Having solved all other problems, Obama to fix your dishwasher

posted at 9:31 am on August 31, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

I guess he really was multitasking out on the golf course. The President’s team has been hard at work behind the scenes, coming up with a strategy … well, maybe we should say plan, to address the nation’s many challenges.

Spurred by President Obama’s climate action plan, the Department of Energy is pumping out new standards for refrigerators, dishwashers, air conditioners, ceiling fans, furnaces, boilers, water heaters, lamps and many more appliances.

The administration says the standards will not only help the planet but also stimulate the economy by saving consumers money on their energy bills that they can spend elsewhere.

After what we’ve been through with energy regulations, you’d think the administration would be at least a little hesitant to leap in for another grab at that brass ring. I mean, won’t a sudden raft of new requirements for the products everyone has to purchase have some, er… unintended consequences? William Teach seems to have been thinking along the same lines.

While the rules may save a bit of energy (and there is nothing wrong with that, though it should be the consumer choice, not Government Mandate), it will also drive up the cost of the appliances/devices, which will harm the lower and middle classes.

Apparently this was obvious to everyone except the White House, and industry representatives were quick to chime in.

But industry groups argue the standards, which will apply to both commercial and household appliances, could slow the economy, and that the Energy Department is rushing the new rules while overestimating the savings. Other critics argue the push to regulate household appliances is evidence of a nanny state.

“They’re not taking the time to get it right,” said Steve Yurek, president and CEO of the Air Conditioning, Heating and Refrigeration Institute. “That’s what we’re concerned about,” he said.

For some reason which I can’t quite put my finger on, this sounds awfully familiar. Changing regulations for everyone’s benefit without taking into account the real world fallout and secondary costs which would inevitably be passed on to the consumer? Give me a minute. I’m sure it will come to me.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

They already effed up my light bulbs and the clothes washer and dryer with their “green” regulations; they need to keep their hands off my dishwasher.

jix on August 31, 2014 at 5:17 PM

government. these are the same asshats that thought a 1.6gal toilet would be a good thing……

Renee on August 31, 2014 at 7:45 PM

I’ve decided that when my current dishwasher dies I will just hire an illegal. I’ll pay them under the table for way less than minimum wage, just like the liberal politicians do.

txhsmom on August 31, 2014 at 10:56 PM

This sounds a lot like
EPA Energy Star
A cesspool of fraud

Tomorrow’s Headlines Today: The DOE Inspector General has issued a report detailing the rampant corruption, abuse, and incompetence riddling the Departments troubled appliance energy efficiency standard program…

Haiku Guy on September 1, 2014 at 4:11 AM

HonestLib on August 31, 2014 at 1:20 PM

Livin on the edge.

Cindy Munford on September 1, 2014 at 8:30 AM

triple on August 31, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Great but that doesn’t really explain government interference in the longevity and efficiency in current appliances. Or lack there of.

Cindy Munford on September 1, 2014 at 8:32 AM

I bought a new dishwasher and range last year. I am suingFrigidaire the Dw is so bad. These products are now like the old Soviet products, designed by the bureaucrazy.

PattyJ on September 1, 2014 at 10:39 AM

When is Jesus coming back?

roux on September 1, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Sorry but do not have enough information here to make a real judgement BUT here is what frequently has gone on in the background on these “PUSH” regs for our own good. A little background digging is definitely called for.

Usually some company or companies do in fact beet or exceeded the proposed new regulation. Frequently you dig a bit and you find that they helped write the proposed regulation and also that they may well have been a big party donator or bundler.

In reality here is what is happing. The Government is paying back for the donations by creating a temporary monopoly in favor of the the Bundler. It is that simple. They have done this before it is pay back time. The party in power gets the money and we “The Home of the Free because of the Brave” get to pay for it. How truly brain dead we have become.

jpcpt03 on September 1, 2014 at 9:16 PM

txhsmom on August 31, 2014 at 10:56 PM

Great part is, they can stay in the space where your old dishwasher used to be! Honest, they won’t need any more room than that. Just don’t let ‘em move their family in.

GWB on September 2, 2014 at 10:53 AM