Brit Hume: Obama told a friend of mine before he was elected, “Wouldn’t it be great for the world if I were president?”

posted at 5:01 pm on September 3, 2014 by Allahpundit

Saw this last night on Fox and had such a good laugh, I feel obliged to pass it along today. There’s no way to prove he said it, but as Megyn Kelly’s quick to show with archived audio, that quote is well in line with the kind of crap Obama was telling himself and the rest of the electorate circa 2007. The most famous summation of his I-am-the-change approach to problem-solving is this one from Andrew Sullivan, written right around the time that audio was recorded:

What does he offer? First and foremost: his face. Think of it as the most effective potential re-branding of the United States since Reagan. Such a re-branding is not trivial—it’s central to an effective war strategy. The war on Islamist terror, after all, is two-pronged: a function of both hard power and soft power. We have seen the potential of hard power in removing the Taliban and Saddam Hussein. We have also seen its inherent weaknesses in Iraq, and its profound limitations in winning a long war against radical Islam. The next president has to create a sophisticated and supple blend of soft and hard power to isolate the enemy, to fight where necessary, but also to create an ideological template that works to the West’s advantage over the long haul. There is simply no other candidate with the potential of Obama to do this. Which is where his face comes in.

Consider this hypothetical. It’s November 2008. A young Pakistani Muslim is watching television and sees that this man—Barack Hussein Obama—is the new face of America. In one simple image, America’s soft power has been ratcheted up not a notch, but a logarithm. A brown-skinned man whose father was an African, who grew up in Indonesia and Hawaii, who attended a majority-Muslim school as a boy, is now the alleged enemy. If you wanted the crudest but most effective weapon against the demonization of America that fuels Islamist ideology, Obama’s face gets close. It proves them wrong about what America is in ways no words can.

That’s a solid statement of Obama’s own view of the significance of his presidency going in, I think. Only he knows what he thought his election and the big Cairo speech in 2009 would accomplish, but it wouldn’t surprise me if he honestly believed it’d be a death knell for jihadism going forward. The death wouldn’t be quick or painless, but having now been deprived of the anti-Americanism that supposedly — supposedly — sustains it, it could only wither and die. That would also explain his fascination with dopey “wrong side of history”/”no place in the 21st century” rhetoric whenever ISIS decapitates someone or Putin invades a neighbor. It could be that O really did believe his election marked a historical turning point in which the diminution of retrograde forces abroad was inevitable. And maybe that’s why a year’s worth of briefings on ISIS didn’t penetrate. Don’t they know they’re going to lose? Haven’t they seen his face?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

What does he offer? First and foremost: his face.

Andrew Sullivan

The face of disaster!

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on September 3, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Although I’m not sure we’ll ever know the truth about Obama since ValJar will never fess up, you should think of him as the ultimate con man.

Some of is high school compatriots knew this. There were stories of his inability to tell the truth, fabricating stories about himself, cocaine, and sex with men to get cocaine.

Don’t believe anything he says. The con man lies even when he doesn’t have to. I don’t know if he’s a secret marxist or muslim but I doubt it.

With Obama you have to watch what he does. I’ve been doing that for years in videos. You learn a lot by carefully observing someone.

I’ve removed most of my You Tube videos, but I have a few still up and one new one on the Granny Jan You Tube channel. The one about his being coked-up is mindboggling.

No Niks on September 3, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Narcissist, vain and selfish to the bone. Someone hand the guy a mirror.

Zorro on September 3, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Out: Hope and Change

In: Hope and Chains

faraway on September 3, 2014 at 5:20 PM

In: Mope and Chains.

There, FIFY. ;-)

I have a long collection of the most amazingly narcissistic statements and actions by Obama that I put together awhile ago… would folks here like me to post it, or would they just get ticked because it’s pretty long?

Rational Db8 on September 4, 2014 at 3:27 AM

Rational I would love to see that.

CrimsonFisted on September 4, 2014 at 7:20 AM

Just his Face?

Watching him move those dainty hands about while he is speaking is creepier.

TimBuk3 on September 4, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Let’s ask those Christians and others butchered in Iraq what they think.

potvin on September 4, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Obama does read Sullivan.

Which explains about half the problems today.

TallDave on September 4, 2014 at 12:00 PM

That’s also why he has such a heard time making a decision. He’s already shown up and made a speech on the subject, what more can be needed?

Fred 2 on September 4, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Of course, he believed it. He has Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

rlwo2008 on September 4, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Has anyone noticed the flat affect in Obama’s voice lately?

Pest on September 4, 2014 at 12:32 PM

And if he had anything to offer other than his face – even a passing interest in foreign policy – his ambitions might have meant something.

dkmonroe on September 4, 2014 at 1:10 PM

They should all look a his face and puke their guts out, therefore dying and eliminating the threat to the US.
Unfortunately, they look at his face and laugh straight into it.
No one, especially terrorist thugs, takes this empty chair/suit seriously.

maryo on September 4, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Just his Face?

Watching him move those dainty hands about while he is speaking is creepier.

TimBuk3 on September 4, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Yes, but watching the video of him pretending to work out is the creepiest of all.
What a wimp. What a loser. What a disaster.

maryo on September 4, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Hilariius.

The right is now so far gone that they’ve resorted to being Gossip Queens.

“a friend of an ex-gf of an uncle told me that Obama thinks he’s SOOOOOOOOOoooooOoooOooooOoooooOOOoO smart!!!! What an arrogant guy he is!!!”

Heh.

New lows, my friends.

New lows.

everdiso on September 4, 2014 at 1:32 PM

everdiso on September 4, 2014 at 1:32 PM

Riiiight. Because 0bama never said anything like “I’m smarter than my speechwriters”……..

GWB on September 4, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Hilariius.

Why yes. Yes, it is. lol

inviolet on September 4, 2014 at 3:20 PM

erdiso on September 4, 2014 at 1:32 PM

GWB on September 4, 2014 at 2:51 PM

I wonder which of the 57 states they come from?

I guess where the corpsmen are from.

itsspideyman on September 4, 2014 at 4:56 PM

The answer to the once rhetorical, now factual query, is no.

As one can plainly see.