Obama: “not just an issue for Ferguson. This is an issue for America”

posted at 8:01 am on November 25, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

Allahpundit covered the long expected decision last night, and you’ve all had plenty to say about it. Even as the violence and unrest continue, I wanted to take a few moments to examine some of the highly disturbing comments which were delivered by the President of the United States in the minutes following the announcement in Ferguson. To his credit, Barack Obama reiterated a call for restraint and a rejection of violence. This was both important and appropriate, not that it changed much of anything. It was only a matter of minutes before I was watching Jake Tapper choking on tear gas and looking as if he were about to cough up a lung.

Unfortunately, the President didn’t stop there, and his speech kept repeating a second message, more hinted at than directly stated. (Emphasis added.)

First and foremost, we are a nation built on the rule of law. And so, we need to accept that this decision was the grand jury’s to make. There are Americans who agree with it, and there are Americans who are deeply disappointed, even angry. It’s an understandable reaction

Finally, we need to recognize that the situation in Ferguson speaks to broader challenges that we still face as a nation. The fact is in too many parts of this country a deep distrust exists between law enforcement and communities of color. Some of this is the result of the legacy of racial discrimination in this country. And this is tragic because nobody needs good policing more than poor communities with higher crime rates…

So, those should be the lessons that we draw from these tragic events. We need to recognize that this is not just an issue for Ferguson. This is an issue for America.

There’s more of this peppered throughout the speech, but I believe you’re getting the idea here. Yes, the President stated that the decision was the Grand Jury’s to make, but it was continually followed by caveats. There was another message in the way the President chose to frame his response:

The normal investigative process was followed, but you have a right to be angry. We had a months long investigation and mountains of evidence presented to a jury of your peers, but this was clearly a bad decision caused by the country’s legacy of racism. The evidence may have indicated that Officer Wilson acted within the framework of the law, but this isn’t just about one cop in Ferguson. White cops all over the country are out to get the black man and I’m sending Eric Holder to find out about it.

This is not a message of healing, nor is it a statement of support for the rule of law. That speech was a thinly veiled call to action, not to improve the nation, but to reinforce the idea that the legal system is not to be trusted. Barack Obama was telling everyone that you can have your day in court (or in this case, before a Grand Jury to decide if it even goes to court) but there is no reason for you to either trust or accept the results. If things don’t go the way you want, then it’s the courts that are wrong, not you. And when the legal dust settles, of course we don’t want any violence, but it’s completely understandable why you are so angry.

It sends a second message to Officer Darren Wilson and the rest of the first responders around the nation as well. If you are on the job in a community where you don’t belong because you don’t look like everyone you are protecting, you are a suspect by default in any controversial situation. And in a horrible case like this, even if a jury of your peers examines the evidence and finds that you were simply doing your job, your government will go out with a wink and a nod and tell everyone that you are probably still guilty. Also, your job will be forfeit and your life will be fundamentally changed because you will still be guilty in the court of public opinion. And nobody from the government is coming to your assistance. In fact, we’re going to throw you under the bus.

So why should you bother signing up to do this job in the first place? That’s probably a question a lot of cops are asking themselves this morning.

Comments

Chudi on November 25, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Here ladies and gents is another batshit crazy, howling moonbat.

dogsoldier on November 25, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Some friendly advice-never post first in a Hot Gas thread. Because getting in the first word is never as good as getting in the last word!

Del Dolemonte on November 25, 2014 at 11:24 AM

I thought that was called, “killing the thread.”

Not that I’ve ever done that ….

There Goes the Neighborhood on November 25, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Your strong response to my idle comment immediately makes me doubt your claim that you in fact voted for McCain in ’08 and Romney in ’12, as does your gratuitous reference to “YOU and people like you”. I had absolutely nothing to do with either man getting the nomination.

INCOMPLETE.

Del Dolemonte on November 25, 2014 at 12:10 PM

I don’t care if you believe me or not. Your accusation was anything but idle.

It’s easy for you to point blame at the nameless, faceless Republican base voters that refused to vote for McLame and Romney. And yet you overlook, and dismiss the underlying reason. Those candidates couldn’t even motivate Republican BASE voters to turn out for them.

You need to place blame where it SHOULD be placed, and that’s squarely on the shoulders of the establishment candidates.

I won’t make the mistake of voting for liberal, big government, establishment (R)’s ever again.

Meople on November 25, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Jazz Shaw is the biggest race monger on HotAir. He has made this very plain and everybody knows it. I am still not sure why he is one of the contributors here.l He clearly hates black people, and more than 50% of his write-ups here have a racial angle, with almost of them tending to white supremacy.

I don’t value anything he says, because he very obviously thinks black people have no rights and deserve to get killed by white cops for no reason. Ed and Allah and every other contributor on this site, even though they support Darren Wilson at least show some understanding for the fact that Micheal Brown was a person, who lost his life.

Jazz always shows extreme contempt for Micheal Brown, even in death, and because of that I and many others in this place hold him in extreme contempt. A race-monger like him has no place writing for HotAir, and contributes to the intolerance of this place.

Chudi on November 25, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Is “Chudi” the plural for “C.H.U.D.”? In addition, since I am not all too familiar with the writings of Jazz Shaw, can you cite and/or reference past/current pieces he has written which support the assertions in your post?

tanked59 on November 25, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Chudi on November 25, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Since Brown was killed for very good reason, you should have no objection to the grand jury announcement.

And yet….

There Goes the Neighborhood on November 25, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Chudi on November 25, 2014 at 12:40 PM and at 12:45 PM

Proverbs 18:6-7

Revelation21v3n4 on November 25, 2014 at 12:50 PM

tanked59 on November 25, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Do you really think you will get reasoned responses from someone throwing “white supremacist” labels around?

Is that even possible? That person seems to have the mental horsepower of a box of rocks.

dogsoldier on November 25, 2014 at 12:51 PM

You and your comments are as welcome here as a turd in a punch bowl.

bimmcorp on November 25, 2014 at 12:38 PM

You are a white supremacist, and so I am not surprised your are in favor of whitening HotAir. I have been here since the beginning, and you and racist ilk can’t get rid of me.

Chudi on November 25, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Who said anything about ‘whitening’ HotAir, pachookie? YOU did. Moron.

Furthermore, I have no interest in getting rid of you. You are doing that all by yourself by calling other posters vile names, etc. The ban hammer lurks for you, Kingfish.

bimmcorp on November 25, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Chudi on November 25, 2014 at 12:40 PM and at 12:45 PM

Proverbs 18:6-7

Revelation21v3n4 on November 25, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Chudi is not into the Bible…most Muslims aren’t.

bimmcorp on November 25, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Even Especially at short range with a pistol you go for center of mass.

ajacksonian on November 25, 2014 at 11:39 AM

The closer the target, the greater angle to the knee in relation to shoulder level exponentially increases the difficulty of the shot.

PXCharon on November 25, 2014 at 12:56 PM

How come you as a white person can afford not to teach your child, but a black family have no margin for error. You are an f— racist and a piece of trash. Do you know how many white kids I see at my hospital in Boston? Do you know the amount of drugs done by white kids in America. Please shut up your white supremacist mouth.

Chudi on November 25, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Disposing of the hospital’s hazardous waste must be a very difficult and mentally draining position for you….

tanked59 on November 25, 2014 at 12:56 PM

bimmcorp on November 25, 2014 at 12:55 PM

So? He can learn to diversify can’t he?

Anyway, it was for us as it would obviously be over his comprehension level… ;-)

Revelation21v3n4 on November 25, 2014 at 12:58 PM

tanked59 on November 25, 2014 at 12:48 PM

dogsoldier on November 25, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Vegas odds are stacked against me on the former, but definitely agreed on the latter….

tanked59 on November 25, 2014 at 1:00 PM

bimmcorp on November 25, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Or maybe I should have said I thought liberals were all about diversity…

Revelation21v3n4 on November 25, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Chudi on November 25, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Another drooling, racist mouth-breather heard from.

Meanwhile, crickets are sounding from these fascist’s keyboards on -this-:

ebrown2 on November 25, 2014 at 1:05 PM

bimmcorp on November 25, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Or maybe I should have said I thought liberals were all about diversity…

Revelation21v3n4 on November 25, 2014 at 1:01 PM

No, it’s all about celebrating REAL criminals instead of legitimately innocent victims.

ebrown2 on November 25, 2014 at 1:06 PM

A race-monger like him has no place writing for HotAir…

Chudi on November 25, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Racemonger? A person whose stock in trade is race? That’s a curious term. are you saying he makes people into different races? What a fascinating talent.

For no reason? This fellow was just walking along, minding his own business, when an evil white cop stepped forth from the shadows and gunned him down arbitrarily?

How come you as a white person can afford not to teach your child

Chudi on November 25, 2014 at 12:40 PM

I’m not sure where this came from, and by all accounts seems to be completely made up. In what way can “a white person” “afford not to teach” respect and deference to police authority?

Chudi on November 25, 2014 at 12:45 PM

The fact that you think he wants you to go because of your race – of which none of us here have any knowledge – and not because of your senseless rambling, says a lot about the mindset you bring to this discussion.

The Schaef on November 25, 2014 at 1:07 PM

ebrown2 on November 25, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Noooooo…..you’re kidding, aren’t you? Say it ain’t so…

/sarc off

Revelation21v3n4 on November 25, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Another drooling, racist mouth-breather heard from.

Meanwhile, crickets are sounding from these fascist’s keyboards on -this-:

ebrown2 on November 25, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Can’t say I know a thing about “TD” or his music, first I’ve ever heard of him. Not a fan of rap in general.

But to suggest that he’s criminally liable as a conspirator solely based on his music, is a pretty clear wound to First Amendment Rights.

PXCharon on November 25, 2014 at 1:24 PM

DNC Slogan, We must fight Apartheid in America

IXXINY on November 25, 2014 at 1:38 PM

China has a lot invested in Americas politions, they actually own them,a lot in our economy, school systems and so on,with Obamas amnesty and stoking racial hatred who does China think is going to pay our debt to them,lol that’s
right NOBODY. OBAMARUPSY= FOREIGN COUNTRYS CO SIGNING FOR DEMACRATIC DEBT THAT WILL NEVER BE PAID BACK.

IXXINY on November 25, 2014 at 1:51 PM

CO2 the plant food is a bigger danger than Iran nukes , so says Obama and Kerry.

I say these two are the core if the evil USA faces.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on November 25, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Hmm…will Chudi be the second poster banned in a week?

fossten on November 25, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Gack

APACHEWHOKNOWS on November 25, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Chudi on November 25, 2014 at 12:45 PM

The Race Card beat his chest a lot like you do, and he was banned.

fossten on November 25, 2014 at 2:16 PM

The Race Card beat his chest a lot like you do, and he was banned.

fossten on November 25, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Oh man, I remember that tool. HA put up with a remarkable list of wild accusations from him before he finally disappeared. Not quite sure that Spud has reached that level yet…

I think the ban was over obtaining and displaying another user’s personal information, though. In the manner of the Occu/Anon d-bags hoping some random SJW picks up the torch and attacks them.

PXCharon on November 25, 2014 at 2:23 PM

I can’t see the content of his heart, so I know not if he is racist

but from his actions and the circumstances, I do think he is incompetent and grossly negligent and escalated a situation beyond what was necessary

nonpartisan on November 25, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Sorry I’m a little late to this party, but I thought I would join in.

Nonpartisan, you think Officer Wilson is incompetent and grossly negligent escalating the situation what was necessary. What credentials do you possess that allow you to ascertain what was necessary in a situation you did not participate in?

Are you a trained law enforcement office or just watch “Cops and CSI” when you stay at a Holiday Inn? My bet is you would have $hit yourself if confronted with that situation and either curled up in a fetal position hoping Mr.Brown was merciful and didn’t stomp the $hit out of you or you would have run off telling the thug you didn’t see or hear anything.

You are one of the bigger weasels that frequent HA with your knee-jerk reactions to everything.

belad on November 25, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Wow. I never knew Jazz Shaw was so racist that he is actually turning Hot Gas into Stormfront by, um…. Reporting on the truth…….

Jazz, you should be ashamed of yourself! Now go put on your “I am Mike Brown” shirt with his smiling face wearing his graduation uniform and an angel halo over his head…. Instead of the picture of him with the stolen merchandise in one hand, and his other choking a poor shopkeeper who is 1/3 his size.

You racist!

KMC1 on November 25, 2014 at 2:32 PM

KMC1 on November 25, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Given the mood today, you might want to use a /sarc tag. Heh.

GWB on November 25, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Given the mood today, you might want to use a /sarc tag. Heh.

GWB on November 25, 2014 at 2:54 PM

You should have issued a Trigger Warning with your post! All your micro-aggressions almost caused me to convulse……

KMC1 on November 25, 2014 at 3:04 PM

KMC1 on November 25, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Hah!

GWB on November 25, 2014 at 3:05 PM

There must be big money associated with race hustling.

Obviously, Obama, Jackson, and Sharpton are rolling in it, and keeping it that way, and keeping the cash rolling in depends on keeping a significant percentage of black folks fat, dumb, agitated, and happy. Seems to me that encouraging savage, barely civilized behavior, is one of their key methods, and damn those who would identify them as the culprits keeping their people on the liberal plantations.

A