Surprise: Obama to back tax hikes in State of the Union

posted at 3:31 pm on January 18, 2015 by Noah Rothman

In an appearance on Meet the Press on Sunday, White House Press Sec. Josh Earnest summed up President Barack Obama’s theme for his coming State of the Union Address: “Middle class economics.” Read: Tax hikes.

“He will propose using revenue generated from the tax increases—which would fall mainly on high-income households—to pay for a raft of new breaks aimed at boosting stagnant incomes for low- and middle-income households,” The Wall Street Journal reported.

The White House plan would make broad changes to the tax bills of wealthier taxpayers, mainly by raising the taxes they pay on investments. The top capital gains rate would rise to 28% from 23.8%. The plan also would impose capital-gains tax on more inherited assets.

For high-income taxpayers, the Obama proposal would represent another significant increase in taxes on investment. It would boost the top rate to 28%, from the current 23.8%, for married couples with incomes over about $500,000.

The basic top tax rate on dividends and capital gains was lowered to 15% under the Bush administration. The Obama administration already has pushed the top rate to 20%, and added a special 3.8% tax rate for many types of investments. Along with other changes under Mr. Obama, the current top rate on investment income amounts to almost 25%, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

The administration said its proposed 28% capital gains rate would set the rate at the same level as under President Ronald Reagan ’s 1986 tax overhaul. But the Reagan-era overhaul also taxed earned income at a top rate of 28%; the top rate on earned income now is 39.6%.

The president will propose a variety of programs for low-income and middle-income Americans, many of which will be warmly greeted by the public. He will contend that these tax hikes will help pay for a new tax credit for working families in which both parents hold jobs. Obama will also claim that these hikes will facilitate tripling the value of and increasing access to the child-care tax credit.

The Journal report also indicates that that the revenue raised from these tax hikes will go to pay for new programs like his proposal for “free” community college. Obama will insist that all of his proposed tax increases target the wealthy but, according to Americans for Tax Reform, that’s not entirely true.

One of the tax hikes will target formerly tax-free savings in 529 college savings plans, the advocacy organization revealed. “Under the Obama plan, earnings growth in a 529 plan would no longer be tax-free,” ATR claimed. “Instead, earnings would face taxation upon withdrawal, even if the withdrawal is to pay for college. This was the law prior to 2001.”

Indeed. Rather than addressing the market distortions which are largely responsible for the absurdly high cost of a college education, by creating barriers between the consumer and the product they are consuming, the White House only plans to exacerbate this condition by hiding the true costs of a college education. Embracing that approach as a “solution” to rising college costs would be bad enough, but taxing college savings in order to cover new public costs is scandalous.

The White House is also going to target inheritance assets, which they claim unfairly escape capital gains taxes. While they are not proposing changes to the estate tax, the White House wants to treat bequeathed assets as gifts that would be subject to taxation. Obama’s pledge to close what he will call the “trust fund loophole” will sound like reasonable progressive populism to millions until they learn that this targets endowments over $200,000 (providing couples with a half million dollar exemption for their primary residence).

Even though some of these tax increases will do the middle class no favors, it is not clear they will be rejected by a majority of the public. Pollsters increasingly find that the Democratic Party’s message of economic populism is resonating with a public that has not seen their incomes increase in years.

“In one of the most important and interesting findings in this survey, a reform message opens votes up to a progressive economic narrative,” read a Democracy Corps memo released last week. “Voters who heard the reform message before hearing the Democratic economic messages were more than 10-points more likely to describe the Democratic framing as ‘very convincing’ as voters who heard the Democratic framing first (43 percent very convincing and 32 percent very convincing, respectively).”

The president is also positioning himself vis a vis congressional Republicans when negotiations over tax code reform begin in earnest. Many of the above proposals will be nonstarters for the Republican-dominated 114th Congress, but the administration is banking on broad public support to help overcome that opposition. They may just get it. It will be incumbent on Republicans to make the case for why the White House’s tax increases without sufficiently comprehensive offsets are counterproductive. For the last six years, the GOP has not done an effective job of communicating this to the public in a compelling manner.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Tyler sounds really dumb and really young…take those attributes and combine that with laziness, a public education, greediness, and covetous and you have the perfect Obama supporter.

CW on January 18, 2015 at 6:37 PM

Yeah, I wondered if I should just yell that at him but I thought I might give him a taste of reality.

Fallon on January 18, 2015 at 6:36 PM

I commend you and should be more like you. You have far more patience.

CW on January 18, 2015 at 6:38 PM

CW

Comments like your make it impossible for people like me to talk politics with independents. They ask me for information, to recommended websites to look at that have a right leaning tone to them, so they can check out the other side of things.

With only one or two exceptions, they come back to me totally turned off, because they try to ask questions and engage in the comment sections, and are immediately attacked and hounded. Called names, and shut out of any meaningful dialogue.

Stuff like your behavior is why I’m pretty convinced the right has completely lost the American public at large. Congrats. Hope you enjoy President Bernie Sanders

TylerMichaels on January 18, 2015 at 6:39 PM

The wealthy don’t pay the taxes, they own the businesses that just raise prices to offset the tax increase…and who buys their product?

right2bright on January 18, 2015 at 6:40 PM

enjoy President Bernie Sanders

TylerMichaels on January 18, 2015 at 6:39 PM

Hahahahaha-good one.

Yet, YOU KNOW I AM RIGHT about YOU.

You’re a leech and you hate those that succeed.

Admit it…you’re in your twenties and you’re a loser.

My money is on it.

CW on January 18, 2015 at 6:44 PM

Yeah, f*ck me. How dare I ask questions about things I don’t know. Wouldn’t want to help me understand or anything, maybe see the truth in your positions.

Jesus. Conservatives rail on about the left taking over education, but when someone come to them asking for help and understanding, he’s called names..

TylerMichaels on January 18, 2015 at 6:45 PM

Yeah, I’m in my 20’s, in college, saddled with huge student loans. I know that even when i graduate, ill probably be unable to find a job that will let me pay them off in any reasonable timeframe. Im doing my best to get by, find my way in life.

There’s millions of other people in this country in my same position. And because of the hateful, vengeful crap you spew I can’t get a single one to look at conservative ideas. You’re your own worst enemy.

TylerMichaels on January 18, 2015 at 6:53 PM

Is Obama an economic illiterate, listening to economic illiterates, or trying to hurt people?

The same tired, “rich need to pay their fair share” socialist line is not only dishonest, but malicious in its attempt to turn Americans against each other. Im so sick of this particular leftist hackery….yet people buy it.

alecj on January 18, 2015 at 6:58 PM

TylerMichaels on January 18, 2015 at 6:39 PM

1) You are correct that CW is acting like an ass.

2) It’s the internet and politics. Go be a polite but persistent TEA Party conservative on a place like ……. pretty much anywhere out there in the “mainstream.” You’ll get vilification much like CW just did, or worse. Left wing sites will also eject you if you stick around for long at all.

We’re the tolerant ones, believe it or not, CW’s and all. Don’t buy into the Conservatives Are Meanies spew.

fadetogray on January 18, 2015 at 6:59 PM

fadetogray

If that all anyone can expect to get on the internet when it comes to conservative politics, then the fact most are actually nice people won’t matter. The bad eggs will have ruined it for everyone.

Again, I can’t hardly get anyone to look at conservative politics. People either are already turned off, or they get driven away. That’s not a recipe to win elections.

And if you think Bernie Sanders is a pipe dream, you need to think again. Not a single person I know wants Hillary. They think the problem with Obama is that he compromised too much.

TylerMichaels on January 18, 2015 at 7:12 PM

alecj on January 18, 2015 at 6:58 PM

I’m not buying anything this huckster says – he’s full of baloney and is nothing more than Al Sharpton with a jumbo jet. Can’t wait until he and his grifter wife are just a memory, consigned to the dustbin of history as America’s Biggest Mistake.

Key West Reader on January 18, 2015 at 7:16 PM

TylerMichaels on January 18, 2015 at 6:53 PM

You asked good questions earlier — never stop asking and learning.

There are many good commenters here who will patiently provide lots of valuable insight over time (this evening’s been a little slow) …

ShainS on January 18, 2015 at 7:17 PM

Again, I can’t hardly get anyone to look at conservative politics.

TylerMichaels on January 18, 2015 at 7:12 PM

FYI — my technique over the past three or four decades has always been to give the gift Ayn Rand’s “The Fountainhead” first … and, if they’re still intrigued, “Atlas Shrugged” next.

Of course, I don’t know if young people read many books these days …

ShainS on January 18, 2015 at 7:20 PM

It sounds like you are coming from a ‘progressive’ environment (don’t buy the ‘I’m an independent’ bs from friends steeped in leftist indoctrination). As I said, if you were coming from a TEA environment to a mainstream site with many commenters, you’d get as bad or worse. I know. Try it.

TylerMichaels on January 18, 2015 at 7:12 PM

And if I had any doubts about what kind of political environment you’re in, that settled it. :)

Bernie doesn’t scare me at all. It might be a good thing for the country to elect someone like him. Shock value.

I’m much more concerned about the ‘progressive’ slow boil.

fadetogray on January 18, 2015 at 7:24 PM

Again, I can’t hardly get anyone to look at conservative politics.

TylerMichaels on January 18, 2015 at 7:12 PM

All you have to do is ask:

1. Do you realize that a government that is big enough to give you everything you “need” is also big enough to take it all away? Do you enjoy modern day slavery imposed by Democrats? Welfare and government dependency = defacto slavery.

2. Or, do you believe in personal freedom and liberty, and the ability to achieve whatever you want through hard work and personal responsibility, thereby knowing a sense of self accomplishment and pride?

Very simple.

Key West Reader on January 18, 2015 at 7:27 PM

Surprise: Obama to back tax hikes in State of the Union

I hope his teleprompter fails – like completely blows out so he will have to stand there, with nothing to say but.. Umm.

Key West Reader on January 18, 2015 at 7:48 PM

READ Tyler’s past posts . He’s so duped.

Let’s not pretend he is sincere.

Oh and Tyler..yeh Fck you…..

See how you latched on to my posts and not those here that
approached you differently…

You’re looking for any excuse to justify your moocher mindset…

and ES you little pansy.

Bernie Sanders…LOL dimwit.

CW on January 18, 2015 at 8:06 PM

…I can’t hardly get anyone to look at conservative politics.

TylerMichaels on January 18, 2015 at 7:12 PM

Liberals are the most close-minded people…take that to the bank.

CW on January 18, 2015 at 8:16 PM

Thank you, President Obama for shaping the debate for 2016 race.

Great tactic. Populist. Appeals to the masses.

Ned Pepper on January 18, 2015 at 3:39 PM

If this crap actually worked, Obama wouldn’t be leaving behind the largest GOP congressional majority in 150 years.

Chuck Schick on January 18, 2015 at 8:17 PM

Great tactic. Populist. Appeals to the masses.
Ned Pepper on January 18, 2015 at 3:39 PM

And the masses are asses.
Throwing away their freedom and future for some ‘free’ crap today.

LegendHasIt on January 18, 2015 at 8:33 PM

TylerMichaels on January 18, 2015 at 6:53 PM

I just typed a long response to you and the damn refresh ate it.

Anyway, if you really want to learn, don’t wait to start living. When hubby and I married the only thing we had between us was student loans and a child on the way.

We took a lot of goofy jobs to try to make ends meet. Hubby (with an English degree) eventually got a job as an assistant manager in a grocery store working 50 hours a week. Every time the company asked us to move, we went. We were experts at moving, boxing our limited stuff, renting a U-Haul and going where there was opportunity.

We had four kids in six years. I became an expert at budgeting and stretching food and money. Hubby sometimes hunted and fished to supplement our food. Seriously. My mom shopped garage sales to get nice clothes for the kids. My oldest daughter lived in 14 apartments and houses in her life. She was ten when we paid off our last student loans and remembers that day.

Hubby moved up in retail until he didn’t want to do it anymore. Then his college degree came in handy when he had the retail experience and a degree. He was hired as a buyer for a wholesale company. One thing led to another and we eventually opened our own company.

Yeah, I left out a lot (lots of high and low points) but the thing is, don’t stand still. Start your life, live your life, do what you can. It is still possible to succeed in America if you work at it.

Fallon on January 18, 2015 at 8:36 PM

Did tylermichael ever say who he voted for in 08 and 12?

elvis lives on January 18, 2015 at 8:42 PM

If all the people he knows think obama compromised too much, i think i know the answer.

elvis lives on January 18, 2015 at 8:43 PM

Oh and Tyler, Obama is an ass. We worked and sacrificed our whole lives, only to be told that we are the evil 1%. We are not. We are not the uber rich with trust funds and multiple houses. We helped out kids attend college. We helped our parents get care. We help our local food bank. Our money is spent in our community. The government needs more people like us to fleece for tax money while they protect people like the Kennedys, the Feinsteins, the Pelosis and yes, the Romneys and Bushs.

We are not the enemy that Obama wants you to think we are. I’m sick at the attitude and divisiveness the president spews.

As Bono once said, “Ireland has a very different attitude to success than a lot of places, certainly than over here in the United States. In the United States, you look at the guy that lives in the mansion on the hill, and you think, you know, one day, if I work really hard, I could live in that mansion. In Ireland, people look up at the guy in the mansion on the hill and go, one day, I’m going to get that bastard. It’s a different mind-set.”

That crappy European mindset has come to America. Don’t give in to it. It’s not who we are as a country.

Fallon on January 18, 2015 at 8:48 PM

Tyler michaels plan for success is to win a lottery…probably a future mcdonalds employee

elvis lives on January 18, 2015 at 8:57 PM

Tyler,

Test
1. Are John Kerry’s. Awards and. Citations real.

Yes or no.

2. Does CO2 made by humans use of oil and gas cause climate of earth to change.

Yes or no

Let us see who has their mind closed to facts and is losing the trust of Americans.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 18, 2015 at 9:22 PM

What Prez O’BoutMe wants for the massively under employed youth and minorities is to take money from the small business that can hire the massively under employed youth and minorities.

If that isn’t the personification of the epitome of stupidity, I’d like to know what is.

Don’t know about you folks, I never worked for a poor man in my life. Didn’t seem prudent. I’ve done well. Really well, in fact.

WestTexasBirdDog on January 18, 2015 at 9:26 PM

TylerMichaels on January 18, 2015 at 6:53 PM

Why not? Are they that brainwashed and narrow minded??..lost in hive mind and the comfort that kills brain cells?
Do you judge it by equal measure from the other side??

I didn’t read the whole thread. What words or ideas are you judging as “hateful” and “vengeful crap”?
Just curious.

Mimzey on January 18, 2015 at 10:33 PM

Mimzey…maybe the hateful, vengeful crap tyler was referring to is stuff like reagan talking about a shining city on a hill. Or maybe ” government isnt the solution to our problems..it IS the problem”. You know..hateful sh!t like that

elvis lives on January 18, 2015 at 11:12 PM

OH GOD!! Please!! Stop me before I vote again!!

Tough to pay off those student loans with an extra 3-5 percent taken out of your pay, huh?

WryTrvllr on January 18, 2015 at 11:19 PM

Who here falls into the “married and making over 500k” bracket? Or its corollary single bracket, which I assume is 250k+?

TylerMichaels on January 18, 2015 at 5:29 PM

Why didn’t you phrase it:

“Who here works 80-110 hour work weeks, often at 1 am, and during holidays”?

WryTrvllr on January 18, 2015 at 11:33 PM

Also, Tyler, in your estimation of 38 ersomethingorother% did your include the 6.25 holyshytwhatthehellisthis % payroll tax? Maybe the phase out of deductions? At least the AMT? Right?

WryTrvllr on January 18, 2015 at 11:42 PM

Oh, and hey, Tyler. It looks like the 39.6% kicks in on income over 406k filing single, but a generous 457k filing married. Genius boy.

WryTrvllr on January 18, 2015 at 11:48 PM

So Obama thinks the way to fix the economy is to:

Punish those who budget for the future.
Punish those who save.
Punish those who invest.
Punish widows and orphans.

Says it all, really.

GrumpyOldFart on January 19, 2015 at 8:07 AM

Would love to see a walkout.

Joe Wilson proven right once again.

ProfShadow on January 19, 2015 at 8:08 AM

Dont think we will be hearing too much more from the *ahem* twenty something year old college student tyler michaels

elvis lives on January 19, 2015 at 8:31 AM

Now President Obama is portraying himself as a Robin Hood figure.

The problem with this is that Robin Hood didn’t just steal from the rich in general. The rich he stole from were royalty or tax collectors; i.e. government. Robin Hood was in fact a Tea Partier.

President Obama’s signature law Obamacare will now penalize the poor with an “unexpectedly” higher penalty than the widely publicized $95.

President Obama is no Robin Hood. He’s the Sheriff of Nottingham on steroids.

Star Bird on January 19, 2015 at 9:16 AM

LOL!! Mittens talking like Fauxahantos!! Who would have thought Mittens and Senator Elizabeth Warren will have the same views on income inequality.

Ned Pepper on January 18, 2015 at 3:39 PM

Anyone who understands that they’re both progressives.

Star Bird on January 19, 2015 at 9:20 AM

Let’s compromise.

Only tax rich Democrats.

A win-win.

profitsbeard on January 18, 2015 at 3:40 PM

Democrats are the Party of the Rich after all.

Star Bird on January 19, 2015 at 9:22 AM

Why worry about printing more money when according to GOP and Reagonomics “Deficits don’t matter.”

Cheney cut him off, saying, “You know, Paul, Reagan proved deficits don’t matter.”

Ned Pepper on January 18, 2015 at 3:48 PM

“Reagan taught us right — deficits don’t matter, spending does.”

Star Bird on January 19, 2015 at 9:38 AM

Ned can’t function without government control. He needs his every action dictated to him by handlers.

CurtZHP on January 18, 2015 at 4:02 PM

Well yes, like any child that craves discipline, leftists crave regulation.

Star Bird on January 19, 2015 at 9:39 AM

Ned has to be getting paid.

CW on January 18, 2015 at 4:23 PM

He actually might be.

Star Bird on January 19, 2015 at 9:41 AM

Brilliant strategy.The GOP has been unable to articulate a popular anti-tax increase on the 1%and quite frankly,the stale response that a tax hike on those that create jobs isn’t going to cut it in an anti-Wall Street,anti-Chamber of Commerce environment.The greed and corruption plus its support of amnesty doesn’t sit well with the middle class.It will be a huge mistake for the GOP to think the midterms were a ringing endorsement for their policies.The middle class rejected the leftist extremes of the Obama,Pelosi Reid Trinity in 2014.I doubt the middle class has any idea just what the GOP is really for.If the GOP rejects this tax hike out of hand, without articulating a meaningful alternative to help the middle class-the group most hurt by the stagnant Obama economy-they will lose that group as fast as you can say “Mitt Romney”.

redware on January 19, 2015 at 9:42 AM

Ned has to be getting paid.

CW on January 18, 2015 at 4:23 PM

It’s also been reported here.

Star Bird on January 19, 2015 at 9:43 AM

TylerMichaels on January 18, 2015 at 5:29 PM

You ask this question as though you don’t expect President Obama and his Collective to arbitrarily move the goal posts.

Star Bird on January 19, 2015 at 9:50 AM

Not a problem…as a test, let’s take from the pay of congress first, for just 12 months as a test.

If that works out, than we can roll it out for the rest of the country.

right2bright on January 19, 2015 at 10:53 AM

We need to back this hook line and sinker. If this is what America wants, GIVE IT TO THEM! Things will only get better once this country is completely destroyed.

el hombre on January 19, 2015 at 11:00 AM

He actually might be.

Star Bird on January 19, 2015 at 9:41 AM

When Obama first ran, I exposed several that were on liberal payrolls, and one who was a conservative.

I took a lot of heat from the conservative one, he was a great poster and a lot of fun.

After the election he “came out” and admitted…the liberal ones just quit posting, but one came back and named the paid ones.

It’s common to have a PAC pay a poster to go on several different sites and promote their agenda.

Many lay low until the actual election gets close than they bombard. One of the tactics is pretend you are “conservative” but always attack the front runner and support others. They think they are clever by always being for a “conservative”, just one that won’t win because if they start to gain traction, they turn on him/her.

They will begin popping up in a few months.

The strange ones were the Mormon’s…not paid but flooded this site for Mitt…but after he was nominated, they seem to have bailed…very strange. Very vocal and definitely the meanest of any of the posters, which was strange in itself. But the quickest to stop once he was nominated, as if that was enough.

Just a reflection back…

right2bright on January 19, 2015 at 11:01 AM

Prediction: Obama STOU address will have the lowest Nielsen ratings ever.

Dasher on January 19, 2015 at 11:02 AM

el hombre on January 19, 2015 at 11:00 AM

When in modern history has that happened?

right2bright on January 19, 2015 at 11:03 AM

Tyler, are you still around?

Fallon on January 19, 2015 at 11:10 AM

When in modern history has that happened?

right2bright on January 19, 2015 at 11:03 AM

The American Revolution.

Star Bird on January 19, 2015 at 11:14 AM

Whoa, that was weird everything went white except for what I was typing. Gonna try again…

Just a reflection back…

right2bright on January 19, 2015 at 11:01 AM

I don’t remember any of the paid posters being revealed by name but I do remember the rabid Mormon posters. They liked to call people “bigots” if I remember correctly.

Fallon on January 19, 2015 at 11:16 AM

This “plan” includes taxing my son’s college savings. It’s all we have left after my husband passed away. Lost everything already, why not take the college fund, too?

I need a beer.

Key West Reader on January 19, 2015 at 11:16 AM

Regarding ned. I harkin back to the famous words uttered by eddie murphy in 48 hours……”Bullsh!t, hes too stupid to have a job”!!

elvis lives on January 19, 2015 at 11:33 AM

Me thinks el hombre doth play for the other side.

elvis lives on January 19, 2015 at 11:35 AM

Tyler had to go buy his lottery tickets before reporting for duty at long john silvers

elvis lives on January 19, 2015 at 11:37 AM

Hey el hombre…eres ilegal?

elvis lives on January 19, 2015 at 11:43 AM

Just a reflection back…

right2bright on January 19, 2015 at 11:01 AM

Leftists attempting to pass themselves off as conservatives on message boards, tend to give themselves away by using certain key words and favored phrases.

Things like, “meaningful dialogue,” or hateful, vengeful, or how he lectures conservatives on what will or won’t win them elections shortly after conservatives mopped the floor with the Collective in 2014.

If he is a genuine twenty-something, then he should ask himself some questions:

Does he think that sitting in class and discussing things with his peers, and having papers critiqued by those same untrained and inexperienced students with no qualifications provides a valuable educational experience? Doesn’t he feel that he’s getting robbed?

He should also ask himself, if he enjoys having teachers, professors, and parents hovering over his shoulder every minute of every day dictating the minutiae of his every action and inaction 24/7, because that’s what’s in store for him for the rest of his life under a highly progressive government.

Star Bird on January 19, 2015 at 12:13 PM

Yeah, I’m in my 20′s, in college, saddled with huge student loans. I know that even when i graduate, ill probably be unable to find a job that will let me pay them off in any reasonable timeframe. Im doing my best to get by, find my way in life.

TylerMichaels on January 18, 2015 at 6:53 PM

An honest question, Tyler: Do you believe conservatism is the driving force at American universities?

Brendon Carr on January 19, 2015 at 6:06 PM

Obama’s tax hike proposal is laughable, just like his foreign policy and nearly everything else he has done in the last six years in office. How in the hell did this man get elected to the presidency?

SC.Charlie on January 20, 2015 at 10:21 AM

redware on January 19, 2015 at 9:42 AM

Why not just point out that the feds are taking in record tax receipts, coupled with the fact that the GOP already caved to obamas eat the rich message at the end of 2012.

Also, point out that the day after the GOP caved and obama got his massive tax hike on the wealthy, he went right out and claimed the rich STILL weren’t paying their fair share.

Then point out that it will never be enough for leftists. 100% won’t even be enough.

runawayyyy on January 20, 2015 at 11:24 AM