House passes clean DHS funding bill — with more than two-thirds of Republicans voting no

posted at 4:41 pm on March 3, 2015 by Allahpundit

The “Hastert Rule” says that a Speaker shouldn’t let any bill reach the floor unless a majority of his own caucus supports it. In the end, when the Great Executive Amnesty Sellout reached its final act, a supermajority of Boehner’s caucus opposed it. He passed the bill anyway — with all members of the minority party voting yes.

John Boehner, Democratic Speaker of the House.

It ended up 257-167. Here’s the roll, but don’t get too caught up in the 75 Republicans who voted yes. If 100 Democrats had switched their votes to no at the last second, I assume Boehner would have had little trouble replacing them with squishier members from his own side. Dozens of GOPers voted no here, no doubt, simply because their votes weren’t needed and a “nay” on authorizing executive amnesty will help them avoid primary challenges next year. There are probably 50-60 House conservatives who opposed the bill on the merits, because they’d rather endure a very limited shutdown of DHS to pressure Obama on immigration than throw in the towel now.

I already said my piece on this earlier so I won’t belabor it but lemme add two points. First, per Leon Wolf, don’t forget that not only does this remove any congressional roadblock to Obama’s amnesty, it also removes the roadblock to O’s plan to let illegals apply for the Earned Income Tax Credit retroactively, a giveaway that could be worth thousands of dollars in taxpayer money for each applicant. Second, if you think that this would have been a slam dunk with a Republican president in office, you’re kidding yourself and setting yourself up for more disappointment in 2017. For one thing, Democrats will almost certainly regain some seats in the Senate in 2016 (whether or not they reclaim a clear majority) so they’ll actually be in a better position to filibuster during the first two years of the next presidency than they are now — unless McConnell makes the filibuster go bye-bye. But even if the GOP had a filibuster-proof majority, it’s goofy to think that a Republican White House would risk alienating Latinos by undoing Obama’s executive order without having some sort of comprehensive immigration deal in Congress ready to go in its place. In that sense, executive amnesty is a lot like ObamaCare — Republicans may talk a good game about nuking each, but when push comes to shove, they’re talking about repeal and replace, not mere repeal. And the GOP’s replacement for executive amnesty will itself certainly allow for some form of legalization. The die is cast. And O knew it when he signed the order, which is why he’s not worried about a successor undoing his immigration legacy with a penstroke.

Comments

Posting this because there’s nothing more to say.

Lourdes on March 3, 2015 at 10:46 PM

I would imagine so.

I loved Brietbart. Met him here in Tucson at the last Tea party event he went to. Shook his hand.

You are aware he’s dead, right?

You aren’t regaining the culture without war. Actual war.

Seems to prioritize things quickly. Has for my family since Samuel Culper Jr.

wolly4321 on March 3, 2015 at 10:32 PM

I’m ignoring this too. But you just keep running your mouth.

Axe on March 3, 2015 at 10:50 PM

294k in WWII. 214k, 1861-1865.

Not that great a difference. Especially with the technological disparity.

wolly4321 on March 3, 2015 at 10:51 PM

Third party? There’s only ONE party now. The Democ-lican party.

eclark1849 on March 3, 2015 at 10:51 PM

We all knew Boehner would cave.
Is it just because he was aware of what was really going on in Benghazi, or is there more dirt on him?

Snowshooze on March 3, 2015 at 10:57 PM

Ohio rent-boy Boehner betrays Americans along with the GOPe? I’m shocked! Shocked I say!

oryguncon on March 3, 2015 at 10:58 PM

’m ignoring this too. But you just keep running your mouth.

Axe on March 3, 2015 at 10:50 PM

That’s certainly your option. Fits well in fact.

I do like you. I just think you are wrong in this case. No hard feelings I hope.

Sometimes you don’t get to run from a fight, like you do now.

Bed soon. I still have a job for now.

wolly4321 on March 3, 2015 at 11:01 PM

King Gold, Good Lt and Dire Straits, where are y’all? Was this the plan?

Dongemaharu on March 3, 2015 at 8:18 PM

avgjo on March 3, 2015 at 11:36 PM

Of course they did, they had no other choice. The far right sabotaged them on the three week bill and forced them into doing this. You can thank the so-called “conservatives” for forcing this.

Senate Democrats blocked it. They made it very clear that none of the Democrats aside from the three that had already flipped on the issue were going to budge.

That means the choices are: 1: Allow the funding to expire. This would be blamed on Republicans — NOT on Democrats and the Democrats would just simply let it sit there forever, if need be, until the Republicans eventually caved because the GOPs choices would be cave or get thrown out of Congress in 2016.

2: Kill the filibuster in the Senate. McConnell likely doesn’t have the votes to do that as there are probably at least 4 Republicans opposed to nuking filibuster just as there were 3 Democrats opposed to a partial nuking. A total nuking of filibuster is not likely very popular among the members so that wasn’t going to happen either.

Just like the far left, the far right believes in some magical unicorn and pixie dust move by McConnell, maybe a hypnotist, hell, I don’t know, would just suddenly make 3 more Democrats flip on the issue.

AND, rather than placing the blame on the Democrats for blocking it, these knuckle-head so-called “conservatives” blame BOEHNER for it.

The far right wing of the freaking Democratic Party.

crosspatch on March 3, 2015 at 11:39 PM

crosspatch and cohort are the true traitors of the land. They enable the D-thugs.

Go win on your own. You all lied in Oct. and never again deserve to be trusted.

You have no principles and you can enjoy the ruin and the losses, onward.

Schadenfreude on March 3, 2015 at 11:53 PM

crosspatch, I met Mr. and Mrs. Friedman.

They’d both kick your azz.

Schadenfreude on March 3, 2015 at 11:57 PM

You get what you vote for, people.

Every time you settle. Every time you consider “electability.” Every time you worry about “executive experience” more than beliefs, toughness and commitment …

you enable the Boehners and McConnells of the world.

K. Hobbit on March 4, 2015 at 12:06 AM

Man, I remember everybody used to ridicule and laugh at me because I would constantly remind this sheepish group that…The GOP will betray you.

For years.

Despite the overwhelming evidence.

But you kept being corralled by Rush, and Sean, and Hot Air, etc.

Being told just one more election, then they’ll really fight for you.

Meanwhile here I was, despite what your “leaders” were saying, telling you that in the end you would be betrayed yet again.

Can you imagine if you had started a legitimate third party movement 20 years ago, back when Rush told you not to, where you would be? You would already have a UKIP to put the establishment in check.

But no, you choose insanity. Do the same thing over and over, and expect different results. There’s only one certainty in political life.

The GOP will betray you

True_King on March 4, 2015 at 12:07 AM

[ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . R E D A C T E D . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ]
( to retain my posting privileges )

listens2glenn on March 4, 2015 at 12:07 AM

My own PA Republican Congressman (Joe Pitts) voted “Yea” on this … : (

listens2glenn on March 4, 2015 at 12:13 AM

I tell you what crosspatch, I don’t care if the Republicans get blamed for everything! Sometimes is preferable to be on the right side for the American people than on the right side of the liberal press and the Democrats!

AnnaS on March 4, 2015 at 12:15 AM

My Congresscritter, Sam Johnson, voted no. I doubt it was because of any conviction. Boehner likely let him vote no to keep us conservative folks in Texas off his back!

AnnaS on March 4, 2015 at 12:17 AM

“The GOPe will betray you.”

H/T: HA’s own Dire Straits.

How right you were, Dire.

thatsafactjack on March 3, 2015 at 5:02 PM

Excuse me? Somebody rips off my trademark line and you give him/her credit?
I’ve been saying that here since 2007.

It was True_King. DS was doing a play on it. Not trying to fight. I like both of your comments. I think it needs the proper attribution.

BoxHead1 on March 3, 2015 at 5:23 PM

True_King on March 4, 2015 at 12:22 AM

What a sad state of affairs indeed…so what is everyone complaining here going to do about this other than “not vote” or “vote 3d party” a few years from now? It may be too late by then the way things are going.

celt on March 4, 2015 at 12:25 AM

crosspatch on March 3, 2015 at 11:39 PM

The correct choice WAS 1.

in fact the really correct choice is for Boehner to close the purse altogether and force Obama to the table for actual negotiations.

Of course all of this could’ve been better handled if your heroboy Boehner hadn’t given away all the leverage the congress had by giving Obama everything he wanted in a budget while proclaiming that holding off funding on Homeland security would get Obama to capitulate.

You’re obviously a paid shill or a total moron.

Actually it’s both.

Skywise on March 4, 2015 at 12:47 AM

I have been out of commission for the last month or so, not by choice. And now I get to return to this. I am beyond disgusted.

We will never give up. This outrageous, mass illegal alien amnesty must not stand.

bluegill on March 4, 2015 at 12:52 AM

V7, cheers my friend!

Schadenfreude on March 3, 2015 at 5:41 PM

You are the best, Schadenfreude.

I’m still here, I just can’t repeat that the worst isn’t slightly better than the less worst because they both seem to be effectively the same thing and the effort to salvage the GOP or the country isn’t going to be made.

It bothers me most that we seem to be willing to go quietly.

V7_Sport on March 4, 2015 at 12:52 AM

True_King on March 4, 2015 at 12:07 AM

Not me. I always agreed with you.
Apologies if I wasn’t loud enough in my agreements though.

LegendHasIt on March 4, 2015 at 12:53 AM

celt on March 4, 2015 at 12:25 AM

Civil disobedience for starters. If the government of the United States refuses to abide by the its own laws there is no purpose in me doing so either. I’m just expanding my powers.

Push for more open elections and start electing conservative democrats to bring the “moderates” back to the center right of the spectrum.

Skywise on March 4, 2015 at 1:01 AM

The supposed “Republicans” just voted with the Democrats to affirm Congress’s support for Obama’s amnesty and just strengthened Obama’s court case for him.

They would have caved two and a half weeks from now. Stop your stupid pretending that they wouldn’t.

The disunity is always on the GOP side huh? Maybe if the GOP would actually be in lockstep with their base there would not be a problem. But the leadership and too many in the GOP are too happy to cater to the fringe Chamber of Commerce and consulting class special interests.

And on to the false dichotomy:

WOE IS ME, the media is going to blame the Republicans!!! Newsflash idiot – THE GOP IS ALWAYS TO BLAME ACCORDING TO THE DEMOCRATS AND THE MEDIA. Stop pushing DNC talking points.

2: Kill the filibuster in the Senate. McConnell likely doesn’t have the votes

BS. He didn’t even try to whip the votes. He didn’t even mention reconciliation, conference bills, or anything else for that matter. But I forgot we only get two false choices in RINO/DNC Land.

Are you going to whine to the “moderates” at the Daily Kos after this about those knuckle dragging comrades you have in the GOP. Why don’t you just leave the party and take your surrender monkey traitors you call friends with you.

How about because BOEHNER is the one who brought the bill to the floor and it was BOEHNER who orchestrated the coordination of votes between the Democrats and his super best friends in the GOP? It was BOEHNER who had a SUPERMAJORITY OF HIS OWN DAMN CAUCUS IN THE HOUSE VOTING AGAINST HIM. How about you shut the hell up about the Democrats and look to your own first. Conservatives are damn right to draw their ire on these quislings in the GOP. Because they GODDAMN DESERVE IT.

If we need to check with DEMOCRAT MINORITY LEADERS Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi on what bills to bring up before a REPUBLICAN Congress, maybe we should just HAND THE DAMN GAVELS BACK TO THEM.

This is seriously getting really freaking stupid to have this argument OVER AND OVER AGAIN with you people. How many times do you need to be beaten with the common sense and truth bat until the stupid leaves?
It really is getting freaking pathetic.

crosspatch on March 3, 2015 at 11:39 PM

NWConservative on March 4, 2015 at 1:16 AM

And on to the false dichotomy:

2: Kill the filibuster in the Senate. McConnell likely doesn’t have the votes

It really is getting freaking pathetic.

crosspatch on March 3, 2015 at 11:39 PM

NWConservative on March 4, 2015 at 1:17 AM

Hah. Double post for emphasis…

NWConservative on March 4, 2015 at 1:21 AM

It bothers me most that we seem to be willing to go quietly.

V7_Sport on March 4, 2015 at 12:52 AM

Was I NOT right last November when I said this EXACT THING was going to happen to you?! Do you see why I thought that McConnell should NOT have been given this power. He has squandered every single gain he has received from 2014.

And we get amnesty to boot.

I’m just glad that you seem to be seeing it from a different perspective.

An Article V Convention doesn’t seem too bad now huh? Time to push for that since the federal congress won’t be doing a damn thing as predicted.

NWConservative on March 4, 2015 at 1:23 AM

I saw some bogus story regarding Boehner saying ‘the republicans all need to stay together’.

What I cannot understand is what the next Boehner/McConnell plan is? Clearly, all of their chatter regarding ‘normal order’ and passing each appropriation bill is completely out the window.

The democrats are simply going to demand ‘clean’ continueing resolutions from now until they regain control of all branches of the government.

The next actual vote will be in September. Boehner and McConnell will simply offer to fully fund through another continuing resolution through Sept 2016. The same reason as today will be their reasoning.

After that, next actual vote will be in September 2016. Boehner and McConnell will simply offer to fully fund through another continueing resolution through Sept 2017. The same reason as today will be their reasoning.

After that, next actual vote will be in September 2017. Boehner and McConnell will simply offer to fully fund through another continueing resolution through Sept 2017. At this popint, they will be claiming they need to fund beyond the Presidential election.

As FOOLISH as all of this sounds, this is EXACTLY what Boehner/McConnell have done for the last 5 YEARS! There is no reason to expect anything different from this duo of ‘leaders’.

Freddy on March 4, 2015 at 1:32 AM

Vote Republican or Democrat… Either one.. It doesn’t matter

Brock Robamney on March 4, 2015 at 1:39 AM

….After that, next actual vote will be in September 2016. Boehner and McConnell will simply offer to fully fund through another continueing resolution through Sept 2017. The same reason as today will be their reasoning…..
Freddy on March 4, 2015 at 1:32 AM

I have a feeling that you are pretty optimistic with that analysis.

By then, 0bama will just take what he wants and have Treasury cut them a check, since Congress has repeatedly sent him the message many times in the last month or so that they will not actually act to prevent him from doing anything he wants.

LegendHasIt on March 4, 2015 at 1:42 AM

Vote Republican or Democrat… Either one. It doesn’t matter

Brock Robamney on March 4, 2015 at 1:42 AM

The enemy of my enemy is still my enemy.

Both parties detest the American people and would much rather have a socialist government like those in South America that remain in the ruling class. Now they will get it.

Only a matter of time till the end…

njrob on March 4, 2015 at 1:56 AM

bluegill on March 4, 2015 at 12:52 AM

…it’s ok!…it’s not like you’ve missed a beat…or anything.

JugEarsButtHurt on March 4, 2015 at 2:04 AM

bluegill on March 4, 2015 at 12:52 AM

…but seriously…….are you ok?

JugEarsButtHurt on March 4, 2015 at 2:07 AM

NWConservative on March 4, 2015 at 1:23 AM

You were saying that the democrats didn’t want Amnesty and that it wouldn’t happen if we kept Harry Reid in the Senate. This was an executive amnesty, done by the Obama administration. The crime by Boehner and McConnell is that they just rolled over. But, whatever…
We should have been demanding that they defund this at the top of our lungs. All that we are left with is the courts now, and seeing as the Obama administration has packed the courts we are screwed there as well.

Honestly? The time for pushing has all but passed. It’s been time to push the congress all along. If we don’t do that what is pushing for a convention going to do? Open up the process for the other side to push for what they want while we take pot shots at each other?

V7_Sport on March 4, 2015 at 2:11 AM

BoxHead1 on March 3, 2015 at 5:23 PM

That “play” on it was a total mockery of people saying “The GOPe will betray you” by the way. It was intended to put down the more conservative posters here who were cynical about Republicans and their leadership. It was intended to tease people who supported efforts to change leadership or risk a shutdown.

Dongemaharu on March 4, 2015 at 2:16 AM

bluegill on March 4, 2015 at 12:52 AM

Get well. We need all the fighters we can get. This is only going to get worse now that the Republican party is showing their true face to the world as nothing more than HYDRA within SHIELD.

Must kill the poison within.

njrob on March 4, 2015 at 2:17 AM

You are the best, Schadenfreude.

It bothers me most that we seem to be willing to go quietly.

V7_Sport on March 4, 2015 at 12:52 AM

You’re still talking in circles and blaming the rank and file. I guess “we” didn’t do enough to somehow make the GOP vote in the manner we clearly expressed in the 2014 election?

Damn, the Conservative base failed the GOP again. We don’t deserve them.

hawkdriver on March 4, 2015 at 2:58 AM

They are bought and paid for by the same folks that bought and paid for barack obama.

Lonetown on March 4, 2015 at 3:29 AM

I think we need to start voting by different means.

Stepan on March 4, 2015 at 6:33 AM

Damn, the Conservative base failed the GOP again. We don’t deserve them.

hawkdriver on March 4, 2015 at 2:58 AM

Save your breath. There is nothing the GOP could ever do – they could full-on call for complete Marxism – and certain “conservatives” would continue to tell us we must vote for the GOP or the dems will win.

They are not conservative, nor do they care about the country. They are mere tribal loyalists who somehow get satisfaction out of their “team” winning elections, regardless of what said “team” does in office.

To such people, the only thing that matters is the letter after a candidates name – not what the candidate says or does. And they worship at the alter of the party. It is just like leftists – worshipping the state. But rather than worshipping the state, they worship a political party.

That they claim any allegiance to conservatism is what is most amusing.

Monkeytoe on March 4, 2015 at 7:38 AM

What fathom constituency do these two represent?

rplat on March 4, 2015 at 7:45 AM

This is the kind of shallow thinking that dominates the Republican Party and you are no different.

You raise the specter of absolutes and known facts that are nothing of the sort. Then the error is compounded by wrapping speculation dressed up as certainty with false conclusions.

That Executive Amnesty is popular with the entire Mexican, Central and South American population is a misnomer. It’s not proven in any demonstrable way. In fact, if you ask legal immigrants about this issue, people who have experienced the pain, they are largely opposed to it. It’s actually insulting to believe that. To believe that people will whole cloth vote against American laws and values because of their race.

Just because the loudest voices are shouting and the Democrat Party acolytes are lawlessly occupying every venue, it would be a mistake to believe this unconstitutional action has their entire support. It mostly has the support of people who would benefit from it. People who put their own needs above those of our country, laws and Constitution.

Those are not exactly people we want as citizens. In fact, it is the antithesis of American value.

Finally, that a Republican president with courage would not undo this act is empty, baseless, unfounded speculation. It’s greatly flawed opinion dressed up as certainty- and it’s nothing of the sort. And I am growing tired of the short-term, whimsical opinions meant to stoke the masses and get a few extra web hits.

Marcus Traianus on March 4, 2015 at 7:51 AM

When I look up the word “capitulate” in the dictionary, there’s a picture of Boehner next to it.

sadatoni on March 4, 2015 at 8:05 AM

The GOP will betray you

True_King on March 4, 2015 at 12:07 AM

True_King FTW!

I have never doubted you in the four years I’ve been reading here …

ShainS on March 4, 2015 at 8:10 AM

Marcus Traianus on March 4, 2015 at 7:51 AM

There’s much sense here.

I often wonder, how stupid does a person have to be to vote in favor of the same kinds of social justice policy making that they just came to America to escape from?

Star Bird on March 4, 2015 at 8:11 AM

I was saying it wouldn’t make a damn bit of difference. Harry Reid didn’t have to do a thing did he? He sat back and did his “filibuster” and McConnell/Boehner fell all over themselves to do EVERYTHING he wanted. Why push for amnesty when your opponents will give it to you and destroy themselves in the process? They just did it.

One post from Oct, just a few days before the election:

They won’t be able to do anything about an executive amnesty. The leadership already wants some form of amnesty already anyways, so the actual impetuous to fight Obama illegally giving amnesty out is not there. Just look at how hard they are fighting the illegal dream act executive order, they haven’t included it in their GOP lawsuit.

I hate these stupid pols who are proposing things they don’t actually intend on pursuing. They allow themselves to be set up for failure. They took impeachment and a shutdown off the table, and Obama will and has ignored the courts, so what are these clowns going to do? Because right now these guys are more impotent with Obama than Obama is with Putin.

NWConservative on October 30, 2014 at 9:06 PM

V7_Sport on March 4, 2015 at 2:11 AM

I have been pushing for an Article V convention, I have called my state reps on it several times. Hoping that they won’t screw us over again and again on a national level is pissing in the wind.

NWConservative on March 4, 2015 at 8:48 AM

My guy from NY voted No.

McConnell needs to have dog crap thrown at him anytime he is in public. He’s the guy who made all of this possible. Now they can get to work on caving on Obama’s ammunition executive order and plan to cave on his raising taxes executive order.

Karma eventually gave Reid a black eye. I’m hoping karma will take care of McConnell too.

magicbeans on March 4, 2015 at 9:35 AM

It’s almost like they’re all in on a big scam to do the fundamental change turkey trot together.

Kissmygrits on March 4, 2015 at 9:37 AM

Our new nemesis is Idaho Congressman Mike Simpson, doing his best RINO schtick of bashing the base and “being the adult in the room”. It seems Congressman Simpson has made it his agenda to back Nancy Pelosi AND to make sure Idaho White Potatoes are included in the school lunch program.

As a new “adult” republican, I have an epiphany. Idaho White Potatoes are making our kids fat. Really fat. And I think the most important thing, besides vaccines, is banning the Idaho White Potato.

For the kids.

Let’s start with a WhiteHouse petition. For the kids.

Let’s then begin a letter writing campaign to the USDA. For the kids.

As the new republican adults, we have to tell our congressional representative to put the kids about party and vote to ban the Idaho Potato.

Then maybe the voters of Idaho will realize how divisive their RINO congressman is.

TAARP on March 4, 2015 at 9:47 AM

Elections have consequences. Unless you vote for a Republican.

microfiction on March 4, 2015 at 10:46 AM

bluegill on March 4, 2015 at 12:52 AM

It’s great to have you back!

Thresher on March 4, 2015 at 10:49 AM

Marcus Traianus on March 4, 2015 at 7:51 AM

Where is the evidence a republican president would undo it?

Certainly, the evidence supports the idea that a republican president would not more than your contention he would.

I guess this falls into the “trust us, the GOP will totally do something conservative if we win the WH”. After all, that was the hype last election – “trust us, the GOP will totally do something conservative if we get a Senate majority” and the time before that was “trust us, the GOP will totally do something conservative if we win a house majority”.

I guess the GOP will do something conservative someday if we just keep voting GOP.

Monkeytoe on March 4, 2015 at 10:53 AM

True_King was right all along. The GOP has betrayed us. And politicians ain’t gonna fix what politicians broke.

gryphon202 on March 4, 2015 at 11:05 AM

Where is the evidence a republican president would undo it?

Monkeytoe on March 4, 2015 at 10:53 AM

How about that last GOP president we had, eh? George W. Bush, I think was his name? He did such a fine job of shrinking government, didn’t he?/

That is, I suppose, if you don’t count the TSA established on his watch. or the PATRIOT act. Or the Medicare Part D expansion (the largest encroachment on health care by government since 1965)…

gryphon202 on March 4, 2015 at 11:07 AM

Soros’ text to O:

‘Its working. You’ve done well.’

BobMbx on March 4, 2015 at 11:09 AM

V7_Sport on March 4, 2015 at 2:11 AM

Chill out, dude. Anyone can impose anything in an Article V convention, yes, but it still must be ratified.

gryphon202 on March 4, 2015 at 11:10 AM

gryphon202 on March 4, 2015 at 11:07 AM

And of all the potential candidates out there – which ones are actually against amnesty? Almost none. So, I doubt very much that a GOP president will reverse this amnesty.

What program or entitlement has ever been taken away once given?

Who are these people who believe that “next time” the GOP is going to actually do something?

Monkeytoe on March 4, 2015 at 11:20 AM

It was obvious politics, not rocket surgery. Many of us called this when the GOPe gave the Dems what they wanted in December. The threat to defund DHS over Obama’s amnesty was always a hollow threat made just to placate conservatives.

BTW, refusing to vote would be complete, abject surrender. If you won’t vote third party, the establishment has no reason at all to fear you.

fadetogray on March 4, 2015 at 11:30 AM

fadetogray on March 4, 2015 at 11:30 AM

Yes. Voting for the GOP seems to be doing the trick and making the GOP act conservatively. They obviously fear conservatives.

Not sure how “keep doing the same thing even though the GOP always betrays you” is somehow considered a viable solution.

Monkeytoe on March 4, 2015 at 11:36 AM

Go to Hades, all you traitors of the land.

Schadenfreude on March 4, 2015 at 11:42 AM

Monkeytoe on March 4, 2015 at 11:36 AM

I’m not sure if you understood what I was saying. I was not calling for voting GOP. I was saying all of the people here saying they are going to stop voting altogether are, in fact, surrendering to the establishment.

If you cannot stand voting for the candidate the GOP gives you, then vote third party. You don’t have to like the third party, especially if you think it has no chance of actually winning. The purpose is to keep the establishment on notice that you have not surrendered.

Not voting is total capitulation to the elites. They love it. They take it as meaning you are so happy with the way you are being governed that you don’t feel compelled to be bothered to participate at all. It makes it even easier for them to buy the votes they need, since there are fewer of them.

fadetogray on March 4, 2015 at 11:54 AM

Why don’t the 2/3rd that voted no try to throw Boehner out?

DebinRTP on March 4, 2015 at 1:16 PM

If those GOP reps who voted ‘no’ also voted ‘yes’ for JB as speaker, I’d still work to primary them out of office in 2016.

As I see this, the bottom line is: You voted for surrendering before you voted against it.

s1im on March 4, 2015 at 1:37 PM

How many of the 167 who voted against their leadership will vote against their leader? Maybe 20-the rest are either gutless or liars.

redware on March 4, 2015 at 1:39 PM

The GOPe better start doing some serious damage control, or they’re going to quickly lose everything they gained back in November.

blink on March 4, 2015 at 1:25 PM

They’ve already lost it. They’re done. Anybody who doesn’t favor the GOP being closet Democrats has no reason to listen to them anymore, no reason to vote for them anymore, no reason to consider anything they say as other than a lie.

The GOP has gone the way of the Whigs. This is the last time the Republican party will have a majority in any legislature above the state level.

It’s dead already, it just hasn’t stopped twitching and making noises yet.

GrumpyOldFart on March 4, 2015 at 6:12 PM

hawkdriver on March 4, 2015 at 2:58 AM

Weren’t you busy working toward a government that is going to bring us back to a time that only existed on a back lot in BurbanK? Because that’s somehow one of the enumerated powers of the Constitution?

Damn, the Conservative base failed the GOP again. We don’t deserve them.

So are these the results that we deserve?

Monkeytoe on March 4, 2015 at 7:38 AM

Said the apologist for the “let it burn” crowd. What are you whining about? It’s burning.

V7_Sport on March 4, 2015 at 8:24 PM

NWConservative on March 4, 2015 at 8:48 AM

Have at it. I can’t help but think the problems that we are facing are more fundamental as the government isn’t following the Constitution as it is. Altering a document that they don’t even pay lip service to isn’t going to force the to adhere to their principles. They will continue to ignore it.

We have politicians who have a lousy character. (redundant, I know) I can’t go back in time and raise them right. Short of getting someone elected who doesn’t have a lousy character and who won’t be polluted by Washington we need to find a way to force them to do the right thing. At this point I honestly don’t know what it’s going to take to get people angry enough to get in their faces.

For what little it’s worth I have sent McConnell and Boehner correspondence that would scorch your corneas. I can’t help but think that if they were getting a lot more of that they would do their damn jobs.

gryphon202 on March 4, 2015 at 11:10 AM

I’m Chill, yo.

V7_Sport on March 4, 2015 at 8:53 PM

blink on March 4, 2015 at 1:25 PM

I previously respected V7_Sport’s strategy of voting in as many Republicans as possible (without regard for their conservatism) and then push them to vote conservatively.

It’s always been to elect the most conservative, viable candidate and then work to hold them accountable.

But the fact remains that this strategy has failed.

When have we worked to hold them accountable?

Whining about a lack of effort won’t help the strategy.

What will?

Nobody can deny the fact that this is giving credibility to the let-it-burn and third party crowd.

“Letting it burn” is inherently treasonous. You don’t give an arsonist a gas can and the keys to your house, it’s just stupid. If you can find a viable third party candidate that wont just split the conservative vote and help elect democrats then please let me know. Until then, we are apparently screwed.

It was a land speed record for failure, completely inexcusable. Not sure they can ever fix what they broke. Anyway, at least I can go back to blowing my money on old motorcycles my wifes shoe closet

V7_Sport on March 4, 2015 at 9:05 PM

Until our elected Congress Critters develop both honor and a spine and fire each and every critter in ‘leadership’ things will only get worse. It is impossible to lead or govern without a spine.

JIMV on March 4, 2015 at 9:45 PM