Pew survey: “Consistent liberals” most likely to block others on social media for disagreeing with them politically

posted at 11:21 am on October 21, 2014 by Allahpundit

The ostensible takeaway from this Pew mega-poll is that left- and right-wing partisans are alarmingly self-segregating in their media consumption, leading to bitterness, suspicion, and political paralysis.

The actual takeaway? Liberals are jerks. Jerks, I say:

libblock

Consistent liberals are also the most likely faction to drop someone as a friend over politics, although their lead over consistent conservatives is more modest on that point (24 percent to 16 percent). Consider all of this corroboration for the old saw that conservatives think most liberals are naive whereas liberals think most conservatives are evil. If you’re the kind of lefty who finds this pitch persuasive, why wouldn’t you dump your righty friends?

You know what’s most interesting about this result, though? It’s not liberals who are the most cloistered when it comes to digesting opposing political views. I would have guessed that contempt for one’s opponents goes hand-in-hand with avoiding exposure to their viewpoint; if your neighbor Bob is to be shunned because he votes Republican, naturally all Republicans and the media they patronize are to be shunned. And yet:

confriendsmostlycontalk

Consistent conservatives lead consistent liberals by double digits when asked if most of their close friends share their political views. “Mostly” conservatives lead “mostly” liberals by double digits too. Fully 94 percent of consistent conservatives name at least one fellow conservative when asked about the three people with whom they most like to talk politics; that number is just 76 percent for consistent liberals vis-a-vis other liberals. The numbers for “mostly” conservatives are dramatic here too, with 82 percent naming at least one conservative friend (a higher percentage than the percentage of consistent liberals who talk with at least one liberal friend). That’s far more lopsided than mostly liberals, who are spread evenly among conservative, moderate, and liberal friends.

What explains all that? Lefties will argue, of course, that it’s because they have greater exposure to conservative views that they’re liberals. Touche, but it turns out conservatives have greater exposure to conservative views too and they’re still conservative. We need another explanation. Maybe it’s a matter of geography: If liberals tend to live in cities and conservatives tend to live in rural areas, it might be that urban liberals are more likely to run into conservatives among the many people they encounter in the city than rural conservatives are likely to encounter liberals in less populated areas. Or maybe it’s a matter of liberals simply enjoying engaging with their opponents more, for whatever reason. They’ve been hate-watching Fox News for years and hate-listening to Rush Limbaugh for decades. If you think you’ve got a monopoly on virtue, to the point where you’d feel inclined to drop a Facebook friend for the sin of being intractably conservative, go figure that you also might be more willing to do battle occasionally with the evildoers in your midst. Or, if you don’t like those half-assed theories, here’s one more: Maybe liberals are just less likely to perceive their liberal friends as liberal. Every time Gallup does a poll on party ID, something like 45 percent of Americans happily identify as “conservative” whereas just 20-25 percent identify as liberal. For whatever strange reason, probably as a sop to their supposed inherent reasonableness and impartial rationality, lots of lefties identify as moderates. Maybe some of the “moderate” friends with whom consistent liberals talk politics are really fellow liberals too.

Speaking of which, is Facebook the great equalizer in the age of media self-segregation? This graph gave me pause:

facebookmix

You can (mostly) avoid lefty viewpoints if you watch Fox all day and you can (totally) avoid righty viewpoints if you watch MSNBC, but you can’t avoid the other side if you’re in the fray on Facebook and friends with dozens of people, some of whom are bound to disagree with you. Facebook, which is more of a social platform than Twitter (which is more of a news platform, I think), might be America’s best bet at this point in getting people to consider different viewpoints, not only because of the sheer volume of perspectives being offered but because those perspectives come from people whom, unlike Rachel Maddow or Chris Hayes, you hold in some personal regard.

One more graphic, just because it’s fun:

media

Liberal audiences are spreading their time over many different sources, both overtly partisan and mainstream media outfits, while conservative audiences tend to stick to the overtly partisan ones. A lot of bias from “objective” news outlets over the years went into generating that result. It’s not ideal but it probably was inevitable.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

MarshFox

Bmore on October 21, 2014 at 1:08 PM

Have experienced this first hand, and it’s not just social media. It’s also casual acquaintances who simply stop talking to you. It’s an astounding phenomenon as if you dont even exist. Take this to the extreme and you have the soviet purges because people don’t matter only ideas.

The Commentator on October 21, 2014 at 1:09 PM

I’m not buying this – I have a rather large, personal email distribution list – started, maybe8-10 years ago. The only people who have asked to be removed are lefties. They were friends, or so I thought. I’ve lost “friends” once they discovered I was active in R politics. I was a single mom and “of course you’re a Democrat.” Well, no.

I usually talk politics w/ people who can handle both sides. In my personal experience, lefties don’t want to hear anything other than their view. So most of my political talk is with people who think like me.

As for leftes thinking they know both sides, I find that almost impossible to believe. Just recently there was a survey in NYC – on so many issues, lefties have no clue that there are other options. Thus, this expansion is just difficult to swallow. What is a lefty’s definition of “conservative?”

In addition, I see lack of knowledge of conservative views in my college students – many don’t even know there are other options. So, on a survey, it’s easy for them to say “I communicate with more people of the opposition” than they really do. AND, is their “communication” the classic lefty behavior of ramming stuff down the throats of the opposition?

Never did FB – too self-centered for me.

MN J on October 21, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Two obvious reasons conservatives are more likely to say they only talk politics with their own camp:
1. Liberals throw huge giddy fits if you so much as hint at a conservative opinion, and that kind of scene is aggravating.
2. Liberals tend to think moderates are conservative.

Count to 10 on October 21, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Make that “hissy fit”. Autocorrect.

Count to 10 on October 21, 2014 at 1:18 PM

there is no way I want anyone to know my political leanings.

Walter L. Newton on October 21, 2014 at 12:57 PM

There’s why you’ve only encountered “nice” liberals. They don’t know your political leanings, so they assume you are liberal. Many conservatives get along with liberals the same way.

yaedon on October 21, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Also, the corollary here is that conservatives tend to assume another person is probably liberal. Therefore, conservatives tend to not let others know they are conservative.

I think the biggest single reason for both of these assumptions is the constant and increasing drumbeat of liberalism that the national news media has been putting out for years and years.

yaedon on October 21, 2014 at 1:19 PM

I can see how “consistent liberals” would say they have “many” friends (“friends”?) who don’t share their views on politics.
For example, they might know some (otherwise) liberal friends who:
* Think Lena Dunham is annoying.
* Think Israel maybe should be allowed to defend themselves.
* Occasionally listen to country music.
* Go to church.
* Eat at Chick-fil-A.
* Buy their own birth control.
* Drive an SUV.
* Have 4+ children.
* Display an American flag on their property.

If you do one, maybe two, of the above things, they might still be your friend. They’re tolerant like that.

Herod on October 21, 2014 at 1:21 PM

You also have to take into account, what are liberals posting vs. what are conservatives posting?

note: these are straight from my feed.

Sample liberal post: Why Inequality Matters by Bill Gates (on linkedin)

Sample conservative post: Which magical creature are you?

triple on October 21, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Or something like “meanwhile the flu killed over a thousand people today and no one noticed”.

rogerb on October 21, 2014 at 1:23 PM

AP moans:
The actual takeaway? Liberals are jerks. Jerks, I say

Liberals wouldn’t be blocking conservatives if conservatives’ views weren’t so obnoxious and disgusting.

/You offend my sensibilities

LashRambo on October 21, 2014 at 1:25 PM

yaedon on October 21, 2014 at 1:19 PM

My editor is a liberal and she knows that on most fiscal issue, I lean conservative. But our paper doesn’t have an editorial section or any opinion pieces, so there is no oppertunity nor need for any of the content to be slanted one way or another.

And Park County is a big county, but the residents are a close knit community, spread among the mountain meadows and peaks. If you make a mistake or outright lie about something, it doesn’t take long for you to be called on it.

I think this is part of the major media problem. Their reporters and editors are removed from the people. The public is not going to get anywhere near your face in a big city or at a large news network.

Working for a smaller paper, in a community where the folks know where to find you, you tend to cross your “t’s” and dot your “i’s” and make sure your ducks are in a row before you publish something.

It’s refreshing really.

Walter L. Newton on October 21, 2014 at 1:25 PM

obama who?

Schadenfreude on October 21, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Honest. Conservatives acting like totalitarians.

Walter L. Newton on October 21, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Unfortunately, being conservative doesn’t automatically mean one believes in a free and open dialogue. It should, but it doesn’t.

I suspect the degree of open dialogue the average person (left or right) is willing to tolerate is generally inversely related to the perceived strength of that person’s positions among the general populace.

There are plenty of exceptions to this rule (i.e., many people just want to make a big splash or have an overriding intensity of belief),and there may actually be a bigger inherent tendency toward shouting down the opposition among leftists (I think there probably is, as shown in the PC movement). But, both sides are certainly capable of it.

yaedon on October 21, 2014 at 1:29 PM

For example, they might know some (otherwise) liberal friends who:
* Think Lena Dunham is annoying.
* Think Israel maybe should be allowed to defend themselves.
* Occasionally listen to country music.
* Go to church.
* Eat at Chick-fil-A.
* Buy their own birth control.
* Drive an SUV.
* Have 4+ children.
* Display an American flag on their property.

Herod on October 21, 2014 at 1:21 PM

You just described most of the liberals up here in Park County Colorado. Honestly, demographics have a lot to do with how liberal think and react.

You would be hard pressed to take the guns away from the liberals outside of the Denver and Boulder metro area.

You can’t always pigeonhole liberals. Depending where you’re looking at, there is crossover on political stances.

Most of the conservative up here are tree huggers. They care a lot about the environment and the land, wildlife and natural resources.

Walter L. Newton on October 21, 2014 at 1:30 PM

“Consistent conservatives lead consistent liberals by double digits when asked if most of their close friends share their political views. “Mostly” conservatives lead “mostly” liberals by double digits too.”
Anecdotally I can explain this.
I had a coworker who was liberal. We had the typical discussions you might have between two opposing views. While often the conversations would end with said person using personal attacks. At office functions or parties the coworker would consider me a friend and introduce me as such as if we were long time buddies. I did not consider them a friend and would often choose not to share things with them in the event that they would eventually use personal information against me.
I knew their life story and all about their friends, college life, hometown etc etc.
So basically while they chose to be insulting to others they didn’t view their actions as unfriendly or repulsive. They chose to believe we were friends despite burning that bridge long ago.

In short most liberals are delusional.

theguardianii on October 21, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Walter L. Newton on October 21, 2014 at 1:25 PM

If our national news outlets functioned as your employer does, the country would be much better off.

Also, the issue is more than just being removed from the people, though that is a big part of it. Another part of it is that “journalists” who lie or plagiarize or make a gross mistake are not held accountable as long as the lie/plagiarism/mistake furthers the favored political narrative of the media outlet, which is almost exclusively leftist on the national level.

Even worse, journalists who, while following the tenets of their profession, write truthful stories that hurt the favored political narrative are actively persecuted. See Sharyl Attkisson.

yaedon on October 21, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Walter L. Newton on October 21, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Most conservatives everywhere care about these things…our sin is that we don’t care about them in the national-media-approved “correct” way.

yaedon on October 21, 2014 at 1:46 PM

“Consistent” conservatives don’t use social media.

nobar on October 21, 2014 at 1:52 PM

They chose to believe we were friends despite burning that bridge long ago.

In short most liberals are delusional.

From the liberal perspective, he was doing “good works” in trying to convert you – something liberals find important if they can’t pigeonhole you as evil as soon as they meet you.

Conservatives, OTOH, just want to be left alone by leftwing partisans…

18-1 on October 21, 2014 at 1:57 PM

As a conservative, I can disagree with liberals and their philosophy. I find them misguided, and sometimes I question their sanity. However, liberals consider conservatives not only wrong, they find us EVIL. It is almost as if we go against their religion, and must be expunged.

Raquel Pinkbullet on October 21, 2014 at 2:00 PM

True dat

Hening on October 21, 2014 at 2:05 PM

From what I have seen with liberal in-laws, they can get pretty nasty and hurtful. My poor mother-in-law, who is conservative, has experienced it firsthand, from two of her children. They couldn’t just scroll over FB posts they didn’t like; they had to rip them, and her.

Ward Cleaver on October 21, 2014 at 2:06 PM

The only social media I’m on is Facebook, and I’ll admit that I “unfollow” friends who constantly post political comments (and, it turns out, that they are almost always liberal). I don’t block them or “unfriend” them, just stop following so their constant inane postings don’t show up on my timeline.

I do this because if I see something, I usually can’t help myself and respond – typically resulting in a flame war. And I don’t want to use Facebook that way – I simply want Facebook to be a place where I can keep in touch with family and old friends who don’t live near me any longer. I try not to post any political stuff on FB.

I have one uncle-in-law who is very Catholic, and posts a lot of religious stuff (which of course incorporates politics – abortion, homosexual marriage). That is the only person I can think of that posts conservative diatribes in Facebook amongst my FB friends (and a lot of family/friends are conservative). Yet, the liberals amongst my FB friends constantly seem to post their clichéd nonsense.

I do think – at least in my experience – that the left politicizes everything. they can’t help themselves but spew their clichéd arguments everywhere, no matter what.

Another example of liberals being unable to help themselves, I visit a pop culture site that discusses and critiques movies and TV shows and to a lesser extent, other pop culture stuff. I find that despite the posters on that site being overwhelmingly leftist, I have similar taste in movies and television. But over the course of the last couple of years, the site has become more and more a platform for spewing leftist nonsense. they can find racism or sexism in everything and can find a reason to spew leftism in relation to everything. It becomes absurd. They cannot simply engage in discussion about entertainment, their politics have to be involved.

Monkeytoe on October 21, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Anecdotally I can explain this.

In short most liberals are delusional.

theguardianii on October 21, 2014 at 1:36 PM

I have a similar story. A few liberal moms I sometimes interact with socially will sometimes spew leftwing talking points, most of the time I will just ignore it, but sometimes I will push back. The times I push back even so slightly the conversation will NOT end without me being personally attacked by the liberal moms. Some of the attacks I have experienced can be described as downright RACIST. A white liberal woman implying that, that I’m not “authentic” black, because I don’t live in the “projects.” (Despite having lived in the Pork and Beans section of Miami in the past) When I pointed this out, they DARED to say that ” I forgot where I came from”

After that incident, I was appalled that not even a few days later when we ran into each other again, they totally acted like we were still “best friends.”

Delusional doesn’t even begin to describe it.

Raquel Pinkbullet on October 21, 2014 at 2:18 PM

The online Seattle Times will delete your posts and ban you for any anti-Democrat or 0bama comments.
They also ban your IP address and your user name permanently.
My screen name, of course, got me banned in 1 day. Just the name.

It’s now a liberal echo chamber that… nobody reads.

Tard on October 21, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Almost all my conversations with liberal have been polite and productive. I’ve never been banned from a left leaning forum and almost all of the business people I deal with are liberal. Maybe we breed a better selection of liberal in Colorado, especially the ones that live outside of the Denver and Boulder metro area.

Walter L. Newton on October 21, 2014 at 12:51 PM

That’s because Liberals are polite to other liberals. You wouldn’t be aware of the vitriol because they save that for conservatives.

makattak on October 21, 2014 at 2:24 PM

I just don’t discuss politics on Facebook. And, I do have family members who will not watch Fox News.

SC.Charlie on October 21, 2014 at 3:06 PM

I lost at least a dozen FB “friends” during the 2012 election. And had one face to face confrontation in the grocery aisle at Wal-Mart. Leftists are unhinged from reality.

bigGwillie on October 21, 2014 at 4:08 PM

I only delete/block liberal ‘friends’ when they can’t keep themselves from reposting hyperpartisan stuff like it’s some sort of epiphany. I don’t care if my friends are liberal, I do care that they vomit liberal crap on my timeline.

James on October 21, 2014 at 4:30 PM

As a Reagan conservative, I’ve only had to use the block a couple of times. Those egregious violations were from clueless leftists who kept insisting (and insisting, and insisting) the rest us get on the “right side of history” and celebrate homosexual “marriage” because it would soon be the law of the land.

Citizen Jerry on October 21, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Out here in rural East Texas there are basically no liberals. My sister and BIL are bigtime libs, but they’ve learned to keep their mouths shut for the most part.

A while back I actually saw an Obama bumper sticker. It was kind of jarring.

trigon on October 21, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Never did FB – too self-centered for me.

MN J on October 21, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Obviously you haven’t been exposed to Facebook much.
It is what you make of it.
Sure, there are lots of silly girls posting selfies, but you don’t have to ever see them.
You just have to know a bit about how FB works to adjust what you see every day.

itsnotaboutme on October 21, 2014 at 6:04 PM

I think one thing that these figures fail to account for is the tradition that it is rude to talk politics. Hence, those at the traditional end of the spectrum might talk politics less with people who disagree with them than people they agree with.

I really don’t talk politics too much in my daily life. And when I’m at lunch with a group of people and some loud-mouth lib starts spewing a line of BS, I just smile or shrug my shoulders.

I used to get into it with libs, but there is too much identity to their politics. If I argue a lib into a corner, so they can’t say boo, I just overhear them repeating the same line of BS to other people when they think I can’t hear them (or don’t care), somewhere down the road. Or I would hear how rude or obsessed I was to continue a conversation about some crass pronouncement they opened the conversation up with.

Axeman on October 21, 2014 at 6:30 PM

The vast majority of people where I live are Hard Left, and slather their cars in Leftist campaign stickers.

Most likely it’s because where I live, there are ton of Lawyers and Union Workers (Teachers and Government Employees).

The vast majority of posts (from other people) on my FB feed are Hard Left, and most of them tend to say whenever I post anything they disagree with, that it’s “Insulting”, “Bigoted”, “Evil”, etc…

Especially when it comes to Transsexualism, which seems to be the pet issue for the vast majority of them…

HikaruKitsune on October 21, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Why am I unsurprised you cherry pick one point and ignore the whole picture?

Notice the question right above the one you focused on? Conservatives are more likely to only see posts from friends that reflect their world view. Put both points together an an overall picture emerges where liberals make friends with conservatives and sometimes later drop those friends due to political differences but conservatives simply don’t make friends with people outside their insular xenophobic world view at all.

Funny that when we consider all the data your point suddenly reverses itself and it looks an awful lot like conservatives are the jerks…

Tlaloc on October 21, 2014 at 6:36 PM

bigGwillie on October 21, 2014 at 4:08 PM

No doubt, remember when liberals really thought Obama would win in 2012 in a landslide no less?

Oh, wait.

Don’t we have direct irrefutable evidence that the right is unhinged from reality? And that being the case are you really sure you can judge who else is also unhinged?

Tlaloc on October 21, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Tlaloc on October 21, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Shorter: guessing something wrong unhinged from reality.

Liberals fainting at the presence of Obama -> cool.

Axeman on October 21, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on October 21, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Because Leftists are in total rebellion to God and have fashioned for themselves their own religion which, among sacraments (abortion,sodomy), tithes (taxes), priesthood (academicians/politicians), and moral codes (their rationalized behavior) they also proselytize trying to win converts to worship like them.

Conservatives often are Christians and thus Leftists are our tormentors. Libertarians who claim to be fiscal “conservatives” find much in common socially with the Leftist religion, sharing much in their own rebellion against the Created Order and thus they can claim to be friendly with an otherwise hostile group.

Leftists call Godly people “EVIL” despite their vehement denials of a transcendent, immutable moral code, because they know that Conservatives have a real meaning for the word “evil” and that meaning is often applied correctly to the moral behavior of Leftists, and “evil” in itself is that which is to be shunned. So naturally, the Leftists, wanting to hurt and “out-group” Conservatives will use whatever language (inappropriately) that they feel will hurt their ideological/moral opponents.

They did this crap in the Texas Capitol a while back over the abortion thing. There were Christians present, and the Leftists promptly chanting things that they stereotypically thought would bring grief and hurt to the Christians in attendance, so they began chanting “Hail Satan” thinking that this would magically wound and disperse the Christians in the group as if Christians were as the Wicked Witch of the West and their screaming buckets of water.

The reason why Conservatives don’t get along with Leftists is because Leftists thoroughly enjoy hurting people and inflicting pain and misery on whoever isn’t in lock-step with them.

Who wants to bring that upon themselves?

Reuben Hick on October 21, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Why am I unsurprised you cherry pick one point and ignore the whole picture?

Probably because you’ve misinterpreted the data.

Au contraire, mon frère. Here’s what actually happens.

Conservatives only see posts from friends that reflect their own views for two reasons.

First, because leftists are constantly baying at the moon over some activist wackoism, and it tends to litter up feeds with nonsense, so they unsubscribe in order to see valuable/interesting content.

Second, having experienced engaging with leftists in social media and receiving their responses, if a conservative has friends or family on social media, they ultimately come to learn that the best way to not offend their leftist friends/family, is to simply turn them off and ignore them. You simply remove the temptation to respond to their daily unhinged rants, thereby removing the chance to offend them, which is pretty much 100%.

The notion that conservatives have an insular xenophobic outlook is pure academic fantasy making. The fact that conservatives are more adventurous than liberals, would suggest that they’d be far more inclined to engage with folks who have different opinions provided they’re able to behave in a civilized manner, which of course leftists have repeatedly demonstrated that they’re utterly incapable of.

After all, what you’re proposing doesn’t make any sense anyway. If conservatives only see posts that fit their own world view, then how would they be able to make the comments on posts that would get them defriended by fascist leftists?

How many people have you blocked Tlaloc, for having political views contrary to your own?

Star Bird on October 21, 2014 at 6:59 PM

If not for Hot Air, I would not be on FB. I have a couple of libtard friends. But I deleted (not blocked) the ones who posted idiocy from pages like “Being liberal”.
However that Tlalockian dolt showed up and is now gonna regale us with abt 50 comments towards the end. But in the positive column, y’all ran triple off in a trice.

Judge_Dredd on October 21, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Oh, wait.

You do realize of course, that 51% does not constitute a landslide, right?

This is a landslide kid.

Just the opposite.

Remember, it is the left whose ideology was formed in the LSD laden piss holes of Woodstock back in the flatulent 1960s. The boomer hippies of that generation, still continue to vomit forth their intellectual hangover onto successive generations. Perhaps you’re still feeling the spray from this.

Tlaloc on October 21, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Without question.

Star Bird on October 21, 2014 at 7:09 PM

I think that picking three people is an arbitrary and meaningless test. Maybe they should have asked, “Of the people with whom you regularly talk politics, how many are conservative/moderate/liberal?” That might have been a better indicator.

On the “close friends” front, it makes sense that most “close” friends would share your views. It is easier to become close to someone when you see the world the same way.

Cheshire_Kat on October 21, 2014 at 7:52 PM

I don’t often post political articles or columns on my Facebook page but I posted this one. It will be interesting to see what happens. Of my 80 or so “friends” I’d guess 55-60 are liberal.

ncjetsfan on October 21, 2014 at 7:55 PM

My 90 year old mom wants nothing to do with me since the Bush years. Same with my 60 year old brother. And they’re the only family I really had left. C’est la guerre or whatever.

MaggiePoo on October 21, 2014 at 8:22 PM

I would guess that liberals tend to have more friends/conversations with non-liberals simply by virtue of the fact they’re a much smaller share of the population than moderates/conservatives/conservative democrats. I tgink it’s interesting that these are also the people more likely to block/unfriend yet have more contact as well. That hasn’t been my experience with liberals at all.
I can come up with exactly three that can have a conversation without a) blocking or b) deleting the whole thing like it never happened and continuing on in their little bubble.

“Liberal audiences are spreading their time over many different sources…”
Well, they’ve got a lot to choose from, don’t they? I read Mediaite, NPR, NA Review, and a lotta Hot Gas, but I’d have fingers left over if I were to count the amount of times I’ve been or listened to any of the sites mentioned for right-wing knuckledraggers.

^^ Not that I think their fan base is dragging knuck, mind you. Usually. ;}

Recon5 on October 21, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Oh bullsh#t Tlaloc. Conservatives are seeing more posts from their own peers because liberals *block them* on so many pages – they can’t stand being contradicted and they can’t beat the argument either, so they flag, report and block. Constantly.

Why am I unsurprised you cherry pick one point and ignore the whole picture?

Tlaloc on October 21, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Recon5 on October 21, 2014 at 10:27 PM

I never block my liberal friends on Facebook or on other social media sites.
Some of their obnoxious hyper-partisan screeds are quite entertaining.

StubbornGreenBurros on October 21, 2014 at 10:33 PM

One has to wonder if, after they attain total power, we won’t see a lot more constructs like the death panels. Godless hate-filled leftists can tolerate no goodness or truth in their midst.

Don L on October 22, 2014 at 7:20 AM

Tlaloc on October 21, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Maybe its because, “many are called, but few are chosen?”

Don L on October 22, 2014 at 7:22 AM

It should come as no surprise that conservatives are “cloistered.” What’s the fun in being called evil/racist/sexist/homophobic over and over and over again? Of course most conservatives will weed out individuals in their lives who consistently drag them down or disparage them for their political views.

I’m a young conservative and have many, many liberal friends. I must bite my tongue and bear their politics because I like these people, they are good people, but are misguided. If I were to speak my mind, I run the very real risk of losing them as friends.

TarasBulbous on October 22, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Have been defriended multiple times by liberals who do not agree with my politics. In person, they are unwilling to even have a discussion – they seem to be afraid that they might learn something that could change their point of view.

AmericaDS1234 on October 22, 2014 at 9:27 AM

insular xenophobic world view…

Tlaloc on October 21, 2014 at 6:36 PM

But of course you don’t see that anti-American leftists have their own “insular, xenophobic world view”, do you? Of course not. You people are blind to your own bigotry.

“Jerks?” Sure you’d think that. You anti-American leftards are notoriously stupid and ill-informed. The only things you believe are whatever your masters tell you at any given moment.

Solaratov on October 22, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Oh, wait.

Tlaloc on October 21, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Hardly a landslide, lil leftard. But you believe whatever helps you sleep at night.
Your house of cards is about to tumble…and you know it.

Solaratov on October 22, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Just a few weeks ago an old college classmate of mine asked to connect with me on LinkedIn and I gladly accepted. Her first e-mail to me explained that she’s a political activist for the Democratic party. In my reply, I simply stated that I approach politics from a purely philosophical approach: it’s a choice between collectivism and individualism – and I am decisively an INDIVIDUALIST! After several days she replied that “as long as I’m not a rabid Tea Partier” we can still be friends. In my subsequent reply, I said I was not a “rabid” anything; I reject identity politics and victimhood and no group “speaks for me.” She never answered again and I suspect she has written me off as a “winger.”

Whattayougonnado?

Logic on October 22, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Raquel Pinkbullet on October 21, 2014 at 2:18 PM

It wouldn’t matter if you were the rarest of unicorns. If you espouse views they think you shouldn’t have they will beat you down until you submit. Its just what they believe.

But I feel you. I’m sure as a person with black skin you will get it worse from them. Especially because they will confide in you and you will rebuff them and this will throw them for a loop. They don’t expect to find minorities off the plantation.

theguardianii on October 22, 2014 at 10:52 AM

The reason leftists are more likely to “block” conservatives on social media is the same reason that republican lawn signs are more likely to be stolen, college conservative newspapers are more likely to be stolen en masse, and conservative speakers are protested against and drowned out by hecklers – because the left can’t stand the thought of anyone hearing an alternative viewpoint and can’t themselves handle and alternative viewpoint. That is what happens when you know you are not correct on the merits of issues, instead of debate you try to silence opposing views.

It is also why you see far less republican/conservative bumper stickers. Leftists are far more likely to vandalize a car with the “wrong” bumper stickers than vice-versa.

the left has engaged in fascist tactics since day one and continue to increase, rather than decrease, this conduct.

Monkeytoe on October 22, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Tlaloc on October 21, 2014 at 6:40 PM

You amply prove your disconnection from reality with each and every post here.

H-

Del Dolemonte on October 22, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Star Bird on October 21, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Don’t confuse the Unit with facts. It is not programmed to respond in that area!

Del Dolemonte on October 22, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Tlaloc on October 21, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Quite the opposite. The right has been correct on everything – there were WMDs in Iraq, Russia is a problem, Obama is incompetent and dishonest, Obamacare is going to cost far, far, far more than the left claimed, etc., etc.

The left has not been correct about anything in 30 years. No leftist program has worked (as the right argued each time).

that leftists still cling to failed ideas demonstrates irrefutably that the left is unhinged from reality.

Monkeytoe on October 22, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Limbaugh just mentioned this.

Del Dolemonte on October 22, 2014 at 1:13 PM

I love that NPR is to the left of The Huffington Post.

PBH on October 22, 2014 at 8:45 PM

just proves liberals are closed minded narcisstic fanatics
its their way or the highway.

disagree with them and they freak out

sniffles1999 on October 23, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Au contraire, mon frère. Here’s what actually happens.

Ah, so you have ready justifications for why it’s okay when you do it but wrong when others do. Neat.

A) this article contains evidence contrary to your position- to whit conservatives hide in enclaves that present them only the information they already agree with. We can see that with Fox news, conservapedia, even the many failed attempts at conservative entertainment shows. Conservatives tend to be deathly afraid of dealing with information that threatens their world view.

B) How on earth do you manage to qualify conservatives as more adventurous? I’d love to see that data…

You’re being silly, the percentages are nowhere near 100% in either question, but there’s still a measurable difference.

Star Bird on October 21, 2014 at 6:59 PM

I haven’t blocked anyone, but then I don’t really use FB or any social media. I have a FB profile but only because my wife asked me to make one.

Tlaloc on October 23, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Monkeytoe on October 22, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Oooooohkay.

Except there were no WMDs and Russia is hardly a threat at all. Obama’s competence is nothing I’d brag about, but then given how he keeps spanking you guys I hardly see where it helps you to admit a complete buffoon is better than you…

And obamacare appears to be working reasonably well.

See the things you might learn if you left the echo chamber?

Tlaloc on October 23, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Yep, Obama spankec us hard last month. Do it some more.

CW on December 5, 2014 at 1:28 PM

AND yes there were wmds. The willful ignorance is astounding.

CW on December 5, 2014 at 1:30 PM