Law & Order: SVU episode on GamerGate is every bit as bad as you’d expect

posted at 2:01 pm on February 12, 2015 by Ed Morrissey

Bear in mind that the starting level of any Law & Order: SVU is somewhere around dreck and self-satire anyway. I watched three weeks of episodes in Rome last October because I could only get one channel of television in English, and it tended to run the worst of American crime-drama shows — which means that LOSVU was in heavy rotation. Therefore, I wasn’t expecting much from the show, and it didn’t disappoint.

By the time the viewer gets to the 10-minute mark in this episode, LOSVU has reduced the issues of GamerGate and undisclosed relationships between game creators and journalists covering the field to “just because Reina doesn’t have money, it means she doesn’t have talent.” There isn’t any mention of the conflict between social-change activists and gamers, nor of the lack of disclosure in gaming journalism that aligned with them. Instead, the male gamers are all dismissed as mindless and bloodthirsty chauvinists, or “slope-headed son[s]-of-a-bitch,” as the victim puts it.

On the other hand, at least Hollywood has discovered “SWATting,” even if they managed to pick the wrong kind of gaming victim:

Patrick Bissett predicted as much, based on LOSVU‘s track record:

The manner in which the writers of “Law & Order” have historically incorporated social commentary into their shows is beyond appalling. They consistently misrepresent complex social issues and pander to political and intellectual lowest common denominators. There is nothing wrong with a TV drama highlighting and making accessible important social issues. It is, however, patently clear that the makers of “Law & Order” have no interest in balanced, fair commentary and are instead focused on ensuring that their treatment of moral, legal, political, and ethical issues move in lockstep with prevailing ideas.

Ten years ago, an SVU episode entitled “Game” was aired in which kids who played violent video games were replicating virtual violence in real life. In the episode, detectives are puzzled by a strange homicide in which a sex worker is run over by a car and then beaten to death by the driver. (No points for guessing which video game was the subject of this particular program.)

The message was clear: violence in video games causes real-life violence. It was a thesis extremely prevalent among many politicians and activists at the time, most notably Jack Thompson, but it is one that now, a decade later, is viewed with widespread disdain. Numerous studies as well as a downward trend in violent crime and a corresponding uptick in game sales have shown that the idea is pure nonsense.

If NBC’s teaser is anything to go by, then the events as depicted in “Intimidation Game,” just like those depicted in “Game,” will also be completely at odds with reality.

Forbes’ Erik Kain, who has covered GamerGate with remarkable balance, is flat-out appalled:

That’s in response to the hostage video that male gamers force the main victim to make and their somewhat familiar group flag. It’s not an accident that they’re connecting GamerGate with terrorism.

Lazy Gamer’s Zoe Hawkins says it made her blood boil:

I’ve been preparing you all for the GamerGate Law and Order episode. I still held out hope that they might make it somewhat balanced or interesting for gamers. I was obviously far too naive – they butchered gamers, gaming, and made the whole thing into a cartoon caricature of good vs evil. Yeah, it was way worse than I imagined. …

I suppose it’s the nature of the show. It’s not meant to show any kind of high level debate or discussion. It’s just about pairing some cheesy plot with even cheesier writing. I just wish they could steer clear of sensitive topics if they’re going to handle them like a bull in a china shop – it doesn’t help anyone, and it isn’t even entertaining to watch. Shame on you Law & Order: SVU, and shame on you Ice-T for being involved in projects that make your fellow gamers look like a bad 90s stereotype.

“DOES HE PLAY VIDEO GAMES? WHERE DOES HE PLAY?” Even apart from the hackish treatment of GamerGate, the writing on this show is amazingly bad, and not just on this episode. They managed to exceed their usual level of stupidity, right down to the first-person shooter perspective at the climax of the confrontation.

Be sure to stick around to the end, though, to reach the final level of the LOSVU dungeon to hear Ice T say, “See, I know the difference between video games and reality.” That might be the least self-aware statement on television this year from Hollywood.

Update: Erik Kain goes into extensive detail on just how many people LOSVU insulted with this episode:

I’ve never felt so insulted after watching TV before, and not just me: the show manages to insult everybody, from the gamers it takes on to the police to women in video games and, perhaps worst of all, victims of actual sexual assault. …

One thing leads to another and pretty soon SVU has uncovered a Serious Terrorist Organization of some sorts, made up of gamers who can’t tell the difference between games and reality and want both women and social justice out of gaming. Yes, we hear this sort of thing on Twitter. Social Justice Warriors are the enemies of many in the so-called #GamerGate movement. This has yet to reach ISIS levels of terrorism outside of the inflammatory tweets of some industry insiders.

So these gamers kidnap a high profile female game developer, Raina Punjabi, during her game launch (for  her fictional Amazonian Warriors RPG, which is a non-violent game because of course women who play games don’t like violence!)

The Gamers are super high-tech. They use the “Darknet” to make sure everything they do is totally untraceable. Scary! And they post their awful videos to Redchanit which, I mean, come on people is this for real?

(Alas, redchanit.com and redchanit.org are already registered. Update: By NBC last October….)

Alas, DARKNET domains are also already taken — but not by NBC. Anyway, be sure to read the whole thing.

Comments

One time, on de_dust, a bad man put his bathing suit area on my corpse.

(I never recovered from that.)

Jedditelol on February 12, 2015 at 2:08 PM

I never watch that junk. This blog makes me happy that I don’t.

Deano1952 on February 12, 2015 at 2:18 PM

Burying the lede: You’re wasting your time watching TV while you’re in Rome.

Eddie Baby on February 12, 2015 at 2:18 PM

I always thought L&O:SVU meant Stupid Voters Unit.

GWB on February 12, 2015 at 2:26 PM

Burying the lede: You’re wasting your time watching TV while you’re in Rome.

Eddie Baby on February 12, 2015 at 2:18 PM

FIFY

GWB on February 12, 2015 at 2:27 PM

social-change activists

…that ok Ed, I’ll be happy to call them Left-tards…they prove it each and every day…

Pelosi Schmelosi on February 12, 2015 at 2:30 PM

“See, I know the difference between video games and reality.”
–Ice T

“We can’t be sure that the tea party didn’t start WW1”
–MSNBC anchors

“I saw the first 2/3 of the MC Hammer: Behind the music, and if there is one thing I learned its that money never runs out!”
–Every politician ever

Gatsu on February 12, 2015 at 2:31 PM

The message was clear: violence in video games causes real-life violence.

Speaking of violence…get a look at this sociopath…

Why is the president glorifying gun violence? Extremely disappointing.

Pelosi Schmelosi on February 12, 2015 at 2:34 PM

This isn’t the worst show on television. But it’s definitely the most dangerous. By far.

D0WNT0WN on February 12, 2015 at 2:35 PM

WOW This is what HotAir spend time on.

KBird on February 12, 2015 at 2:35 PM

Brian Williams weeps.

Schadenfreude on February 12, 2015 at 2:37 PM

I used to love Law and Order, way back when Michael Moriarty was the ADA, but after he left the show began its slow fall into absolute dreck. Although Law & Order: Criminal Intent was OK. They toned down the leftist idiocy a little bit in that spin-off.

NotCoach on February 12, 2015 at 2:37 PM

GamerGate

Nobody cares.

nobar on February 12, 2015 at 2:37 PM

WOW This is what HotAir spend time on.

KBird on February 12, 2015 at 2:35 PM

I think those who write for Hot Air can choose to write about anything they want. You, as a consumer, can choose not to consume it.

NotCoach on February 12, 2015 at 2:38 PM

First off, if those were my options I would watch an Italian language station and pray for quick immersion.

Secondly, you were in Rome. Rome!!!! One of the greatest (if also dirtiest) cities on the planet. Why the hell were you watching TV at all?

Happy Nomad on February 12, 2015 at 2:38 PM

If believe that video games don’t cause violence then you should shows like this also don’t have an impact either

SDRightWinger on February 12, 2015 at 2:39 PM

The message was clear: violence in video games causes real-life violence

leads to

The message was clear: lying by government officials causes everyone else to lie, too

BobMbx on February 12, 2015 at 2:41 PM

OT – the other fool on TV

Schadenfreude on February 12, 2015 at 2:42 PM

SVU was decent in the early seasons until they made Benson turn into a white knight for whatever dumb cause the show’s writers and Dick Wolf wanted to promote (the military is evil, conservatives are evil, corporations are especially evil, white men are evil and all rapists or potential rapists).

Original L&O fell into this nonsense as well about 3 seasons after Sam Waterston came in as Jack McCoy. Corporations are evil, guns and gunmakers and gun owners are evil, people who believe in the Constitution are evil and stockpiling guns to commit mass murder, etc.

deepelemblues on February 12, 2015 at 2:44 PM

Happy Nomad on February 12, 2015 at 2:38 PM

I was doing a lot of work during the day, and at night there’s not a lot to do except eat and drink. I don’t drink much, so … It was mostly later at night when I’d watch TV.

Ed Morrissey on February 12, 2015 at 2:45 PM

Point of view: all I got was that some guys acted like those nutty Islamists and wanted an excuse to beat up and rape a woman for being educated and smart.
disclaimer- the last game I played was Pac-Man.

srdem65 on February 12, 2015 at 2:46 PM

I would humbly submit that if you committed a crime because of what you saw in a video game you probably weren’t that mentally stable to begin with.

bandutski on February 12, 2015 at 2:49 PM

WOW This is what HotAir spend time on.

KBird on February 12, 2015 at 2:35 PM

Like it or not, GamerGate is pretty much the front line of the culture war right now. It’s the first time I’ve seen a serious revolt against the cultural Marxist left just about anywhere. Can you imagine how helpful it would be to us if the left had not taken over Hollywood? That’s basically what GamerGate is saving us from right now, as video games are likely to eventually surpass Hollywood.

It’s a crying shame the right mostly is ignoring this issue instead of taking notes.

Doomberg on February 12, 2015 at 2:52 PM

Doomberg on February 12, 2015 at 2:52 PM

This.

Gatsu on February 12, 2015 at 2:54 PM

I totally imitate games in real life. I mean, can’t you call down a meteor strike any time that you like?
*Sent from my Magic Brain Chat Box while riding on my T-Rex*

RblDiver on February 12, 2015 at 3:06 PM

I saw exactly 2 minutes of an SVU episode years ago and it was 120 seconds too much. Brain dead doesn’t begin to describe this show. It is fascist propaganda of the dumbest kind.

Nomennovum on February 12, 2015 at 3:09 PM

“… made the whole thing into a cartoon caricature of good vs evil.” Let’s be honest. This is what the left does with every complex issue. You either agree with them or you’re wrong. They’ve used ridicule to erase any grey areas.

John Deaux on February 12, 2015 at 3:12 PM

GamerGate

Nobody cares.

nobar on February 12, 2015 at 2:37 PM

That statement isn’t even close to true. First of all, this dumb show itself just disproved your assertion.

Maybe you should define “nobaody.”

Nomennovum on February 12, 2015 at 3:13 PM

RblDiver on February 12, 2015 at 3:06 PM

You can, but you have to both be in limit break AND have enough mana.

Also maybe a phoenix down or two, JUST in case.

Gatsu on February 12, 2015 at 3:13 PM

The first few seasons were well done (strangely, when Hargitay had really short hair). Then, the criminal was often evil, sick, or degenerate, but the show shifted to the classic McDonalds made me fat mentality, and the perpetrators of the crime in the beginning no longer became the focus of episodes. Instead, the blame always seemed to fail on indirect actors, such as pharmaceutical companies, the military, and of course video games, and naturally became so horrible that I stopped watching years ago; saw a few minutes a season ago and the addition of a new high-tech police station set added to the ridiculousness of the show.

voss63 on February 12, 2015 at 3:33 PM

disclaimer- the last game I played was Pac-Man.

srdem65 on February 12, 2015 at 2:46 PM

You probably just gave HA it’s next blogpost topic:
Pacman: End Of The World As We Know It Or Just Another Kids Game?

whatcat on February 12, 2015 at 3:34 PM

Ok, I admit it. I’m out of the mainstream here but what is GamerGate? Not interested enough to look it up myself. Also don’t watch LOSVU, totally useless show. Watched a few episodes early on, determined that it was just being aired to reinforce the brainwashing of left wing libtards, stopped watching it.

Oldnuke on February 12, 2015 at 3:38 PM

disclaimer- the last game I played was Pac-Man.

srdem65 on February 12, 2015 at 2:46 PM

You probably just gave HA it’s next blogpost topic:
“Pacman: End Of The World As We Know It Or Just Another Kids Game?“

whatcat on February 12, 2015 at 3:34 PM

I never liked Pac-Man. I played something called (I think) Space Aliens. The only computer game I play now is Civilization V, and that’s only because I get to conquer Saudi Arabia and rename Mecca “Pig Pen”.

Oldnuke on February 12, 2015 at 3:40 PM

SVU episodes have all been a leftist extremist’s dream on television. My wife and daughter were hooked on those shows, and it took them some time to understand why I had little interest in the series. I had gotten pretty fed-up with the constant preaching and portrayal of anyone with a conservative attitude being some kind of monster. This was a show supposed to be about police taking extra precautions on behalf of victims and utilizing discretion to ease the trauma on those victims – instead, it was a very bad soap opera (hence, why my wife and daughter watched it consistently) with heavy leftist ideology dripping from the screen. Worse, it portrayed females (outside of the core actresses) as poor, helpless, and unable to defend themselves (war on wimmens anyone?).

The show was, and still is, complete and utter crap.

Turtle317 on February 12, 2015 at 3:42 PM

disclaimer- the last game I played was Pac-Man.

srdem65 on February 12, 2015 at 2:46 PM

Ah, the game that forces a woman to pop pills to chase away ghosts of boyfriends past all while gorging on food?

on a scale of one to ten I rate the game misogynistic and sexist.
-Joystic reviewer/SJW

Gatsu on February 12, 2015 at 3:50 PM

Oldnuke on February 12, 2015 at 3:40 PM

I’d get bored pretty quickly playing videogames. Though I did like Pong. It was something new and cool that you could hook up to the TV when nobody wanted to watch anything. I’d rather kids get into something creative or read. I used to draw a lot as a young lad and there were always lots of books (and comix) around the house. Such fun, great memories.

whatcat on February 12, 2015 at 3:53 PM

whatcat on February 12, 2015 at 3:53 PM

I never went wrong with Legos.

Turtle317 on February 12, 2015 at 3:57 PM

I never went wrong with Legos.

Turtle317 on February 12, 2015 at 3:57 PM

If Lego were around it wasn’t a big thing during my childhood. Now, TinkerToys, there ya go. Great good fun.

As for SVU, as a commenter said, the first few seasons were good. After that there were a few good episodes here and there – other than those, it’s unwatchable.

whatcat on February 12, 2015 at 4:05 PM

The year is young.

oryguncon on February 12, 2015 at 4:16 PM

I’m out of the mainstream here but what is GamerGate?

Oldnuke on February 12, 2015 at 3:38 PM

Very short version – gaming media (gaming news websites, etc) made a coordinated attempt to be more like traditional media, i.e. biased cesspool of lies and lecturing from a self-perceived moral high ground. They got plenty of pushback from gamers of all stripes, some of it sexist. The gaming media then ignored the valid criticisms and deliberately mischaracterised the whole thing based on the behavior of the worst individuals involved.

Ramadahl on February 12, 2015 at 4:18 PM

I’m out of the mainstream here but what is GamerGate?

Oldnuke on February 12, 2015 at 3:38 PM

Ramadahl on February 12, 2015 at 4:18 PM

Shorter version, Old Nuke: boys v. girls dweebfight.

whatcat on February 12, 2015 at 4:25 PM

Shorter version, Old Nuke: boys v. girls dweebfight.

whatcat on February 12, 2015 at 4:25 PM

With the caveat that there are plenty of both sexes on each side of the issue, sure.

Ramadahl on February 12, 2015 at 4:29 PM

Oldnuke on February 12, 2015 at 3:38 PM

Essentially, the gaming press has been increasingly left-leaning for years as the gaming industry has grown. They act as “gatekeepers” for many smaller games and indie games that aren’t made by the big companies (as coverage can decide whether your game lives or dies), and this has led to corruption and other sleazy “backroom” dealings as you might expect.

A series of incidents in August/September caused gamers to stumble upon this and uncover more and more instances of corruption, some of which involved female developers, and began demanding the press account for the corruption and stop with the left-wing moralizing. Needless to say, rather than reforming their behavior, the press denounced its readership as misogynistic right wing bigots. Unlike most instances when this kind of rhetoric is deployed, gamers didn’t curl up and beg the left for mercy but instead started a mostly-anonymous Twitter hashtag campaign called “GamerGate.”

From then on, other kinds of activism resulted, the most noteworthy being an email campaign to advertisers that advertise on gaming press websites that’s caused Gawker losses in the millions as well as unspecified losses to other gaming websites (one of them Polygon, is owned by Vox Media).

And that’s basically where we are today.

Doomberg on February 12, 2015 at 4:36 PM

Shorter version, Old Nuke: boys v. girls dweebfight.

whatcat on February 12, 2015 at 4:25 PM

Ramadahl on February 12, 2015 at 4:29 PM

Nothing I care much about either way. It’s about as meaningful to my life as some kids arguing over “Dungeons And Dragons” rules. That SVU went downhill so fast is too bad, tho.

whatcat on February 12, 2015 at 4:37 PM

whatcat on February 12, 2015 at 4:37 PM

Ah, the LIV in its natural habitat. Fascinating.

Ramadahl on February 12, 2015 at 4:42 PM

svu is an awfully silly show, but hotair is an awfully silly blog for implying that “gamers” have a leg to stand on in that mess. read jimmy wales’s statement on the matter.

independent76 on February 12, 2015 at 4:54 PM

Ah, the LIV in its natural habitat. Fascinating.

Ramadahl on February 12, 2015 at 4:42 PM

Yeah, I confess – I totally missed the videogames election. Real life things just kept me too busy, sorry about that. But Aquaman…

whatcat on February 12, 2015 at 4:54 PM

And that’s basically where we are today.

Doomberg on February 12, 2015 at 4:36 PM

Yup, this pretty much sums it up well. One of the inciting incidents was a claim (which is said to be false, don’t know don’t care personally) that this one female dev who made “arty” (read: feminist liberal and boring) indy games was sleeping with a game reviewer who wrote glowing stories on her games. This led people to accuse the review industry of having an incestuous relationship with the developers. This led to counter-attacks saying that gamers are sexist, bigoted, etc. A number of articles were written about “The Death of Gamers” and the like.

Well, many gamers resented this and pushed back. I believe Adam Baldwin was the one who first coined the GamerGate phrase. A number of nasty and vile statements were made by both sides, but obviously they love to ignore the ones where they attack Gamergaters and instead focus on the GG ones to people like Anita Sarkeesian (a total hack).

As a Gamergater myself, my view is: Be honest with me. If you’re sleeping with the devs, don’t care, just respect me enough to inform me of any potential conflicts of interest. And secondly, I want fun games. If the game happens to check the different social justice categories (female/minority/whatever protagonists), I don’t really care, I just want it to be a fun game.

RblDiver on February 12, 2015 at 5:07 PM

independent76 on February 12, 2015 at 4:54 PM

This isn’t a real argument, it’s an opinion, a stupid, misguided one at that.

Anti-GamerGaters are SJWs, which is to say that they’re a bunch of shrieking, lying, anti-free-speech wimps, who have never grown up & cannot handle the truth. Sure, some of the GamerGaters are immature, too, but they aren’t opposed to free speech, and they don’t have an entitlement mentality/they’re on the side of the producers.

Anti-ControI on February 12, 2015 at 5:21 PM

Bear in mind that the starting level of any Law & Order: SVU is somewhere around dreck and self-satire anyway.

The got worse when the male lead, Eliot, left.

Count to 10 on February 12, 2015 at 6:22 PM

You know, I thought the Left was supposed to be a beacon of tolerance and reason, but all I see lately is painting gamers with a broad brush of stereotyping, treating them (Well, us I guess, since I play video games) as a bunch of neanderthals who hate women.

It’s comical really.

Othniel on February 12, 2015 at 6:28 PM

Interestingly enough SWATing could be prevented by allowing the police to use better surveillance devices to determine that the situation was not in fact critical.

Count to 10 on February 12, 2015 at 6:28 PM

It’s comical really.

Othniel on February 12, 2015 at 6:28 PM

It is comical.

Anti-GamerGaters are a mob of Marxists & Marxist sympathizers. No one is stopping them from producing games – they simply lack the skills to create them. Because of this, they want to forcibly manipulate those who are skilled enough to change their game-making, as well as attacking those who play the “sexist” games…social engineers gotta socially engineer, don’t you know.

What makes it even more comical is that the A-GG morons aren’t even hardcore gamers, and don’t spend all that much on higher-priced games & gaming machines. Naturally, advertisers are going to side more with the GGs, much to the chagrin of economically illiterate A-GGs…

Anti-ControI on February 12, 2015 at 7:37 PM

This reminds me of NCIS.
I used to rotate my schedule around the next episode.
I loved it and got a lot of other people hooked on it too.
Then Season 7, Episode 10, a show titled “Faith” aired.
It was all about the all too common problem of Christians honor killing Muslim family members. To make this all the more insulting, it was the Christmas episode. I haven’t watched that crap show since.

Noah Bawdy on February 12, 2015 at 7:52 PM

For those dismissing the Gamergate thing and the Gamers fight against the Social Justice Warriors invading their space as strictly Left on Left violence, or “too bloody confusing to make sense of” I’m just going to leave these here. There are some interesting things going on with the Gamers. No they are not in any way shape or form Right Wing. But for the first time since the Vietnam era the sub 30 crowd is not only not completely hostile to Conservatism, but is in fact willing to hear what we have to say. They have been badly burned by the Progressives, in ways that this episode of SVU only just begin to touch on. They have been slandered in the mainstream press as Rapists and haters of women. All simply for playing video games as a hobby. You know “Wakka Wakka … YOU HATE WOMEN YOU MISOGYNISTIC NECKBEARDED RAPIST!” So they are for the most part reaching out and exploring new philosophies. No ways of thinking. Approach them from the Libertarian side of things. They remain quite skitish towards the deep Social Conservative spectrum and the Evangelical side of things. But for the first time in generations there is actually a conversation to be had.

patches on February 12, 2015 at 8:50 PM

independent76 on February 12, 2015 at 4:54 PM

You realize that under Jimmy Wales “rules” on Wikipedia, Gawker and John Stewart are legitimate sites for news regarding Gamergate (or quite frankly news for any Wikipedia entry) yet Brightbart, Hotair, Townhall, or the National Review are not. So how much trust or faith should we be putting in Jimmy Wales opinions? He only wrote his “supposedly neutral” piece because his organization had been flagrantly caught so far over the line of impartiality and so deep into radical feminist marxist left wing propaganda that he was starting to bleed donations and it was corrupting the perceived legitimacy of Wikipedia.

And really Wikipedia was the goal in all of this of the Social Justice crowd. Video Games were just a low hanging fruit to get them there. By getting their articles claiming their [email protected] crazy theories are science and proven fact up on well established gaming press sites they could then be leveraged as “legitimate industry news sites” to be used as refences and citations for Wikipedia. Thereby making their theories the first things found in a applicable internet search and the accepted “everybody knows its true”. And in so doing they bypass Academic Peer Review which has long stymied the more radical and insane of the Radical Marxist Femist Brigade. (Yes believe it or not there are currently some things that even Academia will not buy into. But NBC apparently gobbles them up hook line and sinker. See how this plan works?)

patches on February 12, 2015 at 9:03 PM

Nobody cares.

nobar on February 12, 2015 at 2:37 PM

And this is exactly why conservatives have lost the culture war.

Gaming is the largest entertainment medium out there, and as was stated above, this is a perfect opportunity to let millennials and younger folks at least hear what conservatives have to say.

GamerGate is a start, but it’s scratching the surface of the larger issue of cultural Marxism and its assault on western society.

GrantOldman on February 13, 2015 at 11:16 AM

Is SVU anywhere near ‘intellectually astute’?

WHO CARES?

Has anyone claimed that it IS? Not as far as I know

I’m confident that GAMING certainly isn’t! (this from one who’s last ‘game’ played was Zelda and darn sure not very often not not near enough to win)

Heck I’d watch Mariska Hargitay watching paint dry!

Katfish on February 13, 2015 at 12:40 PM