Wendy Davis press conference: Meet all my friends who are in wheelchairs

posted at 1:01 pm on October 13, 2014 by Allahpundit

The closest she’s been to Greg Abbott in any poll this year is eight points. The NYT/CBS poll two weeks ago had her down 14. Why not make the race a referendum on whether she cares more about the disabled than a man who’s been paraplegic for 30 years?

The smartest read I saw on the instantly infamous wheelchair ad that had even MSNBC grumbling about her was this one from Sean Davis. What do you do if you’re a Democratic strategist trying to win a marquee race in America’s most famously red state? Simple: You don’t try to win. You try to make bank by encouraging a left-wing cause celebre to run as your nominee, knowing that lots of gullible liberal pro-choice warriors will shower cash on Davis as thanks for her filibuster in support of the right to abort. I saw a lot of tweets on Friday after the wheelchair ad debuted asking, “What sort of people would come up with an ad like this?” Answer: Rich people, my friends. Rich people who know they’re going to lose.

A quote from today’s “I love disabled people, no, really” press conference:

“In 1984, Greg Abbott sought out and received justice following a horrible injury, rightly so…receiving millions of dollars. And I’m glad, he deserved justice for the terrible tragedy that he endured,” Davis said at her Fort Worth, Texas, field office. “But then he turned around and built his career working to deny the very same justice that he received to his fellow Texans rightly seeking it for themselves.”

She added, “Greg Abbott got his justice. Why doesn’t he believe that a rape survivor or a person with a disability or a victim paralyzed forever…should get justice too? What makes Greg Abbott think it’s okay to deny them, his fellow Texans, the justice that he rightly went to court to receive?”

Go watch the wheelchair ad again and listen to the sneer in the narrator’s voice when he notes that Abbott “got millions” after he was injured. Does it sound like Wendy and her campaign are “glad” that “justice” was done? Between that and the sinister shadowy shot of a wheelchair, it felt like they were hinting that Abbott’s millions were somehow ill-gotten, just another Republican rich guy who came by great wealth without doing anything to earn it. You didn’t need to do any of that to make the broader point about his supposed hypocrisy towards other victims. The ad seemed to imply, as Ed put it in his post on Friday, that Abbott being crippled by a falling tree was some sort of “profit-producing enterprise.”

Just to play devil’s advocate, though, let me ask: Is there any evidence that Americans are less likely nowadays to elect disabled candidates? That is to say, if the wheelchair ad is really just a fully audible “dog whistle” to Texans that the Republican candidate is crippled and we can’t trust the state to someone like that, er, why would even a dumb campaign like Wendy’s think that strategy would succeed? Abbott himself makes no bones about the fact that he’s disabled; he talks candidly about it and even appeared in his wheelchair in one of his own ads. The fact that he’s risen as far as he has despite his disability is a testament to his character and work ethic and he knows it, which is why he isn’t shy about discussing it. (And rightly so.) When Gallup polls personal traits that might make voters less inclined to vote for a candidate, it doesn’t even include disabilities on the list anymore. All of that being so, why would Team Wendy think an ad targeting his disability would work? Maybe they didn’t but their choice of imagery and narration just came out very … wrong.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I’m a displaced Texan who has hopes of returning someday. I look at her and think, please, for the love of God, no.

scalleywag on October 13, 2014 at 8:58 PM

I’m embarrassed for the people in wheelchairs that allowed themselves to be used by this cow.

claudius on October 13, 2014 at 9:11 PM

I’m a Texan and a Republican……I think a good opposition makes you better. Er, I’m embarrassed by our opposition.

terryannonline on October 13, 2014 at 10:24 PM

ya know, this stuff just makes me feel like the Twilight Zone. effin obola, ISIL, issis, wtf, and catheter wendy with the crips.

arnold ziffel on October 13, 2014 at 10:52 PM

wonder how many of the wheelchairs belonged to vets??

RonK on October 13, 2014 at 11:25 PM

wonder how many of the wheelchairs belonged to vets??

RonK on October 13, 2014 at 11:25 PM

they were ones no longer needed since the vets never showed for appointments.

arnold ziffel on October 13, 2014 at 11:40 PM

“I has me a Oktober Surpise!”

John the Libertarian on October 14, 2014 at 12:56 AM

“All my friends are brown and red.”

Sherman1864 on October 14, 2014 at 2:32 AM

arnold ziffel on October 13, 2014 at 10:52 PM

But Krugman(n) says Obama is tops as president, don’t ya know?

Sherman1864 on October 14, 2014 at 2:35 AM

I hadn’t seen this yet, so I read it, I watched the video, I re read it and I still can’t believe this is real, I can’t believe that there is anyone who could get this far who could be this stupid. Who feeds this woman?

V7_Sport on October 14, 2014 at 3:55 AM

In this special little menagerie are my brown friends, here are my ‘peaceful muslim’ friends, and over here are my ‘special needs’ super special friends. Aren’t they adorable?

kregg on October 14, 2014 at 5:16 AM

Hey everyone, meet my crippled friends. Cripples, cripples, cripples, I love me some damn cripples.

deimos on October 14, 2014 at 6:51 AM

The simple question here should be:

Do you want anyone this arrogant, pandering, and stupid to be in charge?

(you’re excused if you voted for Obama).

mad scientist on October 14, 2014 at 7:16 AM

If Democrat voters weren’t so incredibly stupid, those kind of optics wouldn’t work.

cajunpatriot on October 14, 2014 at 8:40 AM

All? Michelle O Ad for Wendy Davis: ‘She Wants to Give All Our Kids a Chance To Build a Better Life’

BallisticBob on October 13, 2014 at 1:12 PM

What about her kids?

Oh, right. That’s someone else’s job……

Tenwheeler on October 14, 2014 at 9:03 AM

I’m a Texan. The only way that this B will get elected is if the Dems are successful in cheating by voter fraud. Thats why the voter ID law was struck down by a Dem Lib judge 3 weeks out from the election. Hey it worked to get Obama re elected in 2012. It will be much harder to do here in Texas because we will be watching CLOSELY. This horrible woman will never get elected dog catcher if its a fair vote.

neyney on October 14, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Wendy Davis, leading the war on women by murdering the unborn. No different than a concentration camp commandant. What a whore!

Krupnikas on October 14, 2014 at 11:57 AM

The simple fact that this country is seriously considering this sorry skank for high political office says volumes about the depths to which this poor sick Republic has descended.

rplat on October 14, 2014 at 12:59 PM

“All my friends are brown and red.”

Sherman1864 on October 14, 2014 at 2:32 AM

All my friends are skeletons,
They feel the rhythm with their bones,
SPOONMAN !