Bill Maher to Jimmy Kimmel: Hundreds of millions of Muslims support this Charlie Hebdo attack

posted at 2:41 pm on January 8, 2015 by Allahpundit

It’s not what he’s saying that’s novel — he’s made this point before, and seems to be making it more often lately — but the forum in which he’s saying it. I wonder if there was anyone else featured across the four broadcast networks’ news/current events programming yesterday to raise the point that the “tiny minority of extremists” isn’t so tiny when you consider the raw numbers. Kimmel is uncomfortable from the start, partly because Maher went out there with a point to make rather than engage in the usual dreary late-night banter and partly because he’s violating a liberal taboo in noting that jihadi fanatics are sustained by a larger, decidedly illiberal culture. Criticizing the tiny minority on TV is okay provided that you emphasize their tiny-minority-ness. When, however, you try to connect up the actions of the worst offenders to the cultural fishbowl they swim in — a practice the left not only engages in but insists upon in every other context except Islamic fanaticism — then you’re over the line. Watch Kimmel scramble for a commercial break as Maher tries to get going on that point. Listen to how silent the audience is throughout, as if they dare not disrespect their host, ABC, by encouraging him. No wonder Maher had to move his own show from broadcast TV to pay cable.

As for his numbers, I can’t find a poll of Muslim opinion that asks directly whether satirists who insult Mohammed deserve death. I can find other polls endorsing draconian penalties for offenses against the faith, though, starting with this one from Pew last year.

shar

That’s not a poll of the total population in each country, merely a poll of those Muslims who believe that sharia should be the law of the land. But that number is itself sizable: Of the 38 countries with large Muslim populations that Pew surveyed, a majority endorsed sharia rule in 25 of them. In 18 of those countries, the majority supporting sharia was 65 percent or more. Clearly you’re talking about many millions of people across many different nations that support capital punishment for apostasy. What sort of bold leap is it to think that there’s widespread, if not majority, support too for the idea that a bunch of infidels who serially mocked Mohammed might have gotten what was coming to them?

Exit question: If the media believes the conventional wisdom it pushes that it’s only a “tiny minority” they need worry about, why are they so afraid to take a risk by publishing cartoons of Mohammed? Strictly speaking, there are a tiny minority of extremists within Christianity, Judaism, and every other faith as well. Take a big enough population and, to a statistical certainty, you’ll stumble across people who are more open to violence when their sacred cows are slaughtered. Yet only one group’s tiny minority so worries the media that they’ll black out key parts of a major international news story to avoid offending it. That is to say, not through its words but through its actions, the media routinely shows that it kinda sorta agrees with Maher about the comparative magnitude of risk. They’re just not as honest about it as he is.

Comments

Schadenfreude!

(Sorry, I had to get in on the act. )

V7_Sport on January 9, 2015 at 1:38 AM

APACHEWHOKNOWS has a perfect nom, but in this thread is it shone.

Schadenfreude on January 9, 2015 at 2:10 AM

Thank you kindly, V7. Always appreciate encouragement from those I respect.

Freelancer on January 9, 2015 at 3:03 AM

Bigbullets,

Let me start by saying that we have no quarrel. I understand and accept the point you are making. You are not excusing murderers.

At the same time, no matter how you go about it, the point you are making can be heard as, “They asked for it”. I know you don’t believe that, yet that is an analysis which will always flow from any commentary about the magazine’s lack of wisdom in choosing to print the comics.

The point which must be made, the line in the sand which must be defended AT ALL COSTS, is that one person may not be permitted to kill another because they are offended. Insult is not a capital crime under Natural Law, and anyone who presumes that it is, stands as an enemy of civilization, and in behalf of a belief which is the exact opposite of religious.

Barbarism must always be opposed with greater force than it brings to bear, or it will always advance, destroying society underfoot. Hiding from it will not stop it. Being politically correct on its terms will not appease it. Seeking to assuage its gluttony for blood will not deter it.

It must be destroyed, root and branch.

Freelancer on January 9, 2015 at 3:27 AM

Bigbullets,

Can you or anyone else can tell me that the cartoons had nothing to do with their deaths and that what happened was simply a random act of violence?

Why were they targeted? If they were targeted because of the cartoons, which they were, then it’s not inaccurate or cruel to point that out.

It must be destroyed, root and branch.

Freelancer on January 9, 2015 at 3:27 AM

No one is advocating that we hide from it.

You can ‘not hide’ without intentionally trying to provoke them to kill you just for the fun of it.

Bigbullets on January 9, 2015 at 3:58 AM

There is no way you were ever a Marine. Not possible.

No marine would ever equate Marine training with muslim indoctrination.

Bigbullets on January 8, 2015 at 10:55 PM

Big Bullets,

You don’t have the slightest idea what Marines are capable of thinking. They’re a big, diverse group. Close to 200,000 Marines were i the service when I served, and there are literally millions of Marines alive today.

One of the most famous Marines of all, two-time Medal of Honor winner Smedley Butler, wrote a book called War is a Racket.

Butler is famous for saying lines like this: “My mental faculties remained in suspended animation while I obeyed the orders of the higher-ups. This is typical with everyone in the military.”

Also: “War is just a racket. A racket is best described, I believe, as something that is not what it seems to the majority of people. Only a small inside group knows what it is about. It is conducted for the benefit of the very few at the expense of the masses.”

Also: “I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested. Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents.”

How could Butler, a highly-decorated Marine, say these things? Because he had his own opinion based on his own experience. Something that apparently many of you – but especially you Big Bullets – have a hard time believing a Marine is capable of doing. Ironically, you make this argument at the same time you claim that Marines aren’t indoctrinated.

Pincher Martin on January 9, 2015 at 6:13 AM

There is no way you were ever a Marine. Not possible.

No marine would ever equate Marine training with muslim indoctrination.

Bigbullets on January 8, 2015 at 10:55 PM

Big Bullets,

You don’t have the slightest idea what Marines are capable of thinking. They’re a big, diverse group. Close to 200,000 Marines were in the service when I served, and there are literally millions of Marines alive today.

How could Butler, a Marine, say these things? Because he had his own opinion based on his own experience. Something that apparently many of you – but especially you Big Bullets, who couldn’t find your own ass with your two hands – have a hard time believing a Marine is capable of doing. Ironically, you make this argument at the same time you claim that Marines aren’t indoctrinated.

Pincher Martin on January 9, 2015 at 6:16 AM

This scum stays holed up in his expensive estate spewing vile garbage while the country he hates continues to protect him. Absolute putrid trash.

rplat on January 9, 2015 at 6:30 AM

Freelancer on January 8, 2015 at 10:49 PM

You shouldn’t have wasted so much of your life typing out so many words to convey so little sense. You have the typical mindset of the military lifer, which is to say you have felt it best to rid yourself of any thoughts a dim man is incapable of having. That’s a useful feature for a military lifer, but not a very useful feature for a thinking person.

I was NOT making a moral comparison between what Marines do and what Muslim extremists do. I was comparing how various people conquer fear. And since every sentient being is capable of fear, the comparison is valid, as would be a comparison between how men conquer fear and how animals conquer fear.

It is not normal behavior to charge up a hill or to blow oneself up in a suicide attack or to dive off a ship in the middle of an ocean to rescue someone if you can’t swim. Yet a handful of people do those things. Why?

Someone who kills innocents is a coward, no matter what method they use, no matter if they die in the act. Someone who will target non-enemies rather than risk a real fight is a coward.

I wasn’t talking about people who necessarily kill, but people who knowingly risk certain death. That’s not normal behavior. Sane people don’t wake up and take those kinds of risks. Young men are certainly risk takers, but only up to a certain point they think they can get away with.

Pincher Martin on January 9, 2015 at 6:31 AM

By the way, this is just retarded:

I’m not quite as chronologically experienced as you, just a pup in comparison (54), but I also pedal a couple of centuries each year, including the Sol Vang and Bike MS trips. Always love watching the 30-somethings straggle in an hour behind me. The knucklehead doesn’t get the difference between being old and acting aged. The guy I know least likely to lose a fight, just turned 70.

Freelancer on January 8, 2015 at 10:49 PM

The guy you know who is least likely to lose a fight just turned 70? Do you actually know anyone outside of a retirement home?

Apparently some of you guys think that battling your prostrate troubles on a daily basis keeps you full of vim and vigor. Well, good luck with that kind of delusional thinking next time you’re in a real battle.

Pincher Martin on January 9, 2015 at 6:42 AM

You’d think, after all the repetition, you’d have better understood my position.

I understand your position perfectly. You are the one failing to understand the consequence of your position: That you are dhimmified.

There are people over in muslimland preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ right now. They are risking their life for a noble goal. And those who die in that endeavor die a noble death.

Yet there are millions upon millions upon endless millions in the West who disagree with your characterization of their goal being “noble,” and who consider Charlie’s direct and stated defense of freedom of speech to be the noble act. Dying for a religion is just “stupid” to them.

You and others want to equate these guys who died in a childish and juvenile endeavor with those who die for a noble cause and in a noble endeavor. I refuse to equate the two.

Bigbullets on January 8, 2015 at 11:38 PM

Yes, and I understand that. You do not consider defense of the freedom of speech “noble.” You could not be more clear. Saying the defense would be noble if they were defending speech you approve is the same as saying you do not defend the freedom of speech.

To truly be in favor of the freedom of speech you have to regard as noble all defense of the freedom of speech, even when you disapprove of the speech being defended.

This is absolutely core to the freedom. You can despise the particular speech they defended, but you must honor their defense of it as noble, something you are going out of your way to denigrate.

As I said:

You have made your opinion quite clear in the aftermath of the mass murder at Charlie Hebdo. You have repeated that opinion over and over and over and over.

We get it.

You are a classic dhimmi. The shame of that will be with you for the rest of your life.

fadetogray on January 8, 2015 at 11:26 PM

fadetogray on January 9, 2015 at 7:28 AM

“We have been the cowards. Lobbing cruise missiles from two thousand miles away. That’s cowardly. Staying in the airplane when it hits the building. Say what you want about it. Not cowardly.”

cbenoistd on January 8, 2015 at 2:47 PM

It might not be in the way he meant it to but a degree he was right here.

They weren’t cowardly. They were and are evil. Unvarnished, unalloyed evil.

And to a degree the response, especially now, is cowardly. The initial response wasn’t. But it wasn’t maintained. The response to these animals needs to be that the gates of hell open wide and rain down the entire military potential of a wealthy first world nation upon their sorry medieval heads until there is no fight left in them. Until they realize that the “mandate of heaven” is not on their side there needed to be hell on earth for the savages, until the majority of the population that is supporting such savagery realizes that there is no future in it.

The response that does that, to paraphrase ‘W’, is not going to be lobbing a 2 million dollar missile at a ten dollar tent to hit a camel in the butt.

It has been a form of political cowardice – not of soldiers but of politicians – that has prevented us from undertaking the real needed response.

Arssanguinus on January 9, 2015 at 7:31 AM

Love this guy and am praying for him

Darvin Dowdy on January 9, 2015 at 8:08 AM

Big Bullets,

Pincher Martin on January 9, 2015 at 6:16 AM

No present or former Marine on this site supports you. I’m not sure any of them even think you ever were a Marine.

But please continue to pretend that people care what you think.

Bigbullets on January 9, 2015 at 9:19 AM

I think you just like using the word.

That’s absurd.

I never said anything about ‘defense of the freedom of speech’. But please continue to pretend that I did.

As I said:

We get it.

fadetogray on January 8, 2015 at 11:26 PM
fadetogray on January 9, 2015 at 7:28 AM

How about this, since you aren’t going to respond to what I post. Why don’t you post what you want me to say, and respond to that.

Bigbullets on January 9, 2015 at 9:24 AM

How about this, since you aren’t going to respond to what I post.

Bigbullets on January 9, 2015 at 9:24 AM

I responded to what you posted. You know it. In addition to being a dhimmi, you are also a liar (as anyone who has followed the thread knows), but then that goes naturally with being a dhimmi.

Wrap it up, bb. Explain to us one more time how the free speech martyrs at Charlie were stupid.

fadetogray on January 9, 2015 at 9:42 AM

Big bullets but little nuts,

But please continue to pretend that people care what you think.

Bigbullets on January 9, 2015 at 9:19 AM

I don’t care if they do or not. You see, unlike you, I don’t have to join a crowd to feel comfortable before I venture an opinion. Unlike you, I’m perfectly capable of thinking for myself.

And any real Marine will know if I was a Marine by just asking a few simple questions about where I served, what my series and platoon numbers were in boot camp, what my MOS was, where I trained for my MOS, my rifle score, what “knowledge” is, where I was at in the Gulf, what day is the Marine Corps birthday, what’s an ASVAB score, etc.

When Nico found out I was a recruit at MCRD San Diego, for example, he immediately made reference to me being a “Hollywood” Marine. He knows what that joke means and I know what that joke means. You, on the other hand, most likely don’t.

Pincher Martin on January 9, 2015 at 11:03 AM

How fitting that Big Bullets But Little Nuts is against supporting free speech. I’ve seen how he has big problems with people expressing strong opinions.

Pincher Martin on January 9, 2015 at 11:14 AM

Kill Them Too!

Another Drew on January 9, 2015 at 11:30 AM

Defy the terrorists? Seriously?

They have no authority over you or me, so you can’t defy them.

Bigbullets on January 8, 2015 at 6:54 PM

Right, they can just demand you not offend them, the same demand you seem willing to make and concede.

So lets silence those who might offend them, and attack them for their offense, so we can concede their wishes… while claiming we can’t do such a thing.

Feel free to post videos showing you burning the Koran to show how ‘brave’ you are.

But what good would that do? You just said we “can’t defy them” so burning a Koran clearly isn’t defying them…

Or is it true even YOU know what you said was wrong, stupid, and foolish?

gekkobear on January 9, 2015 at 12:33 PM

Thanks to all the leftwing liberal colleges thats been teaching our young thats its cool to burn flags, disparage america, hate free markets, embrace socialism and feel entitled that makes them vulnerable to the point some are embracing terrorism. Consider how the liberal leftwing openly blames americas tactics/motives/military/politics as being the cause of everything wrong in the world. Listen to how lamestream media mocks christiantity while crying foul if anyone looks at a muslim! Nobody has to wonder why americas young couch potatoes, flag burners, rioters/looters are swayed towards islam when americas media has convinced them they should be ashamed to be american. Otherwise why did/does obama go on his apology tour? Whats the point of capturing terrorists when Obama wants to close gitmo and is doing it by just letting them go?

soapyjeans on January 9, 2015 at 1:33 PM

Bigbullets on January 9, 2015 at 3:58 AM

They were targeted because nobody else in all of media (with the exception of a stout Canadian paper) had the nuts to stand up. They were targeted because all of the rest of media chose the dhimmi route and ceded their freedom of speech. They were targeted because they refused to accept that a comedic parody constitutes an insult equivalent to a declaration of war. This is a position all of media ought to take, and shame on all the rest of them for leaving one small periodical to twist in the wind.

That is all.

Freelancer on January 9, 2015 at 2:45 PM

Not interested in compliling a comprehensive set of links, just a single sample. More than one person can Google. Even if I didn’t already know all of the things you mentioned (and I did, because I trained “green” techs as well as “blue”), I could find them in a few short minutes. As I said before, I make no presumption that you weren’t a Marine. However, your declarations of the above are not proof. Perhaps an image of your DD214 and your last fitrep would do, but even you wouldn’t be ignorant enough to make such a thing public. So, it remains he-said/she-said.

Meanwhile, you continue to disbelieve and denigrate statements of value by others whom you cannot understand. Just so we’re clear, the 70-year-old to whom I referred previously is an MMA instructor who is as active as anyone I know. Being 70 doesn’t automatically mean being geriatric. He is strong, fast, devious, and more competent in a grapple than anyone I’ve ever known. As for myself, I compete in many sports to this day with folks half my age and younger, and more than hold my own. That you can’t conceive of that doesn’t matter in the least to me, you’ve already more than proven both your narcissism and your ignorance. But it is simply the truth.

Based on a large sample of past comments by APACHEWHOKNOWS, I have great confidence that he doesn’t need to spin fables about himself. The credence of his commentary and worldview speak for themselves, and permit me to simply accept his word on those things about himself of which I am otherwise entirely ignorant. He has more than earned that.

You have earned only pity.

Freelancer on January 9, 2015 at 3:11 PM

Pincher Martin on January 9, 2015 at 11:03 AM

My God, this is still going on today? For what it’s worth, and whether anyone cares, PM has displayed enough nuance in his knowledge that I’m quite sure he’s a former Marine.

The problem may be that what PM calls “strong opinions” often come across as snarky condescension. Now, I’m guessing he doesn’t give a crap about that, but nevertheless, that’s how I took it and, apparently, so did others. But, since when is that new at HA?

I’ve got no problem with PM’s opinion. I don’t necessarily agree with it, but have no problem with it. I suspect since over a decade in service separate us, there may be some differences in our personal experiences.

The Corps changes. For instance, I cannot believe what passes for boot camp today. I have the honor of being involved with the retraining of returning Afghanistan vets for a civilian career. So, I get to hear a lot of contemporary scuttlebutt. And rub elbows with some bonafide, and often egregiously wounded, heroes.

I was in the Marine Corps between 1980 and 1984. Had a little “vacation” on Grenada, but otherwise can’t hold a candle to the overseas war-time service PM purportedly gave.

Semper Fi.

PS: If any one wants to know what Marine Corps boot camp was like 30+ years ago, watch Full Metal Jacket. They nailed it.

nico on January 9, 2015 at 3:22 PM

OK, if we’re not going to enforce the “Maher ban,” can we at least agree that NO talk show host should be used as a “source” for news or serious discussion?

What next? Getting news from old comic books? Using Rosanne and Whoopie Goldberg as pundits?

Let’s establish some limits, folks!!!

landlines on January 9, 2015 at 6:22 PM

In answer to the question in the post, and if we’re starting a count: I’m a muslim who thinks satire requires no action, violent or otherwise. Here’s another guy who may have believed the same thing:

RIP to the victims of these assholes and prayers of solace for their families.

adnan on January 8, 2015 at 7:28 PM

I ask this seriously, because I do not understand how a Muslim can ignore the teachings of the Koran and still be considered a “good” Muslim: are you practising taqiyya?

Fighting is ordained for you, though you dislike it. You may dislike something although it is good for you, or like something although it is bad for you: God knows and you do not. -Sura 2:216

Fight those of the People of the Book who do not [truly] believe in God and the Last Day, who do not forbid what God and His Messenger have forbidden, who do not obey the rule of justice, until they pay the tax and agree to submit. -Sura 9:29

Those who insult God and His Messenger will be rejected by God in this world and the next – He has prepared a humiliating torment for them. -Sura 33:57

How do you reconcile yourself with these passages? How are they compatible in your mind with Western civilization?

Anti-ControI on January 10, 2015 at 4:02 AM

RIP to the victims of these @ssholes and prayers of solace for their families.

adnan on January 8, 2015 at 7:28 PM

I ask this seriously, because I do not understand how a Muslim can ignore the teachings of the Koran and still be considered a “good” Muslim: are you practicing taqiyya?

Anti-ControI on January 10, 2015 at 4:04 AM

Freelancer on January 9, 2015 at 3:11 PM

I don’t need you to believe me about my background. If you can’t tell from my stray comments that I was previously in the Marines, then that highlights your own lack of judgment more than it does anything about my history.

What your link fails to provide is any guide to what’s important and what’s not. Some of that knowledge falls away and some doesn’t. I’d completely forgotten the meaning of the blood stripe, for example.

But a Marine will immediately know what was stressed during his training and his enlistment. He can also provide context to that knowledge that no one outside of the military will ever understand by listening to what others have said about it or reading what others have written about it.

I’m stunned you don’t understand that. But, hey, not everyone who went into the military has good judgment.

He’s either lying to you or you’re lying about him.

MMA wasn’t introduced to the United States until the early nineties, when the Gracies created the UFC promotion to highlight the superiority of their Brazilian jiu-jitsu (BJJ) over other martial arts. Martial arts practitioners were challenged by the Gracies: Come test the quality of your martial art against our BJJ and we’ll show everyone which is more effective.

So your 70-year-old MMA instructor would’ve been in his mid-forties by the time anyone in the U.S. even understood what the term MMA meant. What’s more, MMA would evolve a great deal over the next decade.

Before the nineties, Americans interested in martial arts usually studied taekwondo, karate, kung fu, judo, boxing, etc. – or they wrestled. They rarely cross-trained. And even when they did occasionally cross-train there wasn’t any guide to help them understand how effective their cross-training was. The MMA contests in the nineties changed that. Suddenly young martial artists knew that cross training in taekwondo and kung fu, for example, wasn’t going to get you very far.

There were a few American catch wrestlers before the Gracies, and catch wrestling was one of the precursors to MMA, but even catch wresting rarely allowed blows before the 90s. In any case, it wasn’t that popular as a martial art.

Keep in mind that you called this 70-year-old man the” least likely man you knew to lose a fight,” which is just ludicrous. If he really knows anything about MMA, then he’s smart enough to know he’s not deserving of the honor you’ve given him. Any kid his size with a couple of years training seriously in wrestling and submissions will beat the pulp out of him.

Pincher Martin on January 10, 2015 at 2:39 PM

nico on January 9, 2015 at 3:22 PM

There was nothing special about my service.

I enlisted just a few years after you left the Corps. My enlistment ran from 1987 to 1991, the final year of which just happened to coincide with Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm. Two months after I left the Gulf, my four year enlistment was up and I was out of the military.

I was in Saudi Arabia from September 1990 to March 1991. My radar unit MACS-2 (called “MACS-Deuce”) deployed out of Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii. The only distinction it had was that it was supposedly the northernmost land-based radar unit in Saudi Arabia. We were close enough to the Kuwaiti border that when hostilities broke out we were in danger of being hit with Iraqi artillery. Thank God the hapless, can’t-shoot-straight Iraqi Army was our foe or we might have been in real trouble.

Despite being in the war, I feel strange about it. How much of a war can I have been in when not a single person in my unit was killed or even seriously injured? The only casualty I was aware of was some guy who was running to his foxhole with his gas mask on during an artillery attack slipped and fell on a tent spike. That was it.

So like I said, there was nothing special about my service. I served in a very modest capacity, just like most other men I knew served.

Pincher Martin on January 10, 2015 at 3:05 PM

It’s true:
Not all Muslims are Terrorist’s…
But all Terrorist’s are Muslim.

Snowshooze on January 10, 2015 at 4:13 PM

The world is truly a GIGANTIC cesspool of ignorance & bigotry regarding religion; one wonders whether it’s more so regarding the vileness of the Muslim depravity or the true Christian faith of so many of America’s Founders, both utterly disregarded, including by most alleged “conservatives.”

One of the most interesting components of Islam most conveniently ignore is taqiya, for by this one is justified in committing vile atrocities so long as it advances Islam and its demands for either complete subjugation or death.

Like evil, vile Islam, evil, vile “leftism” & its media
(& too often most alleged “conservatives,” e.g. the “fiscal” vs “social” proabort/prosodomy “conservative”)
HATE God & His gracious righteousness in Jesus’s Cross
(which both Islam & “leftism” deny & reject in good ol’ antiChrist fashion),
esposing their vileness/wickedness,
Jesus being He on Whom America’s vastly more educated and wiser Founders founded everything, unlike today’s fools & useul idiots like those forbears that happily jumped on board the nazi & soviet trains to disaster.
Soli Deo gloria!