Two legal guests tell CNN their Brown shooting audio might be a hoax

posted at 10:41 am on August 27, 2014 by Noah Rothman

For more than 24-hours, CNN has been regularly playing a clip of audio which purports to reveal the exact moment when 18-year-old Michael Brown was shot by Officer Darren Wilson. Each time it was played, the CNN anchors and hosts noted that the sound could not be independently verified by the network, but it was just too good to wait to play it for viewers.

CNN’s ratings have been phenomenal since the violence in Ferguson erupted, and the network has displayed a tendency in the past to latch onto any development no matter how dubious that keeps a ratings-grabbing story alive. The suspect audio supposedly of the moment when police shot and killed Brown may be another of these moments.

On Wednesday morning, CNN’s Michaela Pereira invited two former law enforcement officials on the program to discuss the authenticity of the tape.

“I’ve told your producers that for all I know this is one of Howard Stern’s punk people,” former LAPD officer David Klinger said. “It came out, what, two weeks after the event, and so I don’t have a high degree of confidence in it.”

“But, it could be real,” he added without much enthusiasm.

Klinger noted that his first inclination is “someone is trying to punk CNN.”

CNN law enforcement analyst Tom Fuentes seemed to share Klinger’s opinion. He left open the possibility that the audio, which to him sounded dubbed, may have been manipulated by CNN’s producers before it was aired. “My producer says that’s all we were given,” Pereira said.

“When I heard this yesterday, I thought the exact same thing: it’s a hoax,” Fuentes added.

He went on to note that, even if the tape is real, it supports the claims of both Brown and Wilson’s supporters and is not of much evidentiary value.

If this audio does prove to be a hoax, it is not an understandable mistake that anyone could have made – if only because everyone didn’t make it, just CNN. When a story that still commands significant audience attention runs out of facts to report, incidents like these are more likely to occur.

CNN’s coverage of the events in Ferguson has, for the most part, been both compelling and informative. The ratings the network has earned are deserved. However, if this audio does turn out to be inauthentic, it would be another opportunity for CNN to learn the lessons of their saturation coverage of the missing Malaysian passenger airliner; sacrificing credibility for ratings is never a good tradeoff.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Couldn’t believe Megyn Kelly covered this BS last night.

ctmom on August 27, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Poor dumb Megyn believes in White Privilege

faraway on August 27, 2014 at 2:01 PM

CNN is the hoax

faraway on August 27, 2014 at 2:01 PM

The ratings bonanza will still belong to CNN even if the audio turns out to be a hoax. They probably won’t suffer much loss in viewership regardless. A 15 second apology will be sufficient for most of their viewers, and some would be just fine with no apology at all.

Plus they can spend the next week or so on an in-depth analysis of who might be responsible for the hoax, and how the doctored audio may have been created (unless it is somebody working at CNN, in which case tune in to FoxNews for the details).

s1im on August 27, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Are extraterrestrials involved?

Schadenfreude on August 27, 2014 at 2:13 PM

FreeRepublic says the guys words come exactly from a South Park episode.

sentinelrules on August 27, 2014 at 2:24 PM

FreeRepublic says the guys words come exactly from a South Park episode.

sentinelrules on August 27, 2014 at 2:24 PM

It’ll be funny as hell when someone posts the link to that episode along side the recording.

CurtZHP on August 27, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Poor dumb Megyn believes in White Privilege

faraway on August 27, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Yeah, heard that and my opinion of her rationality dropped – a lot. Maybe because she is white and has privilege, but not true in general. At least in this century.

IrishEyes on August 27, 2014 at 2:32 PM

That’s one of the reasons I like my XDM9mm so much. 19+1.

VegasRick on August 27, 2014 at 12:04 PM

.45 ACP – Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!

Para Ordnance 1911 Expert Carry: 8+1

WaldoTJ on August 27, 2014 at 2:33 PM

I’ve never had any problems with the police but I’ve never looked for any either.
They just show up and try to help out when I call them and that’s all I can ask.

gracie on August 27, 2014 at 1:28 PM

The vast majority of people go their entire lives with little or no interactions with police.

Judge_Dredd on August 27, 2014 at 2:36 PM

I’m surprised CNN doesn’t come up with audio where you can hear someone clearly yelling “I am gonna shoot you in the back! Here I go …I am shooting you in the back. There is one shot in the back, There is two shots in the back …”

The Notorious G.O.P on August 27, 2014 at 2:49 PM

I’m surprised CNN doesn’t come up with audio where you can hear someone clearly yelling “I am gonna shoot you in the back! Wait, let me turn off Tea Party Radio Here I go …I am shooting you in the back.

The Notorious G.O.P on August 27, 2014 at 2:49 PM

FIFY

faraway on August 27, 2014 at 2:52 PM

The only person stupid enough to fall for this is Don Lemon.

tetriskid on August 27, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Gosh, maybe they’ll hire Dan Rather to authenticate such things in the future?

Don L on August 27, 2014 at 3:54 PM

FreeRepublic says the guys words come exactly from a South Park episode.

sentinelrules on August 27, 2014 at 2:24 PM

CurtZHP on August 27, 2014 at 2:30 PM

OMG…they have video too!? Why do we care? You’ve caught Mas B’s best in a ruse. They’re just dancing for their master.
“CNN. You will respect our athorytie.”

onomo on August 27, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Two legal guests tell CNN their Brown shooting audio might be a hoax

Most of us here at HA said the same thing yesterday.

dentarthurdent on August 27, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Most of us here at HA said the same thing yesterday.

dentarthurdent on August 27, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Dorian Johnson said it was a hoax three weeks ago on MSNBC.

BigAlSouth on August 27, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Para Ordnance 1911 Expert Carry: 8+1

WaldoTJ on August 27, 2014 at 2:33 PM

I’ve been considering the Para with the double-stack – so 14+1.
But for now, my carry is either a Glock 9mm (10+1) with a spare mag, or S&W Model 60 revolver (5 rounds of .357 Mag) with a spare speed-loader. They each have their pros and cons.
I’ve got some 33 round mags for the Glock, but it’s kinda hard to concealed carry those…..

dentarthurdent on August 27, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Dorian Johnson said it was a hoax three weeks ago on MSNBC.

BigAlSouth on August 27, 2014 at 4:34 PM

LOL – yup.

dentarthurdent on August 27, 2014 at 4:35 PM

FreeRepublic says the guys words come exactly from a South Park episode.

sentinelrules on August 27, 2014 at 2:24 PM

got a link?
I cannot seem to find it there.

dmacleo on August 27, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Judge_Dredd on August 27, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Yup – well, except for those of us who get the occasional speeding ticket….
However, most of us also know enough not to jump out of the car and attack the cop who pulled us over, so we rarely get shot…..

dentarthurdent on August 27, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Yup – well, except for those of us who get the occasional speeding ticket….

dentarthurdent on August 27, 2014 at 4:45 PM

heh heh some of got 4 felony speeding tickets.
cannot outrun the radio though, so pulling over (even when cops could not keep up) and flagging them over kept me out of jail for the night a few times.

dmacleo on August 27, 2014 at 4:47 PM

got a link?
I cannot seem to find it there.

dmacleo on August 27, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Here you go

sentinelrules on August 27, 2014 at 4:55 PM

heh heh some of got 4 felony speeding tickets.

dmacleo on August 27, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Heard an Air Force seurity cop say that once (not to me) – “you might be able to outrun my Bronco, but you can’t outrun Motorola.” That was especially true at Cheyenne Mountain (NORAD) for the idiots who would try to outrun the cops going up the access road – which dead-ends at the parking lot, security building and tunnel entrance…. dohhhhh….

My tickets have all been in the 10 over ballpark at revenue generation speed traps – so nothing too bad.
But my oldest son almost lost his license for a 90 in a 45 – very lucky the cop didn’t write him and the other kid for street racing – but the fine was still $500.

dentarthurdent on August 27, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Praising CNN coverage is a good signal that ignoring this writer’s work will be a better use of my time.

Adjoran on August 27, 2014 at 5:03 PM

CNN. “The most trusted name in news”. Yeah, right.

cat_owner on August 27, 2014 at 5:20 PM

doesn’t sound like shake weight to me, nor the big jim weight model

dmacleo on August 27, 2014 at 6:41 PM

You have to be s***ting us, right? If not, everyone with a brain should ignore anything else you post at HA. I mostly already do. After this, it won’t be mostly, it will be ignore you all the time.

they lie on August 27, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Dd they find the Malaysia jet liner yet?

Galtian on August 27, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Most trusted name in news!

R. Waher on August 28, 2014 at 12:29 AM