The campus sexual assault narrative hits rock bottom

posted at 5:31 pm on January 17, 2015 by Jazz Shaw

The more time you spend claiming that American colleges are hotbeds of gang rapes and sexual assault, the more the colleges will go into reactive mode and begin layering on rule after rule to try to prove to the naysayers that they are doing everything possible to prevent such horrors. This leads to zero tolerance policies which actually set the bar so far below zero that the dragnet will begin dredging up far more than you’d care to see. Such was the case at Navarro College in Texas earlier this month when an autistic student was expelled for sexual assault after mistaking a female student for one of his friends and kissing her on the top of the head.

Ashe Schow at the Washington Examiner reports:

Brian Ferguson, a 20-year-old with autism attending special-needs classes at Navarro College in Texas, had been expelled for sexual assault. But what he did that constitutes sexual assault will leave you scratching your head.

Ferguson is 6’5” and gives hugs to his friends with a kiss on the top of their head since he towers over them. A week ago, that got him expelled. The problem arose when Ferguson thought he saw a woman he recognized and gave her one of his trademark greetings — except that the woman was a stranger.

“And then [the school] labeled it ‘sexual assault’ because of the kissing,” Ferguson’s mother, Staci Martin, told NBC. “They said a kiss is considered an assault.”

Ferguson has finally been reinstated at school, but how long will it take to make sure this is completely expunged from his record? And more to the point, how did this travesty manage to get this far out of control? I know what you’re thinking. What kind of a person would turn in an autistic guy over a hug and a kiss on the forehead over a case of mistaken identity and have them expelled? She must be really horrible. Nope… not the case at all.

The woman who received Ferguson’s hug, Taylor Bruton, said she thought the punishment was too severe. “I didn’t want him to get in trouble, special needs or not,” said Taylor Bruton. “I didn’t want anyone to get in trouble, not over a hug.”

She said the kiss was nothing more than a “peck” and that she tried to tell school administrators, who saw the hug, that it wasn’t a big deal. “They asked me about the incident,” Bruton told a Texas NBC affiliate. “I explained what happened and I told them, ‘It’s not a big deal. I don’t want anyone to get in trouble and I don’t feel the need to report this.’ And they asked me for a written statement, just in case.”

When she found out that Ferguson had been expelled over the incident, she thought it was “ridiculous.”

The girl had nothing to do with it. She objected to the case being taken up. This was a non-incident that could have taken place anywhere in the country on any given day and resulted in nothing more than a person being surprised (and perhaps startled) for a moment, followed by some embarrassed laughs and everyone going on their way.

We can say with some legitimacy that this is the college’s fault, but only to a certain extent. If they had some convictions regarding common sense and the courage to back them up they wouldn’t find themselves in the middle of this awkward media circus. But given how closely Uncle Sam is monitoring every campus on the nation for the slightest hint of evidence that young men at college are all as evil as Rolling Stone and the feminist movement make them out to be, combined with their reliance on funding from various sources, they are acting with a dangerous overabundance of caution. It doesn’t make it noble or right, but it’s a fiscal reality of running a college, I suppose.

No, in the end, the fault for what happened to Brian Ferguson falls squarely on the armies of activists who continue to perpetuate these stories and the all too willing media which has latched its collective teeth into the latest narrative journalism arc of the season. They have driven the nation’s colleges and universities to this state of affairs, and every frat house that’s shut down and every young man expelled is a victory in the war. If a few (or a lot) of the stories turn out to be fabrications or complete misunderstandings, well… when you’re making an omelet this size, you’ve got to break quite a few eggs.

Comments

Rock bottom? Don’t bet on it.

myiq2xu on January 17, 2015 at 5:42 PM

“They said a kiss is considered an assault.”

And, if there had been tongue there would have been an added Battery or Assault with a deadly weapon.

The girl had nothing to do with it.

I don’t understand how it ever got to the lefty administration douchebags interrogating the girl, then. Does every kiss in public result in the female being interviewed and coerced into filing a rape charge? Who is keeping tabs on the public kissing, some UN flunkee who was so disappointed that raping poor kids in aid areas was getting too tiring and retired to life in college administration as a peeping tom?

But, in the end, the only relevant question is why no one in the administration associated with having made these idiotic rules or enforcing them has not been fired and shamed out of ever appearing in public, again? We let these insane perverts go free time and again and then wonder why they keep doing what they’re doing … just as Barky gets away with every insane, twisted, anti-American thing he does and just skips away from to move onto his next assault on us.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 17, 2015 at 5:45 PM

I wonder if she had big bazoongas and Mr. Ferguson is playing us?
////

I know silly….silliness on more silliness from the leftards….

CW on January 17, 2015 at 5:49 PM

Actually, no.
See the story about a certain play that won’t be performed at Mount Holyoke College.

corona79 on January 17, 2015 at 5:53 PM

This is “progress”!!!

Welcome to your “Liberal” paradise comrades!!

KMC1 on January 17, 2015 at 5:53 PM

Rock bottom? Don’t bet on it.

myiq2xu on January 17, 2015 at 5:42 PM

Exactly.

Everytime a Leftist Big Lie is exposed, they simply double down …

ShainS on January 17, 2015 at 5:55 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 17, 2015 at 5:45 PM

This might answer your question.

She said the kiss was nothing more than a “peck” and that she tried to tell school administrators, who saw the hug, that it wasn’t a big deal.Bruton told a Texas NBC affiliate. “I explained what happened and I told them, ‘It’s not a big deal. I don’t want anyone to get in trouble and I don’t feel the need to report this.’ And they asked me for a written statement, just in case.”

Barred on January 17, 2015 at 5:57 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 17, 2015 at 5:45 PM

I suspect that’s one of the reasons The Left has been working overtime the past century trying to kill the idea of shame.

I personally have adopted the practice of non-cooperation with anything that diminishes human dignity (which, of course, includes all closet-fascist Lefties) …

ShainS on January 17, 2015 at 5:59 PM

The Department of Education has established what amounts to an arrest/expulsion quota for all the colleges and universities. DOE is convinced there’s a rape epidemic, and if any college doesn’t expel enough men it means they aren’t trying hard enough, and risk losing government money.

Steven Den Beste on January 17, 2015 at 6:01 PM

Think on this, and then think that some feminists – a minority, but a vocal one – argue that all PIV sex is rape and that women are never naturally heterosexual; we’ve been brainwashed by the patriarchy into liking heterosexual relations with our boyfriends or husbands.

Anyone else see this coming to the logical conclusion that goes something like this:

Feminist: You had sex with a man?
Woman: Yes.
Feminist: Well, that’s rape.
Woman: No, it’s not. I consented to it.
Feminist: You were brainwashed by the patriarchy. Arrest him for rape!

Which is why such actions — by schools, by feminists — must be crushed when they are attempted. There is no room for dialogue when you’re dealing with people who can’t apply common sense to a situation as clearly not sexual assault as this.

Today, it’s college campuses, tomorrow it’s your bedroom and your significant other.

englishqueen01 on January 17, 2015 at 6:02 PM

We need a male activist to have sex with a proponent of these ridiculous rules and then charge her with sexual assault. He can claim that she took advantage of the fact that he had been drinking and that she didn’t verbally confirm the fact that he was ok moving forward with having sex.

blink on January 17, 2015 at 5:46 PM

Are you asking for volunteers? Do you have pictures of these so-called proponents?

Since this seems like an undercover operation with a very good outcome (albeit highly risque), should married men worry about repercussions with their wives (or God?)

UnstChem on January 17, 2015 at 6:02 PM

This might answer your question.

Barred on January 17, 2015 at 5:57 PM

No, it doesn’t – which is why I asked the question. Why would a school administrator who “saw the hug” even bother to start interrogating the girl? Do they require permits for all hugs in public? I’m sure the idiots in the administration would like that but I doubt they have implemented it, yet. So, why does some public hug and kiss end up with the school nazis hauling the chick in for a Q+A? Or did the girl actually have “something” to do with it?

It’s impossible to tell from the story exceprt, here. That bit you pasted offers no answer.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 17, 2015 at 6:03 PM

These “administrators” need to be sued into financial ruin. Don’t let up until they’re picking through dumpsters for their daily bread.

CurtZHP on January 17, 2015 at 6:03 PM

Exactly.

Everytime a Leftist Big Lie is exposed, they simply double down …

ShainS on January 17, 2015 at 5:55 PM

Just when you think they couldn’t possibly get any more absurd, they go and prove you wrong.

myiq2xu on January 17, 2015 at 6:06 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 17, 2015 at 6:03 PM

I was only saying that is why they even knew about it. I’m not saying they should have even been questioning her.

Barred on January 17, 2015 at 6:06 PM

I’d love to know the names of the “school administrators, who saw the hug”, what departments they teach, and for that matter what they look like. Come on Navarro students, I’m sure you know.

diogenes on January 17, 2015 at 6:11 PM

Activists and media? Yes, but you’re missing a key element in ascribing blame accurately: federal policies and MONEY. It is the addiction to FEDERAL dollars that has pushed colleges to actually pay attention to this nonsense. As the feds gobble up more productive capital through taxes, they also gobble up power to dictate how the capital they have stolen can be reacquired.

Since there’s probably no turning back, the best solution would be to go to Hillsdale. :-)

xNavigator on January 17, 2015 at 6:11 PM

I’d like to add that it is also the mono-culture of the academy, which is almost exclusively progressive/liberal now, that can be blamed as well. They (liberal administrators and faculty) feed right into this because it advances their narrative and allows them to exercise greater control on campus.

xNavigator on January 17, 2015 at 6:13 PM

These admins are serious douchbags.

The fact that an Autistic (or Asperger’s) shows affection for another human being is an incredible feat.

Can anyone who identifies as liberal/progressive/statist/communist explain to me how they are for equality again?

Oh, that’s right. They believe everyone’s the same, then scream relativism. Was there ever a bunch with their heads so far up their asses?

UnstChem on January 17, 2015 at 6:15 PM

They want to make college unsafe for men.

forest on January 17, 2015 at 6:18 PM

What today’s teachers and professors are doing, is setting up an entire generation to be caught up in sexual dysfunction and scandal.

First, the smelly free-love contingency of academic staff spends the K-12 years teaching kids things like sexual consent to kindergartners and safe anal sex to fourth graders. So they spend 12 years breeding sexual dysfunction in children.

Then when those dysfunctionalized children leave K-12 and enter college, that same smelly free-love contingency of academic staff fundamentally transforms into communist neo-Victorians, and wants to subject them to barbaric inquisitions in the form of collegiate kangaroo courts with no actual evidence other than the accusation that they might have looked at some girl cross eyed.

So the same people that transform children into hyper-sexualized beings, are the very same people who then want to turn around and punish those students for the the very same behavior they taught to them, whether it be proven to be real or imagined.

Our educators are insane.

Star Bird on January 17, 2015 at 6:18 PM

Our educators are insane.

Star Bird on January 17, 2015 at 6:18 PM

I have noticed this dichotomy as well.
It is perverse.
It is not isolated to sexuality.
They do it to everything: religion, race relations, political principles — everything.
The only consistency is the drive to control.

AesopFan on January 17, 2015 at 6:28 PM

bigger question is why the admins decided there was a problem and even came to her with it.
as if they were specifically looking for a reason to punish him.

dmacleo on January 17, 2015 at 6:29 PM

We desperately need a “Zero Tolerance” policy in our schools! A zero tolerance of idiots who try to pass themselves off as “educators”!

GarandFan on January 17, 2015 at 6:30 PM

No, this is an ideological manhunt by college administrators. Universities are rolling in dough and aren’t afraid of Uncle Sam. Place blame where it belongs here: at the feet of those in charge of higher education.

Stoic Patriot on January 17, 2015 at 6:35 PM

Doesn’t there have to be a complaint filed by someone who believes they have been victimized for there to be a case of assault? The only assault was on the autistic student who was punished for something that wasn’t reported. A middle finger salute to the asinine inanity that passes for thinking on the progressive left.

Dan_NV on January 17, 2015 at 6:36 PM

Don’t believe it.

These idiots reach back, grab a shovel and dig themselves in even deeper.

Irrelevant that it is just the bottom of an outhouse…they just keep slinging it, taking themselves deeper and deeper.

ProfShadow on January 17, 2015 at 6:37 PM

I stand with the school on this one. What happens years down the road when this woman suddenly discovers she was a victim of sexual harassment? Not being able to identify one’s self as a victim is the hallmark of rabid stupid women who have been “raped” on college campuses. And since Brian’s last name is Ferguson, there must be some racism involved as well.

Seriously, this hysteria first and find the facts out later is getting out of hand. A woman who was apparently raped at UVA in 1984 stood by the Rolling Stone article until just recently. How many victims did this whore make with her own bias and hatred of men/frats/whatever?

Happy Nomad on January 17, 2015 at 6:38 PM

And BTW, the special needs aspect of this story is irrelevant. It should not matter that Brian Ferguson is autistic.

Happy Nomad on January 17, 2015 at 6:39 PM

so can I claim autism and grope women’s breasts and butts and say that I do that to my female friends?

nonpartisan on January 17, 2015 at 7:03 PM

nonpartisan on January 17, 2015 at 7:03 PM

you already get plenty of free passes from your retardation status, whats one more.

dmacleo on January 17, 2015 at 7:12 PM

nonpartisan on January 17, 2015 at 7:03 PM

At some point, one would think you’d actually run out of Straw Moron arguments … but you never fail to disappoint.

ShainS on January 17, 2015 at 7:20 PM

dmacleo on January 17, 2015 at 7:12 PM

frankly, that’s uncalled for…

nonpartisan on January 17, 2015 at 7:22 PM

If this is the new norm, then why wasn’t The One expelled from the country for kissing Putin’s ass without permiso?

vnvet on January 17, 2015 at 7:23 PM

nonpartisan on January 17, 2015 at 7:03 PM

Is that what the expelled student did?

frankly, that’s uncalled for…

nonpartisan on January 17, 2015 at 7:22 PM

Because he left out, “jack ass?”

arnold ziffel on January 17, 2015 at 7:45 PM

nonpartisan on January 17, 2015 at 7:03 PM

It’s doubtful that you’d be able to claim autism if that’s what you were taught to do in grade school.

Star Bird on January 17, 2015 at 7:46 PM

Still more action than that infamous night Jackie went to the frat house.

chris0christies0donut on January 17, 2015 at 7:48 PM

Because he left out, “jack ass?”

arnold ziffel on January 17, 2015 at 7:45 PM

well I do make mistakes, for efficiency you can assume there’s a racist jackass tag applied to every post I make to it.

dmacleo on January 17, 2015 at 7:51 PM

vnvet on January 17, 2015 at 7:23 PM

Obama claims his black heritage. In a world where black males are mostly sperm donors, they get off on the race card.

Happy Nomad on January 17, 2015 at 7:55 PM

frankly, that’s uncalled for…

nonpartisan on January 17, 2015 at 7:22 PM

Ah, troll got its little feelers hurt.

Dick Richard on January 17, 2015 at 7:59 PM

so can I claim autism and grope women’s breasts and butts and say that I do that to myself?

noforeskin on January 17, 2015 at 7:03 PM

…fify!…we already know what you do to yourself!

JugEarsButtHurt on January 17, 2015 at 8:11 PM

One thing you should always know about liberals. It’s you and THEM. THEY are important, you are not. Laws apply to you, not THEM. Thus if a sociology professor specializing in ‘group dynamics’ gets caught in bed having simultaneous sex with a with a beagle, a Shetland pony, a 12 year girl a 9 year old boy, and two transsexuals–he is not violating laws, he is “socially experimenting” for a white paper– whereas it is “attempted rape” if you hold hands with your sweetheart on a warm spring day.

Such hypocrites. Did you ever notice when you were in college how “evil” money is? But once you get out, the university wants your money in the tens of billions. They even have donor pecking orders—Platinum Circle, Gold Circle, Silver Circle and the Maidee Circle–that’s a hearty “best of luck with your fund raising” greeting.

MaiDee on January 17, 2015 at 8:47 PM

er… those eggs you’ve got to break… you mean huevos, right?

Because otherwise those armies of activists that lead off your paragraph– radical feminist activists– might accuse you of advocating violence against women. Even if Lenin said it first.

de rigueur on January 17, 2015 at 9:50 PM

Seems that the perfessers and “students” alike in America really have their priorities straight. Yes, we must have a never-ending dialogue concerning alcohol, drugs and sexuality on America’s college campuses.

Meanwhile, the Chinese and other foreign students are the ones picking up the engineering degrees and taking them home.

Glad we can focus on important social issues while other societies are clobbering us on the technological, industrial and economic fronts.

How about promoting the (rather insane) idea that our sons and daughters go to college in order to get an education and that they aren’t there to “party” and indulge in their sexual fantasies. They can do that with a “job” right out of high school much more inexpensively.

A good start to that would be to not to agree to finance them if they’re planning on majoring in basket-weaving.

Dr. ZhivBlago on January 17, 2015 at 10:48 PM

Next up they will form the junior anti-sex league.

AbeFroman on January 17, 2015 at 11:11 PM

Like all Marxists, the feministas regard harm caused innocent bystanders in pursuit of their goals of power and influence to be mere collateral damage. You may find one of them to say, “It is regrettable when an innocent is harmed, BUT” – but you won’t get any of them to say “I regret” because they just don’t.

It’s NOT just the feminists, though. The racial spoils crew, the environmentalists, the gay activists, and the rest operate the same way. Every day.

Because they’ve gotten away with it for decades. And as long as they can, they will keep at it.

Adjoran on January 17, 2015 at 11:35 PM

Peak absurdity has been reached

Oh, I’m afraid not. This is only the beginning.

DFCtomm on January 18, 2015 at 12:38 AM

The Left desires complete control.
By establishing a system and culture whereby every citizen is a criminal, they achieve that control.

justltl on January 18, 2015 at 9:02 AM

The system itself has become so distorted, that there is no longer any effective legal or political recourse.
We are seriously far down the road to serfdom.

Divide the country or fight.

justltl on January 18, 2015 at 9:07 AM

Look, Leftists have two characteristics: They are control freaks. They are sadistic.
The path that we are on is inevitably leading to a Leftist state that is far beyond dystopian. This is where we, our children and their children are being herded.

The Left is an absolute malignancy that truly needs to be destroyed by any and all means necessary.

justltl on January 18, 2015 at 9:19 AM

Our educators are far to busy handing out condoms to 11 year olds to bother with something like education.

Star Bird on January 18, 2015 at 9:47 AM

They hit rock bottom some time ago when they did the same thing to a five year old. He may have been six, I don’t remember, but he was popped for a kiss too.

Recon5 on January 18, 2015 at 10:17 AM

nonpartisan on January 17, 2015 at 7:03 PM

This is just funny on so many levels.

First, the idea that you HAVE any female friends, second that you could grope one without immediately ending up in the emergency room, and third, that you are not already well-known to be mentally deficient.

Oh, and to you, groping a breast is identical to a kiss on the top of the head.

I mean; bravo, sir.

Bravo.

Dolce Far Niente on January 18, 2015 at 10:25 AM

Steven Den Beste on January 17, 2015 at 6:01 PM

I agree except that I believe the administration/DOE knows there is no rape epidemic, but asserting there is gives them an excuse to push said ‘arrest/expulsion quotas’ and other actions.

Net-net, prosecuting young men over a fabricated meme allows the administration to assert more power and more control while useful idiots in the student-body, faculty and media beg for more.

This administration cares power and control. They do not care about any “rape epidemic”, real or not, beyond how it can be leveraged to assert more control.

DrDeano on January 18, 2015 at 12:38 PM

No, it’s the college’s fault. Activists are only successful when people listen to them, and academia in particular listens to these people. The grief industry will only be broken when people tell them to pound sand, but Academia will never do this because they often are the activists.

Daemonocracy on January 18, 2015 at 3:57 PM

so? just don’t do it. stop talking. don’t say yes, no, or boo.

STFU.

you are under no obligation to answer those questions nor sign anything.

WaldoTJ on January 19, 2015 at 2:24 PM