Unidentified senator to Kirsten Gillibrand: “Don’t lose too much weight now. I like my girls chubby.”

posted at 6:41 pm on August 27, 2014 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate, let’s play a game of “guess that senator.” I’ll sweeten the pot for you: The guy who said it is “one of her favorite older senators,” which suggests he’s a Democrat.

There are really only two candidates, right?

“Good thing you’re working out, because you wouldn’t want to get porky!” one of her older male colleagues said. Her response: “Thanks, a—hole,” she said in an excerpt from her book.

An unidentified southern congressman once held the former upstate House member’s arm while walking her down the chamber’s center aisle. “You know, Kirsten, you’re even pretty when you’re fat,” he told her…

Gillibrand has struggled with her weight, going between a Size 4 and Size 16 after giving birth…

After she dropped 50 pounds and got elected to the Senate, one of her favorite older senators walked up behind her, squeezed her waist, and intoned: “Don’t lose too much weight now. I like my girls chubby.”

I know what you’re thinking. It has to be Diamond Joe, right? It’s impossible to read those words and not hear his voice. But if the timeline is correct here, it can’t be him: Gillibrand didn’t join the Senate until late January 2009, a few weeks after Biden left to become vice president. He was an ex-senator by then. She didn’t get “elected to the Senate” until late 2010, which would push the timeline forward even further, when Biden had already been gone from the chamber for more than a year and a half. For the same reason, it can’t be Ted Kennedy. He passed away in 2009, after Gillibrand was appointed to her seat but long before she won her special election. And Kennedy was frail and only appeared in the Senate sporadically in 2009, after she arrived.

What we’re looking for is a Democrat who’s older, prone to saying moronic, offensive things, and was himself a member of the Senate in good standing in late 2010 or after. Is there anyone out there who fits that description? I can think of someone:

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid had an unusual form of praise for New York’s junior senator, Kirsten Gillibrand, this morning at the fundraiser Mayor Bloomberg hosted for him at his townhouse – referring to her as “the hottest member” as she sat just a few feet away, according to three sources.

The comment prompted Gillibrand to turn red, according to the sources, and created a bit of stir among the small crowd there.

“It was pretty shocking when he said it,” said one source familiar with the remark and the reaction.

He said that in September 2010, shortly before her election. Hmmmm. John McCormack points to another classic Reid anecdote:

Once, while waiting for President Obama outside the Oval Office, Reid greeted a tall female West Wing staffer by telling her she was his “favorite big woman,” while Obama adviser Valerie Jarrett was his “favorite small woman.” Reid quickly “clarified,” telling her he only meant that she was his favorite big woman “at the White House.”

That’s our Harry. And she did once call him “an extraordinary man,” which arguably qualifies him as “one of her favorite older senators.” Granted, it’s unfair to speculate based on evidence this thin, but then Reid’s never had a problem with speculation based on thin evidence himself. And yet … I don’t know. If I’m being honest, I’d have to admit that it doesn’t sound like him. Putting your hands on a woman’s waist and telling her how you like your “girls” smacks of lechery; it’s a weird type of come-on. Maybe that’s a side of Reid the public doesn’t get to see, but it doesn’t fit with the image we have him. He’s the consummate nasty old man, a guy prone to saying offensive things because he either doesn’t care enough to be considerate to people or actively enjoys smearing his enemies. He seems vaguely detached from the people around him, not on the make. Even the “hottest member” comment about Gillibrand feels like a compliment he reached for because he felt like he needed to layer on praise and was just too dumb and tone deaf to see how it was demeaning. I don’t know. I’m not prepared to vote guilty here.

Exit question: Sean Davis floats a dark-horse candidate. Could he be right? A man who once allegedly played “waitress sandwich” with the Lion of the Senate is a strong candidate for an outre remark. And he did serve with Gillibrand after she won her special election, if only for a few months.

Comments

The whole idea that any democratic woman would be “hot”, kinda makes me throw up in my mouth.

redguy on August 27, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Democratic women office holders are mostly 3 ‘baggers’

gerrym51 on August 27, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Bill Clinton is now a senator?

VorDaj on August 27, 2014 at 6:46 PM

So he’s a Chubby Chaser?

Hell, don’t mess around with Gilli, go for the Gold baby!

Mary Landreau.

ToddPA on August 27, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Well considering black dude like fat white women my guess is Booker.

The Notorious G.O.P on August 27, 2014 at 6:47 PM

it can’t be Ted Kennedy. He passed away in 2009

Ted Kennedy has now been sober for 5 years!

VorDaj on August 27, 2014 at 6:48 PM

If you make this accusation you should come clean about who it is. If you’re not prepared to do that then keep it to yourself. Floating this and then being coy about who it is brings large numbers of people under suspicion. It’s chickensh!t.

Mark1971 on August 27, 2014 at 6:49 PM

It’s Harry Reid so baseless speculation is entirely fair. BTW, has he ever denied those pedophile rumors I keep hearing about?

rbj on August 27, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Gillibrand looks ok (for a democrat), but HOT?…..NO!

Alabama Infidel on August 27, 2014 at 6:50 PM

I don’t think I will ever mistake any member of the Democrat caucus in Congress with Cindy Crawford in her prime. Or now in her late 40′s.

ConstantineXI on August 27, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Gillibrand looks ok (for a democrat), but HOT?…..NO!

Alabama Infidel on August 27, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Hildabeast Sr. Hildabeast Jr., and Sandra Fluke represent the supermodels of the Democrat Party.

ConstantineXI on August 27, 2014 at 6:52 PM

It’s pretty obvious it’s Senator Menendez, NJ.

He likes chubby Dominican women…

ToddPA on August 27, 2014 at 6:54 PM

We are calling Bill Clinton Senator now?

Oil Can on August 27, 2014 at 6:54 PM

It has to be a dim. This is something Biden the clown would say, but since he was VP by then, Reid is the most logical choice.

cat_owner on August 27, 2014 at 6:57 PM

I wouldn’t call it speculation. He just makes stuff up and says he has proof.

Fenris on August 27, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Hell, don’t mess around with Gilli, go for the Gold baby!

Mary Landrieu.

ToddPA on August 27, 2014 at 6:47 PM

“Festival! Festival!”

Judge_Dredd on August 27, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Can’t be Reid, he likes little boys and hasn’t proved otherwise.

LoganSix on August 27, 2014 at 6:59 PM

“Don’t lose too much weight now. I like my girls chubby.”

Probably the same Senator who said. “I like a little cushion for the pushin.”

Bmore on August 27, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Well considering black dude like fat white women my guess is Booker.

The Notorious G.O.P on August 27, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Booker? really? it clearly says one of her favorite older senators after she gave birth.

But from your comment, I am going to say that your wife ran away with a big, strong, black man. Well you know what they say. She ain’t coming back, so stop being so bitter.

coolrepublica on August 27, 2014 at 7:01 PM

rbj on August 27, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Notably, he has not.

Evidence of a guilty mind, if you ask me…

JohnGalt23 on August 27, 2014 at 7:02 PM

We are calling Bill Clinton Senator now?

Oil Can on August 27, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Who said it had to be Bill Clinton? There’s another Clinton that used to be a Senator.

HumpBot Salvation on August 27, 2014 at 7:03 PM

coolrepublica on August 27, 2014 at 7:01 PM

How many times were you dropped on your head as a child?

HumpBot Salvation on August 27, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Hey, she ought to be grateful for the compliment. Liberal female politicians aren’t often complimented on their looks – at least not by men.

Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth, sister.

Pork-Chop on August 27, 2014 at 7:05 PM

I’d go with Dodd too. He’s safely out of the Senate and harms way. Since this was in her book, I don’t think she’d write anything that could be tied to Reid.

IR-MN on August 27, 2014 at 7:06 PM

How many times were you dropped on your head as a child?

HumpBot Salvation on August 27, 2014 at 7:04 PM

just once. why?

coolrepublica on August 27, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Probably the same Senator who said. “I like a little cushion for the pushin.”

Bmore on August 27, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Or who said, “I like my babes with butts which have their own zip code.”

TXUS on August 27, 2014 at 7:08 PM

coolrepublica on August 27, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Said the person who claims to be a black woman who married a Caucasian man and had his children.

thatsafactjack on August 27, 2014 at 7:12 PM

thatsafactjack on August 27, 2014 at 7:12 PM

She does a fabulous job taking care of them as you can plainly see.

Judge_Dredd on August 27, 2014 at 7:13 PM

ConstantineXI on August 27, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Don’t worry, the democrat Cindy Crawford is on her way…..if the democrats can round up enough fraudulent votes in Georgia this fall :-).

Alabama Infidel on August 27, 2014 at 7:14 PM

Gillibrand, his Asian joking. He’s beginning to crack.

jake49 on August 27, 2014 at 7:14 PM

I like my dames with a little meat on their bones. No fat, just meat. Sweet, sweet, meat.

Akzed on August 27, 2014 at 7:15 PM

I’m sure that only Republicans make those kinds of comments.

southsideironworks on August 27, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Well considering black dude like fat white women my guess is Booker.

The Notorious G.O.P on August 27, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Booker isn’t “into” women.

Pork-Chop on August 27, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Judge_Dredd on August 27, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Yes, indeed. We’ve discussed that issue before. She says it’s alright. She has a ‘mobile phone’.

thatsafactjack on August 27, 2014 at 7:15 PM

I think it was Chuck FU Schumer, or my dark horse.. he’s dumb enough, he’s perverted enough and doggone it he’s a big enough scumbag.. Al Franken…

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 27, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Well gee..Senator Place Holder writes a book and then steps in it…

BigWyo on August 27, 2014 at 7:17 PM

coolrepublica on August 27, 2014 at 7:01 PM

thatsafactjack on August 27, 2014 at 7:12 PM

She married him for the money.. I’m sure.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 27, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Harry only likes little boys. Who else?

crrr6 on August 27, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Senator Mix-A-Lot for the win.

HumpBot Salvation on August 27, 2014 at 7:18 PM

“waitress sandwich”

rotf

an outre remark

Once again, Axe couldn’t understand the problem.

Axe on August 27, 2014 at 7:19 PM

I’m going with Chris. It had to be Chris. Even as clumsy as it was, that comment was still too smooth to have been Harry Reid.

forest on August 27, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Funny thing is before Gillibrand got nominated to the Senate..she was one of those “blue dog democrats” we keep hearing about..

Apparently, her charade even fooled the NRA who endorsed her in her congressional bid.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 27, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Mark1971 on August 27, 2014 at 6:49 PM

S. D. on August 27, 2014 at 7:23 PM

I’ll nominate Dick Durbin…

So who’s going to call all the offices to get on the record denials until there can be only one????

rw on August 27, 2014 at 7:23 PM

it can’t be Ted Kennedy. He passed away in 2009

Ted Kennedy has now been sober for 5 years!

VorDaj on August 27, 2014 at 6:48 PM

After the mind-numbing workday I’ve had today, I thank you very, very much for the huge guffaw that comment elicited from me. :-D

theotherone on August 27, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Ted Kennedy has now been sober for 5 years!

VorDaj on August 27, 2014 at 6:48 PM

theotherone on August 27, 2014 at 7:25 PM

I always used to say “You know? Somewhere Ted Kennedy is already half in the bag.” Lousy besotted pig. From that filthy clan that had the largest detrimental familial impact on the traditional American way of life.

Judge_Dredd on August 27, 2014 at 7:27 PM

ConstantineXI on August 27, 2014 at 6:52 PM

About to throw up my dinner.

Others have already said it, but it was likely a Democrat because the media would have already been sounding the WAR ON WOMEN alarm had the senator been a Republican.

Aizen on August 27, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Doesn’t matter. Democrats never get in called on the carpet for treating woman like poop. And it was probably Bush’s fault that the Democrat said it.

Walter L. Newton on August 27, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Aizen on August 27, 2014 at 7:32 PM

They always tell us who it is by NOT telling us who it is. If it had been a Republican, everyone in the free world would know about it by now.

Alabama Infidel on August 27, 2014 at 7:38 PM

redguy on August 27, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Still, you had to admit she is hot. Movie star looks.

/no, it wasn’t me. Haven’t even BEEN to Washington DC in years. And I’m a conservative.

LashRambo on August 27, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Has HA jumped a curb and become People Magazine?

What does this have to do with anything? I though the story was about a lecherous old man in the Senate who was hitting on women in the House.

Sorry I read it that far.

BobMbx on August 27, 2014 at 7:42 PM

It was probably her senior senator, Chucky.

lonestar1 on August 27, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Alabama Infidel on August 27, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Yep. If it was someone like Jim DeMint or even McConnell? MSNBC would be on a 24/7 “War on Women Watch.” They probably wouldn’t even break for commercials.

Aizen on August 27, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Monica Lewsinsky’s ex-boyfriend is a chubby chaser, too.

Rational Thought on August 27, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Size 4 to size 16?? What’d she give birth to, a yak?

OccamsRazor on August 27, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Wait….wasn’t Ted ‘The Lion of the Senate’ Kennedy still above ground at the time???

BigWyo on August 27, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Size 4 to size 16?? What’d she give birth to, a yak?

OccamsRazor on August 27, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Well, if there’s anything to genetics…

Another Liberal Imbecile???

BigWyo on August 27, 2014 at 8:07 PM

BigWyo on August 27, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Well some one apparently didn’t RTFA….

Not the first time…and probably not the last….

BigWyo on August 27, 2014 at 8:10 PM

So, in his Walter-Mitty-fantasy world, Harry Reid is Sir Mix-a-Lot?

RedPepper on August 27, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Capitol Hill is certainly a magnet for drunkards and reprobates.

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 27, 2014 at 8:11 PM

You had me confused for a moment, Allah. I thought somehow Dirty Bob Filner had somehow gotten quietly elected to the US Senate.

But then I knew it couldn’t be Dirty Bob. He likes to recommend that the women come to work without panties on.

GarandFan on August 27, 2014 at 8:18 PM

coolrepublica on August 27, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Just because your boyfriend left you doesn’t mean he left for a white woman, unless you meant a fat trashy chick from Arkansas.

Jaibones on August 27, 2014 at 8:21 PM

AS far as the unnamed Senator goes, he’s either a Democrat or a Republican from a non-swing state. Democrats have no honor, when it comes to politics, so he’d be named for sure.

bflat879 on August 27, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Ayup…I can hear Schmuck Schumer saying something like that…

Newtie and the Beauty on August 27, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Still could be Joe, he President Pro Tem, after all.

formwiz on August 27, 2014 at 8:29 PM

“Should be glad they didn’t make a sandwich with you.”
Unidentified WDC Waitress

jukin3 on August 27, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Just because your boyfriend Baby Daddy left you doesn’t mean he left for a white woman, unless you meant a fat trashy chick from Arkansas.

Jaibones on August 27, 2014 at 8:21 PM

BigWyo on August 27, 2014 at 8:46 PM

it could have happened when she was still a congresswoman (07-08) and joe was still in the senate.

TheIkrim on August 27, 2014 at 8:52 PM

forest on August 27, 2014 at 7:19 PM

I can’t picture those words coming out of Reid’s mouth. Dodd, yes, Biden, yes, Franken, maybe, Schumer, maybe, but they seem too coherent for Reid.

talkingpoints on August 27, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Katie Pavlich just finished a book on Democrats incredible hypocrisy towards women, and its too bad this story didn’t come out in time to be included.

MTF on August 27, 2014 at 9:28 PM

For it to be Harry Reid, you would first have to believe that Reid was “one of her favorite older senators.”

That seems unlikely.

There Goes the Neighborhood on August 27, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Can’t be Reid. Her quote had no obsessive tangent about the Koch brothers.

anuts on August 27, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Can not be Dingy Harry, he lines little boys.

Techster64 on August 27, 2014 at 9:43 PM

I don’t care, if Gillibrand is too cowardly to out those douchebags then she deserves what she got, and she certainly isn’t helping any other woman who might be getting such treatment at work.

And what is it with pols writing these books, she’s almost a female version of Dog Eater. Gillibrand has been in office since 2006…whoop de frikkin’ do…and now is apparently a fount of special knowledge that us plebes need her to explain.

Bishop on August 27, 2014 at 10:02 PM

TheIkrim on August 27, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Her son, Henry, was born in 2008. Theoretically, it could’ve been Biden who made the pass.

Still, Schumer would’ve had more pull to get Gillibrand into Clinton’s vacated Senate seat…

Newtie and the Beauty on August 27, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Just a little friendly fire in the War on Women.

Buckshots on August 27, 2014 at 10:27 PM

I’m with the Twitterer in the link: Chris Dodd was the first guy I thought of as well.

My reasoning was that Teddy was ill by the time she made her way to the Senate, so why not choose his most notoriously disgusting fellow pervert?

Gingotts on August 27, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Bishop on August 27, 2014 at 10:02 PM

Nailed it. That is clear proof that her self-proclaimed importance on protecting women against douchy old perverts comes second to the ever-present priority of circling the party wagons. If you won’t expose the creeps, then nothing changes. In fact, it tells perverts they’re safe to sleaze out on their own caucus, and considering so many skeezoids are Democrats, bad news for Kirsten.

And as for the book: if Chuck decides she should run, then she’ll run. She could win too.

Gingotts on August 27, 2014 at 10:48 PM

My first thought was that it was Barbara Mikulski (D-MD), but I’m gonna go with Chuck Schumer. He likes Kay Hagan (D-NC), too. He pretty much paid for her election in 2008 via the democrat senatorial PAC.

SouthernGent on August 28, 2014 at 12:25 AM

Maybe it was Liawatha. That sort of thing is all okey-dokey, now.

trigon on August 28, 2014 at 2:00 AM

Hottest member of the Senate is an extremely low bar. Kinda like being the skinniest kid at fat camp. At any rate it’s not even true, Kelly Ayotte is the hottest member of the U.S. Senate.

Lamont Cranston on August 28, 2014 at 5:09 AM

Mark1971 on August 27, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Yup, and, just for giggles, I’ll throw McCain’s name in.

Fallon on August 28, 2014 at 7:50 AM

No Rspect.

Kissmygrits on August 28, 2014 at 9:32 AM

With re: to Reid’s hottest Senator comment, I’m not sure why AP considers complimenting a beautiful woman to be demeaning her (although he probably should have chosen a different word). We’re way too tense about these sorts of things.

K. Hobbit on August 28, 2014 at 10:30 AM

my bet is on Chuckie

RonK on August 28, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Once a House of Representatives member I met told me that he wanted to blow up the moon with nuclear weapons, invade Mars, and rule the world with mind control rays.

No, I won’t tell you who, or where, or when…. you just have to believe me.

What do you mean I have to prove a claim or provide some evidence before you’ll believe me? That’s not how Journalism works anymore; my claim is true until proven false.

That or this might be completely made up horsesh*t, or true, or exaggeration. We we have no way to tell which it could possibly be.

Why would I bother with it without some reason to suspect it’s accurate?

gekkobear on August 28, 2014 at 1:05 PM

This is just more of the commie-dems war on womyns.

earlgrey on August 28, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Simple Town Hall questions for Senators that would be fun to ask:

Did you tell Kirsten Gillibrand you like chubby women?

What would you say to the Senator who told Senator Gillibrand she was chubby?

Is a Senator who called Kirsten Gillibrand a chubby women an example of the war on women?

Should Kirsten Gillibrand name the Senator who told her she is chubby?

These write themselves…