Video: Ohio burglar tries robbing two homes, both with armed occupants

posted at 4:41 pm on November 11, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

NRA-ILA finds an interesting story from Ohio, where a would-be burglar wound up having a simply awful run of bad luck. Michael Roberts, 26, wielding a knife, attempted to break in to a private home through a basement window, but things didn’t go as planned.

Brian Hiner woke up to his dogs barking this morning and while checking to see what was going on, he heard some commotion.

“I hear something behind me because the basement doors are right behind me and I hear somebody and it’s him, he’s right behind me coming up the staircase,”said Hiner.

Hiner says Michael Roberts, 26, broke into his home through a small window in the backyard. He says during the confrontation, it was so dark
he couldn’t see anything so he quickly called 911, and grabbed a gun to keep Roberts cornered.

Normally, that would be the end of the story. Unfortunately, somebody wasn’t keeping a very good eye on Roberts and he escaped from the patrol car, fleeing into a nearby cornfield. Now, you might think that this was more than enough excitement for one day for most people, but apparently Roberts really likes living on the edge and broke into another home a few hours later. This one was empty except for 15 year old Justin Kugler who was home sick from school. Sounds like a target even the inept Mr. Roberts could handle, eh?

“I was home sending an email to my teachers about homework when my dogs started barking and I looked out the window but I didn’t see anybody there so I went to the top of the stairs with the gun to make sure there wasn’t anybody downstairs and then that’s when the door opened and I saw him,” said Justin Kugler.

Kugler says he was pretty scared because he noticed Roberts had a knife on him, but he was armed and ready for Roberts at the top of the stairs.

“I told him to get out of the house or I’m going to shoot you,” said Justin Kugler.

Roberts was arrested once again outside the house, ending his spree for the day. Watch the video below. The young man was raised in a home where he was trained on the safe use of firearms and what to do in the case of an emergency. That made all the difference.

19 Action News|Cleveland, OH|News, Weather, Sports

Comments

Well that`s boy`s parents ought to receive a visit from social services then be promptly arrested!

/s

ThePrez on November 11, 2014 at 4:46 PM

“That’s youth abuse” — carrion-feeding leftist

Schadenfreude on November 11, 2014 at 4:49 PM

/s

ThePrez on November 11, 2014 at 4:46 PM

I know it wars sarc, but I honestly would not be surprised.

KCB on November 11, 2014 at 4:49 PM

I imagine the kid will be expelled from school for being a gun nut.

///////

Ward Cleaver on November 11, 2014 at 4:50 PM

What a sad awful story… I’m sure you heartless, Christianists will eat up!

A poor, down-trodden Victim of Bush’s Economy simply looks for economic redress from the white, cisgendered middle class oppressors & in their hate-filled, “otherization” they turn, automatically, to VIOLENCE!

A dialogue would have helped, compassion would have helped, instead, we see the “Reification” of Private Property & the expense of Human Rights. Having, immorally, expropriated more than their Fair Share of Mother Gaia’s Bounty, these petite Bourgeois turn to implements of destruction & their Agent of the (Oppressive) State to defend their ill-gotten gains.

Anyway, most of you structurally-violent, racist, sexist, homophobic misogynists will cheer this story… but any person with any true Humanity will weep upon seeing it!

Good day, sir!

JFKY on November 11, 2014 at 4:51 PM

2 cases where both a firearm and dogs proved too much for the bad guy. Nice.

JusDreamin on November 11, 2014 at 4:53 PM

I’m sure the kid will be expelled for daring to touch a firearm, as soon as he returns to school.

Meople on November 11, 2014 at 4:55 PM

The left is always harping about “education.” Why not firearm safety as well?

rbj on November 11, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Michael Roberts, 26, wielding a knife,

Come y’all I’m disappointed no one went here;

Never Bring A Knife To A Gun Fight

Score one or two for the good guys.

D-fusit on November 11, 2014 at 4:58 PM

I imagine the kid will be expelled from school for being a gun nut.

///////

Ward Cleaver on November 11, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Doh, Ward beat me to it.

Although you’ll notice I wasn’t being sarcastic. I wouldn’t be surprised for a second if the anti-gun nazi’s lurking around his school try that very thing.

Meople on November 11, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Meople on November 11, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Where in Butler County do you live.

RickB on November 11, 2014 at 5:02 PM

I need to hear verbaluce’s opinion before I form mine.

Judge_Dredd on November 11, 2014 at 5:03 PM

When Roberts gets out of jail he should head over to Ferguson. They regard thugs as just gentle, misunderstood saints!!

Deano1952 on November 11, 2014 at 5:05 PM

/s

ThePrez on November 11, 2014 at 4:46 PM

I’m pretty sure in California his parents are guilty of a crime for having a gun accessible to a minor.

It’s a new law, and it’s constitutionality is being litigated, naturally.

Nessuno on November 11, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Where in Butler County do you live.

RickB on November 11, 2014 at 5:02 PM

I don’t live there. I just know how anti-gun zealots think. Especially the ones that enforce their “zero tolerance” schemes.

Some leftist “administrator” will try to suspend or expel the lad. It’s just how they operate.

Meople on November 11, 2014 at 5:14 PM

I wonder if it will ever occur to Mr. Armed Burglar how insanely lucky he is to be alive.

I wonder if it will ever occur to Mr. Leftwing Nutjob that people use firearms every day to defend their lives and homes … without being bloodthirsty villains.

M240H on November 11, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Deano1952, no Roberts is white, white thugs are not necessarily more welcome in Ferguson… ask the white dodo who attended a protest meeting.

JFKY on November 11, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Man, wouldn’t it be nice if we could just arm the dog? I don’t know how good a shot they would be, though. But, I’m not sure they’d have to actually hit anything. If I met a basset hound with a .45, I’d sure as h*** run… probably in several directions at once.

IndieDogg on November 11, 2014 at 5:19 PM

The left is always harping about “education.” Why not firearm safety as well?

rbj

Because the goal of the Left is to make everyone not in the nomenklatura a ward of the State.

chimney sweep on November 11, 2014 at 5:31 PM

So to recap……

Despite an incompetent police force, two homes with dogs and an armed citizenry thwarted a criminal.

Cats would have pointed out the valuables.

Happy Nomad on November 11, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Come y’all I’m disappointed no one went here;

Never Bring A Knife To A Gun Fight

D-fusit on November 11, 2014 at 4:58 PM

You trying to help Robert’s defense team? He was disadvantaged by only having a knife when his intended victims had guns? It’s a disparity that hurts criminals.

Happy Nomad on November 11, 2014 at 5:38 PM

I agree with Happy Nomad, there needs to be an Program to redress this disparity…ObamaPhone & ObamaGun…gun owners pay a nominal tax on their ammunition purchases to allow the Federal Government to provide firearms to the underprivileged!

Happy Nomad, I salute you!

JFKY on November 11, 2014 at 5:52 PM

I guess the punk didn’t feel lucky.

whatcat on November 11, 2014 at 5:53 PM

Cats would have pointed out the valuables.

Happy Nomad on November 11, 2014 at 5:33 PM

True – but the only thing we consider valuable is tuna.

DamnCat on November 11, 2014 at 6:02 PM

I’m glad this kid is ok.
But he’s lucky he is.
However much truth there is to the Gun Lobby’s (NRA) narrative here, it’s a nowhere near as common a story as a kid getting hurt or killed by that same gun in the house.
The other day, a 15 year old kid in Buffalo – an avid hunter and well trained in the use of guns – accidentally shot and killed his friend while showing him a gun.
If Jazz or the NRA were inclined to share and publicize these stories as well, they’d have plenty more to write about.
But they pay no mind to those much more frequent stories.

verbaluce on November 11, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Darwin awardee waiting to happen.

Keep going kid, you will find the right place at some point and then you’ll be DRT*

*Dead Right There.

RealMc on November 11, 2014 at 6:29 PM

THis story is great and points out the value of having a home that is protected by firearms. But there is another home necessity hidden in this story that deserves mention too. It also makes good sense to ensure every home is armed with a dog or two.

gengwall on November 11, 2014 at 6:39 PM

/s

ThePrez on November 11, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Heh, but could you imagine how fast they would pee their pants when being confronted by a shotgun at the door?

HiJack on November 11, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Cats would have pointed out the valuables.

Happy Nomad on November 11, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Not my cats…they head for the hills at the first sniff or sound of a stranger. Now the neighbor’s dog on the other hand…. ;-)

Revelation21v3n4 on November 11, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Baghdad Roberts wasn’t thinking very clearly. Once the dogs were barking at the two homes he tried to rob, wouldn’t he think that the owners might wake up and confront him?

Roberts is lucky to be only in jail. He could have easily been dead.

Steve Z on November 11, 2014 at 6:50 PM

verbaluce on November 11, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Cite?

Revelation21v3n4 on November 11, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Later that same day after escaping from the police yet again our dim witted hero is at it again. He is determined to get that Darwin Award.

Oldnuke on November 11, 2014 at 6:53 PM

No numb-nuts! If he was ‘well trained’, this would not have happened. Or did the weapon decide to go off all by itself while pointing itself at the friend?

GarandFan on November 11, 2014 at 6:58 PM

verbaluce on November 11, 2014 at 6:26 PM

I have it on good authority from my step neighbor in law’s second wife’s third cousin that she heard that wild rabid buffaloes stomped fifteen hundred illegal aliens with AIDS to death for trying to eat their grass while crossing the border into Kansas from Puerto Rico. Happened at the same time your anecdote did…”The other day.” Coincidence? I think not your story took place in Buffalo and mine involved a herd of illegal aliens allegedly killed by buffalo. Did anyone in your story have AIDS? That would clinch it as being a conspiracy.

Oldnuke on November 11, 2014 at 7:01 PM

They say if you speak verbie’s name once, he appears. (this ain’t Beetlejuice)

Judge_Dredd on November 11, 2014 at 7:10 PM

But they pay no mind to those much more frequent stories.

verbaluce on November 11, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Yeah I’m sure there are lots more kid gets accidentally shot with own gun than there are armed folk thwart criminals. I’m sure that in order to support your stupid assertion, mindless drivel, moronic rhetoric well thought out and succinct point you will post a link backing up your position. Right?

Oldnuke on November 11, 2014 at 7:13 PM

I’m glad this kid is ok.
But he’s lucky he is.
But they pay no mind to those much more frequent stories.

verbaluce on November 11, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Pathetic.

I schooled you in the other thread already on this point, but you choose to remain deliberately ignorant of the facts.

NotCoach on November 11, 2014 at 7:24 PM

verbaluce

Your village is looking for you……….

RealMc on November 11, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Never forget which party still wants to take legal weapons from law abiding citizens.

bogeyman on November 11, 2014 at 8:24 PM

I’m glad this kid is ok.
But he’s lucky he is.
But they pay no mind to those much more frequent stories.

verbaluce on November 11, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Are you going to post some proof of your assertions? No? Right. Because you are factually incorrect.

As for the kid in Buffalo, we have a classic case of Leftist cognitive dissonance. The kid cannot be well-trained in the use of firearms and have accidentally killed his friend with one. The kid broke at least 3 of the 4 most basic rules of gun safety.

1. The gun is always loaded. Even if it is not loaded, it is to be treated as if it is loaded. [broken]

2. Never point a gun at anything you do not wish to kill or otherwise destroy. [broken]

3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you have acquired your target and are ready to fire. [broken]

4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it. [irrelevant]

You have been schooled on these principles time and time again, yet you refuse to listen, preferring to cling to your discredited myths.

Serious Drivel on November 11, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on November 11, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Normally a punk-w-knife threat requires a two-mag, 34-round cop interdiction. Lucky punk.

Jumpintimmy on November 11, 2014 at 9:59 PM

Cats would have pointed out the valuables.
Happy Nomad on November 11, 2014 at 5:33 PM

I live in a basement with my Harvard-educated, jobless, idiot owner.

What’s a “valuable?”

nonpartisans tabbycat on November 11, 2014 at 11:01 PM

“Obviously that child was planning a strike against a local education center and the “robber” was simply warning the cops of an impending active shooter, he should get a parade!”

Ebola on November 12, 2014 at 1:23 AM

School authorities surmised that because the 15-yo was writing an email to his teachers that he was technically on “school’s time” (they used the precedent of Mr. Hand’s exchange with Spickoli as their example). The school further determined that the student and was breaking the zero-tolerance rule when he picked up the gun, and summarily and permanently expelled the student from the school district. One of the student council members asked during the hearing, “What if that student came to school with that gun and started shooting everyone???”

RedManBlueState on November 12, 2014 at 3:20 AM

Yes, it’s not fair. The victims should only have knives.

CW on November 12, 2014 at 7:23 AM

Amazing how the lefties back the criminal until they are a victim then it’s the governments fault they were the victim. No chance of changing the spots on a leopard.

mixplix on November 12, 2014 at 7:39 AM

verbaluce on November 11, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Pathetic.

NotCoach on November 11, 2014 at 7:24 PM

“There are none so blind as…”

These idiots aren’t teachable, because they’re lying to begin with, and know they’re lying, and will simply – as you see here – show up at the next opportunity to tell the same bald-faced lies again and again.

You’re not telling any of these douche trolls anything they don’t already know.

Midas on November 12, 2014 at 7:57 AM

Seriously – if verbaluce, libfree and the rest *were* teachable, they’d be conservative by now, with the countless wtfpwning and factual rebuttals they’ve received after posting their reliably inane rantings.

They aren’t teachable, they won’t be educated, and they’ll be back indefinitely to keep bleating the same nonsense over and over again.

#dontfeedtrolls

Midas on November 12, 2014 at 7:59 AM

#dontfeedtrolls

Midas on November 12, 2014 at 7:59 AM

no, but you can mock them

#mocktrolls

Lord Whorfin on November 12, 2014 at 8:12 AM

That community is lucky their armed neighbors are competent if their cops are this clueless. They didn’t even lock the guy in the car? Sheesh.

Am I the only one who read “I was home sending an email to my teachers about homework” and thought, “Yeah, sure, that was just what you were doing on your computer”? Fifteen year old boy home alone with hours of free time? Yep, homework.

inmypajamas on November 12, 2014 at 8:43 AM

Twelve years old, I and all the friends I knew of same age, got rifles for birthday presents. Which we would and did use responsibly because all our homes had shotguns behind the front doors if not several other rifles and handguns in the home.

That’s how things work well when you’re raised with guns and taught how to use them properly, and when.

This kid is one of those who was.

Lourdes on November 12, 2014 at 10:16 AM

HiJack on November 11, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Democrats recommend that the crime victims pee in their pants.

scrubjay on November 12, 2014 at 10:27 AM

I’m glad this kid is ok.
But he’s lucky he is.
But they pay no mind to those much more frequent stories.

verbaluce on November 11, 2014 at 6:26 PM

The teen-aged avid hunter was killed while showing his friend a shotgun. There is no mention in the story as to who was actually holding the gun at the time. But the shotgun was for hunting, which means it most likely has a long enough barrel to make it difficult to allow the one holding it to easily shoot himself. No word as to exactly how it happened or if the friend had any gun knowledge.

Story here…

ROCnPhilly on November 12, 2014 at 1:13 PM

HiJack on November 11, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Democrats recommend that the crime victims pee in their pants.

scrubjay on November 12, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Well, they recommend that for a woman about to be raped to dissuade her attacker, for other victims they recommend you give their fellow democrat whatever he or she wants.

earlgrey on November 12, 2014 at 3:24 PM

verbaluce on November 11, 2014 at 6:26 PM

What do you mean by “as common a story “?
I can agree with that,IF … you meant that there are more stories proliferated and broadcast by our dominant culture of JOURNALISTS.
If all you’re trying to do, is stake the claim that “there are more NEWS STORIES about accidental shootings in the home” than there are about armed citizens successfully using guns against criminals, then I totally agree with you.

But you and I disagree on the conclusion that is to be drawn from that fact.

listens2glenn on November 12, 2014 at 11:15 PM