Palin to campaign for tea-party longshot in tight Landrieu/Cassidy Louisiana Senate race

posted at 11:21 am on September 26, 2014 by Allahpundit

Probably not fatal to the GOP’s hopes of retaking this seat, but not helpful either.

Per Becket Adams, since when do tea partiers describe rich people as “the one percent”?

[Palin] is slated to appear at a Saturday event organized around [Rob] Maness’s “#OneofUs” campaign, a campaign intended to frame the candidate as an average Louisianan in contrast to the GOP front-runner in the race, Rep. Bill Cassidy, and Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-La.), both of whom Maness has characterized as out-of-touch Washington elites.

“If you could sum up this campaign, it’s two of them vs. one of us,” a source familiar with the event told The Hill.

“Mary Landrieu illegally uses taxpayer dollars to pay for charter planes. Bill Cassidy is hosting Mitt Romney at a white-linen fundraising event for the 1 percent. Former Republican vice presidential nominee and Gov. Sarah Palin will be joining Rob Maness at an event here in Louisiana at a local restaurant with a great story serving some gator.”

As I say, not helpful but probably not fatal. This would be bad, bad news if Louisiana was holding a traditional general election in November, where the candidate with the most votes becomes senator. Maness is polling at around seven to 10 percent; Cassidy is in the mid-40s in most surveys. In a traditional election, you’d be looking at the possibility of a 45/40/15 Mary Landrieu win, with Cassidy and Maness splitting the conservative majority. But that’s not how things work in Louisiana: They hold a ‘jungle primary” in November in lieu of a general election, with the two top vote-getters advancing to a runoff in December unless one of them somehow pulls a clear majority. No one thinks Landrieu is getting 51 percent on the first vote, so even if Palin drives a chunk of tea partiers away from Cassidy and towards Maness, Cassidy’s still going to be in the runoff with Landrieu. Palin might even endorse him at that point in the name of party unity, just as she has Pat Roberts in Kansas.

The question is, could Cassidy possibly reach 51 percent on the first ballot and avoid the runoff with Landrieu? He’d be favored to win, but anything could before December. Democrats will throw everything they’ve got into helping reelect Landrieu, especially if the results on election night in November produce a very narrow GOP Senate majority. For Republicans, it’s much better to win this race ASAP. Maness’s candidacy and Palin’s endorsement of it makes that less likely — but how much less? Noah and I were chatting about it this morning and he flagged these recent numbers from Fox News:

cass

Even if you move all of Maness’s voters into Cassidy’s column, he’s still nearly 10 points away from an outright majority. (The same poll showed him up 51/38 in a head to head race with Landrieu a la the runoff.) If Fox’s data is accurate then Palin’s endorsement of Maness doesn’t much matter: Realistically, it’s already unlikely that Cassidy’s going to get 51 percent during the “jungle primary.” On the other hand, a poll taken earlier this month by Rasmussen showed Cassidy with 44 percent, Landrieu with 41, and “other” with nine — which would put Cassidy within striking distance of winning the election on the first ballot. To make it happen, he needs big-name tea partiers telling Louisianans to forget Maness and opt for the Republican with the chance to win. Palin’s apparently ready to tell them the opposite.

Why would she do it given that Maness has zero chance? The conventional wisdom on social media is that she’s trying to placate conservatives who might otherwise object to her stumping for Pat Roberts. It’s probably the most efficient way for her to behave if she wants to (a) get involved in the midterms down the stretch but also (b) guarantee a Republican Senate. Roberts is the guy who’s in deep trouble, not Cassidy; a conservative campaign against him led by Palin or some other tea-party star really could wreck what little chance he has left of retaining his seat. So she’s going to bat for him but also for the longshot Maness to reassure grassroots righties that, per Maness’s campaign theme, she’s “one of us.” And as I say, it may well be that she ends up endorsing Cassidy anyway before the runoff once Maness is out of the picture.

Exit question: Why would Palin of all people feel the need to prove her grassroots credentials at this point by endorsing a longshot? She endorsed Chris McDaniel against Thad Cochran during a far more competitive, far more important primary where there’s almost no chance of the seat turning Democratic. She’s got nothing to prove.

Comments

MarshFox

Bmore on September 28, 2014 at 9:06 PM

I believe in free speech,

As do I. No one said anything about forcing anyone.

Amusing how people on the wrong side of an argument can always be counted on to make their argument against straw men.

and that the best antidote to false utterances is more speech, not less.

Certainly not always. The best antidote to false utterances is intelligence and common sense. However, since that best antidote is often lacking, and the government can certainly not be counted on to provide it, people often have to go round and round and round for endless years to get to the falsehood of false utterances, and often that fails forever.

You do not seriously believe ‘history’ is made up of truth?

Meanwhile, both truth and people suffer.

Too bad I don’t believe we’re on the same page about this –

Something about which you are most certainly correct.

I believe idolators like you think you should be the deciders of when it’s appropriate for Palin’s critics to speak & when they should shut up.

Another twisted and unfounded belief on your part. I am not a Palin idolator, and I have every right to have an opinion as to when someone else is engaging in indecent behavior with their mindless piling on.

As such, I see that you’re very, very childish.

Anti-ControI on September 28, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Says the person who is whining about my expressing my opinion about when it is inappropriate and indecent for people to be piling on.

fadetogray on September 28, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Another twisted and unfounded belief on your part. I am not a Palin idolator

fadetogray on September 28, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Oh, I so do believe your denial…

Considering that you’re the “adult” who said,

Anyone with an honest bone in their body would just stop criticizing her at all

Whom do you think you’re fooling here? Your effort needs serious work. lol :)

Anti-ControI on September 28, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Whom do you think you’re fooling here? Your effort needs serious work. lol :)

Anti-ControI on September 28, 2014 at 11:38 PM

It has become apparent you are unable to discuss the actual point I was making.

You haven’t even asked me what I think of her. You think you know everything you need to know just because I find mob behavior repulsive.

That hole in your brain has the odor of PDS.

fadetogray on September 29, 2014 at 8:01 AM

Quote for the day by well known demographer/poll analyst in Louisiana.

“Maness was and is Mary Landrieu’s last and best chance to serve another term. ” – Elliot Stonecipher

Kermit on September 29, 2014 at 9:18 AM

It has become apparent you are unable to discuss the actual point I was making.

LOL I know what I need to know about you here because I’ve examined your rheoric…you’re not being rational, but, like an 0bot, you sure are convinced you are! :)

I’ve read what you’ve said, asked for clarification, and your responses have made it even clearer that you are a Palin cultist who’s in denial. The only people who would deny that you are one are others who “think” like you.

That hole in your brain has the odor of PDS.

fadetogray on September 29, 2014 at 8:01 AM

Where have I ever seen this kind of “argument” before? ROFL

You should stop pretending you believe in free speech when it comes to criticism of this particular sacred cow – it’s unbecoming…

Anti-ControI on September 29, 2014 at 4:00 PM

I always describe the one percent as the one percent since 98 percent of them vote democrat. That’s the difference. Democrats and squishys describe anyone who makes over a $100,000, owns their own business and pays for their own health care as “the rich”. Tea Partiers call those people fellow Tea Partiers.

peacenprosperity on September 30, 2014 at 9:19 AM

I should clarify, Democrats and squishys describe anyone, who isn’t a Democrat or squishy loyalist,who makes over a $100,000, owns their own business and pays for their own health care as “the rich”.

peacenprosperity on September 30, 2014 at 9:30 AM

I should clarify, Democrats and squishys describe anyone, who isn’t a Democrat or squishy loyalist, who makes over a $100,000, owns their own business and pays for their own health care as “the rich”.

peacenprosperity on September 30, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Tea Partiers call those people fellow Tea Partiers.

peacenprosperity on September 30, 2014 at 9:19 AM

. . . . . Y E S ! . . . . . : )

listens2glenn on September 30, 2014 at 8:03 PM