Matt Lewis shames the press for laughing at Bristol Palin’s physical assault

posted at 8:01 am on October 23, 2014 by Noah Rothman

Apparently, the usual sober and fraught political commentary that often accompanies episodes of physical violence directed toward women disappears when the subject of that violence is a Palin.

The political press had a hearty chuckle at the expense of the Palins when it first broke that the former first family of Alaska was involved in an alcohol-fueled brawl. The “thrilla in Wasilla,” some called it. One might, however, have expected the laughter to die down after local police released audio of Bristol Palin who described through hysterical tears how she had been assaulted, dragged through the grass, and robbed. It did not.

“[E]very time you see John McCain on television, remember that this is what he intended to bring within a heart beat of the presidency,” wrote a pathologically obsessed Andrew Sullivan in reaction to the audio which purports to reveal a physical assault. “This is the man’s judgment. As he lectures us about the need for more wars, and the Beltway media kowtows to his authority, remember that.”

National Review’s Charles C. W. Cooke noted that Sullivan has heaped far less scorn on the sitting vice president whose son was recently revealed to have engaged in illegal activities which resulted in his discharge from the Navy – activities for which “he is unlikely to face so much as an interview with the police.” How’s that for inequality?

But Cooke focuses primarily on an even stronger point, one which was first observed by The Daily Caller’s Matt Lewis: Where are the feminists rending garments over the callous way in which a physical assault on a woman by a man is being portrayed in the press?

“Anyone who is concerned about a ‘war on women’ — but not disturbed by this report — is clearly biased,” Lewis wrote.

Enter CNN anchor Carol Costello.

“I never wanted to become the poster child for anything, let alone domestic violence. But my blood is boiling, so when I say shut up, I’m venting at all those people out there who insist on blaming the victim,” Costello wrote with righteous fury directed at the National Football League (and the morning show Fox & Friends) over what she considered an insufficient level of concern for an incident involving Ray Rice striking his fiancé.

Costello goes on to reveal that she, too, was the victim of what sounds like a horrible assault by her college boyfriend. It was a brave thing for her to admit, and it made her commentary on the lax treatment Rice received from the NFL that much more powerful. But this admission also branded her take on the Palin assault as one which is inexplicably hypocritical.

“Sit back and enjoy!” Costello exclaimed as she introduced her audience recently to the audio in which Bristol Palin recounts how she was attacked. “You’ll want to hear what she told cops about how it all started.”

Costello also confided in her audience that she had a “favorite part” of the audio which could later become courtroom evidence. Ghoulish.

The overwhelming sense of superiority some in the press feel toward the Palins simply clouds their better judgment. Costello would surely see the error of her ways if she were to read her disparate reactions to these two strikingly similar events, but, in the heat of the moment, she did not see Sarah Palin’s daughter as a women who had endured a physical assault; she saw her as a caricature worthy of mockery.

In an appearance on MSNBC on Thursday morning, Lewis joined a group of contrite Morning Joe hosts who conceded that they, too, initially covered the Palin “brawl” as a joke. “It did definitely have a humorous tone to it,” Brzezinski conceded. Lewis had shamed them into penitence.

“What happened to her is horrific, and I don’t think we should be joking about it,” Lewis said to the somber nods of his interlocutors.

For six years now, the Palin family has created a blind spot for the press, but only in recent years – since the 2012 election, in fact – has the left elevated tenets of the “war on women” to a position of near religious reverence. In the light of the new ecclesiastical codes of behavior this new philosophy imposes on its adherents, the actions of former President Bill Clinton in his relationship with Monica Lewinsky become far less forgivable. Similarly, the treatment the Palin’s have received from those in positions of power is viewed as reprehensible.

Maybe Republicans are going to learn to love this “War on Women” after all.

This post has been updated since its original publication.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

6 0 0 !

listens2glenn on October 24, 2014 at 11:18 PM

Anti-Cyclonic

listens2glenn on October 24, 2014 at 11:18 PM

Anti-Cyclonic

listens2glenn on October 24, 2014 at 11:18 PM

The Palins are drunken, foul-mouthed fools, who bear false witness against others, and you want to act like a child about it…you’re an enabler, too.

Anti-ControI on October 25, 2014 at 2:27 AM

SMH

What a childish maroon.

Christien on October 25, 2014 at 2:55 AM

What a childish maroon.

Christien on October 25, 2014 at 2:55 AM

I guess I’d be more mature in your eyes if I started cussing up a storm, getting plastered into oblivion, tried instigating fights with others, and attacked anyone who criticized me over such behavior…yes, you sure are childish alright! :)

Anti-ControI on October 25, 2014 at 3:00 AM

Again, why are you childless?

Christien on October 25, 2014 at 3:02 AM

*rhetorical

Christien on October 25, 2014 at 3:03 AM

listens2glenn on October 24, 2014 at 11:18 PM

Anti-ControI on October 25, 2014 at 2:27 AM

Alcoholics ? … Rarely sober ? … Can’t converse without expletives ?

You aren’t qualifying that statement worth a penny.

I’m going to hold their feet to the fire . . . . . I want their explanation (from any of them) for why the police report says what it does.

but I doubt it will change my opinion of Sarah as a leader and standard bearer for the conservative political movement.

Personally, I believe you are more pissed-off by her Christianity, than any behavior/actions her kids have purported. Even if the whole family really were really, truly “pure as the wind driven snow,” you’d still be bad-mouthing her … trying your best to convince all Hotair readers that she’s the worst thing that’s happened to the conservative movement, and that we all need to totally disassociate ourselves from her.

How close am I ?

listens2glenn on October 25, 2014 at 3:38 AM

Alcoholics ? … Rarely sober ? … Can’t converse without expletives ?

You aren’t qualifying that statement worth a penny.

Pull your head out of the sand. Listen to the police audio. They are violent, foul-mouthed drunks – it’s not conjecture on my part. The way they carried on that night wasn’t a spontaneous, one-time event, and it wouldn’t have gone on had Todd and Sarah raised their kids to know better.

That kind of behavior simply does not come out of nowhere – I’ve been aware of it since 2008, when I first read about Track’s aggressive behavior while playing hockey. They need an intervention.

How close am I ?

listens2glenn on October 25, 2014 at 3:38 AM

Not close at all.

She is noted for her outspoken Christianity, and I expect them to act like Christians because of that. Her family is out of control, and you’ve decided to go along with the Palinistas instead of people like me, who point out that it’s very foolish to put the Palins on a pedestal. This says you’re an enabler – accept the truth about yourself.

Anti-ControI on October 25, 2014 at 3:55 AM

listens2glenn on October 25, 2014 at 3:38 AM

You’ve decided to go along with the Palinistas instead of people like me, who point out that it’s very foolish to put the Palins on a pedestal. This says you’re an enabler – accept the truth about yourself.

Anti-ControI on October 25, 2014 at 3:55 AM

Whoa there, cowboy . . . . . no one is putting the family (all inclusive) on any pedestal.

Just Sarah and Todd . . . . . the behavior of their older, adult children be damned.
Strictly speaking, I am a PROUD “enabler” of Sarah Palin, and will remain so until I’m given better reasons for putting a halt to my “enabling”, than anything you have presented thus far.

listens2glenn on October 25, 2014 at 4:12 AM

listens2glenn on October 25, 2014 at 4:12 AM

You can’t really be this delusional, can you? Kind of explains things…wow. Oh well. :)

Anti-ControI on October 25, 2014 at 4:19 AM

Sarah Palin
14 hrs ·

I thought I’d seen it all, but this one leaves me with that punch-in-the-gut, flabbergasted shock that I can’t shake anymore while witnessing the media’s free fall into that damaging darkness covering America. The media is at fault for so many aspects of the division and hopelessness running rampant in our society. It’s not the people – it’s the media perpetuating a sense of injustice and despair, resulting in apathy or desperation in homes and communities all across our country. The degradation falls on your shoulders, media principals. Though many have tried to give CNN the benefit of the doubt with their overall news coverage (in fact I’ve even been happy to publicly point out issues CNN has fairly covered), shame on us if we continue to support their unprofessional, hypocritical, and unethical news coverage. It’s truly sickening, yet strangely laughable, their underestimation of the wisdom of their audience. Compare these two videos Bristol highlighted in her latest blog post:

This example makes me physically sick because they spit in the face of every American who has fought for freedom and sacrificed to protect everyone’s First Amendment rights. It’s not because this issue involves my daughter; it’s because Carol Costello, her ilk, and her boss are disgustingly dismissive and disrespectful of the sacrifices made that allow them a platform from which to broadcast their hate and stupidity. CNN is lucky to have their few outstanding employees that shine through the darkness that is CNN. I admire the good ones, and hope they land at more deserving companies when CNN goes under. Zucker, not for my sake, but for the sake of a cornerstone of our democracy—the press—get ahold of your underlings. They make you look really, really bad, and they are ruining America.

– Sarah Palin

renalin on October 25, 2014 at 6:40 AM

Anti-control, your comments are pathetic.

hawkdriver on October 25, 2014 at 8:37 AM

listens2glenn on October 25, 2014 at 4:12 AM

Anti-ControI on October 25, 2014 at 4:19 AM

I don’t believe I am “delusional” … however, I have an obvious ‘bias’ on that account, so I won’t look for any credence from you.
Your attempted claim that us “Palinistas” hold the entire family up, as a “standard” for all Christian conservatives to conform to, is pure “straw.”

listens2glenn on October 25, 2014 at 9:57 AM

[…]

Anti-ControI on October 25, 2014 at 3:55 AM

Rice and his fiance were drunk too. Does that somehow excuse their behaviour in your eyes? Or do you reserve that only for drunks who beat Republican women?

Voyager on October 25, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Anti-control, your comments are pathetic.

hawkdriver on October 25, 2014 at 8:37 AM

That did it – I’m speechless now!

I apologize for all the criticisms I’ve made of the Palins…I now realize people like you are correct, that their drunken, foul-mouthed escapades should be treated as a gold standard of admirable behavior. :)

Anti-ControI on October 25, 2014 at 10:16 AM

another great facebook post by Sarah.
Why aren’t the passports of Americans who fight for ISIS taken away?

Prescient Palin!!!!

renalin on October 25, 2014 at 10:19 AM

I don’t believe I am “delusional” …

OF COURSE you don’t! :D

listens2glenn on October 25, 2014 at 9:57 AM

After seeing that response, combined with this comment of yours,

no one is putting the family (all inclusive) on any pedestal.

Just Sarah and Todd

this is too much for me to take seriously.

You and I are operating on different planes on reality – you are more tolerant of abusive behavior than I am, and you don’t see a problem with your position. I feel there is nothing more for us to discuss about this.

Good luck with the choice you’ve made here. :)

Anti-ControI on October 25, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Voyager on October 25, 2014 at 10:11 AM

I don’t buy Bristol’s story – I think it’s a load of manipulative crap. So, try your premise elsewhere…

Anti-ControI on October 25, 2014 at 10:31 AM

What an admirable young woman.

Her mom must be so proud.

;)

renalin on October 25, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Voyager, I think I should tell I believe Bristol’s story of what happened to her at that brawl has as much credibility as Hillary’s corkscrew landing in Tuzla…

Anti-ControI on October 25, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Scrumpy, you getting any of this?

Bmore on October 25, 2014 at 11:41 AM

[…]

Anti-ControI on October 25, 2014 at 3:55 AM

Voyager on October 25, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Listen to the witnesses giving their testimony to the police….
The homeowner was a “complete gentleman.” He “never laid a hand on her” Bristol punched in over and over again.

Every witness testimony proves Bristol was clearly lying to the police. Not ONE of them backs up her story.

RUexperienced on October 25, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Scrumpy, you getting any of this?

Bmore on October 25, 2014 at 11:41 AM

I am. It’s kinda hard to miss, no? LOL

Missing you, Bmore. . .

Visit, eh?

Opinionator on October 25, 2014 at 1:24 PM

WE GOT PASSED FOUR DIGITS !

listens2glenn on October 25, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Sarah was blood libeled by obama and she still stands.

Bristol is being libeled by the left and she still stands.

Get use to trolls.

The Palins are here to stay.

America’s Family!

renalin on October 25, 2014 at 5:07 PM

“The Palins aren’t alcohol abusers who make an ambarrassing spectacle out of themselves with Springer-worthy behavior – anyone who says so must be an antiChrist!” -stupid lying Palinistas everywhere.

Track is a real winner, obviously. Need some evidence? :)

“He[his friend Steve Lebida]’s like a little pussy you know what I’m saying?” Track told the officer. “Like he’s not gonna fight nobody. Most innocent, basically a gay guy, but he’s not.”

“I just bought this brand new shirt, so I took it off. I don’t want to rip it,” Track tells the officer. “Let’s f*cking fight. Four guys came on me, I hit one. One picked me up, tackled me, I hit one.”

“If it was one-on-one, I’d beat the sh!t out of them,” he said. “One-on-one, like I’ll beat their ass. I’m not trying to be gay or nothing. But they’re four guys, man, like come on. I’ve done jujitsu my whole life, wrestled forever. Like let’s f*cking roll.”

[email protected] excuses some of you are willing to make for this kind of trashiness…

Anti-ControI on October 25, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Track is a real winner, obviously. Need some evidence? :)

“He[his friend Steve Lebida]’s like a little p*ssy you know what I’m saying?” Track told the officer. “Like he’s not gonna fight nobody. Most innocent, basically a gay guy, but he’s not.”

“If it was one-on-one, I’d beat the sh!t out of them,” he said. “One-on-one, like I’ll beat their @ss. I’m not trying to be gay or nothing. But they’re four guys, man, like come on. I’ve done jujitsu my whole life, wrestled forever. Like let’s f*cking roll.”

Anti-ControI on October 25, 2014 at 5:40 PM

New Costello’s-a-loser thread o’er yonder—->

Christien on October 25, 2014 at 6:41 PM

The best part of the recording of drunken Track was when he misspelled his last name to the police officer.

The policeman said, “P-A-L-I-M-I-N-O? Palimino?”

Todd Palin had to step in at that point and say, “No. The name is Palin…. Palin.”

The lowest point of the recordings is where drunken 20 year old Willow Palin got mad at the police and said, “You f-ing pig…. You f-ing pig…. You are a f-ing pig for taking their side.”

Alaska Dispatch News has the recording if anyone has the stomach to listen to it.

RUexperienced on October 26, 2014 at 8:13 PM

RUexperienced on October 26, 2014 at 8:13 PM

All indications practically scream “Willow was DRUNK !” … But I have yet to hear that she was charged as being underage. Was it in that report, and I somehow read past it ?

listens2glenn on October 26, 2014 at 9:48 PM

listens2glenn on October 26, 2014 at 9:48 PM

It was the police officer who ID’d Willow as drunk, not me. Read the report.

And Willow probably didn’t get a MIP for the same reason that Joe Biden’s kids didn’t get arrested for coke.

RUexperienced on October 27, 2014 at 11:13 AM