Your weekly reminder the nanny scold coalition can’t be trusted on nutrition

posted at 9:21 pm on September 10, 2014 by Mary Katharine Ham

Surprise! Fat probably isn’t what’s making you fat, despite a decades-old attempt by the government, media, and anyone with a nanny-state inclination to tell you to put down the bacon and butter, or worse, ban it.

Recently, Time ran a cover story entitled “Ending the War on Fat.” Which is nice, considering they’ve not been shy about going after nutritional bogeymen in the past.

Over at NPR, you’ll recognize the results of the study they’re reporting on if you’ve ever known anyone who went low-carb after years of low-fat self-flagellation with no results:

A new study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine adds to the body of evidence that cutting back on carbs, not fat, can lead to more weight loss.

Eating some foods high in saturated fat is not necessarily going to increase your risk of heart disease, a study shows, contrary to the dietary science of the past 40 years.

Researchers at Tulane University tracked two groups of dieters for one year. The participants ranged in age from their early 20s to their mid-70s and included a mix of African-Americans and Caucasians.

The low-carb group, which reduced their carb consumption to about 28 percent of their daily calories, lost almost three times as much weight as the low-fat dieters who got about 40 to 45 percent of their calories from carbs.

The low-fat group lost about 4 pounds, whereas the low-carb group’s average weight loss was almost 12 pounds. Participants in the two groups were eating about the same amount of calories.

The thing is, though, it’s not just the science of the last 40 years that was to blame for steering people wrong. It’s a coalition of nanny-staters in the government, media, and compliant and opportunistic food manufacturers who hype every trend in nutrition research. Scientists offer findings, media extrapolates those findings wildly, government rushes to threaten or place restrictions on whatever has just recently been called “bad,” and food manufacturers perform a combination of folding to government threats and capitalizing on a health trend. And, that my friends, is why I can’t find full-fat Greek yogurt to save my ever-loving life. It’s yogurt. It’s a dairy product. It should have all the fat in it. That’s what it’s for.

Eggs and salt data are among the other overextrapolated, regulated, and demonized of the last decades. The New York Times allowed recently, after years of reporting otherwise, that eggs might not be that bad for you. You can follow my perusal of their path to ignominy and back, courtesy of the nanny-scold coalition, here, along with my thoughts on this infuriating phenomenon:

So, one egg a day doesn’t increase the likelihood of disease and there’s “no data” to suggest even three eggs a day would. But a quick perusal of the New York Times‘ own archives seems to suggest it certainly thought there was plenty of data to scare us off of eggs. I’m amazed again and again how conventional wisdom on foods that are “bad for you” solidifies with so little data to support it. Please see: salt, which I’ve been trying to convince people isn’t necessarily unhealthy for years, but the conventional wisdom is so strong, people think I’m a conspiracy theorist. The New York Times recently came around on this one, too.

Salt is back, baby! But not before overextrapolating, overregulating nanny-scolds threatened entire companies into blandifying their foods for the public’s safety. Yes, large amounts can be dangerous for those who are already hypertensive, but there are plenty of people who benefit from their salt intake and would see no ill effects from large quantities of it.

Back to the study: Those in the low-carb group ate 40 percent or more of their calories in fat and burned about 150 calories a day more than the low-fat group. Yum!

Bazzano says with so many people still abiding by low-fat recommendations, a diet so high in fat might not sound like a good weight-loss strategy. “It’s not the general perception,” she says.

But, in fact, there are a spate of studies that have come to the same conclusion about the benefits of swapping a low-fat, high-carb strategy for a pattern of eating that emphasizes healthy fats and lower carbohydrate consumption.

It’s not just waistlines that respond. The low-carb, healthy fats approach has been shown to cut the risk of heart disease.

Now, you may say I’m in danger of jumping on another nutrition trend. Fair enough, but the trend I advocate for, such that it is, amounts to “Hey, how ’bout everyone not freak out at every study about nutrition and extrapolate it to ban the thing you’re most concerned about your fellow Americans putting in their bodies.” I’m not interested in banning carbs, but a smarter discussion about their effects could be helpful as free people make their free-people decisions. Also, it could help get more full-fat Greek yogurt on the shelves. Seriously, I’ll buy it, guys!

And, free people can use their judgment on when to listen to the government, too. Not all its advice is bad. For instance, I’d take this World War II food pyramid over Michelle Obama’s $2-million color-coded plate or its predecessor, which called for a stunning 6-11 servings of carbs per day.

BUTTER is a food group, and it encourages you to eat some from each of seven food groups, plus “any other foods you want.” That’s my kind of nanny state:

03-lg

Comments

I didn’t think anyone listened to the health-scare-of-the-week crap anymore. In one week, I read that coffee causes cancer AND coffee prevents cancer. That was the last time I listened.

Tard on September 10, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Climate change causes people to be fat. Just look at those porky polar bears.

hepcat on September 10, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Eat what you want and live life.

Bishop on September 10, 2014 at 9:37 PM

You just had to troll me into commenting ;-)

Steve Eggleston on September 10, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Oh, one more thing…
We’re all gonna die!!!!

Steve Eggleston on September 10, 2014 at 9:38 PM

There’s a vast difference between living & surviving. I’ll take living, for the win.

And for those who want some religious support, just remember that Leviticus says “All thing in moderation”.

You only get one shot at life, so enjoy it.

TKindred on September 10, 2014 at 9:48 PM

The bacon is thawing for tomorrow mornings face in the trough bacon, eggs, and no bagel but a big old cup of coffee.

Diluculo on September 10, 2014 at 9:51 PM

But, but…science…

Entrephil on September 10, 2014 at 9:51 PM

I tune them out.

There’s one thing everyone who has lived and died has in common: they breathed oxygen. Oxygen causes death! Don’t breathe oxygen people!!

rbj on September 10, 2014 at 9:52 PM

I believe in eating every day. It has kept me alive for a long time. My taste buds and my budget determine what I eat.

backwoods conservative on September 10, 2014 at 9:55 PM

Where does bacon coated with chocolate fit on that wheel?

Happy Nomad on September 10, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Has Moochelle cut back?

I didn’t think so.

formwiz on September 10, 2014 at 9:59 PM

Death by Food Pyramid by Denise Minger is an excellent read that details the history of food industry lobby influencing corrupt government that results in the mess of bad food advice we are admist today. Also great stuff that actual scientific studies tell us about what we should eat versus avoid versus what it doesn’t really tell us yet. There is also a great variety we can choose based on our genetic differences. But in our family we use common sense and eat food as close to its natural state and the least processed as possible. Animals and plants, little grains, and plenty of healthy fat. Eat the whole pastured grass fed animal, skin, bone broth, and organs, some leafy greens, butter and olive oil, to keep a sharp mind and able body as long as you live. And it tastes good too! A cheat here and there is ok, but once you eat real food you really don’t miss the processed stuff.

rose-of-sharon on September 10, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Oh, one more thing…
We’re all gonna die!!!!

Steve Eggleston on September 10, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Yup. Everyone does. Life has a 100 % mortality.

bofh on September 10, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Just think of those poor school students who are not allowed salt shakers, eggs, hummus, or any other naturally nutritious foods. The kids are STARVING because of her ignorance and interference.

Thanks alot, Michelle!

Ms. Contrarian Scientist on September 10, 2014 at 10:15 PM

And don’t forget the Frito group, the Butterfinger group and the cherry-turnerover-warmed-in-the-micrwave-and-seved-with-a-scoop-of-French-vanilla-ice-cream group.

partsnlabor on September 10, 2014 at 10:16 PM

I tried an experiment this year: I ate bacon and eggs for breakfast every day, eggs fried in the bacon fat, and then I used the fat for other things, like to get a nice crust on a roast chicken. And I cut down my statin to 3 days a week and reduced all the bread I could.

Result: lower bad cholesterol and big increase in good lipids! My doctor is a believer now.

PattyJ on September 10, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Good post. But one thing – GREEK YOGURT?! Because Greek yogurt is trendy I am having a hard time finding my old favorite non-Greek yogurts. When is the Greek yogurt fad going to pass?

grgeil on September 10, 2014 at 10:17 PM

microwave
(I was salivating on the keyboard).

partsnlabor on September 10, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Has Moochelle cut back?

formwiz on September 10, 2014 at 9:59 PM

She’s cut back on Barack’s tasty treats. She’s always asking herself, “Does this ass make me look fat?”

backwoods conservative on September 10, 2014 at 10:25 PM

First off, anyone who tells you bacon is bad is damn communist and should be watched closely. Why? Pigs can take apple cores, vegetable peels and wet grains and turn it into bacon. This is, according to Hoyle, a “miracle”. Miracles are proof that God loves us. Only a commie would deny the miracle of bacon.

Second, there is such a variability within people as far as age, activity level, genetics and other health conditions, that the idea that there is a single diet that’s best for everyone is like one size fits all shoes.

Last, I’m not fat. I have a calorie surplus. I may also have an exercise deficit, but as our government keeps telling us, deficits don’t really matter.

trubble on September 10, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Eat what you want and live life.

Bishop on September 10, 2014 at 9:37 PM

+++++

wifarmboy on September 10, 2014 at 10:28 PM

trubble on September 10, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Comment of the Day™

Steve Eggleston on September 10, 2014 at 10:30 PM

grgeil on September 10, 2014 at 10:17 PM

The only greek yogurt I have seen is mostly sugar water. Every single ingredient listed is either straight up sugar or something with a lot of sugar and water.

pedestrian on September 10, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Don’t follow leaders
Watch the parking meters.

jbspry on September 10, 2014 at 10:39 PM

I just know I feel better and have more energy when I cut carbs out of my diet.

John the Libertarian on September 10, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Where does bacon coated with chocolate fit on that wheel?

Happy Nomad on September 10, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Do you mean the deep-fried kind or the cheese casserole variety?

jbspry on September 10, 2014 at 10:41 PM

I got the typical message from my “primary care provider” earlier this week. My cholesterol is too high but its slowly getting better. Best way to tackle it of course is low-fat diet with high fiber. This despite my being on a low carb diet the past four months and I’ve lost 15 pounds. The “PCP” didn’t even mention the weight loss.

The low-fat deal is so ingrained in the healthcare industry that I’m becoming convinced that we won’t see a change until the old generation dies.

oryguncon on September 10, 2014 at 11:01 PM

Where does bacon coated with chocolate fit on that wheel?

Happy Nomad on September 10, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Bacon is a group unto itself. So is chocolate.

Bigfoot on September 10, 2014 at 11:11 PM

pedestrian on September 10, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Fage total. Full fat, no flavoring, no added sugar. Good stuff… you can even substitute it for sour cream.

Thanks to the low fat quacks and charlatans, it’s almost impossible to find full fat anything in the dairy case.

Wendya on September 10, 2014 at 11:14 PM

If Ancel Keys wasn’t dead, he should be shot. Maybe we should dig him up and shoot him anyway.

applebutter on September 10, 2014 at 11:20 PM

There is like a whole chapter on Ansel Keys in Death by Food Pyramid. Seriously fascinating stuff. Denise Minger was an unknown blogger when she basically shot The China Study to death by statistical analysis.

Much of the government recommendations come from the need to keep costs down in the food stamp program. That is why it’s so carb heavy. Then the absolutely worst food are subsidized to grow by farmers. GMO soy and corn. Absolutely disgusting. And it would be one thing but these recommendations dictate what the military and school lunches consist of. It’s actually scary to me. Once they control our food supply and health care we are screwed and it’s close if not there already.

rose-of-sharon on September 10, 2014 at 11:27 PM

PattyJ on September 10, 2014 at 10:16 PM

I’m going to be getting a blood test later this month for cholesterol, et. al.

I’ve been eating bacon and eggs (fried in the bacon fat) for over two years now. I’ve had “high” cholesterol levels in the past. Wonder what it’s going to be now? My primary care physician scoffed at me back then when I told her a couple years ago that “Cholesterol Is Not the Culprit.”

PatriotGal2257 on September 10, 2014 at 11:31 PM

Wendya on September 10, 2014 at 11:14 PM

Thanks, I will look for it. But it will have to be very good to get me to cut back on my heavy whipping cream.

pedestrian on September 10, 2014 at 11:57 PM

Hey, the Bible clearly says, “Go your way, eat the fat.” Who am I to argue?

(Neh 8:10, more famous for the ending of the verse, “the joy of the LORD is your strength.)

There Goes the Neighborhood on September 11, 2014 at 12:14 AM

Wendya on September 10, 2014 at 11:14 PM

Try Noosa, the Aussie yogurt, if you can find it.

AesopFan on September 11, 2014 at 12:18 AM

Climate change causes people to be fat. Just look at those porky polar bears.

hepcat on September 10, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Haven’t you heard the news? RACISM makes you fat.

Socratease on September 11, 2014 at 12:34 AM

I’m not fat, I’m plump.
Quite plump.

Tard on September 11, 2014 at 12:53 AM

My philosophy on health advice is:

Never take longevity advice from a person under 120 years old

landlines on September 11, 2014 at 1:16 AM

PS:

Liberalism makes you ugly: check the pictures!

landlines on September 11, 2014 at 1:17 AM

Try Noosa, the Aussie yogurt, if you can find it.

AesopFan on September 11, 2014 at 12:18 AM

I’ve actually seen it at one of the local grocery stores but they don’t carry any varieties that don’t have added sugar and for me, that would kind of defeat the purpose of eating it.

Wendya on September 11, 2014 at 1:31 AM

Eat healthy
Exercise religiously
Die anyway

Also, there would be no record-holder named Michael Phelps if the Obama-Socialists were in control of food. Dude had a 12,000 calorie a day diet and was skinny as a rope. I’m sure Janet Evans had a 6,000+ calorie diet as well. And if all women looked like Janet Evans when she was winning medals, I for one would have very happy eyes.

John Hitchcock on September 11, 2014 at 1:49 AM

i’ve certainly no objection to any dissertation on the virtues of low-carb dieting for those who want to lose weight and maintain cardiovascular fitness, but you’ve dangerously overstated the lede: “some saturated fats may not increase risk for heart disease” is a far cry from “bacon and other animal fats aren’t detrimental to cardiovascular health”, and the fact that a more nuanced understanding of the effects of the particular biochemical species of fat has on its metabolism is being explored in detail certainly doesn’t invalidate the many decades of clinical evidence supporting the notion that saturated and trans-fats are associated with elevated risk of heart disease.

some saturated fats, like plant saturated fats, may not elevate risk of cardiovascular disease, but to extrapolate the supposed healthiness of bacon from this fact is imprudent — at best.

jaxisaneurophysicist on September 11, 2014 at 2:07 AM

jaxisaneurophysicist on September 11, 2014 at 2:07 AM

There is no actual evidence that animal fats cause heart disease.

Wendya on September 11, 2014 at 2:42 AM

Has Moochelle cut back?
I didn’t think so.
formwiz on September 10, 2014 at 9:59 PM

Michelle is ready for a long trek thru the desert, just that her humps are in the wrong place.

Sherman1864 on September 11, 2014 at 3:42 AM

rbj on September 10, 2014 at 9:52 PM

I blame my parents for my oxygen addiction. They had it too.

Joel_The_Oneth on September 11, 2014 at 5:08 AM

The goal (always sounding altruistic and reeking of good intentions) is but total control by the leftist octopus. Food is but one of their foul tentacles.

Don L on September 11, 2014 at 5:31 AM

Sad to say, I need to lose a few pounds. So, I went on the Atkins Diet. Basically, no sugar and very few carbs. I’m not hungry. I feel calmer and more relaxed. And, I’m down about 23 pounds.

trigon on September 11, 2014 at 5:50 AM

“Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.”

Redd Foxx

DRayRaven on September 11, 2014 at 6:30 AM

This thread was my morning read before going to work. I just want to say this:

I LOVE THE H.A. COMMENTARIAT! You people gave me a big smile to start my day… oh and the full fat cottage cheese with eggs and bacon helped.

captnjoe on September 11, 2014 at 7:36 AM

Government is unhealthy for you.

Viator on September 11, 2014 at 7:38 AM

But, but, but (fill in the blank) is a Superfood!

Galtian on September 11, 2014 at 7:47 AM

I’m not fat. I’m gravitationally challenged.

CurtZHP on September 11, 2014 at 7:51 AM

What is interesting is that studies that have tried to link animal fat to heart disease have actually shown the opposite effect on cancer rates and overall mortality. In fact, we are not meant to eat only the lean meat, the fat, grizzle, skin, marrow, organs are all packed with valuable nutrients to health.

Another point to keep in mind, not all meats are created equal. I’m not aware of any studies that differentiate between eating hot dogs and packaged lunch meat everyday versus steak from grass-fed cows. Big difference. Animals were not meant to be kept in cages, fed antibiotics, and a diet of GMO grain. How an animal is raised effects the Omega 6 content of the meat. Even my beloved bacon is avoided when processed with nitrates and other crap.

rose-of-sharon on September 11, 2014 at 8:10 AM

Someone needs to do a study on the ill health effects of incessant nagging.

Star Bird on September 11, 2014 at 8:30 AM

I’m not fat. I’m gravitationally challenged.

CurtZHP on September 11, 2014 at 7:51 AM

The Earth and I are very attracted to each other.

backwoods conservative on September 11, 2014 at 9:07 AM

The whole fat causes elevated cholesterol levels which causes heart disease idea was flawed from the beginning in numerous ways. And it caused people to start eating more carbs instead of fat which has caused the average calorie intake to jump by about 500 calories a day over the past couple of decades.

eyedoc on September 11, 2014 at 9:16 AM

I’ve always thought the five major food groups were sugar, grease, alcohol, caffeine, and nicotine.

merlich on September 11, 2014 at 9:18 AM

But, but, but (fill in the blank) is a Superfood!

Galtian on September 11, 2014 at 7:47 AM

Marijuana? These whackadoodles think it even cures cancer.

eyedoc on September 11, 2014 at 9:18 AM

I think at some point in the future we will shun carbonated drinks like we shun tobacco today.

Galtian on September 11, 2014 at 9:29 AM

Saturated fat, land animal, can be neutral or good for you in limited quantities. In larger quantities it is quite harmful to the arteries in many people. It is a cause of the build up of cholesterol leading to heart attacks and strokes. Monounsaturated fat, olive oil, is very good for you. Polyunsaturated fat comes in two subgroups: sic fat, fish oil, is very good for you; trans fat, margarine, is not found in nature and is very bad for you.

Some people think that butter fat, which is necessary for infants, is worse for adults than other saturated fats.

HOTAIR has it’s own nannies who generalize information inappropriately.

burt on September 11, 2014 at 9:44 AM

jaxisaneurophysicist on September 11, 2014 at 2:07 AM

I see I was beaten to it – but there are no studies suggesting animal fats cause heart disease. Rose you may have touched on this, but the whole low fat diet thing came from a radical vegan in I think the USDA offices. He was extolling fat as bad – because he had a silly political belief that it wasn’t right to kill living things – animals – to nourish ones self (Perhaps this was the Keys guy you referenced). But it was OK to kill other living things – plants.

Anyway – the big grain processing companies and food processing companies jumped on that like a moth to a flame. The govts low fat crusade has killed millions of people and created an epidemic of diabetes. Just another example of how the govt doesn’t do things very well ever.

Zomcon JEM on September 11, 2014 at 9:48 AM

When is the Greek yogurt fad going to pass?

grgeil on September 10, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Real “Greek yogurt” is nothing more than actual yogurt. It became a trend because the yogurt in most American stores was over-pasteurized and no-fat and basically worthless as yogurt. Of course, as MKH points out, even the “Greek yogurt” is now basically over-pasteurized and no-fat and basically worthless as yogurt.

Dude had a 12,000 calorie a day diet and was skinny as a rope.

John Hitchcock on September 11, 2014 at 1:49 AM

That happens when you burn 12,000 calories a day. If you sit on your butt in front of a computer/TV for 12 hours a day, you ain’t gonna look like Phelps.

One of the papers I remember reading back in college put everything in perspective. It was specifically looking at “carcinogens”. It came to the conclusion that everything was a carcinogen – if you surpassed the toxic level of it in your body. Really, everything causes cancer in somebody. The question is whether something else kills you (hopefully old age) before your carcinogen reaches its level of toxicity. (And, some things kill you outright before they cause cancer, so you have that going for you.)

And, though MKH repeats the bit about “same amount of calories”, she also hints at the metabolic changes that some diets produce. It is still true, and always will be, that if you burn more calories than you consume you will lose weight, and if you burn fewer then you will gain weight. The substance in food has generally only three ways to go: be burned as energy (and converted to things like muscle and other tissues), be stored as future energy (fat), or out the tail-end of the digestive system. Changing your eating habits can change how many calories you burn doing the same activities.

Everything in moderation (except comments and great s.x!). You will live long and prosper. ;)

GWB on September 11, 2014 at 9:52 AM

But, but…science…

Entrephil on September 10, 2014 at 9:51 PM

Science is never wrong, people.

See Eugenics, global warming, nutrition, evolution…oops, did I say that last one out loud?

fossten on September 11, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Zomcom, you are absolutely right that the big grain and food processing companies who stand to profit enormously from the low-fat craze have huge interest in lobbying the government agencies, FDA, etc. That is one reason why it’s so hard to get good academic information about food and nutrition, there is just so much bad biased stuff out there from many, many sides. Ansel Keyes was certainly one contributing key person historically but I don’t believe he’s who you are referring to. Really the route to where we are is a complicated one mixed with special interests and misguided people with good intentions and people who just didn’t stand up and argue hard enough for what they did know. It’s really a fascinating story though, and I’m even hopeful it’s one that will open the eyes in “health food” circles of the inherent negativeness of the governments involvement in anything. It’s really an interesting topic the more I’m diving into and reading about the more I run into people who are Paleo that are very open to actual research and what it says in an unbiased way who are full on organic and anti-commercial meat and can explain why; and this is opposite of what government advocates and supports. I think if republicans are smart they could capitalize on this but of course they probably won’t.

Anyway, really, listen for the name Denise Minger, I mentioned her first book which was excellent and I hope we hear a lot more from her on this topic. She was a raw food vegan whose health suffered from it and has done massive research into the field. Like I said, it’s really hard finding voices I trust to figure this stuff out!

rose-of-sharon on September 11, 2014 at 10:37 AM

One problem with this whole discussion:

There never has been universal agreement on how you determine whether an individual is “sick” or “well”!

When you come right down to it, it’s an individual decision which reflects multiple kinds of physical and mental trade-offs between pain and pleasure. This is why different “life styles” exist: the alternative is to force individuals to “spend their life” in some way dictated by others (i.e. slavery).

You can’t fix what you can’t measure. This is why food and health treatment choices MUST be left to the individual, and must NOT be turned over to government and/or medical instrumentation and/or committees.

landlines on September 11, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Wendya on September 10, 2014 at 11:14 PM

Agreed regarding Fage. It’s really the only good Greek yogurt I’ve had. And full fat is the only way to go, as you say. Never get skim milk products. What’s the point?

If you must have something sweet on your yogurt, try honey. That stuff can’t be bad for you.

Nomennovum on September 11, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Someone needs to do a study on the ill health effects of incessant nagging.

Star Bird on September 11, 2014 at 8:30 AM

Done. Why do you think men’s average live spans are shorter than women’s? Science!

Nomennovum on September 11, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Rose – I will try and get the name – he was tied to McGovern somehow as well I think. The low fat craze started with a bureaucrat – and when the lobbyists found him – off we ran. My mom is a big foodie – and I am a health care data freak. We disagree about many things politically – but on food I came to it through researching diabetes statistics in a Fortune 100 company, and she came to it through nutrition research and the politics of radical vegans. Different paths, same answer – low fat diets are not very good for you.

Zomcon JEM on September 11, 2014 at 11:18 AM

Man was not created to eat plants, man was created to get his veggies from eating animals that eat plants. :)

And by the way when man was evolving grains and fruits were only available for a short time of the year. Just before winter and when man ate them he gained fat weight to help him get through the cold.

oldernwiser on September 11, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Trader joes has some really good Greek Yogurt too.

Since I keep talking about this book I remembered there were some exerts on-line that promoted me to buy it and I completely forgot there was so much in there about the 1972 Nixon/McGovern election. Who knew it was so related to the war on saturated fat? Thought others might get a kick out of it. The second exert details the creation of Crisco which I just found interesting but maybe I’m a nerd.

A good analysis of one of the red meat studies by the same author.

rose-of-sharon on September 11, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Zomcom, ah I believe the man you refer to is mentioned in the first exert, Pritikin. Ansel Keyes was a whole other chapter. There were many pushing us to the path we’ve gone down but I’m so glad I never jumped on the low-fat bandwagon because I actually like to enjoy my food. :) But I am glad there is good researching coming out now I can enjoy it and feel I’m being healthy too.

rose-of-sharon on September 11, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Alas – Crisco makes one hell of a pie crust – better than lard or butter.

Occasionally some processed stuff has a place, especially since I don’t get a homemade pie very often.

Zomcon JEM on September 11, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Eh, I think plants were put here for us to eat too. But not soley. It is very, very hard to be a healthy vegan if not impossible long term. There actually seems to be a lot of overlap of the vitamins and minerals in leafy greens and organ meat like liver and kidney. Me personally I will eat a few ounces of calf liver and onions any day over a pound of spinach but to each there own. Berries have great antioxidants. There are many ways to the same place. Like the research of Weston A Price who found vastly different groups of primitive hunter/gatherer type society who were very healthy eating a range of diets. But none of the ate processed crap, sugar, cereal grains, manufactured oils. I do think genetic difference play a role to a degree but some generalities can be made for most everyone.

rose-of-sharon on September 11, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Yes, our bodies are wonderfully made and designed to filter out toxins, as long as we don’t burden it too much, one can’t live in fear of food either, that’s not healthy.

rose-of-sharon on September 11, 2014 at 11:42 AM

MKH, if you’re looking for that Fage stuff, they have it at Costco. My sister has my dad and I pick up a couple of tubs of the stuff whenever we go in to do our monthly shopping trip there.

trigon on September 11, 2014 at 11:43 AM

I also think Kroger is selling it in select areas as well.

Zomcon JEM on September 11, 2014 at 11:56 AM

jaxisaneurophysicist on September 11, 2014 at 2:07 AM

Oh absolutely. We should all have at least three servings of nuance per day.

Geez.

Festus on September 11, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Someone needs to do a study on the ill health effects of incessant nagging.

Star Bird on September 11, 2014 at 8:30 AM

Men don’t *want* to live longer lives…….

As to yogurt, I never touch the stuff – unless I make tzatziki. Then I can sit and eat a whole tub of it with a dozen packages of pita bread, and get almost downright sick. I *usually* make some souvlaki to go with it and make gyros – then the next day I sit down with the leftover tzatziki and and the pita. Yum. (I use the recipe from a Frugal Gourmet cookbook. Remember him?)

GWB on September 11, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Eat what you want and live life.

Bishop on September 10, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Exactly! I ave been telling people on these idiotic diets and exercise routines for years that they are fooling themselves if they think they can change their genes. And only a fool believes anything the government says.

My family stopped using margarine years ago. Olive oil and butter are always close at hand. And a hearty Sunday breakfast of bacon, eggs and home fries is pure morning pleasure.

earlgrey on September 11, 2014 at 1:14 PM

I lost 28 lbs in 8 weeks eating all the meat and cheese I wanted, drinking lots of water, and not eating any high glycemic carbs (no fruit, sugar, potatoes, rice, or grains). My blood tests shows no increase in bad and an increase in good cholesterol. It was two or three days of feeling deprived, and then no cravings for anything other than protein. Paleo, baby!

tkmcp on September 11, 2014 at 1:53 PM