Video: Yet another reason not to give up on cash

posted at 7:01 pm on September 3, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

Did hackers breach security at yet another national big-box retail chain and gain access to credit and banking information? Home Depot reached out to customers today to offer consumer-credit protections and urge them to review their banking records after discovering a potential security gap in their system, but they’re not waiting to find out:

The home-improvement retailer said Wednesday that it still hasn’t determined whether a breach actually occurred but told customers they won’t be responsible for any possible fraudulent charges on their credit or debit cards if one did.

The company advised customers to closely monitor their accounts and contact their card issuers if they notice any unusual activity. It also promised to offer free identity-protection services, including credit monitoring, to any affected customers if it ends up confirming a breach occurred.

On Tuesday, Home Depot said it was working with banks and law-enforcement agencies to investigate what it called unusual activity that might indicate a possible payment data breach. The company wouldn’t say more precisely what was being investigated, when the unusual activity was discovered or how many stores might have been affected.

One consumer believes he’s been hacked:

Russian and Ukrainian hackers? Quelle surprise. Still, after the series of earlier breaches, this is more than a tad disconcerting. If this is similar to the hack on Target and others, why aren’t retailers and credit card companies better prepared to resist it?

CBS reports that this might involve more than $50 million in losses, which should start providing some incentive to harden the system significantly. The problem is that we will all be paying for the higher security when it comes:

Chip and Pin technology has been implemented in stores in Europe and is now coming to the U.S. The transaction method contains a chip in your credit card with account info, requires a pin for identification, and according to Hobson, is nearly impossible to counterfeit.

“Everyone’s trying to get in front of this new card reader, which has duel verification, which makes the transaction much much safer for retailer and customer,” Hobson said.

The technology will be in use by most retailers within the next 18-48 months — Walmart already employs the technology — but Hobson says the change will come with a hefty price tag.

“The costs are huge,” Hobson said. “An expected $8 billion to change all these systems around the country, but I don’t know how they could pass it on.”

Let’s hope we can find and punish the thieves, too. With the sanctions war between Russia and the West, there probably isn’t much that can be done at the moment, but long memories will be needed.

Comments

Has this site been hacked…?

d1carter on September 3, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Straight cash homie!

The Notorious G.O.P on September 3, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Look forward to biometric verification everywhere. It’s the only way to connect a digital signature to an individual person. What’s the alternative that stops identity theft? There really is none.

RBMN on September 3, 2014 at 7:11 PM

I think Ed posted this from his Windows Phone.

peski on September 3, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Pretty sure that baby Israeli rhinoceros didn’t have her credit card information stolen from Russian and Ukrainian hackers.

V7_Sport on September 3, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Hey! Dont hate on Windows Phones. I switched to WP and I aint looking back.

bucsox79 on September 3, 2014 at 7:19 PM

I don’t own a credit card.

Don’t own much cash, either.

wolly4321 on September 3, 2014 at 7:20 PM

How is a video of a rhino relevant to the post? I’m so confused right now…

AngusMc on September 3, 2014 at 7:23 PM

No credit card info, just pics of Kate.

Hack away.

wolly4321 on September 3, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Meta story! Story about hacking has been hacked by story about a baby rhinoceros.

thebrokenrattle on September 3, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Hard to spend cash on the internet. Bitcoin on the other hand…

Greek Fire on September 3, 2014 at 7:25 PM

That Russian hackers are creating headaches isn’t anything new or surprising. I just don’t understand why they always have to target the Jews, let alone young Jewish rhinos… Isn’t right, any of it.

Gingotts on September 3, 2014 at 7:26 PM

Is HA phoning it in…?

d1carter on September 3, 2014 at 7:27 PM

18Aug14: “Nashville-based Community Health Systems revealed in August 18 filing with the SEC that 4.5 million patient records were accessed by hackers.”

02SEP14: “Home Depot said it was working with banks and law-enforcement agencies to investigate what it called unusual activity that might indicate a possible payment data breach.”

Plus many, many other incompetent/pathetic/moronic company IT efforts.

Here’s the solution to this problem: JOIN CLASS ACTION LAWSUITS AGAINST EVERY INCOMPETENT OUTFIT THAT LET ***YOUR*** INFORMATION BE STOLEN. A few $BILLION fines against them will then “encourage” them to be more careful with your information!

MicahStone on September 3, 2014 at 7:27 PM

s HA phoning it in…?

d1carter on September 3, 2014 at 7:27 PM

I am just here for the free concert..

Electrongod on September 3, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Funny, they tell us college kids to build up credit, and in the big cities, you end up with millennials holding up lines in stores to pay for a pack of cigarettes or a magazine using their credit/debit cards. I love my cash.

Oh, wait. That makes me a greedy capitalist pig…

Aizen on September 3, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Russian and Ukrainian hackers? Quelle surprise.

For a couple of countries where every city looks like Detroit, and things are held together pretty much with duct tape, they sure have their share of computer smarties.

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 3, 2014 at 7:31 PM

d1carter on September 3, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Dropped call? Technology only fails you when you need it.

Bmore on September 3, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Has this site been hacked…?

d1carter on September 3, 2014 at 7:09 PM

^^^ This

But hey, you gotta love the RhINO video, right?

Mark Boabaca on September 3, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Since I have no idea what this thread is/isn’t about… food fight!!!

Walter L. Newton on September 3, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Why is there a video of Meghan McCain’s birth placed here ?

burrata on September 3, 2014 at 7:39 PM

So when Home Depot starts going under (because folks don’t have jobs or much money), they can blame it all on this like Target is?

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 3, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Since I have no idea what this thread is/isn’t about… food fight!!!

Walter L. Newton on September 3, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Just threw a bun at you… not mine…Pillsbury dough boy’s.

31giddyup on September 3, 2014 at 7:42 PM

And this won’t allow you to buy stuff over the internet any more securely, so it doesn’t help one iota with the hacked systems. (Unless you force everyone to get a reader at home – which I doubt will happen anytime soon.)

THIS ISN’T AN ISSUE OF THE CARDS THEMSELVES. It is an issue of the databases storing the information being hacked. And they should be much more secure than they are. Talking about securing the cards themselves is missing the point.

GWB on September 3, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Looking past all the layers of editors at Hot Air, I am assuming that any card with a duEl verification, rather than a duAl verification means that you will be immediately shot by the machine if you don’t defend yourself.

Old Country Boy on September 3, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Saw a demo where a guy did a google search with some google fu involved and listed out logins and passwords from one the git providers. Some encrypted, some not.

I’m wondering if Die Hard x (can’t remember the name) where the hackers took down our infrastructure was a glimpse into the future.

WitchDoctor on September 3, 2014 at 7:58 PM

burrata on September 3, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Bwah Ha!

peski on September 3, 2014 at 8:05 PM

The credit card is responsible for the worlds destruction, especially America. All credit cards have done is make banks, and the government, filthy rich, while destroying small businesses, and working Americans lives. People with credit cards spend more than they make (live well beyond their means). Businesses lose between 2% and 4% of the sale for credit card fees. All this does is raise the cost of goods to consumers. Cash is king. Society as a whole was much better off when credit cards were not around.

F_This on September 3, 2014 at 8:10 PM

F_This on September 3, 2014 at 8:10 PM

It was difficult making it past your first sentence, but you did eventually make some good points. :)

Our charity loses 3.5% when donors give by credit card, but I don’t want to ask them to give in other ways for fear of seeming whiny or ungrateful.

itsnotaboutme on September 3, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Yeah, I keep getting hit. Jewel Food Store, Target, Michael’s Crafts and now, Home Depot. I’m getting tired of making up new pin numbers…

Fallon on September 3, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Wow

A lot of fear mongering going on here. If you want to be sure that it doesn’t affect you, then go and call your bank/credit card company and ask them to re-issue you a card. It seriously takes 5 minutes. Problem solved.

Hell, Get a google wallet account and do what I do, just pay for everything online with disposable credit card numbers linked to your other credit card accounts.

Every credit card transaction gets sent as a notification to my phone. As soon as something is charged to any of my accounts I know about it. If I don’t know what it is, then I call the bank and they fix it.

Not a big deal people.

Defenestratus on September 3, 2014 at 8:57 PM

… requires a pin for identification, and according to Hobson, is nearly impossible to counterfeit.

The technology will be in use by most retailers within the next 18-48 months …

Ha. “… nearly impossible to counterfeit” means hackers will crack it within 18-48 months.

Ruckus_Tom on September 3, 2014 at 9:00 PM

We’ve had to get 2 new debit cards in less than a year due to stolen card info.

Then a personal friend had his card hacked.. then several friends from FB said they had their cards hacked this past year.

What’s the point anymore.. it’s not worth it. Now we use cash and checks. What’s old is new gain. Cash is 100% hack proof.

I love tho how at the same time card info is getting stolen.. a lot of businesses no longer want to give you receipts. What’s with that? Yeah.. I just handed my card to this 18 year old stranger to pay for my cup of coffee.. who slid it through her scanner 16 times for some reason and then asks..”Do you want a receipt?”

Like.. are you serious? You think I don’t want my receipt for some reason? I don’t even know your freaking name or what freaking country you snuck in here from or what other freaking country you plan on running back to.. and I have no idea what numbers you punched into that machine and you ask me “Do you want a receipt?”

JellyToast on September 3, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Yeah, I never trust female white rhinos with my bread.

corona79 on September 3, 2014 at 9:37 PM

I just ran into a situation where my info was stolen where it would have been safer if the storefront actually had my data stored. It wasn’t a database hack, it was an xml hack that basically keylogged everything–cc name password email etc. If that data had been stored, all the hackers would get is a token.

Affected a lot of online shops that use the same retail software.

Local bank branch was useless, called the main cust svc and they cancelled my card and are issuing a new one. Hopefully I get mine before the mad dash to reissue 50 million cards or so gets going.

MaggiePoo on September 4, 2014 at 4:31 AM

When did the rhino turn into a Dreadnoughtus?

corona79 on September 4, 2014 at 1:50 PM