Gruber: Obama personally asked me to help disguise unhelpful Obamacare facts

posted at 12:01 pm on November 17, 2014 by Guy Benson

That’s not quite his verbatim quote, but it’s pretty darn close:

“The problem is it’s a political nightmare, and people say ‘no, you can’t tax my benefits’…so what we did a lot in that room was think a lot about well how could we make this work?  … And [Obama] is really a realistic guy.  He was like, ‘look, I can’t just do this.’  He said ‘it’s just not going to happen politically.  The bill will not pass.  How do we manage to get there through phase-ins and other things?’  And we talked about it.  He was just very interested in that topic.”

And why was Obama so keen on obscuring the nature of his signature law’s taxes?  Perhaps because he’d just recently spent months relentlessly hammering John McCain over a proposal to tax health benefits “for the first time.”  So he needed MacGruber to swoop in and help craft a strategy of evasion and deflection.  Noah mentioned over the weekend that in his response to Grubergate, Obama insisted that he’d never misled the public on Obamacare (which virtually nobody really buys at this point, and for good reason) and disavowed Gruber’s seemingly endless damning comments.  One formulation that stuck out to me was his assertion that Gruber “was never on our staff.”  This is exceedingly weak spin.  The video above contains evidence that the president was personally huddling with Gruber on the Obamacare sales pitch, charging him with fashioning accounting tricks that might provide a politically-necessary fig leaf — which Paul Ryan dismantled at the  pre-passage “health care summit.”  It’s impossible for the White House to just divorce itself from this guy.  He was very much their guy.  Not only did they furnish Gruber with $400,000 for his services, they made him a leading point person for “drafting the specifics” of the law with Congress.  Via the New York Times:

Along with these credentials, Mr. Gruber’s position as an adviser to the influential Congressional Budget Office also left him perfectly positioned to advise the White House on health reform. “The most important arbiter of everything was the C.B.O.,” said Neera Tanden, who was a senior adviser for health reform at the Department of Health and Human Services. The C.B.O.’s assessment of a bill’s efficacy and costs strongly influences political debate, but the office does not publicly reveal how it calculates those numbers. “We knew the numbers he gave us would be close to where the C.B.O. was likely to come out,” Ms. Tanden said. She was right. After Mr. Gruber helped the administration put together the basic principles of the proposal, the White House lent him to Capitol Hill to help Congressional staff members draft the specifics of the legislation.

That 2012 profile also quotes Gruber cheerfully describing himself as a “card-carrying Democrat” who routinely holds election night “victory parties” with friends.  (How did this year’s celebration go, I wonder?)  Obama can try to pull a Pelosi with Gruber.  Good luck with that.  Alternatively, he can keep lying about not having lied, but only the hardest-core of partisans will believe him.  Even Obamacare supporters like Ron Fournier are throwing in the towel, conceding that the law was constructed on a “foundation of lies.”  Indeed.

Comments

Speaker John Boehner [email protected] 15m15 minutes ago
RT @hotairblog: Gruber: Obama personally asked me to help disguise unhelpful Obamacare facts http://hotair.com/?p=2155189

Hi John…

d1carter on November 17, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Midas on November 17, 2014 at 4:32 PM

I do not know that answer…
maybe because he was the Gov that signed it??
maybe to tie a liberal idea to someone with a R behind their name??
and thus making it easier to shove ACA down our throats nationally??

here’s the fact check bit on it

and the Wiki bit..

going2mars on November 17, 2014 at 4:47 PM

blah blah blah … a typo … blah blah blah

verbaluce on November 17, 2014 at 2:53 PM

A typo?

Even you don’t believe that blarney. The restriction to the state-run exchanges solely the ability to disburse subsidies redistributions was a bullying tactic meant to force more statehouses and governors to swallow the poison pill.

And you damn well know it.

hillbillyjim on November 17, 2014 at 4:48 PM

So, when is MIT going to fire this guy?

DevilsPrinciple on November 17, 2014 at 4:50 PM

It’s unfair to vilify Romney as a “progressive” when he was the governor of a progressive state. Above all else, Romney is a get-things-done type. It was work with what he had, or spend his time in office tilting at conservative windmills.

Of course TruCons prefer people who “fight,” who scream and make waves but accomplish nothing. They love gridlock. It’s their way or the highway.

But at least 80% of the country feels differently. Thank goodness.

Meredith on November 17, 2014 at 4:01 PM

“Getting things done” means more legislation and thus fewer freedoms. Gridlock means a reprieve from the ratcheting noose that is our feral gubmint.

You just. don’t. get it. Do ya.

fossten on November 17, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Meredith on November 17, 2014 at 4:01 PM

the videos of him saying hes progressive must mean hes really really conservative huh?
words matter.
when he says he is proud of something and calls himself progressive I take him at his word.
should I call him a liar then?
actually with the way his positions shift that may not too far off.
you guys fell for him, don’t blame me on your idiocy.

going2mars on November 17, 2014 at 4:13 PM

I would have vetoed it due to the need of federal funds.
the fact the veto gets over ridden means nothing, not vetoing it means he supports it.
He supported taking 500 million a year from the feds to backstop his “signature” legislation.
And if he uses the excuse of he didn’t know that it would need federal funds then he must have passed it to see what what was in it.

he’s a nice charitable guy. I sucked it up and voted for him this time only.
he’s a horrible politician who has no specific position as they change as needed.

dmacleo on November 17, 2014 at 4:51 PM

going2mars on November 17, 2014 at 4:36 PM

For the record, I’m not a Mitt hater, though I held my nose to vote for him for the precise reason we ended up with. He was not and still is not the best solution for this country. We need an R who, to paraphrase C.S. Lewis, has a chest. We need an unmovable, unflappable rock who will go after the real diseases and wipe them out.

Revelation21v3n4 on November 17, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Midas on November 17, 2014 at 4:32 PM

he didn’t ‘just sign it’ when it landed on his desk
he vetoed several parts..
to no avail.. the Mass Senate over rode those vetoes..
(at that time the Dems held 87% of the Mass State Senate)

you can read them here..

going2mars on November 17, 2014 at 4:55 PM

verbaluce on November 17, 2014 at 2:01 PM

So he’s a smug prick hired by a smug prick to lie to Americans. Got it.

dominigan on November 17, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Obamacare architect Jonathan Gruber has billed federal and state governments at least $5.9 million for advice:

Viator on November 17, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Isn’t it AMAZING how much leftists make off of their schemes?

And they do it in the name of egalitarianism.

SubmarineDoc on November 17, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Revelation21v3n4 on November 17, 2014 at 4:53 PM

I don’t disagree with that at all…
two questions…

who??

and

where are you going to find the 30 million or more votes to get that done??

limited small government types number 20 million…maybe…

the takers outnumber us by a ton…

going2mars on November 17, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Give us a frigging break. Do you think the majority of us here did not know this.

Most of us did not support him in the primary.

Should we have voted for Obama during the general?

How about looking ahead to what we can do now and quit whining about 2012.

Barred on November 17, 2014 at 1:06 PM

I know a majority didn’t support him in the primary, Captain Obvious. And it ought to be obvious from all the press he’s getting that there are some who are hoping that Mitt’s political life isn’t done-for yet. That being the case, I’m hoping to quash any chance Mitt has of even running for dog catcher in ’16. He has already had more power over more people than he ever deserved in his capacity as an elected official.

gryphon202 on November 17, 2014 at 5:08 PM

going2mars on November 17, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Who?? There are several on the R horizon who have proven they don’t bow down. As to getting enough votes, well we have 2 years to get the message out there in a positive way. You set the narrative and the agenda and you stick with it. You don’t allow the Ds and the MSM to set the parameters of the debate. You set it yourself and you go after the lies with every tool in your arsenal. And you do it with simplicity, integrity and conviction. Clearly enough of the country is ready for that message. Reagan did it. It can be done again with the right, fearless and committed candidate. My humble 2 cents worth.

Revelation21v3n4 on November 17, 2014 at 5:13 PM

dmacleo on November 17, 2014 at 4:51 PM

I have no idea why he did or did not veto your particular point..

maybe he was tired after the 8 or 10 vetoes got mowed over in the Mass Senate…
maybe as a business man he was for deferring the costs to the feds,
especially if they were stupid enough to pay for it..

I dunno… you should ask him…

and for the record..
I am not necessarily a Mitt lover…
but I can understand logic and the numbers..
100% of the Mass Senate and 98% of the Mass house…
and you would stomp your foot and do what???
and unlike your name calling …I am not a idiot..

I am tired of the constant bashing of a FAR better man
than what we got.. period

see the 4:36 post…
if you can answer ‘yes he would have done that’ to more than
two of my points I’d be surprised..

I’ll ask you the same Q I asked Revelation21v3n4..

who??

and

where are you going to find the 30 million or more votes to get that done??

going2mars on November 17, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Revelation21v3n4 on November 17, 2014 at 5:13 PM

you gave not a single name…
and
the takers out number the makers..
your talking about a fundamental re-change of America..
back to Honesty.. Integrity.. Vision.. Hard Work
Love of Country and your fellow man..
a Belief in American can do attitude…

first you have to get the youth to put down the phone..
wear a belt so they can stop pulling up their pants..
pay attention… learn… try… honesty… work hard..
and a dozen other things our parents taught us…
can we agree we are over the tipping point…??
so it will take time to tip it back…

going2mars on November 17, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Can we start equating “global warming” as another elite academic lie? Remember “hide the decline”? This is their way of saying the media is in our corner and everyone who believes differently is a “denialist”.

djaymick on November 17, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Viator on November 17, 2014 at 12:18 PM

What. the. f*ck.

I wanted to see this guys a$$ kicked when it was $400k; now I’m *really* pissed.

Midas on November 17, 2014 at 5:30 PM

we should also be talking about “maximum wage”..
how can we help you achieve your personal ‘Maximum Wage’
you maximum earning potential…
and not be satisfied with living just enough to get by..
and not how to make minimum wage be a ‘living wage’

when a minimum wage is enough… America will be stagnate..
and 40 or 50 year old burger flippers at 15 dollars an hour
will consume all the jobs the next generation of 18yr olds need..

my Grams used to say..
“it’s easier to look up at he stars,,,
than it is to look down at your shoes”

going2mars on November 17, 2014 at 5:30 PM

going2mars on November 17, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Walker, Jindal, Martin, Cruz, Lee, Palin, Haley. These are all people who have taken on the beast and won; not saying any of them are actually going to run–I don’t know that. I’m only saying these are the kind of people already on our side who would not back down and could take on the beast. Rush always says the left will tell you who they fear. They foam at the mouth over any of those names.

So what’s wrong with good old American backbone, strength and honor? When you start with those virtues in your tool chest, you’ve already won.

I don’t buy your argument we’re past the tipping point. We may be perilously on the edge, but we just had a sweep election which tells me people are fed up and want someone to take on the fight.

Again, my 2 cents.

Revelation21v3n4 on November 17, 2014 at 5:31 PM

I cant type anymore… my fingers are numb…
thanks all for your thoughts and ideas…later

going2mars on November 17, 2014 at 5:31 PM

going2mars on November 17, 2014 at 5:31 PM

LOL! I type all day every day…I’m just getting started…!!

Revelation21v3n4 on November 17, 2014 at 5:34 PM

The IRS is probably planning an extensive audit of Jonathan Gruber tax returns going back to the early 1990s.

bw222 on November 17, 2014 at 5:46 PM

gryphon202 on November 17, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Mitt refused to fight and let idiots (GOP establishment idiots) run his campaign – two reasons Mitt should never be considered again.

bw222 on November 17, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Oops, more film:

Obama in 2006: ‘I Have Stolen Ideas From’ Jonathan Gruber

Fallon on November 17, 2014 at 5:53 PM

Just grinning

Schadenfreude on November 17, 2014 at 5:54 PM

My big frustration-a significant number of people tried to get the truth out before the vote and they were totally shut down by the Democrats and the media.

Now it turns out essentially everything we tried to point out was true, they knew it was true, lied about it and then accused us of lying.

And with all those lies, they still couldn’t get the votes to pass it legally-they had to lie about the budgetary impact and pass it under reconciliation.

Do we have sufficient grounds to void the vote and the legislation?

Has this ever been done?

talkingpoints on November 17, 2014 at 6:02 PM

Just grinning

Schadenfreude on November 17, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Nothing has changed.
You know that, right?
Gruber is just a sideshow, mostly for Repubs to show off some ‘anger’ and ‘outrage’ for folks like you.
In the meantime…Obamacare.
And you’ll soon see the GOP’s participation…not any repeal.

verbaluce on November 17, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Oops, more film:

Obama in 2006: ‘I Have Stolen Ideas From’ Jonathan Gruber

Fallon on November 17, 2014 at 5:53 PM

Great find, Fallon!

This video needs to go VIRAL! Share it with your friends!

wren on November 17, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Walter L. Newton on November 17, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Jane Hamster is the Tolerant Leftist who runs the Far-Left blog Firedoglake.

Back in 2006, she let her blog publish a photo of Democrat Senator Joe Lieberman. He was in blackface, standing next to Bill Clinton.

Joe Lieberman Blackfaced, Jane Hamsher Redfaced

Del Dolemonte on November 17, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Does this mean Jane Hamsher was attacking Obamacare from the left when she wrote this article revealing Gruber’s role? It certainly sounds very critical.

topdog on November 17, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Less than 100 people made over 100,000 comments on the Obamacare facebook page. At least some of them have been documented as paid Democrat operatives.

talkingpoints on November 17, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Speaker John Boehner [email protected] 15m15 minutes ago

Hi John…
d1carter on November 17, 2014 at 4:36 PM

You are assuming that the Whigs are against Obamacare or something. Sorry

click here

Brock Robamney on November 17, 2014 at 6:40 PM

topdog on November 17, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Yes. She wanted single payer.

Barred on November 17, 2014 at 6:48 PM

gryphon202 on November 17, 2014 at 5:08 PM

You must not read here much then.

I’ve seen a lot saying he would have been better than Obama, but very few who want him running again.

The majority of the ones I see pushing Mitt are the writers.

Barred on November 17, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Because it’s a lot of noise and not much else. Anyone who says there wasn’t vigorous debate was in a coma (and uninsured). I think the fact that ACA opponents are now solely making their argument about a typo and the fact that some guy involved in writing some of it happens to be an a$$hole just speaks volumes.

verbaluce on November 17, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Yes, it was debated, and every valid negative point opponents made was shouted down by lies from the Democrats such as Obama, Gruber, the media and yourself.

The majority of AMericans had insurance prior to the ACA. 85% were happy with their insurance. Obama lied and said they could keep it, even though he knew over 50 million people would lose their insurance because their plans aren’t compliant.

Costs are going up for most people-an average of 7.5% for premiums-not the $2500 decreasethat Obama lied about.

You can’t keep your doctor-s/he was dropped from your plan.

Choice is reduced-Don’t believe in vaccines-have to pay for them anyway.
Don’t drink-have to pay for alcohol treatment anyway.
Cancer runs in your family-don’t get to pick based on better cancer coverage-need to make sure your sex change operation will be covered.

Essentially every statement that was used to “sell” Obamacare was a deception. Every time conservatives tried to point out the deception they were called liars.

Sorry, the government really doesn’t know what we want or care. If you continue to support the ACA despite it costing jobs, destroying patient physician relationships and increasing healthcare costs to individuals and the country as a whole, you are an evil person.

Don’t pee on my leg and tell me it’s raining.

talkingpoints on November 17, 2014 at 7:01 PM

You must not read here much then.

The majority of the ones I see pushing Mitt are the writers.

Barred on November 17, 2014 at 6:55 PM

So what’s the big freaking deal? I don’t like Mitt. I didn’t like Mitt. I have been perfectly consistent in my principles and ergo my dislike for Mitt on a political level.

Anyone who tries to tell me the Republican Party writ-large is about smaller government and saving my freedoms is either lying to me or stupid. Willard Milton is just a microcosm of everything that is wrong in politics today.

gryphon202 on November 17, 2014 at 7:05 PM

And [Obama] is really a realistic guy.

That is, for a guy completely out of touch with reality.

farsighted on November 17, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Nothing has changed.
You know that, right?
In the meantime…Obamacare.
And you’ll soon see the GOP’s participation…not any repeal.

verbaluce on November 17, 2014 at 6:06 PM

I’m sick of the sneering of this snotty little sh*t. She’s representative of the libs in government – they all think they are better than everybody else and know best how we all should live. Go run in front of a train.

fossten on November 17, 2014 at 7:21 PM

verbie on November 17, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Slinging the Grube, 7×24….

Of course, given the amount of damage this is doing, the only thing the useful idiots have left to do is to try to marginalize and minimize Gruber in an effort to limit more damage.

If only those same tools would start to marginalize and minimize Obama in an effort to limit more damage being done to their intellectually, ethically, and morally bankrupt agenda. Nah. Keep ranting in the bunker and call for ‘scorched earth’. That worked so well in the past….maybe this time it will deliver different results.

Athos on November 17, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Well, Gruber at least proved Franklin right about conspiracies, that’s for sure.

For that is what happened, Gruber, Obama, Kerry and a few others got together to put forth lies about Obamacare, and to restrict the CBO to such a very tight constraint that no real outside factors could even be discussed, much less considered. That static review of taxes and regulations always, and I do mean ALWAYS, comes out on the side of more of both, never less. Yet the world does not exist in stasis, but reacts to changes in both taxation and regulation. Any static review is a lie because it is meant to say that the world will never, ever change.

You can’t believe in BOTH AGW and Obamacare: one requires a dynamic world with feedbacks and the other doesn’t.

Gruber generated up figures to sell Obamacare, not to look at it critically… in fact they knew what would happen and laughed at the stupidity of those who voted for them and of members of the D party that BELIEVED THEM.

So if you are still sucking up to Grubercare, then the world is static, unchanging, and nothing bad will ever happen.

Or you can see that these people wanting to pass the law were willing to put up a bunch of Shinola to try and sell their crap. Anyone who bothered to smell the figures, look at the assumptions and actually examine past history involved with ANY form of government regulation knew that they were passing crap sold as Shinola. And if you are still calling it Shinola then you are full of it.

ajacksonian on November 17, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Nothing has changed.
You know that, right?
In the meantime…Obamacare.
And you’ll soon see the GOP’s participation…not any repeal.

verbaluce on November 17, 2014 at 6:06 PM

You do realize of course, that if Obamacare isn’t repealed everyone loses including yourself, right?

Star Bird on November 17, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Nothing has changed.
You know that, right?
In the meantime…Obamacare.
And you’ll soon see the GOP’s participation…not any repeal.

verbaluce on November 17, 2014 at 6:06 PM

I love how Gruber’s “just a sideshow,” yet Dumbocrats are running away from him & his comments to the degree that they’re feeling compelled to tell laughably childish lies about their relationships with him…spin, spin, spin, you moron, spin & deny – you are entertaining us! haha :)

Anti-ControI on November 17, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Nothing has changed.
You know that, right?

verbaluce on November 17, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Everything is changing.

Having already cost the Dems the Senate, and any chance of regaining the House in 2016, Grubercare is in free fall in the polls. No Dem will dare run on it again. Congress and SCOTUS can read the polls. SCOTUS is reviewing the legality of IRS-decreed subsidies to non-3011 exchanges, which will gut the law if they rule against the IRS. The legal state exchanges also are failing. Killing Grubercare would be doing Oregon a favor. The EO’s that have mitigated the worst impacts of Gubercare are expiring, which will trigger an even greater outcry than last year’s. And, really, with nothing at all to lose, sometime next year the Republicans will pass a repeal act, possibly even with bipartisan support– something Grubercare has never had. Obama will veto it, sure, but at that point even you will just be waiting for the end Grubercare. It’s over. You know that, right?

de rigueur on November 17, 2014 at 8:22 PM

@ verbaluce

Why don’t you elucidate your earlier “typo” reference for us rubes?

hillbillyjim on November 17, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Everything is changing.

The rout has been going on since Election Night, and it’s only gathering momentum…I have been having the grandest time since then – how about you? :)

You know that, right?

de rigueur on November 17, 2014 at 8:22 PM

verbaloser is like Baghdad Bob. The question is, what’s difference between what he knows and what he’ll admit?

Anti-ControI on November 17, 2014 at 8:36 PM

If this is true, then should we think about President Biden?

tjmorrill on November 17, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Anti-ControI on November 17, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Immensely. I’m not sure that even the GOP has gotten its head around the enormity of what happened. But when it does…

de rigueur on November 17, 2014 at 9:09 PM

If this is true, then should we think about President Biden?

tjmorrill on November 17, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Not to worry. Biden is such an idiot he’ll give us grounds for his impeachment soon enough.

Cf Seinfeld: “You? You’ll be out before we get the check”

jmad on November 17, 2014 at 9:32 PM

de rigueur on November 17, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Then we’ll really be screwed. The GOP is not our friend.

gryphon202 on November 17, 2014 at 11:44 PM

The only big difference is he (Romney) didn’t have to pay for his(Romneycare). Because the federal government paid for it. Where at the federal level, we have to pay for it, so we have to raise taxes.”

When Gruber says Romneycare had to be propped up (secretly in plain sight) from the start with federal money, and that model couldn’t go national because “how could the federal government prop itself up?” What he’s saying is ‘that’s the reason for the MANDATE for state exchanges’ so the federal government COULD prop them up. Now that’s the smoking gun the Supreme Court needs to hear.
And this was done specifically to make sure it would last just long enough to become an inoperable tumor!

Pole-Cat on November 18, 2014 at 12:23 AM

Nothing has changed.

You know that, right?

In the meantime…Obamacare.

And you’ll soon see the GOP’s participation…not any repeal.

verbaloon on November 17, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Pajama Boy

“Pajama Boy” is a derisive term for a photograph posted online in 2013 by the American political organization Organizing for Action (OFA) of one of its employees, Ethan Krupp,in support of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, otherwise known as Obamacare.

The photo was posted on December 17, 2013 by the organization,which advocates for the legislative agenda of President Barack Obama, from President Obama’s own Twitter account. It was part of a general campaign to get younger Americans to sign up for the health insurance program. The photo showed Krupp wearing thick-rimmed glasses, wearing black-and-red plaid onesie pajamas, and cradling a mug. The accompanying text read: “Wear pajamas. Drink hot chocolate. Talk about getting health insurance. #GetTalking.”

The tweet linked to the OFA website http://www.barackobama.com/health-care-holidays, which encourages individuals to discuss Obamacare during the holiday season with those family members that are uninsured, and encourage them to sign up. The tweet and pajama-clad man featured in it were quickly dubbed “Pajama Boy”, and mocked across social media, particularly by conservatives.

F-

Del Dolemonte on November 18, 2014 at 1:10 AM

It’s like Ronald Reagan said: “The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: ‘I’m from the gruberment and I’m here to help.”

de rigueur on November 18, 2014 at 11:19 AM

♬ ♪Peas, peas, peas, peas, eat your gruber peas. Goodness how delicious! Eat your gruber peas! ♩♫ –Barack Hussein Obama

de rigueur on November 18, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Immensely.

haha of course they haven’t!

But when it does…

de rigueur on November 17, 2014 at 9:09 PM

I don’t think the GOP ever will, fully, but I do take comfort in the fact that they are capable of learning from their mistakes, unlike Dumbocrats…

Anti-ControI on November 18, 2014 at 7:31 PM