Feminists oppose anti-date rape drug technology

posted at 9:21 am on August 28, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

Recently the news broke that a group of college students had developed a bit of portable technology which would allow women to test their drinks for date-rape drugs. And by portable, I mean it was nail polish, allowing the lady to dip a finger in the drink and find out if it was doped or not, rather than carrying around a chemistry kit. Pretty good idea, right? Well, apparently not everyone thought so.

Enter one woman with a bit more grasp on reality and who knows a thing or two about getting “roofied.” (And I should say specifically two since it happened to her twice.)

When I was in college I made the mistake of leaving my drink unattended at a bar when I went to dance. I was young and naïve. I hadn’t ever heard of a date rape drug. But somebody slipped one into my drink.

Thankfully I was with friends who took care of me. I have always had a tendency to have more male friends than female friends. Maybe it’s because I’m a bit of a tomboy. Perhaps it’s because I grew up in a neighborhood that was dominated by boys. I don’t know the exact reason. I do remember my friends trying to figure out who did this with the intent of beating him to a pulp. My friends very well may have saved my life…

I have been on the wrong side of these drugs twice now. It has never occurred to me to place the blame on any culture. Even with other obstacles I have encountered in life, I have never thought of myself as a victim. I learn from the situation and I work to avoid those situations in the future.

Instead of cornering myself into the role of victim, I would rather empower myself by preventing these things from happening again.

The author is Rachel Mullen. I’ve had the pleasure of meeting Rachel out on the politico trail in DC and I can assure you that she is a charming and lovely person to talk to. And I don’t just mean “lovely” in the physical sense. (Though the Good Lord didn’t short change her in the genetic lottery for beauty, either.) The article linked above was her initial contribution to the launch of the new blog Guns and Curves, which you should probably start reading immediately.

I particularly enjoyed her default response of personal responsibility on such a sensitive subject. You can read the article to see the rather jaw dropping responses she got from some “feminists” who amazingly opposed this technological achievement. Their reasons were apparently drawn from far too deep in the well of feminist arcana for me to translate into English here, but they seemed to be saying that roofie detection equipment did nothing to stop the scourge of men assaulting women to begin with. This prompted another great response from Rachel.

This is the equivalent to refusing chemotherapy to treat cancer to make a statement that we need an overall cure to cancer. Your principled stand will only get you a trip to the morgue.

I would spend some time here trying to debate the “logic” of opposing something as simple as nail polish which can help prevent a felony, but as usual, at least some women remain an eternal mystery to me.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Feminists oppose anti-date rape drug technology

really? stoooopid

c4 on August 28, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Yeah, newsflash for her…all those male friends of hers that she credits with saving her life are the ones that roofied her. It’s not just a freaking coincidence that she’s been roofied TWICE. Here’s some good advice–get more women friends.

kit9 on August 28, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Why not just wear a Nancy Pelosi button mask? WryTrvllr on August 28, 2014 at 9:24 AM

Akzed on August 28, 2014 at 9:44 AM

As Halloween draws near, Cryptkeeper disguises will become more plentiful!

cableguy615 on August 28, 2014 at 9:31 PM

It has happened twice to me also and I am a guy! (I was not the intended target.) Glad I was with friends too.

I am not painting my fingernails.
I would buy it if were a bar straw.

barnone on August 28, 2014 at 12:02 PM

This would be a great idea! The bars could serve mixed drinks with them and help protect their patrons. Could be a huge selling point for an establishment and would also eliminate the feminist argument by removing the onus from females.

Very smart thinking, maybe you should contact the inventors. Maybe they could cut you in on the profit? :-)

NiteOwl on August 28, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Stay away from bars/clubs, and any gathering where there are a bunch of drunken idiots. These things are magnets for various losers and predators.

It’s just not worth it.

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 28, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Well, I would buy my girlfriend a bottle of the stuff. (Christmas IS coming, you know!) I know I wouldn’t drug her, but I’d care enough to be sure that she wasn’t drugged by someone else.

Of course, I don’t Drink; so I’m not in the Bar Scene. I expect you could slip a roofie into someone’s soft drink, coffee, etc. though.

ReggieA on August 29, 2014 at 1:37 AM

Looks gunsandcurves.com is being blocked by Comcast and several other ISPs. https://twitter.com/GunsAndCurves/status/505116321013841921
I guess the idea of conservative women carrying guns is just too frightening to be allowed on the internets.

WarEagle01 on August 29, 2014 at 10:17 AM

This isn’t a matter of some women remaining a mystery, this is a matter of some women being possessed of deranged lunacy.

russedav on August 29, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Girls, just don’t drink with seedy characters.

Sherman1864 on August 29, 2014 at 10:03 PM

We had a guest speaker at my workplace give a presentation on sexual assault. She was peddling this same tripe. She was opposed to teaching women any common sense measures to protect themselves from sexual assault. Instead, she said, we had to address the root problem, which was our “culture of rape” in our society.

Absolutely asinine.

Shump on August 28, 2014 at 9:29 AM

I have a set answer for that now, because I did some research and we’ve tried this before.

See about 5,000 years ago we had a crime problem, so we started a new policy:
“Thou shalt not kill”.

Now that didn’t pick up the way we hoped, but about 2,000 years ago we made it more hip and cool for the kids with:
“Turn the other cheek”.

And now… we still have murders. Dang, not quite there yet. But we’ve made some progress in many areas of the world with this program all the same.

SO lets not write off “change society” as a solution… but lets have a backup plan, just for the next 5 or 6 millenia while “changing society” takes effect and resolves the problem.

** Yes, I know my biblical and historical accuracy are to say the least questionable; just go with it.

gekkobear on August 30, 2014 at 5:41 AM

They need martyrs. This technology works against that.

cimbri on September 1, 2014 at 3:00 AM