption that a white person living in poverty is “privileged” and Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Eric Holder and Barack Obama are “oppressed”.

GrumpyOldFart on March 9, 2015 at 7:40 AM

Okay, wait, I may get it…

Okay, so you’re saying that since blacks used to be denied all kinds of things back before I was born or when I was a small child, that makes it “equality” to deny things to white people now, right?

In other words, it’s okay to be bigoted toward somebody today if somebody who looked vaguely like them was bigoted toward somebody who looked vaguely like somebody you’re fighting for the “equality” of today.

That’s like saying that because my ancestry is largely Celtic, it should be okay for me to murder modern-day Italians to gain “equality” for the Roman invasion of Britain.

But if I made such an assertion you’d think I was insane, wouldn’t you? And you’d be 100% correct.

GrumpyOldFart on March 9, 2015 at 7:50 AM

If a politician doesn’t pander to these people:

The problem with politicians who tell the truth is they have a hard time getting elected. The American people are as much to blame for the problems of the deficit and the national debt as politicians. We are addicted to “free” stuff from government, and we keep electing politicians who promise to get it for us.

myiq2xu on March 8, 2015 at 9:54 AM

Then they don’t really get elected often. So there’s the conundrum.
I live in SW ND & I see a LOT of govt $ going to farmers. Farmers who suck, farmers who are good at what they do etc. Corn is down quite a bit from last year. The cycle has come around so now they will be hurting & more rounds of smaller farmers going out of business.
So the big farmers will now just get bigger.
We do not farm. Only cows. We don’t even farm crops for feed.
We do not participate in any govt programs.
Farm program $ has been responsible for ridiculously high cash rents for pasture land. Around here, no one leases by the amu. Bcs of farm programs.
When you are paying $125/acre to run cows SOMETHING IS WRONG.
South of us right near Lemmon a guy bought like a half section for $1200/acre. It was nothing but mediocre PASTURE.
He’s the guy running $125/acre cash rent & it was cheaper for him to buy at that price I GUESS than keep renting.
IDK I am extremely suspicious of these farmers & ranchers who pay this kind of $ for land. It really makes me wonder if they are getting lots of govt $ from various programs. There are so many programs out there if you make it your business, you can rape & pillage the system & make out like a bandit.
I’ve watched it happen to many neighbors.
And I realize cattle prices are up and many ignorant people think ranchers are rolling in the dough right now but that really isn’t true bcs we now get to just BREATHE after years of negative income.
More & more investors are buying up land around here & renting it out at outlandish prices. And the big farmers are paying it.
I suspect these investors are scared to put their $ somewhere else right now, hence gobbling up land.
In the end, any politician, and citizen, who wants their free shit out of the one side of their mouth, but rails about standing behind conservative principles out of the other side is nothing but a panderer, free loader, and damned liar, IMO.
I watch the effects of these farming programs and it has ruined farming so badly you cannot compete without being involved with them. It’s really impossible unless you have huge pockets.
Bcs it isn’t the profit that is going to sustain you.

Badger40 on March 9, 2015 at 8:45 AM

I doubt Cruz is really capable of changing much of anything in Congree bcs he is basically a lone voice.
I know what it’s like to be that. You can’t accomplish ANYTHING bcs everyone else WON’T LET YOU.
So you keep shouting the truth, waiting, hoping SOMEONE will stand with you. But no one does.
Bcs people are scare & they look out for themselves.
I’m not saying Cruz is a saint. Neither was Palin. But those are 2 people right there who actually did try to change things and only got vilified for it by the very people who should have been standing behind them.

Badger40 on March 9, 2015 at 8:50 AM

Badger40 on March 9, 2015 at 8:45 AM

Will Rogers told us that land is always a good investment because they aren’t making it anymore.

Old Country Boy on March 9, 2015 at 9:09 AM

Poor, poor Tlaloc, lost yet another round. Lolz!

Bmore on March 9, 2015 at 9:32 AM

I have another question for you, Tlaloc:

Since white people owned black slaves in North America for 200 years, does that mean anything short of blacks owning whites for 200 years still qualifies as “white privilege”?

GrumpyOldFart on March 9, 2015 at 10:42 AM

How’s the current government run by anti-theists working out for you?

Cruz is a constitutional conservative. That means limiting the government to the actual powers granted to it by the Constitution. He doesn’t wear clerical robes.

njrob on March 8, 2015 at 10:37 AM

Cruz seems like an honest individual who keeps him promises. I like and trust those kind of folks, as few of them as there are now-a-days.

I had no idea of his faith. And now that I do it does not change my opinion of him one bit.

HonestLib on March 9, 2015 at 10:45 AM

Badger40 on March 9, 2015 at 8:45 AM

I already agree with you (as most here do) on the issue of ‘farm subsidies’, but that information regarding Farm real estate is a new one to me. Makes perfect sense, as most of the people with large amounts ‘material wealth’, know damn well what’s about to happen to the dollar.

listens2glenn on March 9, 2015 at 5:42 PM

Where is the evidence that he is running?

I don’t see it, I do get the 2010-2011 Palin buzz (she’s gonna take it to Obama in 2012) however.

Let’s see if you are serious Ted.

PappyD61 on March 9, 2015 at 6:23 PM

Cruz walks the walk….in front of Iowa farmers.
When republicans meet to formulate a plan to oppose DHS funding….crickets.
Just sayin