Welcome to your politically correct Halloween

posted at 8:41 am on October 31, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

Students at the University of Wisconsin got some helpful advice for trick or treating this year in an e-mail. (Hat tip to John J. Miller at the Corner.)

WEARING A FUNNY COSTUME?

Ask yourself: Is the humor based on “making fun” of real people, real human traits or cultures?Though intended to be funny, the “Mental Patient” costume by Disguise was considered demeaning, dehumanizing, and humiliating to individuals struggling with a mental illness and their families. Complete with a “Hannibal” type mask and a straightjacket, the costume reinforced stereotypes and fears about persons with mental illness.

WEARING A SCARY COSTUME?

Ask yourself: Is the “fear factor” based on real forms of violence or grotesque depictions of human traits? “This scary stud can empty out a full house just by walking through the door,” touts the tag line for Fright Catalog’s “Vato Loco” mask. The bandana clad, tattooed, brown-skinned vinyl creation makes light of gang violence, which takes a serious toll on families and neighborhoods across the country. The costume also sends the message that Latinos are violent.

WEARING A HISTORICAL COSTUME?

Ask yourself: If the costume is meant to be historical, does it further misinformation or historical and cultural inaccuracies? The “Indian” get-up prevails each year as culture-turned-costume. But did you know few Native Americans wore buckskin and headbands and even fewer wore them together? Did you know “war paint” and feathers carry religious meaning and were never worn by Native American children?

WEARING A “BEAUTIFUL” COSTUME?

Ask yourself: If the costume is meant to be beautiful, are these characteristics drawn from commercial references, such as movie characters? Too often, beautiful at Halloween means white, blonde, princess masks. What statement does your Halloween costume make about what constitutes beauty — and about who is beautiful and who isn’t?

This is pretty much the definition of why I came up with the #HeadDesk hashtag on Twitter.

What college students are wearing for costumes is, for the most part, not much of a concern. If they want to strike a blow to improve the world and lift up society, they might ask the students to get more involved in what their much younger siblings are being dressed up as. For example, rather than worrying about whether or not your native American headdress is culturally insensitive, you could ask whether or not it’s appropriate for your twelve year old sister to dress up like this.

Costumes

You could also make sure that none of your friends are out there taking advantage of the holiday by using costumes to commit crimes. For the most part, though, kids just want to go out and act silly and eat too much candy and have fun. If you can manage to not dress your tweenage daughters like they’re preparing for a career on the stripper pole and keep the kids in sight at all times to prevent abductions and attacks you’ll probably be fine.

Relax. It’s Halloween. Not everything has to be a war on something or someone.

Comments

Least PC Costumes of 2014:

Obola Obama

Obola Nurse

Obola victim…

ConstantineXI on October 31, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Go naked. Then you can offend just about everyone.

Walter L. Newton on October 31, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Ask Yourself: Are you a Liberal? If not, ignore this message.

PatriotRider on October 31, 2014 at 8:46 AM

For trick or treat tonight place two or more live lobsters atop the candy dish for the kids to reach around as they select their treat. Their reactions are priceless and best of all is the great dinner you will enjoy afterwards.

meci on October 31, 2014 at 8:47 AM

Halloween is another American Cultural icon that the Collective currently has under assault, along with Christmas, the NFL, sports mascots, fast food, soft drinks, etc.

Star Bird on October 31, 2014 at 8:55 AM

The University of Minnesota-Duluth encourages ‘respectful’ Halloween costumes – student told Pocahontas is ‘offensive’

Akzed on October 31, 2014 at 8:57 AM

Thinking back on the reaction my college buds would have had to something like this….I hope the current crop isn’t completely brainwashed.

ElectricPhase on October 31, 2014 at 8:58 AM

meci on October 31, 2014 at 8:47 AM

Trick or treat here was last night. My cats as usual cowered in the deepest, darkest corner of the house. For some reason people in costumes scare the crap out of them.

ConstantineXI on October 31, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Megyn Kellys Lipstick on October 31, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Oh, don’t dare complain about the children/pre-teen outfits or else you’re “slut shaming”.

Oh to be a highschool boy now. All you need to do to find out which girls in your school are easy is see which ones complain about “slut shaming” on facebook. Posts about “don’t judge me” are usually a big givaway as well.

DethMetalCookieMonst on October 31, 2014 at 8:58 AM

I’m planning to dress up as the most vile and offensive creature in America…a white, heterosexual, Christian, conservative male. Liberal…

Megyn Kellys Lipstick on October 31, 2014 at 8:58 AM

FIFY…

PatriotRider on October 31, 2014 at 9:03 AM

Go naked. Then you can offend just about everyone.

Walter L. Newton on October 31, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Speak for yourself. I get wolf whistles. And besides, it’s a costume. I’m ‘dressing’ up like South American Indian men who wear nothing except a small bandana tied to, um, “there”. (shrinkage preventer?)

Is that offensive to them? (They are a minority, and I realize only minority opinion matters)

Squiggy on October 31, 2014 at 9:05 AM

Least PC Costumes of 2014:

Obola Obama

Obola Nurse

Obola victim…

ConstantineXI on October 31, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Freelance Jihadist

UnstChem on October 31, 2014 at 9:05 AM

Oh, just forget about it, stay home and watch reruns of 2 and a half men, er, 2 broke girls, er, the Jeffersons, er, well, just sit alone in the dark.

Kissmygrits on October 31, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Yeah, I remember Halloween in college. It was some of the sickest stuff I’d seen. I still remember this one liberal guy who dressed like a mother who just aborted her baby. He/she was covered in blood and had a bloody baby attached to him/her via an umbilical cord. Liberals like to be “edgy”.

Free Indeed on October 31, 2014 at 9:07 AM

Go naked. Then you can offend just about everyone.

Walter L. Newton on October 31, 2014 at 8:45 AM

This is it.I’m going as Dirk Diggler.

docflash on October 31, 2014 at 9:08 AM

I don’t have to dress up, I’m already vaguely scary looking, not creepy just sort of scary.

The wife and I will do what we do every year.

I have a sheet of paper on my chest with an “E” on it, I’m an emale.

My wife has a sheet of paper on her with “IN” on it, she’s an inbox.

Bishop on October 31, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Splitting the difference. The better half is going as a virgin white mummy. I’m going as a upcycled/recycled brown mummy.

Bmore on October 31, 2014 at 9:15 AM

No mention of not dressing up as ISIS.

Patriot Vet on October 31, 2014 at 9:16 AM

My wife has a sheet of paper on her with “IN” on it, she’s an inbox.

Bishop on October 31, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Hmm. Sounds like someone I wouldn’t mind meeting.

Nomennovum on October 31, 2014 at 9:17 AM

Go naked. Then you can offend just about everyone.

Walter L. Newton on October 31, 2014 at 8:45 AM

I hope that suggestion doesn’t reach Lena Dunham or Debbie Wasserman-Schultz. They’d scare the p*ss out of the neighbors.

Athanasius on October 31, 2014 at 9:25 AM

I’m going to wear a white t-shirt with “LIFE” written on the front, and hand out lemons.

JetBoy on October 31, 2014 at 9:26 AM

I give out candy, and this year is no different…

well, aside from me planning on dressing up as the Ebola Virus,
to scare the hell out of the Adults who bring their kids to
our house…Daughter told me “Dad, don’t even think about it”

So, there goes that fun…..

ToddPA on October 31, 2014 at 9:28 AM

My wife has a sheet of paper on her with “IN” on it, she’s an inbox.

Bishop on October 31, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Hmm. Sounds like someone I wouldn’t mind meeting.

Nomennovum on October 31, 2014 at 9:17 AM

O.K., then….

ToddPA on October 31, 2014 at 9:29 AM

. . . . . Relax. It’s Halloween. Not everything has to be a war on something or someone.

Jazz Shaw on October 31, 2014 at 8:41 AM

Halloween is not about the costumes, or the “Trick or Treating.”

The whole “celebration and partying, with a macabre theme” is just COVER … for really horrible and disgraceful activities.
(Fast FWD to the 4:40 min mark)

listens2glenn on October 31, 2014 at 9:29 AM

If you have to be told something is offensive, it isn’t.

Axe on October 31, 2014 at 9:29 AM

Halloween is not about the costumes, or the “Trick or Treating.”

Yeah, it is.

(Fast FWD to the 4:40 min mark)

listens2glenn on October 31, 2014 at 9:29 AM

Lighten up, huh? What’s next…Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny are really demonic entities? Sheesh.

JetBoy on October 31, 2014 at 9:34 AM

listens2glenn on October 31, 2014 at 9:29 AM

Halloween is not a cover for human sacrifice.

Axe on October 31, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Hmm. Sounds like someone I wouldn’t mind meeting.

Nomennovum on October 31, 2014 at 9:17 AM

Jerk

UnstChem on October 31, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Dress your kid up as Elizabeth Warren and watch the Libs decide whether you’re making a nuanced statement about Native-American culture.

DaveDief on October 31, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Hmm. Sounds like someone I wouldn’t mind meeting.

Nomennovum on October 31, 2014 at 9:17 AM

It would be quite the spectacle.

Bishop on October 31, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Fine. I’ll do it myself.

If you have to be told something is offensive, it isn’t.

Axe on October 31, 2014 at 9:29 AM

Why, sir, that’s nonsensical rubbish! A person might need to be told about the sensibilities of others, having no sense for their sensitivities.

Axe on October 31, 2014 at 9:46 AM

If you have to be told something is offensive, it isn’t.

Axe on October 31, 2014 at 9:29 AM

Axe on October 31, 2014 at 9:46 AM

No, that’s my point. The whole mechanism of “offense,” in this context, is backwards. It’s about controlling or being controlled by others, answering to their sensitivities.

I’ll thank you not to characterize my remarks as “rubbish.”

Axe on October 31, 2014 at 9:48 AM

I’ll thank you not to characterize my remarks as “rubbish.”

Axe on October 31, 2014 at 9:48 AM

I apologize. I don’t know that I agree with you, but I was overly emphatic.

Axe on October 31, 2014 at 9:49 AM

I apologize. I don’t know that I agree with you, but I was overly emphatic.

Axe on October 31, 2014 at 9:49 AM

Think nothing of it.

Axe on October 31, 2014 at 9:49 AM

I never understood why the swastika was frowned upon on Halloween. It’s an important historical symbol, which we fought against, and defeated. Or, for that matter, going as a member of the Klan would cause even more angst, anger, and even violence against you. But one costume I saw that the picture above reminded me of, that did upset me, was of John Wayne Gacy as a clown. He dressed up as a clown, he painted portraits of clowns, and he also killed some 40 boys and young men through sexual torture and then strangulation. I guess everyone has a costume that offends them.

LashRambo on October 31, 2014 at 9:53 AM

DethMetalCookieMonst on October 31, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Men who wanted social acceptance for never settling down and casual sex could not have invented a better social movement to achieve there ends than “feminism”. It’s funny watching feminists complaining about problems that they brought on themselves by attacking the family, gender roles, and masculinity etc.

gwelf on October 31, 2014 at 9:58 AM

You’re worried about whether your costume is politically correct, and not about the fact that they are charging SIXTY DOLLARS for an outfit your child will probably just wear the one time?

I have four boys spaced (on average) two years apart and I can’t even recycle costumes among them.

The Schaef on October 31, 2014 at 9:59 AM

My wife has a sheet of paper on her with “IN” on it, she’s an inbox.

Bishop on October 31, 2014 at 9:13 AM

That’s hilarious. :)

JetBoy on October 31, 2014 at 9:26 AM

So’s that. :)

Hmm. Sounds like someone I wouldn’t mind meeting.

Nomennovum on October 31, 2014 at 9:17 AM

. . . I don’t want to get banned today.

Axe on October 31, 2014 at 9:59 AM

I remember as a younger man attending a Halloween party where a girl was dressed as a tampon, I thought it was funny as hell.

The 3 white dudes all dressed identically as Buckwheat were a bit more….risqué, but I still laughed.

Bishop on October 31, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Halloween is not a cover for human sacrifice.

Axe on October 31, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Are you sure? Dammit, that ruins my plans!

katy the mean old lady on October 31, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Forget Halloween. Let’s listen to Helloween! \m/-_-\m/

DethMetalCookieMonst on October 31, 2014 at 10:04 AM

JetBoy on October 31, 2014 at 9:26 AM

Gotta hand it to you Jetboy,

This is damn good.

ToddPA on October 31, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Halloween is not a cover for human sacrifice.

Axe on October 31, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Are you sure? Dammit, that ruins my plans!

katy the mean old lady on October 31, 2014 at 10:02 A

That’s o.k. Katy….just dress up as Alan Greyson.

ToddPA on October 31, 2014 at 10:06 AM

That’s o.k. Katy….just dress up as Alan Greyson.

ToddPA on October 31, 2014 at 10:06 AM

There are some things even I won’t do.

katy the mean old lady on October 31, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Axe on October 31, 2014 at 9:49 AM

So you are going as a schizophrenic?

cptacek on October 31, 2014 at 10:40 AM

Dress up as Joe Biden. You can do or say anything you want. Liberals will cover your ass and the PC Police will be afraid to say anything.

GarandFan on October 31, 2014 at 10:49 AM

WEARING A FUNNY COSTUME?

WEARING A SCARY COSTUME?

WEARING A HISTORICAL COSTUME?

Ask yourself: If the costume is meant to be historical, does it further misinformation or historical and cultural inaccuracies?. . . But did you know few Native Americans wore buckskin and headbands and even fewer wore them together? Did you know “war paint” and feathers carry religious meaning and were never worn by Native American children?

WEARING A “BEAUTIFUL” COSTUME?

Ask yourself: If the costume is meant to be beautiful, are these characteristics drawn from commercial references, such as movie characters? . . . What statement does your Halloween costume make about what constitutes beauty — and about who is beautiful and who isn’t?

ATTENDING THE UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN?

Ask yourself: Is my money actually enabling someone to sit down and type these questions? And how do I really feel about human sacrifice? Is it ever justified? Is it justified now?

Axe on October 31, 2014 at 10:51 AM

So you are going as a schizophrenic?

cptacek on October 31, 2014 at 10:40 AM

No. We. Are. Not.

. . . too many arguments about who got what.

Axe on October 31, 2014 at 10:52 AM

In truth, this sort of hysterical PC probably WILL end up with human sacrifice.

I see it used by precisely the same shrieking adolescent female personality types who accused Sarah Good and Susannah Martin of witchcraft back in the day.

/if you don’t weigh more than a duck, baby, you’re in trouble.

Dolce Far Niente on October 31, 2014 at 11:03 AM

If you have to be told something is offensive, it isn’t.

Axe on October 31, 2014 at 9:29 AM

Put it on a t-shirt.

AesopFan on October 31, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Akzed on October 31, 2014 at 8:57 AM

Elizabeth Warren hardest hit!!

landlines on October 31, 2014 at 11:29 AM

#HeadDesk

Nice.

Count to 10 on October 31, 2014 at 11:34 AM

The most popular costume should be a pitchfork, a torch and a map of the local mosques.

[email protected] on October 31, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Well, except when they were.

GAbred on October 31, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Original GhostBusters Theme Song

. . . I’m sorry. I’m just excited.

Axe on October 31, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Was complaining to spouse last night about how the left ruins things these days by making everything political, and now this comes along and proves my point.
It’s funny, when I was a kid Halloween WAS for kids. We dressed in fun costumes and ran around the neighborhood blissfully unsupervised, hoping we’d get a haul of mostly chocolate candy instead of Necco wafers (how I hated finding those in my bag at the end of the evening). The worst we had to fear was razor blades hidden in apples, and I’ve since wondered if that was more of an urban myth. It was generally accepted that your last Trick or Treat would be when you were 12. Unlike some of the hulking teenagers we get now ringing our doorbell.
I guess Halloween at the turn of the last century was entirely different–still for kids, but no treats given out–just kids in costume going around playing pranks on the neighbors. There’s a scene in the Judy Garland movie, “Meet Mr In St Louis,” that documents this.

theotherone on October 31, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Whoops, should be “Meet Me In St. Louis.”

theotherone on October 31, 2014 at 12:16 PM

truth, this sort of hysterical PC probably WILL end up with human sacrifice.
/if you don’t weigh more than a duck, baby, you’re in trouble.
Dolce Far Niente on October 31, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Don’t forget Rebecca Nurse, as her being one of my relatives the whole witch thing could be seen as offensive to me. Thank god I don’t ask others to celebrate according to my own beliefs

19thgenamerican on October 31, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Not everything has to be a war on something or someone.

You need to qualify that statement. If you’re a Dhimmicrat Libtard, everything is a war on something or someone. Dhimmi’s are forever seeking offended ‘victims’ to ‘defend’.

oldleprechaun on October 31, 2014 at 2:04 PM

We need to quit beating around the bush and just change the name to dress sexy day. It is funny thought, that 95% of the Halloween costumes can only be pulled off by 5% of the women.

DFCtomm on October 31, 2014 at 7:38 PM