Unarmed French police literally retreated in the face of Islamist attackers

posted at 1:21 pm on January 7, 2015 by Noah Rothman

The two French police officers, who both lost their lives in the effort to prevent the Charlie Hebdo attackers from executing their grim mission, are heroes. Their sacrifice in defense of their fellow citizens is beyond noble, and their bravery will be remembered in the coming days.

It is not a knock on Parisian police but French domestic policy to note and criticize the fact that the first responders who arrived at the scene on bicycles and without defensive weaponry were entirely unprepared to face an ongoing attack by murderous, AK-47-wieldling Islamist gunmen. The first police to arrive at the scene of the attack were forced to withdraw in the face of superior firepower.

The Guardian reported.

“We heard shouting in the street,” Benoît Bringer, who works at a press agency on the same floor as the magazine’s offices, told France Info radio. “We saw hooded men carrying Kalashnikovs entering the building. We called the police. After a few minutes we heard heavy firing – a lot of firing, a hell of a lot. We went upstairs to take shelter on the roof. Then after about 10 minutes we saw two armed men come out on to the street. There was more shouting, more firing.

“Three policemen had arrived on bikes but had to leave because the men were armed, obviously … Then the attackers took off in a car.”

Another, unnamed witness from an office across the corridor said she and her colleagues had heard “a huge boom”. “Then someone opened the door to our office and asked where Charlie Hebdo was. He had a rifle. We backed away. Afterwards he left, we heard gunfire. We went to the windows, there were two men running with guns, speaking in bad French … They were shouting outside, and shooting again. Afterwards I saw someone leaving the building with his hands covered in blood.” [Emphasis added]

It is speculative at this stage, but it is also relatively safe to assume that if those officers had been armed they would have had an opportunity to disable the attackers before they fled. As a result of the lack of preparedness on the part of the Parisian police, the three gunmen who killed 12 and wounded 11 more remain at large. Perhaps this atrocity will result in a review of Paris’s counter-terror planning ahead of the next terrorist incident. It is surely coming.

As an aside, the final paragraph of that block quote is interesting. All morning, cable news analysts in the United States have been assuring their audiences that the audio of the attackers indicates that the terrorists were locals. They spoke perfect French, the analysts asserted, and their accents did not indicate any foreign origin.

But the local Parisians who recalled hearing the attackers speak “bad French” suggests otherwise. Now, comments like these could be simple chauvinism. The majority Muslim areas of Paris are often sequestered from the rest of French society and might have developed their own French dialects (at least to the ear of the native Parisian). But this observation from a witness to this attack at least raises an element of doubt as to just how homegrown it truly was.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I will be back here commenting tomorrow and looking forward to sharing some more of my impression of the state…

coolrepublica on January 8, 2015 at 4:34 AM

So these “babies” you produced are your impression of the state based on your time spent there?

Tell me: precisely how many KKK branches did you encounter in order to form the provided impressions, and how did you come across them?

The Schaef on January 8, 2015 at 9:53 AM

I drove through the state. I stopped here and there for food, gas and to go pee. That is it! I went to no Starbucks and saw none. But I am sure they have lots of them now. But blink is stuck on my personal experience for the brief moment I was there, so I figured if he wants to bring it up, might as well make it not boring for me.

coolrepublica on January 8, 2015 at 10:35 AM

So its another mass shooting in a GUN FREE ZONE,
honest citizens unarmed
police unarmed

RADICAL MUSLIMS ARMED WITH FULLY AUTOMATIC AK-47’S shoot everyone in sight.

so CRIMINAL RADICAL MUSLIMS MANAGED TO GET MACHINE GUNS.
Did anyone tell them they were breaking the French Gun Laws.

Bet the liberals are upset they cant blame this on the NRA . .
like they do all shootings

say, why is it whenever a shooting in America the liberals blame all members of the NRA.

but when RADICAL MUSLIMS kill , the liberals say OH, its just an isolated incident, thats not all muslims..

Seems libs change the rules to suit thier political view of the day.

sniffles1999 on January 8, 2015 at 10:35 AM

I drove through the state.

Given that you don’t know what states border Alabama, I doubt it.

I stopped here and there for food, gas and to go pee. That is it !

IOW, your entire story about your horrible experience in the state you didn’t drive through is a load of bull (otherwise known as par for the course for you).

F X Muldoon on January 8, 2015 at 10:39 AM

F X Muldoon on January 8, 2015 at 10:39 AM

Pardon my French but who the F are you?:-) another Alabama resident right?

coolrepublica on January 8, 2015 at 11:14 AM

I see. So your “impressions” memes are just things you made up and have absolutely no correlation to your actual experience.

The Schaef on January 8, 2015 at 11:20 AM

Pardon my French but who the F are you?

Someone who marvels at your need to tell tall tales.

And then I made a few stops in Alabama. Every stop I made, I was reminded of how black I was. Alabama Was the university I never thought I would go to, and I went through that course in 1 day. I have never been stared at so much in my life. My husband is white so maybe it was him being with me. people were literally standing around our car staring at us.

Unlike you, I have actually been to, and have spent a fair amount of time in Alabama, including the time you lie about having been there. Your crap above isn’t even good fiction, about 27% of the population is black, interracial relationships are common even in the tiny town I was staying in which, BTW, had more black cops than white (another not uncommon occurrence).

I know you are trying to be a fashionable “progressive” with your tale of oppression and woe in the South, but having also spent some time in the uncivilized states of the northeast, I also know that your fable would more likely have happened in south Boston.

Share with us, if you are capable of truth, why you feel the need to be a serial fabulist.

F X Muldoon on January 8, 2015 at 11:30 AM

Please confirm that you now realize that Alabama doesn’t border Lousisiana.

It doesn’t matter if coolrepubica does, as a true “progressive” it still wants to claim “victim” status for something that never happened.

F X Muldoon on January 8, 2015 at 12:03 PM