Williams in 2007: I looked down the tube of that RPG launcher; Update: Williams to take “next several days” off as leave of absence

posted at 11:31 am on February 7, 2015 by Ed Morrissey

Via Ace and Twitter user Niedermeyer’s Dead Horse, yet another tale of Brian Williams’ heroism on that fateful day in Iraq in 2003 has emerged, this time from 2007. Don’t forget that the absolutely false version of his helicopter ride being hit by an RPG had been floating around since 2004, this time the story has even more compelling detail. Williams tells Fairfield University reporter Emily Fitzmaurice in November 2007 about all of the close calls he’s had as a reporter, including the 2003 incident in Iraq in which he looked down the tube of the RPG launcher. Pick up the tales of Williams’ adventures at the two-minute mark:

WILLIAMS: I’ve been very, very lucky the way my life has turned out. I’ve been very lucky to have survived a few things that I’ve been involved in. At a reception a few minutes ago, I was remembering — I tend to forget the war with Hezbollah in Israel a few years back, where there were Katyusha rockets passing just underneath the helicopter I was riding. A few years before that, we go back to Iraq, and I look down the tube of an RPG that had been fired at us, and it hit the chopper in front of ours. And I’m so fortunate to be sitting here.

Note that this time, though, Williams tells his interviewer that the RPG hit the chopper in front of his, rather than his own chopper. The target of the RPG keeps changing back and forth in these narratives, but in 2004, NBC News producer Justin Balding told author Mary Ward that the RPG hit their helicopter. Ward recounts the conversation in her October 2004 book Letters Home:From 9/11 to Operation Iraqi Freedom: A Military Mom Shares Her Family’s Story of Patriotism, Courage and Love (page 125):

balding-2003

It’s possible that Ward mistook what Balding said about which chopper got hit by the RPG, but the witnesses from that time have been consistent since it happened that Williams’ chopper never took fire of any kind, let alone an RPG. Williams never “looked down the tube” of an RPG, at least not on that trip — which Williams himself acknowledged this week.  Once again, this shows that the lie about coming under attack is not some new conflation caused by the fog of war, but a fable Williams has spun ever since it happened, even while the details kept changing. Ward’s book also shows that Williams wasn’t alone in telling the fable.

Here’s a good question: Has anyone checked out the Katyusha rockets story, which sounds rather similar to Williams’ false story in Iraq? It’s entirely possible that it happened just as Williams relates here, but … has anyone verified it? Perhaps NBC News should look into that story too. Williams interviewed Martin Fletcher about it in July 2006 while in Israel, who was on the ground in Israel when the Katyushas hit. There is no mention of a close call for Williams, even though it would have fit within the framework of this interview:

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Less than three weeks later, here’s Williams on The Daily Show, chatting up Jon Stewart about the Katyusha rockets whistling past him, starting at 4:10:

Note that in this telling on August 6, 2006, the rockets are 1500 feet below the helicopters; 15 months later, Williams tells the college reporter that they’re “passing just underneath” the helicopter and that he’s lucky to have survived it. Again, it’s entirely possible that Williams is on the level about flying in a helicopter with Katyushas flying around them. Perhaps the original description he told Stewart was accurate and the later description was “embellished.” But given what we’ve seen with the phony RPG-attack claims, someone might want to get more confirmation — and that someone had better be working for NBC News.

Update: Jeryl Bier found the NBC report on the Katyusha story:

Hardly “just underneath the helicopter,” but not made up either.

Update: John Nolte has more on the Katyusha story. Also, Jeryl Bier comments:

And thanks to Drudge for the link!

Update: Brian Williams has decided to take “the next several days” off to let the firestorm burn itself out:

In the midst of a career spent covering and consuming news, it has become painfully apparent to me that I am presently too much a part of the news, due to my actions.

As Managing Editor of NBC Nightly News, I have decided to take myself off of my daily broadcast for the next several days, and Lester Holt has kindly agreed to sit in for me to allow us to adequately deal with this issue. Upon my return, I will continue my career-long effort to be worthy of the trust of those who place their trust in us.

Williams is (for now at least) putting the responsibility on his own shoulders — or someone is making him do so. This is probably the smart move; by next week, the media focus should shift to other topics, and Williams can test the waters to see whether he’ll continue to be a distraction. Or, perhaps, NBC News is testing whether Lester Holt can take the job on a permanent basis. Howard Kurtz has this right:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Congratulations, on Drudge!

I love it when we hurt them.

Schadenfreude on February 7, 2015 at 2:10 PM

Good thing there’s no union to protect this guy!

rogerb on February 7, 2015 at 2:11 PM

Cavalry? Really?

CALVARY!!!!

Of course Cavalry, he was the only survivor at the Little Big Horn.

F X Muldoon on February 7, 2015 at 2:14 PM

Good thing there’s no union to protect this guy!

rogerb on February 7, 2015 at 2:11 PM

:) U b so bad.

Schadenfreude on February 7, 2015 at 2:14 PM

That’s as bad as being Rick rolled, you jerk! ;)

Dick Richard on February 7, 2015 at 1:39 PM

:-) At least it’s a better song.

Flange on February 7, 2015 at 2:15 PM

Remember that movie, ‘Forest Gump’, about the guy who was always at the center of things? Williams seems to me to be a Forest Gump wannabe, a reporter who feels the need to portray himself at the center of events. Too much vanity for me.

BillCarson on February 7, 2015 at 2:24 PM

“Unfortunately the immutable laws of physics contradict the whole premise of your account. Allow me to reconstruct this, if I may, for Miss Benes, as I’ve heard this story a number of times.

Newman, Kramer, if you’ll indulge me. According to your story Keith passes you and starts walking up the ramp, then you say you were struck on the right temple. The spit then proceeds to ricochet off the temple, striking Newman between the third and fourth rib. The spit then came off the rib, turned and hit Newman in the right wrist, causing him to drop his baseball cap. The spit then splashes off the wrist, pauses — in mid-air, mind you — makes a left turn and lands on Newman’s left thigh.

That is one magic loogie!”

stout77 on February 7, 2015 at 2:29 PM

In the unlikely event Williams is fired, the State Department can hire him so he can swap war fables with John Kerry.

“See this nick on my finger? Self-inflicted gunshot wound.”

“See my drooping eyes?. Dust from a chopper’s blades.”

MaiDee on February 7, 2015 at 2:29 PM

Crosspatch..ha ha! Excellent point. I was thinking the same thing.

elvis lives on February 7, 2015 at 2:36 PM

Well, doc, it all started with a puppy, you see? It was such a cute puppy and I had a wonderful story it told me…I really did that, you know? Such a sweet, adorable puppy that told me it would never grow up…then, one day, it had split into two puppies! Now I had two precious puppies that helped me and told me about how wonderful I was and that I should tell everyone…

I get a bit confused sometimes, doc, you know?

And with the one and then two puppies they told me I could have more wonderful stories…and they went with me wherever I went, but I’m the only one who can see them…soon I was having great memories of things that happened to me, surviving awful attacks… then I went to New Orleans and I started seeing floating dead people…all because of the puppies that no one can see…why they’re here right now, doc….

Put on that nice shirt? Why sure, doc…lots of sleeve length to them but fits fine with the straps…

Now did I ever tell you that the puppies are evil?

ajacksonian on February 7, 2015 at 2:43 PM

Of course Cavalry, he was the only survivor at the Little Big Horn.

F X Muldoon on February 7, 2015 at 2:14 PM

Of Course: Talking Bull…

Kraken on February 7, 2015 at 2:44 PM

Here:

Japanese surrender

Iwo Jima

Rescue

Katrina

justltl on February 7, 2015 at 2:46 PM

I think Brian Williams is a pathological liar (like his network).

This is probably only the beginning. It will take us a while to see how deep the rabbit hole goes. It’s definitely Brian In Wonderland.

TarheelBen on February 7, 2015 at 2:48 PM

Next will be him telling of a night low altitude jump off the rear ramp of a chinook!

You know a recon long range deal in a sand storm of lies.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 7, 2015 at 2:49 PM

….Josh Earnest better watch his azzz if Williams gets fired…

Pelosi Schmelosi on February 7, 2015 at 2:53 PM

Is his name even Brian Williams?

claudius on February 7, 2015 at 3:01 PM

Keep in mind as this goes forward.

The Climate Change, Global Warming, Man made CO2 kills LIE.

Is every where in the MSM, msm, blog media and that LIE is the largest, most evil, tax and spend, control if our lives ever told.

This same evil cabal of commie Marxist Democrats enable and plan to use the LIE to control our lives forever.

Lies kill
Truth is life
Seek truth or die

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 7, 2015 at 3:01 PM

O/T
Drudge headline leads to John Nolte’s story at Breitbart, which includes HA’s Ed Morrissey.

31giddyup on February 7, 2015 at 3:00 PM

31giddyup on February 7, 2015 at 3:02 PM

In the Jon Stewart video, it’s ironic that Williams is kidding Stewart about being in the “fake” news business.

TarheelBen on February 7, 2015 at 3:08 PM

Katrina didn’t kill the people, the botched response did…good grief, one lie after another.

right2bright on February 7, 2015 at 3:13 PM

Williams has said he was a volunteer firefighter for three years when he was in high school. But in New Jersey you have to be 18 to be a firefighter.

Mercyneal on February 7, 2015 at 3:14 PM

31giddyup: Drudge has two links: the top one links directly to Hot Air about Williams staring diwn the tube. The Hezbollah rockets link goes to Breitbart.

Mercyneal on February 7, 2015 at 3:21 PM

right2bright on February 7, 2015 at 3:13 PM

Ray Nagin couldn’t see Brian Williams using semaphores telling him to use the buses.

Soon Brian was seeing floating dead people going by his hotel window.

ajacksonian on February 7, 2015 at 3:21 PM

O/T

31giddyup on February 7, 2015 at 3:00 PM

The tweet lead here

DRUDGE REPORT @DRUDGE_REPORT
Brian Williams ’07: I looked down the tube of that RPG launcher… drudge.tw/1IpO9UC

Flora Duh on February 7, 2015 at 3:22 PM

Hey, just saw above that Drudge linked and it is to your post. At the top of the list, too. Congrats, Ed. Nice work.

Dusty on February 7, 2015 at 3:25 PM

Williams apologized for coming down from the cross after only 12 hours, bur he said he needed the wood before nightfall to build a Habitat For Humanity house for a homeless family.

whatcat on February 7, 2015 at 3:35 PM

Facts count up.

Lies deduct to zero.

They all know they lie.

The thing is to catch them in the lies and get past their filter aka MSM control of the truth. Only members need aply.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 7, 2015 at 3:36 PM

LOL Williams can take the GREAT Rev Al’s 6:00 time-slot on MSNBC…

He is a liar, what else is new?

Redford on February 7, 2015 at 3:47 PM

Liberals always know everything, I mean, they consider themselves experts.

I suppose that is because they make up stories in their heads and then believe them to be true. And since they experienced a made-up experience they KNOW!!!

Like the Michael Brown hands up thing… completely made up, but it caused marches and sports controversy, all over something made up. People even died because of a made up story. And they still won’t back down. To this day if you ask about Michael Brown to half the country they would swear he was shot in the back while trying to surrender, instead of charging the policeman, after trying to kill him with his own gun.

How can we survive in a country full of people who have so little grasp on reality?

petunia on February 7, 2015 at 3:51 PM

Hey Brian, when you get mocked by MoDo, you’ve just about reached the bottom of the totem pole.

John Nolte @NolteNC
Maureen Dowd blasts Brian Williams –> Anchors Aweigh nyti.ms/1Fjmnnq

Flora Duh on February 7, 2015 at 3:57 PM

Well done, Ed…making it on Drudge. Well done indeed!

22044 on February 7, 2015 at 4:07 PM

All truth seekers must work to cross-pollinate to one another and to the low info workers who do not have the time to find the bypass from the MSM.

Example is http://www.wattsupwiththat.com/ on the Climate Change lie.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 7, 2015 at 4:10 PM

Another example is the work being done by people all over the US.

Taking photos of Mexican Bus loads in truck stops all over.

The DOT cert. not real, the bus without ins. , the bus not even reg. to the correct owners.

The vidio’s are being sent to members of the house and senate.

Example the big truch stop just east of Dallas in Rockwall Tx. a TR truck stop.

6 to 8 bus loads a day vido of illegals getting off the bus, paying for stuff in brand new crisp U.S. $100.00 bills..

Facts ,
Truth,
Evidence.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 7, 2015 at 4:18 PM

If you do not fight they will win by default.

Example: Obama and Radical Islam.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 7, 2015 at 4:21 PM

“Hi, I’m Brian Isuzu Williams and I flew a helicopter into the mouth of a 2,000 pound RPG round. You have my word on it. And if I’m lying may lightning hit my mother”.

VorDaj on February 7, 2015 at 4:22 PM

Example: Obama and Radical Islam.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 7, 2015 at 4:21 PM

Today they bake, tomorrow they brew
Then all humanity in shariah or death they plan to stew
For still far too few comprehend the devious game
And fewer still will say it aloud, that simply Islam is its name!

VorDaj on February 7, 2015 at 4:25 PM

He’s toast!

BREAKING! Scandal-ridden Brian Williams LEAVES NBC Nightly News… for a few days

A few days? Who wants to bet he won’t be back?

Flora Duh on February 7, 2015 at 4:31 PM

Brian: Did I tell you about the time I saved my good buddy Barack Hussein’s life from an army of fire-breathing, acid-spitting Aliens from outer space? They were bloodthirsty, well-armed Republikanians from Altair III. All I carried was my trusty, two-inch Boy Scout knife. I remember fearlessly looking down the 16″ barrels of their monstrous tasers–I thought I was going to die…

BladeKeeper on February 7, 2015 at 4:34 PM

BladeKeeper on February 7, 2015 at 4:37 PM

A few days? Who wants to bet he won’t be back?

Flora Duh on February 7, 2015 at 4:31 PM

Not taking that bet Flora, remember, this is NBC.

bernzright777 on February 7, 2015 at 4:39 PM

Dreams in the leftists’ charlatanic imagination

Schadenfreude on February 7, 2015 at 4:40 PM

Liar’s Rehap in a plush place near Lost Wages, paid for by Obama Care.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 7, 2015 at 4:40 PM

The demon of History has anger on the lies of the true History.
The demon of History sits with red angry eyes back in the tree line.
The dust from his huge demon horse’s hooves rises up now.
The blue steel of the hooves strike the concrete truth and sparks fly up.

Near now the hot breath of the demon and his huge horse come to the liars of the truth and the true history.

clop, clop, clop, CLOP, CLOP,

NEAR now, the fear come to them, no lie large enough to cover them now.

The urge to run, nowhere to run, they panic , the sweat, they know now.

Judgement Comes.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 7, 2015 at 4:45 PM

In a nutshell, Brian Williams sees the story is too white-hot for him to keep anchoring right now and hopes it will cool off in a few days

— idiot Howard Kurtz

Schadenfreude on February 7, 2015 at 4:47 PM

Keep it simple.

CO2 is a plant food.
Corn eats CO2
Humans eat corn.
We exhale CO2.

It is not hard science.

The truth is the easy way.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 7, 2015 at 4:48 PM

Howard Putz.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 7, 2015 at 4:48 PM

Howard Kurtz, low skill shill.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 7, 2015 at 4:50 PM

Actually, I think Brian’s been working below his level of competence; he would make a really great Press Secretary for Obama’s White House Gang. Just sayin’…

BladeKeeper on February 7, 2015 at 4:50 PM

I doubt he was the only one telling false tales about Katrina. Other reporters should get the same treatment.

agmartin on February 7, 2015 at 4:54 PM

If all the liars of the MSM get the same treatment, the janitors of the networks would have to produce and read the news.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 7, 2015 at 4:58 PM

My Photoshop contribution:

Glad You Could Join Me Neil

ReaganWasRight on February 7, 2015 at 4:58 PM

I am virulently anti-Left and anti-Media and thus no fan of Brian Williams.
But I hope that the dude doesn’t kill himself.
Despite all outward appearances of great fame and fortune, I suspect that the guy has a pretty fragile ego that is dependent on the opinion of others to an extreme degree (which probably led him to confabulate in the first place). And it’s all crashing down. Even worse, he is being completely humiliated. Bad bad.

Now, on the other hand, an A-hole like Dan Rather would predictably be completely impervious to such events.

justltl on February 7, 2015 at 5:00 PM

I suspect that those couple of days off will soon morph to become a permanent ‘leave of absence’ from the NBC Nightly News anchor chair.

But let’s not forget that all of this is endemic not of the bankruptcy of Brian Williams, or even NBC News. It’s endemic of the vast majority of the ‘Ministry of Truth’ aka mainstream media where it’s 2+2=5 whenever it serves their political or personal interests.

Athos on February 7, 2015 at 5:00 PM

Howard Putz.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 7, 2015 at 4:48 PM

Watching the likes of him, the eternal charlatans, who all brung/kept obama and all he stands, or doesn’t stand for, is pure joy.

Schadenfreude on February 7, 2015 at 5:01 PM

NBC should hire Brit Hume to be the anchor replacement…time to restock MSM with honest conservative-oriented journalists

wholefoodsrepublican on February 7, 2015 at 5:01 PM

Picking random people off the street and asking them if they would like to read the news for one night would be a big improvement for NBC. They might get some people who would accept and then point out that their stories make no sense. That would be a ratings bonanza, but not in a good way for NBC.

ajacksonian on February 7, 2015 at 5:01 PM

My Photoshop contribution:

Glad You Could Join Me Neil

ReaganWasRight on February 7, 2015 at 4:58 PM

Excellent!

Schadenfreude on February 7, 2015 at 5:01 PM

Well, I guess this really means he is on the way out. I would only hope that NBC would ask for the resignation of Al Sharpton.

SC.Charlie on February 7, 2015 at 5:03 PM

But I hope that the dude doesn’t kill himself.

justltl on February 7, 2015 at 5:00 PM

Metaphorically he has already killed his career. I, too, pray that he does no physical harm to himself.

SC.Charlie on February 7, 2015 at 5:07 PM

HIATUS today, BYE-ATUS next week. Good riddance.

Naturally Curly on February 7, 2015 at 5:08 PM

SC.Charlie on February 7, 2015 at 5:03 PM

This is NBC!

Weird Al Sharpton will get promoted to Brian’s old job.

ajacksonian on February 7, 2015 at 5:08 PM

Does anyone find it at all curious that each of these tales is being related by a television journalist who is accompanied by camera crews everywhere he goes and, yet… there is no video of any of his most outlandish exploits? We ask why we have not heard from any of the news crews who were with him. I would ask why we have not seen the film they most certainly shot of these incredible adventures.

Oh, there is no tape? What, the camera crews just forgot to film the floating dead body, or the kitty rescue, or the rocket fire, or the blast of an RPG round hitting their helicopter? Wow, what a coincidence.

IndieDogg on February 7, 2015 at 5:12 PM

Trust./

CW on February 7, 2015 at 5:14 PM

You have to always wonder what is really true…but you really have to wonder what was true before the internets. Imagine the bs the big three peddled.

CW on February 7, 2015 at 5:16 PM

A few days? Who wants to bet he won’t be back?

Flora Duh on February 7, 2015 at 4:31 PM

I’m betting 2:1 that he will be back. Maybe in a few weeks rather than days, but he’ll be back. Putting him on admin leave seems to confirms it. If they were going to cut him loose, they would have done that. Admin leave is just a way to take him out of the spotlight until the furor dies down. NBC is figuring it can recover after the whole thing blows over.

After all, NBC is ‘investigating’ itself. So NBC will reach whatever conclusion it wants. I’ll bet the conclusion has already been reached, and the decision is to put Williams out of sight (admin leave, followed by maybe a few weeks’ vacation) long enough for the thing to blow over.

petefrt on February 7, 2015 at 5:17 PM

Vice President Biden has a question about Williams’ hiatus

Flora Duh on February 7, 2015 at 5:20 PM

Psycho quote from Lyin’ Brian…he needs counseling.

d1carter on February 7, 2015 at 5:21 PM

I bet other “journalists” are scared sh!tless. There’s blood in the water. How long before people start digging into other reporters’ alleged close calls?

Please, oh please, somebody catch Shep Smith misremembering.

ReaganWasRight on February 7, 2015 at 5:26 PM

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 7, 2015 at 4:58 PM

Add Geraldine-o Rivers and Shep S to that list…

OmahaConservative on February 7, 2015 at 5:27 PM

It will give others time to find every single tall tale Lyin’ Brian has ever told….this looks like kryptonite.

d1carter on February 7, 2015 at 5:29 PM

Is Lyin’ Brian saying that Turness had no say in this matter….?

d1carter on February 7, 2015 at 5:34 PM

Good luck coming back fcuktard. Even you know you cant unwring a bell, liberal douchebag….

elvis lives on February 7, 2015 at 5:41 PM

I’m sure Mr. Williams will volunteer for some university research into his mis-rembering issues during his hiatus.

After all, remember when so-called “repressed” memories hit the headlines? That was fascinating and dubious enough, but Brian isn’t just capable of digging out his own memories; he can access someone else’s memories as well.

Think how confusing it must be to apparently remember yourself being in manly and dangerous situations and then find out on the news that it actually happened to someone else.

This malady might be pretty widespread at the upper levels of our society. Obama, for example, seems to remember spending the last 6 years living in an America that is unabashedly racist and in which the economy is booming and jobs are abundant, i.e. he’s accessing someone’s memories of living in the 1950s.

Dolce Far Niente on February 7, 2015 at 5:43 PM

His replacement will be black so that the R card can be played over and over until things are back to “normal” with everyone kissing BHO’s backside.

Annar on February 7, 2015 at 5:49 PM

Williams is going upriver, about 75 klicks above the Do Lung bridge.

That’s Cambodia, Captain.

Christien on February 7, 2015 at 5:56 PM

Of some note:

“You can keep your Dr.”

B. Onama

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 7, 2015 at 5:57 PM

Christin,

Kerry had the first set of Jaws Of Life to cut the chains and wire rope across the river don’t ya know any thing about liars .

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 7, 2015 at 6:00 PM

Free on the inter tubes:

Save all the shuffling around of the verbs and nouns and stuff.

Obama lies makes the news and then he can read the news off the NBC telapromp-Obsma.

Save money and time.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 7, 2015 at 6:15 PM

….Josh Earnest better watch his azzz if Williams gets fired…

Pelosi Schmelosi on February 7, 2015 at 2:53 PM

Got that right.

A WH that trades off Al Sharpton wouldn’t hesitate to trade off of Brian Williams.

petefrt on February 7, 2015 at 6:36 PM

IndieDogg on February 7, 2015 at 5:12 PM

I have been saying the same for several days now.
No video: it didn’t happen (cf Breitbart’s challenge to the congressional Dems to play a tape of all the “racist” comments they supposedly endured on one particular day – they can’t because it didn’t happen).

CW on February 7, 2015 at 5:16 PM

Sometimes you don’t have to imagine it – there are books about the lying that preceded our current brouhaha.
And don’t even think about before television itself, or radio, or film documentaries, or photographs, or writing ….
Even the historians that are supposed to sift out the wheat from the chaff end up publishing their own biases and spin.

AesopFan on February 7, 2015 at 8:08 PM

How many more Lyin’ Brian stories will be unearthed in the next week?

Another Drew on February 7, 2015 at 8:58 PM

And John Fnnn Kerry looked down the Balance Sheet of Theresa Heinz, how bold.

Goodie on February 7, 2015 at 10:11 PM

A few days? Who wants to bet he won’t be back?

Flora Duh on February 7, 2015 at 4:31 PM

I suspect you’re right, and the “few days off” merely provides his people and NBC’s people with a bit of space to figure out how much of his remaining contract will have to be bought out by the network to get all the NDAs signed and to ensure he goes quietly into the sunset.

But then again, it is NBC.

Gator Country on February 7, 2015 at 10:43 PM

“I looked down the tube of an RPG in Iraq.”
No, Brian. That was your daughter’s colon on HBO.

Bevan on February 9, 2015 at 10:06 AM