The time is past for Bill de Blasio to resign

posted at 9:31 am on December 21, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

I’m not going to beat around the bush here. It is time for New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio to resign. Yesterday’s assassination of two of New York City’s finest was only the latest and most devastating brush stroke on a canvas which has been coming into focus for months. When you are the mayor of a city you have many responsibilities, but one of the most vital (in terms of maintaining a functional societal structure) is the mandate to enforce the laws and maintain social order. It is the same for mayors everywhere, as well as governors and presidents. But currently, the state of relations between City Hall and the New York Police Department has devolved to the point of complete dysfunction, and criminals are well aware of this state of affairs. The fault for the creation of this toxic atmosphere is essentially found solely at the feet of Mayor de Blasio.

Former Governor George Pataki summed up the situation correctly:

So caustic is the current state of relations between the Mayor’s office and the police that a shocking and dismaying scene took place in the wake of the horrific assassinations. When de Blasio arrived at the hospital yesterday, the uniformed officers literally turned their backs to him as he walked by. And this was at a moment when, in more normal times, they should have been rallying to the leadership of the executive.

The Mayor can not pretend that he has failed to see what was going on in the streets leading up to this horror. While he has been cloistered with those fomenting violence and rebellion against law enforcement, we know that he has been made aware of this video. In it, he has seen his own citizens marching in the hundreds and chanting, What do we want? Dead cops! When do we want it? Now!”

The Mayor must surely be aware that this is not constitutionally protected free speech any more than shouting “Fire!” in a crowded movie theater. That is incitement to riot and mayhem. When chants like that are erupting in the streets, you do not tell your cops to put on body cameras. You tell them to put on body armor. You do not hear those calls to tear down the fabric of civilization and tell your cops to get out of the way. You tell them to get out the water cannons. You do not hold secret meetings with the protest leaders to tell them how sorry you are that your police officers are so awful. You hold public meetings with your police officers and tell them that the executive branch of the city government has their backs and that they have the full support and resources of the city in doing the dangerous and necessary work they do every day. You do not remind those calling for the murder of police officers that you feel their pain. You reassure every citizen that they will be protected and that they not only live in a nation of laws, but a city of laws as well, and that those laws will be enforced regardless of whatever social unrest is taking place. And if that means that the laws are enforced at the end of the baton, the riot shield, the tear gas canister or even the gun, so be it.

In short, you stand up for the men and women who enforce order and keep intact the thin veneer of civilization. You remind the public that without proper order and respect for the rule of law, our civil society degenerates into chaos and no citizen will have any measure of protection from those who would set themselves up as criminal lords, ruling over the weak and the innocent by means of terror and murder.

The Mayor has utterly failed in this duty. As a result, law enforcement has lost faith and trust in City Hall and the system has veered dangerously toward the type of dysfunction which opens the door to anarchy. We saw that anarchy yesterday on a street corner in Brooklyn, and Officers Ramos and Liu paid for it with their lives. It is difficult to see how any amount of apologies, platitudes or carefully crafted speeches will heal this rift. The Mayor should step down and let someone else shoulder this responsibility.

Comments

Is Chudi really some bored white kid on riddelin?

IXXINY on December 21, 2014 at 3:38 PM

NSA found Chudi

Get that boy some pajamas!

Key West Reader on December 21, 2014 at 3:40 PM

He knows that I think he’s a race monger, and that his posts have turned HotAir into a place that is intolerant to black conservatives. I have been very clear about that. If he feels he needs to ban me because of that, he should go ahead…

Chudi on December 21, 2014 at 3:16 PM

I DOUBT YOU ARE EITHER BLACK…OR CONSERVATIVE…YOU’RE JUST A RACE-BAITER..AND A PRETTY LOUSY ONE AT THAT…
CONGRATS..!!

Pelosi Schmelosi on December 21, 2014 at 3:40 PM

The only thing conservative about chudi is his taste in footwear

elvis lives on December 21, 2014 at 3:43 PM

This APP needs to disabled or all cops are sitting ducks

App probably created by Holder

Key West Reader on December 21, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Poor Chudi and friends, they don’t even realise that their ‘Movement’ is O.V.E.R.

Even Not-So-Sharpton knows.

Resist We Much on December 21, 2014 at 3:49 PM

The only thing conservative about chudi is his taste in footwear

elvis lives on December 21, 2014 at 3:43 PM

I think you meant that other ‘c’ word: Comfortable.

Resist We Much on December 21, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Chudi on December 21, 2014 at 2:58 PM

What a whiney little gash.

BallisticBob on December 21, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Read my mind.

itsspideyman on December 21, 2014 at 3:55 PM

DeBlasio is another left wing crank, not unlike the one who is in the White House. Even so, the chances of this pol resigning are slim and none.

grumpyank on December 21, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Chudi on December 21, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Dear Chudi,
Given the date and the fact that I am filled with the holiday spirit, consider this my gift to you in the form of the attention you so clearly crave.

Whatever I Ching readings or hariolation you may have engaged in to arrive at your diagnosis of my inner workings are between you and whichever medical professionals you choose to consult. As the one who lives inside my skin, I know my own thoughts and am not particularly bothered by your admittedly fascinating theories. But for the record, I am about as far from being a racist as you’re likely to encounter, and have in fact been accused of being a racial apologist in other turns of the news cycle.

If my position of granting the benefit of the doubt to law enforcement officers – of whom I know many and am related to in more than a few cases – until sufficient facts are presented to prove otherwise is somehow offensive to you, I would suggest turning the mirror around for a moment. If you choose to take that position as some indication that the people most likely to come into conflict with the police are likely to be persons of color, perhaps you need to deal with whatever vestigial racism is hiding in your own closet.

As regular readers know, I spend a fair amount of time in Tennessee on unrelated assignments and have come to know both the citizens and police officers in poverty stricken regions in the eastern end of the state where there is hardly a non-white face to be seen. The crimes are the same… drug dealing, assault, murder and worse, with both the perpetrators and the cops being almost entirely white. And yet these people are still criminals who frequently attack and sometimes kill the police. The cops also have an unfortunately high incidence of having to kill the perpetrators. But nobody talks about that on CNN. Chris Hayes doesn’t show up if a cop kills a white meth dealer. The nation doesn’t join together to grieve if he kills the cop. Everyone is white so the story doesn’t matter on the national level.

But it matters to me. And it’s exactly the same as the cases that you and MSNBC get so excited over while ignoring the rest.

I also know that there is more black on black violence in Chicago and East New York and South Central LA than most of the rest of the country could imagine. And it is not talked about. But it matters to me.

I do know that it doesn’t matter what color Michael Brown was or how much skin pigmentation was to be observed in Eric Garner. When people come into constant, repeated contact with law enforcement in a negative way… when they either actively assault the police or refuse to comply with legally given orders and the police are forced to action which all but a tiny handful of them would prefer to avoid if possible, well… bad things happen.

The fact that you choose to weigh each incident based on the melanin content of the respective combatants says nothing about me but speaks volumes about you. And so, with that, I wish you a Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy new year. Your tired, well worn race baiting comments are uninteresting and not worth anyone’s precious time. But for the record, the “for now” comment was a joke, but also served as very minor notice. I have no need of anyone’s permission to ban users in this forum, but I also have no desire to do so unless they violate the well defined rules which have been posted repeatedly. While your comments may be insulting and unfounded, that is obviously not grounds for dismissal to the commentariat void, and I have no intention of banning you as long as you remain within the civil bounds set forth here. Nor do I have any “desire” to do so, though you are free to flatter yourself by thinking I care that much. But by the same token, I also don’t plan to spend my days answering your baseless, race baiting rants. So with that, I shall bid you a fine New Years.

You are, of course, free to keep up your typing skills by answering this with as many other racially charged replies as you wish, but I’m off to watch football and carry on with my life. I hope you enjoyed reading this to a degree inversely proportional to the enjoyment that I experienced in bothering to write it.

Best,

Jazz

Jazz Shaw on December 21, 2014 at 4:02 PM

The left wants to have riots, they want people angry at law and order (unless it is Obama) and I am not understanding why right now.

Clearly continuing the lawlessness and the upsetting of normal society is losing them future elections, making some people get turned off of them forever.

It used to be said the liberals were the 10% who controlled the Party, is it now the 1%?

OregonPolitician on December 21, 2014 at 4:03 PM

A person like DeBlasio should not hold the Mayor’s office in any city.

grumpyank on December 21, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Chudi on December 21, 2014 at 3:16 PM

So foncused you are.

Key West Reader on December 21, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Jazz Shaw on December 21, 2014 at 4:02 PM

:::::Swoon::::: you never write like that to me LOL

Key West Reader on December 21, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Good for you Jazz.

Pelosi Schmelosi on December 21, 2014 at 4:09 PM

BMORE!

GO TO MY BLOG, GET MY EMAIL ADDY, AND SHOOT ME A NOTE!

PointnClick on December 21, 2014 at 4:10 PM

I think you meant that other ‘c’ word: Comfortable.

Resist We Much on December 21, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Snork! Gurl hahaha!

Key West Reader on December 21, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Best,

Jazz

Jazz Shaw on December 21, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Sheesh, shorter version “Chudi is the racist of HA, one of 5”.

Schadenfreude on December 21, 2014 at 4:12 PM

A+

Del Dolemonte on December 21, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Oh snap.

Flora Duh on December 21, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Key West Reader on December 21, 2014 at 4:07 PM

I’ll set aside a half hour for New Years. ;-)

Jazz Shaw on December 21, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Kudos +100

Athos on December 21, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Nicely done jazz. You win a cookie:-)

elvis lives on December 21, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Great column, Jazz. Powerfully argued.

aquaviva on December 21, 2014 at 4:17 PM

I actually went to school, and I am a professional.

Chudi on December 20, 2014 at 9:36 PM

You robbed a truly deserving minority of his/her grants, you looter/moocher of society. You wasted that dough.

Schadenfreude on December 21, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Best,

Jazz

Heh heh heh…

oscarwilde on December 21, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Obama=”i actually went to school, i am a professional”….

elvis lives on December 21, 2014 at 4:24 PM

“That is incitement to riot and mayhem.” I don’t think this is adequate explanation for the behavior of Democrats and other Leftists. I believe their goal is provoking civil war.

EndOfPatience on December 21, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Best,

Jazz

Jazz Shaw on December 21, 2014 at 4:02 PM

“What we clearly see here is the difference between merely competent amateurs and an accomplished professional.”

– Linus Van Pelt

itsspideyman on December 21, 2014 at 4:30 PM

Ineffective, divisive, destructive, not needed–

Yes, yes, yes and yes.

FireBlogger on December 21, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Jazz Shaw on December 21, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Thank you for writing it, Jazz. I’d say you win the Internet, but that’s too cliche and I can’t write anything better other than that. :)

DevilishSoda on December 21, 2014 at 4:34 PM

A 35 year retired cop here. Very well said.

kam582 on December 21, 2014 at 5:07 PM

I am a professional.

Chudi on December 20, 2014 at 9:36 PM

World’s Oldest Profession?

Wethal on December 21, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Like Obama with his party’s defeat in the recent election, DeBlasio will see this as a call to double down.

profitsbeard on December 21, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Hilarious.

Sure, DeBlasio should resign. So should have Bill Clinton.

But expecting Democrats to do the right thing is like expecting an apple to fall up from the ground to the tree. It is the opposite of the way things are ordered and cannot happen.

~~

If there is a living Democrat who is not a corrupt, evil totalitarian at heart, I wish you would point him out.

Then we can watch to see if HE ever does the right thing. Five will get you ten he doesn’t.

Adjoran on December 21, 2014 at 5:21 PM

A few things;
Congrats to Jazz for a level headed response to an idiot.
Go to a police station or cop to wish them a Blessed Christmas and thank them for their work.
Buy more ammo and/or guns because we all know that cops can’t be everywhere all the time.
Hug your loved ones and tell them you love them.
Christmas blessings to all (even the idiot).

Deadeye on December 21, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Well done, Jazz.

And a very Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Solaratov on December 21, 2014 at 6:00 PM

To liberals like Di Blasio 2 dead cops can never racially kill black men so its a net positive.

IXXINY on December 21, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Jazz Shaw on December 21, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Sure, but where is our gift? Merry Christmas Jazz, to you and yours, have a lovely Holiday.

Bmore on December 21, 2014 at 6:35 PM

I am a professional.

Chudi on December 20, 2014 at 9:36 PM

World’s Oldest Profession?

Wethal on December 21, 2014 at 5:10 PM

He means that he doesn’t service Obama for free. A man’s gotta eat, ya know.

307wolverine on December 21, 2014 at 6:45 PM

The time is past for Bill de Blasio to resignHANG

Fify.

Andy__B on December 21, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Others above may have said something similar, but:
Cannot the same type article be written accurately about obama?

GaltBlvnAtty on December 21, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Attorney General of New York City needs to indite , Obama, Holder and Al Sharpton on conspiracy to commit murder.

jpcpt03 on December 21, 2014 at 8:12 PM

The author misspelled “Obama”!! And he’s (supposed to be) the head of the country…not a “city.”

Other than that, the article is mostly correct.

landlines on December 21, 2014 at 10:01 PM

My heart aches for their families. Great write up in honor of their memories Jazz.

I am going to make this political though. There needs to be multiple of republicans that call this out and tie it to people that think like di Blasio, Holder, and Obama. Yes they all think essentially the Sam here. This needs needs to be called out by both republican leadership AND presidential nominees. If not, our country continues down this path and it is not a good one. Time to kill political correctness.

mgron on December 21, 2014 at 11:02 PM

Contrary to several posts here, New York City did not get what it deserved in that Socialist Deblasio. Hordes of voters stayed home. There was a record low turnout – 24% I think. Hardly a “mandate”.

unsmiley on December 21, 2014 at 11:34 PM

unsmiley on December 21, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Sure they did. They didn’t care enough to make a choice. They let others decide for them. So their non-choice was a choice to defer the decision to others.

307wolverine on December 22, 2014 at 12:01 AM

De blahblah is a fail and has been from the very beginning. He isn’t even as good a fascist as Bloomberg, but he’s trying real hard. Get rid of the bum.

Andy__B on December 22, 2014 at 12:46 AM

unsmiley on December 21, 2014 at 11:34 PM

307wolverine on December 22, 2014 at 12:01 AM

That’s true. Obama snot-whined the same thing about the Congressional elections last month.

ebrown2 on December 22, 2014 at 7:30 AM

That bum mayor should be recalled and thrown out of office.

rplat on December 22, 2014 at 7:43 AM

Holder, Sharpton, and the media will defend Warren Wilhelm Jr. to the death.

HikaruKitsune on December 22, 2014 at 8:05 AM

What is truth? It is what we believe it to be. As the communist history professor believe America is a vile moment in history- picking on Indians and blacks and Mexicans.

Other believe that America was the brightest light in history, the culmination of all the past efforts of enlightened men to create a nation where people are free, have free will, and opportunity to excel by their own hand. And that frightens men who want to rule others by force.

What is the truth?

The truth is the bad guys are winning, largely because we allow it. They control us through PC and fears of isolation and ruin.

And we let them.

They are few in number, but far larger than two generations ago, when my entire opinion of them was reduced to two words- “fu**ing hippies..”

Now they run universities, companies, media. They have trained a second generation of people, who are arguably more strident and angry and violent- like that 29 yr old college professor and his friends.

How bad is it now that they have warped OUR society? An avowed communist was elected mayor in New York, a suspected communist was elected President TWICE!!

Somewhere in hell Khrushchev must be beating his shoe in glee.

Because we didn’t listen to his warning.

Folks, before this is over, it is going to get bloody, violent and we may not win.

If we let it happen that way.

archer52 on December 22, 2014 at 8:23 AM

I think DeBlasio got a good look at what he’s helped to create and maybe he didn’t like it. Evil is hard to look at. New Yorkers if they paid any attention at all, should be very afraid at what he’s helped to create. Thankfully, I’m watching this from afar. They live there and none of them know how to stop this anarchy.

Kissmygrits on December 22, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Indeed. Mayor you should resign immediately. The good of “The City” is sufficient reason but also to salvage any respect you may have left.

BTW Mr. Cuomo, you are the Governor. Act like the Governor.

diogenes on December 22, 2014 at 9:19 AM

When you go back to ask Ed foe permission to ban me, maybe you can also ask him for permission to ban those who have threatened to shoot me and burn down my house.

Chudi on December 21, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Then he should do it, instead of saying that he needs permission from Ed. Nonsense…

Chudi on December 21, 2014 at 3:14 PM

First of all, nobody threatened to burn down your house, and for you to continue pushing that notion completely undermines your argument about there being zero social responsibility for anti-cop violence.

Second, what he said is that there are terms of service that govern the way the site is run. It’s not “asking permission” to permit you to stay as you continue to test the limits of the letter of those terms, to say nothing of the spirit.

In the meantime, you might want to consider the difference between a non-negative presence (lack of violation of the terms) and a positive presence. They are not wholly synonymous.

The Schaef on December 22, 2014 at 9:22 AM

jpcpt03 on December 21, 2014 at 8:12 PM

“..indict..”

The War Planner on December 22, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Wow. Nice response.

I would ban him. That particular person is only posting to cause trouble, not to have a meaningful conversation. Another race arsonist.

I agree, Deblamio needs to go.

dogsoldier on December 22, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Well said, Jazz!

I don’t really pay attention to Chudi. I guess my “Troll radar” helps me to avoid his/her posts but I don’t understand what he/she gets out of coming here and trying to troll.

As a black conservative, I am absolutely disgusted by “black folk” running around stating: “Black life matters” when no one in this country kills black people –like other black people do. First, “we” need to become outraged at the low regard that we have for ourselves as a people and deal with and fix that. Afterwards we can look at how others view us.

Liberalism is accomplishing what the KKK never could: self destruction. But we want to be angry with everyone else. I too am an educated professional, in case you read this, Chudi. ;)

BDev on December 22, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Jazz Shaw on December 21, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Quit feeding the troll. You gave it exactly what it wanted. Here’s the script you followed.

A. Troll points a finger at poster and screams ‘Racist!!!’

B. Poster feels a need to defend himself, lest he be assumed guilty until he proves himself innocent.

C. Rinse and repeat.

Here is how the script should go..

A. Troll points a finger at poster and screams ‘Racist!!!’

B. Site management demands the troll produce its evidence.

C. If the evidence is not conclusive the troll is banned. If the evidence is conclusive the racist is banned.

When there are is no downside to pointing a finger and screaming ‘Racist!!!’ and only a potential upside you can expect there to be a lot of finger pointing and screaming.

Tolerating such behavior is not conservative. It is foolishly liberal.

farsighted on December 22, 2014 at 6:48 PM

No!!!! NYC deserves to suffer every minute of his entire term. Maybe they will stop reflexively voting for every idiot with a D after his name.

pgrossjr on December 22, 2014 at 6:54 PM

I’m off to watch football and carry on with my life

Jazz Shaw on December 21, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Well done, Jazz. And might I also say that conservatives do not care what your race is. They only care about what product or service you offer, and hope that your business is successful.

John the Libertarian on December 22, 2014 at 9:37 PM

unsmiley on December 21, 2014 at 11:34 PM

So are we adopting the President Obama and Debbie Wasserman Schultz take on this, in that they have a mandate from the people who didn’t vote?

Star Bird on December 23, 2014 at 11:59 AM

unsmiley on December 21, 2014 at 11:34 PM

With all due respect, how is staying home and not voting not “getting what they deserved”?

Though voting or not voting, New York made Deblasio mayor.

hawkdriver on December 24, 2014 at 8:04 AM

Jazz, I have a question: who does the mayor serve? The people of New York or the police department?

Tom_Shipley on December 24, 2014 at 8:36 AM

Also, Jazz, do you live in New York?

Tom_Shipley on December 24, 2014 at 8:36 AM