Video: Rory McIlroy’s tee shot lands in some dude’s pocket

posted at 7:21 pm on September 12, 2014 by Mary Katharine Ham

Ahem, play it where it lies.

This summer, upon the arrival of young Rory McIlroy at the pinnacle of the PGA with back-to-back majors, Nike quickly capitalized on the buzz about the man who might be the “new Tiger.” Pairing McIlroy up with Tiger Woods, the two shot a funny commercial showing off their trick shots, ranging from impressive to obviously implausible.

Now, life imitates advertising in Atlanta, Ga. at the Tour Championship. Playing in the second round of the tournament, McIlroy’s tee shot on the 14th landed in a grove of trees surrounded by spectators. A young bro in an Auburn shirt, khaki shorts, and shades was moving away from the area to clear the way for the ball when it seems to have bounced off the tree and into the right pocket of his shorts.

McIlroy dropped, maintaining both his good humor and his head despite the ridiculousness of the scene. He managed a par on the hole.

This tops even McIlroy’s famous 2012 tee shot into a dead tree at the PGA Championship in South Carolina:

Comments

Tiger’s problem was he was putting too many of his tee shots into women’s pockets.

jon1979 on September 12, 2014 at 7:29 PM

During his post-round interview, McIlroy said this had happened once before, this year at the Scottish Open. In that instance the ball somehow bounced up the leg of the fan’s pants, coming to rest near his groin area. McIlroy joked that he wasn’t about to retrieve the ball from that area.

TXUS on September 12, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Who got the ball out ?
( can’t watch vid )

burrata on September 12, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Is that a golf ball in your pocket or are you just happy to tee me?

GreenBlade on September 12, 2014 at 7:30 PM

“Is that a golf ball in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?”

whatcat on September 12, 2014 at 7:31 PM

I can barely hit the side of a barn in golf much less a pocket.

docflash on September 12, 2014 at 7:31 PM

GreenBlade on September 12, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Great minds thinking alike.

whatcat on September 12, 2014 at 7:34 PM

burrata, the fan took it out of his own pocket, after they marked the drop spot where his right shoe was, standard rules procedure.

TXUS on September 12, 2014 at 7:34 PM

I’m going with the wood.

/McIlroy

Christien on September 12, 2014 at 7:36 PM

…those shots range from obviously implausible to downright bull shit. i can’t beleive you think any of that was anything but a camera trick.

jaxisaneurophysicist on September 12, 2014 at 7:37 PM

For a lot of years, it worked well for him.

HopeHeFails on September 12, 2014 at 7:40 PM

jon1979 on September 12, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Golf Clap!!

portlandon on September 12, 2014 at 7:42 PM

jon1979 on September 12, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Actually, he was putting a few too many woods in their pockets.

TXUS on September 12, 2014 at 7:45 PM

jaxisaneurophysicist on September 12, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Boy, you sure told her off, Shooter.

WitchDoctor on September 12, 2014 at 7:48 PM

TXUS on September 12, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Thanx TXUS :)
I wonder , if, it, was , Hussein’s shot,
would, he have, rushed, to , get, that , ball , out ?

burrata on September 12, 2014 at 7:50 PM

jaxisaneurophysicist on September 12, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Duhhh. OTOH, I wouldn’t be surprised if there are a million or so LoFoVos out there who’d think they’re for real.

TXUS on September 12, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Can we teach King Putt how to do that? Maybe it’ll spill over into foreign policy where the dumbest thing he does ends up being brilliant.

Yeah, I know I’m a dreamer.

platypus on September 12, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Mary Kat, that Nike commercial is almost two years old. It was filmed and released upon Rory signing with them in January of 2013. I know this because I am Rory McIlroy. I remember filming it very well. It was hot that day and Tiger hit on my girlfriend. Anything else you need just let me know.

Lamont Cranston on September 12, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Hmm. And if the fan walked over to the hole, and pushed the ball out of the pocket into it, what do the rules of golf say?

unclesmrgol on September 12, 2014 at 8:23 PM

TXUS on September 12, 2014 at 7:29 PM

In Scotland, they’re called kilts.

unclesmrgol on September 12, 2014 at 8:27 PM

In Scotland, they’re called kilts.

unclesmrgol on September 12, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Well, he used the term pants, so maybe it was one us Yanks who was there.

TXUS on September 12, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Lamont Cranston on September 12, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Well, Rory, since you called off the wedding with her, I wouldn’t mind getting me some of that sweet Caroline, too. ;-)

TXUS on September 12, 2014 at 8:48 PM

jaxisaneurophysicist on September 12, 2014 at 7:37 PM

God, you’re a blowhard. Um, holes-in-one and shots that close to the pin actually are plausible and possible, not that I think they did them on camera for this commercial. Had I called them all implausible, you’d be the first to say, “HOLES-IN-ONE ARE PLAUSIBLE, DUMB WOMAN!!”

Thank you, Lamont Cranston, for the correction! It must have gone viral again after his big win, and that’s my bad!

Mary Katharine Ham on September 12, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Actually, in Scotland, ‘pants’ means underwear.

Which means the fellow wasn’t kilted.

Scribbler on September 12, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Is that what the kids are calling it now?

Sorry just came from Ace’s place. Still have tears in my eyes.

jukin3 on September 12, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Rory is a cool guy. Competitive focus is useful and all but it’s nice to have a world #1 with a personality, rather than somebody scowling at the green, swearing at shots that aren’t perfect and wincing from “injury” every time he falls to about 4 over par.

Throw in Rickie Fowler, Billy Horschel, Jordan Spieth, and Chris Kirk, and the post-“Tiger era” is going to be just fine for golf.

Gingotts on September 12, 2014 at 9:48 PM

jaxisaneurophysicist on September 12, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Jax, put the physicist brain away. You aren’t Sheldon, and the commercial was just that.

BillH on September 12, 2014 at 10:39 PM

jaxisaneurophysicist on September 12, 2014 at 7:37 PM

I can’t believe how far up your a$$ that stick is apparently wedged.

Midas on September 12, 2014 at 11:55 PM

Lamont Cranston on September 12, 2014 at 8:17 PM

*jumps up*

No – *I* am Rorycus!

Midas on September 12, 2014 at 11:57 PM

I’ve heard of pocket pool before but not pocket golf.

Flange on September 13, 2014 at 1:00 AM

How does any of this help Obama’s golf game???

faraway on September 13, 2014 at 1:02 AM

What professional golfers can do with that darn ball and a bag of sticks is incredible. And, they do it without steroids.

SC.Charlie on September 13, 2014 at 6:34 AM

unclesmrgol on September 12, 2014 at 8:23 PM

I am familiar with most of the rules of golf. I was walking my dog near a golf course on the other side of a water hazard where a golfer had sliced his shot off the course. He yelled to me to throw the ball back to him (which would have been legal for him to play where it landed without penalty.) I don’t throw like a girl, never have, but I picked up the ball and Obama-threw it directly into the middle of the pond, lol. I was planning on helping out the golfer, but he had to take the penalty. lol. I mean, not laughing, well, yeah, laughing about it. All I could do was shrug my shoulders and say “sorry.”

Fallon on September 13, 2014 at 10:28 AM

unclesmrgol on September 12, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Depends on how much favoritism you get from the fans and media.
(This was years before his scandals).

Gingotts on September 13, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Caption to photo

McIlroy-“Dude, one of those is mine.”

yongoro on September 13, 2014 at 1:22 PM